[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 28

File: arch-symbol.png (4KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
arch-symbol.png
4KB, 300x300px
Previous thread: >>59691621

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
>tfw can't make a decision for a distro
too many choices reeeeeee
>>
>>59700835
forget about the memes and just install Mint or Ubuntu
>>
Is there a way to set an environment variable for an application being launched in a desktop entry similar to how you'd set one just for the launched application in a terminal.

Eg. turning:
$ SOMEVAR=value application

in to:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Some App
Environment=SOMEVAR:value
Exec=application
>>
>>59700848
According to:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

I can't find it.
>>
>>59700848
I don't know for a specific app, but if you want you can have a variable in the environment for everything.

Or create a shell script:
#!/bin/sh -e

export SOMEVAR=value
exec someapp
>>
>>59700835
Distro is only the first choice, after that there will come lots and lots of more choices.
Either learn how to not be an undecisive beta faggot or give up.
>>
>>59700866
Yeah that's where I looked and couldn't find it and was wondering if I was just retarded. Seems like a weird thing to not have support for.

Guess I'll just do a shell script for it and launch the script with the desktop entry.
>>
Is LXQt legit for a netbook? What distro is best for it?
>>
I have issues with KDE, though it normally is pretty good, when I am running a bitcoin node or something the window usually is not smooth. Didn't happen in gnome. What do? Does KDE take a bigger performance hit? I only have a intel g2X series
>>
>>59700881
Gentoo with tty1.
>>
Xfce 4.13 has addressed the screen tearing issue
>>
>>59700930
>addressed the screen tearing issue
So, what did they say? Won't fix?
>>
>>59700952
Look it up
>>
>>59700962
I'm too lazy for that
>>
>>59700975
https://iwf1.com/review-xfce-4-13-desktop-environment-a-noticeable-difference-from-its-predecessor/

> Screen Tearing fixed on Gentoo system, mainly for users of Nvidia cards
>>
I'm confused, KDE or xfce?
I don't really use the gui that much but if someone else uses my computer, which is more new user friendly?
>>
>>59701016
>>59700930

Why do you people think that's an environment issue and not a hardware issue? Intel users with the TearFree option don't have the problem. Neither do Nvidia users with the proprietary drivers using that one option. Everyone else could use a standalone compositor (not the one that comes with xfwm) and fix it.
>>
>>59701078
If you can fix it by using different software, a hardware issue seems pretty unlikely
>>
>>59701019
Both are identical in terms of how intuitive they are- simple. KDE looks a bit better with no modification imo but they can be made to look the same. I prefer xfce because it doesn't use qt
>>
>>59701526
What's wrong with Qt?
>>
>systemd
>>
>>59701541
Everything.
>>
>>59701541
I like gtk because it has tons of great looking themes and is easy to customise
>>
What software is exclusive to GNU/Linux that doesn't have an equal equivalent on windows and Mac?
>>
>>59701616
xterm
i3
ocaml
>>
>>59701616
hjkl
>>
>>59700835
ubuntu gnome

>>59700881
even gnome is legit for a notebook if you turn off the animations
i dont think lxqt is useable enough yet, unless you want to use it to contribute to developement by reporting bugs etc
>>
>>59701616
gentoo
>>
Should i install ubuntu and just ignore the memes
>>
>>59701626
>ocaml
What?
>>
>>59701709
>backed by a business concerned about profit before usability (Canonical)
>Canonical has done shady stuff in the past ie Amazon search. Amazon garbage is still preinstalled.
>No reason to use Ubuntu instead of mint or preferably Debian
No you shouldn't
>>
Please help me pick a distro, I'm new to GNU Linux.
From most to least important:
>pretty screenfetch logo
>Makes me look cool online and irl
>large repos
>minimal
>looks nice
>easy to install
>muh freedumbs
>>
>>59701709
mint is ubuntu without the bullshit.
>>
>>59701785
Doesn't exist, stay at Windows
>>
>>59701751
my Nvidia drivers don't work on Debin
>>
>>59701785
>make one partition with lvms
>make one home lvm
>install unlimited amount of distros with same home and pick your favourite
>>
>>59701742
Try to use OCaml on Windows. That's not a trivial task.
>>
>>59701804
*Debian
>>
>>59701808
I did. Can't remember any problems.
>>
>>59701821
Try yo use Graphics, or to link to Unix.
>>
>>59701841
I'd rather not even touch it anymore.
Still don't know what's your point supposed to be.
>>
>>59701877
So what is your language of choice now?
>>
File: 1490686214846.jpg (27KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1490686214846.jpg
27KB, 326x326px
>>59700823
So, I was trying to install Debian, and it gives me some kind of horseshit about Windows 10 being in some kind of drive format or whatever the fuck, and I'd have to reformat the whole drive and ruin Windows to install it.

Is this something that normally happens to people, or did I make some kind of hideous mistake when installing Windows 10?

(Also, I was using the small version of Debian because I don't have DVD-roms currently, because I'm a fucking disgrace to the universe..)
>>
I have a japanese JIS keyboard and I want to make a use of the kana, half sizing... keys.

How can I remap them in order to emulate the behaviour of the conventional japanese IME?
>>
>>59701901
I'll take anything with C-style syntax over ML
>>
>>59701943
OK, stick to them and doin't use OCaml.
>>
File: perl.gif (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
perl.gif
11KB, 200x200px
is perl programming or scripting?
i see different places calling it scripting and other calling it programming
>>
>>59701929
>it gives me some kind of horseshit about Windows 10 being in some kind of drive format or whatever the fuck,
>and I'd have to reformat the whole drive and ruin Windows to install it.

Have you created a partition for debian?
>>
>>59701956
Scripting is programming.
>>
Can someone tell me which DEs/WMs support middle-click pushing windows behind each other?
>>
>>59701960
I'd need you to explain that to me because I'm stupid.
>>
>>59702079
when you installed windows, did you install it to the entirety of the disk?
if so, you must reduce the size of the windows partition so debian can have space to install to.
>>
>>59701789
Pffffffttttt! If you only knew!
>>
>>59702079
>you create a partition (look at youtube)
>you put the .iso of the new system on a usb drive and you make is bootable. (DiskImager, tutos are on youtube)
>you restart the pc withe usb plugged in and you boot on it, so it boots on the .iso
>you do the install stuff and select the partitiion you've created during the install
>prepare some coffe
>>
>>59702145
This is going to sound strange, but inserting any kind of thumb drive from any make or model causes a bluescreen of death for me. I cannot put anything on them.
>>
>>59701929
Prolly complaining about UEFI. It's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>59702164
Yes, UEFI.
This is my problem.
Someone help.
>>
>>59702173
if you installed Win10 in uefi mode, just boot the installer in uefi too?
>>
>>59702159
Can you burn it on a cd?
>>
>>59702235
I already have, but it was giving me UEFI horseshit when I booted from it and installed normally.
>>
>you can make one piece of proprietary Linux software magically become gpl
what would it be? Nothing huge like windows.
>>
>>59702260
What is the problem?
At first make windows shutdown completely in power options (in windows): fast launch is hibernation mode so unclick it, it will help for a lot of things (ntfs permissions for exemple).
Can you take a picture?
>>
>>59702292
gpl is cancer
>>
>>59702292
>proprietary Linux software
What's that supposed to be?
>>
>>59702292
amd/nvidia gpu drivers.

muh games finally on linux.
>>
>>59702336
(((You)))
Let's pretend this isn't bait: why do you think that? It's a very good license. Open source. Anyone who forks it has to contribute the change back to you, so you can't get screwed like Apple did to freebsd. Any derivatives have to also be GPL, preventing companies from stealing your hard work. The only problem is it's difficult to monetise gpl software, but it's an amazing license, and copyleft is genius.
>>
>>59702366
>difficult to monetise

that's a fucking big problem.
>>
Anyone use Parabola here? How does it compare to plain Arch with a deblobbed kernel? I would just use Arch if there was a coherent policy on free software/a dedicated nonfree repo.
>>
>>59702387
How exactly has GNU/Linux suffered from being not monetised?
>>
>>59700823
been using x11vnc on virtual screen created by xrandr and vnc is slow and the screen is flickering.. it's worst when I put the pointer on to the panel of some of the 2 physical monitors.. any ideas? mint18.1+cinnamon
>>
>>59702414
<2% Desktop market share
>>
>>59702414
nobody cares about GNU/FSF except a certain scab eating autist.
>>
File: 1473501275342.png (75KB, 4000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1473501275342.png
75KB, 4000x2000px
Debian or Fedora for a newbie? Ubuntu is shit.
>>
>>59702476
fedora is test-distro, it's not made to be stable.. Debian is the complete opposite, but not very pretty out-of-the-box
>>
>>59702476
^ + go mint
>>
>>59702484
Debian. If something fucks up, there are terabytes of forums, since ubuntu guides almost always work in it.
>>
>>59702476
Newbuntu. Don't try to be hipster
>>
>>59702513
So Debian is more stable? Can I still install propreitary drivers without a hassle?
>>
>>59702449
Market share wouldn't magically go up if you were charged a fee to use Linux, you retard. Neither would it becoming proprietary. If normies weren't too dumb for Linux it would be at least 10%.
>>
>>59702526
>hipster
debian > *untu
>>
Anyone managed to figure out how to rebind an Nvidia GPU back to host without restarting the Host OS using Xorg?

Can't wait for Wayland to mature so I can hot swap my GPU with minimal hassle.
>>
>>59702526
>Thinks that avoiding a beginner's mistake is being a "hipster"
>>
>>59702452
That's actually the problem why free software is stuck. We could have much more free software and distros with free drivers if people wouldn't accept proprietary software in their systems like 15 years ago and would care more about ideals and ethics.

Today people come into this community and leech the practical benefit free software gives, but they do nothing to defend it. That's sad.
>>
>>59702598
Avoiding a distro just because you've read somewhere on the internet that it's shit is as hipster as it gets.
>>
>>59702610
Except, you know, in this case, it's actually shit.

You may as well consider taking any advice to be pretentious. As a matter of fact, right now, you're looking like a hipster for believing yourself to be a rugged, free-thinking individual that isn't a slave to the meme and is above the general consensus online.
>>
Arch is the best!
>>
>>59702647
best /g/ meme, confirmed
>>
>>59702634
Pretty sure the general consensus online would be to start with Ubuntu.
>>
>>59700835
Just go with Xubuntu / Lubuntu / Ubuntu MATE.
>>
>>59702685
The general consensus of the entire online community is a bit hard to detect, though. You're drowning in old guides meant for normies that just want to watch Netflix.

/g/ mostly gets its consensus from virtue signals, but in the case of Ubuntu, I really would say its for babbys who watch 2 Richard Stallman lectures, get hyped for the freedumbs, and then go for Ubuntu because they think Unity looks hip (but at this point, they don't even know the difference between a DE and a distro.)

Then, across the aisle, you have people that make fun of Arch users for being arrogant nerds, when they just complained about other distros being too simple to use. And then in the same breath recommend Gentoo.
>>
>>59700823
What are the limitations of running Photoshop on Linux with Play on Linux versus running it on Windows?
>>
>>59700835
It's not that hard to decide.

Ask these 2 questions.
What is your goal of what you want to do with your computer?
How stable do I want it to be vs how up-to-date but maintenance-intensive?

If you can answer these two questions, the right distro for your needs should become apparent.
>>
>alsa
>2017
>still no way to change output on the fly
linux sucks
>>
>>59702786
If Linux sucks, improve it, develop your own offshoot. That's the whole fucking idea behind it. If you have complaints, crack your knuckles and fix the problem, then share the solution.

If you do not wish to participate in that enterprise, then stop bothering us with your wanking.
>>
>>59702786
blame Linus Tovalds
>>
File: 1488742323540.png (36KB, 256x232px) Image search: [Google]
1488742323540.png
36KB, 256x232px
>>59702786
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59702786
>change output on the fly
What's that even supposed to mean?
>>
>>59702802
But complaining and bothering IS participating.
>>
>>59702786
Install pulse your fucking retard.
>>
>>59702816
No, it isn't.
>>
>>59702816
People are complaining about missing filepicker thumbnails since 12 years. Does GTK have thumbnails today?
>>
>>59702814
Apparently I can only restart the whole sound architecture after editing asound config files and there is not command like this pseudocommand: alsa set-output 2
>>59702824
pulseaudio can't do that
>>
>>59702834
If not a single person has decided to fix that in 12 years, that should say something.
>>
>>59702816
Be the change you want to see in the world. :)
>>
>>59702842
You can mute and unmute sound on the fly just fine.

Editing config files that get read at startup obviously don't do shit on the fly.
>>
File: thestrongestdistro.jpg (104KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
thestrongestdistro.jpg
104KB, 599x600px
>>59702647
>>
>>59702834
Isn't it fixed by now?
>>
>>59702880
Ofcourse muting/unmuting works but it's completely unrelated to the problem. I've seen this reply on numerous forum threads where people want the answer I'm looking for but there's always a moron like you popping in.
>>
>>59702880
I can mute the sound by turning down the volume knob on my speakers.

It's truly a work of programming genius.
>>
>>59702928
Nice hack.
>>
how long does it take for a noob to fully understand audio on gnu/linux?
>>
>>59702917
Well, it does count as "changing the sound output on the fly"
What exactly do you want to do? Changing the sound from speakers to headphones or something?
>>
>>59702965
try it and benchmark it for us anon.
>>
>>59702965
Until the thread is archived.
>>
>>59702970
Yes, I want to reroute the currently blasting sound from speakers to headphones.
>>
>>59702965
It's not difficult.

hardware <> kernel <> alsa <> pulse <> player <> file

inbetween you modify it how you want it with the right tool for the right job
>>
>>59700930
>>59701016
Great.

>>59701078
>>Why do you people think that's an environment issue and not a hardware issue?
Because it is. If there's an issue with a piece of hardware and XFCE4's compositor and no such issue with the same piece of hardware and any other compositor then it's clearly a problem with XFCE4's compositor. I know there's a lot of hardware that works just fine with it. There's also hardware that doesn't.

>>59701247
Exactly.
>>
>>59703002
Configure output to both
Mute one, unmute the other
Why isn't that an acceptable solution?
>>
My conky is updating every 1s, and afterwards it party despawns, then partly respawns indefinitely. What do?
>>
>>59703027
change the window mode
>>
>>59703027
conky is a stepping stone, rice a nice and informative bar instead
>>
>>59703002
Wait, what? Is this not possible to do so on GNU+Linux?
>>
>>59703002
install pavucontrol, a babby frontend for pulse with some nice drop-down menus to select the output device
>>
How is there no distro that is agreed upon by the community as being the undeniable best for the typical desktop power user?
>>
>>59703081
Debian
>>
File: ss-02042017-16:48:31.png (581KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ss-02042017-16:48:31.png
581KB, 1280x1024px
>>59703062
it's not babby, it's just useless
It doesn't even see the other card
>>
>>59703081
>typical desktop power user?
Because there is no such thing.
>>
File: icon.png (37KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
icon.png
37KB, 395x395px
>>59703081
it's subjective. one person wants to compile everything with portage, others want pre-built packages
>>
>>59703081
different people have different needs, so there are different distros providing different features, welcome to freedom
>>
>>59702449
><2% Desktop market share
I personally don't see this as a bad thing. I actually don't care as long as it works for me.

>>59702484
>>59702527
>So Debian is more stable?
I personally prefer Fedora. I call this stable because it is; it doesn't have git snapshots or packages, just newer versions.

Debian is "more stable" in the sense that it uses years old packages that are "well tested". This does have it's advantages but it's also a big disadvantage, newer features don't come to Debian for years after they are added. Perhaps it makes sense to use Debian if you're using 10 year old computers since you get software from the same era ..

>>59702531
>If normies weren't too dumb for Linux it would be at least 10%.
I wouldn't say that they are too dumb to use it, just too uninterested to learn and maintain it. My old mother is 68 years old and she really likes Fedora. Her computer use is limited to checking the news with a web browser, paying her bills with a web browser and other very basic tasks. She knows how to use her computer to do what she wants to do and she's happy with it. If you ask her which linux distribution she uses then she will probably say something like "I don't know, my son installed it"
>>
>>59703038
thing is, I just copied this section:
background no
use_xft yes
xftalpha 0.1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_class conky
own_window_type override
own_window_colour #111111
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
out_to_x yes

from a working config, now I can just see a small black frame with nothing inside that disappears a moment after invoking conky
>>
>>59703130
try own_window_class desktop or panel
>>
>>59703127
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59703139
same behaviour
>>
File: pavucontrol.png (81KB, 1290x776px) Image search: [Google]
pavucontrol.png
81KB, 1290x776px
>>59702814
>What's that even supposed to mean?
I think he means opening pavucontrol and change which sound card a given application outputs to under the Playback tab.

I'm not sure why he would want to do that with alsa, though. That's something that gives you a hardware interface, it's not a sound server and it wasn't meant to be one.

>>59702842
>pulseaudio can't do that
pic related shows that it can do that.

Perhaps more interestingly it shows that I have a NAS/firewall/server connected to my stereo with a SPDIF (AC3 encoded) that I use to play all the audio from my laptops when I'm at home.

Changing between a remote audio output and local outputs on the fly is built into pulseaudio and it has been since forever.
>>
>>59700749
>>59702606
I love you /fglt/.
>>
File: ss-02042017-17:01:23.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ss-02042017-17:01:23.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>59703204
But I can't choose another card except "Built-in Audio"! In contrast to that, alsamixer sees both devices!
>>
File: 1471421454411.png (164KB, 800x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1471421454411.png
164KB, 800x1044px
Has this one been used for OP's?
>>
>>59703242
>But I can't choose another card except "Built-in Audio"! In contrast to that, alsamixer sees both devices!
I assure you that I really can choose another card. Apparently you can't.

I believe your problem is how pulseaudio is configured on your system. Perhaps the default configuration file for your distribution doesn't make it autodetect all our sound cards. If this is the case then you could change pulseaudio's' configuration so that it does know the cards that you want it to know about.

Look at your /etc/pulse/default.pa
it will autodetect if you have a line with

load-module module-udev-detect

I don't want it to autodetect on one system so instead I have these lines

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3 sink_name=HDMI sink_properties=device.description=HDMI
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:2,0 sink_name=CMI8768 sink_properties=device.description=CMI8768-DVD/LD
load-module module-combine sink_name=combined slaves=HDMI,CMI8768

you could use load-module module-alsa-sink lines to force pulseaudio to accept that you have more than one sound card. If alsa knows about it then pulse can too.
>>
>>59703242
Wallpaper pls
>>
File: 1490582698854.jpg (810KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490582698854.jpg
810KB, 1920x1080px
>>59703315
Thanks for trying but it wasn't that. There was an if loop where the command was, pulling it out of the if loop (I commented everything outside the ...udev... line) didn't make a difference after rebooting, pavucontrol still doesn't have dropdowns for different applications in PLAYBACK tab or anything except "Built-in Audio" in CONFIGURATION tab.
>>59703371
>>
File: 1465762313180.jpg (9KB, 211x231px) Image search: [Google]
1465762313180.jpg
9KB, 211x231px
>>59703289
saved
>>
anyone recommend some nice themes? On ubuntu 16.04
>>
File: 1487264194876.png (45KB, 816x3242px) Image search: [Google]
1487264194876.png
45KB, 816x3242px
>>59703544
>>
File: GNUTotalSplit.png (34KB, 380x320px) Image search: [Google]
GNUTotalSplit.png
34KB, 380x320px
>>59703544
>>
>>59703103
I'd read the appropriate section of the Arch Wiki if you want to get these issues resolved. Audio can be a nightmare sometimes for no apparent reason.
>>
I've added the Wireshark PPA and when I do an apt-get install it says it is installing 2.2.25, however when I launch Wireshark itself it says it is only 2.0.2 in the About page...what gives?
>>
Can someone recommend me a good PDF reader? It feels like I've tried everything and they all suck.

>Evince
Gtk cancer, constantly misbehaves
>Atril
pretty much the same
>mupdf
no keybindings, text selection is shit
>Okular
cancerous design, complete shit
>qpdfview
misbehaves, can't remember exactly what
>Xpdf
horrible keybindings and terrible design, text selection is shit as well
>zathura
poor mouse support and text selection is shit too

The only one left is acroread but I rather avoid proprietary shite.
>>
>>59703759
fuck off
>>
>>59703971
No, you need to make it yourself.
>>
>>59703971
foxit
>>
how to draw a staight line with gimp?
>>
>>59703081
The fact that there's so much to argue over is actually a privilege of Linux.

You don't see Windows communities with this level of fundamental choices about their system.
>>
>>59703971
I use llpp.
>>
>>59704140
Step 1: Uninstall Gimp
Step 2: ?
>>
>>59704177
fuck off
>>
>>59704140
Use any tool for painting and press SHIFT.
>>
File: 1486369408093.jpg (8KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
1486369408093.jpg
8KB, 400x343px
>>59704221
friendly thread anon
>>
>>59704273
thanks
>>59704278
see >>59704221
>>
>>59700835
im not an advanced linux user, but i installed arch using arch-anywhere and am loving it. the AUR is so far beyond any other OS collection of packages. if i could get Fedora 25 with the AUR i would die
>>
>>59704304
Fuck off!
>>
>>59704320
>if i could get Fedora 25 with the AUR
What stops you from it?
>>
>>59704140

Basically, what >>59704273 said.

Just press shift, and it'll create an overlay for starting and ending a line.
>>
>>59704320
>using AUR unironically
it's just a meme bro
>>
>>59704354
Currently, there isn't a "proper" method for Fedora to support the AUR.

There has been some work by the OpenSuSE guys on getting it working:

https://plus.google.com/+AntoineSaroufim/posts/8hHGzewvpBE

> I am greatly pleased with my AUR hack for openSUSE. It's the best thing ever. OpenSUSE's biggest issue was not having specific packages and having to rely on a multitude of user repos. AUR fills that need so damn nicely and it doesn't seem to be breaking things if you keep on relying on Zypper for the base devel packages. This is awesome!

Additionally:
> For those who are curious, here's what I did:

> - Installed Arch-pacman and libalpm
> - Installed pkgbuilder from its own custom repo via pacman
> - installed AUR packages via pkgbuilder using Sdd (otherwise, it would have pacman rewrite all the base openSUSE packages and bork everything)
> - Let pkgbuilder build the apps and then fail due to dependency problems
> - Grab the package from /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ and install it via pacman -Udd. Done.

>I'm fairly certain I can automate more parts of the process. If pkgbuilder can be modified enough, it can fetch, build, and install the packages using pacman -Udd instead of pacman -U. This would make things even simpler. I'm not sure I'm that good in python though. I shall try regardless.

> I wonder if there's a tool that can convert packages from pkg to rpm, then we can rely on Zypper even.

Hopefully this post isn't a mess of greentext - I apologise if it is. Visit the link otherwise.
>>
File: 1467760349064.png (3KB, 520x437px) Image search: [Google]
1467760349064.png
3KB, 520x437px
>>59703759
>>
>>59704575
The AUR is mostly a bunch of bash scripts that automatically configure and compile packages for you. You can run those commands like in any distro, just getting nice packages you can manage with your package manager from it might be an extra hassle.
>>
>>59704581
gnu plus software*
>>
>>59704581
What's that? GNU/Japan ?
>>
What's the Arch equivalent to Debian checkinstall (creates a .deb package of a program after running make)?
>>
>>59704808
>muh wiki so good
>>
how do you pronounce AUR?
>>
>>59704860
same as word 'or'
>>
>>59704808
Arch doesn't work that way, kiddo.
>>
>>59704860
Exactly like I pronounce gold.

[spoiler]I'm French.[/spoiler]
>>
>>59704869
its our
>>
>>59704623
To be honest, it would be interesting to see if other distros like OpenSuse create tooling to take packages from the AUR and build them for OpenSuse.

But yeah - the only real "competitors" to this notion are FlatPak apps, Snaps (though I've only seen them work with some nasty-ass shims on Arch) or by using Nix, or by using LinuxBrew.
>>
isn't the AUR just another excuse from the lazy ass devs to have less work to do? and i hear there's no audit process for AUR also, what's to stop any neet uploading malware?
>>
Is there a Qt5-based (not KDE) terminal that supports tabs?
>>
What benefits does Manjaro have over openSUSE Leap?

>just use arch
No.
>>
>>59704995
What stops neets from putting their malware in their own PPAs?
>>
>>59705036
if you make frequent use of the AUR, manjaro has it, openSUSE doesn't.
not really any reason to use manjaro over openSUSE, other than AUR.
>>
>>59705060
I was expecting more of a distinction (good or bad) but alright, thanks.

I was asking about those two in particular because I'm set on KDE as my DE of choice and already use Leap, but am curious about other distros which specialize in KDE. Just seeing whether it'd be worth it to switch.
>>
>>59705201
>distros which specialize in KDE
???
>>
>>59705029
Konsole
>>
>>59705042
that doesn't answer the original question, retard
>>
>>59702476
Fedora is comfy
>>
>>59705224
Is Manjaro not one of those?

I've seen it mentioned quite a bit alongside openSUSE and KDE Neon as distros to check out if you prefer KDE, in the same way Fedora is always mentioned with GNOME.
>>
>>59705224
I think he means like how Fedora->Gnome, Mint->Cinnamon, Ubuntu->Unity, etc.
>>
>>59705361
>>59705368
Not him, but he probably means that distros "specialized" in a DE are for the most part a meme as there is no real difference between running, say, KDE on Manjaro or on Debian.
>>
>>59705339
AUR is source-based, you can check everything before you run it.

The original question implies that the AUR is unsafe since everyone can upload shit, but you still have to make people wanting to install it.
Sure, you can manage to do that, but guess what - you can do that on any distro.

Actually hiding Malware is probably way easier with precompiled packages.
>>
guys can you help? i installed linux on hardware for the first time yesterday and i only assigned 100mbs to my boot partition, now its already full what do? is there a way to resize it without having to do a complete reinstall?
>>
>>59703971
The pdf viewer w/Firefox or Chromium is what I usually use or Caliber. I use i3 and sometimes Zathura is good enough just opening in a split pane on my screen and also sometimes pdf2text is good enough unless there's math latex
>>
>>59705299
Thanks. Even though I was looking for a terminal without KDE deps, I just installed it to give it a try and found it has all the options I want and more. I guess KDE is really the way to go.
>>
>>59705442
Next time use single partition. Even swap doesn't need a dedicated partition.

Maybe you can try resize partition with gparted.
>>
>>59705442
Common problem, just erase old kernels.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14003253

Next time let the installer choose the defaults.
>>
>>59705442
>yesterday
What would you actually lose at this point that redoing it from scratch isn't the better option?
>>
>>59705474
This, just make one big partition or you can add a second HD and mount it as /home otherwise no point unless you are running a server from the 1990s and worried about logs eating up the root partition space.
>>
>>59705474
>>59705502
People don't even encrypt their root partitions anymore?
>>
>>59705529
>encrypt their root partitions
Absolutely useless. Encrypted or not the NSA has a copy.
>>
>>59705559
it might not be the NSA they're hiding it from anon.
>>
>>59705485
the expertise of fixing
>>
>>59705559
It's a tool to protect your data from being leaked due to theft of the device, not the NSA.
>>
How could I get a distro running on an old samsung galaxy tab 10.1 i found recently? I can only find guides to run it in a virtual machine, but since android is linux derivative, wouldnt the hardware mostly natively work for other distros?
>>
>>59705608
>since android is linux derivative
wat
>>
>>59705735
Android looks more like Windows than Linux.
>>
>>59705779
GNU/Linux*
Android/Linux*
Windows/NT*
>>
>>59705803
Android ain't Linux. The kernel does not make the OS.
>>
>>59705803
Linux based GNU system*
Linux based Android system*
NT based Windows system*
>>
>>59705842
>>59705829
>>59705803
>>59705779
linux
>>
>>59705863
Since Linux is Linux, wouldn't Linux work on Linux aswell?
>>
>>59705863
LiNuX
>>
>>59705881
if it works on linux, it also works on linux, that said, nothing stops you from emulating it on linux
>>
back to the original question please
>>
>>59705926
gnu/question actually anon.
jeez
>>
File: [linux torvalds].jpg (12KB, 275x350px) Image search: [Google]
[linux torvalds].jpg
12KB, 275x350px
>>59705906
>>59705892
>>59705881
>>59705863
>>
File: bps.png (8KB, 874x86px) Image search: [Google]
bps.png
8KB, 874x86px
How fucked am I?
>>
Hi /fglt/. Does anybody have an idea why my USB mic won't record any sound even though it's recognized in arecord -l and lsusb? It's not muted in pavucontrol nor on the device itself. I can select it in programs like Audacity and Discord, but it just won't record any sound.
>>
>>59706380
im having a similar problem with an external sound card, this didnt help me but maybe it will help you

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture/Troubleshooting#Setting_the_default_microphone.2Fcapture_device
>>
File: 1490984545055.jpg (396KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1490984545055.jpg
396KB, 1280x1707px
What's the difference between wine and wine staging? Why not roll it into one project instead of keeping it separate?
>>
So, I've been using KDE in Debian Stretch for a long while, and am thinking of switching to a tiling WM.
My main concern is that I use VimFX in Firefox and evil-mode in Emacs, and I'd like to avoid keybinding conflicts, preferably without having to configure it myself.
With that in mind, I've been looking at i3, bspwm, Awesome, xmonad and ratpoison. As far as I can tell, i3wm is a pretty standard choice, and works well enough with vim-bindings, and has sane defaults out-of-the-box?

I'm not really keen on ricing my desktop too much, so that's not really a factor.
>>
>>59706835
wine staging = wine beta
>>
>>59706936
i3 and bspwm are alright
just use super as the main modifier key and you won't have any conflicts
>>
>>59700823
is there a point into learning how to write shell scripts when perl exists?
>>
>>59707145
even if you personally don't like to write them, other people do write them and you might wanna be able to understand and edit them if necessary
>>
how do I becum the beast?
>>
>>59707240
gnu plus beast*
>>
>>59707240
install systemd?
>>
>>59707262
sorry
>>
>>59707268
is systemd beastly?
>>
File: crap.png (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
crap.png
2MB, 1280x1024px
>tiling wms su-
>>
>>59707296
I'm not sure. It depends on whether or not you mean it in a good or bad way.
>>
>>59707299
>su-
what? I didn't catch that
>>
Does Linux mint have the botnet?

Thanks
>>
>>59707326
no
>>
>>59707323
He's spawning a new shell after changing the user.
>>
>>59707326
Depends on the modules you load into it.
>>
>>59707393
What modules have the botnet?
>>
>>59707416
Modules which contain proprietary ucode.
>>
On gentoo, trying to install the plasma-meta package, portage tells me:

>The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
>cpu_flags_x86_sse? (cpu_flags_x86_mmxext)

in my portage/make.conf, I have specified:
>CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2"

Not sure why I'm still getting this error. Anyone know what the problem is?
>>
>>59707115
Might I ask what the key differences would be in terms of pros/cons?

It's a bit hard finding comparisons between something as niche as tiling WMs, so I don't actually know what bspwm has to offer over i3
>>
>>59707541
dynamic gaps

to get an idea check youtube for some demo videos of different wms

theres also a comparsion of wms on the archwiki
>>
>>59707541
>It's a bit hard finding comparisons between something as niche as tiling WMs
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bspwm+vs+i3
>>
>>59707588
>google
nice botnet faggot
>>
File: 1491079683491.jpg (91KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
1491079683491.jpg
91KB, 500x436px
Alright so, "sudo apt-get update" is, as I understand it, checking the repositories to see if there's updated versions of software. But is there a way to only run "sudo apt-get update" for a particular program or repository instead of all of them?
>>
>>59707588
If you can't contribute anything, don't post.
>>
>>59707541
just go with i3 as a start
check out bspwm in a week when you get used to i3
choose the one you like more and stick with it
>>
>>59707605
okay
>>
>>59707594
https://askubuntu.com/questions/65245/apt-get-update-only-for-a-specific-repository
>>
Is T.A.I.L.S a meme?
>>
>>59707638
>binary based
>security oriented
Think for yourself.
>>
>>59707638
what do you mean?
>>
>>59707594
Why would you want to? Honest question.
>>
why do people almost everywhere use apt-get instead of apt?
>>
Is Intel ucode proprietary/botnet? Is it worth installing?
>>
>>59707648
Binary source code is provided
>>
Hey, I'm shopping for a laptop, and I'm thinking about a clevo barebone. I'm gonna put fedora on it, and would like to be able to connect it to both my desktop displays. Since it has no dedicated dock, I'd have to get a universal usb3/c one. How is support for those on linux? I searched but found that support for displaylink chips is not that great
>>
>>59707672
documentation tells people to.
i read somewhere that apt is more as a lower-level program, whereas apt-get is the frontend
>>
>>59707672
The move to apt from apt-get wasn't really advertised.

>>59707698
It's the opposite iirc.
>>
>>59707698
it's the other way around
>>
What hotkeys for programs do you have in your WM/DE?

I currently only have ones for Termite, htop, and Firefox.
>>
Arch has the worst fucking installation documentation I've ever read.
>>
>>59707819
>he needs instructions on how to install his operarating system
something is wrong anon
>>
>>59707698
>>59707707
>>59707713
wait, so using apt is better?
>>
Debian 9 stable when?
>inb4 when it's ready
>>
What's the status of killer wireless drivers on Linux? Can they be used out of the box with a deblobbed kernel now, with open source drivers? Is Intel still better if I can swap the card?
>>
>>59707958
apt is what you're supposed to use. It's also a bit more convenient, you can do
apt search
and
apt install
instead of having to remember that apt-cache exists.
>>
Is trisquel a meme?
>>
>>59707994

intel doesn't work deblobbed though?
>>
>>59707986
When it's ready
>>
>>59708034
Wait what? Isn't the iwlwifi module open source, and functional on Debian immediately after installing?
>>
>>59708216
Wait what the fuck?
>I've been running nonfree firmware in my kernel since I've had Linux installed
jewed again by the eternal botnet
>>
Are you part of the botnet? Find it out:
find "/lib/modules/$(uname -r)" -name '*.ko' -exec modinfo {} ';' | awk '/firmware:.*ucode$/ { print $2 }' | sort -V
>>
should i go full autism and install xmonad?
>>
>>59708284
I also thought that Intel drivers were open source because they just werk. is it actually botnet to have proprietary wifi drivers? What wireless card should I get for a thinkpad that works well deblobbed?
>>
>>59708469
I liked it, but I switched it out for dwm because I couldn't figure out how to make xmobar work. I'm a bit better at haskell now, so I might give it another shot soon.
>>
>>59708490
you need to flash a new bios to use a new wificard with your thinkpad anon
>>
>>59708490
>is it actually botnet to have proprietary wifi drivers
it's somehow like schrödingers cat; you don't know what the software does, so it's both, botnet and no-botnet
>>
File: diaperfur arch logo.png (105KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
diaperfur arch logo.png
105KB, 1200x1200px
>>59700823
>>
>>59708490
just get a wifi adapter, comfy solution
>>
File: 1471332921747.jpg (130KB, 981x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1471332921747.jpg
130KB, 981x1053px
>>59708537
>>
>>59700848
I had this problem, IIRC I used this:
Exec="SOMEVAR=value application"
>>
>>59707994
Almost all wifi drivers need proprietary firmware blobs to work
>>
>>59700910
KDE has... issues with GPU drivers that other DEs and Windows seem not to. Try changing the desktop effects settings to not use so much horsepower under system settings.
>>
>>59701935
There are a bunch of Japanese IMEs. One of them should work.
>>
>>59700823
How do I use ssh key? When I generate one I got no id_rsa to save it in. and my pub and the other file of the same name goes to ~/ instead of ~/.ssh.
>>
File: Macromedia_Flash_8_icon.png (172KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Macromedia_Flash_8_icon.png
172KB, 800x800px
What is the libre GNU/Linux equivilent of macromedia flash/adobe CS/flash professional?
>>
>>59702476
Fedora. Debian is too old.
>>
>>59708826
does it even make sense? even if the player is free, the content can be malicous, not?
>>
>>59708959
well meme'd
>>
>>59708826
Gnash and Lightspark.
>>
>>59708974
>>59709016
Sorry, I meant the software to make animation, not the software to play it.
>>
>>59709024
HTML5.
>>
FreeBSD is Fake GNUs.
>>
>>59709093
NetBSD and OpenBSD too
>>
>>59709024
Synfig Studio.
>>
>>59707819
Getting rid of the Beginner's Guide was a mistake. But I suppose it encourages people to go slower, learn more, and perhaps test out an install via VM instead of crying.
>>
redpill me on systemd
>>
>>59709529
https://ewontfix.com/14/
>>
I hate all of you
>>
>>59709818
thanks
>>
>>59709818
:(
>>
>>59709818
Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
>>
File: 1470272475994.jpg (70KB, 446x860px) Image search: [Google]
1470272475994.jpg
70KB, 446x860px
>>59709974
>>
fuck it, new thread: >>59710017
>>
>>59709974
how do I let go
>>
>>59708381
No output anon-chan
>>
>>59710037
seek unrustlement
>>
>>59710042
It means that you're safe, senpai.
>>
>>59710058
that's good !! im on gentoo, which is why
>>
>>59701616
DarkTable
>>
>>59701709
Yes! Make sure to start out with XFCE + Compton.
>>59701751
>what are ubuntu spins
Wouldn't you care about profit if you had a dev team that works fulltime?
>amazon search boogeymenz
disabled in less than a few clicks
>No reason to use Ubuntu over mint or debian
Except thats bullshit because mint is bloated and less documented than buntu and debian is useless without being frankendebianed into ubuntu.
>>
>>59701929
ok what you need to do is disable hybrid restart on windows, it keeps the ENTIRE drive in RO mode until it boots up. Then you'll be able to install easily
>>59702173
>>59702192
this, UEFI has never been a problem with these installations
>>
>>59710198
>>59710227
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>59702476
Ubuntu or Fedora.
Fedora is a bit heavyweight and propietary drivers are there but a bit of a hassle.
>Debian
shit, timesink OS moreso than Arch because you need to get testing for packages more recent than 2 years ago.
>Mint
Bloated *buntu
>>59710247
fuck off
>>
File: Linux.png (33KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
Linux.png
33KB, 280x330px
What is the best version to boot from sd card?

Are the instructions?
>>
Is the trisquel distro a meme?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.