[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wireless Card Decision

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: shite.jpg (43KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
shite.jpg
43KB, 600x600px
Wireless Speed is shitty 300mbps. Thinking of getting a gigabit card. Which is better? USB or PCI/PCIe Wireless? Hardwired isn't exactly an option.
>>
>>60041135
You'd need to have a router that supports those speeds as well, and you will never see advertised wireless bandwidth numbers unless your device is right next to the router with absolutely nothing else interfering or using any 2.4ghz or 5ghz band.
>>
>>60041135
PCI gigabit wireless cards don't exist. PCI-e are flakey and buggy as fuck. USB is the only one I've found that works consistently.
>>
>>60041135
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>60041166
OP here
Wireless speeds are up to 800+Mbps on 5GHz on the AP. Thinking of just making a 100ft CAT5e then.
>>
>>60041135
I bought this one and it works pretty well. No ping spikes or dropouts, signal strength is consistently high. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TQD235C/
>>
>>60041169
>PCI-e are flakey and buggy as fuck

Not really. They basically use the same chipsets as M.2 cards used in laptops and will provide way better latency and performance at high speeds, with minimal CPU usage.
>>
>>60041195
You getting over 100 megabyte network transfer speeds or have a really long distance router then go with CAT5e cabling that'll give you the capability to go up to 125.

I doubt you'll be able to get anything higher as standard Ethernet ports have a limit of one gigabit i.e. 125 megabytes.

If you choose the wireless card you'll need a 5GHz router to go with it.
>>
>>60041365
OP here
I have the 5GHz router, IPv6 support for both LAN and everything. It's just the stupid wireless card capping at 300Megabits/s
>>
>>60041489
Keep in mind that 5 GHz wireless has less signal strength than 2.4 GHz, so if you're doing this from a floor away, you won't get the full connection speed. From the sound of it (100 ft ethernet cable lol) you are pretty far away.
>>
>>60041135
you can also get a powerline ethernet adapter set.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1492990517&sr=8-4&keywords=power+ethernet
>>
>>60041504
OP again
I get the full service, it's just that the router is in the other room. I just like having the extra slack for routing along walls.
>>
>>60041489
Can you tell me what kind of things you would be connected to through your router.

For example internet, another computer, network attached storage.

If you wan't the most flexibility with moving your computer go with the better witless card, if speed is your top priority you can add 25% more throughput capability by using a cable.

800mbps / 4 = 200,

800mbps + 200 = 1gigabit i.e. consumer Ethernet max speed.
>>
>>60041565
I think I'll just go with the cable. All of my other hosts are connected to the LAN1Gbps with CAT5e and I'm the only one on wireless with just 300Mbps bc I cheaped out on my wireless card. I just found my old roll of cable. I just gotta pick up some RJ45-8P8C's
>>
>>60041657
Ah you're doing LAN networking, yes go with the cabling, it's generally better and you'll likely be able to use that extra 25% network throughput in the future.
>>
>>60041691
Except 802.11 is half-duplex, so the 800 Mbit/s is shared between transmit and receive, and GbE is full-duplex with 1 Gbit/s available for both directions at all times. And then there's the whole theoretical vs. practical throughput thing, getting anywhere close to full speed with wireless is nigh impossible while good ol' Ethernet will pull very close to theoretical any day of the week.

In effect, if you're doing heavy traffic in both directions at once then the wired option is several times faster instead of just 25%.
>>
>>60041861
Ah I didn't know about the sharing part.

Indeed, wired will always be more stable it seems.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.