[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tesla Model 3 reveal event

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

File: tesla-model-3-debut-invite.jpg (102KB, 2120x920px) Image search: [Google]
tesla-model-3-debut-invite.jpg
102KB, 2120x920px
https://livestream.tesla.com/

Tesla is presenting their new car. Again. Let's watch.
>>
I'm in california and its 30 till 9pm
>>
https://youtu.be/TFnHDJddqZk
>>
How is the chick relevant?
>>
>>61617434
Well this is surprising considering I know of places that still have jobs open for parts that go on the model 3 that aren't finished.
>>
It's up.
>>
Why is the black chick the only one who memorized their lines.
>>
Is tesla the new apple?
>>
Tech nigger out of nowhere
>>
Is this Franz a homosexual?
>>
>>61617776
Pretty sure everyone in the crowd is a homosexual
>>
Elons chunky.
>>
any news on if they're going to fix the horrible dash?
>>
Elon needs to work on his stuttering.
>>
>>61617807
Being bad at speeches is what makes people like him.
>>
>>61617434
>Sign up to watch
What the fuck
>>
>>61617817
Just put in anything, don't need to verify
>>
looks red
>>
Heheheh
>>
Lmao icbms
>>
wooooo
>>
*futuristic music starts playing*
>>
50 cars per month ok
>>
Elon Musk: 3 is a letter
>>
>>61617923
З
>>
>>61617923
It's a shot at Ford.
>>
I r8 5/10.
Video production saves it. Everyone had speech impediments.
>>
https://electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/
>>
File: tesla model 3 instrument panel.jpg (2MB, 2500x1560px) Image search: [Google]
tesla model 3 instrument panel.jpg
2MB, 2500x1560px
I don't like that the Model 3 doesn't have an instrument panel, seems like it's gonna be harder go get some quick information while you're driving if you have to turn your head to the right instead of just glancing down so see important information like current speed.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesla-model-3-minimalistic-interior-2017-7
>>
File: 3122ba65f54e1c451c1127ebe68eb8aa.jpg (393KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3122ba65f54e1c451c1127ebe68eb8aa.jpg
393KB, 1600x1200px
>>61618370
That was never a problem.
>>
>>61618370
While it would be nice to have a dial, How important is a speedo really? most of the time you'll just be going at the same speed as everyone else and that's good enough. and its not like there's a rev dial to worry about with an electric motor.
>>
I don't like how it's focused on autonomous driving and that it has glaringly useless (to me) features like the glass roof and bluetooth entry.

I want to pay 5K$ less and not have those features please.
>>
I thought this was going to flop because Li-ion's battery endurance issue but I've read up people still getting 90% original battery life from previous Tesla models after hundreds of thousands of kms.

I still don't know whether it's more cost effective to run electric than gas but that's one major hurdle passed.
>>
Does it have any of the self driving features that the other models have? Then I can almost see the centre console making senses
>>
>>61618370
Several french cars have their information in the centre i guess. But it's far more discernible than the picture i've seen on the model 3's centre console.

Though perhaps the part that is relaying charging information changes over to driving mode?
>>
Huh, watching some videos the model 3 does seem pretty nice, the interface isn't so bad looking.

If i get a pay rise maybe i'll see about getting one.
>>
Does it charge 50%* in 10 minutes or less? If the answer is no, then electric cars can go fuck themselves.

* I know asking a battery to go from 0 to 100 quickly is too much, so let's limit it to going from 25% to 75%, which should be the range in which they charge the fastest.
>>
File: model-3.jpg (218KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
model-3.jpg
218KB, 1200x1200px
Holy shit, just look at this thing! At only $45k ASP, there's NOTHING comparable on the market right now. You literally CANNOT buy a better car for under $45k.
>>
>>61617708
>Tesla
>ever turning a profit
>>
>sign up to watch

how about no
>>
>>61618370
If the car fails, I feel that this will be one of the contributing reasons. They really messed up by centering the car's information, I understand that some cars have gauge clusters set up like this, but the point of the Model 3 is to be mass market, and most of the market does not do it this way for a reason.

Hell they could've even just done an HUD in addition to the screen and it would've been fine.
>>
>>61617434
muricans didnt have atom power plants did they?
how is an electric car good for them?
>>
>>61618388
have you ever driven a Mini? Looking at the big center speedo is distracting. That's why they included a digital speedo in the rev counter
>>
>>61619672
>french
>knowing anything about cars
>>
>>61619410
i remember honda had a hydrogen powered car years ago but i dont hear about it all the time
electric is a meme by the musk fad
>>
>>61618370
oh and don't forget pwm is a thing
>>
>>61618388
that "car" is terrible
>>
>>61622870
It shifts the blame for pollution from the individual to the power plants. Reducing carbon footprint then becomes much easier for the state, as now they just need to produce funding for nuclear energy plants or other alternatives. For example, my state already gets 45% of our energy from one nuclear plant.
>>
South Park was right. All these people do sniff their own farts.
Even if I wanted an electric car I wouldn't want to be seen as a Tesla owner.
>>
>>61618388
That design is retarded, how is the rpm meter more important than the speedometer?
>>
>>61623061
it's not. that's why the car was originally sold without a rev counter. The rev counter was an aftermarket thing added by tuners.
>>
File: 85417257.jpg (394KB, 1024x690px) Image search: [Google]
85417257.jpg
394KB, 1024x690px
the 'event' looks retarded so far, 12 mins in
maybe they dont care anymore??
>>
>>61619410
>I still don't know whether it's more cost effective to run electric than gas

Of course it is, the issue is that your Tesla/Bolt starts at $40K while you can get an excellent lightly used gas vehicle for around $10K.

You can go very very far with $30K in gas, engine checkups and oil changes.
>>
>>61618370
Honestly looks great except for the tablet taped to the middle, it looks really out of place.
>>
>>61623227
You're making the wrong comparison. Comparing any new car to a used car is going to be a massive difference in price, which is why most people don't buy new.

If you want to do an apt comparison, wait 4-5 years and compare a Model 3 to a BMW 3 series in price and maintenance. A used Model S now is going for the same price as a comparable used BMW 6 series.
>>
>>61623061
You don't even need a fucking speedometer if you're racing. Rev counter is somewhat useful.
>>
>>61623371
It's not a racecar, anon.
>>
>>61617547
Well, you don't actually need a 100% finished product in order to reveal it.
>>
>>61623386
Lots of people race minis. It's actually a really popular race car. Always has been.
>>
>>61623417
It's not meant to be a race car, anon.
>>
A B S O L U T E L Y B E A U T I F U L
>>
>>61622832
You can start watching as soon as you enter an email, and there's no confirmation needed. Just supply some random shit.
>>
>>61617923
He wanted Model S, Model E and Model X. Ford holds the trademark for 'Model E'. So it's Models S3X.
>>
>watch the tesla-

Eh I'll pass. Just fill me in on their marketing bullshit this time, I need a laugh.
>>
>>61617806
The dash is cool.
The front end styling is horrible.
>Look everyone. We put a huge blank template where the grill opening should be to remind everyone e-cars don't need grill openings.
>>
>>61618388
That's a mini: an excellent example British automotive garbage.
>>
>>61618390
Because there are other times and places other than rush hour in the city.
>>
>>61623953
No means no
>>
>>61617814
he looks like a faggot
>>
>>61623329
Dude...an 85d battery is $12k. After 10 years, that's more than most used cars cost.

The fact is that the used car market is going to plummet if EVs go mainstream. Once batteries go bad, people will send their cars to scrap and buy a new or slightly used one.

Cars should not be consumed goods.
>>
>>61625070
> used gas car market will explode

Ftfy
>>
>>61625070
The batteries themselves have an 8 year warranty and have a degradation rate of 1.25%/year. If they fail, it isn't going to be that much of a difference between when a transmission goes on an ordinary car. Most people don't pay to get it fixed and just junk it or try to sell it for parts.

Anyways, by the time the Model 3 hits optimal used car pricing (4-5 years) the Model S will be 9-10 years old and we can more properly judge the long term viability of the vehicle and battery.
>>
File: 1991-Honda-Civic-Si.jpg (152KB, 565x376px) Image search: [Google]
1991-Honda-Civic-Si.jpg
152KB, 565x376px
>>61625278
Except even an engine or transmission going out on most cars won't cost 5 figures to replace AFTER labor lol. Most ICE cars today will easily last 300k miles before a rebuild is necessary (which is comparatively very cheap).

Also, it depends on the car. Your average corolla? Yeah junk it - a used one is $2k. A nicer WRX STI, ls400, or em1 civic? You will probably intend to keep it alive and it's financially feasible to do so.

I get the feeling people will be very disappointed to know their 10-15y/o p90d's are garbage because replacing the battery costs more than replacing the entire drive train in an ICE car.

I am interested in what happens as well: you almost never hear journalists talk about the actual implications of it.
>>
>>61625488
Yes but the point I was making was that the cost of rebuilding/replacing a transmission or an EV battery will more often than not be more expensive than the car How much more expensive is irrelevant since most people don't care that much about a vehicle to prolong it past the point where it is financially responsible to. So your case makes sense if you're a car enthusiast, but most people aren't.
>>
I've been a gearhead my whole life, I've raced motorsports on two and four wheels etc. Had pretty fast cars, a really fast motorcycle..

I'm probably going to get the 3 when they hit the used car market. I'll never buy a new car out of a principle as its nearly the worst investment one can do.

Out here gas costs $6.5 per gallon. Government taxes my car over $1000 per annum as it has 250bhp and produces some co2 providing that. My insurance is another $1000 per annum. I pay some $2000 per annum for repairs.

I drive 40k miles a year, but usually not over 200 miles one way. I think model 3 would be mighty fine for my use and 0.5 seconds faster than my current on 0-60.
>>
>>61617434
Daily reminder they charged $9k for a software lock
>>
>>61622819
Because they spend it all on infrastructure and factories. Just like how Amazon reinvests their money back into their own supply chain.
>>
>>61617434
As of right now, they dont sell cars, they sell hopes and dreams, come back when they can keep up with demand, and make a profit on every single car, then maybe I'll even remotely consider their existence.
>>
>>61626122
>Just like how Amazon reinvests their money back into their own supply chain.

omg you drank the koolaid
>>
>>61625742
So you don't mind paying 10k for a new battery pack the used 3 will need?
>>
>>61618370
Does it at least have a HUD?
>>
>>61626496
Probably not as 1) battery pack's energy volume is likely increased when its due for replacement 2) battery pack is likely going to be cheaper then 3) electricity is cheap

I guess the $10k is still cheaper than running on fuel all this time and service the ICE every 15k miles
>>
>>61626613
>Electricity is free
>>
>>61626496
A used model 3 will not necessarily need a new battery just like a used ICE will not necessarily need a new transmission.
>>
>>61626637
Not him but what's the cost of electricity in the US?
Currently living in France and since it's 80% nuclear, it's really cheap
>>
>>61626637
>>61626681
It's pretty cheap in the US, a 60kwh battery will be less than $7 to fill at the average rate of $0.11/kwh
>>
>>61626681
Do you realize the cost of a charging station is well over 10k for a single unit? Not accounting for permits and installation. THEN they get vandalized often as I see in my town, they need to be repaired constantly.

Forget the price of electricity, you're looking at $4 or $5 per usage, right now if they were to be paid.
>>
>>61626714
"Not him"
>>
>>61626697
Are there free charging points in the US?
In europe (uk, fr and be at least) you can charge you car for free in a lot of big cities
>>
>>61626767
That will eventually end though. The new model of charging points will not be gas stations, it will be places like malls and grocery stores and restaurants, where every single spot is a charging station. the problem with that is, they have yet to realize it and make the investment, and in Europe where density is different than in the US, it is a much bigger problem. Where the fuck are you going to put charging stations in cities that don't even have parking lots for most businesses, where parking is already a major issue as it is. There are lots of people who would own an electric car but as of right now they literally can't charge it.
>>
If you're spending stupid money on an electric car, you might as well just get a fisker karma, which looks less dumb and isn't the equivalent of soylent on wheels.
>>
>>61626729
Yeah he's not me, I'm no French
>>
>>61626803
It is a horrible investment for Tesla to invest in charging stations in towns like the one you described. The market is so small that they would never get their money's worth out of it. They have it right by building in populous areas first and foremost.
>>
>>61626803
> There are lots of people who would own an electric car but as of right now they literally can't charge it.

Now there's an idiot if I ever met one. Of course I would have a place to charge my fucking car if I'd buy an electric vehicle.
>>
>>61626853
Who the fuck said anything about tesla investing in charging stations?

There are other EV companies out there, and they actually sell cars at a profit. Not everything is about fucking tesla.
>>
>>61618370
>12 min of Elon talking
>shows literally 30 seconds of the important shit like the 2 fucking model and range
>doesn't explain interface on a car that is being sold as we speak
>doesn't explain features
>no word on autopilot
>no word on amp or super charging capabilities
Fucking hire the guy who does the Apple circlejerk or me because i could have put this shitty event together better than these retards.
>>
>>61626887
>fisker karma
It is not profitable for any EV company. Joey Redneck living on West Virginian dirt roads doesn't need a charging station at the local plaza. There is a reason why those towns are still lacking basic infrastructure; It's because no one fucking lives there, so why would anyone invest there?
>>
>>61626922
what the fuck are you talking about dude?

Charging stations aren't free and car companies are obviously not going to invest in them being built, its amazing as it is they got together to agree on a charger plug. You also can't expect gas stations to build them because it does not fit with their business model, McDonalds literally has a better distribution on the map compared to any other business type out there, if every single parking spot at mcdonalds was a charging point, we'd solve the infrastructure problem EVs have even at such a low volume of cars on the road.
>>
>>61626697
>>61626681

Ayo hol up.
I was curious about the fuel costs so here they be.

Average cost of electricity in the US is $0.12 per kWh.

Charging efficient is rated up to 98%, but many reports are around 80-94%. Some as low as 54%. Let's call it 92%.

Model 3 60 kWh has a 220 mile range.

So 60*0.12/(220*0.92) gets you about $0.04 a mile.

Compared to average US fuel economy of 24 Mpg at average price of $2.00/gal, which is about $0.08 a mile.

A new Honda civic ext gets about 34 mpg: about $0.06 a mile. A new prius gets 52 mpg. About $0.04 a mile.

From what I see, Teslas are comparable to hybrids in terms of fueling costs. Im guessing this diverges the older they get as they drop to 91% efficiency after 144,000 miles. Still not too bad, but will be interesting as ICE don't really lose their fuel economy over time even over 200,000 miles.

Take it for what you will. I think they will be more prevalent in places where gas is expensive (yurop), while hybrids will take over the majority of everything else.
>>
>>61626458
You're a special kind of dumb aren't you?
>>
File: dumbandumber.png (62KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
dumbandumber.png
62KB, 1200x900px
>>61627383
>>
>>61627476
Again, are you dumb?
>>
>>61627383
>>61628072
>>>/b/
>>
>>61627476
>market cap higher than the other two.

You see, this is what matters.
>>
>>61628365
>this time is different goy dont worry
>just keep giving us cash
>trust the markets
>>
> 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds

Whats the point of buying it ?

The people who bought the Model S would have otherwise bough some BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes.

This Tesla is just for poor people that want to join the exclusive Tesla club, but not get the Tesla performance.

You could just buy a 2017 FUSION HYBRID S for almost 10K less money.
Yeah sure it burns gas still, but you would have to own the Tesla for nearly a decade to come out ahead of the Fusion in terms of costs.

Tesla is notorious when it comes to waiting for parts/getting their cars fixed too.
>>
>>61628187
Nice retort. Should have backed it up with another meaningless chart.
>>
>>61627382
France, UK, and a couple others are banning ICE powered commuter vehicles by 2040.

So Europe will definitely be a major buyer of Tesla if they can get their product there asap.
>>
>>61627382
A Honda CTX700T can get 64MPG, but that's a bike.
>>
>>61629066
still a long ways away
And its a ban on new car sales, if you bought a ICE car in 2039 you will be able to drive it just fine.
>>
>>61626496
if you had read their post you would realise 10k every 8 years for a battery is still less than 3k every year for taxes and repairs
>>
>>61628365
>the bubble is bigger
>this means it wont burst
Oh you
>>
>>61629272
I don't read scam artist nigger math
>>
>>61623417
Lots of people are fucking retarded.
>>
>>61629066
>France, UK, and a couple others are banning ICE powered commuter vehicles by 2040.

LOL, yeah.. sure they are.. good luck with that.
>>
>>61619410
im in the same boat. I was pretty skeptical before due to battery and then read the reports. I like how tesla also is trying to work with consumers in allowing them to fix their own cars. Although that should be standard its nice to see a company in 2017 actively want to help consumers in that respect.
>>
>>61629441
There already exists businesses that will service Prius batteries.
Either give you a refurbished whole battery OR replaced the damaged cell
>>
>>61628365
Ethereum used to have a $40B market cap
>>
>>61626922
Tesla builds them at regular intervals along major roadways in the US. Sometimes they do end up in the middle of nowhere, because on either side is a hundred miles of desert and a customer getting stuck out there because there's fifteen gas stations and no charger along a huge transit artery would be terrible PR.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.