[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 47

File: IMG_1468.jpg (15KB, 248x247px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1468.jpg
15KB, 248x247px
Post your simple/small/stupid questions.

Take at least 10 seconds to Google first.
>>
how can I tell if amdgpu is working? I installed the package but Idk if I did it right
>>
How can I track my reading progress when using mupdf? There seems to be no built-in bookmarking and I can't do anything external either since there doesn't seem to be an option to open a file to a particular page. I don't want to have to look for the page I was on every time I reopen the file. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_1003.jpg (40KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1003.jpg
40KB, 500x492px
What would happen if I wired this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing-Buzzer-Beeper-Alarm-24v-Warning-Reverse-Back-For-Iveco-Man-Scania-Daf/271563900827

Into the 12V of my PSU's molex? Would it catch fire, destroy my PSU and kill me, or would it just be quieter than at 24V?
>>
>>61262050
Probably wont kill it but you could get a ebay converter too
why do you want your pc to constantly beep?
>>
File: aida C drive test2.png (28KB, 828x569px) Image search: [Google]
aida C drive test2.png
28KB, 828x569px
>>61261986
from the last thread
I think my boot ssd is going bad
>Programs/Windows with sometimes just freeze and not respond for several seconds
>Yesterday the mobo didnt see it as a boot device and I manged to fix that and have had the issue since
>SMART/Cyrstal Disk says everything is fine
>Aida freezes while running benchmarks
>have swapped cables and sata ports, nothing has helped
Am I right that its the ssd or am I missing something?
also can I just clone this drive when I replace it?
>>
>>61262167
>why do you want your pc to constantly beep?
I have autism.
>>
>>61261986

Does the lifespan of the HDD has anything to do with the size of the disk? for example 1tb vs 2tb or more

I want to buy an external drive to put all my fucking music on it.
>>
asking again, hoping for some help:
so i found an image ripping program (in python...) but bumped into a problem. to be exact, this part:
 # Extract needed info from JSON
image_url = json_dict["image"]
image_file_ext = json_dict["original_format"]
image_height = json_dict["height"]
image_width = json_dict["width"]
# Build image output filenames
if settings.output_long_filenames:
# Grab the filename from the url by throwing away everything before the last forwardslash
image_filename_crop_regex = """.+\/(.+)"""
image_filename_search = re.search(image_filename_crop_regex, image_url, re.IGNORECASE|re.DOTALL)
image_filename = image_filename_search.group(1)
image_output_filename = image_filename+"."+image_file_ext
else:
image_output_filename = submission_id+"."+image_file_ext
image_output_path = os.path.join(output_folder,image_output_filename)
# Load image data
authenticated_image_url = image_url+"?key="+settings.api_key
logging.debug("Loading submission image. Height:"+repr(image_height)+", Width:"+repr(image_width)+", URL: "+repr(authenticated_image_url))
image_data = get(authenticated_image_url)
if not image_data:
return
# Image should always be bigger than this, if it isn't we got a bad file
if len(image_data) < 100:
logging.error("Image data was too small! "+repr(image_data))
continue
# Save image
save_file(image_output_path, image_data, True)

as you can see it creates files with double extensions. but that's fine, nothing that total commander can't take care of. but why the hell does it create a link like "asdf.png.svg" to download but still grabs png instead of svg when the very same url ending in "png.svg" makes my browser grab svg?
>>
>>61262215
solder this in between http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-DC-Boost-Step-up-Adjustable-Converter-Micro-USB-2-24V-to-5v-28v-6v-9v-12v-24v-/262520903830?hash=item3d1f771896:g:j8kAAOSwux5YNYJD

>>61261756
localbitcoins
>>
>>61262237
yes and no. technically the more platters it has, the higher the risk of a failure but in reality it's mostly the manufacturing quality that matters
>>
>>61262185
to be 100% sure that it's SDDs fault, boot from some other drive
>>
>>61261986
I have a front intake fan, a side intake fan, a rear exhaust fan, and a radiator for CPU cooling top mounted. Should the radiator be intake or exhaust?
>>
why doesn't my filter work?
/(pcbg|hpg|spg|ptg|intel|amd|mkg|msi|csg|bst|tpg)/i;boards:g;op:only
>>
>>61262322
Try both see what works for you, you'll probably find in the real world it makes little difference.

I'd personally always run a radiator as an exhaust where possible.
>>
I'm trying to upgrade my Debian kernel manually but it is the first time I do this. How the process go?

As far as I think it goes, I think I should install linux-headers I want then linux-images I want and match the headers and then apt-get dist-upgrade.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Thanks for lending me a hand anons.
>>
File: ecmascript-6-and-beyond-27-638.jpg (18KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
ecmascript-6-and-beyond-27-638.jpg
18KB, 638x479px
Please can someone explain this to me? This shit is confusing as fuck.
>>
>>61261986
why does my android 5.1 encrypted boot take so much longer than my computer's encrypted boot? it's like a second vs a minute difference? don't phones have SSDs too? it should be much faster than my computer's HDD. why isn't it?
>>
>>61262322
Intake, will keep your CPU cooler and positive pressure is good
>>
>>61262185
Test the ssd on another computer to eliminate all the variables, but you need to reinstall windows on the new pc.

You can clone it only if you are booting in the same hardware, booting a cloned windows on a different hardware can lead to bugs and driver incompatibility.
>>
>>61262424
Flash storage =/= SSD. Phone is much slower.
>>
>>61262351
turns out I was browsing the native catalog instead of the 4chanx one
>>
/g/ please help the OP in this thread is a faggot

>>>/ic/3050103
>>
>>61262424
>>61262468
Add that to the fact the crypto calculations are probably much harder on the phone not only because it's less powerful but the PC probably has dedicated hardware for doing it.
>>
"i" key on my laptop sometimes doesn't get pressed and sometimes it types twice.
I haven't spilled anything on it or anything like that, it just stopped functioning properly.
I was about to pop it with pen but I feel afraid it will break as it didn't pop easily.
How can I safely fix it?
>>
Any distro with good font rendering?
>>
File: 80589[1].png (30KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
80589[1].png
30KB, 650x500px
>>61262424
>>61262468
wrong.
Higher end phones have fast storage, faster than HDDs. Midrange phones are still usually as fast as a HDD. random read is better on phone nand than on HDDs too.

It depend a lot on what phone you have. Phones boot slow in general.

Also, when comparing encrypted vs. unencrypted the raw read speed of the drive matters less than the decoder(CPU) power.

>>61262560
both the x86 and modern ARM CPUs have instructions for decoding AES faster, but the PCs CPU is still much more powerful which is why the phone is slower.
>>
>>61262586
Nope.
>>
>>61262581
just check a"how to" video, you can break it if you do it wrong.
>>
>>61262623
One of the dudes you're quoting said that flash storage is slower than SSDs, not HDDs. And your chart proves his point. Dumbass.
>>
does anyone ever use LaTeX as the main way to type documents and shit
>>
Why do people say IPC when they mean single core/thread performance. Are they retarded?
>>
What's the cheapest laptop you can get with a 1080p screen that's widely available?
>>
>>61262710
Well i thought he meant much slower than HDDs because of this:

>it should be much faster than my computer's HDD.
>Phone is much slower.

When he said phone is much slower it seems like he compared the guys PC to his phone, not a SSD to nand.

Also, the iphone isnt much slower than a (sata)ssd either.
>>
Is there a noticeable difference between the Intel Core M3-6Y30 and the Intel Celeron N3450?
Is a laptop with the M3 a better option?
>>
>>61262749
No, unless it's an important presentation it's just a waste of time.

I type my notes, draft and general documents on google office, you know unless it's top secret or important don't bother.
>>
I'm using LInux (lubuntu, specifically).
A friend of mine sent me some .zips. Their filenames contain Japanese characters and so do the files inside.

Unzipping these files normally produces gibberish filenames. What is the best way to prevent this?

My preliminary google searches indicated this has been a long-standing problem...
>>
>>61262749
It's very common in sciences. Most of the time, if you read a scientific paper, it was typeset in latex.
>>
>>61262262
i understand your hate for python but someone here surely understands what's going on here
it must be related to the way certain functions work
>>
>>61262773
>Are they retarded?
Yes.

>>61262880
the celereon is based on Apollo lake (think intel atom) and the m3 is based on skylake.

The m3 is better in every way, but specifically it is more than twice as powerful in single core and the GPU is a lot more powerful.

The m3 is usually a lot more expensive tho.
>>
>>61262908
It may be zip's issue, next time ask for a tar.xz or tar.gz or tar.bz
>>
>>61262880
They are both crap, especially the overpriced Core-M, try to find a i5 around the same price or go home.
>>
>>61262034
Anyone?
>>
>>61262424
CPU on phones are pretty shitty.
Some might have hardware encryption support, some might not have it.

Equally, phones tend to have horribly shitty bandwidth between components of the phone.
The memory is one of these in particular that can vary wildly from version to version, never mind different brands entirely.
Think the difference between consoles and PC in gaming.
They can have fairly similar processors and GPUs, and because they are dedicated and the games ARE the OS, they should be better than the same hardware at the time, right?
Most don't because the console companies gimp the fuck out of the bandwidth between components so hard that the processors can never reach their full potential.
>>
>>61263090
True, a 6 year old i5 buissness laptop will be faster and cheaper. The m3 isnt THAT far off (until it heats up and throttles) in this case though
>>
>>61263145
adobe acrobat

>>61262586
It's called "charm", you don't get linux font experience anywhere else.
>>
Why does Youtube@4K looks better than 1080p on a full hd monitor?
When I play games with internal rendering @4K on a full hd monitor, does than mean I'm playing the game at 1080p with 2x SSAA?
>>
>>61263249
>Why does Youtube@4K looks better than 1080p on a full hd monitor?
Because it's downscaled 4k. the bitrate is much higher than 1080, and since 4 pixels are downsampled to 1 compression artifacts are much less noticable.

It's really retarded that most people dont upload in 4k.

>When I play games with internal rendering @4K on a full hd monitor, does than mean I'm playing the game at 1080p with 2x SSAA?

yes.
>>
>>61262402
What do you want explained that the MDN doesn't already cover?
>>
Is upgrading a CPU as simple as swapping it out for a newer one with no other steps? I could've sworn that there's some headaches about doing it.
And since I'm asking, what would be a cheap step up from an i5-2500k that works with Windows 7?
>>
can I get a quick rundown on the changes from Scheme R5RS, Scheme R6RS, and Scheme R7RS
>>
>>61263163
It doesn't have to be that old, for example just a quick search: http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

That one has the same price and it's faster. Not the best battery savers though, the i5's.
>>
>>61263383
>Is upgrading a CPU as simple as swapping it out for a newer one with no other steps?
If it's the same socket, yes. Sometimes yo need to upgrade your bios first.

>what would be a cheap step up from an i5-2500k
Look for a 2600k or 3770k. The step up wont be massive. have a llok for stuff like Xeon E3-1280 which is LGA 1155 as well. It wont be super cheap though, and it wont be a massive step up.

>>61263393
Are you going by intel ark pricing or the price of machines that acctually use those CPUs?
>>
macbook air, needs prop wifi driver, no ethernet

so debian live has a bug where it wont install without a internet connection, so anon suggested I use a different installer. which worked, except now I dont have the dependices to install bcmwl-kernel-source, I looked into apt-offline, but it wont install without dependicies(wrf Debian)

Im about to go crazy. been at this fot 24 hours

I have an older(~6months ish) arch netinstall iso, anyone know if it comes with bcmwl?
>>
Chromium has this annoying "SIgn in to chromium" thingy in the top right. I never use it and want to remove/hide it from the gui.

How?
>>
>>61263383
Almost, you need to install the OS again and make sure your motherboard and CPU cooler is compatible.

You don't have many options with the same socket http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-2500K.html

I recommend just selling your 2500k and motherboard, buy a 7700k + z170 motherboard if you want a noticeable difference.
>>
>>61263558
i don't think it can be. even iridium which is basically chromium without google has that, even though the sign in button doesn't even work in it.
>>
>>61263574
>buy a 7700k + z170 motherboard
7700k is only better for 120hz+ gaming with a high end gpu, if that's not what you are going to use it for a ryzen 1600 or 1700 + b350 mobo is significantly cheaper and much better.
>>
>>61261986

I put my pc in a new case recently, i have a 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, and a 2tb HDD that isn't showing up in windows. I can see it in BIOS as drive 3, but can't actually use it. Was a cord not plugged in well enough? it's kinda a bitch to take out and plug back in
>>
What's the simplest way to "un-make" my last action in a drawing application (by applying what was there before on the changed part of the picture) instead of going back to a previous copied bitmap in undo?
>>
Is it possible to use a Ryzen 5 1600 on Windows 7?
>>
>>61263716
according to some tests it can cause crashing in win7
>>
>>61263698
only one drive not showing up? does it show in disk management? if not, try re-plugging.

>>61263716
It's possible but it's a hassle. maybe try google..? http://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

But even then you wont get the optimizations and it may be unstable.
I know windows 10 sucks but once you disable the spying best you can with third party apps and disable updates it's ok.
>>
AMD should support W7. many people would be pleased with such decision and it would make them have a better opinion on AMD
like linuxes are friendly for old software
>>
File: screenshot.1499461937.jpg (118KB, 815x640px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.1499461937.jpg
118KB, 815x640px
>>61263708
You need to look for the Undo delay and lower it down, it will use more RAM though.

This is clip paint.
>>
>>61262262
guys...please...
>>
http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/f394215ae

Is RGBW really so awful for 4k TVs?
>>
Why does Nightly (Firefox too) get extremely slow if I leave it open overnight?
>>
total coding noob been trying to learn javascript for a couple of weeks, what stupid mistake is preventing my capital B counter from working? :(

var Bs = 0
function countBs(word) {
for (var i = 0; i == (word.length - 1); i++){
if (word[i] == 'B'){
Bs++}
}
return Bs;
}

console.log(countBs("BBC"));

//outputs 0 no matter what argument I provide
>>
>>61263542
>Are you going by intel ark pricing or the price of machines that acctually use those CPUs?
Just intel prices, but it should reflect on the laptop price too. There may be a cheaper I5 laptop dunno, the buyer should do the research, countries prices may vary
>>
>>61263901
>>>/dpt/
>>
>>61263901
The count variable should be declared and initialized inside the loop otherwise its not starting from 0 on repeated calls to that function. Like if its 2 this time if you call it again its going to start counting from 2 not 0. Secondly the condition in the for loop is wrong it should be <= not ==. On the first itteration through the loop it checks if i equals the index of the last character of the string and it doesn't so it doesn't even enter the loop body once.
>>
>>61261986
I need a "modern" motherboard with a parallel port for the ancient printer my boss can't afford to replace.

Anything from the last 5 years will do, I just can't find anything, and the boss is against an adapter, as they've tried several and haven't had any luck.

I'm looking, but I can't find shit...
>>
>>61262262
Because it downloads the image from image_url but get the extension to save it as from original_format, change that line before the else to just be image_output_filename = image_filename to fix it.
Dunno why it greens different format than your browser but probably because it gets the url from json_dict instead of directly from the url you pass it.
Also using regex instead of split to get the extension it's lulz worthy.
>>
i wanna watch the free trailers in brazzers but i have hit the limit already. in the past using incognito mode which doesnt track cookies or whatever worked, but now they seem to have fixed it. can i find a way around without restarting router for different ip? tried deleting cookies already (just cookies tho) did not work.
>>
>>61262398
What? New kernel should come as part of normal system upgrade. You only need headers if Building module.
>>
File: has science gone too far.jpg (37KB, 627x627px) Image search: [Google]
has science gone too far.jpg
37KB, 627x627px
in my web mapping class, we had to start an instance of xampp before viewing our website to actually see it working.

when i went home, i could load the website directly from my IDE and it worked fine.

but opening index.html from the file browser does not work because it doesn't know the jQuery identifier ($). I assume this is because I am loading jquery from a CDN.

Why, then? Why do I have to either run it on xampp or run it from my IDE? what is the difference?

i googled this but i think the question is pretty broad so i cant find a direct answer
>>
>>61264081
I'm using a custom Debian for Odroid, called Debian Jessie which can use 3.10 or4.9, and I'm trying to move upwards.
>>
>>61264041
i thought about it as well but then instead of ".png.svg" i get only ".png" which gets recognized by both program and browser as a png file so still no good
>>
>>61262908
It ain't that they are jap characters but that they are encoded in jap encoding rather than utf8, which is the default on Linux these days. You can manually rename the files with encoding translating tools but I don't remember what it's called and am on phone, sry.
>>
>>61263830
Why not just set a limit of undos/redos kept in memory, and then anything beyond that is saved on disk?
>>
File: la_te_xi_t_1.jpg (3KB, 147x63px) Image search: [Google]
la_te_xi_t_1.jpg
3KB, 147x63px
What level of math is this?
>>
My mom's complaining that some of the apps on her Android tablet stopped working yesterday, they just crash when launched. Specifically the CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, Crackle, NPR News and Watch Food Network apps. I haven't been able to find anybody else having this problem so far and all I can think of is that these apps are trying to make system calls for video playback or something that isn't valid anymore for some reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since my mom's tablet is her only computer.
>>
>>61264162
Ah, damn. If I post a throwaway email here, could you send me the name of those tools, if/when you remember? I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>61264174
europe-wise last year of highschool
na-wise first year of college/university
no idea elsewhere
>>
>>61263543
Why not just grab the dependencies too for the Debian installer?
>>
>>61264174
Egyptian
>>
>>61264174
late mid/early high school in Poland
>>
>>61264005
Intel LGA 775 + intel Q9700 or similar
>>
>>61264253
oh, and it's from physics
>>
>>61264165
That's how it works, when it runs out of memory limit it uses the HDD, but I assume it becomes very slow unless you're on a SSD, besides not being healthy for the disk.
>>
>>61264253
>>61264274
if you encounter this in physics in late midschool this means you have already encountered this type of maths in math class before. calling bullshit on that, no way poland is teaching these in mid school
>>
File: leonard.jpg (24KB, 515x375px) Image search: [Google]
leonard.jpg
24KB, 515x375px
>>61264253

late mid/early

huh
>>
>>61261986
Creating image containers for website. Description text pushes down image. How can I get around this?
>>
>>61264322
come on anon... he means late midschool/early highschool
>>
File: Untitled.png (19KB, 749x291px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19KB, 749x291px
Fuck my ass is that really too hot
I do NOT want to go into wireworld
>>
>>61264320
and what's complicated in that? division?
>>61264322
it's late mid OR early high
>>
>>61264131
Well that's what it gets from the json_dict at the top of the sample you posted. If you want it to get a differing image you need to make it use a different url.
>>
>>61264104
Upwards to what? A custom kernel? Do you want to upgrade the whole system to stretch?
>>
>>61264372
No no, sorry for my bad reply.

OS is using 3.10 Debian Jessie.
I wanto to upgrade to 4.9 Debian Jessie

Them both official Hardkernel Odroid kernels.
>>
>>61264348
probably a false reading, don't use speccy
>>
>>61264403
That makes sense considering i've got all those drives stacked in there like pancakes because i'm stupid
I'll ignore it, that usually works
>>
>>61264343
Did you check the console for errors?
>>
>>61264343
Just load jquery before using it dummy. And the Fuck are you losing a web page from an ide and a file browser? Are you done kind of terrorist?
>>
>>61264348
It does noise? Is it hot to touch?
>>
>>61264385
I can't check right now, and I don't know if it is different for your odroid repo, but if 4.9 isn't available in Jessie you will need to enable and check the backports suite. If it ain't in there learn about apt pinning and get it from stretch
>>
File: RRlYy0w_d.jpg (33KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
RRlYy0w_d.jpg
33KB, 450x319px
Alright /g/, if my laptop requires one more major component to be replaced, I'm entitled to a replacement/upgrade from the manufacturer from a first gen to a third gen model. Huge step up.

>What qualifies a major component?

I've had the screen replaced six times for defective LCDs, the keyboard replaced for failing keys, fans replaced, mobo replaced.

What is the fastest (and most believable) way to make the manufacturers think something was defective with their product? Hopefully I don't need to put down Ol' Yeller myself and he'll die naturally, but worst case scenario how can I induce a hardware failure, that appears to be on their end from defective hardware, that ensures replacement?

I've got some good ideas, but I wouldn't mind hearing yours.
>>
>>61264423

the only error is "$ is not defined", which means jquery isn't loaded. but jquery is imported before main.js (all the actual site logic). but loading index.html from the IDE itself does not have this problem. our instructor said that it has to be loaded on a local server (xampp) but didn't explain why. i assume that my IDE is also running a background server. i just don't understand why this is necessary.

>>61264428
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>61264355
but why does it work in browser?
>>
What does it mean to boot a UEFI drive? I just upgraded my entire rig but kept my SSD from my old rig with Windows 10 on it and the BIOS I'm using has a Windows 10 compatibility mode for booting into drives that uses "UEFI" but it doesn't seem to think my drive is compatible with it. What do I have to do to make it compatible and what benefit would it offer me?
>>
how are tripcodes calculated? is the a "official" documentation on them?
>>
>>61264512
I'm not sure but can only assume your browser downloads both scripts async and the local one gets there before jQuery is fetched, if it was me I would throw in an event handler that waits for the document to be fully loaded before doing anything.
>>
File: Photo0003.jpg (187KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0003.jpg
187KB, 1200x1600px
>>61264320
i actually looked for my old notebooks from highschol as a proof but found this instead
me in high school, end of second year to get an extra grade (otherwise i'd fail)
>>
File: help.png (177KB, 1441x761px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
177KB, 1441x761px
Okay guys, I'm having a very disconcerting issue with my PC
Often my audio will begin to sound very staticy, almost as if the audio were clipping, except its happening on perfectly acceptable volume, and every so often, the audio (and any video accompanying the audio) will lag out with the audio repeating itself for about half a second.
I looked online for what may be causing this, and I ran into the issue of DPC latency. I installed latencymon, and discovered that the audio dropouts were accompanied by spikes in interrupt latency. However, unlike the solutions I found on google, my latency spikes were not accompanied by any specific driver, or hard pagefaults (though there were MANY pagefaults occuring, they did not occur during the audio dropouts.)
This is driving me insane, and I can't properly listen to music or watch anything until I fix it, or at least know what the source of the problem is.
Pic related is the result of latencymon.
>>
>>61264586
Read the 2chan source code, or any of the *chan sites, really.
There is some system of taking the password and feeding it into the PHP cypto function, but I don't remember the exact details.
>>
>>61264533
You dont have to use uefi and there are various points in not using it.
You may have to enable "legacy boot" in your bios to boot from it
>>
What's a decent laptop for around $500 buds, no touch-screens though.
>>
>>61264614

im just putting a bunch of stupid fucking text at the beginning of this post because "the system thinks my post is spam" once again fuck you hiroshimoot this is just a scam to make me do more captcha

all of main.js is wrapped in a window onload call

4chan my post is not spam thank you very much how the fuck do you even calculate this god damn it
>>
>>61264482
Yeah they're already activated. So I will install the headers, dist-upgrade, then the image, dist-upgrade, and then reboot.
>>
a russian IP tried to log into my steam with the correct username and password, but were stopped because they needed access to my email for a code

i don't really do anything sketchy that i can think of that'd put a keylogger on my computer, wat do
>>
>>61264802

change all your passwords, especially your main email and anything that may be connected to credit card numbers / paypal / whatever

if you are extra paranoid, reformat your hard drive
>>
>>61264828
but if there is a keylogger, won't that just fuck me harder?
>>
>>61264509
Try overheating the cpu. Insert a thin stick into the fan exhaust to block it, while the machine is turned off (so it doesn't scratch the fan). Turn it on and watch it burn.
>>
I upgraded my MOBO, the old one came with bios while this one with UEFI support. I had dual boot (w7-linux mint).

After upgrading windows will crash at the loading logo and will cause the pc to reboot. Will formating everything fix it? Linux works just fine.
>>
I had the idea to create a screen with no light so that it can be read in the sunlight, i found somebody has already done it.
Now, my question is ¿can i add a switch to the backlight somehow in a normal lcd screen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOQ-RKSjmw8
>>
>>61264847
You should reinstall windows fresh and review your last installed programs before installing them again, also any firewall with white list will stop keyloggers unless the keylogger is hidden in a white listed program (for example a firefox extension)
>>
File: 0005.gif (18KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
0005.gif
18KB, 128x128px
In Linux, what keeps erasing my /etc/resolv.conf and replacing it with its own? And how to make it stop?
>>
>>61264937
Read.
/etc/resolvconf.conf
>>
Is there an official source for verifying Microsoft checksums now that MSDN is locked out?
>>
>>61264621
Looks like a russian language
>>
>>61265018
Read.read
/etc/resolv.conf.conf.conf

?
>>
>>61265062
Read the fucking file faggot
>>
Just got done installing ram how do i remove this ad
>>
How do I stop feeling like a retard as a software engineering student? tech seems impossibly broad and termology impossibly confusing.
>>
>>61264937
Your dhcp client or netwokmanager. If you want to be lazy and not look into it any further use chattr -I to make the file immutable. You will have to do +I if you want to edit it again though. Or you could use chown and chmod I suppose.
>>
>>61265145
>chattr
Opposite way. +i makes it immutable
>>
>>61265078
And not a lick of sense was made that day.
>>
>>61264866
Yes it will fix it, you can keep your files.
>>
>>61261347
I'm so sorry I failed to respond in the same thread, but thank you so much for doing that for me.
>>
>>61264851
Awesome idea. Was my second thought after a glass of water. Thanks for the confirmation. Bless ya anon.
>>
File: 1496703344456.jpg (88KB, 807x537px) Image search: [Google]
1496703344456.jpg
88KB, 807x537px
I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 along side with Windows 7 in legacy mode. Each time I restart and try to boot windows, mouse does not work. I have to restart, unplug mouse, plug into different usb port, and then win may recognize it (maybe after two restarts). What gives? How do I solve this?
>>
is it safe to put some files like pictures on a flash drive to put back on a computer after reformatting it due to suspected infection?
>>
>>61265245
You're actually doing it? I'm worried about windows logs though, will windows leave any evidence that the fan was blocked or not spinning? maybe you should boot a live linux, I hope we are not overlooking something.

Also you should stop buying anything from that store or brand desu
>>
File: 1416469193396.png (191KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1416469193396.png
191KB, 200x200px
>>61265054
in which part does it, even slightly, look like a Russian?
>>
>>61265176
No problem, I'm trying to practice shell scripting more anyway.
>>
I paired an Xbox controller with my PC recently and whenever I press the power button on the controller it won't turn off but causes the volume to rise.

I already removed it and re-paired it and Googled it. Any ideas? Thanks.
>>
Do the latest updates for Windows 7/8.1 really include the same telemetry shit Windows 10 has?
>>
>>61263773
after some research it appears the microsoft will stop supporting skylake and higher for win7 this year. is it worth upgrading to win10 if i want to get a new cpu?
>>
>>61265524
Having done some googling, it turns out they do. What's the best way to remove it?
>>
>>61262262
okay so i decided to change the code a bit but i failed at adding a single print(). it's either unexpected indent or program crashes after compiling
my question is: why is pythons so fucking retarded?
>>
File: mLgeSIC.jpg (907KB, 2092x3718px) Image search: [Google]
mLgeSIC.jpg
907KB, 2092x3718px
Bumping
>>
Anyone else having Firefox taking up to 2.5GBs of RAM?
Any way to limit of reduce RAM consumption?
>>
>>61265798
The thread?
>>
>>61265842
You want programs to use your ram,that is why you bought the ram,to use it.
Why would you want to not utilize a resource on your system?

linuxatemyram.com
>>
File: chrome_2017-07-07_19-54-28.png (262KB, 2560x1486px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-07-07_19-54-28.png
262KB, 2560x1486px
Besides just zooming in, is there any way to centre posts in 4chanX fo 3/4's of my screen isn't empty?
>>
>>61265907
i guess the real problem is something along the lines of:
"whenever FF passes the 2GB RAM consumption point, the app starts getting really slow and shitty; any way to fix this?"

also, for the record, there's an average of 100-120 tabs open between 3-4 FF windows

could that be the problem...?
>>
>>61265974
How much RAM do you have?
>>
File: connector_atx_pinout[1].gif (21KB, 458x414px) Image search: [Google]
connector_atx_pinout[1].gif
21KB, 458x414px
>>61262050

The molex 20/24 pin motherboard connector has a -12V line, so you could use that with the +12V to get 24V
>>
>>61265974
>could having 100 to 120 full featured(images,javascript,media) websites open at the same time cause some sort of negative effect on performance.
>>
>>61265981
16GBs
>>
>>61265974
baka...
>>
>>61265990
the majority of the tabs are 4ch images and a couple of unloaded youtube videos
>>
>>61265524
>>61265676
https://pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
>>
what do they mean by this
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/streamlink/config ~/.streamlinkrc

im trying to set the default player for streamlink but i dont find the config file, im on mint
>>
>>61266209
If XDG_CONFIG_HOME isn't set, they will look in ~/.config
>>
>>61266301
hmm there is no streamlink folder there but i guess i have to create it
>>
File: siegel.jpg (339KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
siegel.jpg
339KB, 1024x768px
hi /g/

just got a new laptop here in leafland (canada) and pic related is covering one of the screw holes.

ive heard something about this being illegal in the states.
ei manufacturers cant void your warranty for upgrading the hard drive, which is what i want to do.
is that true, and does it apply to canada as well?
>>
>>61266349
You didnt buy the parts,you bought the machine intact.Your warranty is for the machine as a whole.If you break the seal you void the warrenty. They may offer a maintenance program where you can buy additional space,but otherwise,any modification to the machine is breaking the warranty
>>
>>61266349
protip here

https://youtu.be/wfOZKj8ZGqo
>>
File: iz4j768blh2z.jpg (1MB, 4647x3098px) Image search: [Google]
iz4j768blh2z.jpg
1MB, 4647x3098px
>>61261986
What would be a good source to learn game engine development? I know that Unity and Unreal are the dominant quick-start environments out there, but for the sake of knowledge, I'd like to know what is required/what I should know to build my own.
>>
File: FileTransfer-600-200px.png (119KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
FileTransfer-600-200px.png
119KB, 600x200px
>>61261986
what's the fastest way to get 65GB from my windows server with 500 up and my home connection being 120 down? ftp seems to limit speed, p2p fileshare hosters limit speed too
>>
>>61266425
>ftp limits speed
Only if you have bandwidth restrictions set on your server.
Ftp is the superior option here
>>
>>61266412
>Take at least 10 seconds to Google first
If you Google "program game engine from scratch" and you'll get several walkthrough blogs. The only reason you'd program such a system from scratch would be to learn more about how these systems work.

Saying you want to program a game engine is like saying you want to build a car engine. You won't be able to make it as good as the teams of high paid professionals do, but at least your research will hopefully teach you more about it.
>>
>>61266448
I removed any limitations (filezilla) and it was only downloading at 7.5 max speed
>>
I want to get out of web development. What should I learn.
>>
>>61266376
This is what I've been able to find:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2015/06/latest-word-warranties

FTC basically prohibits "voiding warranty for installing aftermaker tools", applies to both cars and electronics over $15.

"If you replaced the screen yourself with an appropriate one, then they could not claim that voided the warranty"

>>61266406
That looks like a whole lot of work and I don't have any of that machining equipment at hand.
Any way to buy these somewhere?
>>
>>61266349
i once removed the "do not remove" sticker. you should see my face when 10 seconds later a party van barged into my house
>>
>>61266469
>but at least your research will hopefully teach you more about it.

Which is exactly what I'm looking for. I figure the more I know about fundamental systems, the more I can manipulate systems already in place, like those in Unity or Unreal.
>>
File: hwa.png (615KB, 719x588px) Image search: [Google]
hwa.png
615KB, 719x588px
What do you guys use to save all the images in a thread at once on windows?
>>
>>61266493
traceroute and see if you have any shitty routers in your path.
Same goes with 1 click hosters,it depends on where their servers are and where you are.
You could try torrenting but still again it depends on your peering
>>
File: pyth.png (98KB, 1023x579px) Image search: [Google]
pyth.png
98KB, 1023x579px
Why do so many Python applications/distributions/etc make such a big jump between Python versions?

e.g.: Anaconda has a version for Python v2.7 and one for v3.6.

This seems disjointed to me; are there huge differences between 2.7 and 3.6 that are so great that some people would prefer to use the older version of Python? I guess I don't understand why these two specific versions of Python are what's supported.
>>
>>61266493
your internet provider might me throttling your outbound connection on standard file transfer ports (ei ftp port).
try a non-standard port or maybe a different protocol (like ssh or a vpn tunnel).

you'd be surprised how often they do this behind their customers backs.
>>
Should I take a programmer job that offers me 39% of the national average fresh computer science graduates are getting? A baker earns the same amount of money.
>>
>>61266592
Python is a clusterfuck. They made massive, breaking changes for 3.0, so people had to rewrite their shit if they wanted it to work on both.
So you now have this massive divide where there are a bunch of people still running 2.X because the libraries they want to use haven't been upgraded, and everyone else on 3.X.
>>
File: ug.png (156KB, 482x355px) Image search: [Google]
ug.png
156KB, 482x355px
If I start my own video game company, should I hire a laywer?

Can I just use a 3rd party service on an as-need basis, since it would be silly having a lawyer sit in the office every day?
>>
>>61266634
Ahh, that makes sense. Much appreciated.
>>
>>61266621
If you like sitting in a chair all day, staring at a screen, and overtime without pay then take a comp sci job.

Otherwise i'd stick to baking.
>>
File: jj4WywmieKBuF9Cj.png (124KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
jj4WywmieKBuF9Cj.png
124KB, 256x256px
>>61262581
google how to pop your model of keyboard

Most keyboards are meant to be popped, e.g. thinkpads just snap on and off.
>>
>>61266649
I can't actually bake myself, I just compared the numbers. I can't do anything that doesn't involve sitting behind a computer.
>>
what comes after quads?
>>
>>61262908
Use eg
ls | iconv -f WINDOWS-1252 -t UTF-8
to check what encoding the filenames are. Change the WINDOWS-1252 to other ones until the output looks right, maybe try ISO-8859-1, SHIFT-JIS, EUC-JP, ISO2022JP.
>>
>>61266663
real life anime

>>61266658
I was just like you working a low end comp sci gig.
Eventually i've had enough and took a trades apprenticeship and now make 3x the money while working half as much.

Pretty strange how everyone thinks that comp sci is the way of life yet most comp sci positions are dead end garbage jobs.
>>
>>61266725
Why not just create your own startup and make big bucks with software you created all on your own??
>>
>>61266637
Do you expect to get sued?
>>
>>61266734
Lmao, talk about a pipe-dream.

I'd imagine most people simply don't have the drive to pull it off.

"Making something all on your own" means you have to work even more, literally all day every day.
Even then it takes a considerable amount of time to make a profit, probably several years.

What would I live on for the time being?

>oh you can work and make your own software at the same time"
That's a straight up lie.
>>
>>61266758
Let's say it's a lolicon game company
>>
>>61266798
This shit is illegal everywhere but few degenerate shitholes like Japan and Ukraine. Do you plan to distribute anywhere besides those few places?
If yes, no lawyer will save you.
>>
File: svchost.png (122KB, 856x1039px) Image search: [Google]
svchost.png
122KB, 856x1039px
Do I have a botnet /g/? There's always 50+ instances of svchost.exe running when my computer is on. There didn't used to be this many, and this is even after a clean reformat. Is this a windows10 """"feature""""?
>>
>>61266864
rip u
>>
>>61266864
>Do I have a botnet /g/?
No. A botnet has you.
>>
File: cppgxTnb.jpg (14KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
cppgxTnb.jpg
14KB, 160x160px
>>61266870
>>61266883

o-oh dear....
>>
So while browsing around to download something i noticed that a file downloaded itself from an ad, first thing i did was to scan it, malwarebytes didnt pick it up.

But Uploading it to VirusTotal revealed that its a bitcoin miner.

Where i can report this file to malwarebytes?
>>
>>61266864
Go look at your services, but no that's not normal. I have 21 and I have a lot of shit installed.
>>
>>61266902
>a file downloaded itself from an ad
Huh!
>>
>>61266836
Its legal in the US
>>
>>61266976
If its legal then why would you need a lawyer?
>>
File: IMG_2890.png (171KB, 1000x765px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2890.png
171KB, 1000x765px
Guys, how stupid is it to change your outdated portable workstation for an ultrabook ? How stupid is it to make an ultrabook your main/only computer ?
>>
>>61266968
>Want to download file
>Behind link shorterner ad service (Linkb subdomain).
>Click it, disable uMatrix as son page loads a file downloads but because thanks to Common sense i checked that its not the file i wanted since it was too small
>Scan it, nothing
>Upload it to Virus total
>https://virustotal.com/en/file/4af9c584cac9d5501fc40cbcee3e943d86274a83bf8af6c6aed905967dfe5edc/analysis/1499477214/
>>
>>61266985
Companies need lawyers for alot of things.
Such as validating contracts between companies,trade agreements,making sure your product is properly trademarked/patented/licensed
>>
>>61266985
you need a lawyer to maintain legal status by knowing your boundaries
>>
>>61266985
I think you need to consult a lawyer to actually start a business.
>>
>>61266894
The botnet surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together
>>
File: file.png (59KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
59KB, 657x527px
Hey /g/. It's difficult to explain why I did it, basically the shroud that my heatsink sits in was too big, and the heatsink is loose and wouldn't make contact properly with the CPU. So to fill up the space, I put some piece of napkins to tighten it, and as I predicted it actually makes contact. My question is, is this a fire hazard, since the napkin is directly in contact with the heatsink? If so, what alternative solution would you come up, I'm sure teflon or duct tape would just melt and make a bigger mess.
>>
>>61267070
Stupid frogposter.
>>
>>61267015
That depends on whether you mean "you" in the general sense or annon in particular. There's no legal reason you need to.
>>
>>61267070
The fuck?!
>>
>>61267070
yes firehazard
use some dollar store sponges instead
>>
File: file.png (34KB, 958x637px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
34KB, 958x637px
>>61267088
Okay, thank you.

>>61267081
Basically the slot the heatsink holds onto is too big and it wiggles, and if I put it on the CPU like the way it is normally, it only makes contact with a quarter of the processor. The black part is the shroud, the gray is the heatsink, the red circles is where it's supposed to sit inside which is loose. It's a temporary solution to see if it filling the space in would fix the problem.
>>
>>61267129
Bruh,get a new heatsink,that shit will burn easy
>>
File: file.png (379KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
379KB, 1000x667px
>>61267143
I would if it wasn't a proprietary Dell one. I'm only doing this because I ALWAYS wanted to upgrade an old PC like this to be something capable.
>>
>>61267164
Dell dosent create their own sockets,they use standard sockets like everyone else.
>>
Any recommendations for buying a decent modem/router without spending more than necessary?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 750x626px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 750x626px
>>61267197
Yes, this computer in fact uses LGA775. However, the mounting holes appear to be proprietary.
>>
>>61267226
Looks like your average 775 heatsink socket to me.
>>
File: file.png (497KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
497KB, 500x482px
>>61267246
Heatsink mount is different.
>>
Building my first gaming pc on a tight budget ($700)

If I'm aiming for just a stable 60fps on most modern titles, would an i3 suffice or should I shell out more for an i5?
Haven't decided on a gpu yet
>>
>>61266179
Thanks anon.
>>
>>61267265
More and more games are becoming poorly optimized, so you may as well invest in an i5. Power of the i5 doesn't matter as much, even a low end i5 of the same gen will beat a high end i3 because it has four actual cores. As for GPUs, PC games are optimized for nVidia cards first and foremost, and won't get AMD optimizations well after release. Also, a growing number of games are calling for a lot and/or fast RAM, don't let anyone tell you that 8GB or more is too much.
>>
>>61267260
Yeah sorry, i noticed the 2 different holes so its indeed the shitty Dell OEM propietary HSF.
You cant do a lot about it.
Back to your original question it is fire hazard tier.

>>61267265
Buy a I5, save $200+ for the GPU, right now is a bad time to buy one thanks to mining problems and black friday will be soon.
Dont cheap out in your PSU, avoid 2D NAND SSDs, avoid AMD CPUs, AMD GPUs are fine.
>>
>>61261986
which is the best number for load factor in a string hash with lists avoid prevens?
>>
>>61267297
8gb of ram is what I was thinking of getting yeah. I was always under the impression that I'd never need more than like 16
I'll also keep nVidia in mind too, thanks
>>61267312
So if I go with an i5, can I get away with a somewhat lower end gpu then?
>>
>>61267366
Get 16gb
>>
File: webgl.png (6KB, 298x125px) Image search: [Google]
webgl.png
6KB, 298x125px
>>61261986
What's the problem with this? Pic related.
I tried the chrome://flags/ and didn't seems to find any webgl checkbox to enable. Help?
>>
>>61267366
You can, a GTX 1050Ti is $120 and can run most if not all recent games at 45-60FPS, with a GTX 1060 6GB you can max everything and will be able to do it for a long time.

GTX 1070 and 1080 are for 1440p+ or 144Hz gaming.
>>
>>61262007
If you can plug a monitor into it, it works.
>>
File: 1480996489452.png (872KB, 992x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1480996489452.png
872KB, 992x1263px
Which free PDF reader should I use?

Standard is "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Random sites claim "Foxit Reader" is the best free PDF reader.

However, when I google for comparison between them all I get is a comparison of the paid, not free versions.

So which is the best free PDF reader?

Also, is there a new version of pic related? I saved it when it was first made but it includes trash like VLC so obviously the list is flawed.
>>
>>61267472
cracked version of foxit
>>
>>61267472
Adobe reader IX.

DC is shitty as fuck.
>>
I know that the sockets have to match for the mobo and cpu, and I know the DDR for the ram has to match as well, are there any other specific match ups I need to be aware of as I'm picking out parts?
>>
File: 1470923083760.png (4KB, 348x199px) Image search: [Google]
1470923083760.png
4KB, 348x199px
>>61267493
Is 11 okay too?
>>
>>61266993
Guys answer me
>>
>>61267513
Nothing major.
- Make sure your GPU fits in your case. They don't make REALLY fucking long GPUs anymore (AMD HD 6990) and modern cases are designed with long GPUs in mind, so this is a non-issue these days.
- If you're buying a massive heatsink for your CPU, make sure it doesn't hang over the top PCI-e slot and you don't have another place to put your GPU.
>>
per /g/'s reccomendations i've been using noscript to avoid being tracked by what it's capable of blocking.

But I just realized: As I browse the internet, I temporarily unblock scripts as I need to to get the sites I view to work, since some scripts are needed to get sites to function. But the "temporary" permission lasts the entire browsing session. So If I go to this page, need to enable some script to get it to work, do so, then close the tab, there's still the potential that script is tracking me till I close my brwoser, which would be undesirable.

Is there a setting so I can tell it to make temporary permissions to only last untill the tab/all tabs using that script are closed, even if the browser session doesn't end?
>>
Following this tutorial right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIVfDZZeGxM

31:10 doesn't work for me. I thought I wasn't following correctly until I copied his code and it still didn't work. Any ideas what's wrong?
Using Chrome by the way.
>>
How much can self driving cars accomplish if you're not there to direct it? Like can you have it drop you off at the curb and then go find a parking spot on its own, and come back to pick you up when you're done what you're doing? Can it drop you off at the airport and then drive itself back home and park itself in your garage?
>>
File: bighuy.png (3KB, 119x47px) Image search: [Google]
bighuy.png
3KB, 119x47px
I'm looking for a basic image editor on my android. Not the crap with filters or stickers and such, I want something that's ms paint but on my phone. Something quick and easy to use. For making shitty memes and cropping reaction images and stuff when I'm away from my computer.
Ideas?
>>
Best USB WIFI adapter for a 2017 Dell XPS 13? Getting the non-dev version and dual booting Linux and windows. Cost doesn't matter. I want something nice.
>>
>>61267722
I think it's mostly liability preventing features like that from existing at this point. Nobody wants to take the risk of the car doing something bad when nobody is inside to stop it. The technology is pretty much there already, but as far as I know all the current self driving cars pretty much require someone to be in there and interacting with it in some capacity as a failsafe.
>>
On file hosting sites, is there any way to cheat their system and download premimum account only files? Particularly on rapidgator?
>>
>>61267775
There are premium link generator sites that will use their own account to download the file quickly and then mirror it for you. Most of them either require a subscription fee of their own, or are infested with ads and have strict limitations, when they work at all, though.
>>
Why don't we make internet a free and universal service for everyone similar to how we already do for electricity and water?
>>
>>61267755
Branching off from that guy's question: If a motherboard has built in wifi, is that any better/worse/different than a separate adapter card?
Because I'm looking at a B150 that has that specific built in feature and it seems really appealing
>>
>>61265353
Yeah, probably. I shipped it off today since tech left some plastic b/w the lcd and backlight. I have a full-warranty, so even if they don't buy it I'll try something new. I could run this thing over with my car and they'd replace the parts. Long as it's not biohazard, I'm covered.

Honestly, I've had the laptop four years. The first time I sent it back was this year, and each of the issues I had was through user error or a bad run of LCDs. I like the brand and their customer service. If I can get a new gen laptop out of it, along with a reinstatement of warranty, then it's been well worth the money - doubly so.

I could try puppy linux on a flashdrive, maybe?

I could also just fuck up the screen somehow.
>>
>>61267809
>electricity and water
>free and universal service
The fuck planet do you live on?
>>
>>61267472
Disable ads in foxit free settings. 0 fucks.
>>
>>61267848
Well I mean technically we are paying for them with our tax dollars but otherwise we don't need to pay some company a subscription fee or something, seems like internet would work better like this too?
>>
>>61267809
God I wish electricity was free. Wall to wall pot plants and mining rigs.
>>
>>61267868
Do you know how slow an shitty that service would be?
>>
>>61267472
I've been using Sumatra for quite a while and got no complaints for it.
>>
>>61267868
>doesn't pay a company a monthly fee for electricity?
The fuck?
>>
>>61267868
Again, what planet? Is this a canada thing?
>>
>>61267877
I think it would be much better than some corporation that just wants to fuck you over for your money and has no reason to provide good service to most people since they have a monopoly in the area anyway
>>
If you are in a hotel is it acceptable to call the front desk to kill a spider for me? Or will they think I am a wuss?
>>
>>61267893
My isp provides me with 1gbit up/down.
Your shitty utopia idea i would get less then 5mbps because they have to legally provide for every citizen(lets say 50k people)
So instead of 1gbit,i would get 5mbps with shitty pings and horrible peering.

Nah
>>
>>61267901
Do it then report back.
>>
>>61267901
Depends on the spider
>>
>>61263574
Can I just reinstall my OS over my current storage and avoid having to re-download the rest of my current files from some separate backup?
>>
>>61267901
I've had to call the front desk to unclog my massive turd out of their toilet more times than I can count. If they're willing to do that then I don't see why a little spider should be a concern.
>>
>>61267932
No. You can shrink the partition and stick the new OS in the empty space.
>>
>>61267932
Assuming Windows, then yes, just don't select to reformat or repartition during the setup. Your old install will be kept intact and set aside in a separate folder, and everything else on the volume will be left alone.
>>
>>61267932
Usually with Windows this is fine as long as you don't repartition the drive or something. It will put your files in a folder called Windows.old or something like that.

Your installed programs usually need to be reinstalled though, besides for certain upgrade paths.
>>
Does using WINE mean i'll share some of windows' vunerabilities?
>>
>>61267939
>more times than I can count
Wow, you must have prodigious shits.
>>
>>61267978
yes,including wannacry
>>
>>61267791
Do you have any specific recommendations for free ones then that don't have dumb restrictions?
>>
Okay so I want to code something that will record a window on my computer for 10-15 hours. Once done it will speed up the video by around 60x, and restart the program, click a few buttons and type a bit of stuff on the program and record again.
What is the best language (windows only) to learn that will do this desired task for me.
I got recommended to start with learning C, is this the right path?
I a'm aware I can pay someone to do this, but I want to also learn from the experience and do similar things in the future.
>>
I think my headphone jack on my phone is broken. When I have the headphones in, the sound randomly cuts in and out, the volume jumps up and down, the play/pause button only works in certain positions, and the screen will randomly turn on like I pulled it out of the jack

Do i need to replace the entire thing?

I really haven't gotten any help from anyone on this and I just have no idea if the last resort is the only option
>>
What's the difference between Firefox Browser and Firefox for Android beta?
The play store has both, and I don't know which one to install.
>>
>>61268267
>Do i need to replace the entire thing?
If you know how to solder,no,if you dont,yes
>>
File: 2015-05-23-08-50-21-6fd69d.png (109KB, 816x681px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-23-08-50-21-6fd69d.png
109KB, 816x681px
How do I manually crash all my tabs without crashing and closing Firefox itself?
>>
>>61268276
what would i need to solder on it?
>>
>>61268297
Replacing the headphone jack
>>
>>61268303
are you talking about the jack on the phone or the jack on the headphones?

because the problem isnt with the jack on the headphones, they are brand new and work in my laptop and other devices, and other headphones have the same problem on my phone
>>
I have a 6700k cooled with a corsair h100i gtx
I recently migrated to a new case and I was having problems with temps, so I reapplied and remounted the cooler and also turned off my overclock while I was testing to see if temps were safe.

The CPU now sits at 45-50 degrees C at idle, roughly 25 degrees above ambient temp. Is this normal?
Also my PC is crazy loud for the first 5 minutes or so after boot and if I open up HW monitor / speccy immediately then it says my cpu is at 80 or 90 degrees, before slowly stabilising at 45C again a few minutes later. I swear it didn't do that before, what the fuck is going on?
>>
>>61268325
Is the scvhost.exe shitting itself?
>>
>>61268323
No,the headphone jack on the phone
>>
>>61268336
what exactly would i solder though? and a new oem dock costs $5 on ebay
>>
>>61261986
Toughest standard mouse? 2 buttons, 1 middle click mousewheel. Something that would last 5-10 years of nonstop abuse without any of the clickers going bad or losing effect.
>>
>>61268381
My razer deathadder i got in like 2006 or 2007 is still working fine.Even with some abuse(throwing it in to the wall,breaking drywall) it performs flawlessly.It has side buttons on the thumb though
>>
File: IMG_2892.png (85KB, 725x515px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2892.png
85KB, 725x515px
So guys, i'm gonna buy a computer and i'm gonna use it as my main computer, my only computer. My activity is nothing heavy duty, but i think i should get a heavy duty workstation if i want to set it as my only main computer. Is it a wise decision ? I'm thinking about Thinkpad P50
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (177KB, 636x793px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
177KB, 636x793px
>>61268331
I don't think so, I just rebooted again and opened task manager, cpu usage hovered around 60% while discord etc opened and then it dropped down to idle after a few seconds.

Meanwhile pic related was what I could see in HW monitor, and that cpu temp was at literally 100C just a second before I took the screencap.
Could it be a reporting error? I'm thinking that because I watched the temps for a few minutes and as the temps were slowly dropping there would be random spikes of 15C or more in the CPU temp which would disappear a second later, meanwhile there was no CPU activity in task manager.
(my system has more fans than shown here, they're just running from a fan controller)
>>
>>61268462
Are you going to be moving around with it daily? Size does matter. A desktop replacement laptop becomes a pain in the ass to lug around and keep powered, if you're on the move all day.
t.W520 user.
>>
File: IMG_2769.jpg (33KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2769.jpg
33KB, 200x194px
>>61268496
Ok so is it wise to buy an ultrabook then ? I've also been eyeing on X1 Carbon, but the price is a bit of a pain in the ass.

And no, i don't move around a lot, so far. But idk if my future job will need me to move it around a lot. But so far i don't like using laptop anywhere without a table.
>>
Google told me it prevented someone signing into my account. They used the same OS (Windows), same internet browser (Firefox) and were in a town about one hour from me. The time period matches and I did sign into Google from my laptop around then to access my YouTube subscriptions. I authenticated with my phone, etc.

Now I am 99% sure that it was just a fluke, but I wasn't prevented from signing in - so why would Google report it that way?. Did someone really get my password?
>>
>>61268205
I think a more high level language like python or C# would be better for that case. You will want to search for existing libraries for program automation and go with whatever looks to be able to do it the easiest.
>>
>>61267818
Yes actually I think Windows will just force a shut down to avoid damage, so the more minimalist the OS the better, try running cpuburn or playing a 4k video, shouldn't last long to fry.
>>
>>61268552
>But idk if my future job will need me to move it around a lot.
If your job doesn't issue you a work PC then it's not a real job. You pay a premium for an ultrabook's small size, which I find reduces their appeal. List your needs, then buy enough PC for 110-120&% of those needs, no more. The middle of the road is usually the sweet spot for price and performance combined.
>>
File: soap.png (517KB, 2400x1813px) Image search: [Google]
soap.png
517KB, 2400x1813px
what is the best/safest torrent browser to use, specifically for a beginner
>>
>>61268553
Were you using a public WiFi access point? Someone got enough information to try to be you. Think if you did anything else at that time, and change those passwords post haste.
>>
File: 1484005502939.jpg (11KB, 320x231px) Image search: [Google]
1484005502939.jpg
11KB, 320x231px
>>61268655
>torrent browser
>>
File: IMG_20170708_101036.jpg (37KB, 720x653px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_101036.jpg
37KB, 720x653px
How do fix this shit? Pls help /g/
>>
I'm thinking of building my first gaming PC which will be at budget costs. Should I go with an ATX or mATX form factor?
>>
>>61268768
If you will only be gaming, go for mATX or ITX.
The only real advantage you get from having a full ATX motherboard is increased PCI expansion and more sata ports, m.2 slots, usb headers etc, but an mATX or even ITX will have enough of these for any reasonable use anyway.

I have a full ATX system and I use only one of the two m.2 slots, 3 of the 8 sata ports and only 1 of the 4 internal usb headers. I will sidegrade to an ITX system soon and will have the exact same functionality in a shoebox pc.
>>
>>61268768
matx
>>
>>61268655
qbittorrent
make sure you open port
>>
>>61268655
do you mean torrent client?

if that's the case, i would suggest Transmission, qBittorrent, or Deluge.

otherwise, you may be dissapointed to learn that there are no "browsers" for torrents, just websites and trackers that host them
>>
>>61268553
also check the site https://haveibeenpwned.com every three months
>>
>>61268283
update firefox, latest version has multiple process feature
>>
>>61268739
Pls /g/uys
>>
>>61268274
beta has more features and will have bugs. its the next version. after bugs are ironed out you'll get those features in the non beta version
for general use use the non beta version. if you are a webdev have a beta version installed too.
>>
>>61267978
yes including ransonware
>>
>>61268625
But small size is a plus, right ? I mean X1 Carbon is like 14". Also i guess it has strong performance as well ?
>>
>>61268473
You could try using speccy if it's a software issue, or even
sensors
from within linux live USB in the command line. ~90C is too much for idling. You can try removing the sides of your case and just hovering your hand on the CPU to feel if it's too hot or not, that should immediately tell you whether it's a reporting error.

Sorry for obvious question but have you dusted it recently?

And did you build your own pc? What if something is not connected properly? Could the CPU temp spikes be connected to a PU failure?
>>
>>61268552
Is T470 a good catch ?
>>
>>61268911
sorry I'm a bit drunk I didn't see that you said that you used speccy and that you migrated to a new case, which would imply that you removed all your hardware from the old one, and installed them on your new one, duh, manually.
>>
>>61268913
>>61268625
>>
>>61267472
>/g/ essentials windows program
I wonder (((who))) made this
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (505KB, 2357x813px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
505KB, 2357x813px
>>61268911
>>61268973
This is my situation right now, about 3 minutes after another restart.

Temps are consistent between HW monitor, Speccy and even corsair link which I just installed to make sure the pump on my AIO is spinning (it also took the liberty of taking over my AIO's fans and started running them at 100%, thanks corsair).
Also motherboard's temp is through the roof.

I touched the chipset heatsink and it's warmish to the touch, but not hot.
Then I grabbed hold of the cpu cooler's out pipe and it was quite warm to touch, my multi-meter's temp probe says around 40C

PC is completely spotless and was working fine before switching cases
thanks for helping me out
>>
new thread
>>61269427
>>
>>61269127
sorry I can't think of more things, is it possible that you've reconfigured something in the BIOS that causes all this?
>>
>>61265166
Thanks anon, will format today then.
>>
>>61266797
Set up a Kikestarter to fund your amazing idea.
>>
>>61268667
Using my own wifi.
>>61268854
00webhost is the only one and it did not share the same password and was not linked with my google account
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.