[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Linux.png (33KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
Linux.png
33KB, 280x330px
What is the best version of the Linux operating system to use?

I am not tech-savvy, but need something I can run a laptop from that doesn't have a hard drive.
>>
>>59710937
*GNU/Linux
>>
>>59710937
>doesn't have a hard drive.
Puppy Linux.
>>
>>59710937
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59710937
PCLinuxOS
>>
File: nadia-NEXT-jonduenas-05 (1).jpg (334KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nadia-NEXT-jonduenas-05 (1).jpg
334KB, 1200x1600px
Can you guys give me reasons for your suggestions?
>>
>>59710937
Install Gentoo
>>
File: 1487649271968.jpg (55KB, 501x786px) Image search: [Google]
1487649271968.jpg
55KB, 501x786px
>>59711083

Can this be installed on USB or SD Card?
>>
>>59710955
/thread
>>
>>59711076
>>>/g/fglt
Everything ITT is memes.
>>
>>59711076
Puppy is specifically made to run without a hard drive, from a usb stick. With the others it's a live cd or crappy hack at best.
>>
Hi OP I personally find Linux 16.10 to be very good
>>
>>59711238
Your bait is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>59710937
Almost any Linux distro can be installed on a USB or SD card -- so not only is a hard drive not necessary in the bigger picture, it's not even necessary in the general case. Just pick one.

If you're not tech-savvy, and you're not used to GNU/Linux's style of UIs, I'd recommend Elementary OS, from https://elementary.io.
Some pros:
* Beautiful. Probably the most beautifully simple UI I've ever seen on a GNU/Linux distro.
* It's a fork of Ubuntu, so you get access to the Debian package manager and Debian repositories -- which, in comparison to other package managers and repositories, are noteworthy for being exceptionally easy to use and exceptionally up-to-date (the latter often at the cost of stability).
* Pretty fast.
Some cons:
* Can be hard to find support for problems. If you can't find anything searching on "[problem or question you have] Elementary OS," I'd recommend "[problem or question you have] Ubuntu"; they're similar enough that it's likely to get you somewhere.
* The download LOOKS like it's behind a paywall. It actually isn't; where it prompts you to name your price, you can enter 0. However, you have to actually *manually enter 0*; it's not an option. I don't know about you, but that sure made me feel like a piece of shit. Couldn't be helped, though; I was broke at the time.
>>
How do i get into learning about GNU/Linux?
>>
>>59711490
Google it
>>
>>59711532
Do you think this would be a great site learning about the differences and what GNU/Linux is about?

>https://www.gnu.org/
>>
>>59711151
Oh, of course. Just google the guides for it. They're VERY clear and helpful.
>>
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 'Serena'
>>
>>59710937
Just curious, why are you using a laptop without a hard drive?
>>
File: P6c2CGF.png (891KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
P6c2CGF.png
891KB, 1920x1080px
>>59710937

Xubuntu, ChaletOS, Antergos XFCE, and Manjaro XFCE are all pretty comfy.
>>
>>59710937

As (you) just discovered, "best"is such a ridiculously vague term that ((you)) will not get a useful answer.

> not tech-savvy
> run a laptop from
> doesn't have a hard drive

That does help, but how about tech specifications for the laptop, model number even, what (((you))) will use it for.

Is that too much to ask for?

Bonus: why no hard drive? Even a small SSD, like 128 GB or 64 GB, can be had for minimal investment and would make quite the difference.

It is also possible to run some distros from a USB flash drive.

Google "pen drive linux" for all sorts of options.

Not knowing much other than your OP, I'll assume it's a laptop with fairly limited capability. Look into Fedora with LXDE. Debian/LXDE would be equivalent in capabilities & tech knowledge required, just slightly different. Both are incredibly stable for general working computers and, paired with LXDE, will run comfortably fast on 1 GB RAM if necessary, and shine with 4 GB.
>>
Tails can be run from a USB drive, in fact, you never install Tails even if you have a hard drive. It's meant for privacy, and routes all traffic through Tor.

https://tails.boum.org/
>>
>>59711490

Oh, look. There's this thing called THE FUCKING STICKY.

Maybe read it?

- >>51971506

> pro-hint: there might even be links to resources in it
>>
>>59710937
As others anons said, if you really don't have a hard drive your best option (for beginners) would be puppy linux.
>>
>>59710937
any *buntu

Xubuntu is probably the best
>>
>>59713371
And by that we mean grab a puppy and shove it into your computer.
>>
>>59710946
>>
File: fedoraman.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
fedoraman.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>59710956
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.