[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 28

File: 1476794389206.jpg (473KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1476794389206.jpg
473KB, 1024x768px
Previous thread: >>60143447

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
>tfw you'll never stumble upon rms while looking around in a computer store
>>
>>60152443
>ganoo linigs
mrw grsec cucked Linux out of actual security
>>
First for Gentoo
>>
File: mt84kxtu40qy.png (3MB, 1900x2279px) Image search: [Google]
mt84kxtu40qy.png
3MB, 1900x2279px
>>
>>60152443
>That color combo
has RMS ever gone in target
>>
I am running Fedora 25 with GNOME3. I was wondering how long I could keep running this thing without updating? I hate the process of re-installing my apps and OS.
>>
>>60152443
Does that bag respect my freedom?
>>
>>60152632
What? dnf has dist upgrade now

Assuming it's a facebook machine. 10 years.
If it's a shitposting machine, forever.
>>
>>60152443
If I could I would purge all Linux distros aside from Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch and OpenSUSE. GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE and i3 are the only ones allowed and pacman, deb., dnf. should be the only package managers permitted. Ideally the entire FOSS community should be working on Ubuntu GNOME if we ever want to see progress.
>>
@60152662
Gotta work harder for the (You)s.
>>
When selecting a laptop or desktop to run GNU/Linux on, what is your go-to resource to make sure that you purchase a compatible laptop or desktop?
>>
>>60152659
Main machine. I am a student. So I'll be using it for everyday things plus coding and games.
>>
>>60152673
System76
>>
Gimp keeps crashing whenever I try to open a file or export to one. Here's the output when I open it via CLI and try to open an image:
GEGL-geglmodule.c-Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.2/openraw.so' load error: libopenraw.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:29558): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-pdf-load: error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler-glib.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:29558): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
gimp: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed.
gimp: terminated: Aborted

(file-png:29603): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:29567): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
>>
>>60152672
Redditors like you keep the entire community behind. But I mean if we can splintering off just don't be surprised no one takes Linux seriously, and that it will always remain a hobby-ist OS.

>>60152673
Dell and Lenovo have great Linux support. Generally just search the component (usually motherboard, graphics card and SSD) for it's compatibility with Linux.
>>
>>60152673
Basically anything ordinary will be compatible.
The main cause of problems is wireless adapters. And even that is reasonably rare.

Make sure to pick ATI if you need an dedicated graphics card.
The drivers are almost all free software.
>>
>>60152683
When was the last time you updated fedora?
Dnf should make it really easy.
>>
>>60152704
Did you try installing libopenraw and libpopper-glib?
How did you install gimp? From a tarball?
>>
>>60152718
I haven't. Last time I used Fedora it was F18. But I am saying I don't want to upgrade the distro since things might break. How long can I stay on 25, are there any security issues?
>>
>>60152662
I generally agree with this statement. I think that a huge issue with the state of GNU/Linux is how splintered everything is, hindering progress.

There are a million distros based on Debian or Arch. They are usually just pre-configured buggier versions of the distros that they are based on. People will use these shitty "based on" distros and think that this is a representation of the entire GNU/Linux experience. It's not. A "proper" distribution (one that is not based off of another) doesn't have as many problems.

The only exception to this rule I can think of is Ubuntu, because it has enough manpower and organization behind it to consider it an independent effort.
>>
@60152705
Not good enough.

>>60152739
If you are so afraid I wouldn't bother updating anytime soon. You won't have any 4 channer sshing into your mainframe.
I don't use fedora, but dnf was supposed to make upgrading trivial.
>>
>>60152746
I mean people can work on their own distro, DE or whatever but if you are dedicated to the spread of Linux focus on Ubuntu and GNOME.
>>
>>60152738
I installed it via pacman. I can't find libpopper-glib, but I installed libopenraw.

Now it prints this:
(gimp:31704): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-pdf-load: error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler-glib.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:31704): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
gimp: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed.

(file-png:32297): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:31743): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
>>
>>60152772
>>60152662
>choice is bad, mkay
>>
>>60152767
> You won't have any 4 channer sshing into your mainframe.
How safe is Linux in general, and Fedora in particular?
>>
>>60152788
> Missing the point this bad
>>
>>60152672
His decision is retarded. The community needs more rolling release systems.
Yearly and bi-yearly release schedules create an inconvenience for anyone who doesn't intend use said distros as a 'jump off'. Especially new users who don't utilize a separate root and home.
>>
>>60152772
I wouldn't say that. I fear the day that Linux does become centralized. At that point I'm afraid we will start to lose choices and freedoms.
>>
>>60152787
>libpoppler-glib
Try poppler-glib.

>>60152790
Pretty safe. Is there any reason someone would target you specifically? Are you running any web facing service? If so, update.

The unix permission system, software repositories, firewall and selinux are a pretty good protection against most generic malaware and attacks.
>>
>>60152790
Also, if you like fedora and don't like updating. Consider installing CentOS instead of updating to 26 when the time comes.
>>
>>60152858
>The unix permission system
what's this?
>>
>>60152815
Separate root and home is a meme. All its good for is causing you problems when you need to resize partitions. If you're reinstalling then you should just wipe the whole drive and restore your data from backups.
>>
>>60152858
Got poppler-glib installed, now it gives me this:
(gimp:2271): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed

(file-png:2629): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:2311): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
>>
>>60152881
eh it's been pretty useful for me. No point in wiping the whole drive if I only need the space where the root partition is located. So I can keep my /home without having to backup and restore.
>>
>>60152858
>Is there any reason someone would target you specifically?
No. I don't host any web services.
>>
>>60152582
saved
>>
>>60152662
There wont be more progress. More than likely there would be less due to infighting and devs dropping out of projects they don't like.
>>
>>60152878
Every file has tree attributes.
1. Owner(a user);
2. Group(a group of users);
3. Others(everyone that is not the user and don't belong to 2).

Each of those properties is a 3 bit flag.
This flag can represent any combination of the permissions for reading(r), writing(w) and execution(x).

>>60152894
Check if cairo or libcairo or anything like that is installed. Try rebooting?
>>
You guys wouldn't to know of any good sources to learn/understand perl, not sure if this is particularly related to this thread.
>>
>>60152878
he's a macfag
>>
>>60152958
Search for /dpt/ on the catalog.
>>
>>60152962
MacOS is Unix.
>>
File: 1485659396763.gif (717KB, 317x279px) Image search: [Google]
1485659396763.gif
717KB, 317x279px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>60152988
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
>>
>>60152988
lolcat is fun
>>
>>60152988
deltree C:\Windows\System32
>>
>>60152949
Cairo was reinstalled and I rebooted, now I get this:
(gimp:1779): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed

(file-png:1852): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:1793): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
>>
>>60152988
curl -L git.io/burger
curl -L git.io/coffee
curl -L git.io/pancakes
curl -L git.io/pizzza
curl -L git.io/pizzzza
curl -L git.io/poptart
curl -L git.io/rice
curl -L git.io/taco
curl -L git.io/unix
curl -L git.io/vburger
curl -L git.io/waffles
>>
>>60152988
 sudo apt update

makes you look like a leet hacker
>>
>>60153033
Then Idk. Sorry, I'm not even a Arch user.
I suggest you ask on the arch or the gimp support mail list. The Arch forum may be useful, but it's mostly circle jerking.
>>
>>60153033
>>60153122
Also, remember to tell them what the original error was as well.
>>
>>60153184
What do you mean by the original error?
The problem is that it crashes when I try to select or export to a file.
>>
How to make cmatrix use the matrix font in a terminal emulator?
>>
>>60151486
That's really cool, anon.

Not particularly a GNU/Linux question, but what kind of mini laptops are out there? There's the eee PC 701, any other laptops that are neat, old or new?
>>
is there a wayland equivalent of startx? How would I start a gnome wayland session from tty and make sure it's wayland?
>>
File: stallman shake.gif (840KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
stallman shake.gif
840KB, 512x512px
Hurd 1.0 soon.
>>
>>60153405
As soon as hurd can have audio, firefox and vim I'm basically set to switch to it for daily use. How are those ports going?
>>
If I started gnome from gdm, and didn't choose gnome on Xorg, am I running wayland? I wanted to try out wayland and I'm impressed that all my x programs, including firefox still work.
>>
Has anyone tried using the Nix package manager on Fedora 25? I'm thinking of using it to install my multimedia software so I don't have to rely on RPMFusion.
>>
>>60153297
man cmatrix
>>
>>60153606
There is a guide for this on the Nix website, though it is written for Debian/Ubuntu, I'm unsure if it will also work for Fedora.

For what it's worth, I installed a minimal Ubuntu server and installed xorg and gnome-shell. I used Nix package manager for everything else, now I have a stable base OS with up to date software and the best package management system.
>>
>>60153723
>implying I didn't read it already
>>
gnunet any good? is it full of pedophile like other p2p services?
>>
>>60153606
Yep, that's exactly what I do.

$ bash <(curl https://nixos.org/nix/install)
>>
>>60153909
>bash
>>
>>60153752
Is NixOS really that unstable? It seems more streamlined to use the same package management for the entire system. What would be some pros and cons of just using NixOS?
>>
Tired of Ubuntu. I have spent that last week distro hopping looking for the right distro that works for me.

Finally settled on this.

>Arch without the autism
>comfy global dark theme
>rolling release thats also stable

Realling enjoying this.
>>
>>60154110
you'll be fine if you don't let the memes get to you
>>
>>60154110
Budgie sounds gay.
>>
>>60152443
Why does rms dress like a Staples employee.
>>
I ended up with xfce. Seems pretty
Good so far.
>inb4 too lazy to take a screenshot
>>
Can anyone help me to get shadow of morodor working, it simply won't launch at all.
>>
>>60154110
Just remember to change your system clock to bypass cert warnings.
>>
sup /fglt/. running debian with openbox right now aka bunsenlabs. pretty comfy, been thinking about switching to arch for better documentation, what's your opinion?
>>
>>60154306
No need to change if it just weeks imo
>>
>>60154311
That's true and why I haven't switched. I am going to wait until this summer when I have a lot of free time and switch to arch then to improve my linux-foo.
>>
>>60154289
Will do.
>>
>>60154156
stealth
>>
What do any of you think would be a good DE to use on a Tablet PC with a low resolution? Specifically X201t tablet.
>>
fuck guys. I messed up big time.
>openssl update fucks my shit up in arch
>because I'm a retard, delete the library that was causing the problem (libcrypto.so)
>pacman won't do anything because missing shared library libcrypto.so.1.1
How do I fix it from the live usb? I would copy the file, but it doesn't seem to exist in the live usb.
>>
I can't help but read /fglt/ as "faglet".

You're all fucking faglets.
>>
>>60154879
It's pronounced "foogy looty"
>>
File: akari bleh.jpg (43KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
akari bleh.jpg
43KB, 690x460px
I spent all afternoon upgrading to debian stretch.

I almost wish I didn't, because the defaults were pretty shit and I just spent several hours re-editing configs to get the old behavior back.
Easily, the worst change was auto-locking the screen after suspending, they added light-locker as a hard dependency on all of xfce4 so you have to disable it or else it takes 15 seconds for the os to come back after sleep.
>>
KDE is trying to murder my CPU.

Is there a DE that wont try to cuck my motherboard? Cant stand having my CPU getting assfucked everytime i want to search for something.
>>
>>60154974
What else went wrong?

I'm actually interested in this because I have two machines and a couple VMs running Jessie and I'm a bit nervous about eventually having to upgrade them when they release Stretch
>>
>>60154034
NixOS is very stable but doesn't have the man power behind it such as Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora. Not that it makes much of a difference just it bothers some people, however the Nix package manager is the best there is due to portability. You can use it on GNU/Linux, MacOS and FreeBSD. It is useful for when a particular distribution doesn't package a certain software (e.g. MPV in Fedora).
>>
I have a compaq 18 Keys Keyboard.

Had to take out from the trash, clean it and rewire several pieces of the circuit sheet.

Now i want to use the Multimedia keys but nothing out of +vol/-vol mute sleep play,stop,next,prev,pause Works. I got the official driver for windows and got keybindings for the rest, sadly i want to make it work on linux too.

Is there a Tool to make it work on Linux?
I tried with LinEAK but i cant make the motherfucker compile after adding 6 preheader files the uploader forgot and i sincerely surrendered with that route.
>>
>>60153953
What's wrong with bash?
>>
My gf is leaving me .
To cheer myself up decided to buy a new laptop and install distribution I haven't tried yet.

What laptop should I buy and what distribution should I install?

Laptop should have
-good linux support, obviously
-good display
-if battery can last at least 3-4 hours, good for me

Now I'm on old asus x54c
-shit battery lifa
-shit display
-doesn't work bluetooth
-slow wifi
>>
>>60155086
Debian is for cucks so that'll suit you nicely.
>>
>>60155100
oh man, REGT! god halp him recover!
>>
>>60152443
How do I enable smooth scrolling for steam and stuff. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it isnt.
>>
>>60155100
I was thinking more like SourceMage, gentoo, funtoo
And don't think this word applies to me.
>>
>>60155156
Or maybe linux from scratch
Just not sure how stable any of these are
>>
>>60155156
I'm joking with you friend, I hope you don't have too much of a bad time.

Try NixOS? The Nix package manager is the best there is, but I don't know much about software availability for it.
>>
>>60155024
stretch breaks virtualbox, you need to uninstall it, and it's no longer available in the repos so you have to add it to your sources.list and add their public key.
https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox

exim4 is set to do some kind of DNS fuckery at startup and adds about 7 seconds to your userland startup time according to systemd-analyze
you need to disable it with dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

audio controls might not work unless you add the pulseaudio panel plugin
the wallpaper chooser seems to have less features, i can't lower the brightness anymore and I haven't figured out how to change picture directory
xfce4-terminal seems to have switched to Adwaita theme permanently, it clashes with the rest of the system if you use a weird color scheme
DejaVu font family has been renamed to Noto font family.
nano 2.7.x breaks a lot of .nanorc stuff from 2.2.1, you'll have to toy with it again
>>
>>60155086
if you have the money, get a dell xps 13 or 15. They're pretty expensive but worth it. The 13 is more portable, but only has a dual core CPU and soldered RAM. Both come with 1080p or 4k displays and they all have insane battery life. (6-10 hours of basic web browsing/video
It drops to about 2 hours of compiling though.) They have pretty good support for gnu/linux (they actually sell the 13 with it preinstalled). 15 support is a bit worse, but still fine: the current version of nvidia's driver is broken for the GPU, but the nvidia beta and older driver aren't. Just install one of those, install bumblebee and it should work. I'm really happy with my xps 15.
As for distro, it really barely matters. They're all good. I like Debian, but for either of those laptops you really need a new kernel (everything works in 4.10, but they have a few problems on older kernels. Debian stable is unusable with the default kernel because it doesn't support the hardware. I use Arch on it because it has good support for bumblebee, and installing the newest kernel, nvme kernel patches and Nvidia dkms beta driver are all easy. I wouldn't recommend gentoo or any of those type of distros.
>>
File: 1490355731629.jpg (87KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490355731629.jpg
87KB, 960x640px
>>60155204
I'm OK, at least no one will interrupt me now.

Hm... I might just check all these and pick one.

Though, casting spells in SourceMage does sound cool.
>>
>>60155211
>virtualbox
couldn't they have just left it in non-free? bleh, guess I get to see if they ever unfucked KVM and virt-manager. I tried like two or three times over the past few years, it never worked right if I wanted to run a graphical environment in a DE. Or rather it worked, just unbearably slowly and with enormous CPU usage, vbox never did that.

oh well, at least I only have to do this shit once every two and a half years or so
>>
>>60155258
Source mage is shit, just stay away. It's a shittier distro that tries to do what gentoo does, but is worse in basically every way. It also has hardly any users compared to gentoo and will probably die eventually, plus there are far fewer packages. the best distros are Debian, Arch, Gentoo and Slackware. Everything else is pretty much either garbage, or controlled by corporate shills. As for laptop, just get a used (t420) thinkpad and save yourself some money.
>>
https://lwn.net/Articles/720724/
KERNEL 4.11 RELEASED
available for Arch when?
>>
File: 1493536063775.jpg (101KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1493536063775.jpg
101KB, 1200x1200px
where should I lurk to learn how to install linux on unbranded chinese devices like this?
>>
File: $_57.jpg (86KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
86KB, 800x800px
>>60155479 (cont)
That's a portable video player/ebook reader by the way, here is another similar thing.
They've potential to be used as screen for mini PCs or just as mini PC on their own, even if they're very limited in performance.
I was thinking about getting a reverse-engineering kit and try hacking one of these but if someone already tried and posted the results online, I wouldn't mind checking them.
>>
>>60155251
Having dedicated graphics does sound nice.
But I would rather build PC for the money than spend that much on laptop.
These are nice though, doesn't have shit gaming design.

>>60155280
I might try slackware then. (but gonna check SourceMage anyways!)
I never had thinkpad, that little red thing does look comfy, I don't like leaving my fingers from keyboard.
Are there any thinkpads with dedicated graphics?
>>
>>60154337

You can learn the same things on Debian as you can learn on Arch. Kill yourself, idiot.
>>
>>60155479
a couple of months ago, i spammed /fglt/ with my install of gentoo on a synet07526.

for wondermedia processors this place is good
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vt8500-wm8505-linux-kernel

for U-boot , steps 3~5
>https://github.com/linux-wmt/linux-vtwm/wiki/Build-the-source
>>
name="anus"
version="stallman"
tar -xvf ~/Downloads/'"$name"-"$version".tar.bz2' -C ~/Downloads/"$name"-"$version"/

tar: /home/anon/Downloads/"$name"-"$version".tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

why it doesn't werk
>REEEEEEEE
>>
>>60155573
thinkpads aren't that good anymore. newer models can have dedicated gpu (t series and p seris). t470p is the only one with a decent quad core cpu that isn't ridiculously heavy and thick. Also, all of the thinkpas still have maxwell gpus. The xps 15 has a pascal gtx 1050 which is very good compared to maxwell.

Slackwae is an interesting distro. It doesn't have dependency resolution, but most libs you need are already installed. You install packages either from a slack install disc, or use the community slackbuilds repo to make it. I find it very hard to use for daily stuff but it's good for servers.
>>
I'm setting up a new laptop. can someone here suggest a good $HOSTNAME?
>>
>>60155747
I was going to help you, but then use said
>>REEEEEEEE
so I don't want to anymore.
>>
>>60155781
what kind of stuff interests you?

i use kancolle characters, cause i have shit tastes in boats.
>>
>>60155782
this. dumb frogposter.
>>
File: loser.png (551KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
loser.png
551KB, 919x720px
>>60152443
With Fedora 24 about to lose support, I gotta ask: Fedora, Hardened Gentoo, or Arch?

Fedora:
> Just werks
> Secure ootb
> lots of bloatware, though

Hardened Gentoo:
> Slightly more secure than Fedora
> Source-based
> Shitload of configuring though, including SELinux which I don't have a fucking clue how to configure

Arch:
> compromise between just werks and compiling from source
> familiar package manager
> probably the least secure of the three though

What do?
>>
>>60155800
>frogposter
i dont see any frog posted nigger
>>
>>60155782
well fuck you then pretencious cunt
>>
#notallfrogs
>>
>"""free software"""
>uses compilers instead of interpreters
What did they mean by this?
>>
File: greenismypecker.jpg (158KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
greenismypecker.jpg
158KB, 768x1024px
>>60155964
>suck my dick
>>
File: 1458708833033.jpg (294KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1458708833033.jpg
294KB, 1024x768px
When i got up this morning i lost my root access. So i couldn't do shit. With a lot of forum reading and cursing the Gods i got it back. But how can something like this happen? I can't remember doing anything weird.
>>
>>60153352
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#Wayland_sessions
>>
>>60156162
Did you forget your root password?

>>60156002
Even thought I know it's GIMP, I choose to believe that's real.

>>60155824
Forgot to mention that since GRSecurity sperged out, configuring it is no longer a factor in whatever decision I make.
>>
>>60156236
>Did you forget your root password?
No. I could login but not use the software manager or anything else important. I was out the sudo group.
>>
File: 1490495584702.jpg (60KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490495584702.jpg
60KB, 480x480px
>still not 4.11 on void

MUH ROLLING RELEASE

FOR NOTHING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>60156383
it came out literally four hours ago you nigger
calm down
>>
>>60156395
They owe it to me for using their distro for free. 30 minutes or less should be the minimum standard what a joke.
>>
>>60152443
>Excuse me, where are your open source laptop bags?
>>
>>60156415
void is the best distro
I just wish it packaged Scala. Then I might be able to use it for work.
>>
>>60156415
Better than Arch.
>>
>>60156383
>not using GNU/Linux-next
enjoy your """"""""""""""""""""""stable""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
File: 1482323960979.png (652KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482323960979.png
652KB, 1280x960px
How does GNU/Linux handle Windows file attributes? Like hidden/system/read-only?
On compatible file system like FAT/FAT32/NTFS
>>
>>60156593
It screams 'YOLO' then gives ownership to any user that wants to move/copy/modify files!
>>
>>60156818
I lol'd
Pretty much.
>>
>>60156818
Are you suggesting that windows would do anything differently if it tried to handle another operating system's filesystem?

Oh wait, it can't even mount them in the first place.
>>
File: 1484942341989.jpg (1MB, 2667x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1484942341989.jpg
1MB, 2667x4000px
Anyone know why grub mkconfig would produce a syntax error on line 177?
>>
>>60157104
meant 117*
>>
>>60156593
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how file permissions work.

If you took a hdd with a windows installation and plugged it into another windows machine, you think anything is going to be read-only?
Even if it is, you can just change all the permissions to whatever you like, as your user mounted the drive so you OWN all of it, as far as windows is concerned.

System files are only considered system files if they are relevant to the OS that is currently running. Windows system files on a second drive are no different to any other file.
>>
>>60154110
Budgie looks more appealing every time i see a new pic of it
>>
>>60157116
OK, so If a file was created with hidden attribute on windows, how do you unhidden it from Linux?
>>
>>60157147
Unhidden as in so you can view it with a file manager?
You don't need to, it's already unhidden.

Unhidden as in change the permissions so that it'll be visible in windows?
You can't, linux doesn't access the windows permissions clusterfuck.
>>
i'm trying to learn vim
so far I know i a v hjkl o yp e and $0
what's the next priority thing to learn
>>
>>60157221
>Unhidden as in so you can view it with a file manager?
That's the thing, file manger doesn't see it in the first place, I thought the file had a dot in the beginning of the file name, but it was just blank space the Alt+160 character.

>linux doesn't access the windows permissions clusterfuck
What about different file manger? something like Midnight commander running with WINE.
>>
>>60157109
117 of which file in /etc/grub.d?

also worksafe board.
>>
>>60157302
>That's the thing, file manger doesn't see it in the first place
Can you see it in a terminal with ls -la?

As for changing the settings, you could try running this in wine, but I have no idea how that'll play out.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx

Also worth reading:
>There can't be an exact equivalent, since Linux and DOS/Windows use attributes for different purposes, and the security model is different
https://superuser.com/questions/106181/equivalent-of-chmod-to-change-file-permissions-in-windows
>>
>>60157339
yes exactly
>>
>>60157339
i guess i should say also im trying to encrypt my hard as outlined in this webpage:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Encrypted_boot_partition_.28GRUB.29

Im following the instructions for an encrypted bootloader but then i ran into this problem.
>>
>>60157221
Hidden in windows is an attribute, on gnu/Linux, you hide things by renaming with a leading "." .
I have always been able to see the hidden windows files on gnu/linux, why isn't it working for you?
>>
>>60157339
and im not sure but the error may be pointing to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>60156593
:wq
:q!
Just use vimtutor and learn as you go, forcing yourself to occasionally do simple things with it and you'll learn in no time.
>>
>>60157503
Nah dude, I'm just saying he can't change how it displays under windows via linux.
You can make it do whatever you want in linux, but that wont affect how it displays running under windows.

DESU this isn't an operating system specific thing, as said in >>60157116 if you mount a non-booting drive in any OS you can view whatever you like, but you can't necessarily change the permissions when if you boot from it.
>>
>>60157501
Post your /etc/default/grub
>>
>>60157700
grep ^[^#] /etc/default/grub

would be enough
>>
>>60157710
Yes, whatever floats your boat
>>
new arch install

i installed the nvidia driver and gnome
when i enable gdm and reboot gnome isnt starting and instead my screen starts to flicker
what did i do wrong?
>>
>>60157700
>>60157710
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=/dev/md0:cryptroot:allow-discards root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot"
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
>>
>>60157700
>>60157710
>>60157771
nope i actually meant this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="... cryptdevice=UUID=<device-UUID>:lvm ..."
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

I dont know how to resolve this issue so i just went with the simpler option for encryption.. so i can use syslinux.
>>
>>60157796
I don't see anything wrong with that
What's line 117 in /etc/default/grub or /boot/grub/grub.cfg?
>>
>>60157766
Try forcing the Xorg backend. Wayland is now used by default for Nvidia cards but it has still some problems.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Use_Xorg_backend
>>
Hello people. Where can a sucker like me that using Linux Mint for four months learn more? I know the basic things. Are there websites or Youtube video's that will help me understand more about Linux? Babby's first step in Linux. This forum crawling is getting me nowhere.
>>
>>60157857
>Youtube video
Stop reading there. You should never learn CS with videos.
>>
>>60157876
CS?
Here we go again. Where do i begin?
>>
How the fuck. Do I tell xdg-open to open .pdf files with zathura, instead of gimp?
>>
In mpv running
mpv tv://
would open a window with livefeed of the webcam.
how do I stream it over local network?
>>
>>60157827
>>60157827
give me 1 minute because i already rebooted and started over but im almost back to where i started and i will post all relevant config files that could generate this line 117 syntax error.
>>
>>60155021
Budgie my dude.
>>
>>60157827
Line 117 is empty but the preceeding line is "### EN /etc/grub.d/10_linux###" and following line is "## BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###"
>>
>>60157827
and i just noticed in my grub.cfg there is a UUID that does not correspond to anything that is displayed by "blkid"
>>
>>60157857
https://www.linux.com/learn/complete-beginners-guide-Linux
>>
>>60158992
>.com
Do you really think I will follow that commercial link?
>>
>>60159014
Better option? pls share
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>60159014
>>
>>60158992
>giving the linux foundation clicks
>>
>>60152467
I wish i worked at a computer shop so i could try to sell him norton antivirus and windows 10
>>
what is the best tar
bz gz xz?
>>
>>60159131
Do you have a better option?
>>
>>60159153
The best for what?
>>
>>60159183
Sorry for the blunt question, but I'm new here and it's not explained in the info. So, what is rice? Why are people here ricers and why are some things ricey and some not? Thanks!
>>
>>60159222
>what is rice?
The favorite food for Chinese people.
>ricers
Non Chinese people who marry Chinese people to eat rice.
>why are some things ricey and some not?
ricey means it comes from China.
>>
What are your opinions on Linux Mint? I see a couple of different responses ranging from loving it to hating it.
>>
>>60159268
There's not reason to use it. Security wise it's a colander, and has no reasons over any other user-friendly distro.
>>
File: 789656744789.jpg (112KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
789656744789.jpg
112KB, 648x486px
>>60159268
>>
>>60159268
Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is already based on Debian, which is not based on anything. The Mint """"developers"""" essentially repackage the hard work of both the Debian and Ubuntu devs and sell it as their own.
Now it's still free software, so they are allowed to do that. But it means that they don't really have a clue about how to make a distro from scratch, or else they would do that. Also, since it's based on based on source, package updates and security fixes will travel through 2 different distros before they reach Mint
Then there is the issue of nonfree codecs. Debian doesn't ship nonfree software by default, and Mint "fixes" this by saying YOLO and going against Debian's principles. Again, free software allows them to do it. But it again shows that all they do is piggyback off the work of others and mindlessly make changes they don't really understand.
An alternative would be, for example, to write a bash script for Debian which:
- installs Cinnamon
- changes the colorscheme to green
- enables nonfree repos and installs codecs

instead they have to divert interest and community participation away from Debian in order to please their egos and have their own """""distro""""".

And to say something positive about Mint:
a friend of mine, who previously was a Windows user, installed it and likes it. I'm happy that she is using Linux in some form, and I hope she eventually outgrows Mint. But I won't push her.
>>
>>60159319
Dank je wel anon! Ik heb hier zo veel aan. Het proberen te begrijpen. En ik snap het nu.

love
>>
>>60159319
Oh shit.
In English now.

Thank you anon. You told me a lot of new things. Your post made me understand how the different distributions work.

Love.
>>
File: 1475166714747.png (76KB, 1497x2097px) Image search: [Google]
1475166714747.png
76KB, 1497x2097px
jesus christ

>For one week in 2012, Facebook ran an experiment on some of its users in which it altered the algorithms it used determine which status updates appeared in the news feed of nearly 700,000 randomly selected users based on the post’s emotional content.

>Posts were determined to be either negative or positive and Facebook wanted to see if it could make the selected group sad by showing them more negative posts in their feed. It deemed it could.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/leaked-document-reveals-facebook-conducted-research-to-target-emotionally-vulnerable-and-insecure-youth/news-story/d256f850be6b1c8a21aec6e32dae16fd
>>
>>60159392
Could you repeat this in spanish?
>>
>>60159425
>current ear
>using facebook
>>
>>60159437
Gracias Anon! Tengo tanto. Tratar de entender. Y ahora lo entiendo.

amor
>>
>>60159268
ubuntu made normie friendly
>looks like windows
>acts like windows
>>
>>60159474
>plug my headphone in
>no sound
>plug it out
>sound

Where else can this happen but Linux?
>>
>>60159524
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60159528
haha yeah.
sorry
>>
>>60159524
works on my machineâ„¢
>>
>>60159557
So i have to install Windows to get some sound in my ears.
>>
>>60159576
No, why don't you tell us in detail what's happening with what, so someone can help you?
>>
>>60159642
>plug my headphone in
>no sound
>plug it out
>sound over speakers

I am really tired of Linux not doing the basic things. This is bullshit from 1995. And it is still here. How can you ever trust Linux?
>>
>>60159707
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60159707
What are you using. What system. ALSA, Pulse? No one here has a crystal ball. I repeat, works on my machineâ„¢
>>
>>60159707
Just because you aren't used to it, doesn't mean its bad. Read docs so you know how to do it.
>>
>>60159707
install ubunut
>>
>>60159707
Don't use Linux as a noob on a desktop.
>>
>>60159756
This. BSD is so much better.
>>
>>60159756
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60159707
stop using pulseaudio you cuck
>>
>>60159786
What if I'm using Alpine?
>>
>>60159923
You shouldn't because Alpine is not a desktop oriented distribution, while still being fucking nice though.
>>
>>60159956
>fucking nice
busybox is a broken pos
>>
>>60159901
this is a thing. alternatives?
>>
>>60159901
Stop trolling.
>>60160000
Stop listening to trolls.
>>
>>60160000
nothing, pulseaudio is just a shitty audio server for alsa
just use pure alsa
if you are an need an audio server for some reason, use jack
>>
>>60160000
if you use systemd, you should get rid of it aswell
>>
>>60159713
>>60159728
>>60159745
>>60159756
>>60159771
>friendly gnu/linux thread
if you were actually trying to alienate any and all newcomers with responses like these, you couldn't be doing a better job. Actually you might trying to do just that.
Plugging headphones in should work on any and all machines running GNU/Linux, no matter how inexperienced the user. If it doesn't, that's a failure of the Linux developer community, not the user.

But in this case it might just be OP trying to plug in """"""""headphones"""""""" via usb that actually are a headset with VR functionality that was made in china and only works with Windows XP drivers.
>>
File: 1493170335638.png (183KB, 308x539px) Image search: [Google]
1493170335638.png
183KB, 308x539px
>removed libssl without thinking twice about it
>sudo broke
>everything broke
>can't reinstall libssl because libssl removed libcrypto
>libcrypto is a pacman dependency
what do? tried mounting the partition from a live cd and downloading it, and after it seems it worked, it hasn't. if i chroot into /mnt the same thing happens, i can't use pacman or anything else due to libcrypto and the fact that it broke (or removed) /etc/sudo.conf for some reason.
>>
>>60160056
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60160056
Works on my machine.
>>
>>60160059
Unpack the libcrypto and libssl manually under / from a live cd and then reinstall them with pacman and --force.
>>
>>60160059
>>removed libssl without thinking twice about it
why?
>>
>>60160015
this
>>60159707
plug headphones in, unmute them and fuck off
>>
>>60160102
I might have confused it with another package, anyhow, how do I go about this >>60160086 ?
>>
>>60160131
Okay I just tested this shit again on a vm, just installing openssl breaks your sudo.conf... what ?
>>
>>60160056
>If it doesn't, that's a failure of the Linux developer community, not the user.
What makes you think that all computers have to act the same way? That's just like saying it's GIMPs fault for not acting like photoshop.
>>
>>60152443
>what are some cool programs?
>doesn't list the wikipage
Should we work on it or something
>>
>>60160203
the archwiki list is long enough
>>
>>60160226
I'd imagine it's actually too long, since all it does is list as far as I can tell literally every program available in /core and a third of the ones in the AUR
>>
File: 1475373492014.png (37KB, 200x528px) Image search: [Google]
1475373492014.png
37KB, 200x528px
>tfw gentoo is a facebook used
>>
>>60160237
there're categories, users aren't stupid
>>
>>60160288
For new users having a trillion different options listed is breddi overwhelming
Like look at all the goddamn options they give you under video watching
and then think of how many are worth shit
>>
>>60160288
>users aren't stupid
[cititation needed]
>>
>>60160308
>worth shit
4 u
>>
>>60160343
>actually implying SMPlayer is worth shit
>actually implying anyone uses Dragon or whatever else is in that list instead of MPV
wew
>>
>>60160308
I don't see the problem. If you're using (gnu/)linux, you should be able to do critical thinking and choose what do you want between different things.
>>
>>60160413
Yeah except the only way for a user who hasn't tried any to tell that only mpv is actually good and vlc and dragon and deepin movie and kaffine and shit are arse is to try all of them
>>
>>60160056
>if you were actually trying to alienate any and all newcomers with responses like these, you couldn't be doing a better job.

Know that i love you.
>>
Quick question: installed ubuntu, however it won't boot because tpm_crb can't request region for resource blabla. Thoughts?
>>
>>60153405
>>60153440
I second this idea
>>
>>60155699
Holy shit, thanks dude
>>
>>60155280
Nope, sourcemage mkes easy a lot of things like upgrading kernel and compilation
>>
>>60160363
SMplayer is nice though, you just need to change the theme so it looks nice.
>>
>>60159425
Nigga this is old news, support GNU Social!
>>
File: smgl.png (16KB, 327x192px) Image search: [Google]
smgl.png
16KB, 327x192px
reminder to test source mage on a virtual machine at least, don't miss this experience

a few commands to upgrade your system after installing
cast smgl-setup
man smgl-setup
sorcery update
scribe update
cast smgl-archspecs
sorcery
sorcery rebuild
cast -r linux
makewhatis
>>
>>60160751
what's sourcemage
>>
>>60160765
The best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use.
>>
>>60160773
It's not even 1.0 yet
>>
File: 1411485284755.png (89KB, 763x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1411485284755.png
89KB, 763x1037px
This laptop's on the way out, the SSD is encrypted with the usual dmcrypt/luks though.

If it dies and I remove the SSD and put it inside a different laptop, will it just werk? What do I need to do in advance?
>>
>>60161298
There's no reason it wouldn't work, as all keys and such should be stored on the drive. You'll still need to enter your password, obviously.
>>
>>60152443
#######################################
- NEW /wg/ GNU/Linux WALLPAPER THREAD -
#######################################

>>>/wg/6913124
>>
So i'm looking to get a laptop to learn how to Linux. How do i find out, if it's 4G/LTE is going to work? I can't find any info or drivers for it. HP ProBook 450 G4 with HP lt4132 LTE 4G modem.
>>
>>60161602
It should just work but check for other peoples experiences on google
>>
>>60161602
If it's recommended by FSF it will work. Just lurk the fsf website
example
>https://www.fsf.org/news/libreboot-x200-laptop-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom
>>
good thread
>>
File: xfce.png (12KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
xfce.png
12KB, 600x338px
man XFCE is so great. definitely isnt FULLY functional out of the box what with thunar and terrible compositing & tearing. but you can fix both of those things in less than 10 minutes.

is there really any reason to use something like GNOME when xfce exists? don't tell me it's only for weak computers - i'm running it on my 6700k/16gb ram desktop.

that being said, has anyone had any experience using other WM's within xfce? i've been thinking about using openbox instead of xfwm.
>>
>>60162201
>compositing
What does it mean?
>>
Guys, how do I install the Nix package manager on Fedora? I want to use it for all of my multimedia software :D
>>
curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/fcc8122e3d1c1d0d315a8861818f6372/raw/92c94193253a838525095569fa6c6cc95bf0e2f2/2B
>>
>>60162251
And?
>>
>>60162201
well, maybe someone likes gnome. But you're right, lightweight setups are still good for powerful computers, on KDE(which uses marginally less memory than gnome, even) I'd regularly have my system hang with firefox with a gorillion tabs open. Not had that so much on a WM setup. the same idea would go for if you use , say, krita and turn the memory settings up, for example.

Unrelatedly, if I wanted to use ksh autism, why would I use mksh over the port of openbsds pdksh? Mksh is just a fork of oksh with some things they mirOS devs wanted, but mirOS is practically abandonware unlike openbsd, plus oksh is GPLV3, according to my package manager.
>>
File: wayland-screenshot.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
wayland-screenshot.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
How to imrove my script?
>>
>>60162319
No one likes you dmitry please stop
>>
>>60162319
not reinvent the wheel next time maybe?
>>
is there a good, up-to-date recommended linux software list?
I've seen the installgentoo wiki list, but I want more.

If you want, recommend software to a linux noobie using mint.
I've used linux plenty before, but I'm finally balls deep using linux as my full-time laptop OS. Terminal apps are also cool.
>>
>>60162290
curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/be890c614a347081b62f364b67e76d2b/raw/a29b7226c36623c7555d1a3cfa22fed0771ca839/pikachu.ascii
>>
>>60162356
install software you want to use. don't go installing shit for the sake of it
>>
>>60162201
>you can fix both of those things in less than 10 minutes
How?
>>
>>60162353
It's not a wheel.
neofetch and screenfetch it's shitcode 40 times longer.
>>60162343
I don't care.
>>
>>60162398
>(sudo) [package manager's removal command] thunar
>(sudo) [package manager's installing command] pcmanfm
>(sudo) [package manager's installing command] compton
>disable composition in xfce settings manager
>add compton -b to startup
It actually takes less than 10 minutes
>>
Does anyone else have problems with the Void repo?
>>
>>60162552
That's normal senpai
>>
>>60162552
what kind?
>>
>>60162583
Certificate verification failed for /CN=repo.voidlinux.eu
SSL_connect returned 1
ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://repo.voidlinux.eu/current/x86_64-repodata': Operation not permitted

Never happened before.
>>
>plug my headphone in
>no sound
>plug it out
>sound over speakers

Wow! This is an alternative for Windows! This is what people want when buying a laptop!

WOW!
FANTASTIC!
>>
>>60162610
did you try sorting it instead of shitposting about it
>>
>>60162634
No, i am pretty much done after 5 hours trying to get working. This is not how you get work done.
>>
>>60162659
what work do you do that must have sound? and why did you not test all these things before install gnu/linux??
>>
>>60162610
>>60162659
I bet you're using pulse audio.
I warned you about pulse audio bro. I told you dog.
>>
>>60162680
Are you fucking kidding me?

>you don't need sound

What a fine computer! FUUUCK!
>>
>>60162699
I think you did.
>>
>>60162714
i didn't say you don't need sound. i asked what you need sound for "to get work done", nor did you say why you didn't test these things before installing.
>>
>>60162736
It is a bit shit if you have no audio on a new laptop. And this is a Linux thing.
>>
>>60152958
The Perl Programming Language, buy at Thriftbooks.com. For the rest, google, Perlmonks, Stackoverflow.
>>
>>60162610
what distro? what headphones?
>>
>>60162782
my point still stands, why did you not test your setup before installing it? you only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>60155021
Lxde
>>
>>60162816
Why did i not install Windows so i have sound?
Working on it.
>>
>>60162948
so this 'new laptop' came with linux you say?
>>
File: smugtux.png (460B, 40x40px) Image search: [Google]
smugtux.png
460B, 40x40px
>>60162370
Last one, I just wanted to check my ascii converter
curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/be33b06d693374a236bbc9bbb3c90a78/raw/2c9d7a9e0bab8616be28c93b23de240129283a1f

Any sprite suggestion ?
>>
>>60162975
I asked them to not deliver with it with Windows.

My mistake.
>>
>>60163011
did you even bother to check hardware compatibility?
you should know the hardware support is lacking more on linux than it is on windows, then get suprised when new hardware doesn't work how you want it to. and if you say it took 5 whole hours with no resolution and it is stopping you from working, why do you not go over to an OS that just werks for your setup?
>>
>>60162599
Huh, I Havnt had any issue like that either.
You should go to #xbps on freenode and ask the devs about that, I think.
>>
Trying to get a Debian Live USB working.

Used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.7.7.exe with debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-kde-desktop.iso.

I am using a Medion Akoya S2218 with windows 10.

I went into the BIOS and disabled boot security. Then I changed the boot device order so the USB was first.

Still just boots to windows as normal. Help?
>>
>>60162301
answer me /g/, im pretty sure it was this place that told me to use mksh so I want an explanation
>>
>>60163042
It's probably not even a hardware problem, he just needs to fiddle around in pavucontrol until he finds the right output channel.

Probably.
>>
>>60162493
Why not just use LXDE?
>>
>>60163062
As far as I can see the let's encrypt cert expires today. Tomorrow I'll look into it and if still doesn't work I'll ask there
>>
>>60162610
>>60159707
>>60159524
How many fucking times are you gonna post this shit?
>>
>>60163070
sounds like your image wasn't copied to USB correctly. Consider:
- comparing checksums of the .iso to offical ones
- using a different tool for writing, the one you use doesn't seem all that great. Most people use rufus, this seems to be it's official site:
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
by "disabled boot security" do you mean Secure Boot? If not, you need to disable that.

when you do everything correctly all you need to do is change boot order and your system *will* boot from USB.
>>
>>60163110
I can issue 5 commands, or install a new DE.
Hm. One wonders...
>>
>>60163196
I think his point is you could just pacman / portage / apt-get LXDE instead of XFCE
>>
>>60163196

Basically this >>60163244

I mean from the beginning, why not just use LXDE instead of XFCE
>>
>>60163169
Hash is correct.

>by "disabled boot security" do you mean Secure Boot?
Yes

I will try Rufus, will I need to to something extra to the USB as it is already formatted?
>>
>>60163244
>>60163266
But I want to use XFCE, not LXDE.
>>
>>60163367
yes but why
>>
>>60163379
Because individuals are capable of subjective thought.
>>
>>60163387
Can you prove such wild claims?
>>
>>60163321
Used rufus, double checked boot order and Secure Boot, still not working.
>>
>>60163409
Yes, but I don't want to.
>>
for some reason im having trying to mount /boot on an arch installation
>>
>>60163571
Did you do mkdir /mnt/boot?
>>
When I installed Debian (stretch) I chose the GNOME task. Now I want to get rid of everything GNOME and switch to Xfce. Is a complete reinstall my only choice?
>>
>>60163590
Or could I do it with tasksel?
>>
>>60163519
Maybe something to do with BIOS UEFI?
>>
>>60163590
>Is a complete reinstall my only choice?
Not necessarily. DE's can live with each other, just select the one you like while logging in in your DM.

Me, personally, I'd reinstall.
>>
>>60163590
The default debian install with xfce comes with a bunch of non-xfce specific utilities, like transmission, gimp, risretto image viewer, mousepad, etc.

Does the gnome install have those too?
>>
New thread:
>>60163698
>>60163698
>>60163698
>>
I recently upgraded my PC. From a GTX660 to a GTX1060 and from an old 1000:1 Monitor to a 3000:1.
Now My probel is: the contrast is way too high, slightly dark things are outright black.
But the problem doesn't exist on my Windows installation, I even confirmed it with comparisons between games that run on both systems, but I don't have any games that tax the system hard enough to confirm whether there are serious perfomance issues. But I did notice that Blender doesn't offer CUDA rendering on Linux, but on Windows and also, it crashes alot on linux. Since I use my Linux installation to edit photos and videos, it's a big deal breaker.
i suspected my New monitor to be the culprit but I ruled that out now.
So now I suspect my Graphics card.
I saw under "additional drivers" that my PC is using the open source xorg driver, so I switched to the proprietary. After being asked to input my password and confirming, the additional drivers window goes all gray and doesn't come back until a system error, pic related is a part of the Details
How do I resolve this to install the newest driver and get my graphics running properly (hopefully)?
>>
>>60162319
code pls
>>
>>60163589
Yes.. does that make two boot directories? I am a little confused about how files directories on /mnt become /.
>>
What music player do you guys use
>>
>>60164137
vlc
>>
>>60164137
mpv
>>
File: stallman-v-goat.jpg (9KB, 180x247px) Image search: [Google]
stallman-v-goat.jpg
9KB, 180x247px
>>60152443
Does that fat fucking hippy faggot not care about the fact that the bag he is looking at is probably proprietary and has been made in some slave shop in Asia?
>>
>>60164255
pretending it's 2005 all over again
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.