[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac Programs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

File: SwitchingAppsOSX.Small_.jpg (87KB, 675x422px) Image search: [Google]
SwitchingAppsOSX.Small_.jpg
87KB, 675x422px
Had a good thread last time, thanks to your recs I've gotten
Cog music player (Only one that allows folder autism)
Transmission Torrents
IINA (Just werks, don't have codec autism requirements)
BetterZip
Libre (Too used to it to switch)
And a few other minor tools
Still a Mac pleb, but the learning curve is babby mode, on my way to toddlercore soon!

Continue to rec and r8 spicy Mac Programs and autism general, thanks again /g/
>>
>>60112865
VLC for videos
Ulysses for notes
PlayOnMac for all your gaming purposes
CleanMyMac
>>
File: 1491279901112.png (256KB, 407x557px) Image search: [Google]
1491279901112.png
256KB, 407x557px
>>60112865
>>
what about office suites? the stock apps sucks (numbers, presentation, etc)
>>
>>60114730
Microsoft Office just werx unlike Apple trash. :^)
>>
File: 1466435223983.jpg (36KB, 387x527px) Image search: [Google]
1466435223983.jpg
36KB, 387x527px
>>60115025
Any good app for browsing pixiv?

>>60114730
I love it. The UI is surprisingly good comparing to the windows version.
>>
What are some good homebrew packages?
Only have mpv, youtube-dl & ffmpeg.
>>
>>60112865
>>60112906
>>60114730
>>60115025
>>60115134
>>60115179
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/

100% serious btw, me and my boyfriend love going there for mac tech support. /g/ just can't handle aesthetic and fashionable things.
>>
>>60115179
You can get homebrew cask and install a bunch of application bundles like you would with homebrew
>>
>>60115233
see >>60115225
>>
>>60112865
Little Snitch
>>
>>60115225
Yea because we're not gay, and know how to solve our own problems.
>>
>>60115328
lol yes you are. All macfags suck cocks on a daily basis. If you don't then it means you got conned into buying a mac and will trash/sell it soon.
>>
>>60115434
But what I have is hackintosh though.
>>
>>60115025
hope you rot in federal prison degenerate scum
>>
>>60112865
>>>/lgbt/
>>
Alfred and Hammerspoon are must-haves.
>>
mpv
brew
league of legends
runescape
iterm2
>>
File: 1446224955884.jpg (125KB, 451x492px) Image search: [Google]
1446224955884.jpg
125KB, 451x492px
>>60112865
Install Homebrew and get cmus and a newer version of bash (or zsh if you're a fag). Get Firefox Nightly or Webkit Nightly as your browser. The best terminal emulator is iTerm2.

Sheepshaver Wrapper is also worth looking into if you're into running retro operating systems like Mac OS 8 or 9. Virtualbox is the best for x86 emulation but QEMU works best for stuff like PPC, SPARC, or ARM.
>>
>>60112865
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_OS_X_software

http://sourabhbajaj.com/mac-setup/index.html
>>
>>60112865
AppCleaner for uninstalling things
Spectacle for window snapping
Spark for email
Sidify (paid) if you're lazy and want to rip music from spotify
RightFont (paid) for better font management
>>
Where do you guys get your pirated software?
http://www.macbed.com/ has worked just fine for me in the past.
>>
File: serveimage(6).jpg (4KB, 147x196px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(6).jpg
4KB, 147x196px
>>60112865
>better touch tool for macbooks
>appcleaner
sadly it doesn't do pkgs, so just dig up the recepie
>sophos
false security is also available on os10
>serialbox
good luck finding a legit release
>tinkertool/onyx
or just use the commandline for the childish tweaks
>smb/fancontrol
>gfx
macbooks dedicated card switcher
>mactracker
>decent browser like ff or botnet

iterm2, editors, xcode, brew, [ afloat:'( ]
Nobody needs pathfinder, when there is ranger in some cask and Finder had tabs now.
>>
File: 1486949142608.gif (1024KB, 184x141px) Image search: [Google]
1486949142608.gif
1024KB, 184x141px
>>60112865
Hey there newfriend! :)

Looks like you're a little turned around, but that's okay, I'll help you get back to your people!

Here ya go buddy........

www.reddit.com
>>
>>60118814
I use this one
http://mac-torrent-download.net
>>
>>60118027
whats the secong link for?
>>
>>60114730
OnlyOffice is pretty comfy unlike libre desu
>>
File: 1434502881264.jpg (69KB, 620x622px) Image search: [Google]
1434502881264.jpg
69KB, 620x622px
Does anyone here remember this unintentional comedy gold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QrX047-v-s (skip to 38:31 onwards for the real funny bits)
>>
I can't update to the latest version of OSX because I'm running an old Macbook Pro from 2007 without battery so always connected.

Which new apps should I be looking at to keep on enjoying this machine?
>>
>>60121835
>tfw being on the latest macOS version with a fucking thinkpad
The screen is still shit though.
>>
>>60121827
holy hell
>>
Amphetamine
Spectacle
AppCleaner
The Unarchiver
MPlayerX

Everything else is optional.
>>
>Fish
Alternative terminal shell
>AppCleaner
Cleans out application support files when deleting apps
>Homebrew
Install *nix terminal applications
>ITerm 2
Replacement for Terminal.app
>cmus
Terminal music app. Very speedy when you learn the key commands.
>Pixelmator
Cheaper version of Photoshop. Gets the job done.
>Caffeine
Keeps computer on
>Alfred
Better alternative to Spotlight
>>
File: file.png (27KB, 719x156px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
27KB, 719x156px
>Homebrew
best package manager; combined with homebrew cask you can install basically anything that isn't a retro 2003 port of irssi in fortran
>Mpv
Video player. I'm sure you've seen the threads on /g/ for it. Find a good base config, tweak a bit, and never worry about playback again
>iterm2 3
honestly not necessary if you aren't a tiling power user, but the extra customization options and integrations are really handy
>Alfred
Launchbar. Open anything really fast. Snippets are a nice feature. Buy / "Buy" the powerpack and abuse the shit out of workflows; they're fantastic. I have ones for weather, timers, quick movie lookup, quiver, ssh, file upload, philips hue, and unit conversion. Also, the built in calculator and dictionary are fantastic.
>Spectacle
Window manager. Makes moving things and other window manipulations (size) a breeze.
>Airmail ($)
There's not a whole lot of good email clients for OSX, but airmail is one of the better ones. I also like Mailmate, but it's very much power-user oriented, and it costs many dollarydoos. Airmail is a lot more responsive than mail.app, and thunderbird/postbox use a lot more battery.
>Amphetamine
Menubar toggle to prevent screen from sleeping. It's the modern version of Caffeine which, while functional, is pretty old now, and lacks retina.
>Firefox
Safari is by far the best on battery (competition not event close), it's a mess of security holes, and it doesn't have much support for things you probably take for granted in Chrome/firefox/literally anything that isn't Safari. I like Firefox because Chrome drains battery like a mother, and I have a shitload of tabs at any given time that Firefox manages much better. Also much better for privacy, if that matters.
>The Unarchiver
Best unzip/rar/tar/etc utility
>>
>>60123956
Nice blog mactoddler.
>>
File: file.png (47KB, 717x150px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47KB, 717x150px
>>60123962

Less essential:
>Karabiner
Lets you bind keys contextually. For example, I have a bind set up that lets ctrl+hjkl function as arrow keys when the Alfred bar is on the screen.
>Textual
Only non-shit standalone IRC client. Free if you compile it yourself from its page on github. Weechat and irssi also available in homebrew.
>Bartender
Clean up the menu bar. Let you hide, show, and rearrange icons.
>TotalFinder
Adds a few convenient features to finder. The main one I use is dual-pane.
>Skim
Probably the best/fastest PDF viewer for OSX. I like sumatra more desu, but Skim is adequate. Works well with LaTeX.
>Flux
Remove blue from screen with your timezone. You don't really notice it that much, but if you turn it off at like 3 am you'll burn your eyes out.
>Deluge
My favorite OSX bit torrent client. I use it in thin mode with a remote server. A lot of people like transmission, but I find it lacking. Not to mention less secure if you're going to use public trackers.
>Newsbar
RSS/atom feed in a long vertical strip. Can add keywords to highlight specific items based on interest. I don't think many people use this, but I'm very glad I found it.
>Tweetbot
If you do the twitter. I don't really ever post on twitter, but it's great for live feed on interesting lists.
>nmac.to
Alternative to macbed and mac-torrent-download.
>>
>>60123978
Christ OSX is a steaming pile of shit.

You seriously need all that to make your fruity toddlerOS just function? Holy shit.
>>
>>60124036
>Continue to rec and r8 spicy Mac Programs and autism general, thanks again /g/
>>
>>60124036
this is all useless softwre, except bartender..
also why use flux??
>>
>>60112865
Wrong board.
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>60124060
Only Sierra has that feature. There's plenty of reasons not to upgrade to Sierra.
>>
>>60124099
name one
>>
>>60124099
>doesn't use Sierra
>>
>>60124099
>>60124149
>>60124512
>t. mactoddlers
>>
>>60121827
Gil was a nice guy but not Apple CEO material.

To his credit though he has done some good things throughout the career, other than Apple. For one he invented the CCD, the basis of all scanners, camcorders, and digital cameras.
>>
>>60124745
Actually scratch that, he didn't invent the CCD but he did help test it
>>
Fuck that. Install pkgsrc and do everything in terminal.app.
>>
>>60115588
>>60123956
>>60122306
>Alfred

OP here, I'll admit I'm still a Mac baby, but I didn't notice any substantive difference between Alfred and Spotlight. Is there a functional difference or is it just autismo microsecond gains? Can I not see the power user for the trees?

>>60123956
Good point about Firefox, I've been using Safari just for ease of use, it's fast, lightweight, hard to not get comfortable with, despite it's obvious flaws. It's refreshing after doing the Firefox shuffle as each fork would go to shit/botnet/bloat and cycle into the next one.

Thanks for all the bumps shitposters, I'll have to wait for my iPhone8 to get in before I start guzzlin loads, but your support means a lot. I got this Mac (my first Applel product ever, actually) through an employee's discount, cut the price over half with full upgrades, would have been foolish not take a deal like that. >implying you can get better stats for $500.

I've been trying/researching most of the programs in this thread, thanks again everyone.

>>60114042
Outdated freeprograms that have depreciated, bloated or gone full 'Free Trail' botnet. Mentioned last thread, would be nice if these threads can be used to update the sticky.
>>
>>60118695
>>60119488
>>60122232
>>60122306
>AppCleaner

Apple needs to build into the OS a proper solution to uninstall apps, they could just add it to their Storage Management utility or better yet ask to delete other files associated with the app when dragging to the Trash.
Most people uninstall apps by dragging them to the trash and don't know that other large files related to the app stick around on the drive occupying space.
>>
>>60126233
I was talking to a Mactard friend who was blown away when I told them that Apps instal files. Trying to explain how the Windows concept of 'Program Files', truly may be Toddlers.
>>
Ah fuck. Don't make me want to go back to macOS. I spent one year with it and forced myself to switch, now I'm feeling no different from someone who has to use a different OS than Windows and got used to games.
>>
>>60124099
Still waiting for that one reason
>>
>>60126090
> Alfred
Alfred is more powerful than Spotlight. Spotlight can only search for and open documents and programs. Alfred can do so much more: open, move, delete files, search the web, hold text snippets, automate pretty much anything at all.

Literally the first thing I install on a wiped Mac.
>>
>>60126770
I'm the kind of person that never even uses spotlight, I'm wondering if that would be a thing I would use.
>>
>>60126868
Probably not
>>
>>60126423
but macos is comfier pal
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.