[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best best way to destroy a hard drive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 1503210591737.jpg (39KB, 599x555px) Image search: [Google]
1503210591737.jpg
39KB, 599x555px
What is the best best way to destroy a hard drive?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>62042434
Nigga just whack it with a hammer once and all information stored on it is lost forever
>>
>>62042434
Sand the platters then throw them in a fire
>>
File: 1499896916587.jpg (93KB, 791x427px) Image search: [Google]
1499896916587.jpg
93KB, 791x427px
>>62042434
bury it in the sand
>>
format it then format it again then encrypt it then put it in the microwave then check if it works if it does then encrypt it 5 more times then put it on the microwave in frozen food mode then put it in a tub full of water and then add salt then drop a card battery in the tub then drain the tub then dissasemble the hard drive then scratch all the platters then put each of them in the microwave in frozen food mode then cum on them then cut each platter in half then shred them then melt them and make a keychain containing the rsa key to decrypt them.
>>
>>62042434
Use it normally.
>>
>>62042434
take off the little main board
rub it on your carpet
set it aside
pry open the drive
pull out the platters
play this song
chttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo
grab your hammer and start smashing to smithereens
collect the bits and put in bowl
add milk (can be done in reverse if you prefer milk first)
get your spoon and eat it
consume lots of fiber
poop it out
flush
??????
>>
>>62042434
The official guidelines say that you need to rub a magnet on each of the plates and then put them through an industrial grinder. If you're poor you can replace the industrial grinder with a hammer. If you're not too paranoid you can just do a few random-fills on the disk and call it a day.
>>
>>62042434
Black hole
>>
>>62042434
dunk it in lava
>>
File: abomination.jpg (49KB, 828x960px) Image search: [Google]
abomination.jpg
49KB, 828x960px
>needing do anything more than smashing the platters
>Thinking your data is so important to someone that they will try to recreate it from metal dust
>>
magnets
>>
magnets. then smoke that fucker with a blowtorch or propane torch either of which you can get for about 20 bucks at walmart in the camping section.burn that fucker till its black and keep burning it.
>>
>>62042861
Sauce on manga?
>>
Use DBAN, and recycle it, don't trash it

>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>62042434
Use about 2 pounds of thermite on hood of your car.
>>
smash the platters then rectally insert the dust
>>
>>62042434
Scrap for components. Manly the magnets. Might come in handy...
Then just sand the plates and throw in a bin, nobody will notice ;-|
>>
Pop the lid off and thermite the platters.
>>
>>62042434
Thermite. That said, if you take a circular saw to it, breaking it down into pieces, and throw it in a smelter, that should work, too.
>>
Easy answer? Make sure no one even finds it.

Even the smallest fragments can still carry data to be recovered.
>>
Drill a hole right through it
Or open it and splash the plates with a hammer. Be creative.
>>
Drill a hole right through it
Or open it and splash the plates with a hammer. Be creative
>>
install windows 10
>>
>>62042434
Grind the entire thing to dust, scatter that dust to the 4 winds, then drive the planet into the heart of the sun, then push the sun into a black hole. Only way to be sure brah.
>>
>>62043201
Fuck off O'Niell
>>
>>62042434
The most glorious way to destroy hdd is to attach it to a nuke and launch it to North Korea
>>
>>62042434
Take it to a lab, deconstruct the drive into its component atoms, pair them up and smash them together at the LHC after making certain no results data is being recorded, then drill into the earth's core deep enough that lava erupts into the LHC melting it completely and embedding it in cooled rock, then construct a giant catapult and launch the LHC molten mess at the moon, which will cause a chain reaction where the moon will eventually crash into the sun, using the resulting energy to create a small black hole to devour the sun and the earth.
>>
>>62042434
take the cover off
fire it up
get a screwdriver
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>62042434
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb #or whatever device your using

then you can destroy it, bury it, toss it in a river, or whatever
>>
>>62042434
Reverse the Earth's magnetic field, then no hdd will work ever again!
>>
>>62042434
Hydrofluoric acid and stir
>>
cum on it
>>
>>62044774
this.

that way no one would would ever want to touch it, anyway.
>>
>>62044346
Does this mean that HDD on Mars runs better than on earth?
>>
A non meme answer is the drive needs to be degaussed to truly guarantee all the data is gone. A poor man's method would be to open the drive, remove the controller, then bake the platters at 400 degrees F for half an hour. Once the magnetic material hits the curie point, the field orientation will randomize thoroughly. Destroy the controller via microwave for 10 seconds. You could also just toss the whole drive into a nice strong bed of coals and leave it. Don't breathe the smoke.
>>
>>62044876
>going through all this bullshit
>not just using the DoD method for sanitizing drives.

What would anyone find if you wiped your drive twice and then filled it with random bits?
>>
>>62044901
>in b4 EoF bits

Yeah I know those stay around if its just a reformat, but I also am pretty sure that linux dd and rysnc can overwrite all the file header and footer info.
>>
>>62042434
I broke my old HDD up and buried pieces in my yard under some newly planted bushes
>>
Right click quick format on Windows 10 Pro
>>
>>62044901
That takes absolutely forever for large drives and doesn't guarantee the controller reliably and truly overwrote all the data without firmware tricks and hacks getting in the way. My method has a constant time complexity. It's guaranteed to take half an hour independent of capacity and absolutely ensures no data is encoded on the platters.
>>
>>62045011
Hmm, I was sort of implying time as being a non-issue, but I see your point. I'd hate to wait for a 4tb HDD to wipe twice, then wait again to overwrite it.

Its highly unlikely that a malicious agent or third party actor would able to tamper with the drive midwipe. The firmware issue on the other hand is more of a backdoor thing, and I have yet to see any evidence that intels ME or amd's PSP can save file headers/footers.
>>
>>62043008
>take off mainboard
>realize i have no carpets

OF FUCK GUYS WHAT DO I DO? I DON'T WANT AFRICANS GETTING MY DATA AND BLACKMAILING ME!!!
>>
>>62042927
upboated xD
>>
>that way no one would would ever want to touch it, anyway.
>Implying whiteboi wouldn't lick it deliciously
>>
>>62042434
Stick a western digital logo on it. Works every time.
>>
>>62044324
underrated post
>>
I would guess an ordinary fire would be enough for most purposes. Just remove the platters and barbecue them.
>>
File: 3KZzO9h.png (141KB, 477x474px) Image search: [Google]
3KZzO9h.png
141KB, 477x474px
>>62042434

drill that bitch
>>
>>62043181
this. i did it yesterday
>>
>>62043197
>you can see the sadness in its eyes
it already knows
poor thing
>>
>>62043197
>>62043197
Poland was a mistake
>>
>>62042434
melt it down in a furnace
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.