[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hpg/ - Headphone General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 56

File: 1481651081060.jpg (114KB, 1100x884px) Image search: [Google]
1481651081060.jpg
114KB, 1100x884px
>Headphone purchase advice
http://pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >>>/g/csg

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>59606876
>>
Anime is schiit
>>
>>59620300
Etymotic research:

Are the budget mc5 good enough or should i dish out a bit more for hf5

Does anyone own either?
>>
File: 1470867971121.jpg (264KB, 1678x685px) Image search: [Google]
1470867971121.jpg
264KB, 1678x685px
You know what to do.
>>
>>59620356
>mc5
They sound like shit. You can find $10 chinkshit that sounds a lot better. You'll have to shell out more money if you want good Etymotic IEMs. However, I'd stay away from IEMs if you can.
>>
>>59620370
Repost the same pics over and over again ad nauseam?
>>
File: 1474056570262.png (48KB, 1800x1578px) Image search: [Google]
1474056570262.png
48KB, 1800x1578px
>>59620355
>>59620400
>>
>>59620395
You mean ER4

But iems are easy for everyday carry and smartphone listening
>>
File: 1480269853379.png (394KB, 1282x556px) Image search: [Google]
1480269853379.png
394KB, 1282x556px
KZ ATES or Senfer UES?
>>
>>59618941
>perception already has it's own coloration
What coloration are you referring to here exactly? Ear gain and response is filtered away by our brain. When you equalize you are removing coloration of the ear-headphone response and it's the only method to do that. Ear still continues to be nonlinear in multiple ways which EQ can't touch on.

>a neutral signature is only neutral up to a certain point defines by a general measurement that doesn't hold true to all humans anyway
You'll have to rephrase that. Neutrality is equal perceived sound pressure level across the hearing range.

>to think that by EQing you are not listening to the gear
No, that's not what I think. EQ can help to minimize the largest source of coloration: the headphones.

>is like thinking Photoshop can make grass real
That doesn't work.

>That doesn't take away from art though
I disagree.

>art doesn't end at the tip of the pen, but rather at the mind of the reader, some times not even then
This doesn't work either. Coloration would be comparable to watching a movie on a display which has poor color reproduction. Whatever the movie is about doesn't change here. It's mostly separate from the audiovisual presentation which has been carefully tuned and is part of the art. Your display could end up changing an originally high contrast, cold bluish color temperature to green-ish where blacks look like a single tone gray. Do you think this is not dismantling the vision?

Your reproduction gear is not art and they should alter the art as little as possible. The issue here is the "circle of confusion" where we lose a reference. If the production and home environment differ from one another, your content is going to sound different and very likely just wrong on either one. Where do you draw a line of what's acceptable? You can't work magic in the mastering. If you make your music to sound good on vast variety of gear, you are sacrificing something and limiting what can be done. That's an awful idea.
>>
File: When the sound is just right.jpg (77KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
When the sound is just right.jpg
77KB, 706x540px
Anyone have experience with the Status CB-1? I've heard that they're a bit brittle, but you don't always know whether the people that say that are

>I drop them sometimes and let them get pulled off my head when I stand up

Or

>They started to crack after moderate use at my desk after a year

If anyone has experience with them, I'd be curious to know what you think of the build quality.
>>
>>59620447
>You mean ER4
those are discontinued. try ER7 if you're on a budget. but beware that there's a huge difference between Etymotic's cheaper and more expensive IEMs. Their cheaper ones are no better than IEMs you can buy at a big box store.
>>
>>59620596
>Status CB-1
Why not go with a known quantity like one of the Audio-Technicas? Not only will you get better support but they're well test and you'll have no trouble reselling them when you get bored or want to upgrade.

I've made few stupid buys in the past by buying cheap or chink shit and you're stuck with that once you get annoyed with them.
>>
File: 51619385_p0.jpg (616KB, 1200x1660px) Image search: [Google]
51619385_p0.jpg
616KB, 1200x1660px
>>59620251
>>
>>59616955
Why the HD 650 and not the superior HD 600? See what I did there? There are multiple ways to define superior. Some like the response, comfort or value are subjective. Why are you worrying about the tonality when you could just change it?
>>
What do you guys think of the Audio Technica MSR7?
>>
>>59620647
M40X (for most of the reasons you listed) with either Shure HPAEC840 or Auray sheepskin pads are my current pick, but the CB-1 caught my eye.

Just a curiosity.
>>
File: Me.png (2MB, 1720x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Me.png
2MB, 1720x1082px
>>59620370
I had a hard time fitting everything in, but I managed to get it in the end
>>
File: 1488349975795.jpg (62KB, 878x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488349975795.jpg
62KB, 878x1024px
>>59620783
>pick, but the CB-1 caught my eye
if you have cash, go for it. you might strike gold (or silver). but if losing $100 is gonna make you hurt, go for AT.
>>
>>59620650
thank you.
>>
Is this the correct thread to ask about desktop speakers or is there a more appropriate thread on this board?
>>
>>59620884
No loudspeaker thread around. Rarely is and dies in a day or two. Ask away.
>>
File: 1475114815256.jpg (206KB, 1986x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475114815256.jpg
206KB, 1986x800px
>>59620370

>>59620803
What is your daily driver?
>>
>>59620896
I just got a $60 gift card for my birthday and haven't had the money to buy anything other than groceries and gas for the past few months.

What's a quality desktop speaker for that price?
>>
File: hpg_2.0_0.png (681KB, 1600x700px) Image search: [Google]
hpg_2.0_0.png
681KB, 1600x700px
>>59620370
Ok
>>
File: RatherGood.gif (1023KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
RatherGood.gif
1023KB, 360x240px
>>59620860
I can get the ATs for dealer price...so M40X it is.
>>
Cheap amerifag here, need budget cans that don't sound like complete garbage.

Budget - 80 bucks, give or take.

Location - US

Source - Don't know yet, buying a new rig and cell soon. Nothing fancy, prob just whatever happens to come with the rest of the shit I buy for the rig.

Type - No IEMs, full sized, preferably closed.

Sound quality>Comfort

V-shaped sound signature preffered, but im flexible on that.

Past Headphones - Been using the Koss KSC75's kramer modded and shoved into a cheap pair of cans cause those ear clips suck ass. Don't have much to complain about when it comes to sound quality, considering I always used shitty earbuds before. Still pretty new to the whole "audiophile" thing. Don't care that much desu, just want the best sound for the price.
>>
>>59620931
>What's a quality desktop speaker for that price?
There's no such thing. The cheap thing is actually headphones.
>>
>>59620583
>If you make your music to sound good on vast variety of gear, you are sacrificing something and limiting what can be done.
But that's exactly what is done, the loudness war was one of the extremes born from it, but less badly mastered songs still are made so that people can listen both on electrostatic headphones and cheap smartphone earbuds without much problem, it's also probably on the artist's interest to get as many people listening to his music as possible, unless he specificaly wants a small crowd and works for that end.
>What coloration are you referring to here exactly?
If during life an individual is exposed to different levels of different frequencies and any audition loss happens, his "neutral" already differs from yours, of course the brains adjusts itself to make whatever seem neutral, however if it does, than EQing shouldn't be necessary unless to fix that which you cannot filter naturally.
>That doesn't take away from art though
>I disagree.
Well, that's has subjective as it gets, so there's in no problem in disagreeing i guess.
>>
>>59620931
Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 if you MUST have speakers immediately, otherwise if you need sound asap, but can be headphones, look at that option. Or if you can wait, save for a decent set. It's not really an essential for most PCs.
>>
File: r70x.jpg (126KB, 756x716px) Image search: [Google]
r70x.jpg
126KB, 756x716px
ATH-R70X first impressions.

Previous headphones: AKG K712 Pro, ATH-ANC1, ATH-ANC9, QC-25, MDR-V55

Amp: FiiO E10K

Comfort: Pretty damn good, in some ways better than the K712, in some others less good. To elaborate, the pads aren't nearly as comfortable but the wing system works perfectly and doesn't put annoying pressure on the top of my head. This is very important for me because I keep my headphones on for hours at a time while I work. More comfortable than the QC-25s which themselves are very comfortable.

Response: Somewhat neutral, comparable to the K712, the highs are a little understated, but it could be the FiiO E10K at play here? The impedence of the R70X is 470 ohms while the E10K is specified for 150 ohms at most. That said, it's not very noticeable, actually it makes it much more comfortable on the ears for prolonged listening sessions. Does make me want to buy the HD600 as a second reference though. Maybe in a few months? I need a new DAC/Amp though.

Music listened to so far: Ocean born, DDR sound tracks masterpieces by Hirasawa Susumu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJY1TomgkBs

This one is the most interesting sound track, the main rythm is at first hard to hear until your ears adjust to it. This is the best way to observe the so-called "burn-in" effect, but I doubt it has much to do with the headphones, as I confirmed observing the same thing when I switched from the AKG K712 to the ATH-ANC1.

Please let me if you'd like more impressions of this not so common headphone soon.
>>
>>59621038
>>59621079
I have pretty good headphones already (DT-770), I just need something so I can play games and watch videos with my friends and have audio.
>>
>>59621107
Does youtube's lower bitrate audio make a significant difference to you in comparison to CD quality or better?
>>
>>59621175
Then the CA-3602 or use the money on something you need (you said you had no money) and save at a later date.
>>
>>59621177
Huge difference. I listened to FLAC tracks side by side to youtube of Oceanborn, it's like night and day.

I'm trying to get a FLAC version of the song I linked without much luck so far.
>>
>>59621177
>Does youtube's lower bitrate audio make a significant difference to you in comparison to CD quality or better?
bitrate isn't a problem. filtering is a huge problem.

NEVER use YT music for audio testing... unless you're 50+ years old and you've lose more of your high-freq hearing.
>>
>>59621175
Just get some logishit speakers then. You're not going to find anything good for $60 without hunting for a while
>>
File: Setup (second version).png (2MB, 1617x723px) Image search: [Google]
Setup (second version).png
2MB, 1617x723px
>>59620370
sure.
>>59620803
Which one is your favorite, Anon?
>>
>>59621222
High-freq is no problem for me. But I do feel I'm losing some of my ability to hear details. An example is having trouble understanding people talking over the phone when there's background noise. I seem to have more issues with that than others. It's not getting worse and it seems to have been something since I was a kid. So I dunno.
>>
>>59621234
I will probably do this.

>>59621194
Well yeah you're probably right but I'm going to be an irresponsible young man for the rest of my college career.
>>
>>59621263
>So I dunno
time to see audiologist. you clearly suffer from hearing loss. get it treated to stop further degradation.
>>
>>59620931
Absolutely none new. Might get lucky on a thrift store but you'd need to know what you are looking for. Speakers around that price range are nothing but a series of massive compromises constrained by manufacturing costs. The real problem is that there is no data on them so we don't actually know which one is terrible and which is less so. The designs are usually so freakish you can't even eyeball basics of performance as it all just looks like various types of unconventional and bad.

I hate to give you this advice but you'll basically have to go by a word of mouth from someone who hopefully has a little bit of expertise on them. Unless of course you can get the loudspeakers into your place to audition them on the spot but for $60 I doubt anyone bothers.

Generally the cheapest pair of loudspeakers I can recommend at the LSR305s or Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors but they are well above your budget.

>>59621078
>mastering
I simply don't see any way to compensate for tonal accuracy beyond extreme compression which just sucks.
>hearing loss
Happens to everyone and is quite unrelated to tonal accuracy.
>his "neutral" already differs from yours
It can, a bit. You can compensate for this with equalization and it doesn't make the importance of having matching systems in home and in production any less important.

>>59621177
Chiming in. There are a lot of problems with this. Format Youtube uses not necessarily any kind of a limitation. On supporting hardware/browser it uses 160 kbps Opus VBR which is an excellent format and mostly transparent at that setting. However YT applies a volume cut for all content played through it and always re-encodes the audio. Lower SPL is easily audible and added artifacts of lossy transcoding can be too. You also don't know what master is in use most of the time so chances are you are comparing two different versions from the get go.

>>59621222
Opus is cut at 20 KHz so that's not a problem.
>>
>>59621372
>However YT applies a volume cut for all content played through it and always re-encodes the audio
This is the main thing I observed, but because of the volume cut you couldn't hear a lot of the subtle instrument dynamics.

Youtube encoding/transformation is often disgusting. No substitute for getting FLAC. I just can't trust people to encode shit properly anymore. But fuck me I just can't find that track, I'm going to have to buy the CD.
>>
MDR-7506 Master Race reporting in.
>>
>>59621409
>MDR-7506
Enjoy your tinnitus!
>>
>>59621406
>but because of the volume cut you couldn't hear a lot of the subtle instrument dynamics
Higher SPL generally improves clarity by rising the sensitivity of the extreme ends of our hearing and improving SNR. Louder is almost universally better sounding until it starts to hurt.

>encoding
I believe you can't send lossless audio to Youtube but I haven't tried. That could fix the problem with lossy transcoding entirely as the format they use is seriously good.

>lossless
The main reason why I download lossless is to reduce the likelihood of getting a bad encode.
>>
>>59621445
puhleez
>>
>>59620928
>>59621261
Probably the 600, but it is the most expensive one too. I like the imaging and mids, but I wish the highs weren't rolled off. I've been thinking about getting a t90 sometime soon to have a headphone that does highs well.
>>
File: 1484430997531.jpg (42KB, 511x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484430997531.jpg
42KB, 511x720px
>>59621372
>Opus is cut at 20 KHz so that's not a problem.
YT isn't Opus you doofus. Plus their filtering is not the default. Why don't you rip a YT song and see for yourself instead of talking out of your ass?
>>
>>59621468
>The main reason why I download lossless is to reduce the likelihood of getting a bad encode.
Pretty much, I also keep them around just in case I want to re-encode or mix them in the future.

By the way, soundcloud seems to have much better encoding than Youtube.
>>
>>59621372
Not not hearing highs as well as other people is really unrelated though? If you need increased highs to hear everything somewhat evenly than you are altering tonality, your "neutral" won't be the same for others. Personally i view neutrality as a "within the bell curve" kind of thing, which makes it a bit more subjetive due to different perceptions.
>having matching systems in home and in production
But does that happen? Of course in studio we will have certain quality standards (or at least should have), but once a song hits the market there's nothing defining the quality of the listener's headphone and that shouldn't stop him from being able to enjoy music, which brings us to super-compressed music.
My only point is, if a song is mastered around the idea the it should sound good enough in most devices, how can we determine that a less colored reproduction is further from the original artistic ideal, giving that the only standard in the first place was "it must sound good for most people"?

Not trying to prove anything here though, i just like the direction this conversation is taking.
>>
File: opus you doofus.png (16KB, 979x544px) Image search: [Google]
opus you doofus.png
16KB, 979x544px
>>59621531
>YT isn't Opus you doofus
It is. It can be. It depends on your browser/app and hardware what is chosen. You can force whatever if you know how though. Pic related.
>Plus their filtering is not the default.
What filtering?
>Why don't you rip a YT song and see for yourself instead of talking out of your ass?
You shouldn't talk so much.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

If MSE and VP9 is enabled, you can enjoy 160k Opus audio.

>>59621582
>By the way, soundcloud seems to have much better encoding than Youtube.
If you are streaming through a browser or app it's 128 kbps MP3 on likely one of the new LAME encoders. Pretty nice eh? They use a different format for downloads, 320 kbps CBR MP3 I believe.
>>
>>59621626
>Pretty nice eh? They use a different format for downloads, 320 kbps CBR MP3 I believe.
How do I download from soundhurf?

Also where's a good place to download losses audio
>>
>>59621175
Leave the headphones on desk/stand. Pump the volume up.

Instant loudspeakers!
>>
>>59620527
Senfers UEs by far. A better comparison would be KZ ZST Vs Senfer UEs as both are more V-shaped. UEs would still win. ZST mids are more recessed and fit is worse. Highs felt kinda sharp but didnt give as much detail as the UEs, which weren't as sibilant. Not sure how that works but w/e.

ATE's are just uncomfortable mud city, though admittedly okay for the price. KZ ZS3 are a better comparison to ATEs. Sub-bass is more controlled, fit is miles better, and mids arent bloated. Highs are a little dark but not stupidly so. I preferred them to the ZST even though they werent V-shape, which I am usually a fan of for some genres.

Also the UEs can have some pretty fuckin radical designs. I got camo. Looks pretty cool, though the like 'resolution' isn't too great. Some people have reported the stock cable is shit though. Its just a generic MMCX cable. My cable borked after a while. Bought a nice cable and haven't been bothered since. Just get the Tennmak cable. Still comes to around the same cost as you can get a version of UEs that dont come with cable.
>>
>>59621667
>How to damage your drivers
>>
>>59620596
Yeah quality is kinda gronked at the hinges. Its just a generic chinese OEM headband [though so are M40x/M50x if i remember correctly]
>>
>>59621685
Thanks
>>
File: 1477571163222.jpg (479KB, 3380x892px) Image search: [Google]
1477571163222.jpg
479KB, 3380x892px
>>59620300
>>59620803
>>59620928
>>59620971
>>59621261
been a while.
>>
>>59621078
>the loudness war was one of the extremes born from it
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>59620754
HD650 doesn't have suffer those dreaded lower treble peaks that the HD600 has. That marble finish is also pure cancer.
>>
>>59621652
>How do I download from soundhurf?
Only if the artist allows. If you rip the audio off the site through whatever means, you get the same as everyone else listening. Something downloadable that I've been enjoying:

https://soundcloud.com/terminalnode/machinecode-evacuation-vip

>>59621606
>Not not hearing highs as well as other people is really unrelated though?
I said quite unrelated so not exactly. Hearing loss by aging is caused by gradual loss of the sensory hair follicles each of which are tuned to respond for a specific range of frequencies. By age they die away. It's the same thing that limits our hearing bandwidth right from birth. You can compensate for the lowered sensitivity but not for the lack of cells. The loss is gradual and starts from the extreme end which is quite unimportant for tonality. If you low pass your audio at 10 KHz, you'll lose the "air" but it won't distinctively alter more than that. Furthermore the upwards nature of auditory masking makes low sensitivity high frequency range less important when there is content present lower in the band.

>But does that happen?
Rarely. You need to be quite the audiophile to even aim for something like that. Even studios aren't always on point:

http://www.genelec.fi/documents/publications/SurveyofMonitoringConditions.pdf
Page 5, fig. 7.

This is a problem in the industry and not something that can be forced on the consumer through any other means than by designing and offering better products which meet a certain standard and that this standard is used from production to reproduction.

>further from original
Further or closer, even when limiting this to the mastering stage, we can't. You can only assume that what was intended was heard during the production, that the mastering engineers had a good calibrated system and they knew what they are doing. They likely check it on multiple devices to make sure it sounds acceptable across the board. The best we can do is aim for a same standard.
>>
File: 1462481968225.png (296KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1462481968225.png
296KB, 640x640px
>>59622182
>troll who never even listened with them
idiot's are always a dime a dozen in these threads but you take the crown.
>>
>>59622248
>posting boat slut

Opinion instantly discarded.
>>
Is there anything better in the price range? I wonder how long the HD800 are going to remain in this price...

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-800-Reference-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/
>>
>>59622287
Buy used, anon.
>>
>>59622298
Can I get a used Audez'e LCD-3 at that price range?
>>
File: 1461881697997.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461881697997.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>59622265
post a tiimestamped picture of your current audio setup. if you can't, you should stop giving people advice.
>>
>>59622209
It would be interesting to see that level of control on an album, if they produced the music under esact conditions and actually gave instructions to how it should be reproduced in order to be faithful to the original vision.
>>
File: hpg-chart.jpg (2MB, 4250x1295px) Image search: [Google]
hpg-chart.jpg
2MB, 4250x1295px
>>59620370
>>
>>59622348
Why are you triggered so much?
>>
>>59622287
>Is there anything better in the price range?

I don't think so. Maybe one of the ZMF headphones but they offer a different kind of sound and lacks the finesse that the HD800 have.
>>
>>59622400
come on, let's see it. quit stalling.
>>
File: hpg2.png (880KB, 1780x600px) Image search: [Google]
hpg2.png
880KB, 1780x600px
>>59620370
Good afternoon, /hpg/!

>>59622155
Pretty sure he means as he says. A lot of songs/albums got louder and louder (the loudness war), so there's less need to adjust the volume on the audio system in at your house, car, or wherever. This makes the song/album 'work well' with a variety of gear, since less messing around with the volume is needed. But with increased loudness you lose out in sound quality; things such as dynamic range is heavily compressed and clipping (or more clipping) is introduced.
>>
>>59622602
Newb question: I understand the increased volume baked into the audio at production can reduce sound quality, but can an amplifier also reduce quality based on how much it requires increasing the volume?
>>
>>59622690
And apparently I'm a bloody robot now. I'm getting actual captchas -.-
>>
>>59622690
Good amps extract more details at lower volume level.
>>
File: massdrop.png (29KB, 659x176px) Image search: [Google]
massdrop.png
29KB, 659x176px
Why is massdrop so shit at shipping. "Anticipated ship date" was yesterday ffs.
>>
File: IMG_1450.jpg (158KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1450.jpg
158KB, 1200x800px
Name a flaw.
>>
>>59622832
Usually it's because they have to have a order to send to the supplier, have the supplier ship the order to them, then they ship your order out to you. Horribly convoluted
>>
>>59622778
Utter nonsense.
>>
>>59622886
Too expensive
>>
>>59622906
This is for the K7XX which they already have in stock I thought?
>>
>>59622886
Barely stays on your head, very light, pads are almost non existent, honestly even though it sounds great it feels kinda cheap for the price.
>>
>>59622886
I'm 99% sure if it costs like say $500 /hpg/ will proclaim the HD800S as the second coming of Christ.
>>
>>59622964
Yeah but it doesn't, so what's your point?
>>
>>59622382
>>59622602
>spending hundreds on audio products
>having shit taste in music
choose one
>>
>>59621445
>Anon can't handle anything remotely bright
Kek.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sywUxZEqKlc
>>
>>59623179
That /hpg/'s opinion on higher tier gear is clouded with bias?
>>
File: whfa.jpg (133KB, 1194x490px) Image search: [Google]
whfa.jpg
133KB, 1194x490px
>>59620370
>>
Hey /hpg/, do you ever use software EQ? Why or why not?
>>
>>59623351
If your headphone needs to be EQ-ed to sound good then something is wrong with your setup.
>>
>>59623455
idk I EQ the highs on my DT770 a bit because they get pretty painful
>>
>>59623351
I don't, but that's because i'm ok with how my headphones sound, if you don't i don't see why you shouldn't try to make it more pleasant.
>>
>>59622690
>can an amplifier also reduce quality based on how much it requires increasing the volume?

It can, particularly if the amp isn't designed well and/or pairing with the headphones isn't optimal (if your headphones require you to have your amp set to max gain and volume to get a decent listening level).

Other than that, the amp should do it's job of just amplifying the input signal, without any added coloration or distortion (this goes for solid state amps... tube amps and such are a different story). Things like dynamic range should not suffer with increased volume. Though, with very/high dynamic songs, I'd be cautious of increasing the volume too much, as there can be rather loud peaks that happen throughout the song.
>>
>>59623351
Software EQ do always work on buffers, taking from a source and handing after processing to another. Length of the buffers * number of buffers, plus possibly copies.

Not that there's anything to fix with HD600.
>>
>>59623276
>>>59622602(You)
>>spending hundreds on audio products
>>having shit taste in music
>choose one
Although one's taste in music is subjective, it's rather obvious I chose the first one. I do listen to a broad range of other genres as well, from classic rock to jpop.
>>
>>59623808
I literally listen to an hour of music a week but I have around 2 grand in audio gear, its just a fun hobby homie
>>
>>59623808
jesus how
i listen to like eight hours a day
half of that is on my commute but god damn how do you spend that much and listen that little?
>>
>>59623848
At the moment I'm bingeing a few TV shows, hard to watch TV and listen to music ya know?
>>
>>59623875
Understandable, but surely watching television isn't the only thing you do? Do you not listen to anything while browsing websites and shit?
>>
>>59623918
Usually watch and read reddit and shit, that multimonitor life.
>>
>>59623311
chihaya <3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170314-151854.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170314-151854.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>59623311
Umi. hd600.
>>
>>59623345
how gud is soundstage on m40x
>>
>>59624384
Not him, but its pretty small soundstaged. Thick pads add to it but they also fuck up the tonality and typically add a bunch of resonance.
>>
>>59623455
>If your headphone needs to be EQ-ed to sound good then something is wrong with your setup.
Yeah, wrong headphones.
>>
Am I the only who one who dislike the HD600 here? They are not neutral like so many people claim, they sound rather bright!
>>
File: 1472031577944.jpg (265KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1472031577944.jpg
265KB, 1280x1920px
>Budget
Up to $400 USD

>Location
US

>Source
Amp/Dac

>Type of headphone
Circumaural

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Maximum!

>Sound signature
Neutral. Something that doesn't need much EQ

I've used mostly IEMs in the past. Sure SE215 is what I use now. I'd like something that I could enjoy at home.
>>
>>59620596
I have them, they seem sturdy enough and comfort stock is good.
I feel like they'll hold up well as long as you're not rough on them.
>>
How similar is the ath msr7 sound to the beyerdynamic house sound? Beyer doesn't make a portable enough headphone for me. The msr7 looks perfect.
>>
File: 1490639981552.jpg (371KB, 3800x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1490639981552.jpg
371KB, 3800x1400px
>>59620370
>>
>>59620300

>Budget
around £ 100

>Location
UK

>Source
PC

>Type of headphone
full sized

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
They will probably be on my head all day, therefore I'd like them to be comfy

>Sound signature

>Past headphones
I've never had any specific headphones that costed more than £10, I would like to finally invest in some decent ones
>>
Are mdr 1a outclassed by literally anything in its category under $300?
>>
>>59620370
>>59620803
>>59620928
>>59620971
>>59621261
>>59622382
>>59622602
>>59623345
>>59625402
I like that there are so many people posting these now.
>>
File: hpg.png (545KB, 1500x563px) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
545KB, 1500x563px
>>59623351
Always when possible because I want the best sound.
>>
>>59625402
good taste anon... <3 slint.
>>
>>59622602
Sounds like one of those audiophile almos-true statements.
Dynamic range is the difference from the quietest to the loudest signals. This isn't what we're talking about, is it?
>>
>>59625778
>demetori and eurobeat
my nigger.
also decent taste in waifu
>>
File: Maximum Weeaboo.png (1MB, 1740x839px) Image search: [Google]
Maximum Weeaboo.png
1MB, 1740x839px
>>59625632
Feels like old times? :3
>>
>>59626087
sure does.
>>
>>59626054
Album list is just something I've been enjoying recently. Songs, albums and artists come and go. But yeah Demetori and super eurobeat can be pretty masterful.

>>59626032
>Dynamic range is the difference from the quietest to the loudest signals.
Yes and not quite. It's actually pretty hard to define now that I think of it when talking about dynamic range in songs.
>>
why 2 threads
>>59626428
>>
File: hp.png (3MB, 3800x1400px) Image search: [Google]
hp.png
3MB, 3800x1400px
>>59625632
Here's another
>>
>>59626535
One for anime NEETS and one for kool kids.
>>
>>59626032
Dynamic range is part of the equation, by compressing the audio you get to make everything a little louder and easier to spot, the original idea of compression was this, it would be used in drums to make them sound a bit tighter and brighter, on guitars to make sound quieter notes shine a bit more etc. Long story short, eventually studios started doing it a lot more than they should on tracks, not to make everything appear, but to make the whole thing very loud so when you listen to the radio their songs show up more for being louder, more studios started doing this in order to compete, louder and louder songs, all kinds of excessive compressing problems showing up in the musics. That's what we call the loudness war.

On a side note/good news: lot's os engineers and artists are backing away from the loudness war in favor of better quality mastering. Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy is an example, Axl and the producers had three versions of the final master and went with the less compressed one for release, the responsible engineer was really glad.
>>
File: 20170328_153505.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_153505.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
What's under the mold, anons?
>>
>>59626880
Something Audio-Technica?
>>
>>59626894
Nope, I'll give 3 more guesses then I'll reveal :)
>>
>>59626880
Those are some big cups! Sony XB?
>>
>>59627110
Sadly the mold isn't to the headphones I just got. The mold is from my SR950's and currently hiding the ones actually underneath. The SR950's were nice til I craved open backs again.
>>
>>59626880
some poop
>>
>>59627154
Oh, i see. Ok, i'm going to go with K702 and leave the next try for another Anon... >>59627171, ok, the Anon after that one lol.
>>
>>59627171
That's a relatively stiff poop then
>>
>>59626880
598se, the black taint is poop
>>
File: 20170328_155943.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_155943.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>59626894
>>59627110
>>59627171
>>59627211
PortaPoos
>>
>>59627252
Of course! Solid choice, Anon!
>>
File: 20170328_160757.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_160757.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>59627252
Family Photo
>>59627382
Thanks, I needed something and compact for when I'm going to/from school and FRG kinda matched my EQ'd 668B's so it was an obvious choice
>>
>>59627414
Portable and compact*
>>
File: 1471219743161.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471219743161.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>59627252
What year is it? 1988?
just kiddin
>>
File: mdrv6.jpg (145KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
mdrv6.jpg
145KB, 700x466px
>>59627607
Not a bad decade to be alive if you ask me.
>>
>>59627607
That's basically the consensus of what my friends say about them. Sure, they look a bit whack but they sound good so I can't really complain. Most of them won't even try them BECAUSE they're ugly.
>>
>>59627650
I am wearing one of those right now
>>
I have a pressure point above my right ear that makes it fucking impossible to wear headphones without it hurting after long periods of time.

What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>59627756
IEM's
>>
File: 1479532729579.jpg (685KB, 1415x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479532729579.jpg
685KB, 1415x1600px
>>59627756
Cut it off. Make sacrifices for you passions.

>>59627786
Those are much worse...

*) pressure points inside of ears
*) increased wax production since your body considers it a foreign object
*) possibility of ripping your ear drum if you snag on the cable
*) increased chance of hearig damage due to power and closeness of the driver
*) much higher rate of ear infections due to increased bacteria production increased and a chance of hearing loss due to ear infections
>>
File: 1481569046881.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481569046881.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>59627650
1980s were amazing. Such a great time to be a kid. Kids these days are fucked. Globalism destroyed everything.

>>59627668
My grandpa always had them with his portable radio/walkman... will always associate it with old people and 1980s. But I have fond memories of him and KOSS.
>>
>>59627756
Perhaps a larger headphone that doesn't touch ear as much?
What is your current one?
>>59627713
Mine are in my backpack, i bring them in bus travels all the time, sturdy as hell, i wonder how long they will last.
>>59627873
great music too, not that today's music is bad, i just happen to like a lot of stuff from the 80's.
>>
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is better than superlux hd668b? The bass is better?
>>
>>59627974
Everything's better.

>>59627970
>i just happen to like a lot of stuff from the 80's.
For sure. Today, everything is forgettable and everything popular sounds exactly the same. It's also all autotuned. I can't stand any of the modern pop crap. Well, except for Lana del Rey but she's not even pop...
>>
>>59628012
>Everything's better.
Noice senpai. i already have FiiO k1, this can drive the m40x? Or i have to uy somenting better?
>>
I need a pair of on-ear headphones for urban listening on the subway and in the city. I want something that doesn't look too bad, is closed and can be thrown in my backpack without instantly breaking. I've been eyeing towards the Skullcandy Grind and the Sennheiser Urbanite. I know there's a pretty conspicuous difference in price. What I'm interested about is if the Sennheisers are actually worth the +140 bucks. I like the looks of them way more, but is the sound that much better, or should I be fine with the Skullcandies?
>>
>>59628038
Yeah totally, you don't even really need an amp for them at all.
>>
File: 20170328_155129.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_155129.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
Philips shp9500 and beat to hell hm5 velour pads. Not bad for $40 open box.
>>
>>59628055
>Sennheiser Urbanite
this is what you want. A step up would be Momentum2's but Urbanites are great. Stay away from gaymer shit.
>>
>>59628055
Beyerdynamic Custom Streets
>>
>>59627873
fuckin globalists
>>
>>59625291
bump
>>
File: 1485276084867.jpg (53KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
1485276084867.jpg
53KB, 600x407px
AKG K1000 looks like shit.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/weird-akg-k1000-isolation-measurements
>>
>>59621107
So, a good buy? Paid the full price?
>>
I have some MDR-V6, I've always liked them especially once I got the velour pads. But now I'm wearing them for longer period and finding they retain too much heat to be comfortable long-term.

Is there a good open-ear equivalent? Brand isn't really important but around that same $60 on sale target price.
>>
>>59625138
Maybe whatever you had before was veiled?
>>
What's the best cheap clip on mic?

Zalman or the Sony ECMCS3?
>>
>>59625291
hd600.
>>
>>59630867
So far I'm very pleased with it. I got it for 280$USD delivered including taxes.

Will share more thoughts soon.

One thing I'll note is that the construction quality is very good despite what some have said in the past.
>>
>>59630946
Phillips "trusty fucks" is comfy
>>
>>59630946
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
>>
>>59631100
You paid that much for something manufactured in Taiwan?
>>
>>59631115
Go away, you silly goose.
>>
>>59631273
Thanks!
>>
>>59631455
Not him, you silly goose.
>>59630946
SHP9500S
>>
>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
Galaxy J7
>Type of headphone
On ear/over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter
>Sound signature
Bassy/V-Shaped
>Past headphones
Superlux HD 681/668B/669
Koss PortaPro
VE Monk+
JVC HAFX40

I'm stuck between Beyer Custom Streets and M40X's with Shure 840 pads
>>
>>59632205
Also, how would I go about replacing the PortaPro drivers using the KSC75?
>>
File: 14670703.jpg (93KB, 726x960px) Image search: [Google]
14670703.jpg
93KB, 726x960px
Thinking of buying Senal BAKA-1000's (because of what I've heard about them and their name).

They're about the same as the MDR-V6, right? Only experienced cheaper headphones so far (KZ-ATE & VE Monk+, and Koss UR40). Will I have to spend more than $100 to notice a bump in quality?

~$200
United USA of America
Closed back headphones
Comfy pls
V-shaped

I've been listening through the computer's 3.5mm jack and an iPod touch 5th gen.
>>
>>59632205
>M40x
this.

>>59632086
philips shill is back. kek
>>
>>59632339
Always was here, anon. :^)
>>
>>59631378
>You paid that much for something manufactured in Taiwan?
Taiwan manufacturing is on par with Japan. That's where my Filco keyboard is from. 8 years of service
>>
File: r70x-closeup.jpg (180KB, 1228x816px) Image search: [Google]
r70x-closeup.jpg
180KB, 1228x816px
I'm going to need a better amp for this thing than my FiiO E10K. The fact that it's only spec'd for 150 ohms is concerning, is the output amplifier stage shaping the audio?

I'm getting a decent level of audio though.
>>
>>59632760
>I'm getting a decent level of audio though.
then you don't need a diff amp. don't fall for bullshit audiophool nonsense.
>>
>>59632781
The question becomes, why did they spec it for 150 ohms when it can clearly go a lot louder...
>>
>>59632781
>Decent
He could still do better, anon
>>
RHA T20i or Sennheiser IE80? Not looking for something flat. I kind of want it to sound "fun." Also, muh soundstage. Recommendations besides these two are welcome. Thanks.
>>
>>59632828
Loudness isn't measured in Ω.

Resistance and, in this case, impedance are.
>>
>>59632760
schiit magni 2 or jotunheim.
>>
File: hpg.png (229KB, 861x335px) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
229KB, 861x335px
Hey /hpg/
>>
>>59633346
Magni 2 doesn't take coax in
>>
>>59632760
No you don't need a better amp if E10K gets loud enough.
>>
If I mainly listen to stuff from youtube on my PC, what's a reasonable fullsize headphone price range?

100-150? Or even less? I never buy CD, I don't download music, just youtube and gaming.
>>
>>59633858
Source doesn't dictate the headphone choice. Opening or closed?
>>
>>59633890
Open
>>
File: 1453582889549.jpg (229KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1453582889549.jpg
229KB, 1280x853px
>buy HD650 on sale
>Sounds great
>getting a headache everytime after two hours of use
>switch back to my 8 year old hd555s

help
>>
>>59633858
If you don't care about sound quality then just get whatever's most comfortable in the price range. Maybe something like a 558 or SHP9500.

>>59633915
Stretching your headband makes a world of difference.
>>
>>59633915
I bought the HD 650 recently as well, back when they were on sale for $300. Mine have loosened up on their own over time, and became much more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. Try adjusting the headband a notch up or down and see if it helps. Maybe it's just the way you're wearing them. I turn the earcups on mine before putting them on so they put less pressure on my jaw, it helps against headaches for me personally.

I didn't do any stretching to the headband, I just let it adjust to the shape of my head on its own.
>>
>>59633915
They become looser @ head as you use them.

Patience. Give them a week or two. It's been a month for my HD600, and they're now comfortable. Just still not as loose as my HD598.
>>
How come my hd600s sound good being powered by my smartphone
>>
>>59634304
Couple of reasons. Smartphones usually have a headphone amp built in, and hd600 are low sensitivity, so they don't get very loud, so they don't pull much power.

I have HD600 too, and they sound great on my OP3, where I play love live & deresute.
>>
Are HD600/650 the most meme headphones in /hpg/?
>>
>>59634389
They're just popular, and for good reason.
>>
>>59634389
They work.
>>
>>59634304
Better question to ask, why wouldn't they? Something wrong with the smartphone?

>>59634371
Actually it's definitely on the lower side of sensitivity. Despite that people like to overestimate the power and requirements for volume.

>>59633914
HD 558 is a good option there.

>>59633915
Due to the clamp?
>>
>>59634371
wtf i want hd600's now
>>
>>59634549
I was just under the impression you needed an amp for hd6xx, and i just wasnt expecting them to work so well on a smartphone
>>
>>59634574
Live and learn, extra bullshit filter is required when reading up on audio forums if you aren't knowledgeable enough to thoroughly understand voltage yourself. Your smartphone is an amplifier there and in many modern smartphones the audio output does a very good job at driving most loads.
>>
>Schiit stuff is bring shilled constantly now

This is not the /hpg/ I know.
>>
File: 2GBSV.gif (2MB, 350x267px) Image search: [Google]
2GBSV.gif
2MB, 350x267px
>tfw poorfag

I want to buy some Tennmak Pros but apparently literally nowhere in the UK stocks them anymore. Is AliExpress a safe place to buy earphones?
>>
>>59634876
>now
The most shilling I recently see is for the NFB-11(I think I got that right). A product from a Chinese manufacturer with a questionable history(muh artisan caps) with absolutely no third party data available on how it performs. There is one anon who literally recommends it to everyone, even above their stated budget without ever backing out why. He likes to give the company a free(?) sales pitch over their "amazing quality control" aka "we'll just leave this device on for a few days before shipping it like all manufacturers do at certain price range so that we know it isn't DOA". I hope that isn't you btw.

Schiit products have been actively recommended here ever since Magni and Modi came out. This goes back for years. While their higher end models have questionable designs and a select products had design problems(Valhalla ON/OFF cycle voltage spike), the affordable range always was and continues to be highly competitive.

Remember the "Magni/O2 is a hiss monster"? Probably not.

https://rbt.asia/g/?ghost=yes&search_text=hiss%20monster&task=search&offset=0

>This is not the /hpg/ I know.
What is the /hpg/ you think you know? Shitposting and baiting? Blind brand loyalty and hate? Templateposting? Snapheiser vs Beyersremorse? Endless poor purchase and technical advice? Laughing at audiophiles while not understanding some basic concepts yourself? Insufferably presented sense of superiority? A general where these repeat themselves over and over again?
>>
What hdp has soundstage as HD800 but is under $250?
>>
>>59634551
sonoda umi sounds particularly good.
>>
>>59634574
smartphones tend to have reasonably good headphone outputs. They do have amps
built-in.

This is why when somebody asks "will it sound better with an amp?" we usually point them to "try on your phone and compare".

Computer outputs tend to suck vs the smartphones. Hence the need for external amps.
>>
>>59635247
HD598se.
>>
>>59634551
In all seriousness, HD600 is a good all-rounder, but is known to really excel at female vocals.
>>
>>59635117
I don't shill the NFB-11, I just want to make Anon happy. It's much cheaper than the Jotunheim while also outperforming it, and it only costs a little bit more than a Schiit stack. It's the best value per dollar around that price range

>There is one anon who literally recommends it to everyone

I'm not the only one. Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is if I recommend something to someone that's asking for advice
>>
>>59635532
>while also outperforming it
Source? I haven't been able to find meaningful specs for the NFB-11.
>>
>>59631066
If anything the HD600 sound veiled compared to my K712 Pro.
>>
>>59630668
they're totally open, and that's an isolation graph
>>
>>59635545
http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/webshop/product/audio-gd-nfb-11
>>
>>59635117
Schiit shill pls go. I thought Schiit shills have their own containment forum in SBAF?
>>
>>59626591
Dynamic range sounds more tangential to this than anything else.
>lot more than they should on tracks, not to make everything appear, but to make the whole thing very loud so when you listen to the radio their songs show up more for being louder
>all kinds of excessive compressing problems showing up in the musics
There is no "free loudness".
You change the timbre of the track by adding in any compression whatsoever. But these sort of statements about the loudness war seem to be confusing artistic choice and technical.
>>
>>59635669
>http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/webshop/product/audio-gd-nfb-11
But that's pretty much an ad. The specs also aren't impressive in any meaningful (that is, which will be hearable) manner.

Have the specs been confirmed independently? What is their testing methodology?

For all the shit, schiit did talk about theirs in their 2015 thing, "Chapter 12: Measurements (With a Side Order of Sanity)": http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up
>>
>>59635532
>best value
Subjective and not solely dictated by the performance.
>big deal
It kind of is if you make claims such as it outperforming a product which has third party measurements unlike the NFB-11. Why do you trust them here? Why are you concerned about random anon's spending?

>>59635669
That is copy pasta of the manufacturer spec sheet and lacks meaningful conditions to get those values. Assuming we take their word for it, it's excessively powerful.

>>59635795
Point out the the part where I shilled Schiit.
>SBAF
Funnily enough I have an account but I've never made a single post. The place is very unappealing to me, an echo chamber of their own ideas. I value some of the data they provide however but I can just lurk to see it.
>>
>>59633346
>>59633723
Comparing amp (magni2) with dac+amp (jot) is a bit wrong.

If you add a modi2u, it does then have coax/optical spdif in and usb inputs. But even then, it's still cheaper than the Jotunheim.

The jot is nice vs the stack if you want it to be one piece, if you have exotic headphones that need the extra power, or if you want to try the balanced meme cheaply (else it can be ignored and used in single ended mode... but all you need to try balanced is the right headphone cable).
>>
>>59633914
HD558, HD598se, depending on budget.

Both benefit from an amp but do not need one.

If your board has crystal audio 2 or whatever with a built-in headphone amp, they'll sound awesome straight from it. Else they'll just sound OK.
>>
File: 16-44 FR.png (7KB, 713x411px) Image search: [Google]
16-44 FR.png
7KB, 713x411px
>>59635910
>benefit from an amp
What does this mean in your mind? Why is there a benefit?
>crystal audio 2 or whatever built in headphone amp
Anon please. These are completely forgettable things. It's like saying a TV is great because it had some colorx™ trublack™ motiohancer™ processing on it. It's nothing but marketing that usually doesn't in any way correlate with performance. Pic related is the a measured FR of the following Gigabyte motherboard. Measurements in Archimago's blog.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10#ov
>GIGABYTE AMP-UP Audio™ Technology
>>
>>59635839
>>59635847
It says on their site that they do their testing with the Audio Precision SYS-2722. They are a very reputable manufacturer, not some random chink shit
>>
File: IMG_8319.jpg (68KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8319.jpg
68KB, 331x331px
>>59633038
>>
>>59636092
I'm starting to think that there's legit schiit shills on hpg.

Just look at this guy's post. Do buy our amazing Product from this Reputable Manufacturer.
>>
>>59634304
They say ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>59636144
Huh? I was referring to Audio-GD, not Schiit
>>
>>59636205
You're both shills, then.
Schit is shit, chinkshit is chinkshit.

"headphone amps" and audio gear in general is 90% useless shit to syphon money from 3rd world retards who are too dumb to understand technology and think audio reproduction is magic.

You don't need a fucking amp for headphones, amps are for speakers.
Maybe if your PC motherboard costs like $40, but even then you need a DAC, not an amp.

Especially LMAOing @ retards recommending amps for HD558 of all things lel
>>
>>59636092
What was the load used? Any weighing? Noise and distortion plots? FR? There is so much essential missing here even if we take what the manufacturer claims as granted, which I definitely wouldn't.

>reputable
They've had their line of bad design too. I'll ask again, why do you consider them reputable enough to make these claims? Check this if you can analyze the plots:

http://www.nanovolt.ch/resources/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf

>>59636246
Ironically you only manage to display your own lack of understanding here. Replying under the assumption that you aren't baiting. You got me if you were.

>>59636185
In 2017 we have the capability to design a compact high fidelity amplifier that integrates into mobile devices but we still haven't found a way to rid cognitive bias.
>>
>>59636288
>I connect muh planar magnetics to my tube amp and listen to 192khz FLAC so I can hear flowing mids and shimmering highs
Audiophiles are fucking retards desu.
>>
>>59636311
What on earth are you on about? You can stop shitposting.
>>
>>59636325
I bet you googled whether your amp has korean or japanese capacitors like you know what you're talking about LMAO
>>
Are M40x‘es good for vidya or should I look into some open headphones for the same price instead? Was looking into AD700Xes but in Sukastan they are twice as expensive and Amazon doesn't ship here. Also, how badly will people complain if I'll use open headphones at night?
>>
>>59636021
>What does this mean in your mind? Why is there a benefit?
The HD558/598 have a very odd and pronounced impedance vs frequency curve.

The end result is that their FR is very different with and without amp. The difference is hearable even if they're just sitting on the desk (not even put on).
>>
>>59636021
>Anon please. These are completely forgettable things. It's like saying a TV is great because it had some colorx™ trublack™ motiohancer™ processing on it.
The important part is the amp. crystal audio/sound/whatever 2 have an amp. This is an asus thing. Of course, gigabytes also have models with amps, and different names.
>>
File: HA-FXD80.jpg (107KB, 1099x1500px) Image search: [Google]
HA-FXD80.jpg
107KB, 1099x1500px
Are there any good IEMs under $100 with metal housings? I was looking at pic related but apparently they've fucking been discontinued and cost $260 for a pair now.
>>
>>59636459
Always go open if you can. They tend strongly to sound better than closed, at any given price point.
>>
>>59636592
I don't think you know what the fuck you're talking about.
You're just repeating some gibberish you read on headfi, word for word. You've done this several times now.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>59636694
I own HD598, tested them with and without amp, and I'm describing my experience.

I know fuck about head-fi. I do not hang around "audiophile" communities.
>>
>>59636715
I'm not disputing your experience.
But that has nothing to do with amps, but everything to do with the impedance of the output jack you're playing the headphones from.
The amp you have just happened to have a headphone output with low impedance, as opposed to the motherboard output, which typically have high impedance.
>>
>>59635117
I don't care but showing blind loyalty to one particular company is not in the spirit of /hpg/.
>>
>>59635304
Is this the latest meme here? I mean using your phones to drive difficult loads like the HD600 or planars?
>>
File: 91mf19zE32L._SL1500_.jpg (283KB, 1246x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91mf19zE32L._SL1500_.jpg
283KB, 1246x1500px
This will arrive friday, did I do good?
>>
>>59636786
I think they sound like ass desu
>>
>>59620607
ER4 variants are still being made
>>
>>59636592
>>59636608
You need to brush up what an amplifier does. Any device driving a headphone is an amplifier. This includes your phone, motherboard or a discrete headphone amplifier unit.

>impedance vs frequency
The reason why this can alter the response comes down to voltage division, dictated here by the relation of a frequency dependent load resistance to the resistance at the amplifier's output. HD 558's frequency response can shift depending on the amplifier's output impedance would be a more correct way to put it. Reversing the resulting effect with an equalizer is possible.

>audiophile
Is a word that describes someone enthusiastic about audio. It's a neutral term. Somehow here in the audiophile general of /g/ it seems to to have taken a derogatory meaning. Why?

>>59636750
Yet that's certainly a theme that comes and goes here. It usually revolves around Sennheiser, AKG and Beyerdynamic. I hate it.

>>59636763
>difficult load
Define this. Beyond the sensitivity HD 600 seems like a very simple load. If you are not limited by volume, you have no problem related to driving this specific pair of headphones.
>>
>>59636786
a lot of people believe Audio-echnica is one of the best companies for headphones
>>
>>59636748
This is what I was referring to: http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID%5B0%5D=2851&graphID%5B1%5D=573&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=20&graphType=7&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
Notice how in the HD598, the peak of impedance is quite high at some 280Ω, particularly compared to the lower and vendor-stated 60Ω.

Computer outputs, when the board doesn't have a headphone amp, tend to provide very little power, which goes further down when impedance increases. I do suspect that is the reason.

As for the output impedance... considering I'm talking about the same output of the same motherboard, just flipping amp on/off via alsa-hda-tools, I doubt that's it. Note I'm not saying it doesn't matter; These headphones will sound horrible out of a line out, which deliberately have higher impedance.
>>
>>59636860
A lot of people do, surely. Fools.

It's never about brands, but about specific models.

Careful, there's actual BAD brands. There's just no consistently good headphone brands.

And price is also a factor. Some brands may have some good models at one bracket, but absolute shit relative to same price in other brands, at other brackets.
>>
Would any of you /g/entoomen object if I got a pair of HD600s with a schiit stack?
>>
>>59637209
Why would I have a problem with your meme setup?
>>
>>59637209
>Meme headphone
>Meme amp
>Meme DAC

Back to r/headphones you go.
>>
>>59636810

An anon said they sound pretty great..
>>
File: Selection_2014-01-29--15-06-24.jpg (47KB, 786x275px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_2014-01-29--15-06-24.jpg
47KB, 786x275px
>>59636839
Headphones and audio gear in general are utilitarian devices.
Shit doesn't matter.
Gear fetishism is faggotry.
>>
>>59637254
That was me, I lied. Enjoy you're ass.
>>
>>59637209
That's my setup and it sounds good. It's very satisfying, particularly for listening to lovelive/idolm@ster/otheridolfag music.

No objections obviously ;P
>>
Friendly anons, redpill me on multibit. I'm falling for the meme.

Using the whole samples unlike the approximation few bits mess delta-sigma do seems so right... even if the difference can't be heard. Just... the peace of mind.
>>
>>59637209
>Would any of you /g/entoomen object if I got a pair of HD600s with a schiit stack?
Only retards do. Whatever else you pick will be either more expensive for minimum benefit increase or do a lot worse.
>>
>>59637272

Fuck you, srsly. Why would you do this?
>>
>>59637348
It's placebo autism. It's like 24 bit FLAC.
>>
>>59637348
>redpill me on multibit. I'm falling for the meme.
I would like to, but I need you to be serious, stay around, and pay attention.
>Using the whole samples unlike the approximation few bits mess delta-sigma do seems so right... even if the difference can't be heard. Just... the peace of mind.
This is completely wrong, to the point of absurdity.
Tell me what you know about quantization and errors associated with.
>>
>>59637255
Being utilitarian doesn't detract my interest in the technology which revolves around them or the content they are used to reproduce. You can have interest in both art and technology and these two are often intertwined. Field of audio expands beyond the of technology and art too as there are also psychological and biological aspects at the play. A lot of stuff to learn and understand and plenty of room for improvement.

>>59637348
Even when delta-sigma has potentially higher performance? Instead of the focusing what kind of steps happen inside the the gear, think of it as a black box with a purpose. What matters is what comes out relative to the input.
>>
>>59637640
>Tell me what you know about quantization and errors associated with.
"24bit" ADCs will seldom give you 19bit. But you'd still have more than 16 non-bullshit bits. It seems wrong to degrade this further on the DAC side... even if it sounds the same.

Multibit so appealing :(
>>
File: hpg.png (471KB, 1020x470px) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
471KB, 1020x470px
I guess I can finally make one of these now.

A few days ago I asked a bunch of questions regarding the K240 MKII, and today I got my new headphones.
They sound great and are /very/ comfortable, so thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>59620300

Hey /g/ im looking for some advice.

>Budget
$55-65
>Location
Argentina, so ONLY amazon.
>Source
PC, laptop and smartphone
>Type of headphone
Fullsized headphones.
>Open or closed
Closed, i want isolation.
>Comfort level
Highly confortable. My actual Philips SHL5905 are in the most confortable thing i've had ever. I want something similar.
>Sound signature
I dont care, i prefer a neutral because i use eq on all my devices.
>Past headphones
Philips SHL5905
>>
>>59638007

Forgot to change Budget.

>Budget
$60-80
>>
>>59637690
That's not quantization error per se. That's a reference to the performance of the device, which can be evaluated by wide variety of means. SNR, DR, SFDR, INL, and so on.
Consider it abstractly, step back from practical implementation for just a moment. What does quantization entail, what does having more bits get you?
>>
>>59638007
Not sure what the price is there, but ath m40x refurbs are 80 bucks in burgerland.
>>
File: hpg.jpg (233KB, 1462x734px) Image search: [Google]
hpg.jpg
233KB, 1462x734px
>>59620370
>>
>>59638431
>no waifu
>>>/plebbit/
>>
>>59638204
Apparently been discussed at hydrogenaudio before.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112324.0.html
>>
>>59637933
why a tsundere waifu anon?

also, I hated that The xx album. Jamie xx is so much better on his own. I just can't stand that woman's voice at all.
>>
>Budget
$80
>Location
US
>Source
iphone 6
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
As much as possible, going to use for runs and long train rides.
>Past headphones
I use m40x's as my main headphones.
>>
>>59638811
>why a tsundere waifu anon?
Why not, she can be really sweet.

>also, I hated that The xx album. Jamie xx is so much better on his own. I just can't stand that woman's voice at all.
I haven't actually listened to much of Jamie's own music, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>59638857
>IEM
>>Comfort level
>As much as possible,
Anon, I have some bad news...

You might as well go for some cheap chinkshit at that price point since sound quality won't be much better for $30 extra. I'd also consider buying a bag of various tips and see which of them will fit the best. you can buy the whole kit for $80 then.
>>
>>59638930
In Colour is better than any The xx album.
>>
File: 1.jpg (538KB, 1740x839px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
538KB, 1740x839px
>>
File: i-superlux-hd-681-evo-bk-czarny.jpg (76KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
i-superlux-hd-681-evo-bk-czarny.jpg
76KB, 1400x1400px
I'm using Superlux HD681 Evo headphones for 3 years, mainly listening to heavy drum & bass, neurofunk etc.
>>
>>59639022
boom. there it is! Kuroki waifu. still one of the best anime of all time and one of the best characters of all time. I had trouble watching these episodes without taking a break.
>>
>>59638204
>>59638624
Mkay, I'll resist the temptation of multibit, and save the money for better endeavors down the road, like getting some HD800S to complement my HD600.
>>
>>59634574
If you actually want to get the best out of drivers then yes, you do. Doesn't mean your phone amp won't be able to drive them decently.
Pretty much any headphones that cost over $50 except for meme shit like beats will sound "good" no matter what you plug them into. Save for shitty sound cards that hiss maybe. If you want to understand why people recommend good source for hd600, plug them into one and then plug it back into phone.
>>
>>59639097
>like getting some HD800S to complement my HD600.
Now you get it. Better cans > better audiophool snakoil placebo. Just stay away from Schiit and other audiophool brands and you'll be fine.
>>
>>59639047
Nice blog.
>>
>>59639414
Whatever you want to believe in. But I recommend actually testing it out some time. You could get surprised.
>>
>>59635532
Jotunheim can sound bright with the wrong cans. Also the included DAC is a piece of shit.
>>
>>59639414
Schiit is fine, or at least the stack is. Anything more is placebo autism. Fulla is also autism.
>>
>>59639493
>Jotunheim can sound bright with the wrong cans. Also the included DAC is a piece of shit.
LOL.. come on anon... no one can tell any DACs apart. Any modern chip will create exact same lines on an oscilloscope. Only audiophools believe different.
>>
>>59639435

Thanks
>>
>>59639493
The Jotunheim actually doesn't include a DAC. You have to pay $100 extra for it. How Schiity
>>
>>59639548
>stack is fine
>fulla is autism
Fulla 2 is like 99% of modi2 and 60% of Magni 2 (but conveniently usb powered) at half the cost of the stack.

It's their most competitive product. Magni 2 takes second.
>>
>>59639746
>no optical and coax
>shittier amp than magni
Would rather just get a magni tbqfh. External DACs usually don't make a difference. Only reason to get one is if your motherboard output is REAL bad or if you need spdif or coaxial inputs, which the modi handles very well.
>>
>>59639022
How do you like the ultrasones?
>>
>>59639792
>Only reason to get one is if your motherboard output is REAL bad or if you need spdif or coaxial inputs, which the modi handles very well.
Having something USB powered is nice for throwing around. I use mine at work. As it also has a DAC, I do not have to give a fuck about the source, like a laptop's output that's garbage where you can hear disk i/o as noise.

And it is also small and pocketable, while the volume knob is huge and pleasant to tweak.

At home? coax spdif from motherboard (actually a bracket that connects to a motherboard header and gives both optical and coax, $8 shipped, aliexpress) to modi2u + magni2u setup. HD600.
>>
>>59639598
And it's not even a multibit DAC, it's just balanced.

You can't even try both memes at once. Maybe jotunheim2...
>>
>>59622961
second that
>>
>>59639871
My laptop's output is rather good, almost on par with the entire schiit stack I'd say. Pushes my HE-400 to deafening volumes. Usually you can tell if a laptop has good audio from its specs. I'd personally see more of a use case for a fulla if they added a battery to it so it could be run off of a phone. A lot of laptops these days have great audio while most phones are still lacking.

I had the full stack too but I realized there was no difference between my mobo out and the modi so I returned it. Sort of regret it now cause I can't use my TV's optical out, but whatever.
>>
>>59639928
>balanced
another bullshit audiophool snake oil.
>>
>>59632318
Theyre small. Real small. MDR's arent a particularly large headphone in terms of cup/ear size, and the Senals are even smaller. May be an issue if you have anything other than small ears.

Also, MDR's aren't V-shaped. DT770's would be a better fit. Comfier too.
>>
>>59634304
Depends on the phone and what you're comparing it to. A lot of newer phones actually have quite respectable headphone outputs.
>>
>>59634934
Yes, aliexpress is entirely safe. Its the worlds largest consumer shopping website. If it was fucked you'd know. Only real issue is dealing with the often broken english seller pages. Aliexpress customer support is pretty okay as long as you can prove the item was fukt. If you didn't get the item you're generally fine.

Penon audio may also stock them though they already operate on aliexpress anyway.
>>
>>59640030
Fulla2 and Modi2 both sound better than my motherboard sadly. Specific detail in test songs is just missing from the motherboard. Other sources like my phone and my ancient laptop are totally OK chained to the Magni2.

Another analog source that sucks is my PS3, which also sounds very "warm", lowpass-ish compared to through optical. I used to pipe it with an older's computer spdif in to headphone out using qjackctl for that reason. Now it goes to the modi2 optical input.

As sources _can_ suck and sometimes do, I do appreciate having the option of simply not using them. The modi2 does good and I do not have to worry about that.
>>
>>59639571
I wish it's that simple.

>>59639598
>>59639928
I don't think you can shove a multibit DAC into that tiny space since you need 4 of 'em (plus the supporting circuit) if you want a true differential output.

The Jot sounds nice actually with the HD600/650. I don't even know what's the point of Asgard or Mjölnir anymore since it sounds nicer than them.
>>
ok why do people call stuff like meme headphones
do they just mean a bunch of people like to jack off super hard about them but they really aren't that great
>>
Found some DT770's for cheap and was not dissuaded by the neutral meme.

Bass and highs are clearly accented, but with well mastered music I don't find the highs harsh at all, and the mids aren't too recessed for my taste.

They're also super comfy.
Probably gonna try to do a detachable cable mod and they'll be just about perfect.
>>
File: 1475755170392.jpg (565KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1475755170392.jpg
565KB, 2560x1440px
>>59640969
>>
>>59640969
Pretty much.
For example: 598C, M50X, SHP9500, etc.
>>
>>59639571
>no one can tell any DACs apart
It's not like we don't have shitty designs anymore.
>Any modern chip will create exact same lines on an oscilloscope.
No they won't, obviously.

>>59639928
>And it's not even a multibit DAC
>even
I'd appreciate it more if it wasn't a multibit design.
>it's just balanced
>just
>balanced
Balanced is pretty high end niche design already. I hope you understand the possible benefit of a balanced DAC. It's not in the performance.

>>59640969
Here's a good advice: anyone describing something as a meme can be safely ignored. The word has long lost its meaning here and if someone actually wanted to have a discussion they should put effort into it. Think of it as an equivalent of what botnet has become here.
>>
>>59641269
600s are legitimately good though
>>
>>59641269
I can agree with HD 598 Cs' and ATH-M50Xs, but are the SHP9500S' really that bad for the price?
>>
>>59641313
Of course they're good. They're probably the best reference open back within $300.
>>59641350
I wouldn't say they're bad, just overhyped a bit.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>59641836

NEW THREAD

>>59641836

NEW THREAD

>>59641836

NEW THREAD

>>59641836
>>
>>59641082
>Found some DT770's for cheap and was not dissuaded by the neutral meme.
Sure, it probably sounds ok to you, but you just don't know how much better proper neutral headphones sound. Particularly the open kind.
>>
>>59640929
>The Jot sounds nice actually with the HD600/650. I don't even know what's the point of Asgard or Mjölnir anymore since it sounds nicer than them.
What do you compare the jot against :?
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.