[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/net/ - Computer Internetworking Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: rack.jpg (72KB, 698x400px) Image search: [Google]
rack.jpg
72KB, 698x400px
post stuff related to computer internetworks and internetworking
>certs
>swtiches
>routers
>servers
>software
>projects
etc etc
>>
Wrong board OP, /g/ is for browser wars and linux distro shitposting.
>>
>>61810023
oh trust me I already know, I'm the first person to tell the people with promise to go to >>>/diy/ but this thread doesn't belong anywhere else

we'll just have to hope the brainlets pass this thread by
>>
so I'm studying for my CCNA
I already bought a cisco catalyst 2950 off ebay for like $20 (pics incoming I did a few mods) but now I want a router to go with it but I can't break the bank because I'm a starving college student

what secondhand routers do you guys recommend for a beginner/CCNA cisco lab? What else should I get for my lab?
>>
File: 20170808_235312.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_235312.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>order catalyst 2950 off eBay
>Plug that bitch in
>rreeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>internal stock fan sounds like a literal jet engine
>apparently this isn't even uncommon and it's just par for the course
>fuck that noise I'll figure out how to make it passive
>rip heatsink off old processor
>put thermal paste on switching ASIC
>take a bunch of copper plates I ripped off another old processor heatsink
>slide them into the heatsink grooves
And now it works passively, save for the system state light staying amber all the time
pic related
>>
>>61809961
Ooh boy, real topics.

Right now at work, I've been working on importing/writing compliance rules into SolarWinds.
In my case, they're the DISA STIGs, and it's sort of tedious work, but at least regex and I are buddies now.
Should cut our workload down to nothing when it comes time for inspection. Fixing violations on 200+ devices with a simple script push is an incredible feeling.

>>61810203
God-tier jerry-rigging skills.
Just be careful not to get btfo on the power supply.
>>
>>61809961
Suggestions for a decent home lab server to run network virtualization?

From what I understand, GNS3/Virl want more cores as opposed to faster cores.
Would it be worth looking into a used server like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Server-ProLiant-DL380-G7-16-Bay-2x-2-66GHz-HexCore-64GB-RAM-no-hard-drives-/222488259474?hash=item33cd556b92:g:uw4AAOSwjDZYdBNv&autorefresh=true
>>
>>61810471
how did you get your current job and what all do you do?
>>
>>61810577
Enlisted in the Air Force.

I work at one of the NOCs, my team is responsible for the network infrastructure of our data center/NOC (routers, firewalls, proxies, switches), and also managing the boundary suite at all the other bases.

I just happened to get luck of the draw with my assignment, many other people who enlisted with me got comparatively shitty assignments working T1 circuits or 25 year old crypto tech.
>>
File: its_time.jpg (17KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
its_time.jpg
17KB, 500x382px
>>61810055
I got my CCNA Routing & Switching 3 years ago. Scored a 986/1000 my first try on the test. Never used my cert, now it's expired
>>
>>61810999
I'm in the same boat.

Are you working in IT?
>>
>>61810999
>>61811026
desu I don't care if I ever really have to use the cert, I just want the bump in pay and to use it as a foot-in-the-door for when I graduate
>>
what did you all use to study for the ccna?any books to recommend?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.