[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 24

File: 1466083626205.jpg (941KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1466083626205.jpg
941KB, 2272x1704px
Previous thread: >>60478135

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768 (Dead) (Dead)
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Why do I sometimes get an error like
>error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
Telling me I can delete /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
I do, then it works
But why does it happen?

Using Arch of not obvious
>>
>>60490972
the program may have crashed or didn't close completely before getting killed and the lock file is leftover
>>
>>60491120
When I remove it though, it says it's an 'empty file'
>>
File: 1484019982997.png (3MB, 2827x2781px) Image search: [Google]
1484019982997.png
3MB, 2827x2781px
I want to share a 1TB external HDD between GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.
Which filesystem do you recommend I use?
I was thinking either ufs or ext2.
ext2 is the only Linux filesystem that kFreeBSD has full rw support for.
I know that Linux can be compiled with rw support for ufs, but I read somewhere that the write support is a bit iffy.
>>
>>60491250
>BSD can't do EXT4

kek
>>
>>60491143
When you use pacman it creates this file,so that you cant run a second instance and fuck thing sup like deps and other shit.When you arent using pacman it removes it at the end of the instance.If it is left over and you dont have pacman running, you closed out improperly or it bugged out.
When you arent running pacman of course its going absent
>>
>>60491444
Thank the GPL.
>>
Any flaws in android-file-transfer? Autodetecting connected devices, simple gui, or am i missing something?
>>
Whats the command where you type it and then select a window and it kills it?
>>
why is this thread so dead?
>>
>>60491782
At least the proprietary fags are not here.
>>
>>60491918
I use skype
>>
>>60491782
Probably the time of day, it's night time on the us east coast.
>>
So after using MATE for God knows how long I took the plunge into KDE and holy Jesus is this DE amazing. Don't get me wrong, MATE is great too but I felt I was really not utilizing my powerful hardware. It feels like I'm using a modern OS.
>>
>>60491944
I meant the proprietary shills. You are only hurting yourself.
>>
>>60491782
All the cool ones are out socializing right now. It's almost 10pm on the US East right now.
>>
>>60492014
I tell other people to use skype
>>
>>60492004
xfce

>>60492025
But you are not shilling on the thread, that's what I meant.
>>
>>60491695
xkill
>>
>>60492004
Fuck I want to like KDE, but hide titlebar plus gets really pissy with moving tabs when you have the titlebar hiding at top
>>
How can people possibly like bloated forced DE's?
Get a WM(fluxbox) and use standalone non-bloated programs in combination to each other
>>
>>60492145
>bloated

Well for one I'm not running this on my old IBM thinkpad
>>
>>60492169
Why install 50 programs when you use maybe 5 of them but then install programs that do the same thing but do it better/look nice?
>>
https://ca0.tux.io/vm/O8S9y/desktop
>>
>>60492025
What the hell kid, why
>>
>>60491444
kek
>>
I want to dualboot arch/windows.

I should install windows first, right?
>>
One of my coworkers is a macfag and his macbook pro died. He asked me about getting a new laptop and installing gnu+linux, because he doesn't want a new macbook with memebar. What laptop should I suggest? It needs to be at least as powerful as a 2014 macbook pro in terms of CPU, and he doesn't want to buy used. Also, what distro is normie friendly, but not 100% dumbed down? He's a programmer but doesn't want to waste time with something like arch. I was thinking Fedora- how easy is it to get intellij and Scala+Java on it?
>>
>>60492189
Then just don't install the 50 programs? I think you have a negative idea that all the things that come with the DE when you install it are required, but most DE's in my experience don't pull a million dependencies except KDE.
>>
>>60492575
You should wipe windows completly.
Then you should install ubunut to make your feet wet, some weeks or months later (it depends how often you use the command line) you will know what distro is good for you.
>>
>>60492733
>de-program is required by de-service
>de-program2 is required by de-program
>>
>>60492575
If you're using UEFI and GPT like most modern motherboards, it won't matter which you install first. Just make sure the first partition is the fat32 EFI system partition. Windows and gnu+linux can both share it, and you can just set your bootloader of choice by picking its EFI file as the first option in motherboard settings. If you're using MBR/"legacy boot" you should probably install windows first.
>>
>>60492729
install elementary
>>
>>60492575
Yes, because otherwise Windows will overwrite GRUB and it's just a pain in the ass
>>
File: 1483462710292.png (96KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1483462710292.png
96KB, 460x276px
>>60492575
You should either throw windows out of your computer or throw your computer out of the window.
>>
>>60492786
kek
>>
>>60492755
if your distro is dependencies hell, its time to switch to something better.
>>
>>60492801
My distro/package manager has no dep hell.But DEs pull in everything and the sun to get the base install
>>
>>60492801
L O L
>>
>>60492756
>>60492778
Thanks. It's a fairly old laptop that doesn't support UEFI, so I'll install Windows and hope I can configure grub to boot it later on

>>60492745
This is not my first linux distro. I've you used Linux as my only operating system on my desktop computer for a few years. Arch is perfectly fine for me.

>>60492786
great answer
>>
>>60492786
This. The only correct place for Windows is a virual machine.
>>
>>60492806
Xfce and MATE don't
>>
File: 1466618303969.jpg (76KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1466618303969.jpg
76KB, 768x1024px
>>60492814
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60492575
just go balls deep anon
>>
>>60492867
I already am on my desktop.

I just need a laptop with both windows and linux one day next week.
>>
>>60492879
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.
>>
>>60492822
Son of a bitch, you dont get banned for posting that anymore?

I posted that shit a few years back and got a hard 7 days ban for it.
>>
>>60492902
>asking for censorship
>>>/p/lebbit
>>
>>60492909
i don't mind it desu senpai
>>
>>60492902
Why would you get banned for sharing useful information?
>>
Should I just give in for zsh and drop bash?
>>
>>60492943
why? because its cool? of you want to be cool, use fish
>>
>>60492943
Feel free to use whatever you want, but when you write scripts, use bash or posix-correct sh.
>>
Anybody have any luck easily installing DaVinci Resolve 14 and/or Fusion 8 in Ubuntu?

The installers appear to be .sh files. I tried installing it on my OS but in doing so I think I broke my OS and I will have to reinstall.

I also tried the CentOS .iso that Blackmagic offers and that didn't do any good either.

Should they release like an AppImage or a snap?
>>
Is debian stable base+Nix package manager suitable for everyday use now? It seems like it could be an alternative to installing a bunch of backports to get recent browsers, etc.
>>
>>60493080
Just use testing.

>>60492943
yes, zsh has some pretty nice features
>>
>fedora 25 randomly freezing
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>60493109
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
File: Spectacle.TT5939.png (46KB, 896x419px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.TT5939.png
46KB, 896x419px
>>60493258
>being this new
>>
What's the odds about Elementary OS Loki?
>>
Can someone help me with something??
>>
>>60493311
>he thinks ignoring the problem solves the problem
>>
>>60493326
Sure, what's up?
>>
>he
>>
>>60493341
Compton isn't working. I suspect it has something to do with setting the backend to 'glx'. Not sure though. Basically once I start compton, after disabling the current compositor, everything freezes. I'm on Xfce btw.
>>
What's the best distro for gaming in terms of official driver support that isn't Ubuntu? AMDGPU PRO doesn't work OOB on Arch Linux because AMD is too lazy to update their driver for Xorg 1.19 and I don't want to use Ubuntu because I'm concerned that when it goes from Unity to Gnome updates might get fucky for a while.
>>
>>60494038
If you want amdgpu pro you need the kernel of ubuntu 16.04

However on ryzen systems you should really use kernel 4.10 onward since there is a critical performance patch for zen processors.

Currently using 1700X with RX570, I am downloading Shadow of Mordor as I write this. I hope I'll get average of 50-60 FPS on my antergos (4.11)
>>
File: kysymys katti.jpg (6KB, 240x235px) Image search: [Google]
kysymys katti.jpg
6KB, 240x235px
How do I make my touch pad less sensitive on my X220? Running Ubuntu Mate, and it's missclicking quite a lot.
>>
best mpv config for intel HD graphics? I think i can do hardware decoding for most codecs. how much of a difference does hwdec actually make in terms of a laptop with a powerful CPU?
>>
I plan on building a HTPC by the end of the year, I'll will be using Ubuntu for it, any good HTPC software for Linux?
I know Kodi is one.
Can Kodi be configured to use mpv instead of the internal player on Linux?
>>
What would happen to the kernel if Linus died?
>>
>>60494214
Find the mouse & touchpad settings page and adjust the slider.
>>
>>60494291
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/17/now_i_can_die_happy_what_linus_didnt_iquitei_say/
>>
Why dont we combine reactos with something like debian? that way wede have native exe support in a linux envirnment
>>
File: 1329439298207.jpg (53KB, 800x573px) Image search: [Google]
1329439298207.jpg
53KB, 800x573px
Nothing like trying to get into [GNU/]Linux to remind oneself that one actually can't into computer. I'm going to have to put the training wheels back on and pick up Lubuntu or something.
>>
>>60494442
Because WINE is good enough.
>>
>>60494457
just read manuals. i recently picked up a new hobby. on the first and second day, i didnt understand anything. but by the fourth day stuff made sense
>>
I'm having job interview for Junior System Administrator next week (that I will probably fail). Any tips what they can ask in technical part? Stuff that is usually asked to check knowledge for junior?
>>
>>60494480
I'm reading the manuals. I'm following the instructions and making progress but I just spent like the last hour trying to get Veracrypt to compile on Fedora. All I want is for my computer to just werk again, but I know that comes after this pain.
>>
>>60494516
Your pain is entirely self-inflicted.
>>
How can I get roblox running on arch (virtualbox windows guest even) without dualbooting? I want to be able to keep windows off of this shitbox but it needs roblox.
>>
>>60494676
>but it needs roblox
what for?
>>
>>60494557
I don't doubt you're right but I can't seem to stop hurting myself. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to be in the default package manager and right now I think I'm getting raped by dependencies.
>>
>>60494469
Do we have something closer to parallels for linux where you sort of install windows along side it and they both run together?
>>
>>60494683
my daughter, non negotiable, i don't need it but i need to be able to run it under linux in order to keep from needing to dual boot windows on this i7 970 shitbox im trying to repurpose.
If it's not possible I understand, fuck roblux
>>
>>60494731
>>60494708
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 1373577935169.jpg (165KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1373577935169.jpg
165KB, 500x500px
>>60494737
my nigga
>>
best video player? vlc or mpv?
>>
>>60494737
My question is pertaining to WINE and/or VirtualBox in a GNU/Linux environment. Seeing as this was the friendly general i thought it'd be the right place to ask short of starting my own thread. Thanks for the frindly adivce though, friend.
>>
>>6049477 neither, my smart tv is somehow better at playing 4k mkv bullshit over AC wifi than either are on that lan through the walljack bullshit.
>>
>>60494772
Whatever floats your boat. Nothing stops you from trying both and choosing yourself.
>>
>>60494772
mpv is where its at
>>
>>60494772
Answer is always mpv
>>
>>60494772
The one I'm using is the best.
>>
>>60494798
whats wrong with vlc?
>>
>>60494676
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15961
>>
>>60494832
Selected Test Results

What works

Nothing

What does not

Game says server shut down

What was not tested

N/A; game does not work at all

Additional Comments

I'm not here to waste anyone's time, I'm just out of ideas.
>>
I the GNU plus Linux distribution known as xubuntu yesterday.
Honestly, what now?
>>
>>60494843
What version of wine do you have installed
>>
>>60494847
rice and learn bash
>>
>>60494816
It's inferior to mpv
>>
>>60494853
>>
Is there any way to make a bash script that keeps running in the background and turns on a led when my current upload speed is 1MB/s or more, then turns it off when it's less than 1 MB/s? assuming the command to turn it is "led1" and to turn it off "led0"

I don't even know where to begin or if i need another package monitoring the speed in the background.
>>
>>60494877
Check this out, and try downgrading wine to the working version listed on the wine appdb page

https://github.com/roblox-linux-wrapper/roblox-linux-wrapper
>>
>>60494879
basically, here's a lil daemon loop:

while sleep 1; do
# your checks
done

to run it in the background, add a "&"

current speeds you can find at /proc/net/dev

leds you can control with xset
>>
how do I increase the performance of my intel integrated GPU in GNU/Linux? dragging windows around and stuff like going to the overview in gnome is quite slow. Even in i3 it is a little slow when moving windows. It's a kaby lake hd 630- is there some way to improve performance on the desktop? When I run intensive 3d stuff it performs fine.
>>
>>60494886
I appreciate the effort bros, I hoever can ggole as well. If you check the link you gave, it mentions "As of September 2015, this script does not work with the latest versions of ROBLOX. No ETA for a fix is available."

I've hit the same dead end at all avenues, it seems the developers of this game have gone through lengths to actively exclude linux users. Even virtual box gives errors, windows 10 guest being video driver related, and windows 7 being ambiguous in detail but probably the same.
>>
>>60494676
>roblox
what is this autism? are you ten years old?
>>
>>60494910
run the right driver. check dmesg for how much ram its using too --though it should be automatically be half of system ram
>>
>>60494910
It's fast and snappy for me and I'm on an m3. Are you using Wayland or X.org? Vanilla kernel or custom?
>>
>>60494923
It's for his daughter
>>
>>60494936
>It's for his wife's daughter
FTFY
>>
>>60494945
LOL
>>
>>60494945
Kek
>>
>>60494923
>>60494936
Hah It's ok, it was a last ditch effort really, making sure I didn't overlook something. I'll just let her on the dualboot laptop or my phone or whatever for that bullshit. It just rustleb my jimmies when even vitrualbox couldn't run somethig that has been ported to literally every other platform. I bet if I got desperate an android vm would run it, but that would defeat the purpose because im trying to get my daughter into KB+M controls.
>>
>>60494945
>>60494960
>>60494965
10 year olds spotted
>>
>>60494968
thanks big boi.
>>
>>60494945
I'll have a kek with you lads too, but rest assured I have not been cucked here, both of my daughters have my DNA, confirmed. I just need a son (not my wife's) now.
>>
>>60494967
You could try running an older version of Roblox. Or you could introduce her to the superior game Minecraft which runs flawlessly in Gnu
>>
>>60494967
Or show her the holy programming language C.
>>
>>60494987
Yeah that's probably the superior route, just jewtube eceleb cookie swirl c and gamer CHAD have to introduce our children to both these days. Pixel painter mod on minecraft is another obsession. That's why I didn't ask about minecraft though.
>>
is there something like arch anywhere for gentoo
>>
>>60494992
I've tried explaining Terry to my mom and my wife at different points in time, I just look like as much of a silly meme as he does when I do.
>>
>>60495010
screenfetch -D Gentoo
>>
>>60495010
Yeah, calculate Linux or sabyon
>>
>>60494999
>>60495012
Is your wife hot? Post pic
>>
I'm trying to install Pale Moon. I haven't been able to find it in either the software manager or the package manager (do I need to do something with the 'repositories' to allow it to search other places from programs?) and when I've tried doing in the terminal with apt command as per the distro instructions it says it can't locate the package. Now obviously I've been able to google it and find a Pale Moon installer for linux on their site but that doesn't correct my lack of knowledge about doing it these other ways.

All that being so soes this mean that to download software not showing up in the managers I'll need to download it in tar.bz2 and go though it that way? (I haven't leaned about that yet so would need to do that). The instructions are reeally pushing these software/package downloads hard but they seen very limited in variety as they are now, is there something I'm not doing that will allow me to see a wider range of programs?
>>
>>60495025
You can't just hit me with 2 (You)'s and get your wish granted, yeah she's hot, white, THICC only after kids, always got a great ass, cares about her looks, all things to aspire for. CAN IT RUN ROBLOX?
>>
>>60495074
install gentoo
>>
>>60495074
Can what run it
>>
>>60495105
Negative, that would not resolve the issue.
>>60495146
x86_64 Linux 4.10.13-1-ARCH / KDE 5.34.0 / Plasma 5.9.5
>>
>>60495188
No. Now run along.
>>
>>60495199
aight, thanks dawg
>>
>>60494887
Thanks for the guidance. Took me a while to understand what the fuck i was doing because I've never touched bash scripting but finally got this thing working, it was fun.
>>
>Rolling release
>Install once, update daily. Your system will always be up-to-date.
How many megabytes in updates do these rolling release distros require each week?
>>
>install Mint 18 on former Win 8.1 machine
>mpv
>.conf is fine after some fuckabout
>open some animu
>eyecancer screen tearing
Any ideas what's causing this?
>>
>new kernel not in grub
>2 conf files
>menu.lst with the new kernel in it
>grub.cfg who don't
Hum...
I don't know why i have a menu.lst, i didn't have one. It's depcretaded no?
>>
>>60494469
No, not always. There are a lot of difficulties for gaming. I use wine on a very good desktop and it still is much slower than if I run the same game on friend's windows which is like 4-5 years older and is a freakin laptop.
>>
>>60497295
I'm samefagging cause i found how to update grub.cfg.
I had both grub and grub2
So:
>installed grub2-common
>it has removed legacy
>update-grub
>reboot
>new kernel is here.
Maybe it could help someone.
>>
native firefox on wayland W H E N
>>
Aside from branding, is there any difference between CentOS and RHEL? Are there any minor differencies/inconsistencies, or is literally everything bar the logo identical?
>>
File: 1484017430254.jpg (122KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1484017430254.jpg
122KB, 1440x810px
Okay, zfs, ufs, or ext2?
>>
File: mpv-shot0058.png (577KB, 1270x688px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0058.png
577KB, 1270x688px
How's GNU/Linux support for Canon Laser printers?
>>
File: mysql fail.png (9KB, 627x312px) Image search: [Google]
mysql fail.png
9KB, 627x312px
Why can't I create a new user on MySQL? Tried many different things and googled much, probably it's some easy problem.
Pls no bully.
>>
How do I make japanese text in terminals use ttf instead of bitmap fonts? Konsole, specifically.
>>
>>60498209
>'@'
It works like this? (i really don't know it's a real question).
>>
Ubuntu wifi keeps disconnecting every 3~5 MINUTES. tried changing to other Lts versions but no result. I need a Good driver. Does anyone know one ?

Ralink RT3090 802.11n WiFi Adapter
>>
File: wat.png (137KB, 746x619px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
137KB, 746x619px
>>60498253
Yes, the command is right. Found this:
>To resolve your issue, you just need to create a localhost user for your myuser with password
>https://serverfault.com/questions/465873/creating-new-mysql-user-password-and-privileges-not-sticking
But I don't get what is meant by this.
>>
Redpill me on Gentoo. Once I've installed a package do I need to recompile it every time I update?
>>
>>60498365
yes. every time you want to install or update a package it must be compiled. but in the repos there are binaries for programs like libreoffice & firefox.
>>
>>60498209
it has been created, see:
SELECT User from mysql.user;
>>
>>60498382
Sounds pretty inconvenient for heavy packages like the DE.
>>
>>60498412
how often do you need to update a DE though anon?
>>
File: 1492056070001.png (36KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1492056070001.png
36KB, 284x284px
>>60498401
You are right, thanks. Then my actual problem is something else, will come back and ask.
>>
>>60498422
Not very often admittedly, but still an annoyance when you have to. How much does compiling take on a modern laptop?
>>
>>60498503
depends entirely on the hardware, no-one can say how long it will take other than you.
>>
>>60498503
Took me bout tree fitty. How bow dah?
>>
can anyone help me debug why mpv segfaults? sometimes it happens just as I start a video playback, other times after 5-10 seconds of playback.

I'm on arch, the system is all uptodate, including mpv at 0.25

I already tried old versions, removing every script/config file but nothing helped.
>>
>>60498707
did you try to compile it from source anon
>>
Why is lm_sensors required by mesa now?
>>
>>60498743
Does it matter?
>>
>vimtutor
>Chapter 1.2
>Type: :q! <ENTER>
I'm glad I'm not a beginner or anything so I completely understand what the fuck this means
>>
>>60498860
it literally says 'type :q!'
how is this hard to understand? do you not get that <ENTER> means to push enter?
>>
>>60498729
I'd rather avoid compiling it from source. I know it might fix the problem since it's probably a lib causing it.
I tried downgrading ffmpeg already, but it didn't help.

worst thing is that I haven't been using mpv for a month while I have run various updates on my machine, so I don't know which one was my latest working configuration.
>>
>>60498812
Not really but I was worried since it seems like lm_sensors isn't well-maintained anymore.
>>
>>60498887
Huh it worked now. I guess I should be really careful about this q letter, I think I destroyed most of the tutor file.
>>
>>60497983
>Canon Laser printers
I haven't used them myself, but if they support PCL or PS (which I can hardly imagine they wouldn't), there's no problem.
>>
>>60498958
That's what I'm worried about.
I'm thinking of getting one with WiFi capability to ensure it works under linux.
>>
>>60498729
mpv is quite a bit of a pain to compile from source, due to its numerous dependencies.
>>
>>60499014
What model is it?
>>
>>60498889
I went ahead and compiled it myself, it still segfaults. I'll use vlc for now, but I'd rather resolve this ;_;
>>
>>60499022
Compiled fine for me on Gentoo
>>
>>60498707
I'm on Arch too.
>>
>>60499033
>vlc segfaults too
ok so it's one between libav/ffmpeg/mesa/nvidia
>>
>>60499081
did you bing the error message?
>>
>>60499097
it literally segfaults, my choice is to either build mpv with debug symbols and gdb through it or power through this shit with brute force trial and error. I'd rather do the latter since it's been eons since I used gdb.
>>
>>60499030
Haven't decided yet.
Something from the i-SENSYS line perhaps.
I was thinking that maybe if I got one with WiFi...
1. I won't need to boot up a computer and directly print from phone/tablet.
2. I won't have to deal with driver issues.

But I've heard that not all wifi models allow printing through phone/tablet, and that even if you get a wifi printer GNU/Linux won't recognize it.
>>
File: 1491643434976.jpg (43KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
1491643434976.jpg
43KB, 400x263px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
Fedora with KDE or KDE neon?
>>
Is cron still a thing? or is there something cooler?
>>
>>60498860
Finished vimtutor now. I can see how it's good but I don't understand how it's better than a proper IDE
>>
>>60499264
I would rather kill myself if that were my 2 only options

>>60499857
you are comparing text editing paradigm with a type of software. every respectable IDE has a vim mode
>>
>>60499140
Don't get Canon printer
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrintersCanon
You're better off with HP inkjet than laser future lung cancer.
>>
>>60499938
I guess.
I don't get the point of for example executing external commands with :! if I can just open another window and run it there.
Again, it obviously makes complete sense in a non-desktop environment and it's great.
I guess with all the high praise and >not using vim replies I expected something game changing.
>>
>>60500081
Try :r!date
>>
>>60500081
modal text editing is game changing. if you want something game changing workflow-wise then try spacemacs.
>>
>>60499857
IDEs were a mistake. All you need is a text editor.
>>
>>60497959
The answer is stop using BSD.
>>
>tfw compiling glibc to debug why mpv is crashing just to watch some anime
boy I sure do love arch
at least I learnt how to use gdb today.
>>
>>60500623
ubuntu doesn't have this problem.
give me one reason you don't use ubuntu
>>
>>60500652
my work is webdev, my hobby is linux
>>
>>60500666
>i want to watch videos
>but fixing my not working computer and spending all today learn how to use debugging tools on this video player is a good use of my hobby time
>>
>>60500344
But is it worth it?
Ideally, I don't want to think about my editor at all.
With modes, I occasionally stay in the wrong mode or don't correctly switch to the right one and then I have to do things again.
With emacs style editing, I do everything at the same time and I just have to commit movements to muscle memory.
And I am never going to forget that I am pressing a meta key.
>>
>>60500685
I actually am enjoying this, because I know I will eventually fix this (by either rolling back some packages or fixing the bug myself since i know how to code).
>>
>>60500666
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60500729
I use busybox :^)
>>
>>60500736
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60500771
busybox isn't ganoo tho?
>>
>>60500685
>implying that is a waste of time
Obviously a debugger is a valuable tool any developer should learn to use.
At the very least they should know about backtrace.
It is just as essential to learning how to compile a program because sooner or later you will install something from source and then you need to be able to read and find out why things don't work.

With Ubuntu, I often need more current versions of software, with arch, I often need older versions.
Learning how the system is built gives you insight into how to fix it.
>>
>>60500720
you use a broken os on purpose just to spend time fixing it? i don't understand. spend your time on something useful if you 'know how to code'
>>
>>60500777
tbqh it isn't linux either
>>
>>60500795
Programmers are just as stupid, lazy and prone to procrastinate as other people.
Some people watch netflix, some compile software they use. Why do you care?
>>
>>60500795
do you know what a hobby is? I actually enjoy figuring out why the system is breaking and how to solve it. sometimes it's as easy as checking the logs, other times you have to get your hands dirty deep in the code.

why do you have to define for me what I find fun? it's not a matter of being productive, it's a matter of enjoying what I'm doing.

>>60500830
it's BUSYBOX\Linux?
>>
I installed Linux.

What the fuck do I do now?
>>
>>60500855
Linux? Is it Android\Linux, BSD\Linux, GNU\Linux or are you just running the bare kernel?
>>
>>60500855
deblob and harden it
>>
what the command for pacman and yaourt to delete all needless packages?
>>
Is there any way to increase my T420 volume above 100% on Arch? Ubuntu MATE's volume control allowed you to go past 100% up to around 150%
>>
>>60500864
kek
>>
>>60500843
You are an example for all. As a Debian user, it makes me happy to think that one day I, or my children, will also enjoy in our systems the fixed version of mpv that you are debugging today.
>>
>>60500899
Do how have pulseaudio installed?
>>
Why doesn't Chrome save tab history from Windows to Linux and vice-versa anymore? I used to be able to open all my tabs every time I switched to a different OS, now I can't. It only saves the first tab.
>>
what the command for pacman and yaourt to delete all needless packages?
>>
File: 1466578450895.png (11KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
1466578450895.png
11KB, 130x130px
>>60501054
>chrome
Remove asap.
>>
>>60501063
you just posted that nigger
read your own fucking wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Removing_unused_packages_.28orphans.29
>>
>>60501054
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60490928
>/t/'s GNU/Linux Games
Use the new link
>>
what is the best tiling wm? i3 is so boring
>>
>>60501122
awesome
>>
>>60499225
sudo rm -rf /
>>
>>60501118
Post it, fagget.
>>
>>60501136
doesn't work on GNU you fucking retard
>>
File: 1493711387632.jpg (47KB, 540x409px) Image search: [Google]
1493711387632.jpg
47KB, 540x409px
Just finished a 10 hour journey to get Arch installed to dual boot with Windows 10. Started with Windows cucking me and only letting me shrink my 1TB partition by 20GB, so I spent hours defragging/freeing space until it turns out this paging file was the culprit (Windows version of swap?) and now have 250GB for Linux. Then like 2 hours for Arch, systemd put some boot files in the wrong path so after a while of Googling I found I needed to manually move them to the EFI partition. At leas if I ever need to install Arch again the future it should only take a few hours.
>>
If I got a distro with rolling updates, would I have to get all the updates using the terminal, or would they happen automatically? I know very little about Gee En You Plus Lin You Ex, and I want to feel like a baller by typing "yum install updates" and getting everything updated. With rolling updates, I can probably do that more often.
>>
>>60490928
Do any of you have a tear free setup on linux? Post your configurations/compositors/hardware etc and whatnot
>>
>>60501164
if an arch installation takes more than 15 minutes something is wrong

>>60501170
your system will only update when you tell it to. you must use the commands to update. but you can make it automated to update every 24 hrs etc.
>>
>>60501182
>tear free
Like sceen teaing? Wow my key just boke
>>
File: 1476866698514.jpg (813KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1476866698514.jpg
813KB, 2048x1536px
>>60501164
>>60501182
Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60501194
I'm way over tired, that may have done it
>>
>>60500933
Yes
>>
>>60501253
pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ 1337%
>>
>>60501209
>>
>>60501182
With Nvidia I just edited xorg.conf the way the Arch wiki says to (force full compositing, and enable triple buffering) and it worked. Never did get Intel graphics working unfortunately, got horrible screen tearing in every web browser and every DE I tried.
>>
>>60501272
hey i use arch in case it matters
>>
>>60501300
I'm on Arch aswell.
>>
>>60501303
>>60501300
Me three
>>
>>60501300
>Welcome aboard.
>>
>>60501268
Thanks!
>>
is the AUR down ?
>>
>>60501328
maybe
>>
>>60501300
thx bb
>>
>>60491598
GPL allows it.
>>
File: wayland-screenshot.png (2MB, 4500x2531px) Image search: [Google]
wayland-screenshot.png
2MB, 4500x2531px
New uptate for gentoofetch:
Now it 128 lines long.
>>
>>60501466
new update for gentoofetch:
we still don't care
>>
>>60501488
rude
>>
>>60501488
Ubuntu-shill please.
>>
File: archabs.png (30KB, 2439x195px) Image search: [Google]
archabs.png
30KB, 2439x195px
>>60501328
Could this have something to do with it? Are all the AUR helpers broken until they update or what?
>>
>>60501466
lspci | awk -F ': ' '/Audio/ { print $2 }'
>>
>>60501582
This works only from root.
>>
File: wayland-screenshot.png (68KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wayland-screenshot.png
68KB, 1920x1080px
>>60501602
>>60501582
Doesn't works even for root in fact.
>>
>>60501658
>nano
why not vim
>>
>>60501658
You forgot the last '
>>
>>60501675
>vim
why not emacs
>>
>>60501675
>>60501757
Why not sublime text?
>>
File: 1471178058228.png (11KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
1471178058228.png
11KB, 130x130px
>>60501773
>sublime text
Remove asap.
>>
Is there something like vimtutor for EMACS?
>>
>>60501964
M-x tutorial
>>
>>60501964
emacstutor
>>
>>60494038
rebellin linux
>>
>>60501964
C-h t
>>
whats up, pimps
>>
Can having too much files in your file system slow down your OS? I'm using ext4 and I have millions of small files scattered through hundreds of folders because of some scripts I'm running.
>>
>>60494038
Gentoo
>>
Is there a tool that allows me to collaborate in a shell? Something like ssh but multiple clients connect to the same shell.
>>
>>60501466
I'm still not convinced that it isn't malicious. You say it needs to be run as root, AND it can be run only with BASH. what gives?
>>
>>60502280
127 lines long, it doesn't need root!
You can check it youself.
You don't need bash for it, you need dash which is much smaller and 4 times faster.
>>
>>60502280
https://github.com/DmitryHetman/gentoofetch/blob/master/gentoofetch
Read source code.
>>
I'm partitioning my 240 gb ssd. I have another 750gb hdd for storage of most things; how much do i need for ubuntu? only like 20-30gb on the ssd to be comfortable right? how much free space should windows 10 always have so it doesnt slow down?
>>
>>60496762
83.94M + 380M
been around 9 days since last update
>>
>>60502676
Just wipe Windows 10.
>>
>>60496762
Depends on how much software and which. If you use KDE prepare for a fuckton of MBs of updates. If you use some lightweight DE or a tiling one the biggest stuff will be the kernel and your browser of choice, 100MB per week perhaps?
>>
>>60502676
750GB
>>
>>60502804
>>60502823
muh vidya and engineering programs tho. plus i like having my linux partitions small.
>>
>>60502774
>>60502818
What if I haven't updated in a very very long time?
>>
>>60502837
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60502846
If you use Arch prepare for it not to work. Still depends on what software you have.
>>
>>60502676
> so it doesnt slow down?
wut
>>
>>60502878
>If you use Arch prepare for it not to work
Why?
I'm using manjaro.
So would it be better to install the latest stable then update? or just run -Syu and hope for the best?

I didn't want to update because I didn't want to update certain applications mainly firefox.
>>
>>60502956
>I didn't want to update because I didn't want to update certain applications mainly firefox.
Disgusting.
>>
Anyone use Krita on Gentoo?

I installed it from an overlay, and the performance is awful. Very laggy and slow when I try to draw.

Other programs like GIMP work fine. Any idea what the problem might be?
>>
>>60502881
windows slows down with smaller space iirc
>>
>>60503001
wait that's a lie, I installed it from the official repositories.
>>
>>60503053
Try running the appimage version
>>
>>60502956
Depends on how much time. I resurrected a machine with arch a few months ago that didn't get updates for ~6 months and it was a clusterfuck of broken dependencies and libraries because they can't keep the repo tidy for good. Anyway, update it and see what happens, unlikely it won't be something you can't fix in 5 minutes tops.

ps. if you don't want the shit-features of firefox go with ESR 49, updating your browser is foundamental
>>
>>60502881
A full disk means that Windows must send much larger data packages out, which again slows the system down.
>>
>>60502846
i use gentoo on my laptop and only update once a month when i don't plan to be traveling
>>
>>60503077
>how much time
A year and a half.
>ESR 49
That's in the AUR, right?
>clusterfuck of broken dependencies
Because some get removed? I'm using manjaro I thought it's have its own repo.
>something you can't fix in 5 minutes tops
How much of tech savvy you need to be?
Just downgrade few packages right?
>>
>>60503198
>A year and an half
Honest question, why rolling if you aren't going to update? I don't know much about Manjaro updates policy but they're still rolling, no? The packages are the same from arch but downstreamed and delayed. If you have some problems startpage it and perhaps you'll find a way to fix it, repeat until no issues are stil present. ESR should be in the officila repos, if it isn't then that's a shame and you'd have to AUR it. If you have a separate /home partition go for it, worst that could happen is waste an hour on it.
>>
File: Crv6b12VIAIXpiT.jpg (27KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
Crv6b12VIAIXpiT.jpg
27KB, 500x455px
>>60503272
>why rolling if you aren't going to update?
Because I wanted to try AUR.
And was afraid that running -Syu would fuck up everything, and I have very bad internet speeds.
>>60503272
>If you have a separate /home partition go for it
I do.
How would this help?
You mean if it break I should install the latest stable?
>>
Has stallman ever talked about the cube game series and if he supports them?
>>
>>60503419
who cares he's a fat faggot
>>
>>60503441
owned lol
>>
How can I use SDL2 programs in a framebuffer? SDL1 had it.
>>
>>60503406
Updating costantly doesn't really break things a lot. If there's a major problem it's discussed, I think there was a newsletter too. If you have a separate home partition you can just reinstall, your stuff and the config files will remain there so it shouldn't cause much issues, for what I know at least.
>>
>>60503441
LOL!
>>
>>60503462
>>60503545
why are you in a linux general if you just want to talk about ecelebs' opinions on things?
>>
>>60503073
yep same problem. not sure what would cause this.
>>
>>60503500
>you can just reinstall
Will have to test that before hand.

Another question, What if I have USB flash drive/ Burned DVD of the distro?
Would running live session and running -Syu be a good method to test things or do I need to reboot?
>>
>>60503567
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60503575
Why dont you just fucking update regularly?
Check the homepage if you're that incompetent for potenial issues.
Sounds like you need debian/fedora
>>
>>60503575
That seem pointless to me. Update, if something breaks try to fix it. If it doesn't work you can reinstall and keep most of your stuff.
>>
>>60503406
Look at archlinux.org for news on updates that may break something. This happens fairly seldom.
>>You mean if it break I should install the latest stable?
There is no stable.
>>
>>60503441
*tips snapback
>>
>>60503598
As I said in >>60503406
>Sounds like you need debian/fedora
I used debian before I switched, but the really old packages are way too much.
>That seem pointless to me.
In what way?
I was thinking of installing it to a VM or different machine and see.
>>60503638
I'm talking about manjaro
>>
>>60501773
>sublime text
Why not leafpad?
>>
>>60503567
>stallman
>e-celeb
cute
He is nothing
>>
File: 1481875290856.jpg (717KB, 1592x1801px) Image search: [Google]
1481875290856.jpg
717KB, 1592x1801px
>jewish
>believes heavily in sharing
>wants what's best for mankind
>he's believed to be a madman with followers that are insane
>considered a savior
>condemned by a giant empire
>backstabbed and betrayed by his closest friends
>both founded their own religion
>>
New: >>60503718
>>
>>60503699
but he's atheist
>>
>>60503699
>Atheist Jew, the worst kind of Jew
>Believes in forcing people to share i.e theft
>Misanthropic
>High IQ Autist who showers less than Jobs
>Not taken seriously whatsoever outside of third world shitholes
>Condemned by Linus as a faggot
>Kicked out of MIT for squatting
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.