[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to use old laptop as a home server/media center. Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (45KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
45KB, 1200x794px
I want to use old laptop as a home server/media center. Don't have much experience with linux, only used lubuntu before. I've read that debian or centos would be most suited for a server so I'm thinking one of these. Biggest problem is, I have no idea how to run a server, and everywhere online it's just people recommending one or another shitty program for that, what would you guys recommend? Should I go easy mode and use something like freeNAS? My aim is mainly to be able to stream music/video to my phone and tv.
>>
>>61935398
Just pick anything, it's all the same shit.
>>
>>61935398
>>>/g/sqt/
>>
>>61935398
I installed CentOS on my old ass Lenovo laptop and I couldn't even login. After some research it was a graphic driver problem

Install Debian, it just werks
>>
install cloveros
>>
You want a lamp stack LAMP is Linux apache MySQL and php. You can use just abt any distro and flavor would work
>>
>>61935398
install debian with cli or xfce depending on whether you want to use it remotely via ssh or actually interact with it.

pic related
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_i_reading.jpg (51KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_i_reading.jpg
51KB, 600x450px
>>61935714
I don't think he wants any of that
>>
>>61935398
K O D I
O
D
I
>>
>>61935754
You right. My reading's bad today. Im p sure turnkeylinux would have an img that is pre set up
>>
I run Plex on either Debian or Fedora (I don't remember which and I'm not at home right now so I can't check). It works well.
>>
>>61935398
Running Plex on Ubuntu Server -- Works pretty well
>>
>>61935398
>My aim is mainly to be able to stream music/video to my phone and tv.
A NAS would probably be all you need. However you won't learn much about how to maintain your system if you use some default provided webinterface.

If you want to go full server, I'd recommend you learn some typical terminal commands, at least the ones that allow you to interact with the filesystem. Most server oriented software doesn't provide a gui, so you'll be stuck dealing with it in a terminal anyway. As far as distros go, just get Debian or some Ubuntu variant, or even openSUSE. CentOS is a bit difficult for a beginner to deal with, so skip it.
>>
>>61935398
Too broad. There are several if not infinite options. Best advice for someone new to servers is to follow a 10 step guide for something basic prebuilt streaming software.

The more you do it and understand it you can move onto more in depth media server stuff.

Plex is a great option.
>>
OP here. I think I'll try out Plex for the time being. I'll move onto some more advanced stuff knowing I can use Plex comfortably already. Thanks for advice, everyone.
>>
>>61935398
Ubuntu is actually just fine as a server. There's also the option of using Fedora for your purposes.

I do not recommend CentOS or Debian for your home media center server. Not at all.

The main reason that CentOS is a great serverOS is that it's using very old packages and it's not updated with anything but bug-fixes. If you're going to put up a bunch of webservers or some service that will serve thousands or millions of people a day and downtime will cost you thousands of dollars an hour then it's a fine choice. I use it for co-located webservers myself.

My home server is running Fedora. It's got newer packages. It's easy to install "non-free" things like ffmpeg with full support. Nobody cares if I reboot that box once a month or turn it off when I'm going away for a while.
>>
I have two boxes, a CentOS for LAMP stack, and a Ubuntu for Plex & Deluge
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.