[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on helpdesk jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1496242937341.png (138KB, 554x314px) Image search: [Google]
1496242937341.png
138KB, 554x314px
Redpill me on helpdesk jobs
>>
>>60983335
>Redpill
You specifically will be trapped in one forever.
>>
>>60983335
Define helpdesk for me.
I do "IT" at a small company. Which amounts to: doing nothing until someone bitches something isn't working.
The old IT guy was a drunk and asocial. So people are happy with me.

Help desk like a call centre? I'd stab myself within ten seconds.

I'd look for a job where you can actively move around. I usually have one or two places I can go to to "check" things. Which lets me get some activity away from a desk and keeps people from bitching at me.
>>
>>60983335
If you are good at socializing and have a good touch on problem solving you will be fine...
>>
>>60983335
You will deal with retards every single day and grow to hate people more and more when you realize how fucking stupid the average person is.
>>
>>60983907
Actually, I found that it makes me happy.
Imagine being asked "can you fix the internet" and the only thing that needed "fixing" was to reset the fucking wifi adapter or just remove/insert it again if you don't know how to do it via the PC.

People like that keep me in a job. I'm happy the average person is an idiot.
>>
>>60984064
How about when you have to fix the internet again, over and over, often from the same person.

I get that you're a homosexual, but from the rest of us: fuck you
>>
>>60984132
It means I get to walk from my desk for a few minutes to the otherside of the building.
I enjoy it.
>>
>>60984163
Just think about it, help desk 'workers' are the slave niggers of the tech industry
>>
>>60983335
the fuck this thread has to do with technology discussion?

gtfo to >>>/biz/ or >>>/adv/, you fucking indian street
>>
>>60984195
No, that's call centre monkeys.
Help desk where I do actual work maybe 45 minutes of the day and get to do whatever I want otherwise? Yes, yes please.
>>
I sit around all day watching videos until I get a ticket, usually someone's badge needs access, or someone's account needs resetting. I'm bored, but I get to walk around most of the time. Nice job while I'm finishing my major.
>>
If you're starting on the bottom rung of the ladder then you'll spend 8 hours a day talking people through clearing paper jams, doing toner resets, password resets, changing peoples outlook log on username from the email address to their domain credentials, fixing dns issues stopping people from accessing share drives, creating new accounts and other miscellaneous shit.

If you're getting into IT operations it's an unfortunate necessary step to working up the ladder. My first job was as a junior sys admin but when I emigrated I worked at a helpdesk for a year. First line support is glorified call centre phone monkey shit that literally anyone can do but if you're not a fucking idiot then you'll get to second line on experience alone in about a year. Try get away from them asap though, there's nothing worse than trying to concentrate on an interesting or challenging fault only to be interrupted by the phone ringing or your service manager telling you to escalate the ticket and get back to answering more inbound calls
>>
>>60983335
They're easy
>>
>>60983335
Call center here. I work for small/medium sized companies. Pay is ok, you can affect your own pay and when starting to burn out just do some easy tickets and surf net. Almost always lie about how much time spent on a ticket ("service request") and smile to your boss in 1on1s.

I'm yuropoor so I think it's a little different, maybe easier, here but it's still pretty soul eating.
>>
working at a call center for apple. you wanna kill yourself after a day because of how dumb people are.

they constantly call to ask non tech issue and expect you to give them free shit because they bought the device at a premium.

>device 3 years old, out of warranty, battery doesn't hold a good charge anymore
>calls and ask for a free battery replacement because they have been apple customer since 1980 something

>call in with a non tech issue stating their data usage is way higher than usual
>facebook using all the data
>wants you to reimburse them for the amount of data they went overboard and wants you to fix it
>facebook app, asking apple to fix the data usage on that app

these are the retards you get daily and a bunch of
>what is this charge on my card from the itune store?

what is reportaproblem.apple.com???

>I bought this by accident, I want a refund

you dumb westerns have to be accountable for your spending, if you're gonna buy that shit, don't ask for a refund. eat the loss and let it be a lesson so you don't buy shit you dont need.

the worst is the metrics that they use. it's basically micromanaging to the smallest detail. you can only be in certain aux state during your shift, if you're in an aux state you're not suppose to be then you'll get a visit from your supervisor. if you're in a certain aux state for too long that doesn't involve you taking call, you get a visit from your supervisor.

you literally cannot do anything at all besides taking call > finish notes at the end of the call > take calls again

literally no freedom and they want you to take as many calls as possible.

if you can't suck a customer's dick good enough and they give you a poor feedback, it's going on to your monthly performance even though it's not your fault and you won't get incentive bonus / a good shift
>>
Customer ratings were a mistake.
>>
>>60984132
>I get that you're a homosexual
actual homosexual here
i wouldn't deal with stupid people like that
fuck you i bet you own a mac but post shit like this
>>
>>60983866
>Help desk like a call centre? I'd stab myself within ten seconds.

Stemming from this guy - my foray into the IT support world started off with Tier 2 support, which is typically the dispatch style of support that Tier 1/Helpdesk cannot resolve remotely. As the initial job I had was a hybrid Tier1/Tier2, I absolutely filter any Tier 1 jobs I find. Don't do helpdesk unless it's a remote position.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.