[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is good linux lightweight linux distro for uefi based laptop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

What is good linux lightweight linux distro for uefi based laptop?

I alot of the lightwieght os I tried would not work because my laptop is uefi based.

I tried installing gentoo but on the handbook it says to use the hybrid iso for uefi systems but I cant seem to install it would only boot from usb.
>>
I've been distro hopping for a year or so with a uefi laptop and I find arch slackware and "lightweight" *buntu distros work fine with it.
If you have a Ethernet cable nearby just get a server version of a distro and build from there.
>>
>>62156698
Buntu is alright but I cant really seem to be able to customize it the way I want it to. I cant get assece to the root account. I might check out archslackware. I dont know enough about programing to make my own distro.
>>
>>62156727
Sorry forgot the comma. I was originally intimidated by arch's setup myself, but the documentation really helps unless you've got the same WiFi card as me. If you want to avoid that then Slackware runs out of box. Vector Linux is based on Slackware and its supposed to be the lightweight alternative. Though Slackware itself has the choice between xfce and kde through the installer.
>>
>>62156554
ZorinOS
ZorinOS Lite
>>
Curious tho is there anyway I can get gentoo working on my uefi system or no
>>
>>62157160
Why the fuck would you use gentoo?
>>
>>62156554
You're a fucking faggot, I use Debian for the most part but idk about UEFI compatibility. Look into Gentoo and Arch
>>>/g/fglt
>>>/g/sqt
>>62156727
>Buntu is alright but I cant really seem to be able to customize it the way I want it to.
Tell us what you want you dipshit
>>62157191
Gentoo is genuinely good with a tiny performance footprint if set up correctly
>>
>>62157209
>gentoo is better for performance
Yeah, but it's not worth waiting for everything to compile especially on a weaker device.
>>
Alpine; i think you can even just use efistub to boot it.
>>
>>62156554
>uefi
NSA-OS
>>
>>62157236
I agree on that, compiling from source is a pain. I wish I could just install Gentoo without throwing away like a day compiling on my toaster.
>>62157256
Unironically you could debloat windows as much as possible. I've seen some shitpile pcs run Win7 through 10 using Athlons and Phenoms
>>
>>62157209
I want to theme it to look like windows but I cant get access to root account. Not talking about sudo -i

>>62157240
I tried apline I doesnt know much about programing to get my own desktop environment

>>62157306
I was just thinking of copying the source code from the cloveros thing. I like what they are doing but no uefi compatability
>>
>>62157209
>I use Debian for the most part but idk about UEFI compatibility.
i works fine
>>
>>62157347
on ubuntu you have to do expert install and select "allow login as root" as one of the install choices. it defaults to "no" otherwise.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-08-29_21-25-34.png (385KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-08-29_21-25-34.png
385KB, 1024x600px
>>62157347
>I want to theme it to look like windows but I cant get access to root account. Not talking about sudo -i
What do you mean, have you ever tried googling your question?
KDE Plasma and Xfce feel a lot like windows if themed accordingly. Since you're going for a lightweight approach you'll have to take the Xfce approach to things and theme accordingly. I have a recent screenfetch attached
>>
>>62157458
Nah like I got the theme file but I cant put it in the theme folder because its a system root file. I dont have access to the root account because it wasnt asked for during installation. I can get temperarty get access to the root account if use sudo -i but the command to move the file to theme folder wont work
>>
>>62157458
the correct answer is this >>62157403
>>
File: gentoo-g.png (16KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-g.png
16KB, 180x180px
>>62156554
It was never merely a meme.
>>
>>62157347
apk add x11 yourwm xorgserver xinitrc
simple
>>
>>62156554
>>62157160
Yes, you can follow the entire handbook up until the final step, where you need to install a bootloader, and then you can just pop in an Ubuntu LiveCD to install GRUB for UEFI
>>
>>62157732
Interesting so any ubuntu liveusb works? I think I have mint downloaded
>>
>>62157732
>and then you can just pop in an Ubuntu LiveCD to install GRUB for UEFI
or quit being a newb and use the expert install that has this as an option
>>
>>62157765
yes, if it can boot in UEFI mode. Once it's booted, verify that it's booted in UEFI mode. If you don't know what any of that means then you might want to read a bit more about it.
>>
>>62157517
.themes my boi
>>
The problem is 32-bit UEFI. My tablet got one and refuses 64-bit OS even though it has a x64 CPU.
>>
>>62157961
>>62157517
Forgot to add, you can just ALT F2 and log into the root account, install sudo. do visudo or sudo nano /etc/sudoers, give yourself root access following the debian wiki and not reinstall
>>
That sucks. My computure runs 64bit windows
>>
>>62156554
fucking hell just fuck off
>>51971506
>>
>>62159604
excellent post old chap
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.