[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 40

File: Pirate_Party.jpg (326KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate_Party.jpg
326KB, 1600x1068px
Previous thread: >>61071370

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
>>61076877
Don't be too harsh on me :(
Can you un-meme me? How is Fedora for daily use? I love Debian because of stability and freedom and I am not a fan of rolling releases. However I don't like how the packages get old quickly on stable, and testing and unstable are not very ideal as a fix for that.
I would use Fedora but I have memed myself by reading a lot about how Fedora is actually not focused for regular users and is mostly just focusing on enterprise and development software (is that a RHEL conspiracy or not doesn't matter).
Debian is great because it doesn't seem to "take sides". You can do anything on it. While Fedora is advertised as a professional distro, even on their website.
So is that true? Is Fedora's professional fpcus just a meme?
>>
>>61076994

There is no help for you. You are so deeply engraved into the meme buzzword world, there's no escape.
Hint: the defining features of a distribution are package manager, release schedule and software policy (patching and licenses). Everything else is the same.

I'll just address one of the countless idiocies and misconceptions in your post:
>You can do anything on it. While Fedora is advertised as a professional distro
That's the shit buzz phrase and only idiots falls for it. Hint: you use the same software on both.
>>
Personally I ditched Fedora when networkmanager/firewalld/ update shut me off from my smb network.
>>
>>61076994
>Debian is great because it doesn't seem to "take sides"
Debian does take sides all the time.
>>
>>61077064
>the defining features of a distribution are package manager, release schedule and software policy (patching and licenses)
Well, yeah, that's true. And Fedora seems perfect for me regarding all of those. The package manager is fast and has a lot of packages available, which is great; it has a short release cycle so it's up to date without being rolling release, also perfect; software policy focuses on free software, which I also look for.
So I guess I just have to get all of the other stereotypes out of my head and just try it out.

>>61077108
I mean considering the user groups. It doesn't say it's perfect for x or y user group or whatever. I know that doesn't really matter but still
>>
File: Open Access.png (20KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Open Access.png
20KB, 700x700px
>>61076899
>>
What do you guys think of UNIX-like systems other than GNU/Linux, like BSD or Solaris for instance?
Should I give them a try some time?
>>
you know how in haxxor movies there is always this random code or data dump rolling on the screens in background, is there some loonix command which can do this? And i don't mean shit like ping, some legit haxxor looking stuff
>>
>>61077131
>The package manager is fast
How many hours per day do you spend using the package manager that this actually matters shit?
>>
>>61076994
Debian does take sides, politically anyway, they lean towards the extreme left.

And Fedora is a perfectly usable desktop distribution, you will need to enable RPMFusion or Negativo17 repo's for multimedia applications though.
>>
>>61077212
I'm wondering what people mean with "package manager is fast". Is everyone using the default mirrors?
>>
>>61077200
cmatrix
>>
Okay .. a stupid question.. but it have two network cards in my server, one is connected to my lan and one directly to the internet.

I installed stuff like xrdp and openssh and so on and i need to make sure that they can only be accessed via the lan networdk card. I don't need some pajeet trying to guess my password on the other network card that isn't hidden behind nat

I am using ubuntu
>>
literally no website works properly
wtf i hate linux now
>>
File: TRON_GFX_BR_08 (1).jpg (44KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
TRON_GFX_BR_08 (1).jpg
44KB, 600x338px
>>61077200
The most realistic "hacking" scene ever pulled in the history of movies was probably in Tron Legacy.

The author of the hacking vfx had an article on how and why he put together this scene, but sadly his website went bonkers and I don't think it was ever archieved
>>
>>61077200

Install Hollywood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVMn3xk5mcY
>>
>>61077259
iptables
you can filter packets by interfaces
>>
>>61077259
on the config file for ssh you can specify the network card to use.
>>
>>61077212
Well when I do I like it to finish it as fast as possible. While all of the modern package managers are basically the same, apt sometimes like to hang, especially at "setting up shared-mime-info" or whatever and that's annoying.
But as far as availability is concerned, both .deb and .rpm packages are so widespread you probably won't find something that doesnt have available packages for either.

>>61077247
Are free codecs included? I am on Debian with just main repo activated, and have only the free codecs so everything works pretty much, especially now that mp3 is free.

>>61077273
We have SuperTuxKart, we don't need anything else.
>>
>>61077259
Configure your sshd to only listen on lan or block ssh ports via firewall for the wan interface
>>
>>61077275
Oh, hi, I remember you, you installed debian 9 on VirtualBox yesterday and found only a black screen with gibberish on it.
>>
>>61077247
>Debian does take sides, politically anyway, they lean towards the extreme left.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61077282
What about Mr. Robot, they're somewhat realistic.
>>
>>61077319
but it's true anon, like or not debian is not just a distro.
>>
File: 1471520047754.jpg (50KB, 605x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471520047754.jpg
50KB, 605x400px
>>61077282
Wow, is that Emacs? Proud of you!
>>
>>61077319

I'm waiting for the day when I can shitpost about GNU/Linux without having a poorly researched debate about race and politics with some edgy /pol/ack. ;_;
>>
>>61077307
good observation anon

still dont know what to do with linux. cant even shitpost from cli browsers
>>
>>61077282
There was also a nice one in Dredd (2012) when the hacker dude was using nmap to find the ip of a terminal in the building to locate where a call was coming from.
>>
>>61077324
i had a ok, kinda good first season, then went to shit, not specific about hacking scenes but in general.
>>
>>61077350
Well, use normal GUI browsers then!
>>
File: tumblr_lld7jhemXu1qc5fvk.gif (470KB, 500x227px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lld7jhemXu1qc5fvk.gif
470KB, 500x227px
>>61077343
Actually the bad guys in the movie use Emacs.
The good guys all use vi.
>>
>>61077282
you mean die hard 4.0 wasn't accurate?
>>
>>61077352
Didn't trinity use nmap in one of the first scenes in the matrix?
>>
>>61077366
b-but b-botnet
>>
>>61077247
>Judging software based on the politics of its creators
It's not like they inject subliminal messages to make you gay or accept refugees or something. Why does this even matter? You're not paying for it, you're not giving them analytic date, and you're not supporting them in any tangible way.
>>
>>61077200
Trinity uses nmap in The Matrix.
>>
>>61077367
The media wants to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Emacs.

>>61077378
IceCat then?
>>
>>61077373
"uploading virus" with a progress bar doesn't sound very accurate
>>
>>61077378
Tweak FF or use Iceat.
>>
>>61077200
make desu
>>
>>61077200
find / -exec -lhd '{}' \;
>>
>>61077378
IceCat, qutebrowser, PaleMoon?
>>
>>61077381
it's not about judging software based on politics, but the politics define the general direction of the project
https://www.debian.org/social_contract
>>
>>61077381
I remember one post on /g/ where someone was complaining because of the sjwing happening in the Debian community (e.g. https://www.debian.org/vote/2016/vote_003 )
And one anon replied with "as long as it doesn't tell me to check my privilege every time I boot it, I don't care."
>>
>>61077425
Again, how does this even remotely affect you? Do you feel yourself being mind controlled by the Debian maintainers as you use it? Do you feel some undying urge to go scream at Republican representatives during townhalls when you install a package?

You're not giving them any tangible support. It makes absolutely no difference.
>>
>>61077200
pic related
>>
File: 5282226904_3d84f297f8_o.jpg (137KB, 995x602px) Image search: [Google]
5282226904_3d84f297f8_o.jpg
137KB, 995x602px
>>61077392
Or maybe they just value unix philosophy.

Fuck I just noticed they even bothered to make flynn's terminal i386 since the computer was supposed to be a 20 year old machine
>>
>>61077421
>>61077408
>>61077392

I was meming about botnet. Got nothing to hide. HA! Was playing around with w3m but apparently its literally useless in 2017. What CLI apps should I use and how to stop worrying and start living without a mouse?
>>
>>61077479
>What CLI apps should I use and how to stop worrying and start living without a mouse?
fortune, cowsay
>>
>>61077451
>using uBlock and AdBlock simultaneously
>>
>>61077479
firefox + vimperator
qutebrowser
>>
>>61077458
Fuck I love when movies pay attention to small details like this.
It's shit you will never notice, but when you do, it just makes the whole thing more immersive.

>>61077479
irssi for IRC
ranger file manager is amazing
rtorrent
Mutt or Alpine mail client
>>
Does terminal user have more privileges than GUI user? i can run ifconfig from a ssh console just fine but in gnome i can only run it as sudo, both on the same user
>>
>>61077498
i need to block ads twice anon
>>
>>61077479
tmux or screen for managing multiple terminal sessions.
If you're really serious about CLI-only, you won't even need X11.
>>
>>61077446
I'm not saying that the politics of the Debian project bothers me, what I'm saying is that the decision the projects takes are no only based on technical factors but political ones following their social contract.
>>
>>61077538
Would you like to list the decisions that were affected?

Do you audit every single package on your machine to make sure they don't use a similar contract?
>>
>>61077403
upload-virus(){
for i in {0..100}; do
printf '\rUploading virus ... %d%% ' "$i"
sleep 0.$((RANDOM))
done
printf '\rUploading virus ... done.\n'
}

Enjoy.
>>
>>61077530
Its author advises against this, plus they use the same filters, so you're just wasting time with it. And ABP is not free software.
>>
File: 1492634539864.png (26KB, 904x542px) Image search: [Google]
1492634539864.png
26KB, 904x542px
>>61077458
>that history
You just fucking know they made it for You and noone else, because no drooling normie that brought them the bulk of the money for this movie ever batted an eye.
>>
>>61077581
Maybe it was one of us doing his job well instead of doing what he's expected to do.
>>
>>61077446
It effects the quality of the software since some very highly skilled developers are deterred/prevented from contributing because of the social contract. Same thing happened with FreeBSD.

I have no political preference and it doesn't bother me what their views are, what bothers me is when those views (no matter which side) effect the quality of the distribution.
>>
>>61077579
>for; do
>done
wew that's some ugly syntax
>>
>>61077615
>It effects the quality of the software since some very highly skilled developers are deterred/prevented from contributing because of the social contract
Substantiate your claim.
>>
>>61077629
For newfriends like you.
>>
>>61077561
Devuan has a 'no code of conduct' to prevent issues like this, they simply focus on the quality of their software and hire people/accept contributions based on the quality of the software and not political ideologies.
>>
>>61077561
the obvious one is the fact that by default Debian does not have non-free software, that's a political decision.
you are acting like the Debian developers are robots that do not act based on what they believe.
>>
>>61077654
>not having nonfree software is problematic
>>
>>61077642
Is it ruby? I've actually been tempted to pick it up (or at least another scripting language) but not sure it's worth it.
>>
>>61077629
It would have been better if not for the program "od" (octal dump), which predates the posix shell. If not for it, we would've gotten:
if ... fi
do ... od
case ... esac
>>
>>61077650
Doesn't answer anything in the post.
>>61077654
>the obvious one is the fact that by default Debian does not have non-free software
So you want to use proprietary software? Where do you think you are? It's not like they prevent you from using non-free software, they simply don't ship it as a default.
>>
>>61077654
>Debian does not have non-free software
What is the non-free repo?

The fact that it has non-free software is the only reason keeping it from being recommended by the FSF!
>>
>>61077679
That's a shell script function.
>>
>>61077496
>fortune, cowsay
useless
>>61077500
>firefox + vimperator
how difficult is it for someone who has never used Vim?
>>61077507
>ranger file manager is amazing
>rtorrent
no one email me. will try ranger and rtorrent
I currently have around 400 torrents in qbittorrent. is it a good idea to manage that many torrents in cli? I open the files from qbittorrent mostly.
>>61077534
not going to be too strict with cli at the moment
>>
>>61077699
Huh looks different to what I've seen of shell scripting (mostly bash).
>>
Is there some simple comand which will install drivers for my gpu, sound card and such on ubuntu? When i click on non free software tab in unity it says that update failed or something so i need to do it via command line
>>
>>61077705
>useless
subjective
>>
>>61077698
Not activated by default
>>
>>61077705
>I currently have around 400 torrents in qbittorrent. is it a good idea to manage that many torrents in cli? I open the files from qbittorrent mostly.
No. Unless you're gonna set it up with ruTorrent or some other web UI, it's almost impossible to manage that number of torrents using rtorrent from the CLI. You can't even sort the torrents or search for them.
>>
>>61077629
I actually prefer it that way.
For comparsion:
upload-virus(){
for i in {0..100}; do
sleep 0.$((RANDOM))
done
}

Looks better than:

upload-virus(){
for i in {0..100}
do
sleep 0.$((RANDOM))
done
}
>>
>>61077507
Ranger vs MC
What and why?
>>
>>61077723
Download driver from vendor
>>
>>61077676
>>61077688
who said it was problematic?
I'll say it again, the politics of the Debian project does not bothers me, the software is made by people and people act based on what they believe (politics) unless your software is made by apolitical robots, it's affected by politics.
saying "politics don't matter, only software" is ignoring the fact the people who made that software are political.
>>
>>61077743
vifm because special snowflake
>>
>>61077740
Welp. Into the trash it goes then.
>>
>>61077709
Which just means you haven't seen shit yet
>>
>>61077741
Let me guess, you also prefer
for (i = 0; i < n; ++i)
{
do_stuff(i);
}

instead of
for (i = 0; i < n; ++i) {
do_stuff(i);
}
>>
>>61077781
You don't have any other sensible options when it comes to torrents.
If all you're gonna do is add torrents and let them download and seed, it's certainly usable.
>>
>>61077785
No, why? That would be contra to my comparsion.
>>
>>61077752
i don't know how to install from a file on linux as it is very complicated, the files usually come in something like tar.gz and such and have to be compiled and i have no idea how to do that, on windows i just double click it but on linux it it way too complicated so i am stuck only using things available via repos
>>
>>61077819
Forgive my ignorance. I misunderstood your post completely.
>>
>>61077828
sound card driver?
on most distros the only drivers that are not included by default are non-free, which the only common ones are for some wifi chipsets, and gpu's.
which distro are you using? it probably has a package for your driver.
>>
>>61077828
tar xvzf bullshit.tar.gz && ./configure && make && make install
>>
>>61077319
>A Study of 4chan’s Politically Incorrect Forum and Its Effects on the Web
https://aaai.org/ocs/index.php/ICWSM/ICWSM17/paper/view/15670/14790
>>
>>61077761
I do not think that their political ideologies effects the software directly, more so it effects who can contribute to Debian. Their code of conduct alienates a lot of good developers who would bring nothing but quality software to the distribution.

This happened with FreeBSD and 'FreeBSDGirl' or whatever her name was who drove away one of the core (and very highly skilled) developers because of her strong political views. If you have ever been on the Debian mailing lists you will see situations like this occur quite often.

There was one occasion where one of the maintainers for Krita took offence to a few lines of code in the software and demanded that they be removed by upstream.
>>
>>61077810
>>61077874
*which gpu I mean, not distro.
>>
>>61077324
Can't opinionate, gave up after the 1st season.
What I can say it was a completely different pair of shoes.
Mr. Robot IS about hacking/cracking among other things, Tron franchise - not really.
It's hard to make the work of a cracker/hacker interesting enough to put in on the screen, so even in a semi-educated about the topic show like Mr. Robot you get glimpses of the usual hollywood approach of two people in front of computers frantically trying to outtype each other with sweaty forehead.
But look at the screenshot. Hacking was - open a shell session (in Emacs for extra points), grep a process, kill a process, hacking finished.
>>
>>61077878
You forgot
cd bullshit
>>
>>61077828
.tar.gz is an archive like .zip or .rar. in distros that aren't made by autistic tampon suckers you can just right click and see "extract here". If not, open terminal in that directory and type tar zxvf <filename>.tar.gz

if it complains about "format" remove the "z" from zxvf

To compile from source on linux, you typically run these commands in this order:

./configure (if there is a file called configure in the folder)
make
sudo make install

To get "make" to work, type this in terminal:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

if you want anon, post what device you need a a driver for and we will link you the driver, or if u can find it yourself just post a screenshot of what you downloaded and we'll go from there
>>
>>61077906
>open a shell session (in Emacs for extra points), grep a process, kill a process, hacking finished.
As true hacker I'd just use pkill.
>>
>>61077933
To be a little padantic, .tar is the archive, and .gz is the compression.
>>
>>61077938
As true hacker I'd cause a stack overflow crashing a different process inclusive its parent process (the target) with a poisoned shell redirection to proc.
>>
>>61077938
How on earth are you going to pkill if you don't know the name of the process?
>>
>>61077888
but the reverse is true, the lack of a code of conduct can alienate good developers too, an example of this is Theo from OpenBSD, which, unlike Linus being a dick meme, is objectively a dick and that put off potential contributors.
>>
>>61077959
being padantic is fine, ty for the info anon, i will google this and understand it
>>
>>61077980
pkill kills processes by process name or command line
>>
>>61077933
>if it complains about "format" remove the "z" from zxvf
The command you type depends on what type the archive is:
.tar.gz or .tgz -> tar xzf
.tar.bz2 -> tar xjf
.tar.xz -> tar xJf
.tar.Z -> tar xZf
(you can add v before f (for "verbose") to see the files extracted).
>>
>>61077962
As a true hacker I'd try to boot up my Arch machine and get angry because X is broken.
>>
>>61077995
I usually just use killall and let God sort them out.
>>
>>61077992
pkill is not really safe, for example, consider this: (true story, btw)
You have tor running, and you want to kill it, so you do
pkill tor

But wait... You forgot that you also have rtorrent, and terminator (both have "tor" in their name) running too, so pkill kills them too.
At least do pgrep before.
>>
>>61077352
>>61077906
>>61077938
>>61077962
>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
>>
>>61077991
That's true, it may put them off but it doesn't completely barr them from contributing.
>>
>>61078016
ty for this tar 101 anon
>>
>>61078050
Thought pkill was for pids? I always use killall for named processes.
>>
>>61078016
>xzf
>xjf
>xJf
>xZf
Do you even GNU tar. tar xf <file> is enough.
>>
>>61078090

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes

SYNOPSIS
pgrep [options] pattern
pkill [options] pattern

DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which match the selection criteria to stdout. All the criteria have to match.
For example,

$ pgrep -u root sshd

will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand,

$ pgrep -u root,daemon

will list the processes owned by root OR daemon.

pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout.
>>
>>61078104
just tested this, pure magic
xkcd meme on suicide watch
>>
>>61077200
bb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukhOAUseKY
>>
>>61078131
I never understood that xkcd. How can you not know even a single tar command?
At least, if you're retarded, type tar --help
>>
>>61078131
Guess who's also on suicide watch.
$ busybox tar xf foo.tar.gz 
tar: short read
>>
>>61078104
Those work based on the extention IIRC, they don't work for situations like
xz -cd file.tar.xz | tar -xf -
>>
>>61078180
Excuse me, that works, what doesn't is
cat file.tar.xz | tar -xf -
>>
>>61078131
>>61078157
>tfw can never write a tar command without checking the manpage/my shell history and in fact was about to post that xkcd
>>
>>61078205
>>61078180
Can reproduce. Thanks for pointing that out.
>>
File: 1477251739395.jpg (60KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1477251739395.jpg
60KB, 499x499px
>>61078221
curl cheat.sh/tar
>>
>>61078157
Well, I guess a bomb which needs a valid tar command doesn't have to have a shell running.
>>
>>61077705
>how difficult is it for someone who has never used Vim?
a lot easier than using vim, ranger too uses "vim bindings" but its not like you have to worry about regex or editing files
won't help you one bit if you get used to vimperator before learning vim
besides getting used to :<command>, and simple navigation like hjkl, gg, G, gt, gT...
>>
I have an old Intel SSD, would I benefit from moving browser cache into a tmpfs?
>>
>>61078432
not at all
>>
>>61078432
It depends on your use case really, if you do data intensive browsing then yeah that would be a good idea. If you just browse this place, Reddit etc then you probably won't need to.
>>
File: for you.png (27KB, 713x229px) Image search: [Google]
for you.png
27KB, 713x229px
>>61078157
>>
>>61078498
Easy
tar czf foo.tar.gz foo
>>
>>61077705
>useless
I dare you, do not insult fortune or cowsay again.
>>
>>61078569
couldn't life without a fortune when opening a new terminal tbvh
>>
>>61078569
whats so good aboot it?
>>
>>61078498
>not replacing "googleing" with "searching the web with a webengine which respects your freedoms"
>>
>>61078617
It's a meme you dip.

>>61078605
It makes you smile.
>>
>>61078617
rather than saying "google it", I prefer to say, "do a websearch".
>>
File: scrot.png (509B, 285x94px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
509B, 285x94px
>>61078712
Just say "search". People wount start searching for a vim tutorial under the bed.
>>
>>61078498
I always just used -xzf without understand why it works or what it's doing but I decided to find out.
>x means you want to extract the file
>z means it's a gzip format file
>f means you're extracting from a digital file and not a tape drive
I wonder why the program itself can't figure this stuff out, but that's probably why p7zip exists.
>>
>>61078758
xtract zeh file
>>
>>61078758
>I wonder why the program itself can't figure this stuff out
It can, tho not for pipes.
>>
not a meme!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Relationship_with_Fedora
>>
>>61078810
what exactly am I supposed to interpret from this article?
>>
File: 1474224822506.jpg (217KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1474224822506.jpg
217KB, 1600x1067px
TIL finger pointing stallman means he's busy auctioning his stuffy gnu
>>
A while back(like maybe a month at this point) my sound started cutting out randomly and wouldn't come back until I closed the screen or something similar. That's now stopped working.
The specifics:
>X201T
>Lasts for about five minutes of watching a video
>may be tied to temps, but indeterminate because
>Seems to work fine under Windows 7
>all audio cuts out, even hardware beeps
>hardware beeps don't seem to start a timer that counts down the five minutes
>hardware beeps sound weird
>running Arch, reasonably up to date
>have not booted another linux distro to test
/tpg/ thinks it isn't a hardware issue. Any ideas?
>>
The hell is this thing? >>61077182
>>
>>61079060
a dentist's light
>>
File: 1497256363399.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497256363399.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
So when mounting a drive via FSTAB, I need to take ownership of it everytime. Is there a way around this? Or is it just the name of the game when it comes to Linux Administration?
>>
>>61079089
Is it external drive? Which file system?
>>
>>61079089
and note I just need to do it once, I'm not struggling with it on a regular basis.
>>
>>61079053
disregard, appears to be a hardware issue. audio just cut out under w7.
man this thing is beat to hell.
>>
>>61079104
NTFS , mounted in /media/*

I thing I had a similar thing with my EXT4 partition I mounted there as well. It mounts as rw
>>
>>61079089
/dev/sdc1 /media/ext ntfs-3g uid=youruser 0 2
>>
>>61079089
https://askubuntu.com/a/113746
>>
File: 1485855414232.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1485855414232.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>61078772
>>
Give me a small little project to work on guys. I just installed Ubuntu last week, and was able to configure it to my liking via terminal (changing res and freq, installing streamlink/livestreamer, screwing with themes, basic stuff like that). What's a good next step to take in understanding Linux?
>>
>>61079089
If it's NTFS or FAT, add uid=<youruid>,gid=<yourgid> to the mount options.
Note: use the id command to find your uid and gid.
>>
>>61079293
Set up a GLAMP stack. (GNU/Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
>>
File: 4k smile.jpg (419KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
4k smile.jpg
419KB, 3840x2160px
Don't mind me, I'm just using openSUSE Tumbleweed.
>>
>>61079354
OpenSUSE is nice.
YaST is a powerful tool.
And Tumbleweed is probably the best rolling release distro out there, because the packages are stable but still get released pretty damn often, sometimes even before Arch.

So, I am the Fedora memeing guy from earlier, and I am typing this out from my fresh Fedora install. This distro is incredibly comfy. Haven't used GNOME in a while and I kinda like it.
>>
>>61079293
Set up SSH and try to connect to it with your phone or another PC. This will teach you how remote shells work.
>>
>>61079086
>>61079060

saved
>>
>>61079148
>>61079171
>>61079327
Answers part of my questions, it indeed sets me as an owner.

However, I still can't write to the disk. I have fstab set up exactly the same way I've set up my previous ones I've chowned, so maybe I'm short something?

UUID=865AD7565AD7421B                     /media/Windows ntfs-3g uid=1000,gid=1000,defaults 0 2 

Any advice? It's not mounted in Windows or anything as far as I can tell
>>
>>61079354
>p-p-please p-pay attention to my new f-flavour of the m-month

yast is probably the slowest piece of shit I've ever had the dubious pleasure to use.
>>
File: 1493016996691.jpg (229KB, 1349x902px) Image search: [Google]
1493016996691.jpg
229KB, 1349x902px
>>61079339
>GLAMP
>>
>>61079457
Alright, you need to set umask, fmask, and dmask.
A good default would be:
umask=133,fmask=133,dmask=022
This sets file permissions on that disk as -rw-r--r-- (644), and directories as drwx-r-xr-x (755).
Good luck.

>>61079472
Yes. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#LAMP
>>
Anyone here uses thinkfan?
how can I edit my thinkfan.conf so that it starts spinning at 60C instead of 50C?
Specifically, where should I put the "60"?
>>
>>61079457
>>61079529
Also, you need to put
defaults
first in the options, because otherwise, it would overwrite previous options.

Further reading:
$ man mount
$ man ntfs-3g
>>
>>61079339
>Apache over Nginx
>MySQL over Postgres
>>
Hey /fglt/,
I recently installed Fedora 25 on my Thinkpad. After an update and a restart, grub is no longer working. I've found some people with the same issue and am having trouble fixing it. There is a bug report for it https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1298127 but nobody has seemed to try to fix this bug it since it was posted. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>61079339
> Oracle MySQL
Oracle is the literal devil, use mariadb at least.
>>
>>61079607
chroot into your fedora installation from a liveCD or a liveUSB or whatever, and then reinstall grub.

>>61079593
>>61079622
It was just a suggestion, I don't really use web technologies myself. I only ever used Apache, and it wasn't bad.
>>
>>61079607
>https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1298127
weird, I installed fedora yesterday on a efi laptop.
search how to use grub rescue and try booting from there.
also, are you dual booting? with efi you can boot directly to linux (without grub) so you could try that.
>>
File: 2017-06-25-221739_106x28_scrot.png (941B, 106x28px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-25-221739_106x28_scrot.png
941B, 106x28px
>>61079607
Waiting for the "it just werks guys totally not a testbed XD" guy
>>
>>61079641
apache is not bad, but the config files of nginx are so much simpler.
>>
>>61079663
Testbed for what? RHEGL?
>>
>>61079663
Already here senpai
>>
>>61079641
I'll probably try this next.

>>61079653
Not dual booting. I installed Fedora 25 using the automatic partitioning, which wipes everything, installs grub, and installs Fedora.
>>
>>61079607
Shiet I just installed Fedora 25 too
I did all the updates but it boots just fine for me.
How is it not working, do you get to some sort of a console or is it just a black screen or what?
>>
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html
>>
>>61079707
All I get is
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported
grub>
>>
>>61079529
>>61079561
Hmm, no dice. Still not in a writeable state. Even double checked to make sure Wangblows wasn't doing the read only bullshit (Which it was), but disabling it has no effect.

Any ideas? uid and gid are both correct
>>
>>61079728
I managed to fuck my GRUB on Arch once and had the same thing.
There is a way to manually boot the kernel with that grub shell

Check this out
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue-non-booting-grub-2-linux
>>
What to heck
Why is Redshift not working on Fedora 25
And Night Light is not coming until 26 ;-;
My eyes are burning
>>
>>61079700
I used auto partitioning for 24 and it kept my windows partition. I actually tried manual partitioning prior to that and fucked up the boot directory. So I just booked the live CD again and restarted. Stupidly didn't change the 50gb root dir it gave me though.
>>
>>61079733
Unmount it, then mount with this command:
mount -t ntfs-3g -o 'defaults,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=000,fmask=000,dmask=000' /dev/sdx /media/anon/foo

Replace /dev/sdx and /media/anon/foo with actual values.
If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.
>>
>>61079797
Doesn't work with Wayland I believe.
>>
>>61079806
Thinking back, I may have checked the clean-up option. Either way, it was a single boot Fedora 25 installation. Nothing fancy.
>>
>>61079822
Is there an alternative? I have been using blue light filters for years, it feels weird staring at a nonfiltered screen at night now
>>
>>61079797
>redshift
b l o a t

http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
>>
>>61079844
Wait a couple of weeks for 26
>>
>>61079808
Nevermind I figured it out thank you anon.

I checked the ntfs-3g documentation and apparently there was something else in Windows I needed to find and disable. running "powercfg /h off" did the trick. Microsoft really went out of their damn way this time to fuck dual booters like that's going to make me want to keep using Windows even more.

Thank you very much for your help!
>>
>>61079844
Try setting the "warm" colors directly in your monitor if possible.
>>
>>61079859
a u t o m a t i c s m o o t h t r a n s i t i o n
>>
>>61079922
j u s t m a k e a c r o n s c r i p t
>>
>>61079879
oh yes, windows 8 > don't actually power off when you shutdown, but hibernate.
>>
>>61079929
you are going to make an script that will reliably and smoothly transition the color temp based of time and date just to not install an utility that you don't even have to install the gui version?
ok.
>>
>>61079929
>>61079922
w h y ឴ a r e ឴ y o u ឴ d o i n g ឴ t h i s ?

>>61079859
Where's the source of that “80-line all inclusive” C program sct?
>>
>>61079975
Yeah, what's bloated about redshift is redshift-gtk, not redshift itself.
>>
File: 2017-06-25-224038_529x433_scrot.png (41KB, 529x433px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-25-224038_529x433_scrot.png
41KB, 529x433px
>>61079989
>>
>>61080067
Thank you for taking the time to screen shot and add arrows to point me to what I was too stupid to see.
>>
>>61080083
No problem my dear friend
>>
File: Screenshot_20170625_224656.png (9KB, 664x203px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170625_224656.png
9KB, 664x203px
>>61079339
>metapackage doesn't exist, but LAMP does
>>
>>61080122
>New sign in from Chrome on Linux
>Linux
>Not GNU/Linux
I fucking hate Google.
>>
who's using flatpk/snaps?
>>
>>61080144
i'm more surprised they didn't say 'Android'
>>
>>61080157
a poor man's Nix
>>
>>61079822
>>61079862

Found a bandaid fix
Just switched to the Xorg session

So, what even is the difference between the default Wayland and Xorg sessions on GNOME 3?
Don't really care for the technical stuff, I just wanna know if I am suffering some feature loss because I don't notice anything yet.
>>
>>61080144
>>61080166
>New sign in from Chrome on Chrome OS
>>
File: Screenshot_20170625_155905.png (1MB, 768x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170625_155905.png
1MB, 768x1366px
its possible to have a secondary wallpaper for portrait on KDE? so i dont end with zoomed wallpaper like this?

also theres better support for touch that is not the use touchscreen as mouse? toucheeg aint that good.
>>
>>61080265
it's not a bandaid fix, redshift do not work on wayland because some fundamental difference in the way wayland works compared to xorg. if you want to use redshfit on wayland yo have to use th equivalent made by gnome, whtvr is called.

right now you don't lose anything by user xorg.
>>
>>61080308
Well there is a built in bluelight filter on the new GNOME that's gonna be in Fedora 26, which comes out soon so I am not worried.
So I am just gonna stay on Xorg then
>>
File: Screenshot_20170625_230135.png (757KB, 900x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170625_230135.png
757KB, 900x1440px
>>61080288
>its possible to have a secondary wallpaper for portrait on KDE?
yes, open desktop settings on the screen you want to configure

>so i dont end with zoomed wallpaper like this?
make wallpapers the right aspect and use "keep proportions"
>>
File: 1470514294395.png (32KB, 675x603px) Image search: [Google]
1470514294395.png
32KB, 675x603px
>>61080122
>>
File: exte.png (894KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
exte.png
894KB, 1440x900px
What are some essential GNOME extensions?

This is all I got now.
>>
>>61080374
you need to censor that qr code bruh
>>
>>61080360
mhh, no the thing is, i meant a secondary wallpaper when the screen rotated to portrait.

like having my regular landscape wallpaper and then when the screen rotated to portrait switched to portrait panel
>>
>>61076899
RMS is a good man
>>
>>61080403
>portrait panel

jesus, i meant portrait wallpaper, i need some sleep
>>
>>61080403
You want your wallpaper to readjust when you rotate the screen?
write a simple bash script to check and run.
>>
File: 1475029309877.png (418B, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
1475029309877.png
418B, 528x528px
>>61080400
This? I don't think so.
>>
>>61080375
That's about it, afaik.
>>
>>61079770
>uironically linking to linux.com
>>
>>61079859
Rate this.
blueshift() {
xcalib -c

test "${#}" -lt 2 && return 1

shift="${1}"
gamma="${2}"

xcalib -a \
-gc "${gamma}" \
-blue 1 1 "${shift}" \
-green 1 1 "$((100-(100-shift)/2))"
}

Example usage: blueshift 75 1.2
>>
File: 2017-06-25-234918_729x75_scrot.png (8KB, 729x75px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-25-234918_729x75_scrot.png
8KB, 729x75px
>>61080889
very nice.

Did you send the postcard to the author of xcalib though?
>>
>>61080889
You should print usage when wrong arguments are provided, not just bail.
Using curly braces around variables when you don't need to is yuck.
Don't you need to use $shift in the math expression at the end?
>>
>>61080992
lmao
>>
>>61081002
>1
It's just a function I was personally hacking around with so no help message.
>2
I call it a good habit.
>3
You don't. Try
n=3;echo $((3*n))
>>
>>61081003
>lmao
d-does this mean no postcard? ;_;
>>
>>61077168
OpenBSD is good. Solaris is proprietary and dead, don't bother with it.

You will notice on OpenBSD that a lot of defaults are more barren. I mainly use Arch, but things like the default vim config are less configured even. On the flip side, OpenBSD actually comes with tmux, it's in what they call "base" so you don't even have to install it. I thought that was cool. It comes with ksh instead of bash, and doas instead of sudo, so a lot of things are harder to get used to, but it seems like a good OS. I've been meaning to spend more time with it myself.
>>
>>61081137
which one is the libre bsd, openbsd or freebsd?
>>
>>61081137
Thanks for your answer, anon.
>>
File: 1498361590826 (copy).jpg (385KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498361590826 (copy).jpg
385KB, 1920x1080px
>cinnamon
How does anyone use this sluggishly slow shit?
>>
>>61081160
what do you mean by libre?
licensing-wise both are the same, BSD license.
>>
>>61077723
sudo apt install nvidia
>>
TIL: Want to check something without loosing what you already have typed?
1. ctrl+u (cut)
2. ping nsa.gov
3. ctrl+y (paste)
>>
>>61081160
bsd people refuse to accept the concept of "libre".
Their idea of freedom is anarchist, contribute if you want, if you don't care just take the software and get the fuck out.

If you look for quality openBSD is probably the better choice here, they're really autistic about it.
>>
>>61081236
ctl-a ctl-k
ping nsa
ctl-y
>>
>>61079426
This. Throw in tmux while you're at it.
>>
>>61081236
wew lad, just read the whole book, son.
man readline
>>
>>61081262
openBSD people can be autistic to the point of impracticality.
>>
>>61081273
Thanks dad
>>
>>61081287
I'd say that's a fair assurance of quality.
>>
Anyone knowledgeable on vim?

When I use :edit <file> to create a new file, it fails if the directory the file is in doesn't already exist. Is there any way to force it to create that directory automatically without resorting to calling mkdir first then creating the new file?
>>
>>61081264
Thats better, ty
>>
>>61081321
Oh, maybe I should add, it creates the buffer just fine, it fails when I attempt to write the buffer to disk.
>>
>>61076899
how can I set a definitive keyboard layout on the i3 config file? everytime I log in it changes back again.x
>>
Does parabola use systemd?
Also is there distro that is FSF approved but does not use systemd? Ututo XS seems to be the only one by now.
>>
>>61081640
Systems is free software, why would you think fsf approved distros would use an older init system?
>>
>>61081640
Devuan is a free distro.
>>
which distro should i use?

this is gonna be on my laptop i mainly use for devshit(gonna be a senior cs major). also do web surfing and streaming

i want something lightweight and not too difficult desu. i'd take more lightweight and difficult over the opposite tho

pls help
>>
>>61081321
>>61081354
I'm pretty sure there's a way, but I'm no a vim ninja.
I know it can run terminal commands and I also know you can rebind shit, so it should be possible to rebind :w to first run a command like "mkdir -p" (which won't error out if the directory exists and will create any and all subdirectories specified) then save the file.
Of course it'll run that every time you save a file (which shouldn't really matter), of you could just bind it to something else to avoid that.
>>
>>61081704
>>61081717
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
I only go by this website. If the distro is not on the list then it's not free as in freedom for me and it contains proprietary/nonfree software somewhere
>implying 4chan and googles captcha isn't proprietary
>>
>>61081761
Fedora with XFCE or Xubuntu.
>>
>>61081373
Maybe just use setxkbmap?
>>
>>61081847
can i rice those out
>>
>>61081827
>look at me ma' hands free retardation XD
the most recent version of blag is based on fedora 14. Fedora 14 went EOL 6 years ago.

Devuan is a free GNU/Linux distribution that doesn't come with systemd.
>>
>>61081827
Debian and Fedora are excluded for stupid reasons.
Debian is 100% free but they are not on the list because you can enable a non-free repo which is not there by default.
Fedora is not on the list because it provides you with some propertiary firmware. Other than that it's 100% free as well.
>>
>>61081859
yup, just got it

exec "setxkbmap -model thinkpad60 -layout br"

had never messed with i3 config. thanks
>>
>>61081868
XFCE is pretty customizable
But if you wanna be a master ricer go for Arch, you will get the bare minimum and you can just install a WM and customize it however you want.
>>
>>61081898
is arch as intimidating as it seems

also do i need a usb with gparted or can i partition with a bootable arch install on a usb
>>
>>61081898
>>61081868
bullshit, you can rice xubuntu just like arch.
dont fall for the meme.
>>
>>61081878
>Fedora is not on the list because it provides you with some propertiary firmware. Other than that it's 100% free as well.
It provides all the proprietary firmware modules that can be shipped alongside the Linux kernel.

Debian/Devuan is 100% free because installing non-free firmware requires deliberate action from the user (not only passing and "install command" but adding the proprietary repository to the list of sources).
Fedora was never free and their "free software only" rule is dictated more by the fear of being sued by some cocksuckers and muh US patent law rather than pretending to be Stallman's acolytes.

However FSF rules are what they are. It's up to you to decide which option suits you more.
>>
>>61081871
>>61081878
Okay, got it. Devuan has been my #1 choice for a while since I started with ubuntu so it should be a bit familiar (dpkg package manager etc.)
Anyway thanks for the help.
As for now, I keep my ubuntu machines as my previous "windows" machines which I am comfortable using one. My gentoo machine is a total project so I need my noobuntu machines to troubleshoot. I just fucking can't get this pcmcia to work.
>>
>>61081898
>Arch
>bare minimum
what fresh new meme is this
>>
File: Y M C A.jpg (44KB, 636x359px) Image search: [Google]
Y M C A.jpg
44KB, 636x359px
>>61081968
>pcmcia
>>
How the hell do I deal with overheating on a laptop? I have already tried different setups with TLP, thermald and Bumblebee and it still reaches temperatures like 70-80°C just using Firefox. Honestly, this is the main reason I still haven't made the switch from Windows. Does anyone have a solution?
>>
>>61082019
>>61082009
so guys
what use?
>>
File: forever_alone.webm (260KB, 760x515px) Image search: [Google]
forever_alone.webm
260KB, 760x515px
Just found this really cool space war game in the debian repos "matanza". You run it and players can conntect to it via telnet on localhost. The ascii art is amazing.
>>
>>61082064
That missile moves from the wing to the center before firing.
>>
>>61080405
He is a commie bird fucking, toe jam eating pedophile
>>
File: 1497499193641.jpg (621KB, 1000x767px) Image search: [Google]
1497499193641.jpg
621KB, 1000x767px
>>61082142
>>
>>61082153
Check out his blog entries relating .
Its on his own hosted website
Cant beat that can ya?
>>
File: asciijump.webm (405KB, 609x288px) Image search: [Google]
asciijump.webm
405KB, 609x288px
>>
>>61082410
auch.
>>
>>61081287
>Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!
>>
wtf i want to install Fedora now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeWg11ZBn0
>>
>>61082948
Nobody wants to install Fedora.
>>
>>61081137
WTF I want to install OpenBSD now!
They're the ones who made OpenSSH.
>>
>>61083060
Nobody wants to install OpenBSD.
>>
>>61083072
I really do.
>>
>>61082948
couldn't get this to work when i tried back when i first got ryzen.
i'll give it a shot again sometime soon.
>>
File: 1458017337832.jpg (100KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458017337832.jpg
100KB, 500x720px
>>61083127
I love the idea of GPU passthrough, but I like to use emulators and placebo mpv on Linux. Buying yet another GPU really turns me off.
His talk about SR-IOV got me really pumped, but I doubt it's coming to consumers anytime soon.
>>
>>61083197
have a rx 480, 1070, and some older geforce i got for free thanks to rebates.
but kinda cheaped out/couldn't get a taichi in stock so i'm stuck with a lower tier mobo.
GPU passthrough seems really cool though, already do most of my shit on loonix as it stands.
>>
>>61081236
Do you just randomly ping the NSA while in the middle of typing commands?
>>
>>61083568
gotta disorient em
>>
>>61083197
GNU/Linux*
>>61083228
Gahnoo/Loonix*
>>
File: 1473755091951.jpg (47KB, 480x534px) Image search: [Google]
1473755091951.jpg
47KB, 480x534px
>>61083853
"Gahnoo"?
>>
>>61083853
Fuck off RMS, go back to your HURD.
>>
>>61083904
Better than just Loonix.
>>61083906
Jokes on you, I'm not really Richard Stallman.
>>
>>61082505
what did he mean by thi
>>
File: hurd_u_takin_shit_bout_gnu.jpg (170KB, 1080x1471px) Image search: [Google]
hurd_u_takin_shit_bout_gnu.jpg
170KB, 1080x1471px
>>61083906
God damn it RMS. Always with the red T-shirt and autistic cargo pants.
>>
File: 1469443896152.jpg (31KB, 294x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469443896152.jpg
31KB, 294x400px
>>61083906
We would like credit for the GNU operating system no matter which kernel is used with it.

Making the GNU Hurd work well enough to compete with Linux would be a big job, and it's not clearly necessary. The only thing ethically wrong with Linux as a kernel is its inclusion of firmware “blobs”; the best fix for that problem is developing free replacement for the blobs. http://fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects
>>
>>61084114
Is this a big knife?
>>
How long do you think we'll be until Solus officially supports KDE. I want to use it but there's some KDE programs I can't do without. Namely KDE connect which they don't even offer as an unofficial package. The lack of certain packages is the only thing keeping me from using Solus.
>>
if i install a distro alongside windows does that mean its installed on same partiton?
>>
>>61084717
No, that kills the windows.
>>
File: t460keyboard.jpg (43KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
t460keyboard.jpg
43KB, 775x500px
any archfags know how to get my media keys working?
top row in pic related. They work out of the box with KDE, XFCE and Gnome, but I'm dealing with a fresh install + i3wm
>>
>>61085190
um wiki?
>>
>>61085190
Arch is for advanced users only. If you can't solve such a simple problem, you should start over with Ubuntu.
>>
File: 1497192558797.png (24KB, 657x525px) Image search: [Google]
1497192558797.png
24KB, 657x525px
Does Xfwm still have huge screen-tearing issues (particularly on UHD)?
>>
>>61085319
The specifically said that the problem was with i3. Get your shitposting in order buddy. We don't accept that kind of sloppyness round here.
>>
File: CANTWAKEUP.png (117KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
CANTWAKEUP.png
117KB, 290x290px
>>61083060
>using OpenSSH instead of LSH
>>
>>61085303
>>61085319

I know it's probably a matter of setting some keybindings / kernel parameters. Because it works by default with those other DEs, I thought maybe someone would know what they are packaged with that makes it so. It seems to me as though that would be a cleaner solution.
>>
>run arch in my ram
>uses full lan speed of 100 megabytes/s
>install it to a flash drive while waiting for my ssd to come in
>everything is 10 megabytes/s

is it because of paging? sftp and ftp and samba and everything is 10 megabytes now while in recent memory it was just 100mb/s the other day when I was running off a live usb
>>
>>61085433
>run arch
Found your problem.
>>
>>61085407
Lol, none of the encrytion option mentioned in the online manual for that are supported by my current config. It does use libnettle though so presumably it could if the maintainer could be fucked or the three other users of the mailing list pushed for it.

If anyone wants to use LSH they should be prepared to audit it themselves because there are many people using it and there are probably unfonud security issues throughout it.
>>
>>61085433
Try writing to /dev/null or a tmpfs to check. Also ensure you are not mixing MB/s and mbps.
>>
>>61085525
doing some research and it appears that the server is being set to 100 T duplex or something and is not "advertising" its full speed. Have no idea what this means but I have to set it higher somehow
>>
New thread:
>>61085554
>>61085554
>>61085554
>>
>>61085551
Maybe look into ethtool, unless rate setting is supported by ip link these days too.
>>
>>61085576
I'm in the new thread but ethtool seems to confirm to me that is is not advertising the 1000baseT connection
>>
Is there a way to read a PDF file from the CLI?
I would like to read some of my books in my workplace from Putty
>>
>>61085762
Try less.
>>
File: 1497844614364.jpg (76KB, 736x614px) Image search: [Google]
1497844614364.jpg
76KB, 736x614px
>>61085770
Yeah, i just realized that the file i was trying to read was just a bunch of images in a pdf stack.
Tried again with a proper PDF file and it is working flawlessly.
ty senpai
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.