[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 46

File: 1482799321910.png (465KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482799321910.png
465KB, 640x480px
Previous thread: >>61393906

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
I have a modem connected to a wi-fi router (netgear). I'm using a wired connection. I used to connect the modem to the router and then a wired connection from the router to my pc. Everything worked.

Now, I can only access the internet by connecting my pc to the modem but the wifi still works if I connect my router to my modem.

Also I can't access the configuration page of the modem.

>have you tried to turn it off and on again
yes
>>
First for:
musl c
busybox
llvm
clan
>>
I'm posting this request hoping for different answers and suggestions. A guy already suggested me to install Minidlna on Xubuntu, but won't this make the computer a server? I need to turn the Xubuntu computers into clients that can view the files that are stored on the server using Windows.

So the question is:
What's the easiest way to share media content (movies, videos, music, e-docs ecc.ecc.) between a server running Windows Server 2008 and multiple computers running Xubuntu? We tried to configure Plex but we encountered several issues.
>>
>>61418845
I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:

Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.

Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.

So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.

Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.

What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.

If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!
>>
What's the best distro for AMD GPU performance?
>>
>>61419013
I run openSUSE,

by the way is that some pasta?
>>
>>61419023
All of them
>>
Using KDE

>Snap window to the right side
>Maximize it
>Restore it
>It doesn't restore it to its original snapped position, but some pixels lower leaving a small gap on top

why
>>
>>61419013
It's not your concern what distro is being used by others. You are nearly as retarded as Stallman is.
>>
File: 1475422205221.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475422205221.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>61419112
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>61419013
Please go away RH shill.
>>
>>61419023
Anything with up to date mesa+kernel
>>
What Linux distro treats gigabytes as 1024 megabytes?
>>
>>61419359
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>61419103
I once tried to make a resizer, press some shortcut, it shows a grid representing your screen, select squares from the grid, your window gets resized to that shape and position.

I gave up because they windows never moved to the exact position I gave them because the window's border and title are not counted in the window size and there's no easy way to get that information.

So probably something related. Xlib sucks.
>>
File: QzRLg61.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
QzRLg61.gif
2MB, 250x250px
fucking windows

>install new wifi card into sister's computer
>boot 'er up
>stuck on a black screen with a spinning circle
>fuck no, that card's new ya cunts
>unplug card
>still nothing
>oh_fuck.gif
>unplug wireless mouse & keyboard adapter
>it boots
>wat
>install card back in
>it boots
>plug in adapter and reboot
>it boots

apparently not an isolated bug
>>
Is there a way to tell loonix to recognize a PS3 controller as a 360 one?

I'm getting tired of almost every game I try thinking that face buttons are a d-pad or some shit.
>>
>>61419691
No
>>
>>61419691
Yes
>>
>>61419691
Maybe
>>
>>61419691
I don't know, try asking somewhere
>>
>>61419691
>loonix
rude
>>
>>61419691
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>61419680
Windows? It uses the usb number for driver configuration. Some guy I know always had to reinstall his printer whenever he plugged the printer into a different usb port.
>>
>>61419691
install gentoo
>>
>>61419772
that might be it, plugged the adapter into another port

but how the fuck does a simple wireless adapter fuck the system over so hard
>>
>>61419708
Never
>>61419711
mind
>>61419716
I
>>61419732
found
>>61419738
out
>>61419764
how
>>61419773
thanks
>>
>>61419818
yer whalecum
>>
>>61419359
"Ubuntu for Niggers" will probably be your best bet.
>>
>>61419818
No problem.
>>
Let me be honest. I don't like Arch, but without its wiki, life wouldn't be the same.
>>
>>61419835
that's racist
>>
Reasons for switching to zsh
>>
>>61419893
You like cocks in your asshole at all times
>>
>>61419893
If you dont like running software created by niggers(bash)
>>
bad thread
>>
Question!

Simple 3d design (sketchup) in linux - what's the best?
Sketcup in wine? OpenCAD? Blender?

I really just need something simple and newbiefriendly.
>>
>>61419858
It's GNAA approved, Linux is no longer just for whitey
>>
>>61418845
How do i get mp3 support in Buntu? I dont wanna install flash and java
>>
Good day, gentoomen,
What's the best resource for learning networking on Linux? I'm currently learning bash and would like to eventually get employed as Linux sysadmin but don't know where to start..
>>
>>61418845
Where can I change the color saturation without using icc profiles on Linux?
>>
So /fglt/ I need to put this fucker to sleep once and for all.

I have a performance issue in general that is not normal. Most applications that make use of my GPU are not behaving correctly. I'm getting stuttering while browsing and playing games of any type, demanding and not demanding. I've been trying to solve this for several days now and I have tried everything.

I'm using openSUSE tumbleweed, but I tried manjaro and kubanto as well and I have the same exact problem.
>>
>>61422698
Logs
>>
Will my RPG Maker H-games like Violated Heroine and 2D eroge like the Rance or Eushully games work on Linux?
What about 3D H-games like those from Illusion and KISS?
What about popular H-modded games like Oblivion or Skyrim?

Is it important to switch to Wayland now?

I use a Logitech G602 because it has many buttons so that I can use programs onehanded. I really like those many buttons and mouse profiles automatically switching when I switch a program. Am I basically fucked because Logitech won't make Linux mouse drivers?
>>
>>61423118
I figured out at least that I don't have such a problem if I'm using XFCE with compositing and vsync enabled.

It's KDE. But I do not know how to fix KDE. I use a 280x.
>>
>>61423301
>weeb shit
Check appdb
>wayland
There is no reason to switch to wayland.
>logitech
>automatically
Not automatically but you can easily create profile with xbindkeys and swap between them when needed
>>
>>61423358
If you want our help,you need to provide us with what we ask,otherwise no one knows how/why can help you.Being this vague makes people ignore your posts
>>
Is Buntu related to the Bantu? Who are the Buntu, where do they come from, where do they go?
>>
>>61423428
True, that was rude of me. I just desperately wanted shit to work so I tried other stuff. I came to the conclusion that the compositor in KDE is responsible for this so at least that's a hint of what might be wrong.

Where might I find logs in relation to that? I know the problem comes with having compositing enabled.
>>
>>61423749
Run said programs in a terminal and pipe stdout to a file as you run it and as it errors or such. Dmesg could help too
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>When your parents ask you what a linux is
>>
openSUSE Tumbleweed or Arch?
>>
>>61424328
Arch
>>
>>61424328
whatever you end up liking more
>>
>>61419835
There is no such distro.
>>
>>61424508
If only the same could be said about niggers DAMN
>>
>>61424328
Former is more stable
>>
>>61424707
Arch ships packages directly from upstream.When upstream decides the package is ready for a release,they release it.Claiming it is "more stable" is moot.Its the same packages
>>
File: lxc.png (13KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
lxc.png
13KB, 650x350px
Redpill me on LXC and why has Red Hat deprecated it?
>>
I know Fedora ships with gnome3, but how bad is its kde support and implementation?
>>
How do I install various DE's on the same distro without breaking everything?
>>
>>61425063
By just installing them. Which distribution are you using? How do you start your x environment?
>>
>>61425092
Debian stable, lightDM
>>
>>61423301
Most eroge run fine, Eushully could be tricky though.
>>
>>61425118
There is probably a way to chose the DE with LightDM. Just look at the documentation.
>>
>>61424798

>implementation
Why do you idiots think that's a thing? They all use the same KDE Plasma as released upstream. They all have the same features.
Just another idiot falling for the myth and meme spreaders on here.
>>
>>61425063
I managed to install KDE, Xfce and Gnome 3 on openSUSE without much trouble.

It has helped me check what's wrong with my setup. Definitely I see Gnome is performing flawlessly, while KDE gives me jerky scrolling on some applications. Maybe it's because of wayland.
>>
Yo,

I want to do two things on Gnome: Have some sort of global menu and have some window tiling that supports resizing with the mouse.

Do those things exist?
>>
Someone should edit:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Debian

Because Devuan actually got a stable release:
https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517
>>
>>61426608
>devuan
is replacing systemD reason to fork damn whole OS?
>>
File: tScreenshot_20170716_153015.png (428KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
tScreenshot_20170716_153015.png
428KB, 1680x1050px
pic rel. anyone use clipper actions?
>>
>>61426637
The Devuan devs are bunch of autistic faggots, just read their statements
>>
>>61420953
Is this still a problem in current year? mp3 is no longer patent encumbered.
>>
How long til KDE supports wayland?
>>
>>61424791
Yet another containerization standard that app arose as a response to docker hype. If I had to guess they are deprecating it because systemd is driving changes to the kernel's relevant ABIs and no-one can be bothered maintaining it.
>>
>>61426567
I think you can still use other window managers with gnome, so look for one that gives you what you want and look into how to replace the wm in gnome. I don't know what a global menu is.
>>
>>61427677
Basically the ability to put the application dropdown menus on a panel instead of the application window, similar to Unity and (optionally) KDE. Or macOS.
>>
>>61426637
These days it pretty much is, they have done more than just changing what packages are installed by default though. Because a bunch of core packages have to be adapted to working with eudev and so on.
>>
Is there anyway to use the Deepin DE with openrc rather than systemd?

>inb4 chink botnet
I use xiaomi phones, i'm sure i'm already in some Chinese phone log.
>>
I burned a debian netinst image to usb with YUMI and when booting it, /install.amd/vmlinuz not found printed.
The image is good, what is the problem?
>>
>>61427649
LXC is still maintained, but Red Hat stopped supporting it
Docker serves a different purpose. it is not comparable to LXC, apart from using the same kernel features

LXC is more like OpenVZ
>>
>>61419013
>’
>>
>>61419033
>>61419112
>>61419277
>>61428522
That's copypasta, faggots.
>>
>>61428854
https://www.reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/4a8fs4/i_hate_death_grips/
>>
>>61428386
>burned to usb
?
>>
File: 1500337793900-540423081.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1500337793900-540423081.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I am complete newfag who doesnt belong on your board. Only here out of desperation. I updated ubuntu, it booted up fine but once I log in I get pic related.

I tried to put my old ubuntu cd in but it jusr doesnt read it. I have fedora on a thumb drive and it doesnt read that either. Just boots normally.

Computer is a decade old piece of junk.

...help?
>>
>>61429416
>I have fedora on a thumb drive and it doesnt read that either. Just boots normally.
Change the boot order so it checks for usb.
>>
>>61429531
in ur bios*
>>
Does anyone hve like a guide on how i can increase the size of my root partition? I have heaps of GB in my home directory and i want to move that into my root directory without corrupting anything.
The partition type is Linux Filesystem
>>
>>61429791
I dunno about resizing and shit but if you want everything in your home partition you could just copy everthing on your root partition into your home one, edit fstab to mount what was /home as root, reboot.
>>
>>61429791
arch wiki covers this
>>
Why would XFCE recognises two monitors even though I have only one? And the bad part is that my screen is the second one, so I can't see anything on the "first" screen.
>>
so using devuan i found myself opening a pdf just to see that there are missing blocks of text not being rendered, searched on google and found on the poopler bug list that i needed to install poopler-data, which was already installed (saying it was manually installed) i reinstalled it and nothing changes, xpdf, okular, evince, mupdf all of them fail to render the text, chromium built in pdf reader show the file correctly so i'm sure it's not the file being empty or something similar.
Have i fallen for a bad taste meme ?
>>
File: OpenSUSE-logo.png (69KB, 1280x810px) Image search: [Google]
OpenSUSE-logo.png
69KB, 1280x810px
I've been thinking of switching to OpenSUSE from KDE Neon. Is Leap or Tumbleweed more highly recommended? Also, is there an easy way to keep my encfs home dir or will I have to back op my shit and copy it back?
>>
>>61418845
Hey /fglt/, burger here. Since we're loosing net neutrality here in the states, over the net few years tiny ISPs will be pushed out and bigger ones will gain monopolies. At first they'll just throttle access to servers of their competitors or their partners competitors. After that, they'll throttle and then charge extra to access it. Eventually, they'll just ban it.
First lemmie say, bye 4chan, it was interesting knowing you all.
Second, you all must realizse that Microsoft will be a parter to ALL the ISPs, right?
...So how the fuck will I download any GNU/Linux ISOs? For the next two weeks I'm planning to download and hoard ISOs from all the big or useful distros, Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Arch, Debian, Suse, Qubes, Tails, Heads, Kali, Slitaz, DSL, Puppy, Devuan, Knoppix, Elementary, Byzantium, Tinycore, etc etc. I figure after MS has has their partner ISPs cut access to the websites of these distros people could ask me to mail ISOs to them on CDs.

But those will all be old eventually! How the fuck will we get updates?! What the fuck will we do? Fucking ask Eurofags to mail us updates? We're going up end up like Cubas internet. Don't say torrents because torrents will be banned outright because piracy is a direct competitor to the TV streaming services that ISPs offer.
>>
>>61429909
Could be just using a font that you don't have installed.
>>
>>61430243
mmmm, sounds pretty unlikely to be honest. For microsoft to get ISPs to block linux distro distribution sites. What about torrents and ftp such? Distros are already mirrored and hundreds of random servers acting as CDNs.
The threat of fast-laning and whatnot is more about services with a gateway that are easy to target, if anything it will affect the silo-like sites more.
>>
>>61430243
you're better off hoarding source code and binaries, not redundant linux kernels and packages.

The internet isn't built in a way that enables blocking of arbitrary communication in this manner. If it gets to this point, you've found yourself in a crisis more pressing than a censored internet.
>>
Is there a way to copy the EXACT mouse settings from a Windows OS to a distro?

I am having a great deal of problems with kubuntu but the worst one is the mouse settings
>>
File: Upotte-get-in-formation.jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Upotte-get-in-formation.jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>61431231
here's your minute of googling result, sir.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=748412
will that be all?
>>
fuck it, im done with linux. I was smart enough to install Arch in under 15 minutes, i installed void, and installed a handful of other distros and attempted to rice all of em. BUT THE FUCKING DISTROS DONT LET ME USE SEARCH ENGINES except for fucking yahoo search, not even google, or duckduckgo. just yahoo fucking search. im done with this piece of shit of an OS
>>
>>61431350
lmao
>>
>>61431350
>I was smart
>DISTROS DONT LET ME USE SEARCH ENGINES
roflcopter. Sure sounds like you are being oppressed.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jfif.jpg (36KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jfif.jpg
36KB, 900x900px
>>61431416
>>61431366
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1440246538429.png (304KB, 722x768px) Image search: [Google]
1440246538429.png
304KB, 722x768px
What happens if I mount /tmp on /tmpfs, and create and swapon a swapfile on /tmp?
>>
>>61429940
Tumbleweed
Leap is supposed to be the ""more stable"" version but Tumbleweed is just as stable and I'd rather have rolling release
>>
>>61431928
Oh, you mean mount a tmpfs on /tmp. Well if you ever use swap then bad stuff will happen I guess. I just tested and df reports the size of a tmpfs as your ram size so that sounds like it might be overcommiting a little bit. Hopefully at the point where something tried to sway the OOM killer would kick in but more likely it would lock you system up.
>>
>>61432052
tumbleweed is shit doesn't even support nvidia drivers
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 458x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 458x345px
>>61432095
>Nvidia
>GNU/Linux
pick one
>>
>>61432140
um nvidia has the best linux support
>>
>>61432095
since when are drivers distro specific?
>>
Has ALSA been replaced with something in the new debian version? Haven't had to install a new system in a while so I'm a bit confused as to why I'm not able to install all that stuff.
>>
>>61425351
>They all use the same KDE Plasma as released upstream.

No they don't, distributions that aren't source based make distro specific changes to software.
>>
Learned today that Arch doesnt put /usr/local/lib in the ld path by default.
Thats pretty fucking lame.
>>
>>61432764
Why would they?
>>
>>61432771
Because thats where shared libraries get installed to whenever you build something yourself.
>>
>>61432802
When you build stuff yourself you can put them wherever you want
>>
>>61432558
I wish more people knew this, it seems to be especially true with KDE and Debian, a lot of the KDE 4.x bugs were Debian related.

But saying that KDE on Stretch is quite fantastic.
>>
>>61433014
>Debian intentionally implements bugs into KDE
ok
>>
>>61433138
Of course they don't intentionally implement bugs into anything. Debian maintainers often alter software packages themselves, occasionally this leads to bugs.
>>
>>61433207
name 2
>>
>>61433223
You don't know of the Debian OpenSSL bug?

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/random_number_b.html
>>
Is there a way to have shadows under windows without all the downsides of having the compositor?
>>
>>61433223
It's well known that Debian alter their packages themselves, most of the time they do an good job too, I'm not attacking Debian. I just prefer my patches to come from the actual developers of the software and not a third party.
>>
File: 1497392034338.png (29KB, 571x618px) Image search: [Google]
1497392034338.png
29KB, 571x618px
>>61433277
>all the downsides of having the compositor
>>
>>61432558

What does being "source based" have to do with this, you idiot? Even your Gentoo sometimes applies patches to software.
Not that it matters, because they're still the same and there aren't any major differences. If the version is the same, it's practically the same.

>>61433014

Debian mostly patches things so it supports other architectures.
Show me considerate differences between Debian's KDE Plasma, Arch's and openSUSE's. You can't, because it's the same software from the user's point of view (assuming they run the same version).
>>
i'm reposting from /sqt/
>>61433609
w10 is shit but that functionality is the one i need the most, and vm is just terrible
>>
>>61432817
This.
>>
the bottom script is supposed to run everytime i run systemctl suspend, but it doesn't (I already set the bits.) any ideas?
>>
>>61433552
Let's use Apache as an example, Apache on Debian is far different from Apache on Fedora, the Fedora version of Apache is the same as upstream intended it to be, but Debian have modified their Apache to hell and back, so much so that the official Apache documentation doesn't apply to the Debian version because it's been so heavily modified.
>>
>>61433958

This are the patches applied to the apache2 package on Debian. Doesn't look heavily modified.

build_suexec-custom.patch
customize_apxs.patch
CVE-2017-3167.diff
CVE-2017-3169.diff
CVE-2017-7659.diff
CVE-2017-7668.diff
CVE-2017-7679.diff
fhs_compliance.patch
fix_logresolve_segfault.patch
mpm_event_restart_segfault_PR60487.patch
no_LD_LIBRARY_PATH.patch
reproducible_builds.diff
series
suexec-custom.patch
suexec-CVE-2007-1742.patch
suexec_is_shared.patch
>>
>>61433672
install gentoo
>>
>>61434043
Try and set up Apache on Debian by. following the official Apache documentation.
>>
>>61433958
>security patches are bad
>i want upstream bugs
>>
>>61434115
WSL without w10? will do if can
>>
>>61433672
Stupid questions belong to /sqt/.
>>
>>61434143
yes
>>
>>61433672
You could install Ubuntu and Win10 in a VM where you install the Ubuntu app.
>>
>>61434158
ubuntu in vm is really terribly laggy, tried virtualbox and hyper-v.
>>
>>61434198
Thats why you should install Ubuntu and Win10 in a VM where you install the Ubuntu app, which is the WSL not a VM.
>>
File: 1479014758142.jpg (64KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479014758142.jpg
64KB, 900x900px
>>61434216
>>61434198
>>61434158
what
>>
>>61434216
i need to keep my windows as it is, not another re-installation btw.
>>
>>61434248
But Windows is malware anon. You should remove it asap.
>>
>>61434257
i don't mind using malware because i need refreshing.
>>
>>61419013
Nice pasta, famalamadingdong! :D
>>
Thinkng about buying a new Linux laptop, where should I look?
>>
>>61434415
http://linux.com
>>
If I want to customize my linux to be as efficient and minimal as possible, should I be looking at gentoo or linux from scratch? Or something else?
>>
my laptop CPU fan is almost always running. i am using Xubuntu 17. i read online abut modifying a file in grub boot loader. i am not dual booting. i only use linux. i do not want to kill my battery life.

what apps do i need to install.
>>
>>61434512
https://kernelnewbies.org/
>>
>>61434542
>>61434512
>>61434415
Linux is just a kernel (a part of systems like GNU or Android).
>>
I think I fucked up guys.

I just installed Fedora 26 on my 6-7 year old laptop, and now I can't get past boot. It starts, boots, lets me choose which kernel version to use, and then just sits there with an empty prompt, a blinking underscore at the top left of the screen.

I heard the most common cause of this kind of thing was "updating the kernel but not the driver's kernel module". Does this sound like my problem here? They also said a short term work around would be to use an older kernel version, but since I only just installed Fedora I only have one to choose from.
>>
I'm running Manjaro (inb4 >memejaro) and whenever I try to shut down the PC thru XFCE I have to do it twice, the first time I choose power off it just does nothing. Where can I look for logs to see what's happening?
>>
File: just FIVE days.png (367KB, 631x585px) Image search: [Google]
just FIVE days.png
367KB, 631x585px
Can't stop distrohopping on my laptop. help
>>
>>61435517
https://youtu.be/3zpgQpdy_fI

You're not benefitting from any of it.
>>
>>61435522
i know mate, i know.
>>
>>61435533
Just use debian/devuan and convince yourself that having 3 year old packages is good for you.
This is what I did and it's been working for be since the release of debian 8.
>>
>>61435582
Whats the point of spreading the outdated packages meme? Strech + Sid are good for daily use, and if you insist, stable has backports.
>>
>>61435582
You're right. Debian was what I was on when I started fannying about. Might as well go back.
>>
>>61435517
When you are at the point where you want a distro with nice defaults and philosophy you don't need to babysit, you'll come back to Debian.
>>
Sup, I'm searching for a Linux girlfriend.
where2find
>>
>>61435689
I have a repository with compiled blonde-gf, redhead-gf, brunette-gf binary packages.

honey's not for the ass's mouth though :^)
>>
File: 1496921892309.jpg (8KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1496921892309.jpg
8KB, 320x320px
How do i installl Arch on my Android phone ?
>>
>>61418894
Reset the router to factory settings.
>>
>>61432174
Only if you violate the GPL by distributing the NVIDIA binary driver (a derivative work of the Linux kernel) under terms other than the kernel's license.
>>
File: sexy feetman.jpg (100KB, 543x779px) Image search: [Google]
sexy feetman.jpg
100KB, 543x779px
>>61435689
How about a GNU girlfriend?
>>
Anyone knows how to find the current cursor position (linenum + columnnum in the terminal)?

The manpage of tput didn't help (or I'm too stupid).
>>
File: 1499396268802.jpg (160KB, 581x764px) Image search: [Google]
1499396268802.jpg
160KB, 581x764px
>>61435992
The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.
>>
File: bryan.png (176KB, 270x321px) Image search: [Google]
bryan.png
176KB, 270x321px
What resource would you recommend for learning server setups? I have CentOS installed and would like to learn how to host a printer, file, email and web servers.
>>
I have a stupid question: I've always thought that the more time you don't update your system, specially on a rolling release distro, the higher the chance of breaking. Is thast true? Will my arch install break if I don't use my computer in 2 months? Should I switch to plebian?
>>
>>61418845
Hi guys,

I think everyone new to this board would benefit from this if you go to /gif/ for your daily fappage.

I have written a bash script that (with a little modification) moves to ~/4chan, creates a subdir based on the name of the thread and then dumps everything in webm and gif format into it.

MODIFICATION NEEDED: Right now I have realized I may have put a ~ instead of the whole /home/USERNAME string, but whatever. Paste in your username or use ~ if you want.

Secondly, you can download any format you please by adding its suffix to the wget command at the end, i.e. jpg, jpeg, png. Your call.

https://pastebin.com/HCi0hNrG

I know it's heavy-handed, but I'm just starting to get into bash scripting, before that I used Python a lot, but this is something that may be of use to some of you. Enjoy, expand, r8, h8 & masturb8
>>
>>61436327
>Will my arch install break if I don't use my computer in 2 months?
If people in charge niggered something up yes. Arch doesn't have a good reputation for being a stable distribution and it's developers never claimed it to be (despite everything your average archnigger will tell you in reply to this post).

If that's a concern then absolutely debian stable is a good alternative. If you're thinking about testing/sid just stay with arch. Debian outside of the stable branch doesn't offer any advantages.
>>
>>61436382
use $HOME instead of ~
>>
>>61436382
Nice script. Just some hints:
- Avoid uppercase variables, these are usually used by env.
- Always quote your variables so they don't break on spaces and for security reasons.
-
>#!/bin/bash
Since your script doesn't use any bash-specific features, use #!/bin/sh, for more speed and better portability.
-
>cd /home/[USERNAME]/4chan/
try
cd "${HOME}/4chan/"

-
>| sed 's/\ /_/g' | sed 's/\///g' |
You can combine multiple sed commands with a ';', for example:
| sed 's/\ /_/g;s/\///g' |

>| sed 's/\ /_/g' | sed 's/\///g' |
To avoid cripple escaping, you can change the delimiter, for example:
sed 's#/##g'
>>
>>61436273
>What resource would you recommend for learning server setups?
First, set up a server. Then read the docs.
>>
Why is this thread so dead, where are all the good posters.
>>
Fun things to do when bored: Follow the Arch wiki and laugh about the daily breakage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6o0ciq/glibc_update_bricks_system/
>>
>>61437073
s/wiki/reddit/
>>
>>61418845
>>61419373
>>61430243
>>61432140
It isn't "GNU/Linux". GNU only consists of some basic programs every beginner programmer could write, except for gcc. Stallman did a good job writing gcc, but that doesn't mean it has to be included in the name of the operating system. You don't call a car Factory/Car, do you?
>>
File: bluetooth-2017-07-18_21.31.46.webm (3MB, 1002x638px) Image search: [Google]
bluetooth-2017-07-18_21.31.46.webm
3MB, 1002x638px
>>61418845
Can anyone help me please?
Webm is related to post
>>
>>61437339

>init.d/ status
Why are you running that?
>>
>>61437410
So that I(you) can know that my bluetooth service is up and running fine?
>>
>>61437438

No, why aren't you using systemctl status?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170718_214507.png (37KB, 851x508px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170718_214507.png
37KB, 851x508px
>>61437453
>>
I've added a HDD that I want to use with windows and arch, I can read from it but I can't write to it. I've added it to my fstab, how do I make it writeable?
>>
>>61419013
>4 serious responses to copypasta

this website has gone down the shitter
>>
>>61437319
GNU is actually a operating system. Linux is a kernel combined with it, since Linus released it under the GPL so it fits into the GNU system.

"GNU/Linux" doesn't mean "Linux with GNU tools", it means "The GNU operating system combined with Linux, the kernel".
>>
>>61432095
>drivers are distro specific
install lfs idiot
>>
File: 1500294676536.jpg (70KB, 800x503px) Image search: [Google]
1500294676536.jpg
70KB, 800x503px
>>61437339
>>61437478
Nevermind this is a bluez bug
It's still unfixed on debian
My best bet is waiting for an update
I should've stay on sid instead of jumping on buster bandwagon
>>
>>61437568
Since when are little programs like ls and rm an operating system?
>>
>>61437694
All your questions should be answered here: https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
>>
File: 1499681848698.jpg (159KB, 956x813px) Image search: [Google]
1499681848698.jpg
159KB, 956x813px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
I am using ARCH and I recently struggled with switching to linux-hardened. The fault lied with nvidia's DKMS driver 340xx. It was unable to work with the 4.12 kernel. I found all the faults and corrected the code. It's merely a few lines in a shell script and an additional include in a c-header file. How can I propagate this so others may benefit from these corrections? I have no idea how to make a patch, but I don't want others to suffer from a silly oversight like this.
>>
>>61437982
Hey cool, I'm using Arch aswell.
>>
>>61437993
I am using gentoo too, but I wanted to point out that this is meant to correct code that is used in arch repositories.
>>
Just installed arch Linux on my MacBook air late 2013, but it shows missing filesystem. I've been running Linux on it for about a year now but this is the first time this has happened.
>>
I used Gnu/Arch [Linux] as my main OS for years. Every day, I'd have some sort of project I'd think up or be working on.
Then I started dualbooting win7 for games and non-GNU/Linux applications so I could get native support with them and make it a whole lot smoother than WINE.

Problem is, I barely use GNU/Arch [Linux] anymore! It's easy to get back on the system, but I've become so complacent with using Windows and being lazy / not working on any projects.
This may be due to actually having a real job now, though.

Tips?
>>
>>61438064
recovery into root if necessary and re-check your fstab
>>
>>61438079
install gentoo
>>
File: stop playing videogames.jpg (4KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
stop playing videogames.jpg
4KB, 208x206px
>>61438079
>Tips?
isnt' it fucking obvious?
>>
>>61438079
spend time making your games run on arch. if possible, without wine. spend time making your other applications work on arch. uninstall windows.
>>
File: 2017-07-18-173753_790x39_scrot.png (7KB, 790x39px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-18-173753_790x39_scrot.png
7KB, 790x39px
>>61437073
keked at the desperate "notice me sempai"
>>
>>61438118
I'd love to be able to get game such as Rainbow Six Siege on the Linux kernel somehow
I'm thinking a VM would help, but... that's the same thing
>>
File: 1494599701031.gif (79KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1494599701031.gif
79KB, 600x450px
>>61438095
Everything seems in order
If it helps, Windows was used for a few days beforehand, but I don't see how that might affect jf
>>
>>61438163
Samefag, gonna try bootNnuke
>>
>>61438079
stop dual booting and go in balls deep like a real man faggot
>>
>>61437974
curl cheat.sh
>>
>>61433277
Please, help.
>>
>>61433277
Theoretically yes, but performance would be abysmal.
What are the downsides of a compositor?
>>
>>61438200
I've already been going balls deep, as you put it - I said, Linux was my distinct kernel for years, and THEN I hopped.on the Windows 7 train.

Now hear me out: Windows surely gives me nuch more hassle, stress, unwanted configuration resets, unspecific errors, vcredist conflicts and all that jargle. It should drive me to head back the Linux kernel path. I've seen the atrocities of the NT kernel and I don't know why I let it be.
But, it's my lack of control. My ideal situation would be to use Windows on my non-working days, use Linux kernel on my working days (in the mood for productivity already).

Maybe this is an /adv/ problem. I'll refrain from making further posts on this topic.
>>
What's the best setup I could have if my intention is to test out AMD graphics performance on linux?

As in, how good it can get. I know that some people more updated versions of mesa and such, different distros and such.
>>
If I have a second GPU installed, I can choose which one to use with some xorg. conf.d wizardry and disregard the other, right? Are there any caveats to this? Like, can I use cards from two different vendors or will Linux shit the bed?
>>
>>61438808
>AMD graphics performance on linux?
Don't bother unless you're either after
a) 100% FOSS
b) Ubuntu 16.04 or Red Hat
The official proprietary "AMDGPU-PRO" drivers don't support anything new.

Mesa drivers are still lagging behind Nvidia's proprietary driver. It's slowly getting better. Mesa recently gained better multithreading support.
OpenCL support is still incomplete in Mesa, too.
>>
>>61438893
Well, the thing is I think I can-t use AMDGPU PRO drivers, as I use a GCN 1.0 card. I'm kinda fucked there but I'm trying to do whatever possible to mitigate my performance issues with KWin.
>>
>>61438933
The easy fix is to switch to a proprietary Nvidia card.
Otherwise follow AMDGPU (open source, not Pro) driver development. They gradually included older models in the past. Not sure if GCN 1.0 is already supported.
I love FOSS but recently just caved, sold my RX 380 and got a GeForce 1060. Smooth sailing with the latest kernel and Xorg. Sad but true.
>>
you guys are fucking retarded i tried linux once and it didnt even work you guys are pathetic you
all wanna work with some csi bullshit, trust me ive tried linux and dont say "try another distro"
i tried gentoo no other "distro" will be any different. why would i compile a "kernal" what am i
making fucking popcorn just use windows you stupid fucking wannabes.
oh and don't get me started on "ricing" what are you guys fucking autistic why do you care what
your desktop looks like why does it matter you always have a window over it anyway oh and what is
it with you fucking retards and your "terminal" what why would i wanna use that stupid bullshit
you guys wanna be such leet haxors that you dont see how unefficient the god damn terminal is you
guys just wanna use this broken, shit os when there is windows already available. dont get me
started about firefox that shit is bloatware all you guys wont use it because you all circle-jerk
about how chrome must be botnet because of google but maybe google just wanted to make the user
experience the web better you guys are so fucking stupid just be normal for fucks sake.
oh yeah, and did i forgot you fucking emacs/vim faggots, you guys all use your little depricated
peice of shit editors, gnu made emacs as a joke. you guys wanna use this weird :q shit where q:
doesn't even really quit the program you gotta go q!: to actually fucking close the software. why
dont you guys just use ms-word like a normal fucking human being? oh is it to mainstream for you
faggots i bet it is well guess what, it's mainstream because its better just fuck off back into
your parents basements you fucking fags.
>>
>>61438983
I'll eventually do that. Maybe a 1060.
>>
Hey I'm kind of new to GNU/Linux, what's the difference between a package that has -bin at the end, -git at the end, and neither of those at the end? ie Waterfox in the AUR has waterfox-bin, waterfox-kde (I guess this one is kde plasma integration), waterfox-kde-bin, and waterfox-git. Since I am using KDE I should probably use either waterfox-kde or waterfox-kde-bin, but what does the -bin mean?
>>
>>61438548
Well, in case of Compton it is generally loss of performance, urxvt or xterm that are unusable with xft fonts (lover part of the terminal glitches and is unreadable), non working w3m picture preview for some terminals, flickering in fullscreen.

Since I have no tearing anyway, I don't want to cope with that.

Maybe there is some other good compositor? I know only about unagi, which is long dead and xcompmgr, which Compton is a fork of.
>>
>>61438999
lol
>>
>>61439036
me too
>>
File: 56.jpg (101KB, 627x486px) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
101KB, 627x486px
>linux server working fine for weeks
>have not altered any configuration and has always worked after a reboot
>suddenly it decides it doesn't want to work today after a cold boot and starts throwing up generic errors
>most likely another fucking driver error which means spending hours googling what 'Invalid argument' is supposed to mean
>>
File: t.jpg (21KB, 632x130px) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
21KB, 632x130px
Gonna do my first install on a non-VM environment, what should i expect?

also ignore that dl speed, it's supposed to be """100Mbps"""
>>
Is Fedora really -the- Gnome distro?
>>
File: the_legend_of_zelda_004_zelda.jpg (37KB, 444x312px) Image search: [Google]
the_legend_of_zelda_004_zelda.jpg
37KB, 444x312px
I love the tiling in i3, but I also love having shortcuts on my status bar like in GNOME.

Can I get the functionality of the GNOME status bar and its add-ons under i3?
>>
>>61439830
Fedora is the systemd distro.
>>
>>61439901
any reason why you can't just use GNOME with shellshape to get the tiling you want?
>>
i3 is overrated as fuck, there are so many great tiling wms, but why is everyone running i3?
>>
>>61439945
Not him, but if there's something disappointing about shellshape is not being able to resize tiles with the mouse and have them adjust accordingly.

I mean some anon here a few days ago been putting out there a tiling script for Kwin and it actually does that.
>>
looking for a new distro to switch to.
I have been using Arch for some time, and it's alright, but I think I might want something more stable.
(Some programs run really fucky, and I just don't understand why.)

A newer Kernel would be pretty good.
SystemD-less would be something I may enjoy too, at least if it doesn't break compability too much.
Apart from standard tools, I'd compile most packages by myself.

Devuan sounds good, but I don't know if the old Kernel would support all my hardware, since its old as balls.
Is updating it painless?

Are there any other good distros fitting the bill?
>>
arch is overrated as fuck, there are so many great distros, but why is everyone running arch?
>>
>>61439976
>SystemD
>D
>>
Whats the point of Debian? Why would anyone want to use old, outdated and ancient software?
>>
>>61439976
I would say just go with Manjaro, but while that's been more stable than arch with me, it hasn't been stable for everyone else. With that in mind, maybe try for a Ubuntu flavor, or Gentoo?
>>
>>61440033
There is no point, nobody uses debian. Nobody. Not a single person. No.
>>
>>61439976
openSUSE

You get rolling release too
>>
>>61440051
>>61440033
>>>/ifunny/
>>
>>61439945
I'm used to i3 and it's easy to configure. I also didn't know about Shellshape
>>
>>61438737
Use two different computers. If you can, get a desktop with windows and a laptop with Linux. That way, you offset the time-wasting on windows with the comfortability of working on a portable device with linux.
>>
File: 1483924286340.jpg (2MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
1483924286340.jpg
2MB, 3504x2336px
>>61440103
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1492201096757.jpg (20KB, 370x275px) Image search: [Google]
1492201096757.jpg
20KB, 370x275px
>>61440103
>recommending windows
>>
File: 000224 --- 2017-07-18 20_14_00.png (14KB, 904x130px) Image search: [Google]
000224 --- 2017-07-18 20_14_00.png
14KB, 904x130px
>>61439973
>shellshape is not being able to resize tiles with the mouse and have them adjust accordingly.
http://gfxmonk.net/shellshape/
says otherwise.
>>
>>61440048
Used Manjaro before Arch.
It was a real pain in the ass.

>>61440058
seems alright, but I know next to nothing about it.
>>
where can I dl linux apps?
>>
>>61440140
As you can read there "as you normally would in gnome".

What this means is, sure, you can resize windows. But any other windows are unaffected by it. That's my main issue.
>>
>>61440124
It isn't "GNU/Linux". GNU only consists of some basic programs every beginner programmer could write, except for gcc. Stallman did a good job writing gcc, but that doesn't mean it has to be included in the name of the operating system. You don't call a car Factory/Car, do you?
>>
>>61440167
GNU is actually a operating system. Linux is a kernel combined with it, since Linus released it under the GPL so it fits into the GNU system.

"GNU/Linux" doesn't mean "Linux with GNU tools", it means "The GNU operating system combined with Linux, the kernel".
>>
>>61440157

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>61439964
It does exactly what a tiling wm must do. Nothing less, nothing more.
>>
File: 1499266885906.jpg (14KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1499266885906.jpg
14KB, 284x284px
>250G uploaded over 2 days.
How do americans handle living with data caps?
>>
>>61440270
That's actually wrong since i3 uses the concept of trees which for majority of usecases is unnecessarily complex.
I find list-based tiling a lot better (and most importantly easier/faster to master) despite being slightly less flexible.
>>
File: 1472026168516.jpg (221KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1472026168516.jpg
221KB, 1024x682px
>>
How's Kubuntu these days?
>>
>>61440167
>You don't call a car Factory/Car, do you?
WELL, MAYBE WE SHOULD.

>>61440161
If you resize with the mouse and then press [super] + [p], the windows are tiled correctly.
>>
>>61440270
You should try bspwm.
>>
File: 1470083378046.png (119KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1470083378046.png
119KB, 2000x1433px
when
>>
>>61440375
Tiling is a tree, list based are too limited.
>>
>>61440434
I dunno, but

Is pepe a chameleon or a frog
>>
>>61440426
It's shit. I try all of them, the only one that rival i3 is notion, but i3 has better keyboard support.
>>
File: miku_night.jpg (487KB, 908x575px) Image search: [Google]
miku_night.jpg
487KB, 908x575px
What is the most efficient way to use workspaces?

Right now I tend to like
workspace 1: terminal for ssh/compiling
workspace 2: emacs
workspace 3: firefox
>>
>>61439901
Don't know, what gnome shortcuts are, but wouldn't 'rofi' suit your needs?
>>
File: 1397141426650.jpg (1MB, 1024x671px) Image search: [Google]
1397141426650.jpg
1MB, 1024x671px
>>61440409
>>
>>61440505
>i3 has better keyboard support
>keyboard support
lmao, wtf
>>
>>61440657
There are situation in notion where you're trap and havé to use mouse (or speak directly in lua). I went on IRC channel, and they agree on that. By default on i3 you're never trapped.
>>
File: 1452210828825.png (1MB, 1702x2471px) Image search: [Google]
1452210828825.png
1MB, 1702x2471px
>>61440767
>There are situation in notion where you're trap

>you're trap
>>
>>61440426
I agree with you.

Best tiling manager I've used.
>>
File: stop using bloated software.jpg (5KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
stop using bloated software.jpg
5KB, 208x206px
>not using dwm
>>
>>61440767
Provide an example for bspwm.

Everything that happens is done through sxhkd keyboard Dämon.

No need for mouse at all.
>>
>>61441132
I don't give a fuck about bspwm.
>>
>>61441131
"Instead of using already made software, I rewrite it myself."
>>
>>61441150
Muh yoonix.
>>
>>61441145
>I don't give a fuck about bspwm.
>I tried all of them
Lying is bad, M'kay?
>>
>>61441131
But muh gaps!
>>
>>61441194
I tried that shit that can't even work without digging into an obscure configuration file. At best I will set exactly the same behavior and shortcuts than i3, but it will take decades.
Please tell me what bspwm can do, that i3 can't and that is useful and not graphical?
>>
>>61437974
trap 'echo UCK^' SIGINT
>>
>>61441219
>Obscure
>Literally everything is in the man pages

>Digging
It has fully working configs for both bspwm and sxhkd in the examples folder

>What does it have
Native gaps

>Hot graphical
B-tree and proper separation of keyboard daemon and WM.
>>
>>61441341
>>Literally everything is in the man pages
There is no documented default shortcuts in the man pages.
>examples folder
That's what I call digging.

>Native gaps
Stop reading there.

OK, I keep reading.
>>61441341
>proper separation of keyboard daemon and WM
I should have not continue to read. That's the most stupid thing of your post. It's like saying you have a proper separation of parser daemon and compiler in a compiler.
>>
I tried to remove wine-stable by doing "apt-get purge wine-stable" and it literally still left shit behind, even the fucking program in /opt/wine-stable/bin.

I then proceeded to install wine-staging which upon completion couldn't find the wine binary.

Seriously wtf? How can I remove a program on ubuntu?
>>
>>61441460
wine-stable is just an "installer package" for wine.
It does the installation process after you download it.
>>
>>61441456
>>>Literally everything is in the man pages
>There is no documented default shortcuts in the man pages.

Because they are not part of the WM. Shortcuts in bspwm are delegated to the keyboard daemon, as they should be.

Keyboard daemon is not what WM should do.

>>examples folder
>That's what I call digging.
Have you tried GNOME? No need to do anything at all.

>>Native gaps
>Stop reading there.

>OK, I keep reading.
>>proper separation of keyboard daemon and WM
>I should have not continue to read. That's the most stupid thing of your post. It's like saying you have a proper separation of parser daemon and compiler in a compiler.

You are too arrogant. Name me 2 reasons why WM should take on itself the keypress interception. Try at least.

Also, why did you ignore b-tree?
>>
>>61441529
>keyboard daemon, as they should be
And you're serious and not alone. That's dreadful.
>No need to do anything at all.
Yes, and it's called i3.
>Name me 2 reasons why WM should take on itself the keypress interception
One, because we never need another behavior.
Two, it's fucking more simple for everybody.
>b-tree?
A b-tree for something that contains 10 items? Really?
But it's as stupid as a separated keyboard daemon.
>>
I came to the conclusion that my hardware can only work well with Gnome 3

What's a good distro with Gnome 3? I'm thinking of tumbleweed
>>
>>61441527
so what am I supposed to uninstall?
>>
>>61441743
My condolences
>>
>>61441676
>>keyboard daemon, as they should be
>And you're serious and not alone. That's dreadful.
Great argument you have these.
>>No need to do anything at all.
>Yes, and it's called i3.
With it's shitty default bindings and panel?
>>Name me 2 reasons why WM should take on itself the keypress interception
>One, because we never need another behavior.
Who are "we" and what exactly do you mean here?
>Two, it's fucking more simple for everybody.
How is it simpler? It's less configurable and all your shortcuts depend on WM.
>>b-tree?
>A b-tree for something that contains 10 items? Really?
Yes, really. Your argument against that?
>But it's as stupid as a separated keyboard daemon.
I see. Quality reasoning as always.
>>
>>61441761
You already uninstalled it. The rest is just trash files. The important bit is that your package manager won't handle these files anymore so you don't have to worry
>>
>>61441792
but I want it to remove ALL the files
>>
>>61418845
the manpage for "export" just gave me an anyeurism
>The shell shall give the export attribute to the variables corresponding to the specified names, which shall cause them to be in the environment of subsequently executed commands. If the name of a variable is followed by =word, then the value of that variable shall be set to word.
>The export special built-in shall support the Base Definitions volume of POSIX.1‐2008, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines.
>When −p is specified, export shall write to the standard output the names and values of all exported variables, in the following format:
>"export %s=%s\n", <name>, <value>
>if name is set, and:
>"export %s\n", <name>
>if name is unset.
>The shell shall format the output, including the proper use of quoting, so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell as commands that achieve the same exporting results, except:
>1. Read-only variables with values cannot be reset.
>2. Variables that were unset at the time they were output need not be reset to the unset state if a value is assigned to the variable between the time the state was saved and the time at which the saved output is reinput to the shell.
>When no arguments are given, the results are unspecified. If a variable assignment precedes the command name of export but that variable is not also listed as an operand of export, then that variable shall be set in the current shell execution environment after the completion of the export command, but it is unspecified whether that variable is marked for export.
>>
>>61441792
This is plain awful and the package maintainer deserves a beating for this shit.
You don't make packages in a way that can't be completly uninstalled.
>>
File: 1499274482935.jpg (57KB, 678x403px) Image search: [Google]
1499274482935.jpg
57KB, 678x403px
>>61441849
Why do you insist on making uneducated opinions if you're clueless about the topic?

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/wine/filelist
These are the filed installed by the wine package that the package maintainer has control of and are removed by apt/apt-get. The rest is handled by a 3rd party installation script by wine not by the maintainer of the package.
>>
>>61441783
>shitty default bindings
Tell me more, what is missing from default i3 bindings.
>Who are "we" and what exactly do you mean here?
Do you know someone that never use keyboard to control its tiling wm?
>How is it simpler?
You run one binary only that come with a default configuration.
>all your shortcuts depend on WM.
No. I giver window management shortcut to my wm, and everything else to xbindkeys.
>Your argument against that?
Useless, like a separated deamon.
>>
>>61441831
What stops you?
Why do they bother you so much anyways?
>>
>>61441924
because it prevents me from using wine-staging. The binary can't be found and I have to manually run it from /opt
>>
>>61441948
add a symlink to one of your $PATH directories then.
>>
>>61441963
lol bullshit im not doing that
>>
>>61441948
Are you retarded?
>>
>>61442035
yes clearly im retarded despite posting on a message board
>>
>>61441999
Why not? It's definitely a better alternative than trying to migrate the respective files by hand and risking breaking.
>>
>>61439022
I have no idea what distro that is, but presumably -bin is compiled package from the distro's repo and git is either source code or a version taken from the git repo (mesa on AUR has a git package that compiles the newest dev code)
>>
>>61441767
Listen, as much as I want KDE I can't have it.
>>
Linux® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
>>
>>61442132
because that's the package manager's job not my job
>>
>>61440624
Turns out much more accurate... thanks anon.
>>
any anime-oriented i686 linux distros I can install on my thinkpad t60?
>>
>>61442570
I'm fairly convinced you're horribly confused right now. What do you want me to explain?
>>
File: install_latux_subbed.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
install_latux_subbed.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>61443002
>>
I just found out about calcurse, anyone here use it? How is your day going by with it?

Also, any tips and configs for a new user?
>>
>>61443002
GNU Linux-libre
>>
What are good programs to make ascii images or ascii gifs?
>>
New thread:
>>61443396
>>61443396
>>61443396
>>
>>61443394
img2txt, jp2a, the other thousands on shithub
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.