[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/ - PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 26

File: theguyshetoldyounottoworryabout.jpg (186KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
theguyshetoldyounottoworryabout.jpg
186KB, 900x1200px
/pcbg/ - PC Building General-- Shariared edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions.

State the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or improve specs.
List the games or software you use most often.
Use common sense and put some effort into your queries.
GOOGLE IT FIRST

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com
>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice (which is pretty outdated/shit), Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/F9diF2hA
>Semi-outdated information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500.
>The Ryzen 1700 is the only R7 worth purchasing.
>If you're building a PC with an i5, wait for Ryzen 5 to compare. (Out April 11)
>i3 are no longer worth getting with zero exceptions. The budget choice is the G4560. Otherwise get an i5/r5.
>Locked i5s are a better value than unlocked i5s and perform similarly, especially in games. They are in no way "useless"
>R5 is unreleased. Any benchmarks/claims are unreliable and should be treated as such.
>SSDs are worth it. Expensive SSDs aren't worth it.
>RX 500 series coming out April 18. Ryzen 5, April 11. Vega coming Q2 2017.
>for budget builds, consider a mATX setup for case/mobo savings

There's been a huge upswing in disinformation in these threads, and in the community in general. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who loses if you take bad advice.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with >>>/g/pcbg and report.
>>
NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 3
>>
Currently thinking of running this setup:

>Intel G4560 Kaby Lake
>Asus Dual-R480X (4GB OC)
>Asus Prime B250 Plus
>8GB DDR4 (and going 16 once I get the money)
>Corsair CP-9020097-EU VS Serie VS550 80 Plus ATX
>Low-end Sharkoon case

Just want to get some games running, even with Medium settings. Not too keen on some of the AAA titles and do slight amount of Office work with it. Any suggestions?
>>
How big is the R5, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen one in person, but that's what I bought for my new rig. My current case is probably 12-13'' tall and maybe 7-8'' wide.
>>
which R5 is worth getting?
>>
>>59773433
seems solid. pick the cheapest 480 you can find, cheapest B250 you can find, and cheapest ddr4 you can find. Those PSUs both look sketchy, I'd get a CX430 if possible. Or just look for reviews.
>>
>>59773244
D15. I was on that same doubt when deciding for a heatsink for my as silent as posible build.

D15 with LNA's is very slightly less noisy and very slighlty cooler than DRP3 if I remember correctly, or basically beats it at silence. And if then you actualky want raw power and OC someday, just ramp up these fans and voila, you have the best air cooling on the market. Definitely worth the 10 bucks extra.
>>
>>59773478
w e d o n 't k n o w t h e y a r e n ' t r e l e a s e d y e t
>>
>>59773512
s o o n y o u n g p a d a w a n
>>
File: AMD2.jpg (66KB, 568x612px) Image search: [Google]
AMD2.jpg
66KB, 568x612px
>>59773512
>>59773533
g u e s s w e j u s t h a v e t o W A I T
>>
>>59773489
Thanks for the kind advice anon. As for case and mainboard size, is ATX fine or is the RX480 a little bigger than other GPUs?
>>
I want to scavenge some 120mm fans off my old rig when building my new rig, but the ones I have now are a bit dusty. Is there a way I can just rinse them off in the sink without ruining them, or do I need to sit down and scrub them with qtips and spit?
>>
How good is a Ryzen 5 + RX480, really?
>>
File: AMD.png (91KB, 653x726px) Image search: [Google]
AMD.png
91KB, 653x726px
>>59773677
not really. get g4560 + 1060 instead. much better
>>
>had a shitty backup USB DAC for like 3 bux off ebay just incase everything went to shit
>everything went to shit
>DAC is great
wowee
>>
>>59773683
>g4560
If you don't mind stutter and FPS lagspikes, then this.
>>
Any reason to upgrade an i5 2500k yet?
>>
GOAT router
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d7TvCy
>>
>>59773709
Good performance in games or anything that requires some horsepower?
>>
good gaming laptops under 200$
>>
>>59772917
Does OP's picture accurately reflect /pcbg/?
>>
>>59773683
>implying i would ever buy a pentium
>implying I would ever buy a dual core cpu

Are those little things unlocked? I feel I could have a lot of fun with it
>>
What's a good thermally conductive spray paint?
>>
>>59773576
ATX or mATX both work.

>>59773590
feel free to use water all over electrical components

>>59773677
good, possibly better than an i5+480. possibly worse

>>59773709
no

>>59773734
>>
File: 1491512605195.jpg (21KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1491512605195.jpg
21KB, 400x267px
is a fx 6300 and a am3+ motherboard a good investment comming from a core 2 duo and ddr2 ram?
>>
>>59773808
not at all lol
>>
>>59773808
Fuck no
A Pentium G4560 and a H110 motherboard will keep you for years
>>
>>59773799
how old is the i5 3570k. Any reason to upgrade?
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nk4yRG
It's supposed to be a NAS and Plex server primarily. The five 1TB drives would be run in RAID5, and the 4TB drive is for occasional backups and would be stored off-site. The USB drive is for backing up the SSD and would also be stored off-site.
I originally was going to go with a RAID6 configuration, but then I decided that since I'll have off-site backups, I'd be fine with losing some redundancy to increase the storage capacity since if another drive fails during a rebuild I'd likely just say "fuck it" regardless and rebuild from the backup and reacquire anything missing.
>>
>>59773808
are* an*
>>
So, basic question, but can someone give me a quick overview of the different kinds of HDDs? I see different cache sizes and RPMs listed. Am I correct in assuming the bigger the cache and the faster the RPM, the better/faster the drive is?

If that's true then why are 5400 RPM HDDs or HDDs with like 32 mb caches still made? Is it better for some other uses or something?
>>
>>59773861
>https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nk4yRG
Do the math, nigga
That's a fucking waste of money and power consumption
>>
>>59773832
google, and no

>>59773861
not bad
>>
>>59773799
>feel free to use water all over electrical components
so just drop them in the sink? Should i cover up the part that plugs into the mobo with tape or something?
>>
>>59773966
>and no
wow! such a well thought out opinion, anon!
>>
>>59772917
Looks like another supreme gentleman in the making. Rich parents but ugly as fuck.
>>
>>59773965
>That's a fucking waste of money and power consumption
Explain.
>>
What would be the best AM4 X370 motherboard for overclocking?
>>
>>59773433
Don't cheap out on your PSU. Ever.

Prefer the 8GB version of your GPU if possible.

8GB RAM should suffice for your build.
>>
>>59774137
You don't need that many fucking 1TB hard drives when two in RAID1 or even just one 4TB HDD does the job with better reliability, lower power consumption, and shorter rebuild times.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J9QjKZ
>>
Will the Ryz5 have any change on the pentium prices or should I just pull the trigger and have my PC by next week?
>>
>>59774475
>Will the Ryz5 have any change on the pentium prices
Did ryzen 7 ever have a direct impact on Intel's Core i7 prices?
Hint: NO
>>
>bought a new GPU
>now my CPU is the bottleneck
it's time to call the police, for I am going down a rabbithole
>>
>>59774265
So you think that going with fewer hard drives with more platters would be more reliable than more hard drives with single platters? That goes against pretty much everything I've read.
I wanted to start off with 5 drives since trying to add drives to an exiting array can be a huge pain in the ass. The amount of storage will fit my needs for the near future and by the time I need to upgrade the storage I'll be able to afford it. I also think you're severely overestimating how much power hard drives consume.
>>
>>59774562
>buy a new CPU
>RAM is now the bottleneck
>buy new RAM
>HDD is not the bottleneck
>buy an SSD
>no money for new games anyway
>>
>>59774265
>>59774567
And I just noticed that despite you going on about power consumption, you also dropped from an 80+ Gold PSU to a Bronze one.
I also can't find much on the integrated CPU on that mobo, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be able to handle the transcoding tasks I would need it to.
I'm also guessing that you're intending the USB drive be used for the OS?
The list you provided is trash for what I'm trying to accomplish.
>>
I've got a dual xeon server and a 1070 and I still don't even go near 550W
how the fuck do you people go over 600W
>>
Redpill me on mATX

How badly am I fucking myself over later on when it comes to upgrades?
>>
>>59774846
Overclocking and SLI/Crossfire is probably responsible for most of what you're seeing.
Then there are the idiots that get a PSU that's rated for way more than what they need.
I suppose it's also worth noting that PSUs are most efficient around the 50% load range, but generally not by a lot.
>>
Would /pcbg/ be interested in a website about buying mostly unknown parts/hardware from ching chong and nip nong asian friends and reviewing them?
>>
>>59774894
If you don't plan on SLI in the future then there's no worries. Considering all the effort and problems with SLI I don't see it as much of a problem.
>>
>>59774567
>That goes against pretty much everything I've read
Except for the total endurance ratings of the hard drives, which are damn near equal despite the density in platters. That's because a hard drive isn't just a rotating magnetic disk, but an entire system of parts in itself, all of which have their own chance of failure that can damage or destroy the drive.
>I also think you're severely overestimating how much power hard drives consume.
It's not negligible. Five 5900rpm hard drives use more power than two 7200rpm hard drives (yes, even ones that use that many more platters). Over time that adds up because all of the drives will be on 24/7/365 and all of the drives will have varying power states depending on what you do with the array. Not only that but having that many more hard drives adds a significant amount of vibration, which - while NAS drives have sensors to counter-act those vibrations - will add up to overall noise and lower reliability of the array.

Also, 7 fucking fans? Are you for fucking real? I have a three-disk WD Black array that only need a single 120mm fan blowing on them. There's no fucking way in hell you need that many fans. You'll ruin whatever airflow two well-placed fans can provide by themselves.

>>59774789
>80+ Gold PSU to a Bronze one
That was a cost consideration and given how little power your system actually uses at 100% load compared to the PSU's rating, you'll be using EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF POWER. Look up both PSU's power efficiency curves at ~125W

Exactly, sit the fuck down.
You'll need lower wattage PSU for that rating to make any difference in your power consumption at all.

> but it sure seems like it wouldn't be able to handle the transcoding tasks I would need it to
I'm not spoonfeeding you. Google

You being a smug prick about things you clearly don't fully understand shows how little you care about getting feedback and how much you wanted to flash your own e-peen. Guess what? It's small, lacking, and white.
>>
>>59772917
Is ASrock a reliable motherboard brand? looking to replace a motherboard and i5 2500k that died on me
>>
Whats the best budget pc build I can get for around 600$. Looking for something that will outperform consoles and play AAA games with 45-60 average fps on high settings in 1080p.
>>
>>59775131
>Whats the best budget pc build I can get for around 600$
Xbox Scorpio
Not even kidding
>>
Hey guys, in general, how conscious of static are you when building or working on your computers? Do you wear one of those grounding cables? Do you just take off your socks before pulling it apart? Have you ever had a component fry itself due to static from your body? I usually work on my stuff in the living room where we have tile, and I've never had an issue. Just wondering if it's something to be paranoid about or if it's really not a big deal.
>>
>>59774894
mATX is the best option if you don't need SLI. ITX has jacked up prices because people want to build ultra kawaii PCs. mATX motherboards and cases tend to be at the sweet spot in terms of price.
>>
I want a high end pc. Is Titan Xp with Skylake-X the best intel has to offer in the recent future?
>>
>>59774562
This. So much this. When I had a 280x I thought the 4460 would keep me fine for years. Then I got a 980 Ti that ran 1515 Core/2100 memory stable. I was so fucking wrong.
>>
FUCK IT IM BUYING RYZEN
>>
Im going to build a new desktop, is GNU/Parabola any good?
>>
>>59775694
Yeah but there is always new shit right around the corner. AMD and Nvidia are both on the cusp of major architecture updates so the Titan Xp may be the best for a year or so but that's it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-06-21-05-15.png (415KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-06-21-05-15.png
415KB, 1440x2560px
So what do you think /g/? Plan on buying this this weekend. Being paired with 32GB (4x8GB) of 2400mhz ram I already own. Which is as high as I can hope for Ryzen with all ram slots filled according to AMD themselves.

>inb4 over priced motherboard

It is, but all of the B350 boards look cheaply made with Mediocre at best VRMs and power phases. And not enough SATA ports.
>>
>>59773955
bumping for input here, or if this isn't the place to ask just tell me.
>>
>>59775746
Don't be memed. /g/ is really pushing Ryzen right now. Just check the benchmarks before you pull the trigger.
>>
>>59775112
ASrock is basically the store-brand you would display adjacent to a lineup of ASUS motherboards. Their try to deliver what ASUS has, and in terms of usability by-and-large they succeed. Don't expect all of ASUS' cool toys though.

ASrock doesn't do a bad job at all.
>>
>>59775995
Thought the VRMs on B350s were legit? That RAM is going to hold back performance, there's really no question about it at this point.
>>
>>59773955
>>59776049
Cache is a storage space the HDD uses to store commonly accessed or used files. These files are kept in cache because it allows the drive to access the quicker with much less seek time. (Random read). More cache = more room for commonlyused files

How fast the drive spins (RPM) correlates to performance. The faster it spins, the faster the drive can read or write to/from a specific portion on the disk. 7200rpm/32MB cache drives are considered the standard now for 1TB capacities. 5400 rpm drives were made solely for laptops. Slower spinning disk means less power usage, means longer battery life for the laptop. There are also 10k and 15k rpm drives. Those were meant for servers in the days before SSDs became mainstream.

Cache alone can make a drive faster than another even at the same rpm. My 4TB 7200rpm 128MB cache drive is much faster all around than my old 1TB 16MB cache 7200rpm.
>>
I've been enjoying my new PC lately, and kinda come to realize that my mousepad is also kinda gotten ratty/old and even interrupts the mouse sometimes.

Is there any quality things I should know about getting a new mousepad? Like trusted brands or anything?
I do a lot of /3/ shit as well as gaming, so would one with a wristgel be good, or is that pointless?
>>
>>59776195
I got a cheap one with a wristpad off of amazon a few months ago because my wrist was giving me trouble but it was way too stiff to be useful. Ended up just putting more pressure on the nerve there. I'd be curious if anyone has had any luck.
>>
>>59772917

god fucking damnit. my PC is trash and this minecraft tard gets this shit. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>59775372
its a meme, don't build on carpet and you wont zap shit, even then its rare
>>
>>59775372
if you're not overcautious your dad failed you.
>>
>>59775372

i just built a pc in my bedroom, the case on the bed, i live in a dry enviroment, i was on my fully carpeted rug

pc is fine

unless you're walking around and building up friction nothing will happen, just touch the case every once in a while
>>
>>59775097
>Except for the total endurance ratings of the hard drives, which are damn near equal despite the density in platters. That's because a hard drive isn't just a rotating magnetic disk, but an entire system of parts in itself, all of which have their own chance of failure that can damage or destroy the drive.
Well I tried to compare reliability data such as MTBF and MTTF of the drives, and Toshiba doesn't provide that information which makes me want to go with a different manufacturer eitherway for the 4TB drives.
>It's not negligible. Five 5900rpm hard drives use more power than two 7200rpm hard drives (yes, even ones that use that many more platters). Over time that adds up because all of the drives will be on 24/7/365 and all of the drives will have varying power states depending on what you do with the array.
However, I was able to find data on this to make a comparison. The 1TB IronWolf drives have an average power draw during operation of 3.6W and 2.5W during idle. The 4TB X300 consume an average of 11.3W during operation and 6.0W during idle. We'll continue with the assumption of five 1TB drives vs two 4TB drives. We'll also assume that the drives will be idle for 8 hours a day while everybody is asleep/trying to sleep/going through the early parts of the morning routine and also assume that the drives are being accessed during the rest of the day.
((8/24)*2.5*5)+((16/24)*3.6*5)=16.16666~
((8/24)*6.0*2)+((16/24)*11.3*2)=19.06666~
This obviously isn't a perfect model, but it leads me to believe that in this instance, the five 1TB drives will consume less power.
>Not only that but having that many more hard drives adds a significant amount of vibration, which - while NAS drives have sensors to counter-act those vibrations - will add up to overall noise and lower reliability of the array.
Well you're not wrong, but it's pretty difficult to quantify that impact.
>>
>>59773478
1500 most likely. 1400 if you are on a budget
>>
>>59772917
Are full size cases a necessity for future proofing? It's been several years since I bought a built a computer and I'm preparing for it. Will a mid size case fit the higher end video cards?
>>
Is 4k going to hit consistent 120 FPS any year soon? Or am I safe in going for 2k 120 fps?
>>
>>59774957
buy an assload of chink cases and I'll be down for it
>>
>>59776556
Midsized is fine unless you a planning to buy some crazy GPU, install several GPUs, lot's of drives, etc
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (49KB, 551x428px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
49KB, 551x428px
rate
>>
>>59776661
What's a crazy GPU? I was considering a 1070 but I'm not sure.
>>
>>59776674
1070 should be fine. Buy crazy I mean the multi-thousand dollar, not for mere mortal cards.
>>
>>59776699
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>59775097
>Also, 7 fucking fans? Are you for fucking real? I have a three-disk WD Black array that only need a single 120mm fan blowing on them. There's no fucking way in hell you need that many fans. You'll ruin whatever airflow two well-placed fans can provide by themselves.
I probably won't use them all, but the main idea is to use more fans at a lower RPM to minimize noise.
>That was a cost consideration and given how little power your system actually uses at 100% load compared to the PSU's rating, you'll be using EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF POWER. Look up both PSU's power efficiency curves at ~125W
Where are you getting 125W from? According to Outervision's PSU calculator the load wattage of my config is 196W. At that point the 80+ Gold PSU from my list is efficient by about 5%. While that's not a whole lot, I'm willing to pay a slight premium for the increase in efficiency and the semi-modularity to make cable management easier.
>Exactly, sit the fuck down.
Who pissed in your cornflakes?
>I'm not spoonfeeding you. Google
I didn't ask you to spoonfeed me. And of course I used Google, or did you think that I just looked around my yard when I said I couldn't find much on the CPU? I can hardly find anything about that CPU other than what's on ARK, and bench-marking results seem practically non-existent.
>You being a smug prick about things you clearly don't fully understand shows how little you care about getting feedback and how much you wanted to flash your own e-peen. Guess what? It's small, lacking, and white.
How the fuck was I being smug? How is showing a list of components that I haven't even bought yet flashing my e-peen?
>>
>>59776136
http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259

Seems that the faster ram is really only noticable at 1080p gaming. Anything 1440p or beyond, there is less a CPU race and more strain is put on the GPU. At higher resolutions, there is less than a 3% difference in 2400mhz vs 3200mhz.

Plus Ryzen is only able to do 3200+ when only 2 ram slots are populated. Using all 4 slots, Ryzen only guarantees 2133mhz. I already have 32GB of 2400mhz on 4 sticks. Not going to spend another $300 on 2x16GB sticks of 3200mhz. Especially considering how inflated ddr4 prices are right now.
>>
Hi guys, i went to a computer store and the clerk told me the only motherboard compatible with my GTX 1070 and i7 7700k would be a Z270 motherboard or H270, basically any motherboard over $100

was he lying to me or is this real? whats the cheapest motherboard that i can get for these?
>>
>>59777151
Your motherboard has nothing at all to do with the video card you run. And that clerk isn't wrong. h270 a d Z270 are both socket lga1151 which is the socket your CPU needs. H doesn't allow overclocking. Z does. Your chip is a k series so you'll want a Z board to take advantage of the overclocking.
>>
>>59776857
>According to Outervision's PSU calculator the load wattage of my config is 196W
And it's wrong because it doesn't have the Pentium D-1508. The system draw during four separate simultaneous reads with 8 drives, three SSDs, a PCIe SSD, and an X340-T4 is about 218W from the socket. Subtract most of the stuff and factor in the additional power wasted on the PSU and you get around 120-140W.
And this is with the quad-core D-1521 model, which has double the cores of the Pentium D-1508.
And yes, I can do no less than five simultaneous 1080p transcoding. That means the Pentium should handle at least two.
>>
What's the most future proof Kabylake H Motherboard? Ie has M.2, fuckton of USB 3.0 Gen 2's, all that stuff.
>>
>>59777307
>And this is with the quad-core D-1521 model
>And yes, I can do no less than five simultaneous 1080p transcoding
Well since you have similar hardware, how well does it handle transcoding 10-bit AVC animu to the more standard 8-bit AVC that most 1080p devices would expect?
>>
>>59775131
g4560 + rx470 4gb

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dichjs9HXTg
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v8d8sJ
thoughts?
>>
>>59773590
Use a wet cloth and you'll be fine
>>
>>59776664
Your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu. You might wanna do something about that
>>
Is the Cryorig H7 currently the best budget aftermarket cooler available?
>>
>>59780015
There are others that are roughly as good at the price, like some Scythe coolers, and the Noctua midrange is also good, but yeah pretty much.
Can't go wrong with any of the Cryorig models in their respective price brackets and TDP ratings.
>>
>>59772917
Where is the picture of the spoiled cunt originally from?
>>
>>59780067
Thanks for the input there. Right now I am simply looking to replace the stock cooler on my i5 due to the whine. I had looked at the Cryorig C7 as well but there seem to be some complaints about the noise under load.
>>
File: terry.jpg (24KB, 418x438px) Image search: [Google]
terry.jpg
24KB, 418x438px
>State the purpose of your PC
Gift for Terry A. Davis
>your budget
unlimited federal niggerbux
>List the games or software you use most often.
Temple OS, Youtube, Moeshit
>Compatibility Check: No issues/incompatibilities found
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NmryRG
>>
>>59780174
Needs a better cooler. Looks fine otherwise.
>>
>>59777975
any z chipset motherboard
>>
File: 1487823612570.jpg (460KB, 1711x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487823612570.jpg
460KB, 1711x1200px
What is the closest to a FM Town case?
>>
Looking to build a silent or near-silent system that'll hold up for every day office type work, shitposting, chinese cartoons, etc.

The hitch: I'd prefer not to go with an external PSU or some ugly the-case-is-a-heatsink shitbox. Would also prefer something along the lines of a cube/tower case to an HTPC style deal as it's going to be sitting on a desk. What are my options?

Assuming a fanless internal PSU, an SSD, and sticking to the igpu would I get away with passively cooling a 35W TDP CPU like an i3-7100T and using a single low-RPM exhaust to vent the heat from the case?
>>
>>59781010
Be Quiet case, 2 140mm case fans at the front/bottom, with rubber stand offs for the fans and a Ryzen 5 1400 (lowest TDP part that's reasonbly powerful) with a largest heatsink you can get for it and a single fan blowing toward the back.
Add in a GPU with a artic accelero single 120-140mm fan cooler and large heatsink if you don't want to wait for Raven Ridge.

iGPU might sound quieter and all, but the Intel iGPU are less power efficient, and you're sharing a heat sink, so it will end up being more work to cool it than Ryzen that's 30-50% more energy efficient than Kabylake, and a 1050/1050Ti that's crazy energy efficient.

And yes, fanless 420w Seasonic PSU.

>cube/tower case to an HTPC style
This would make things harder.
A larger case gives more room for sound insulation.
>>
File: AMD-Ryzen-5_Pricing.png (169KB, 725x364px) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Ryzen-5_Pricing.png
169KB, 725x364px
Hey guys, im about to order my first pc.
The pc will be used for gaming, streaming, editing, recording.

here is what i have so far.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Ram: 8gb 3000mhz
Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 3 AB350-M
GPU: Gtx 1060 aero itx oc 6gb (already purchased)
psu: seasonic m2ii 520w full modular
case: cm silencio 352
storage: wd blue 1tb
: ssd 128 gb (already owned)
monitor: still doubt between 29um58 or 144hz monitor.

what you guys think?
>>
File: 1491506895593.jpg (70KB, 622x621px) Image search: [Google]
1491506895593.jpg
70KB, 622x621px
$700 on a gpu with no backplate

my goodness!
>>
>>59781179
better power suppply

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DPCwrH/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm
>>
>>59781179
Keep in mind that RAM will downgrade to 2933 at best until the May patch comes. And even then may still downgrade.

Looks good otherwise, but I'd get the semi-modular seasonic gold since it's not much more money for something you'll probably use for 10 years. Yeah, >>59781236 is the exact one I mean.

except
>still doubt between 29um58 or 144hz monitor.
Ultrawides are terrible. Trust me.
Have you even gone and looked at them in store?
Your vision is roughly 4:3. Anything less than 16:10 is dumb. 16:9 is barely bearable.

And don't get too caught up on 144hz or nothing otherwise. 90-120hz is fine, especially at 1440p or 2560x1600.
Get freesync, because it looks like Nvidia might be forced to adopt it soon. And as long as you stay at high FPS, you'll hardly notice the lack of Gsync. You can just underclock the monitor below the framerate you're getting and it'll be smooth then.
>>
File: 1452620561965.jpg (68KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
1452620561965.jpg
68KB, 500x538px
thinking of building this setup

>PCU:Intel Core i5-7600
>GPU:Gigabyte RX 480 8GB DDR5 GV-RX480G1 GAMING-8GD
>MEM:Kingston 16GB DDR4 2133MHz KVR21N15D8/16
>MOBO:Asrock H110M-HDS
>SSD1Western Digital 120GB Green WDS120G1G0A
>SSD2:Western Digital 1TB Blue WDS100T1B0A
>CASE:BitFenix Nova BFX-NOV-100-WWXKK-RP
>PSU:Keep Out 700W FX700V2

Mainly I want to run Total War games on med/high settings without any problem. My budget for is 1100-1200 USD.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>59781300
But that's way less expensive than 1000usd. At least get a 7700(non k) since the Ryzen 1600X will pretty much outdate the fuck outta the 7600.
>>
>>59781300
I refuse to believe that this isn't bait. Everything about this build SCREAMS bait. I've rumbled you, fisherman. Move along.

If it isn't I suggest you neck yourself, bruv.
>>
>>59781300
kek <--- You are here.
kek
kek
kek
kek
>>
Are there any Ryzen motherboards supporting ECC yet?
>>
I'm thinking about possibly buying these components for my next setup:

>CPU - Intel Core i5-7600k
>MOBO - Asus ROG STRIX Z270G
>RAM - Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz (On Sale)
>PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W
>Case - Fractal Design Define Mini C (No Window)
>GPU (Already Own) - EVGA GTX 1060 SC (6GB)
>SSD (Already Own) Samsung 850 EVO (1TB)

The components listed above, apart from the GPU & SSD, cost a total of £719.42 on Scan right now. That includes delivery & VAT cost. My maximum budget is £1,000. Although I'm a filthy Jew, so I would like to avoid reaching it.
The computer will mostly be used to play games like DS3 and the latest shitty AAA games.

What possible improvements could I make? Do I need the meme motherboard, or settle for another Micro ATX board?
>>
>>59781300
Why are you getting only 4c/4t with that budget? Or at all for that matter?

Almost nothing doesn't make good use of SMT as of the past few years. The only time you don't see benefits from it, most of the time, is in GPU bottlenecked benchmarks.

You even said "total war games" when Total Warhammer gets a 200%+ increase in 0.1% minimums and 20% increase in 1% minimums just turning hyperthreading on vs off.
>>
UK

buying a 3440x1440 ultrawide, either Acer BX340CK or AOC U3477PQU.

What gfx card to buy? Got a budget of £370 give or take. Happy to turn down settings to get over 60fps.
>>
>>59781407
>4c/4t
>AAA games
You're going to love Watchdogs 2, mate.
>>
>>59781442
Good thing it's not my type of game, nor do I like Ubisoft games in general. Would have gotten For Honor if they didn't fucked it.
>>
>>59781406
Don't all the ASRocks support ECC, or did I get it confused with another brand?

Why don't you google it?
>>
>>59781471
Point is AAA console ports are already savaging 4 core systems. Don't fall for the i5 meme in 2017. If you're going intel you'd be far better served in the long run by going for a 7700 and a cheap B250 board. Or a 7700K if the budget is there.

If you're determined to get an i5 just get a locked one for fuck's sake. It'll play everything the 7600K would right now, and it's not going to be the clockspeed that kills you it's going to be your corelet shit choking on threaded stuff.
>>
>>59781407
>he thinks it comes with a cooler

>>59781426
>budget of £370
>to run what is about 65% of 4k.
You're fucked, m8.
R9 Fury and 1070 do okay jobs, but not great.
>>
Can someone recommend me a cooler for a 1600X please? Stop me buying a 212 EVO.

Inb4 "An H7 is about the same price, get that." No. No isn't. Literally almost twice the price for us Britfags.
>>
>>59781568
I did forget to mention I already own the NH-D15. Doesn't change anything in terms of pricing.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (189KB, 514x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
189KB, 514x1024px
>>59776664
How well do GTX 570s and GTX 580s hold up nowadays?

Tom's Hardware still places them reasonably high on their hierarchy chart but I'm sure Nvidia stopped gearing drivers for them years ago.
>>
Newbie at pc building, what would i need for a pc that games and does light media for music
I can do like 500 us dollars bit willing to go 200 more or less so from 500-750 is my budget i guess
I tried reading the things to get started and i understand most of it like what each part does but getting the best part still confuses me.
Basically just recommend my a good 'entry' build to get started please and thank you
>>
>>59781686
Eh. Arma runs well on low settings. Total Warhammer as well, surprisingly. Though, I suppose both of those game are a little more CPU bound.

I just got a 1080ti though. My last video card croaked and I had this old 580 lying around as a backup.
>>
>>59781584
Compareable to the Evo but way better: Cryorig M9.
Scythe Mugen 5 is another.

You can use almost any cooler, though. I'm sure a 110w TDP cooler will be fine for a 3.9-4.0ghz overclock.
You won't really benefit from one of those big massive meme coolers since they're so power efficient, as long as you don't try to go over that 1.35-1.4v wall.

I like the down blowers since they help cool VRMs and RAM. Like the Cryorig C7.

>>59781686
>How well do GTX 580s hold up nowadays
More than 35% worse than a 7970.
>Tom's Hardware
There's your problem.
>>
>>59781686
I know some people like that list, but it's really only useful for the roughest of ideas as to where the cards lay.
On newer games, the older cards really show their age

>>59781702
Don't build yourself if your budget is super-tight. Buy one with standardized components (ATX, full size PSU etc, not a proprietary Dell minitower where you can't swap anything) and upgrade as necessary.

You can get Kaby Lake i5 for around $400 if you catch some occasional deals. Very difficult to make that happen outside of waiting months buying individual components with rebates that you may or may not end up receiving.
>>
>>59781776
Yeah you have a point, i could have gone higher but i am not sure how it will be after the move, so i have time to decide i guess.
I was just asking for like a starting point, but hopefully the prixes for part go down and i will know definitely after i move my budget.
Thank you friend! i will in the meanwhile try to learn more and come back in 2 months
>>
Do I buy a $140 470 or wait for the RX 500 to drop?
>>
>>59781900
Here are a couple of examples of the kind of machines you should be looking for.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474800/aspire_atc-780a-ur12_desktop_computer

http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-TC-710-Intel-Corei5-Desktop/product_2625570?affiliateref=cj&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.4485850&PID=4485850&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4485850-_-4485850-_-11965372&SID=733afa101b9d11e7a85aba0f56d62a6e0INT&cvo_campaign=Coupon&AID=11965372&storeId=10001&CID=AFF%3A4485850%3A4485850%3A11965372&CJPIXEL=CJPIXEL

I don't know what the motherboard looks like, but honestly, for a budget rig, it's probably got enough ports for what you need.
>>
>>59781928
I'd wait for RX500 if you can. It's looking like it's actually going to be quite good since it clearly looks to be a different or more optimized process and not as simple of a refresh as originally thought.
>>
>Buying Asus monitor
>Worried due to dead pixel reviews (which are on pretty much every monitor to be fair)
>Warranty requires over 3 dead pixels before they'll due anything
If I get just one, can I just send it in anyway and bitch if they don't do anything
>>
>>59782020
>due anything
do*
>>
What's the best manufacturer of mATX motherboards right now? I need to have AM4 socket.
>>
>>59782097
There's no such thing. Just buy whatever has all the connectors you need.
>>
>>59781179
>The pc will be used for gaming, streaming, editing, recording.
>using Ryzen
Stick with an i7-7700K or the much better i7-6800K
>>
>>59782156
wtf, who am i suppose to believe now..
one say its solid and other says get the intel.
>>
>>59782020
ASUS has the worst fucking warranty support and shit.

But you can send it back to Amazon if you buy from there. They'll accept it for any reason, won't they?

>>59782097
>What's the best manufacturer of mATX motherboards right now? I need to have AM4 socket.
Almost all of them are good except for the Tomahawk. Buy the one that has the features and layout you need.
>>
>>59782146
>Just buy whatever has all the connectors you need.
Regarding that. If I the motherboard has a VGA-connector but the graphics card doesn't, will it run of the graphics card if I connect my monitor to the VGA port? Asking because I want to use a CRT, and no graphics cards seem to have a VGA port or the type of DVI that you can get a VGA signal out of.
>>
>>59782176
Was probably getting it from Amazon, but don't they only take returns for a month or so. Also is the support bad enough that you'd recommend equivelant BenQ or AOC monitors? I'm planning on buying the vg248qe specifically
>>
>>59782172
Ryzen R5 is slower for production work than an i7-7700K, or even an i5-7600K. Two more cores and 120% of the threads, and yet it's fucking garbage with multi-threaded software. Go figure.

Most of these cunts shilling AMD have an agenda to push their bugged, shitty products onto unsuspecting users. Intel is by far and away ahead of AMD in every single respect and no educated consumer or builder will ever consider Ryzen to be equals to Kaby Lake-S or Broadwell-E at any price level.
>>
Just made what I think is a pretty sweet purchase.
>MSI M5 z270 mb
>i5 7600k
>H100i v2
All for $300 off of OfferUp, some dude wanted something better I guess. Anyways I now need a tower that will hold that v2, a good psu, ddr4 sticks probably not more than 8gb, and a good gpu. Not too experienced so I wanna make sure my CPU doesn't bottleneck my gpu and vise versa, any suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>59782189
I really don't see what justifies the cost of the vg248qe.
It's 1080p. It's TN.

Would think you could just go with AOC but idk.

>>59782206
>Ryzen R5 is slower for production work than an i7-7700K, or even an i5-7600K
Are you fucking retarded? A 4c/4t is not better than a 6c/12t for production work.
>>
File: 1479699850428.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479699850428.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
3 days till Ryzen
>>
>>59782249
>>59782249
>I really don't see what justifies the cost of the vg248qe.
Mostly for the 144hz and any cheaper 144hz monitors I've found had a ton of complaints beyond dead pixels. I'll check if the benq/aoc are IPS but if they're all TN, does it really look that bad?
>>
>>59782286
Wait nevermind I'm an idiot, I'm not going to find any IPS above 60hz. Still, the same question about colors
>>
>>59782219
>one of the worst AIOs
>4c/4t that' perform much worse at 5ghz than a 4c/8t does that 4ghz.
>I MADE A SWEET PURCHASE GUYS

Only thing good is the motherboard.
>>
>>59782286
I had no idea 144hz were that expensive, I guess. I never look at TNs.
Seems like a lot of money for not much.

>I'm not going to find any IPS above 60hz
why not?
>>
>>59782308
The 144hz ASUS and BenQ I've been looking at are $200~ and $300~ respectively. Anything in 4k seems to be double the price of its equivalent 1080p. It also seems like >60hz on IPS monitors aren't exactly common, or at least anywhere near my price range.
>>
>>59782324
Okay, well yeah, IPS is more expensive.

I just didn't think 144hz TN 1080p would cost so much. Seems like a waste of money for shitty resolution and picture quality just to have higher framerates displayed and nothing else.
Maybe you should just get a 75hz one.
It looks like 144hz 1440p 1ms IPS are $450+.
>>
>>59782301
Shiiiiiit really? Well I've never had a water cooler so I had no idea. Also this is current build so anything is an upgrade lol

>FX 8320
>M5A97 R2.0 mb
>Radeon 7850 1gb
>Antec 620 neoeco
>g.skill 8gb ddr3 2133

Also I'm not looking for something ridiculous, just a mid range and get back into pc gaming.
>>
>>59782351
Picture depends on the monitor itself apparently, people seem to like the TN BenQ picture. I also have absolutely no interest in 1440p/4k at the moment anyway, the thing is I'm trying to figure out exactly how bad the TN picture is but my current 60hz piece of shit is TN so I doubt anything would be a downgrade at this point.
>>
>>59782433
For a TN, BenQ had nice picture.

But IPS picture has improved more over the years while TN hit a wall years ago, as far as I can see.

>>59782406
>just a mid range and get back into pc gaming.
A 7600k even at 5ghz will drop under 60fps on tons of newer games fairly frequently (0.1% or even 1% or so of the time).
4c/4t are stutterfests. You were even better off overclocking the 8320 to 4.4ghz+ in a lot of newer games, or really just in general when it comes to hitting 60fps minimum.

Try and sell the 7600k and cooler. Get a 7700k and big air cooler or an AIO that's less shit.
You could even simply get a locked 7700 and just a reasonable cooler like the Cryorig C7 for maybe what you sell the 7600k and h100i for which would be way better performance on average for lower power usage and hassle. Just make sure you get good RAM.
>>
>>59782549
Yeah after looking into it I'm probably going with the BenQ since people seem to like the picture while the main complaint with the ASUS is said picture. I'll hold onto this for a while then get an IPS 4k when my graphics card can actually play 4k games at a reasonable framerate, 4k itself is common and the prices are more reasonably
>>
>>59772917
>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500
Can't you just buy a used Thinkpad with that budget that has much better CPU and just use it with dock?
>>
>>59782585
You mean OLED for 4K.

>>59782666
People like upgrade-ability.
Do you have specific links that are common deals?
>>
>>59782673
>You mean OLED for 4K.
I'm retarded, leave me alone. Seriously though, I knew jack shit about monitors 3 days ago and learned pretty much everything as I've done research on what to buy, but I do have one question, is gsync "worth it?" - Every model I see it on is like $200 more than what I want to pay and presumably the lower priced gsync monitors would make cuts in other areas to justify the price
>>
>>59782673
>Do you have specific links that are common deals?
Not really, but aren't the i5s objectively better than dual core Pentiums? Of course, within the same generation or even the Pentium being a generation higher.
>>
>>59782585
www.massdrop.com/buy/nixeus-27-ips-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=EDE64D&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-04-07

No idea the price yet. Not exactly really high quality but it's still 1440p IPS that has a range of 30-144hz plus Freesync.

>>59782735
>but I do have one question, is gsync "worth it?"
No. Just get a Freesync and make the mistake of not buying a graphics card that requires expensive proprietary licensed monitors.
There is nothing in the monitors that costs more money for Gsync. It's just the license fees they pay to Nvidia that make them expensive, because overcharging for GPUs to begin with isn't enough for them.

Nvidia may be forced to cave and support Freesync soon because it's becoming very dominant and even the Xbox Scorpio is supporting Freesync and Freesync 2.

>>59782746
>but aren't the i5s objectively better than dual core Pentiums
In many cases, not by a whole lot now that those dual core Pentiums have hyperthreading. It's not more than double the difference of going from 2c/4t to 4c/8t. Especially if it's one of those 2.73.2ghz boost i5s.
>>
>>59782549
I have been duped. I really thought intel processors were 10x better than amd.
So youre saying I should just invest in a better gpu? Because I dont get near 60 fps on most games,
I just figured a new gpu might need a new cpu.
>>
>>59782783
7700k was way better than anything AMD had to offer.
The 4c/4t were better than any Bulldozer 8 core for a long time, too, until consoles working off 8 weak cores made games better optimized for them.

>So youre saying I should just invest in a better gpu? Because I dont get near 60 fps on most games,
I don't get how you got that as a takeaway from anything I said.
You can have a $1200 Titan Xp and still drop under 60fps often with a 5Ghz 7600k in modern games. So many of them just don't run well on 4c/4t anymore.

This should have been obvious by like.. 2015 at the latest that 4c/4t was falling out of favor and 4c/8t was the minimum going forward.
Too many people swore by GPU bottlenecked benchmarks and vsync locked to 60fps benchmarks.
>>
Is the Fractal Design Intergra PSU any good? They are ranked tier 3 on that PSU tier list, but sometimes I think that list is a meme.
>>
>>59782825
But to make it clear, Vishera is still shit.
It's just 4c/4t is often even more shit in newer games. But better in pretty much all older games, and there's more older games than newer ones, duh.

I recommend neither.
>>
>>59782825
>You were even better off overclocking the 8320 to 4.4ghz+ in a lot of newer games, or really just in general when it comes to hitting 60fps minimum.
Thats why I figured just upgrading a gpu would be better than getting a new cpu because my gpu right now is ass.
>>
>>59782780
>No. Just get a Freesync and make the mistake of not buying a graphics card that requires expensive proprietary licensed monitors.
>There is nothing in the monitors that costs more money for Gsync. It's just the license fees they pay to Nvidia that make them expensive, because overcharging for GPUs to begin with isn't enough for them.
Shit, the BenQ I was looking at isn't freesync. Depending on how much certain games rape my GPU (I need to use vsync on a few simply to cap it to 60 FPS because otherwise they'll go 90-120 and make my fan sound like a jet engine) so I was planning on either arbitrarily capping around 90 and hope there's no tearing or worst case scenario, run a-vsync at 72.

Was considering https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBEI but given I'm on Nvidia, I don't think it's worth it to just sit around and hope they bother supporting it. I'm fairly certain the BenQ https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Supported-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00ITORITU has a FAR better picture whereas the AOC really only gets points back in negligible MS improvements in response time.

Also thanks for all of the responses
>>
>>59782917
Wrong BenQ link
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411-24-inch-Monitor-eSports/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491582257&sr=1-5&keywords=benq
>>
>>59782881
Oh okay, I understand
>>
>>59782872
That list is very outdated.
Many of the PSUs that were tier 2 or 3 switched manufacturers and are pretty garbage tier now.

Also check Cybenetics, as they figured out an easy way to test PSUs that catches the cheating that many manufacturers due to get them to show a higher efficiency than they really have, which indicates lower quality PSUs.
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

>>59782917
You can underclock your monitor to below the minimum framerate you tend to get and cap the framerate to that amount in the Nvidia control panel.
That will make it just as smooth as if you were using Gsync on the lower end. Just not as smooth on the high end.

I highly recommend anyone with an Nvidia GPU get a freesync monitor and do that instead of wasting money on Gsync that very well may end up dying within a year.

>>59782927
That's not a freesync one.

The AOC one looks alright but it doesn't list its minimum hz.
You should try getting in on that massdrop I linked >>59782780 and see how low it gets. Just back out if the price is too high.

>>59782937
... I'm saying you should use those $300 in savings you got to sell the 7600k and cooler ($100 for cooler, $240 for CPU, $170 motherboard, minus $300, so if you sell the cooler for $50-$75 and cpu for $200 you should be waaay ahead?), and buying a 7700.
>>
G4560 or RYzen 1400 if the goal is light 3D modeling?
>>
>>59783000
>That's not a freesync one.
I know the BenQ isn't freesync but compared to the AOC [both are 144hz] it seems to have FAR better picture quality and a monitor that's IPS, freesync and 144hz seems to be a bit out of my budget. Where do you consider FPS to be for "the lower end" anyway?

Also regarding that link, what's the difference between that and https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-NX-VUE27P-Resolution-Backlight-Display/dp/B013CRPUBQ?th=1
The price for the 24" version of this on Amazon is fine (cost aside I prefer 24")) but I can't find pricing information for the one you linked
>>
>>59783000
Thats why I thought I was doing pretty good. Which I am as long as I can sell the 7600 and cooler.
I didnt want the cooler anyhow, with a 7700 would I be okay with a standard evo212 or should I go for a liquid cooler?
>>
>>59783052
A lot of 3d modeling programs are well threaded. We don't know if yours is when you don't list it. You can also look it up yourself.
And obviously rendering will be faster on the 1400.
>>
>>59772917
>>Locked i5s are a better value than unlocked i5s and perform similarly, especially in games. They are in no way "useless"
Uhm no. My locked i5 is being a bottleneck to my gtx 1060, that wouldn't be the case if I had a 4690k for example.
>>
>>59783128
Blender
>>
>>59783127
7700 non-k has a stock cooler.

>>59783120
The monitor in the massdrop isn't that one. The massdrop one is 1440p and an IPS.
And shit nvm it's $500. Discounted to $420 with 5 people in on it so far. So yeah that's more than I thought it was going to be.

>Where do you consider FPS to be for "the lower end" anyway
A 30hz minimum is nice.
That means on some really high end future game that'll only run 30fps minimum, you can still have it look smooth.
Some of them are 50hz or 55hz minimum which is pretty crap.

>>59783166
OP is a fag. He's been told that a lot and the benchmarks on newer games are clear, showing that even 5ghz overclocked i5s still drop under 60fps often.
But OP's a sadist that wants to see people continue to waste money on overpriced 4c/4t CPUs.
>>
>>59779640
Decent looking budget build, but I'd consider switching out the mobo for micro ATX and getting a smaller case, because you don't really need all the space unless you're planning on doing heavy upgrades in the next 3 or so years
>>
Not a native /g/ browser, but I find myself here.
I'm looking into building my first PC and have been doing research into how to do so. I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I am just starting to look into this stuff.

Anyways, what sparked this was my father got a new Dell desktop PC, and gave me his old one. The old PC in question is an HP that has been a known problem child with reliability issues since the day he bought it.
Specs-wise, the thing does what I want from a desktop, but the thing has been such a problem child I want to start fresh with a new case, a new motherboard, and carrying over everything I can from the HP.

Here's the specs:
HP Pavilion 500-424.
Foxconn Camphor2 mini-ITX motherboard
AMD A8-6410 processor
8GB Ram, PC3-12800 MB/s, DDR3-1600
1TB hard drive (the 2TB it came with died within the first 2 months)

Here's the rest of the specs if you're interested.
https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04453602

So. Assuming I salvage the processor, Ram, optical drive, and hard Drive, how fucked am I?
The budget is as cheap as possible to achieve my set goals of reliability. I want to move to a Micro-ATX or ATX form factor for price/compatibility concerns.
I want to look at cases with at least one front USB 3.0 port, and 2 drive bays minimum. Here's an example of something I'm looking at.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147246

The most taxing thing I'll do is probably play the Sims 4.
Now that I have that all out of the way, what moterboards, and graphics cars would you recommend? I don't mind buying used if it helps keep costs down. End goal is something usable for under $300.
>>
>>59783350
>what moterboards, and graphics cars would you recommend?
*motherboards and graphics cards

Any help would be appreciated. Looking at the amount choice for motherboards makes my head spin
>>
>>59783350
You didn't give a budget.

But you'd be fine with just a mITX motherboard/case and G4560 when it comes to playing girl games. Speaking of, post pics of yourself in stripped socks.

The G4560 has a GPU integrated on the chip so you don't need a GPU.
Its iGPU should be pretty equivolent to the A8-6410's, but its CPU better.

Total cost should be around $350. Try assembling on on pcpartpicker.com like that. You can filter motherboards on the side to checking "mITX".

You could also wait for the A12-9800k and mITX B350/X300 AM4 motherboards to go on sale, or Raven Ridge Ryzen based APUs to go on sale. That would be like what you had but 3-5 times more powerful and not much money.
>>
7700k with 1080ti or wait for Kaby Lake-X and Titan xp?
>>
mATX mobo for meme G4560 poorfag rig. Go.
>>
>>59783543
asrock pro4 if it's still cheap.
Just whatever is cheapest, supports 2400mhz RAM, and has the features you want. fuck.

>>59783526
yeah dude get the 7740k.

I want to see you waste money and get completely BTFO by people with 16 core 1950X with crossfire'd Vega x2s getting 144 fps minimum in 4K while you keep dropping under 60.
>>
>>59783613
Wait, I don't think you can crossfire the x2, but still.
>>
>>59783613
I wanna avoid the BIOS update shit. The Asrock 4 won't have that?
>>
>>59783492
>You didn't give a budget.
last sentence.

Ok, so a G4560 is an Intel dual core pentium processor, right? I could deal with that. I prefer Intel over AMD anyways. Just what the computer came with.
So with that, I wouldn't need a graphics card to play my games, right?

As I said, I want to move to mATX since the HP's mITX has proven unreliable

>>59783613
>asrock pro4 if it's still cheap.
>Just whatever is cheapest, supports 2400mhz RAM, and has the features you want. fuck.
Would this work for what I need as mentioned in my post here:
>>59783350
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157454&cm_re=asrock_pro4-_-13-157-454-_-Product
>>
>>59783655
lol. fucking UEFI on all boards these days auto updates and shit.
They're all botnets.
But it's a B250 board so you won't have to flash it if that's what you mean. It's compatible with G4560 out of the box.
>>
File: ahegao.jpg (53KB, 960x564px) Image search: [Google]
ahegao.jpg
53KB, 960x564px
>>59783676
>last sentence.
sry you wrote a whole long yaoi erotica about your dad turning you into a girl that I missed that :(

>so a G4560 is an Intel dual core pentium processor
With hyperthreading. So 4 threads. A lot better than the older 2c/2t.

>I wouldn't need a graphics card to play my games
Right. You'll just need to turn settings down. Should still be able to play lots at 1080p.

> I want to move to mATX since the HP's mITX has proven unreliable
dumb shit reason. OEM motherboards are just garbage.

>Would this work for what I need as mentioned in my post here
no. That's an old ass motherboard with DDR3.
G4560 uses DDR4.

Since you already have a harddrive, you should still be able to build this for under $300 even if you have to replace RAM, PSU, case, everything.
You could reuse your case, but it doesn't look pretty enough for a cutie like you.
>>
>>59783760
What about this instead?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157736&cm_re=asrock_pro4-_-13-157-736-_-Product

And this for RAM?
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4CyxFT/crucial-memory-bls8g4d240fsb

These seem alright so far from reviews.
>>
>>59783802
use pcpartpicker.com to create a build you fuck

But yes the RAM is good.
>>
>>59783166
In what game? I'd like to see some data behind this. Whatever the case, a GPU upgrade would improve performance more than a CPU upgrade, and I'd love for you to try to contest that.

>>59783236
> even 5ghz overclocked i5s still drop under 60fps often.

gee that's a relevant statistic

Please make an argument for once, I'll just copy and paste one of my debunk paragraphs for you.
>>
>>59783760
>buck teeth
>>
>>59783827
I am using PC part picker. Just have Newegg open in another tab.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/93jWGX/asrock-h270m-pro4-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270m-pro4

Better?

Anyways, looking at PCUs on part picker. Since I picked an mATX motherboard, could I use an ATX modular power supply?
Haven't added it to the build yet, but I'm looking at this.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
>>
>>59783880
lmao you're linking individual parts on it
you need to add them to a build and link to a build like other's pcpartspicker links

god girls and traps shouldn't be allowed to use computers they're so fucking dumb
>>
>>59782185
I need to know this, I'm going to use a CRT I've gotten for free to save some money. It will also look nice when playing Quake on it.
>>
>>59783893
Fuck off. I've never used PCpartpicker. New experience for me.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VzZxjc
>>
>>59782185
>>59783917
no it won't rofl

you need to get a VGA to whatever adapter. And plug into your graphics card.

>>59783935
you fuck off. it's at the top of the OP every day for a reason
>>
>>59783955
ok, so I had a retard moment. How does the list look?
>>
>>59783994
i don't know i didn't bother to look at it
>>
>>59783935
>H270 motherboard, ever
Don't do this. Get a cheap B250, any with 4 RAM slots will do.

>Single stick of RAM.
Don't do this, either. If you're going to be using the igpu then it's all about memory bandwidth and you just cut it in half. Get a 2 x 4GB kit.

>That case
Uggo city. Just vile inside and out.
>>
>>59783955
>you need to get a VGA to whatever adapter. And plug into your graphics card.
Of course, but what I need to know is if my motherboard has a VGA port but my graphics card doesn't, can I run off the motherboard VGA port and still get the benefits of the graphics card?
>>
>>59784093
No.
>>
>>59783935
>fuck off

>https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VzZxjc
looks garbage.
I made you a better one.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/97G39W

gimme your discord btw
>>
>>59784093
i already told you no.
>>
>>59784130
Are there any modern graphics cards that have a DVI port with VGA in it? I can only graphics card with the DVI port without VGA.
>>
>>59784191
I don't think so. use an adapter. what language do you speak
>>
>>59784207
>use an adapter
But I can't because there's no graphics cards that have DVI with VGA.
>>
>>59784126
Alright. Was looking as cases with 2 drive bays so I could add an SD card reader at some point.

Not giving my discord atm.
>>
>>59784224
what
>>
>>59784224
You mean you need it to be actually analog? You use an active converter.

For pure unmolested VGA now days, you get an old card or integrated graphics as most motherboards have VGA out.

>>59784236
>Alright. Was looking as cases with 2 drive bays so I could add an SD card reader at some point.
So don't use an optical drive since it's not 2004 anymore and just use the SD card reader in there.
Or pick a different mATX case.

>Not giving my discord atm.
please imouto
>>
>>59783935
If it was me I'd do something like this and hunt that extra $30 from down the back of the couch:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rYc7h

You're going to want fast, dual channel RAM if you're relying on the igpu. Avoid single stick stuff. Don't worry about timings - frequency and bandwidth are more important than tight timings in this situation.

Don't ditch the SSD. Really. You will never look back. If the $30 is going to make or break you then you could probably save on the PSU as even that's overkill in a build like this, but at that point your sacrificing modularity. Leave yourself enough overhead to add a discrete GPU some day - drop in an rx470 or something and you've got a nice little super-budget 1080p gaming rig. You could get a cheaper case but you're going to have to look at the thing so choose wisely.
>>
>>59784261
>Or pick a different mATX case.
That's what I'm doing right now.
>>
File: 20170407_193224-1.jpg (994KB, 1723x2902px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_193224-1.jpg
994KB, 1723x2902px
Hey, I've just put this together and when turned on I get no display, not even a happy beep nor a BIOS, I've tried putting components in at a time to help, but I'm getting the same outcome. Any ideas, /g/?
>>
>>59784285
shut up and give me your discord~

>>59784279
>https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rYc7h
That case and PSU work.

>>59784314
sounds like dead motherboard or PSU.
Is your PSU switch on?
>>
>>59784328
The fans come on though, and obviously from that the PSU and motherboard should be fine.
>>
>>9784261
>You mean you need it to be actually analog
Of course, why else would I use VGA?
>>
>>59784314
Try re-seating the RAM. It sounds stupid, but improperly seated RAM can sometimes cause the issue you describe.
>>
>>59784354
Alright, I'll try booting it now.
>>
>>59784354
lmao there's no fucking RAM in there. RESEAT WHAT
>>
>>59784314
haha you retard >>59784365
>>
File: 20170407_194155-1.jpg (921KB, 1834x2726px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_194155-1.jpg
921KB, 1834x2726px
>>59784365
What was that?
>>
File: 1478239742125.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478239742125.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>59772917
>salty/g/.jpg
>>
File: ssd.png (25KB, 1181x171px) Image search: [Google]
ssd.png
25KB, 1181x171px
is this a good deal?
from Ireland so had to snoop around on amazon for free shipping to give me this price, locally the cost is 15 euro higher and on neweggs it's about 20 cents more
>>
>>59784387
I'm still not receiving any video output even after the RAM reset
>>
>>59784410
>is this a good deal
not really. average.

also
>get it in 8 days
holy shit Amazon delivers stuff to me in like 4 hours. Why do you guys pay so much taxes and shit to still be living in the cold war era with technology?

>>59784387
You got me.
Sounds like dead video then, huh. Or dead PCIe slot.
>>
>>59784279
This does look nice. I was just looking at that PSU too.

My only change so far would be this case.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yNdqqs/xion-case-xon560bk

II haven't thought about using an SSD< nor have I ever used one so I can't say whether or not it's a necessity.
>>
File: 20170407_194949-1.jpg (865KB, 1677x2981px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_194949-1.jpg
865KB, 1677x2981px
>>59784445
I've only been trying with the on-board VGA and one of the HDMI ports on the GPU. Fuck.
>>
>>59784487
Oh boys, I've done it.
>>
>>59784487
uh the onboard one won't work unless it's an APU with no dGPU plugged in. Only the GPU outputs.
Maybe the HDMI is dead. Does the GPU get a little warm on the back of it or the heatsink fins?

>>59784462
>that case
fuck you
>>
>>59784517
I am working with an APU, but it's all good now. I just took the stick of RAM out and ran it for about a minute, put it back in and it works.
Thanks guys.
>>
>>59784462
Your taste in cases is bad.
I thought you'd be cute since you were so dumb, but obviously not.

I don't want your discord anymore.
>>
>>59783236
Yeah 420 is a bit beyond my budget, any opinion of that one I linked? If not I'll just get the benq
>>
>>59784462
>My only change so far would be this case.
>http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yNdqqs/xion-case-xon560bk
Sweet merciful christ...

>>59784462
>II haven't thought about using an SSD< nor have I ever used one so I can't say whether or not it's a necessity.
Not strictly necessary, obviously, but it's an enormous quality of life boost. Probably the single best upgrade I ever made and this was coming from a couple of top-end spinning rust drives in RAID 1. That SK hynix is particularly good bang:buck too, within pissing distance of the mid-range go-to 850 evo and comparatively dirt cheap. If budget's an issue and you can't shave off a few dollars elsewhere the lower capacity version is worth a look but in all honesty you're going to want anything you use regularly sitting on there so I wouldn't be inclined to go any smaller.
>>
>>59784517
>fuck you
lol. The Fractal Design case does what I need. I'll look into this build spec.

Aside

>>59784542
>I don't want your discord anymore.
mission accomplished.
Computers aren't my area of expertise. Cars are. The case reminded me of when you used to see riced out Honda Civics with underglow everywhere. Was nostalgic for me. Now all you see is stanced garbage that can't make it over a speedbump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laY58SCJRLw
>>
someone stop me from putting 200$ down for a S2600CP C602 + 2x E5-2670's
>>
>>59784645
The heart wants what it wants, man. It just happens to be the case that your heart is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>59784659
somehow your post made me want to do it more
>>
>>59784279
Now. Can someone please explain to me the difference between the 2400 Ram I had picked out, and the 2800 ram he picked out?
>>
Which B250/H270 boards would be the best investment for an individual not interested in overclocking?
>>
>>59784645
If you can OC them to 4Ghz, go for it.

What's the total, anyway? $2k?

>>59784617
>mission accomplished.
You sound cuter now that you're into cars. pls imouto
>>
File: 1489454563111.jpg (33KB, 720x795px) Image search: [Google]
1489454563111.jpg
33KB, 720x795px
>>59773791
Locked, sadly
>>
>>59784689
>OC
>E*
>C602
wew anon are you high
>>
>>59784685
what cpu?
>>
>>59784645
>200 dollaritoes
>for that
You could re-sell that for 400~800, go for it.
>>
>>59784732
i5-7600
>>
>>59784740
lmao he said put 200 DOWN.
Not total cost.

>>59784724
>are you high
why aren't you

>>59784749
>i5-7600
garbage
>>
>>59784684
>>
File: 1488420066835.jpg (42KB, 898x886px) Image search: [Google]
1488420066835.jpg
42KB, 898x886px
>>59784763
>>
>>59784685
>H270
None in 99% of cases, unless it's cheaper than the cheapest B250 that meets your needs.
>B250
Whatever's cheapest and has the features you need, basically. 1151's a dying socket so if you're looking for future proofing you're shit out of luck. Go with what works for you now and don't spend an arm and a leg.

>>59784684
http://www.alphr.com/features/230484/what-does-ram-speed-mean
Stops at explaining DDR3, but you get the picture. RAM speed doesn't generally have a huge effect on current Intel stuff with the general advice being not to worry too much about it and just get the fastest kit that's within your budget, but the difference is a little bit more pronounced when using the igpu. That kit just happened to be well priced for a decent enough speed, no real deliberation in it.
>>
>>59784758
>put down
>without an initial pricing or comparison
By this conclusion I come to the obvious concept that said anon is a TARD but meant 200 dollars for said combination.
>>
>>59784788
RAM speed matters.
All but Z270 are generally limited to 2400mhz, though.
Because intel are fucking jews.

But the reason that RAM was chosen by that other Anon is that it will downclock to 2400 at tighter timings. But imo I'd go with the Kingston I linked for only $12 more.

>>59784684
I already gave you the best build, you dumb slut. You just had to change the case, and the PSU if getting a larger case that fits a larger PSU.

>>59784815
I doubt he's getting those for $200. Instead has to secure it with $200.
>>
>>59784749
3 days brah
>>
>>59784689
>>59784740
>>59784758
>>59784835
50$ * 2 + 130$, not exactly 200$ but close enough
>OC
I'm pretty certain the workstation/server board in hand isn't for sale

Nearby company is moving, improving and upgrading so I can get that + a lot of other goodies for a bargain.
>4GB DDR3-1333 ECC ram for 10 dollars each
lamo
>>
>>59784948
>isn't for sale
doesn't have the ability to overclock*
jesus fuck
>>
>>59776664
Wtf is with that gpu nigga, get yourself a 10s series
>>
>>59784835
>I already gave you the best build, you dumb slut.
Thank you for that. And though I may not be fond of the case, it's most likely what I'll use, minus the SSD
>>
>>59785170
I didn't give you the SSD one

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/97G39W
Replace the case to something you want there if you want. And if it's a larger case and uses a larger PSU, replace the PSU as well.
>>
>>59780725
Just buy it on eBay dude, there are at least two. One is $475, which is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>59772917
I have around €600 but I still want to buy the R5 1600 instead of the G4560, no GPU for the start.
>>
>>59786227
Well you're fucked since they don't have an iGPU.

Unless you have a back up GPU, or can find a 7970 for €50, that's going to be hard.
You could try checking thrift stores, or whatever you call them there.
>>
>>59786295
>not installing ESXi and RDSing into the VM from a thin client/laptop
>>
>>59786295
Damn it's just so close to the rx500 I'd like to pair them right now cause I've got free time. I guess I can dig something out to serve me for a couple weeks.
I might just go for 1050ti, I'm aiming for a mini ITX build
>>
>>59786356
Don't you want a virtualized GPU as well in that scenario?
But... yeah sure that would work just for computing.
>>
>>59786396
You can use software virtualization to provide basic graphical output.
>>
>>59786392
the RX470 is cheaper and 40-50% better than the 1050Ti but... yeah kind of shit for miniITX.

It looks like the RX500 is far better perf/watt than the RX400 was, so we may see some mITX RX570 cards.

It basically looks like the "average" RX500 card is going to be as perf/watt efficient as those golden XFX GTRs which were only slightly behind the average 1060 perf/watt.

At that perf/watt, they should be able to make a mITX RX570 that's over 50% as powerful as a 1050Ti.

>>59786414
Yeah I know. That's what I meant at the end.
>>
>>59786414
It's also the only reliable way to install and use Windows 7 on Ryzen, since the OS will be running on a hypervisor layer that's already well supported by Microsoft.
>>
>>59786468
That sounds heavenly, so tired of waiting but it's worth it you don't get GPU releases every other day
>>
>>59786565
Why not just buy a Nano? It's more powerful than the RX 480, as cheap as an RX 480, and it's an ITX
>>
>>59786683
>nano

lol
>>
What's this I'm hearing about where there's free software that's basically freesync? Do you need a display port/AMD or anything to use it?
>>
>>59786765
It's getting older now but nothing wrong with a Nano if you can get it at a good price. If you could find one for $250 that'd be a steal.
>>
>>59786683
The nano is too expensive. Wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, the 1450-1500 stock custom OC RX500s look to be just as powerful as the R9 Fury and Nano at 1080p.
They might overclock another 8-15% too (okay, likely not 15).
The assumption on the first announcement of the rebrand was that they were just more power hungry overclocked RX400s, but it's looking now like there has very clearly been process refinements.

The high binned GPUs like XFX got for their GTRs will be extremely potent if 1450-1500 is what many manufacturers are reaching with average dies.

This is similar to like the 7970 I got way back then.
MSI got golden silicon bins of the GPU dies, made a custom PCB. I got 1325mhz on air stable up from the 925mhz stock on that on an acceptable voltage (1.2something from the 1.15-1.175 stock) compared to the 1170-1180 that most considered good on them.
Not all GPU dies are equal just like GPUs.

>>59786990
> If you could find one for $250 that'd be a steal.
ya can't. An R9 Fury you can get for $240. But that's looking like it might not be worth it except for "30fps 4k" with how the RX500 is looking.
>>
>>59786800
>What's this I'm hearing about where there's free software that's basically freesync? Do you need a display port/AMD or anything to use it?
It's called underclocking your monitor and setting max framerate to that frequency.

>>59786683
Oh nvm you were talking about for mITX...

okay if you could find a Nano for $250, yes that's good for mITX. I don't like buying used GPUs myself.
>>
>>59787038
I just don't think enough Nanos were ever made/sold into the market because there's really no way to justify the prices out there now, must just be because of scarcity/novelty that they're priced so high. It should be retailing at like $265-$300 based on performance.

Also, wouldn't monitor underclocks look like shit? Are you talking about say, setting it to 30 Hz so you can aim for 4k30fps? 30 fps just looks so shit to me.
>>
>>59787038
>It's called underclocking your monitor and setting max framerate to that frequency.
Out of curisoity, what would be the difference between under-clocking the monitor and just capping the FPS to that frequency?
>>
>>59787134
Sell the macbook and buy 3 PCs you cunt.
>>
>>59787134
I'm not that guy who announces reports, but you're just begging [literally] to get banned. Fuck off
>>
>>59787091
Yeah. I'm hoping the 1070 price range Vega is a "Nano" successor.
Both powerful, reasonably priced, and fits mITX.

>Also, wouldn't monitor underclocks look like shit
No. Underclocking below your minimum framerate keeps it smooth and keeps it from tearing. It will look like a consistently lower FPS.

>what would be the difference between under-clocking the monitor and just capping the FPS to that frequency
no screen tearing.

If I'm wrong here, please correct me, but I'm fairly certain this is true.

>>59787182
lmfao
>>
thinking about upgrading my T61's drive to a SSD, with a modified BIOS its limited to SATA II speeds... (3 Gb/s)

Whats a good budget SSD since I figure it will be supercapped by SATA II, I don't want to do overkill.

Think 256gb is enough for Linux/Windows?
>>
RX480 drivers still crashing on me for no reason, even with latest clean installed drivers lmao
>>
File: Leaffeels.png (458KB, 680x650px) Image search: [Google]
Leaffeels.png
458KB, 680x650px
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HFZxjc

First build made with Maple Syrup money.
Gaming wise, I like 4X and management stuff, like CIV VI, Stellaris, Cities Skyline. Might give Nier:Automata a try since everybody and their mom are raving about it.

Will be use for music production mostly. A max budget of 2000$, but any saving will be put in buying better musical gear.

How did I do?
>>
>>59787219
To add..
My understanding is that you get screen tearing when:
the monitor is continuously trying to refresh at a frequency. When it receives a new frame in the middle of displaying the last frame, because the framerate and monitor frequency are mismatched, it makes a tear.
If you have have two circles turning with 60 marks on one, 75 on the other, and turn those at equal rates, you'll see where the lines occasionally overlap instead of meshing like gears.

With Freesync, the monitor will display the frame once received, within some limits. That eliminates screen tearing.
But as far as I can see, simply underclocking your monitor to the minimum framerate you get in a game and setting the max framerate to the amount will also roughly eliminate it.
>>
first time building pc.

tell me things i dont know please.
>>
buy a used 1080 on the cheap now or wait for vega?
>>
>>59787474
always wait for the competition of the same generation to come out
>>
>>59787219
>>what would be the difference between under-clocking the monitor and just capping the FPS to that frequency
But now we're looping, vsync set to the refresh rate would also prevent tearing. What would be the difference between vsync set at 1/1 and underclocking to the refresh rate?

>>59787413
>simply underclocking your monitor to the minimum framerate you get in a game and setting the max framerate to the amount will also roughly eliminate it.
The minimum framerate? I'm buying a 144hz monitor but in a few games notably I have to run vsync to cap my FPS at 60 (60hz) because otherwise FPS runs between 90-120 and makes my GPU's fan go nuts. After I buy this monitor I'm trying to find some decent balance of minimal screen tearing, fan calmness and reasonably high FPS (72-90ish?)
>>
I've been looking to get a new monitor and I have an old 2010 macbook pro lying around, could I run it through an lcd control board or is the monitor connector proprietary?
>>
>>59787346
Be aware that you won't reach 3200+ memory speeds without an external clock generator, or maybe in the upcoming May update.

-I would not recommend ADATA SSD. Go for Crucial or Sandisk for budget SSD.
-That's so much money for an RX480 4GB.. Consider just getting an RX470? Or wait for RX500.
-Most cheap EVGA PSUs are ass. Get a Seasonic gold semi modular like the 550RM.

>>59787474
how "cheap"?
They sometimes sell new for $420 yet I still see the used ones going for $450 from cucks that don't want to lose too much that they overpaid on a month ago.

Should wait for Vega. It will be better at 4K almost certainly, and more future proof. You shouldn't be buying a 1080 for 1080p to begin with.

>>59787514
>What would be the difference between vsync set at 1/1 and underclocking to the refresh rate?
This question doesn't make sense, but I need to go.

>I have to run vsync to cap my FPS at 60 (60hz) because otherwise FPS runs between 90-120 and makes my GPU's fan go nuts
You should have a setting in your GPU utility/driver to set a max framerate separate from 60, and without the downside vsync often introduces in many game engines.

>>59787517
>macbook pro
no, you need like 13 different converted connected together.
>>
>>59787503
Always wait for the next generation, it'll be a lot better than what you can buy right now.
>>
So I just put everything together and nothing seems to be receiving power. I tested out my PSU with the little tester thing it shipped with and the unit's fan turns on when I switch it on. It might not be spinning very quickly, or I may just be paranoid, honestly not sure at this point.

It's an EVGA G2 PSU. Not sure how to go about diagnosing what exactly is the problem. Other parts for posterity:

>Tomahawk b350
>R7 1700
>R9 390
>2 sticks of 8gb RAM
>SSD, HDD
>>
>>59787538
>This question doesn't make sense, but I need to go.
Having vsync set at my refresh rate vs. underclocking at my monitor's refresh rate
>You should have a setting in your GPU utility/driver to set a max framerate separate from 60, and without the downside vsync often introduces in many game engines.
Wouldn't this introduce tearing if FPS ran at a divisor above a divisor of the refresh rate?

Assuming you didn't leave or somebody else wants to respond to my retardation
>>
>>59787558
Disconnect everything except for one stick of RAM. See if it turns on, if it doesn't and you have confirmed that the PSU is working correctly, it's either the mainboard or the CPU. If it turns on, add 2nd stick of RAM, SSD, HDD, GPU, one after the other and see which one makes it stop turning on, then replace it.
>>
>>59787558
Did you try rebooting a few times?

>It might not be spinning very quickly, or I may just be paranoid
irrelevant. It could potentially POST with no fan at all. (but don't try that)

>Tomahawk B350
That's probably your problem. That's literally the worst board right now. People are reporting it takes 24 seconds for it to even POST... did you try just leaving it on for a minute?

>Having vsync set at my refresh rate
Most game's "vsync" option sets it to 60fps max even if your monitor is higher or lower than that because of shitty programming.
>>
>>59787607
>Did you try rebooting a few times?

It won't even boot in the first place. Not even the PSU fan spins when I have it all connected together. It simply won't turn on.

>>59787592
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>59787640
>Not even the PSU fan spins
My PSU fan has never spun even one full rotation lmao, it would only come on at well over 300W of load. All the good PSUs have that zero-fan mode.
>>
>>59787538
>Be aware that you won't reach 3200+ memory speeds without an external clock generator, or maybe in the upcoming May update.

>-Most cheap EVGA PSUs are ass. Get a Seasonic gold semi modular like the 550RM.

Thanks a bunch.
Yeah I figured I'd have to wait a bit before getting proper memory clocks.
Isn't 550W a bit low if I plan on overclocking?
>>
>>59787543
I'm not saying that you ass. waiting one month isnt the same as waiting 12+
>>
>>59787690
You should wait the 2080 ti, just saying. It's probably gonna dwarf the current get GPUs. Why would you want to have something inferior next year? Just save your money.
>>
>>59787315
I did the same thing with my T60 last year. Just went with a cheap Sandisk 128 gb. Works fine, definitely snappier than the HDD.
>>
>>59787558
Should've gotten a 970.
>>
>>59787703
nah man dont wait at all buy 3 1080 ti's right now in sli, and upgrade every year buying as many at once as possible.
>>
>>59787731
What have you done
>>
>>59787737
Actually, 1080 tis don't work well in SLI. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 1070s beat 2 1080 tis.
>>
>>59787765
yeah but dont wait, BUY NOW! BE THE BEST NOW!
>>
>>59787791
QUAD 1080 SLI BROOO, YOU'LL NEED 4X1080 BECAUSE 4K IS 4 TIMES THE PIXELS AS 1080!!!
>>
>>59787808
buy 8K curves screen right now don't wait at all.

make max use of that trippple 1080 ti monster beast
>>
>>59787683
>Isn't 550W a bit low if I plan on overclocking?
You're not going to pull more than 150W from that CPU even with an OC.
Especially not on the stock cooler where you should stick under 1.325-1.35v, which is usually 3.75-3.85ghz unless you get golden silicon.

Even if you get a custom waterloop for both the CPU and GPU and bring the GPU up to 1.25v and CPU to 1.425v, you're still going to use well under 550w, man.

>>59787791
BE THE BEST NOW
>get cucked in a month.
BUT BE THE BEST NOW
>>
File: 1480219036173.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1480219036173.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>59787823
USE ALL THE SLOTS
>>
>>59787592
I did as you advised and it wouldn't boot the first try. Is there any way to confirm which of the two it is between the mobo and CPU, or should I send them both back?
>>
>>59787731
kek
>>
>>59787844
10 bucks says it's the mainboard, not grounding yourself properly while handling it might fry it to death. CPUs are pretty sturdy. If it's no hassle, send both back and be sure.
>>
>>59787844
Connect all components and disconnect the front panel headers from the mobo. Turn power supply on. Use a flat head screwdriver to lightly touch the PWR connections. This should boot the PC sane as if you hit the power button. This can rule out whether you have the panel connected improperly.
>>
>>59787844
Did you read the thing about turning it on and waiting because that motherboard is shit and can take 24+ seconds to POST?
>>
>>59787924
That'd be pretty irrelevant, if it takes that long, it may as well be broken.
>>
>>59787538
>>59787517 here
so then do you think I'll make money selling it broken or upgrading it?
>>
How bad will semen get clogged inside a radiator like an alphacool or ekwb? Will it corrode the metal?
>>
>>59787895
Yeah, I've been doing this to make sure.

>>59787924
I've left it on for several minutes and no dice. I'd like to be clear here that it seems that nothing is receiving power. No fans whirring, no LEDs, nothing.
>>
>>59788010
And by "on" I mean I have the power supply hooked into the wall, turned on, and I've touched the power connections.
>>
>>59788010
The fans are powered by the mainbard, usually. If the GPU has a status LED that should glow, but doesn't, it might be the PSU afterall.
>>
Ok so I have a friend with a laptop. Its the dell 15 7000.
I want to prove that the pc is superior to laptops. Is there a build with exactly the same specs. Here is the laptop:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf408s
Ps he got it for only 1,100
>>
>>59788034
My card doesn't but I tried hooking things up to my old PSU that I know for sure works, and the results were the same. No power.
>>
>>59772917
>How bad will semen get clogged inside a radiator like an alphacool or ekwb? Will it corrode the metal?

Just run it under some water and dry thoroughly if your very concerned.

Also how exactly did it get there?
>>
>>59788087
Get the mainboard exchange, for a better model if you can.
>>
>>59788050
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QTpgHN
Your friend is a fucking retard
>>
>>59773709
Aside from stutter?

Yes.
>>
>>59773808
>Piledriver
>In the year of our lord
I own one and no, it isn't worth it.
>>
>>59788120
I'm asking for a prank. I know a dickass nigga who has a custom watercooling loop with that white pastel nanofluid that looks like cum. How much damage can actual semen do?
>>
>>59788087
and the PSU pins are plugged into all the GPU power sockets, right..?
Idk. You got the shittiest motherboard which doesn't help, though

>>59788050
bait

>>59773709
Do you want to stay above 60fps minimum?
>>
>>59782172
Don't believe that shill, he's using examples of software which is thought to be multi-threaded but actually turns out to gain nothing in terms of performance from more cores, like certain segments of Photoshit.

Basically he's a shill who tries to obscure the truth.
>>
>>59788219
What about the monitor and speakers?
>>
>>59788279
If it leaks, which who knows what it might do since loops were never designed with cum in mind, it could take out the whole damn thing.

The cum could cause damage to the loop itself.

If it doesn't dissipate heat as well and your friend is riding an overclock without thermal damage prevention, you could destroy several of his components at once.

Basically don't do it.
Stop screwing around with cum like like some sort of fag.
>>
>>59788366
>>59788219
Not to mention the case, mouse, and keyboard.
>>
>>59788397
Sweet, thanks for the info.
>>
>>59788366
>>59788410
Not even gonna bother because this is bait. You're trying to compare a thermally throttled CPU+GPU that's portable to a higher performing and higher resolution desktop that's not portable.

Both of you are fucking retards
>>
First non-OC board available. A320

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145008&cm_re=am4_motherboard-_-13-145-008-_-Product

$70. 3200mhz mem support(!) mATX.
This might have been exciting if it was $15 less or mITX.

>>59788448
7700HQ isn't just thermally throttled. Its max turbo clocks are like 3.6Ghz instead of 4.5 or whatever.
>>
Is there something wrong with mixing RAM of different speeds and timings?
>>
>>59788494
yes. dont
>>
>>59788543
I currently have:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8E8ZMY/
and got:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-ValueRAM-KVR1333D3N9-8G/dp/B0069RXHF8
For free, so i guess its better selling it to someone instead of using it after all.
>>
Is the mini 1060 worth it?
I just wanna play some games man.
>>
>>59788638
6GB Zotac mini?
Yes.
>>
>>59788645
No, the 6 gb version is like 100 dollars more here.
Im going 3 gb for now
>>
>>59788669
Get the RX 480 then?
>>
>>59788672
I would, but AMD is non-existent in my country.
>>
File: IMG_0032.jpg (68KB, 693x501px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
68KB, 693x501px
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CGNGD8

Rate it
>>
>>59788726
Looks great, though I'd pay a few bucks more for a seasonic 550w semi-modular gold since it's something that'll probably stick with you for 10 years (unless you plan to go SFX or SFF PSU in the future)
>>
Ayy LMAO
Can someone rate this new autist's build?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLbvcc

Don't worry, for those who will call me it, I am retarded.
>>
>>59788742
Where is it a few dollars more? I'm seeing it for 90$
>>
>>59788786
the Seasonic 550RM? Should be $60-$70.
>>
>>59788769
>spending over $200 per thread
>shitty as fuck memory when spending so much on an overpriced CPU
>shit meme cooler when there's way better options cheaper or at the same price
>unlocked CPU on locked board
>horribly overpriced RX480, when it's not even the best model
>literally only the case and PSU is any good
kill yourself
>>
is water cooling a meme? Is it really that much better than good air cooling? Do you take out insurance on your components should the tubing and/or pumps fail and douse your rig in shitty chinese water?
>>
>>59788769
Dont buy a K processor, you cant even OC in that mobo.
Buy a cheaper motherboard.
More ram sticks.
>>
>>59788811
Let's say I can't do that due to giftcard and retailer limitations.

Would I be fucking my rig over?
>>
>>59788893
It depends
The average user is probably gonna play games so it is a meme in that case.
>>
>>59788945
Well it's not even semi-modular so it'll hurt for cable clutter.
And the cheap EVGA are pretty poor quality. Not the worst, but not great.
But if you have no affordable semi-modular higher quality PSU options, it's not going to ruin it I don't think.

>>59788893
>Is it really that much better than good air cooling?
For a custom loop? Yes
For AIOs? 5% difference in cooling, but they're far louder and cost way more. And they fail more and are then harder to repair.

Using better thermal paste than artic silver 5 makes a much bigger difference.
>>
>>59784617
alright guys. I'm back. I really didn't like that Fractal Design case, so I swapped a few things around. Case and motherboard were swapped for the sole reason of a theme. Thoughts? I was going for something I could upgrade later as I got further into computers.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7h8dcc
>>
>>59789000
You made it cost so much more money with that gay ass case, but aren't getting the better RAM that's only $12 more.

I really want to bend you over and punish you.
>>
>>59789028
>with that gay ass case
Well, that checks out then.

I know there's better RAM out there. But for what I want, I think this will be perfectly fine.
>>
>>59789054
seriously though why are you getting the fucktarded huge case?
Why the ATX motherboard? What are you going to put in those PCI slots?

Lmao you're going to have this huge ass empty case.
People are going to come over and see and be like whaaaooo what you got in there

You'd save like $15 on the motherboard and at least $30 on the case going mATX.
You could even go mITX and get one of those tiny meme boxes or a slim console looking thing.
>>
are wifi USB sticks a meme?

I don't have LAN in my dorm
>>
>>59789097
>seriously though why are you getting the fucktarded huge case?
I'd have likely ended up with a mid-tower like that anyways.

>Why the ATX motherboard?
I've been going for mATX motherboards this entire time. Are you paying attention or did you forget to take your ritalin today?

>What are you going to put in those PCI slots?
Likely a nVidia graphics card at some point in the future. Maybe other things depending on my future needs. Besides affordability, the main idea here was to get something I could upgrade should my needs immediately change, ie: something I could very easily turn into a nice budget gaming desktop if I get further into PC gaming.
>>
File: rffZPl2.jpg (525KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
rffZPl2.jpg
525KB, 3264x2448px
>>59789180
dude lol. No way. No one uses those anymore.
I have a case like that size. I regret it so much. Most of us that bought into them regreted it.
We got them because GPUs were huge around 2010-2013. And cases had inefficient layouts to fit the.

You think it'll be good for upgrading, but no it'll just be unwieldy and huge. You'll never fill up all those drive bays. You'll never fill up all those PCI slots. You'll never use 2 GPUs because 1 big one is better, and even if you did there are mATX boards that support 2 GPUs.

Now I'm getting this.
It's like a quarter the size of my last case, that case. Still fits a 12.59" long GPU when the biggest GPU on the market is an inch shorter.
Still fits like 2 HDDs and 4 or more SSDs.

ATX boards are so pointless now days for a PC.
>>
>>59789236
Alright, since what someone else does bothers you so much, make a build for what YOU think I should do and link it.

Doesn't mean I'll listen.
>>
>>59789261
The fractal one someone else gave was good. I'm not looking through cases for you.
I think you should just look are more mATX ones. Or even mITX. Just so long as it has a HDD bay. You don't need multiple HDD bays, since you'll get SSDs later.

You have this idea that there's all sorts of shit you can put in those PCI slots, but there just isn't. 99.99% of people only put a single GPU in one of them and that's it. There's a small handful that might add a sound card.
You'll also likely replace your motherboard when it comes time to upgrade since LGA1151 is an EoL socket.
Which is why I originally said you might want to wait and spend an extra $100 for one of the upcoming Ryzen APUs (Ryzen with integrated graphics) since that'll be way better and way more upgradeable, but they aren't out yet and will cost a bit more.

Anyway, a mATX case will generally fit a fuckhuge GPU just fine. Just look for one that accepts something around 240-320mm GPU. GPUs are getting smaller, not bigger.
Some of the upcoming Vega GPUs will probably be the same length as a mITX board, so roughly 150mm.
>>
>>59772917
got a good deal on 2 x 970 SLI, should I pull the trigger?

It's either that or I pay out of my ass for a 1070 which is worse, or pay the same price for an rx 480
>>
>>59789438
buy them, resell them for more, and get an RX480.

970 are fucking garbage. They do worse in some games than the RX460 and 1050 because of their slow 0.5Gb of VRAM when a game uses over 3.5Gb.
>>
>>59789161
>I don't have LAN in my dorm
Haha what
>>
>>59789408
>You have this idea that there's all sorts of shit you can put in those PCI slots, but there just isn't. 99.99% of people only put a single GPU in one of them and that's it. There's a small handful that might add a sound card.
Most mATX cases are bland and look like ass. It's why I started looking at mid-tower cases in the first place. This is the other case I was considering.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353080&ignorebbr=1

>You'll also likely replace your motherboard when it comes time to upgrade since LGA1151 is an EoL socket.
fair enough, but how much longer would I have to wait for that to happen?

>Which is why I originally said you might want to wait and spend an extra $100 for one of the upcoming Ryzen APUs (Ryzen with integrated graphics) since that'll be way better and way more upgradeable, but they aren't out yet and will cost a bit more.
Would prefer to stay Intel.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.