[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on manjaro /g/ I've been steadily getting tired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 5167332.png (906B, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
5167332.png
906B, 256x256px
Redpill me on manjaro /g/

I've been steadily getting tired of Ubuntu over the years and I've really been wanting to switch over to something else. I'm tired of waiting for Ubuntu's lazy devs to push app updates and using old libraries which most of the time still aren't stable.

>inb4 botnet
Yes, I'm one of those I have nothing to hide fags and it's not like Ubuntu isn't a botnet anyway

>inb4 install Arch
I've installed Arch before and while it's fun to tinker with I don't really see it suitable for everyday use

I like having the ability to access the Arch repository for a few select things that I don't care if they break but not for the essentials.

Any other distro recommendations or personal accounts with Manjaro?
>>
>>61560873
>redpill
stopped reading there
>>
i'm a huge user of Debian, so Manjaro was my first
Arch based distro. i used the i3 community.

I like it only because it's come with i3-gaps already set.
>>
>>61560873
>nothing hide fags
stopped reading right there
>>
Explain why not arch.
>>
File: 1489001690008.jpg (148KB, 987x700px) Image search: [Google]
1489001690008.jpg
148KB, 987x700px
>>61560900
>>61560914

Samefag, you're power level is low.
>>
>>61560873

If you insist on rolling-release:
Gentoo > Tumbleweed > Solus > Arch >= Antergos >>> Manjaro

Otherwise, just install Fedora. It's a solid distro with semi-fresh packages.

Manjaro is literally ran by some incapable hobbyists (even moreso than Mint) bundling a bunch of shit together, rebranding it and marketing it as "easier Arch". If you just install Arch you'll run into less trouble than you will running Manjaro. If you're a >>>/v/ermin who doesn't care about anything, Manjaro is the perfect OS for you (if you insist on Linux, Win10 is actually better for you).
>>
>>61560873
I've used both Manjaro and Antergos.

My only major issue is that sometimes updates cause errors (on both systems).
And rather than spending a day fixing it I just re-installed - which is why I tried both.

Between the two they are very similar but I slightly prefer Manjaro because it uses GRUB so you have a fallback when shit goes wrong again.
>>
>>61560919
I really do appreciate Arch for their transparency and more so, how they push new software. I would use it if I had the time to toy around with it and learn it to the fullest however I don't have that time. I have school and work and that eats up a huge amount of time. I don't mind fixing broken things here and there but with my schedule, I honestly wouldn't be able to put in the time it deserves. I like the fact that Manjaro allows you to dive into the Arch world without the commitment that true Arch requires.
>>
File: retard.png (246KB, 1366x752px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
246KB, 1366x752px
>>61560943
>>
>>61560912
Is that the only reason you liked Manjaro or was there other pros?
>>
>>61561049
Then don't use Manjaro, use. Antegros.
>>
File: 1479142629314.jpg (62KB, 630x463px) Image search: [Google]
1479142629314.jpg
62KB, 630x463px
>>61561065

>Nothing to hide
>Use chrome based browser
>>
Just use arch installer. Pure arch, ncurses style interactive install, no bloat.
>>
>>61561014
That's exactly what I would do in the same case. Around what version where you using those OS's?
>>
>>61561068

Pretty much the only reason, i3 gaps on Debian is a fucking pain in the ass. I don't really see a reason of using it except from the fact the it's easier to install than Arch.
>>
>>61561097
sh-shut up firefox works like ass on this computer and ironically chromium is faster

I still have to get qutebrowser compiled for freebsd which I'm too lazy
>>
File: 1500236358902.png (543KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
1500236358902.png
543KB, 878x814px
>>61561097
Also I wouldn't be using it if there were some sort of 4chan terminal ui/ncurses type shit since it's the only thing I use plus youtube, but there's already mpsyt for that.
>>
>>61561087
Would you say Antergos is more stable then Manjaro out of the box?
>>
>>61560873
>>61561068
I used both Arch and Manajro as my desktop OS for prolonged periods (a few months) and I can tell you there are ery few differences that ard barely worth switching over to:
1. Manjaro uses it's own repositories and updates them in batches (usually once per 2 weeks). This is unlike Arch (and Antergos) which push updates as soon as a package is ready. The Manjaro packages are presumebly "tested" during this time but from my experience there is no difference in stability.
2. Manjaro repos have some useful software that is not in the Arch repos (but can probably be found im the AUR anyway) like Compiz, pamac (GUI package manager, similar to synaptic), Manjaro settings (GUI for installing different kernels, drivers, changing locale/time... very useful tool IMO)
3. Manjaro has a smaller team, a much worse wiki (arch wiki still relevant obviously), less mirrors for repos (downloads can get really slow sometimes...) and overall feels less "professional"
4. Manjaro obviously comes pre installed with a desktop and applocations (which you might consider bloat). Also has a GUI installer.
>>
>>61561273
antergos installer is broken af
>>
>>61560914
Sorry I'm a newfag. What part of Manjaro is botnet? Should I use arch instead if I am worried about security.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.