[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Supply what watt? Brand?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: blingbling.jpg (425KB, 1280x910px) Image search: [Google]
blingbling.jpg
425KB, 1280x910px
Hope everyone is having a great week so far. The prices on the rx 580 have made me consider upgrading the old gtx 760 and I wanted to get a new power supply at the same time. I've had the same power supply for 11 years and while it's served me well It's probably one of those things you don't want to try to keep using for more than a decade.

You'll laugh at my current power supply. It's a Thermaltake 850 modular that I had to get from Best Buy for north of $150 when one blew up during a build at a friend's house on Sunday so many years ago.

In hind sight it was a pretty amazing deal though at the time I was as salty as you could get.

I'm unable to estimate the size I need.
My current specs(potentially new video card substituted):
i7 4770k
2 SSD drives and 1 HDD
Blu Ray drive
XFX rx580 black edition 8gb
18gb system memory(stock stuff)
I plug a lot of things in to the USB.

Also I'd like to hear you all weigh in on the power efficiency ratings. The gold power supplies seem to be pretty affordable but really jump up at the platinum+ level.

Requirements:
fully modular
warranty?
long cables so I can do nice cable management and not have to stretch everything in straight lines.
>>
Silverstone SFX 800w Titanium efficiency. Lambda A rating. ETA B rating.
>>
You could get a seasonic prime 650W (gold). Not cheap but they are excellent and have a 12 year warranty.
>>
File: 17-256-181-V01.jpg (109KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
17-256-181-V01.jpg
109KB, 1280x960px
>>60433530
Pic related? $189? I'm not opposed to paying that much considering how long my current one lasted. Can you elaborate on what going from Gold to Platinum to Titanium is doing for me?

>>60433535
With my build listed there do you think 650w is sufficient?
>>
EVGA 650 BQ
>>
>>60433593
650W is actually way overpowered for your PC, but they don't make a model with lower wattage. Unless you plan to use dual GPUs in the future, in which case you could go for the 750W or 850W.
>>
>>60433530
I just looked up that Silverstone and it only has a 1 year parts and labor warranty. Is that just a misprint on Newegg or am I out $189 if it kicks the bucket in 366 days?
>>
Be Quiet! brand anything. Solid German engineering. None of that Chinese rebrand crap.
>>
Seasonic gold/platinum, XFX XTR series, EVGA G2 etc.
You can't go wrong with any of them. Check JonnyGuru for reviews.
>>
>>60433674
Ah good to know. Thanks man. Naw, I'm not a duel GPU kind of guy. I'll limp along with the small bit of gaming I have time to do until there is a bargain priced full replacement.

One thing I will say about the crazy expensive at the time Thermaltake is that years later I was able to buy different modular cables off their website for a new pin GPU plug I needed. 7 years later and they still had a new cable for their old modular model.

From what I can gather it seems like Seasonic and EVGA have the best reps right now on power supplies.

Any info on the difference in efficiency ratings? There are some info guides online about it but it's all half marketing spin on some of those sites. At some pricepoint am I paying just to have Japanese components and not Chinese?
>>
>>60433593
Also check out:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews

For in-depth PSU reviews.
>>
>>>/g/sqt
>>>/g/pcbg

stop making new threads
>>
>>60433674
>750-850W for dual GPUs in 2017
holy shit go and look at the fucking power draw on new cards you dumbass
>>
>>60433798
Maybe you should take your own advice.
>>
>>60433814
list the actual power draw for each component you're thinking about, mr smartypants.
>>
>>60433775
Didn't realize there were threads for buying guides. This is a pretty slow board though.

>>60433798
So an rx580 and 4770k need more than 650? Also, being polite doesn't cost anything anon.

>>60433681
All their components are made in Germany? I went to their site and they claim they manufacture in Germany but are their PSUs components all sourced from Germany? And I see they aren't fully modular. If the quality is there i'd consider semi modular though.
>>
>idiots suggesting over 500w bronze/gold in the current year
>>>/v/
you only embarrass yourself
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16KB, 231x247px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16KB, 231x247px
>>60433864
>So an rx580 and 4770k need more than 650?
just throw your PC out the window and go back to school and learn some basic reading comprehension
>>
>>60433848
I see someone got meme'd into buying a 1kW psu for his shitty pc. Anyway: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-580-review,5020-6.html
Most modern cards are still well below 250W each at absolute maximum load (torture loop). So unless you're running a ridiculous vCore on your cpu and then decide to run a torture test that puts max load on cpu + GPUs you're not going to get above 750W load with most GPUs even in this scenario. In most realistic load scenarios you're never gonna see load even near 750W though unless you still mine bitcoins in 2017 on your mom's power bill. But OK maybe you do want to do that, in which case buy the 850w.
>>
>>60433848
Cmon son, not everything is hyper low wattage draw like 1050ti or 550. Aftermarket 1080tis have 320w power targets, sli of them conservatively would then be 640w. A highly Overclocked r7 1800x or 7700k will suck down another 160w easily at full tilt, so it's not a stretch to say 750 or 850w power supplies or even higher have a strong place in the market still. The trend towards low power doesn't mean the death of high power draw parts
>>
PSUs don't really matter. If you want a modular PSU then get it. Just make sure you choose the right wattage with some overhead
>>
>>60433403
Just get the $20 EVGA 450w PSU. It'll be fine for a single GPU.
>>
File: youdensemotherfuckerr.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
youdensemotherfuckerr.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>60434051
are you fucking retarded? im saying you dont even need 750W for dual GPUs these days.

see instructions here: >>60433898
>>
File: 17-151-169_R01.jpg (89KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
17-151-169_R01.jpg
89KB, 1280x960px
>>60434051
I have no technical basis for my opinion but my gut tells me that I should buy as high of quality as I can afford on a part that, if fails spectacularly, can take out much more expensive components in my computer. Am I on the right track with this thinking?

>>60433898
jeez man, just give it a rest. No one is taking your bait and all you're accomplishing is making yourself look like a social train wreck. I hope your week/life goes better man and you're not so angry and feel like lashing out at strangers on a board.

Thank you to everyone for this great feedback even with me making a dedicated thread for it. Good info all around. That Jonnyguru site is really cool when he breaks open the PSUs and critiques the construction and components. Would have never come across it on my own.

This one fits my budget and looks pretty good. Thoughts? Is it worth extra money for a Titanium rated model?
>Seasonic Flagship Prime Series SSR-750PD 750W
>>
>>60434144
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16
>>
>>60434313
That basically corroborates my claims, pulling about 300w on the founders edition which hits thermal limits and throttles more aggressively than the titanic aftermarket cards.
>>
>>60434390
that's total system consumption
>>
>>60434280
No you didn't say that anon. Maybe you're the problem if you can't even type a coherent sentence before raging.

>>60434284
Titanium is a waste of money currently, get gold or maybe a platinum model at most. The main difference between the models is efficiency and you'll probably never recoup the extra cost with the money you'll save on power. They're all good quality.
>>
>>60434523
>No you didn't say that anon.
it was obviously implied, you retarded faggot >>60433798
>>
>>60434636
> Can't admit he's wrong.
>>
So, does anyone think SFX will start replacing ATX power supplies even in larger cases, allowing for more creative layouts?
>>
File: youdensemotherfucker2.png (90KB, 482x315px) Image search: [Google]
youdensemotherfucker2.png
90KB, 482x315px
>>60434684
do you know how to read basic english?
>>
>>60434284
>I have no technical basis for my opinion but my gut tells me that I should buy as high of quality as I can afford on a part that, if fails spectacularly, can take out much more expensive components in my computer. Am I on the right track with this thinking?
Of course you are. If the processor is the brain of your computer, the power supply is the heart. Without a good one it can die and take other components with it. And unlike other parts, power supplies can come with 10+ years of warranty and will be 90-100% compatible with whatever you buy during that time.

My recommendation is to get a EVGA G2 or G3
>>
>>60433403

daily reminder anything more than 400w is a waste of money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWThqgFfI4&feature=youtu.be&t=302
>>
I SAID WHAT WATT
>>
>>60434468
And? Add a second card on there and it's a tad close for breathing room, without taking Overclock into account either.
>>
buying used power supplies y/n??

people buy a lot of used power bricks for laptops that work fine, also oem psus.
>>
>>60437573
I would say no, that is not a good idea. Unless you can get confirmation that the warranty can be transferred across owners (ie. Not tied to some registered account on the manufacturers website) and all the documentation required for that warranty is also provided, I would not even consider it.

That's the last part you want failing, as it could destroy your entire system.
>>
>>60436392
Most modern PSUs have the highest efficiency when under 50-60% load.
So in order to save the most on electricity costs, calculate your system's expected power draw and multiply that by 1.8 or so.
>>
>>60437821
this.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.