[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Putting hard drives to sleep?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: asd.jpg (23KB, 359x153px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
23KB, 359x153px
Should you use this setting for your hard drives or not?

What time should it be?

Is it bad or good for your hard drives?
>>
File: goodredditpost.png (36KB, 512x325px)
goodredditpost.png
36KB, 512x325px
They never go to sleep.
>>
>>60505922
No, you wear the HDD constanty stopping it.
>winblows 10
ahahahah
>>
File: laughing_big_guys.png (875KB, 968x745px)
laughing_big_guys.png
875KB, 968x745px
>>60505922
>Still using spinning drives in 20-17
>>
>>60505922
Leave it on default.

Install Gentoo if Windows breaks your drives.
>>
>>60505967
It's still a good choice for storage, why pay 4x more per gigabyte?
>>
>>60505922
spinning up and stopping are more stressful and mechanically wearing to a HDD than simply keeping it on.
>>
File: 1474410511179.jpg (25KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
1474410511179.jpg
25KB, 310x310px
>>60506004
>not being autistic
>>
>>60506013

Then why the fuck does windows think it's good to do this?
>>
>>60506048
It still saves power. And the wear spinning up and down isn't THAT enormous if it's only done after xx minutes of inactivity.

Besides it's not so clean-cut.

At some point remaining spun down will have been the better option than continuing to spin, wear-wise. And you may certainly have five or ten lesser used drives in your box.
>>
Set it based on how long you use it for. I set mine to 50 minutes because if I don't come back to my computer within 50 minutes to use it then I'm either asleep or out.
>>
>>60506048
who knows. I guess you could argue that it's more energy efficient but that's just retarded
>>
>>60506099
My music drive is separate, sometimes I don't use it at all, but this setting manages all drives
>>
File: 1464885621250.jpg (38KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
1464885621250.jpg
38KB, 600x568px
put it on NEVER unless you want to

>hear hard drive starts spinning when you are doing nothing
>>
>>60505922

Sleep would be nice, but Windows has a way of making it turn on by itself even if you don't even use the drive.
>>
>>60506004
How is it a good choice when SSDs exist? I assume you're talking about price, but how is that an issue? The difference in price is negligible if you have a job.
>>
thb I don't know if it's good to have it always on or not but I hate the sound of it starting spinning and the burst read/writes right after that
There is something unnerving in that sound. Makes me lose my focus too.
>>
>>60506191
> The difference in price is negligible if you have a job.
Data companies are relying more on HDD than SSD, so just perhaps this is not entirely sound logic.
>>
>>60506216
I don't hear it spin, just the click that takes a while to get to
>>
From shit I've read and heard, modern hard drives don't care too much about being spun up and down a good few times a day.

It wouldn't really matter much anyway if a hard drive is kept spun up or not even if you wanted to test there is too many variables that can make a hard drive fail
>>
>>60506472
Yeah, modern hard drives would die anyway long before any significant wear from the excessive spinups/spindowns can build up.
>>
>>60505922
>2017
>not using a RAIT10 storage array
Tape lasts much longer than magnetic drives
>>
>>60506004
>>60506320

As a boot drive you dense fucking retard, as a BOOT DRIVE. Nobody is suggesting you store your movies and music on SSDs, have some common fucking sense.
>>
>>60506048
That option is usually used on laptops to try and save power / battery life.
>>
>>60507158
I would make the case most of us already have an SSD as a boot drive even if it's a shitty one.
>>60505967
This post just makes it seem like no body should be using mechanical hard drive period regardless of use.
>>
What's a hard drive?
>>
>>60507241
It's a drive that's hard and rigid as opposed to being soft and floppy like a "floppy drive".

Similarly, solid state drives refer to drives that are made up almost entirely of solid matter while liquid or fluid state drives contain memory substrate that's a liquid/fluid material.
>>
>>60506191
SSD's die more often that hdds. I speak from experiance on multiple drives. Even my 3tb seagate barracuda has outlived several SSD's
>>
>>60507202

>I would make the case most of us already have an SSD as a boot drive

No, not on this 'technology' board. I wager less than half the posters here have an SSD as a boot drive.
>>
>>60505922
i put it on NEVER
>>
>>60507321
What the fuck are you doing to kill SSDs so quickly? Under normal use an SSD should last almost forever unless it's just a shit brand or its from 2008.
>>
>>60505922
>>>/g/sqt

Every fucking week.
>>
Turning it on constantly causes wear. If you rarely access the disk it's okay but keeping it spinning is likely better in general.
>>
There's a slight advantage in power usage if you let it spin down when idle but the downside is that whenever you access the drive it takes like 5-10 seconds for the drive to spin back up again which can be really annoying when you frequently access the drive. The other downside is that starting the drive back up can wear on the motor a little bit.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.