[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cyb/ - Cyberpunk General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 51

File: 1489899023590.jpg (227KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1489899023590.jpg
227KB, 1024x684px
Perpetually on page 10 edition

These threads are for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, and even current events.
Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources <<<
"Dead" Links: http://pastebin.com/ZCypghZf
Organized Links: http://pastebin.com/GAMmimeQ
How To Into Cyberpunk: http://pastebin.com/PPueAapP
Archive: https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&search_subject=Cyberpunk

/r/Cyberpunk: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/
Zeronet: https://zeronet.io/
Freenet: https://freenetproject.org/
Cyberadio: http://www.cyberadio.pw/
Suggestions for new resources are welcome.

IRC: #/g/punk on Rizon

>>> Old Pasta <<<
https://github.com/Tracerneo/Cyberpunk-General
>>
Found this question on another /cyb/:
>List something cyberpunk-ish you do/are doing irl

For example: I've been studying for certs and running VMs inside of VMs with ESXi, Looking to set up some web facing servers for irc, teamspeak, and some other stuff. Got a guy cyber-squatting on some pretty schway domain names that he'd probably be willing to trade for some 3d design/printing work.

Anyone else?
>>
>>59488075
I was gonna ask what domains, but I suppose revealing them wouldn't be in your best interest.
>>
File: IMG_20170319_224008.jpg (381KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170319_224008.jpg
381KB, 1944x2592px
>>59488075
I'm currently running a rack full of secondhand servers. Shit's comfy as fuck. Needs more neon glowing aesthetic though. Also the monitor failed.
>>
>>59488916
>>59488075
Another pic with more light.
Grey Server is running ESXi with a bunch of vms handling web/firewall/mumble/freenas/owncloud/plex

The black machine that you can't see because of the keyboard tray is my personal machine running unraid with a virtual domain inside. It has an instance of windows server and several virtual machines that are passed through to graphics cards and run to my tv and desk where there are keyboards/monitors hooked up.

There's also about an hour of standby batteries stashed behind the rack.

I should really get around to learning how docker works.
>>
File: IMG_20170319_224028.jpg (802KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170319_224028.jpg
802KB, 1944x2592px
>>59488960
Forgot pic.
>>
Daily reminder that things are only going to get worse. Technology is going to advance and people will get dumber, privacy will be breached and freedom compromised. The collision between chaos and order will be more drastic in people. Our thoughts will be monitored. Lives will be harder to sustain once AI and robotics get steam-rolled into conventional labor. Robots and AI will only make the elites richer since they now have free labor, while unemployment and poverty will increase, making economic inequality increase. People won't care since their reality is skewed through the lenses of intentionally placed propaganda on social media. They'll even agree with the policies because it's aesthetic is seemingly progressive and that appeals to the engineered ideology. Junk tech will get bigger. Useful technology will be stuck in the past. Enjoy the free internet while you can, because it's will be the last medium to share information freely that isn't compromised. They'll be rolling out internet licenses soon enough. That'll be how they subversively control the flow of information. The dark times are only beginning and we've seen the last of the good emperors. Stay healthy and trust no one.
>>
>>59487193
I like that /cyb/ was added to the image
>>
>List something cyberpunk-ish you do/are doing irl
War games on overthewire.org

I've learnt so much about Linux from these, as well as working through a book on penetration testing.

I want to make a raspberry Pi a forward facing server, and set it up as a honeypot with a bunch of logicbombs in there so if some clever cunt tries something he'll get nuked
>>
>>59489232
thx chummer i did it in ms paint
>>
File: 1442628112221.jpg (208KB, 757x1054px) Image search: [Google]
1442628112221.jpg
208KB, 757x1054px
>>
File: 1239013810406.jpg (61KB, 525x808px) Image search: [Google]
1239013810406.jpg
61KB, 525x808px
>>
File: photo.jpg (61KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
61KB, 400x362px
I've always wanted a minicomputer, I'd kill for a nova 800, even an early micro like an 8800, but I just found this little thing. A "trainer computer", for people before they went in front of a main machine. The repro has a fair bit more memory than the original OSI 300, but if you don't use it it doesn't matter, the original guide it came with still stands.
If I'm really lucky the guy who originally made the repro will have some left, but chances are I'll just go and order some custom PCB's myself, then track down the bits.
>>
File: 1480127765676.jpg (56KB, 609x709px) Image search: [Google]
1480127765676.jpg
56KB, 609x709px
>>59487193
best cyberpunk movie ever made?
>>
>>59488972
nice setup
>>
>>59490525
Spy Kids 3D: Game Over
>>
>>59488075
>>59488960

Sounds pretty close to what I want to eventually get set up. Not too worried about home theater stuff, but I do need to either get a VM working right to run my CAD software and my 3D printer, or build another PC for that and repurpose the existing PC into a virtualization server.

Decisions, decisions. And money. Money helps...
>>
http://youarelistening.to/
good /cyb/ radio plays ambient music from soundcloud over various police scanners
>>
>>59490502
Now I'm trying to contact the guy who made this, Christopher, I think.
Nothing on the site seems to have his contact info, all the comments on his stuff is closed, and the only other trace of him is a single post on a forum by a new account with no other details.
Anyone help me out here?
http://randomvariations.com/category/osi-300-trainer/
>>
>>59490755
well, vm setup is fast and easy, really. I do it all the time.
>>
File: manu approuve.jpg (58KB, 650x534px) Image search: [Google]
manu approuve.jpg
58KB, 650x534px
>>59489235
Thx for this site
>>
>>59488075
Production manager at a brand new club and am figuring out how to control the entire lighting rig from my smartwatch
>>
>>59491233
I do too, but it would be less of a headache to just get the few parts I need for a dedicated machine, instead of trying to get the features and connectivity I need out of a vm.

Then I could throw 2012 or 2016 DC on the current box, server it out, and stick it in a closet.
>>
>>59488972
You might want to reconsider the air flow. As it is it will suck dustbunnies off the floor.

>>59490525
Blade Runner.
>>
>>59490502
Why not go for the Cosmac ELF? The design is more than 40 years old and still lives on. The "Membership Card" design fits into an Altoid tin.
>>
>>59490755
I use a raspi for my 3d printer. I don't trust a VM to be real-time enough to keep the gcode flowing fast enough.
>>
>>59488075
making my home network a security sanctuary. i have everything mapped out but i need to buy a NIC and possibly buy a wireless card. also i have an old ps3 running linux dedicated to trip mining
>>
>>59492999
The 1802 doesn't exactly have the community of the the 6502, plus the 300 has a bloody good "Getting started" guide.
>>
>>59493005
See that's one of my problems. That and I'm a poorfag with a shitty XYZ printer that needs a proprietary slicer to run properly. Raspi would be awesome if I had a decent printer.

All I need is a board, case, and ssd anyhow. Got a ton of leftover parts from upgrades and trashcan rescues.
>>
>>59493320
Indubitably the legendary 6502 has a cult status others can only dream of. It was the first processor I came across and I learned assembly code before BASIC.

The 1802 has one major advantage though: low power consumption, and the compactness of the Membership Card is pretty hard to beat.
>>
>>59493888
>and the compactness of the Membership Card is pretty hard to beat.
I can't argue with that, plus it's the only kit you can actually get your hands on.
I'll order one when I have a few bucks spare, but for now I will keep searching for the OSI 300.
>>
File: 04BnO58.jpg (225KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
04BnO58.jpg
225KB, 1200x900px
>>
>>59487193
>movies
I've been wondering if the new gits movie is going to stimulate any interest in cyberpunk in the mainstream, as paradoxical as it sounds. It might at least become more relevant, considering the state of the world off and online nowadays.
>>
File: 1462241295627.jpg (2MB, 1920x2737px) Image search: [Google]
1462241295627.jpg
2MB, 1920x2737px
>>59489056
we've been able to delay that shit for at least 8 years ever since Nov 8
not everyone with money and power is a demonic psychopath, some prefer to live in a free world full of positive energy
the factions that want to bring about the dystopia you spoke of, are far from being completely in control
>>
>>59490123
you know I use botnet 10 along side my gentoo and bsd installs, and botnet aside its a pretty solid os, and can even be fun if you know what you're doing
but mspaint instead of paint.net, cmon now
>>
File: A-anim.181.jpg (342KB, 832x369px) Image search: [Google]
A-anim.181.jpg
342KB, 832x369px
Just watched Animatrix for the first time and holly shit was it incredible. The should make a full movie out of the Second Renaissance.
>>
>>59496367
I always thought the Second Renaissance was far better than any of the sequels, even the original.
I just fear hollywood would fuck it up utterly, painting the humans as the good guys, rather than the manipulated, manipulating selfish dumb assholes they are.
>>
>>59496400
>>59496367
Now that I think about it, a film that paints humans as the bad guys would be such a shock to the mainstream audiences the reaction would be gold.
>>
>>59496400
>>59496413
Fuck Hollywood, they already ruined GitS anyway. This was done in Japan anyway, just make a 2 trilogy that starts as Time of Eve and ends like Terminator.
>>
>>59496621
Anyone got the number of the guys who did Ex Machina?
At least they might have the delicacy to work around it.
Netflix is into avant guard stuff too, right?
>>
>>59496652
>Netflix
Since they are going to adapt Castlevania, I doubt they would not be interested in adapting Matrix, though the problem is getting permission from the Wachowskis sisters or whoever holds the franchise.
>>
>>59496765
>Wachowskis sisters
Heh
OH FUCK YOU ARE SHITTING ME THEY BOTH WENT TRANS?
FUCKING BOTH OF THEM?
>>
File: serveimage.png (1MB, 1495x495px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
1MB, 1495x495px
>>59496821
Reality is stranger than fiction, cybro
>>
File: 892034821.png (9KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
892034821.png
9KB, 645x773px
>>59496843
such things that balding may do to a man
>>
>>59496863
At least she lost some fat [spoiler]and some balls[/spoiler].
>>
>>59496231
People are individuals now. They don't care how their culmination of wealth effects the economy because have the Randian philosophy of thinking nothing matters but themselves. Even if they're not actively pessimistic towards the common people, it's in their nature to optimize whatever is in their best interest, which is the cultivation of wealth.
>>
>>59496231
EVERY single person with money and power is a sociopath. All they do is maintain some plausible deniability so things can't backfire.

Ever big company does some barely legal shit, like buying from a factory that is known to explore slave labor; paying government officials to look the other way; creating monopolies, cartels, etc.

How they do it? Simple, if you are upper management you can dictate profit quotas to lower management, the lower management get this almost impossible order so the only way to comply is doing barely legal shit. When regulatory agencies find this stuff and if it doesn't implicate them lower management gets the blame while upper management get that sweet profit margins.
>>
why isnt /cyb/ getting implants yet
>>
>>59497005
You mean like paying a tattoo artist to insert magnets under your skin?
Thanks, but I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a little.
>>
>>59496956
>Simple, if you are upper management you can dictate profit quotas to lower management
That can still go wrong, like with Lehman Brothers. And boy does it go wrong, like taking the entire world economy with it down the tubes.
>>
>>59497005
>why isnt /cyb/ getting implants yet
because that's stupid.
>>
>>59497005
They are really useless for now.
>>
>>59497719
same thing for tattoos and piercings but people get them anyway
>>
>>59497763
At least implants have a greater potential than only being something people regret when they get older. Wouldn't get either anyway.
>>
>>59496231
>>59496956
It's not that they specifically want an apocalypse, or that they hate everyone beneath them, it's that power and money are addictive substances, and that what's good for them (satisfying those addictions) tends to be bad for us. >>59497036
Unfortunately when the technology matures it's usually in the hands of megacorps who want to use it to control you. (Think vr headsets and cars)
>>
>>59498449
you're not entirely wrong, but there's at least a minority of the shot callers who do now want to see the world burn
>>
>>59496843
The Wachowski Tragedy
>>
>>59496843
Nah, that was before Jupiter ASScending.
>>
>>59498902
I never really believed in that sort of conspiracy.
I don't believe in it because anecdotal evidence tells me the contrary, go to a room of people, any people, and make them decide on something, it is almost guaranteed that no decision or some really crap decision will be made, now there is a lot of safeguards in our society implicit or explicit, it would take an enormous effort to a small group to precisely change something in global scale.

The same thing can be said in a highly hierarchical group, the "mastermind" will dictate something and the lower members will execute it differently or not execute it at all every corporation has these problems.

What I do believe is decentralized chaos, is not like the google founders said "Hey let's sell user information for profit" I think is more like Mark from marketing came up with a really crazy idea in a meting and Larry&Sergey greenlight the project and IIRC they bought the company that created it, it's really hard to see ethical repercussions when you are looking in a spreadsheet.
There is a lot of theories that can be debunked with the same reasoning, like big pharma and the cannabis prohibition, they know that cannabis make better painkillers but it would cost them enormous sums of money and time to change their production, so they invest in the government to don't legalize it.
>>
>>59500055
there definitely is a conspiracy
the government does nothing by accident
everything that happened and is happening, and the fallout people have to put up with, was all planned
not by everyone in power, only certain few individuals
Trump wasn't planned, that was a huge surprise, and a win for the people for the first time in history
that made the deep state make loud moves on a frequency where they were seen and have revealed themselves
there definitely is a conspiracy to turn humanity into mindless slaves and its been in effect for thousands of years
but the reality is that this world needs balance
and (((they))) have been winning for far too long
Trump is the first of many victories for the people
we have entered an era of peace, love, and positive energy
but, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep fighting
the enemy is the most wretched and treacherous force
>>
>>59500264
you can't enter a cyberpunk thread and call trump a "victory for the people"
>>
>>59497005
Nothing to justify the cost yet. I'll do it once I can either increase cognitive, sensory, or physical function in a way that's noticeable in daily life. I may get a magnet implant one day but I think that's pretty low-tech and not very cyberpunk.
>>
>>59500264
Having worked for a governmental agency (no, nothing exciting) and a state owned enterprise, I can say
>there definitely is a conspiracy
... that there definitely is no grand conspiracy. many are so dim you wonder how they manage to get their shows on, most likely they are grateful for velcro. Mostly they stumble along and

>the government does nothing by accident
... accident are legio and every day the country does not implode is a miracle I am grateful for.

Just get a .gov job and see what it looks like from the inside.
>>
File: TrumpShrine.gif (2MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
TrumpShrine.gif
2MB, 380x214px
>>59500825

Not that guy, but he is though. He is seriously the most non entrenched, non globalist politician we have had since JFK.
>>
>>59500825
Trump isn't perfect and is far from the be all end leader
but the establishment planned for him to lose
he was not supposed to win
which means they are not 100% in control
Trump is very much is a victory for the people, even if only symbolically
>>
>>59500895

I'll agree with this chummer
>>59500929
Symbolically I'd call him a victory, however in practice and specifically with the potential and realized attacks on tech, with a cyberpunk mindset, calling him anything other than a symbolic victory seems to be a stretch
>>
>>59500929
>the establishment isn't in control

lol

trump is a GOP puppet now, anyone who believes otherwise is a fool...the man is literally a talking head that is at the mercy of paul ryan and the republican party elite at all times
>>
>>59500961
sounds about right
the fact is that a man who the establishment wanted to lose won the presidency
so there's definitely hope

>>59500977
yes they're trying to control him, and the odds are stacked high against him
but the fact remains he got into office against their wishes

they want you to believe you have less power then actually do, so end up doing nothing
you must stand up and challenge them
they bleed like any man
there are more of us, and we're better
plus we're fighting for a righteous cause so momentum is on our side
>>
That OP image is way better than what I shat out.
Good job, whoever did that. Looks pretty.
>>
File: Capture.png (95KB, 1043x541px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
95KB, 1043x541px
>>59501341

I like the original /cyb/ image that we've had forever. I like the OP image as well. After I make my arcade sign I may make a /cyb/ one as well.
>>
>>59501341
Aww thanks boss. Yours is good though! I did it in MS Paint, because I'm laaazy. (And though there's no proof it was actually me, we're all anonymous so it doesn't matter yey)
>>59501479
I like the idea of alternating, gives it a little more flair than the rest of the generals. I was gonna make a few more with some of those images that always get posted here. It'd also be cool to make some with people's projects that they post here.
>>
>>59500825
>>59500895
As someone who hates everything trump has done and everyone he's put in power, I think it's possible to be schway and still like him. It all depends on your perspective, and the perspective that he's gonna break up the political oligarchies and megacorporations is one that I wish I could believe.
>>
>>59501959
Variety, I like it.

The only thing would be that the "/cyb/" would have to be noticeable enough to spot in the catalog, yet not overbearing in the image.
>>
>>59501959
I like the idea of switching the image up a bit
>>
yeah the one thing about the other image is that it is noticeable. Hence us having two /cyb/ threads atm
>>
>>59502883

Well that's easily fixed if we ctrl+f or read.
>>
>>59502883
This one is getting cucked due to edgy bait in the other one
>>
>>59500825
>>59500895
>>59500929
Just think of what Reagan did for punks, Trump is that times a thousand.

>>59500977
>GOP
>Not trying to literally kill Trump this very second
Trump is a mad dog that nobody wants in office, except the chaos worshippers maybe. At least we're going to have some interesting times.
>>
>>59504104
?
>>
>>59504386
>GOP wanting trump out of office
no shit

doesn't change the fact that in the interim he is still their lap dog

i agree with what you and >>59501029
said in sentiment though, he definitely fucks up the mainstream flow

terrible candidate though still
>>
>>59504529
A terrible candidate for a good government, maybe. A terrible candidate in a bad goverment might double negative that shit.
>>
File: lel.jpg (747KB, 1353x976px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
747KB, 1353x976px
>
>>
>>59504555
oh my god
I love this
>>
>>59504672
MS Paint is a versatile tool for the new millennium.
>>
>>59489056
>people will get dumber
I don't think its people getting dumber thats the issue, and we could argue all day about what that means, i think its that people are becoming more apathetic. Almost every tech savvy person I know is completely fine with letting companies track their every move both online and irl. I understand that on some level ita inevitable, but its concerning that people are just becoming ok with it.
>>
>>59505010
Willful ignorance is worse than the shitty education.
>>
>>59490525
Strange Days
>>
File: shitty breakouts.jpg (78KB, 538x278px) Image search: [Google]
shitty breakouts.jpg
78KB, 538x278px
>>59504856
Aside from making nonsense in ms paint, and more in the vein of this anons >>59488075 question, I've just finished making these shitty looking breakout boards for testing a keyboard that I've been trying to map for a deck I'm making. I'd like it to be able to function as a remote terminal and locally as a regular keyboard.

My thought process lately is that I want to have made most of the equipment I use so I at least have a decent sense of what's in all the shit around me. The keyboard mentioned above is from an old word processor type thing from the late 1990s I found at a thrift store. Everything inside of it was salvageable, the screen's connector was standard 2.5mm pins and most of the ICs were in sockets. I've always had such a love-hate relationship with the modern age of embedded electronics, everything's getting better technologically, but more closed off and unreusable.

also pls no bully about my etching job, i was using a sharpie on some copper board i found in the trash a while ago//
>>
>>59505148
fair enough.
I do feel the same way as that anon, I just try not to fall into the whole 'everyone around me is so dumb and I alone see the truth' kinda thing. I feel like it's really more of people being placated rather than made stupid//
>>
>>59488075
thinking of setting up some pirateboxes around my school.
Link for reference: https://piratebox.cc/
Also I work as a junior sys admin for SETI, also just got a job managing the school servers.
Sys admin life here I come!
>>
>>59505245
What does being a junior sys for SETI entail?
>>
>>59505305
so far it's been making scripts to check if sites are up and making MySQL backups. Also setting up things like logwatch. It's through workstudy at my school so it's not full time
>>
File: 1487393185211.jpg (37KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
1487393185211.jpg
37KB, 640x429px
>>59505183
>>59491779
>>
Whats the name of the movie where the one pencil necked, moot looking guy has the police or FBI knocking on his door and he uses a magnet on all his equipment?
And if anyone has it, can you link the anime edit?
>>
File: cyb.jpg (24KB, 671x198px) Image search: [Google]
cyb.jpg
24KB, 671x198px
>>59505469
ah shit, i can picture that webm
>>
>>59493058
Trip mining?
>>
>>59505469
DJ something, the guy.
>>
>>59505627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8
>>
File: 1442629184959.jpg (466KB, 1600x862px) Image search: [Google]
1442629184959.jpg
466KB, 1600x862px
>>59505469
>moot looking guy
kek
>>
>>59505376
I'm jonesing for some sushi
>>
>>59505638
mary sue
>>
File: saibure.jpg (104KB, 614x767px) Image search: [Google]
saibure.jpg
104KB, 614x767px
>>59500929
>>59500961
>>59500977
>>59501029
>>
>>59505484
>>59505627
>>59505713
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiBI0yrtHUo This is the version I was looking for
>>
>>59497005
With advanced age many here will: pacemakers.

Remember: grandmothers are the original cyborgs.
>>
>>59497096
Daily reminder the world went to shit and those fuckers got bonuses or millionaire severance packages and they went on setting up shop after everyone else got fucked.
>>
>>59505783
I thought he wanted room service.
>>
>>59504555
kek
>>
>>59505960
that looks schway af
>>
File: 1341340562861.png (4KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1341340562861.png
4KB, 640x400px
Is Nackt alive? Used to be my favorite namefag.
>>
>>59509460
He died, in the great namefag purges of 2016. [citation needed]
>>
>>59509566
>he
According to the archive, no posts in 2 years.
>>
>>59509629
>>59509460
>>59509279
who?
>>
>>59509460
We have another one. Twos a crowd.
>>
bbump
>>
>>59504386
>Reagan
Trump and May is to our times what Reagan and Thatcher was for the 80's, the era that gave us both space opera grade Strategic Defence initiative (SDI) and also Cyberpunk.
>>
What rom do you folks use for your phones?
>>
>>59513034
ios10 :^)
>>
>>59513034
when I could find a phone I wanted to use I had some old one-off fork of CM because that's literally all that it would run. Now I just use a shit tracfone and carry a computer.
>>
File: 1479088542117.gif (1MB, 702x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479088542117.gif
1MB, 702x600px
>>59489056
>tfw we are actually living the start of a cyberpunk age
>>
>>59513198
You'll just have to make all the cool shit (like in your pic) yourself.
>>
>>59512675
Trump just signed up for Mars 2033, SPACE OPERA HERE WE COME
>>
>>59490944
Is this in the sticky yet?
>>
What do you guys think of using UseNet and BBS for /cyb/?
>>
>>59513723
Thats the sort of shit I grew up on, I dunno if there's anything cool still around that warrants them. Imageboard = BBS for all practical purposes anyway.
>>
>>59513871
If only the text boards were still active
>>
>>59513925
Agreed.
>>
Newest iteration of Cyberpunk community soundtrack is out.

Totally forgot for a few weeks that it's coming. It's also pretty low key, so most likely no one else shared it in /cyb/.
There are soundtracks from previous years too, should make up for a good playlist.

http://cyberpunkcommunitysoundtrack.tumblr.com/
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e0ar9ghqcz66nqt/Cyberpunk+Community+Soundtrack+no.6.zip
>>
Any criminals itt?
>>
>>59513925
I just learned that they got shut down.
>>
>>59514450
Do you count thought crime?
>>
File: _ojxwm0pPdN1qkbpm3o1_1280.jpg (721KB, 1212x1562px) Image search: [Google]
_ojxwm0pPdN1qkbpm3o1_1280.jpg
721KB, 1212x1562px
What is some must have tech for your house?
>>
>>59513723
>UseNet
Ahh yes. news:alt.cyberpunk was the happening place, I miss it.

And let us not forget Future Culture which was related, a mailing list where 400 emails on a single day was regarded as quiet. That was the era where we drank straight from the firehose.
>>
>>59516009
>2 hours syncing news
>shitposting as hard as possible from the suspense
>>
>>59516069
>2 hours syncing news
News servers were syncing continuously, at least the ones I had access to. So you could see parts of the conversations were missing but were filled in later.

I used trn for newsreading, after running the killfiler you could just pump articles to the screen using the space bar. Too much garbage and you just updated the killfilter.
>>
>>59505469
The Core
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8
The audio is super quiet in this upload
>>
>>59516009
Is any shit like that still up?
>>
>>59515538
A gun. Kill yourself.
>>
>>59516347
usenet never went down but it used to be a free service with most ISPs.
>>
>>59516347
Many free shell servers have Usenet access but most groups are pretty dead. There was a tiny glimmer recently but that died out.

Some systems allow anonymous accounts, that is anonymous for posting though known by the system admins in case things blow up. So far they have stood up to the powers though you should always assume alphabet soup agencies will always know.
>>
>>59493320
>>59493888
The Woz was inspired by 1802 when he created SWEET-16. Source is available (and tiny) so you can get a feel for it while still using 6502. It was a rather clever idea, like much of what he made.
>>
>>59516355
datedge.jpg
>>
>>59515538
I guess that depends on what you're into?
>>
Is Cyberpunk basically anarcho-capitalist world?
>>
>>59519936
That's what life is, buddy. The rest is optimism and self delusion.
>>
>>59487193
>>59520421
>>
>>59490944
Thanks, this should be stickied
>>
I'm trying to learn hacking and python, but I get this kinda writer's block whenever I start like I can't stand getting into doing it even though I've always been interested in them. How do you guys get past this? What's the best place to learn these?
>>
>>59521771
Code like you're sponsored by Nike

Just do it. Eventually you will overcome and become what you seek to be.
>>
>>59521771
IIRC some place had a bunch of VMs for hacky challenges. As for python, who needs to learn? Just keep the reference open in a browser and you can write like a pro anyway.
>>
>>59521898
I'm using hackthissite.org mostly but that place has a way of not explaining itself at all. I also have recently been using hacksplaining.com which I should use more.
>>
File: 1419117104816.jpg (314KB, 1280x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1419117104816.jpg
314KB, 1280x1256px
>>59487193
Pretty cool thread, OP: keep the good work going.
>>
File: n4swx3jpp9iy.jpg (96KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
n4swx3jpp9iy.jpg
96KB, 540x721px
>>59522085
thx boss
>>
File: trumpdo.gif (236KB, 584x438px) Image search: [Google]
trumpdo.gif
236KB, 584x438px
>>59505960
>>
>>59519936
Close. National governments are not much, if ever, seen in cyberpunk literature. Big companies, like Ono Sendai or Yutani Weyland, wield a lot of real power. Also much power is held by media conglomerates.
>>
>>59516347
Google Groups is not much announced lately, also not obvious how to search for it unless you already know about it. This is a direct link to alt.cyberpunk:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.cyberpunk
>>
>>59522460
Lel
>>
>>59490525
Lynch's Dune.
>>
>>59525334
>Lynch's Dune.
Is that really cyberpunk tho? Don't get me wrong, I love that movie but where's the computer tech?
>>
File: 1487445299251.jpg (3MB, 2836x1411px) Image search: [Google]
1487445299251.jpg
3MB, 2836x1411px
Best /cyb/ anime?
>>
>>59525375
lain, ghost in the shell stand alone complex and 2nd gig, ergo proxy
>>
>>59525442
Psycho-Pass
>>
>>59525442
>ergo proxy
Post-modern, yes, but was it really Cyberpunk?
>>
>>59525738
Dunno I haven't seen it yet, I just know it gets thrown around a lot on here
>>
>>59525367
I'm going to ramble a little bit about it because the political talk is boring. I think the movie is a bit of a yes and a no.

Spacers guild(corporation rules everything since it controls space travel tech) other corporations are pretty much replaced with a feudal monarchy type family that control planets.
then the bene gesserat are their own corp and are running corporate espionage in all the other corporations to develop a eugenics experiment scheme to take control/rule over everything. While it's not really an exact science since the thing they use to do it also is warping other people into mutant fish creatures and human computers.
computers are outlawed in favor of mentats but there are other tech things
computers are specialized things that can be put to a lot of uses but like if you sent a guy back in time to the stone age with a laptop pc and a magic battery that never runs out of power what is he really going to be able to do with it? a lot of things are adapted to be manipulated by a computer but computers themselves don't really manipulate the world the way people think they do. so i don't really think it conflicts a lot. They still have a high tech level space ships/atom bombs/laser rifles, energy shields.

I suppose it's more general sci fi since it has more of a fantasy element to it like star wars, but I think a lot of it sort of fits into cyberpunk in terms of plot and characters I think the film is rather cyberpunk since in a lot of cyberpunk most characters are not computer power user / hackers it's more about how the technology plays a role in the plot rather than how people are adapted to using it.
>>
>>59526708
So I want to say no since AI is outlawed in dune they don't want the machines to be too advanced, while they attempt to turn people better without augmentation so it leans more to fantasy.
However in terms of how tech is actually used it's very cyberpunk.

I suppose for a more generic cyberpunk type film some of the older sci fi stuff adapted from philip k dick novels like Total Recall or The 6th Day is probably a lot more cyberpunk toward the traditional definition of it
>>
>>59490559
lol'd
I've actually seen it a dozen times, though. It's pretty good.
>>
>>59526891
I kind of think it's very cyberpunk though since if you know the back story they had AI and everything, so to avoid it they're boosting their own intelligence to artificial levels. I suppose either way you cut it though most cyberpunk tends to go toward espionage, human augmentation, and high tech stuff then the plot kind of ensures the low life part since it's always going to come down to crabs in a bucket.
>>
>>59525375
Cowboy Bebop.
It's the outcome of the producer asking for Cyberpunk and the writers being in more of a jazzy, humanistic mood.
>>
BBC has started a column called Future Now which touches on some cyberpunk issues now and then, including a fair bit on AI and VR:
http://www.bbc.com/future/columns/future-now
>>
>>59497005
I want some eyes through, but that's most difficult part of a body
>>
>>59529039
ears are the easiest in theory to replace and are the most easily damaged by modern conditions.

they have tried digital ears and the dude died of a stroke after awhile and had all sorts of weird shit that drove him crazy
>>
>>59525375
>>59525442
>>59525549
>>59525738
>>59528657
Fucking Akira you plebs
>>
>>59529218
overrated as fuck
>>
File: 1461985830457.jpg (391KB, 631x421px) Image search: [Google]
1461985830457.jpg
391KB, 631x421px
>>59529218
Best soundtrack ever. Also, fucking loved Akira! Best anime of my childhood.
>>
>>59529271
>overrated as fuck
your mom's overrated on escortpages.
>>
>>59528657
It's definitely more neo-noir that others
>>
Tell me /g/
What is something cyberpunk you did today?

[spoiler]bonus points if it was hardware related[/spoiler]
>>
>>59530739
played around in some microcontroller assembly, trying to pick up enough to look into firmware blobs.
>>
>>59530739
follow some python lessons to work on AI
>>
>>59530792
Jinteki links to some decent resources on assembly, they need to be accessed through wayback though.
>>
>>59530739
Improved on hacking and started watching Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>59529039
Lens replacement to cure cataract is one of the most common operations there are. OK, so it is a *part* of the eye but nevertheless has major impact.

It can even make you capable of seeing UV light. Though these days artificial lenses have UV filters, to protect the retina.
>>
>>59530739
Working on the FAQ, halfway there. That includes a new section on cyberpunk hardware. This is also a stealthy bump, hoping this thread will be alive tomorrow.
>>
File: 1487782405563.gif (232KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
1487782405563.gif
232KB, 500x388px
New Cyberpunk Telegram Group

https://t.me/cyberpunkgeneral
>>
>>59530739
started capturing packets on my schools wifi network to learn more about it
>>
>>59531908
Nah, man. As much as I like Telegram, /cyb/ should be as anonymous as possible.
>>
>>59531790
What FAQ?
>>
>>59522085
>yfw you realize this is just antifa
>>
>>59530739
I got a fucking parking ticket while doing something hardware related today.
>>
>>59533129
>yfw everyone has misused the word fascist since the 1960s and now there's no way to tell
>>
File: 1478042406332.jpg (78KB, 910x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478042406332.jpg
78KB, 910x720px
>fags ITT complaining about Trump

His only virtue is pissing PC faggots off and his only purpose is a red-herring.

He's distracting you from the real scum of the earth, who happen to be the people who appose him.

Get your heads out of your asses because it's no longer a red vs. blue era. Neocons and neoliberals are one in the same because they both speak a common language and that's power.
>>
>>59533229
I feel like most people here would agree, it's just that trumps also a cunt, so why distinguish him that much from them.
>>
>>59530739
>>59530792
Speaking of microcontrollers, anyone here familiar with 8081 programming? I've got some at89c52 chips lying around that I've been trying to set up a flashing bed for, but they only seem to have uart, no spi.
>>
>>59531790
I think the last thread got pretty near the post limit, which is pretty good for these threads~
>>
>>59533259
He really isn't a cunt. You just think he is, because every popular talking head said so, and know you can't think of any other description. Cunt is also subjective. He's a bonehead, but not a cunt.

If he's a cunt to people who want to censor me and hate me because I didn't get indoctrinated with chaotic beliefs, then he's the antithesis of a cunt to me.
>>
>>59533229
>that pic
>that im-so-wise tone/content

/r/cringe front page
>>
>>59533332
You said it first.
>>
>>59533319
>He really isn't a cunt. You just think he is
>Cunt is also subjective.
..?
>>
>>59533343
Is there a problem? Those statements don't contradict each other.
>>
>>59533362
Because it's kind of implied that is subjective?
>>
File: 1473904809937.gif (211KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1473904809937.gif
211KB, 480x320px
>>59533391
>I can't have an opinion on something subjective
>>
>>59531187
>seeing UV light
That's wicked
>>
>>59533229
Trump surrounds himself with neocons. He talked about draining the swap yet he has the swamp in his cabinet
>>
>>59533807
Yeah but 1st term plays have to be safe ones or you don't get a 2nd term. He can surround himself with whatever he wants and still get final say. Doesn't mean he's not on their side though.
>Trump is still a Democrat
>Neocon ideology perfectly aligns
>>
>>59533828
Well, I really want to believe in him. Let's just see how these 4 years will play out.
>>
File: girard_kowloon004.jpg (54KB, 458x696px) Image search: [Google]
girard_kowloon004.jpg
54KB, 458x696px
>>59530739
Building a GPGPU cluster on Rocks to run a deep learning network and mine alternative cryptocurrencies to pay for the electricity to run the cluster.
>>
>>59533866
I wouldn't put too much hope in the American political system. I respect how honest the man can be, to quote "you think our country is so innocent?", but he just won't be able to create substantial change. That's just how America has molded itself for any revolutionary candidates.
>>
>>59534074
My best possible outcome prediction is that nobody ever takes the government seriously ever again and it collapses under its own weight.
>>
All these trump posts got me thinking, I speak this as a "latino americano" I know only one or two things (that I get from MSM and alt-right media) about him, but I know my country history and my country history is filled with a plague: Populism. So I could say that I could spot a populist and this is what trump looks like.

Populists tend to pry on the "abused class" ,the majority, to gain popularity and consequently the office. The "abused class" in this scenario is poor/midle class white people that has no job, because Juan/Lin can do it cheaper. and has no voice becasue "muh white privellege". So yeah Trump was like the light in the end of the tunnel right? Well he now holds the office, and like every other populist, its government is filled with people he, the new messiah, had sworn to eliminate. People might say that is just strategy, but is not. That's the real face of populism.

You might say that I can't judge him and you would probably be right, after all I have very little knowledge of US politics, but I ask you to read about populism to do some critical thinking and a little skepticism in what your government is doing to your rights. Just because someone you like endorse certain things does not means that this thing is good for you.
>>
>>59534104
Civilization will eventually be on the verge of collapse regardless of belief. I don't like unreasonable nihilism, but the fact is we can't sustain ourselves with an increase in population, growth in untaxed automation, increase in natural disaster, decrease in natural resources, solar catastrophe, etc. We'll eventually just return to our barbaric selves while the ones who can't adapt will be left behind. If you're finished learning what you want about technology, start learning about self sustainment without technology. We're living in a fraction of the special time-line where we live like kings, and I think everyone needs to be a bit more appriciative of modernity, before we're forced to regress into nature again.
>>
>>59534223
>not knowing how to completely re-implement sustainable technology
besides our usable trash will long outlast my lifetime. Also in the USA at least the State governments are a failsafe against federal collapse anyhow. It's not going to destroy the world just fuck with the order of things. Malthusian tier collapse will solve most of the problems almost instantly after it happens.
>>
I got a Raspberry Pi recently and I'm looking for simple projects to do on it. I barely know python and I'd like to learn more.
>>
Anyone else have a zeronet site? Downloading namecoin blockchain now
>>
>>59535231
>https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
>>
>>59535292
Can you tell me more? Can I run javascript sites in that? What about PHP>
>>
Which browser does /cyb/ use?
>>
>>59535361
There is only one browser(family) and that is firefox.
>>
>>59535379
>Not using Vivaldi
>>
>>59535396
There is only one browser, there's never been any alternatives. There may be alternatives in the future but they are currently too immature. Anything else must be considered compromised by default.
>>
>>59530739
Picked thinkpad parts out of an industrial waste bin and pieced them together to make it work.
>>
>>59530739
wore the beanie I got from defcon last year
>>
>>59535396
More like

Not using Vivaldi
>>
>>59532980
>What FAQ?
The rather old alt.cyberpunk FAQ, updating it with the last 10 years of developments. That is a fair bit of work and editing.

The idea is to complement the pasta which is still sorely lacking in contents.
>>
>>59533129
>antifa
Completely brainwashed morons.
>>
good morning /cyb/-america bump
>>
>>59537308
Dogmatism makes fools of both sides.
>>
>>59535832
Hell yeah, nothing schwayer than dumpster diving. Been a while since I found anything good. Anyone else have better luck?
>>
File: IMG_5851.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5851.png
2MB, 1334x750px
Bomp
>>
>>59540739
Good luck with that.
>>
>>59531908
Why go to something like Telegram when Wire is better and already failed to work out here?
>>
>>59542283
<3
>>
>>59500264
Excellent b8
Wrong thread
>>
>>59500264
>meme parentheses
K
>>
>>59536737
Ah, good idea.
Hopefully things sync up right and it can be in the next op//
>>
>>59534155
May be true, speaking as a Hispanic myself, I don't hate the guy, I just think he isn't what we say he is.

The reason I love /cyb/erpunk is because it doesn't belong to either side. True counterculture.
>>
>>59532548
I rather agree. It is possible to be anonymous on Usenet, and alt.cyberpunk has a decades old tradition for pseudonyms.
>>
>>59545721
I was never into the usenet scene, I thought it was all for nerdy (nerdier than BBSes) shit until I way way later found alt.binaries after the internet came around proper. So in retrospect my dad was a fan cause porn.
>>
>>59545721
My strategy is having multiple accounts with names that have no connection to me.
>>
>>59545825
The client software like trn, slrn etc were not very user friendly and it maintained a high threshold to entry. Some preferred it that way, to keep the riffraff out. That plan collapsed when AOL got in.

>>59545833
I think most of us do.
>>
>>59530739
wargames
>>
File: 1442624647863.jpg (341KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1442624647863.jpg
341KB, 1400x1000px
>>59547850
where?
>>
>>59534040
It seems like all cryptocurrencies are just a scam. I might just be a bit bitter since I saw bitcoin roll out and thought it was some type of gimmick that would never catch on so I missed out and watched it working for a few years. It's sort of absurd to think the major miners are not also working at getting huge chunks of smaller currencies and increasing the hash difficulties to levels only people with lots of hardware can deal with leaving only them mining the currencies and no one else having any real use for it. I really don't see how any of these cryptocurrencies will not collapse it just seems like a scam to draw a few people in and the major miners to cash out before it busts.
>>
>>59548617
much like real currencies
>>
>>59548671
I don't think there is any parallel. Real currencies already are mostly cryptocurrencies in the storage medium of electronics. USD for example only a small fraction of money is even minted or printed most of it just exists as an electronically stored number.
If someone wanted to buy something valuable from me with bitcoin there is no way on earth I'd ever make that deal. I would only ever sell things for bitcoin that I could not get USD for. The only way anyone would offer bitcoin for things people don't offer USD for is if the bitcoin were so worthless they just want to get rid of it as badly as I want to get rid of the object I can't get USD for and it makes the entire transaction pointless because I'd trade the bitcoin immediately for USD.
>>
>>59548985
I remember once seeing someone on /biz/ say that "there are only two things that give most currency value. either it represents something valuable, or it represents a really strong military. bitcoin has neither."
>>
>>59549448
I wouldn't take advice from anyone on /biz/
I'm sure some people made out like bandits from bitcoins, personally I take it when bitcoin says it's best to trade for it the largest coin hoarders are trying to slowly cash out without alarming anyone.
>>
File: t3_5v5et5.jpg (88KB, 747x923px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5v5et5.jpg
88KB, 747x923px
>>59549933
fair point
I think that the cyb-est person alive today is that anonymous dude who created btc.
>>
>>59550135
I have literally no proof since I haven't bothered to dig into it at all but it wouldn't surprise me if BTC was developed by some Government agency similar to ARPANET and TOR and then disseminated to the public. Given how easy it is these days to DOX someone it just seems highly suspicious that there's absolutely no trace of a clue as to the indentity of it's creator. Which screams covert government actors to me. But then again, he might have just been behind 7 proxies.
>>
>>59550351
it was obviously assange playing 10D chess ahead of his wikileaks credit card ban
>>
>>59550460
Yeah I suppose there is no knowing. I don't think anyone knowing who it was would really give it any more validity as a currency though.
>>
>>59550135
Being (actually) anonymous is pretty fuckin cyb. Bump.
>>
>>59535361
>>59535379
>ffox
>2017
use qutebrowser or kys, casual
>>
>>59551572
when it gets to qtwebengine yes, probably.
>>
File: k-punk.abstractdynamics.jpg (107KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
k-punk.abstractdynamics.jpg
107KB, 750x600px
>>59525375
Dennou coil is garbage.

here's my personal list of cyb anime. working it into a constant stream for my CRT TV but got a lot of downloading to do

Serial Experiments Lain
Armitage III
Area 88 OVA
Cyber City Oedo 808
Black Magic M66
Interstella 55555
Space Dimension Fortress Macross
Bubblegum Crisis
Space Runaway Ideon
AD Police
Parasite Dolls
Megazone 23
Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Psycho-pass
Alien 9
MD Geist
Neo Tokyo
.hack
Gasaraki
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Ghost in the Shell 1995
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Paranoia Agent
Akira
Patlabor 2
Jin-Roh
Key the Metal Idol
Wicked City
Ninja Scroll
Demon City Shinjuku

should be added to the pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/PPueAapP
>>
>>59551817
Oh good I've been looking for a more comprehensive list myself.

>Akira
FUCK Yes
>Lain
of course.
>Armitage
Too scifi for me, kiefer sutherland did some voices in that golden age of cyb though iirc
>808
Fuck yes.
>All gits
yes
>ergo proxy
not bad
>tex
fucking weird
>paranoia agent
fuuuuuckkiiiing weiiiiird
>Psycho pass
pretty good for an intro, nothing amazing
>jin-roh
good shit
>ninja scroll
u wut
>.hack
A personal favorite, way underrated and underbudgeted
>Geist
ya

I'm not a fan of the giant robot shit, patlabors and that. I never saw any macross til macross plus got movie'd in the 90s and that was some cyb as hell shit with the CGI sequence out of nowhere. Blew my mind.

Thanks for the list though, I got a lot of shit to watch.
>>
>>59551940
>ninja scroll
>u wut
kek nice catch, shouldnt be there.
might also add space opera:
Ginga Tetsudou 999
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Gunbuster
Space Battleship Yamato
Mobile Suit Gundam
Space Captain Harlock

>I'm not a fan of the giant robot shit, patlabors and that
check out gasaraki. it's the closest anime I know to GITS, spiritual tech w postmodern politics. by the same director of VOTOMs which is very realistic milsim-tier mecha. mecha can be really cool aesthetically, but almost all of the shows is designed to sell toys. real robot like gundam is a lot better but still not dark enough for my taste.
>>
>>59552187
cool, will do.

>only got like 1 season into LoGH
sooo fucking dense
>>
>>59551817
>Dennou coil is garbage.
Citation needed. It features AR and (optical) hacking.
>Area 88 OVA
Why?
>Interstella 55555
Why??
>Alien 9
Why!?
>Ergo Proxy
Citation needed.
>Ninja Scroll
W-what???

>should be added to the pastebin:
Much should be added (I am working on that FAQ that will have a list) but I would appreciate some good reasoning first.
>>
>>59525375
Ninja Slayer!
Once you get over the animation style the setting is great, the novels are good too.
>>
>>59552609
>Citation needed. It features AR and (optical) hacking.
Have you watched it? It doesn't explore in any detail whatsoever the content or consequences of the technology. It's functionally treated like magic. The cyber shit is purely surface dressing. The most anyone could draw out of the entire series are the aesthetics for its Futuba-channel style "dark" web shown in one or two episodes. Otherwise it's just a pretentious magical girl show with ugly characters that makes a point of not pandering to otaku, oh and a "unique" "cyber" theme. Reddit bait.
>>
>>59552772
Dennou Coil is like Miyazaki made cyberpunk. You had it right by describing it like magic. The show is about the human element and not the specifics of the technology.

I love Dennou Coil and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you enjoy cyberpunk. But yeah I'd never consider it cyberpunk itself.

Not everything with fictional near future technology is cyberpunk. It's more about the themes than it is about the time period.
>>
>>59529218
Not cyberpunk and the manga is better.
>>
>>59552836
No need to be redundant, I already said "pretentious" and making a point of pandering to otaku, what else could that mean but shallow imitation of studio ghibli?

Dennis coil was shallow cyberpunk but it was also poorly written show barely exploring its themes. It started with potential but faltered around 8 episodes and languished in that same place for the next 16. I wouldn't be surprised if the primary creator/director left the project or something, it completely just refused to progress in any meaningful way. Yes, I'm still mad I wasted my time on it
>>
>>59553040
Point of not pandering to otaku*

In any case, it's not relevant to this thread. you still have shit taste though
>>
>>59552772
Pandering is a myth that has never been proven to exist by anyone. Because in reality the whole concept is just narcissistic projection.
>>
>>59553184
Ok. Not relevant to the point. Dennou cool was signalling a self conscious avoidance of the tropes and stylings of more shallow, otaku-loved anime
>>
>>59488075
I visited Tokyo
>>
>>59488075
I'm using technology to augment deficiencies of my human body,
i.e. I wear glasses.
>>
>>59553249
Oh yea? My augments are psuedo-biological and embedded semi-internally

ie contacts
>>
>>59553224
"Otaku" does not mean what you think it does. You are talking about imaginary people.
>>
>>59553365
>ACKSHUALLY
I understand you're trying to push a political point, but it's not relevant here. Miyazaki identifies an otaku subculture that commercial anime caters to, dennou coil's creators are seemingly aware of the same trend - even if it's their own misperception - and self consciously dodges it. Whether or not they exist as a subculture, do exist but aren't catered to by the industry, do exist but aren't called otaku it technically just means nerd of any kind - it changes nothing.
>>
>>59553567
Miyazaki has no idea what otaku means and neither do you and 99% of westerners who hysterically rant and rave about them. You live in a dream world.
>>
>>59552772
>Have you watched it?
Yes, I have.

>It doesn't explore in any detail whatsoever the content or consequences of the technology.
It does not go into the technical details but Wm Gibson doesn't either. However Dennou Coil does look into the consequences. Check up again on just *why* the system was created. All the pieces come together at the end, perhaps a little too suddenly.

There is no gritty neon lit back streets. That isn't compulsory either.
>>
>>59549448
or oil
>>
File: 1487734833254.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487734833254.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>59554346
I guess that's the question of where neo-noir overlaps with cyberpunk, since the former is more of an aesthetic thing and the latter involves a more specifically technological setting

I guess you could say that although cyberpunk is now, neo-noir is not.
>>
>>59488075
running 4 servers off 4 different ras pis
>>
Is oneplus 3T running linage OS a cyberpunk phone? (second only to the neo900)
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
Is there enough meat between my forefinger and thumb to put an RFID tag in? I want to be augmented.
>>
>>59556457
Put it in your wrist idiot
Or better yet get a northpoint at least you cant be tracked with that
>>
File: SDFSDSSSSS.jpg (29KB, 587x353px) Image search: [Google]
SDFSDSSSSS.jpg
29KB, 587x353px
>>59556457
Probably. With your hand in that position (all digits straight), bring your thumb close to the rest of your hand, so it's next to your pointer finger. Hopefully you have enough 'meat' so the skin bulges up around here, that's probably where you'd want it.
>>
>>59556217
>fingerprint sensor
>chinese gov. backdoor
>qualcomm backdoor
>no.jpg
>>
>>59556915
whats a better example then?
>>
File: hacker.jpg (19KB, 374x176px) Image search: [Google]
hacker.jpg
19KB, 374x176px
>>59556457
What's all that in the background?
>>
>>59556915
s2/s3 with replicant is the only specific thing I know of that's completely secure, because backdoors are drokk af
if you can live with being a little less cyb and in the botnet, i would still try to avoid china and/or processors that have confirmed backdoors //
>>
File: dasit.png (35KB, 381x187px) Image search: [Google]
dasit.png
35KB, 381x187px
As a Cyberpunk how do I get laid?
>>
>>59557471
Literally, prostitutes.
>>
>>59557548
robo-prostitutes specifically
>>
>>59552855
>Akira
>not cyberpunk
I don't know about no mangoes but Akira the film is pretty much perfection. More story might have gotten in the way.
>>
>>59557471
Ninjas
>>
>>59557471
you hire trannies to fuck you in the ass and make a thread about it on /b/
>>
>>59557924
As a movie adaptation of an extremely long manga, yeah the movie is great. It's a masterful technical achievement. But the manga has a much more expansive story.

And yeah, Akira isn't cyberpunk.
>>
>>59557471
I have a boyfriend, so I dunno.
>>
File: file2.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file2.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>59558115
I'm probably never going to read the comic just cause the movie is so good as a self contained thing. There could have been an awful amount of exposition but they decided to just be mysterious n shit. Worked.
>>
>>59558157
That's a pretty stupid excuse. You can just say you don't read.
>>
>>59558170
I don't read comics generally but it's not an excuse, it's a really quite valid justification. I don't think more story can add anything more to the movie. It might do it harm.
>>
>>59558193
Then you're retarded for dismissing an extremely well regarded classic just because it's long.
>>
>>59558235
Not cause it's long, because making a film isn't just about cramming more shit into it. NOW if they could keep up the quality of Akira and get the whole series in film that would be different.
>>
>>59558278
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
extreme bio hacking:
http://scienceforthemasses.org/2015/03/25/a-review-on-night-enhancement-eyedrops-using-chlorin-e6/
>>
>>59558115
how can you say akira isn't cyberpunk
>>
>>59559676
There's no cyber. It's tech-noir like Blade Runner. Similar aesthetics but different themes.
>>
>>59559676
I don't know his logic but I assume he's referring to the whole comic stuff.

>>59559725
>technoir
>not cyberpunk
>literally biker punk kids
>with future dystopian tech
Bladerunner practically defines cyberpunk, there's less noir to akira though the focus isn't entirely on tech there's a lot of the bio side of it.
>>
>>59559751
Is this /r/cyberpunk? Biker punks aren't cyberpunk.

Blade Runner defining cyberpunk? Are you kidding?
>>
>>59559795
>Biker punks
>With stolen stupid high tech bikes
They aren't cyberpunks but they can be cyberpunk. There's a lot of factors but yeah, blade runner practically defines cyberpunk. Not everything but it is an environment which is completely compatible with the literature while expanding it in different directions.
>>
>>59559751
Biopunk is a derivative of cyberpunk but that doesn't mean it IS cyberpunk.
>>
>>59559751
Akira has hi tek lo lyfe, that's enough desu.
>>
>>59559835
Neuromancer defines cyberpunk. Blade Runner is tech-noir and child be considered proto-cyberpunk.

It doesn't have cyber, Reddit. If there's no connection to information technology it's not cyberpunk.

Not everything in the future is cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is a very specific subgenre of science fiction.
>>
>>59559858
So does Star Wars.
>>
>>59559868
But there are literally androids, with bio components. My core example of cyberpunk in blade runner would be
>Enhance

Deckard is not a cyberpunk, he exists in a cyberpunk world. Not just the theoretical info tech, it's the practical implementation thereof. Also there's a lot of japan cause that was a thing in the 80s/90s.
>>
>>59559877
Star Wars doesn't take place in the near future aka 20 minutes into the future.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (35KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
35KB, 512x384px
>>59559894
mm, 20 minutes into the future cyb as hell. High tech journalism will almost always end up being cyb.
>>
>>59559892
They're not androids in Blade Runner, they are entirely made of flesh. Blade Runner is based on a cyberpunk novel but Scott explicitly removed all the cyberpunk from it.

You clearly haven't seen the movie if you think it was based around IT.

Neuromancer defined cyberpunk, Blade Runner is tech-noir and simply inspired the aesthetics of a lot of cyberpunk afterwards.

But this is apparently /r/cyberpunk so aesthetics are all that matter.
>>
>>59559892
Zooming in on a tape cyberpunk now?
>>
>>59559972
Yeah, I've read the book too but I don't remember it as well as I should. I'm not arguign against neuromancer either but to think the two are incompatible is wrong. Tech isn't a focus in Blade Runner but it's consistently there in the background in most of the scenes.
>not androids
They seem more practically like Alien tier android tech (not a coincidence) rather than pure bio stuff.

>>59559983
Practically, yes. As we know in 2017, yes.
>>
>>59560040
Then you don't know what you're talking about. Ridley Scott has said himself the Replicants are entirely biological.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170324-161223~2.png (286KB, 1080x1517px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170324-161223~2.png
286KB, 1080x1517px
>>59560040
>>
>>59560106
That's a perfectly reasonable interpretation excepting their superhuman capabilities. Other people in the films also have perspectives which conflict with Scott's interpretation and the ambiguity only adds to it. Still...
>The capabilities to bio-engineer custom superhumans
>Not having cyberpunk tech involved.
>>
>>59560144
Everything in the future is cyberpunk to you then, is it? Is Star Trek cyberpunk?
>>
>>59560170
Maybe, star trek didn't have a lot of punks. I'm elss into scifi anyway. Did you ever play the westwood blade runner game?

What is it you have some NEED to fulfill to classify something as cyberpunk? "Cyberspace"? The word cyber? Some homage to Gibson?
>>
>>59560214
I always write "Neuromancer" in my posts to have my post become a living example of cyberpunk. It doesn't matter how or if it fits the context. Saying "Neuromancer" gets me credit rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA
>>
>>59560214
Information technology. Which is the Gibson definition of cyber. If it doesn't involve a paranoia of information technology in the future it's not cyberpunk.

Blade Runner is a noir story set in the near future, it's tech noir. Akira is biopunk where Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk. Hackers is set in the 90s but it's still cyberpunk.

There's a reason cyberpunk culture half-existed in the 90s when the internet first took off, and there's a reason we can emulate it now. Cyberpunk isn't just about the future. It's about using information technology as a form of resistance. It's about information technology being used as a form of surveillance and control. Cyberpunk is not a time period, it's a theme.
>>
File: 2017-03-24 16:29:15.425.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-24 16:29:15.425.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>59556774
I feel like I'd break one in my wrist.
I haven't heard of North point though, are those the flexible ones?
>>59556863
Seems like I might be able to! I'll have to find someone who can do it and meet/ talk to them before I go for it.
>>59556949
I make jewelry for a living
>>
>>59560394
Check out Dangerous Things.
>>
>>59560366
You're describing stories/characters where characters were cyberpunks. That's not the same thing as describing a cyberpunk-compatible setting. Akira is I dunno, tech is there and dystopia is there and biopunk is irrelevant. What about Strange Days?

>MC is a salesman/con artist
>Secondary characters are thugs
>Plot is about tech
>Environment is techless except deux ex machina

I had a second argument along the same lines but I forgot it.
>>
>>59560465
Ghost in the Shell is about a government task force, not punks.

But this is apparently /r/cyberpunk so whatever. Aesthetic is all that matters.

Enjoy listening to Pertubator and browsing 4chan on your Windows install with a city wallpaper.
>>
File: DPE2oPg.jpg (109KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
DPE2oPg.jpg
109KB, 640x853px
>>59560500
>But this is apparently /r/cyberpunk so whatever. Aesthetic is all that matters.
Stop generalizing.
>>
>>59560465
Oh how bout another (pretty funny) PKD adaptation

Johnny Mnemonic
>Not a techie
>Has tech in his body
>No cyberspace
>anti-tek punks
>Navy Dolphin brain computer
>The dolphin is the resistance

>>59560500
Government can be punks, clearly the Major's loyalty was to fucking-whatever vs. govt. Nice impotent rage about aesthetics. Try responding to arguments sometime.
>>
>>59560556
No point arguing if you ignore anything that's said, Reddit.
>>
>>59560597
>No point
>Nothing will top my mountain of salt
>Can't formulate an argument anyway
>Should just re-read Neuromancer
>>
>>59560556
Anon... You stuff say PKD wrote Johnny Mneumonic. Maybe you should read anything.
>>
>>59560614
I answered your question and you responded by blowing a spot bubble. Not much else for me to say.
>>
>>59560635
Oh good call, yes I fucked that up. I was going at total recall 2070 first but I changed my mind mid post.

>>59560654
>m-muh spot bubble
>>
>>59560665
>calling out a typo
Awh, babies first internet argument.
>>
>>59560687
>Implying the typo was anywhere near the lack of argument
>Implying
>>
>>59560556
>Johnny Mnemonic
>PKD

>The state of /cyb/
>>
File: i dunno lol.png (143KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
i dunno lol.png
143KB, 352x352px
>>59560704
I made my argument and you chose to ignore it. Not much else I can say to somebody who is clearly an idiot.

You don't know what cyberpunk is and just like the aesthetic, that's fine whatever. /r/cyberpunk is all about that. It's linked in the OP now, anyways.

But just because you like the aesthetic of neon lights, high tech cities, and 80s synth music doesn't mean you understand what cyberpunk is and why it exists.
>>
>>59560747
Please for the sake of my incompetence, restate your argument.
>>
>>59560747
>hey here's a warning about the shitty future
>no stop liking it, oh gosh why did I write it so alluring
>>
>>59560756
Cyberpunk is about paranoia towards information technology, it's about corporations using it as a form of control and "punks" using it as a form of resistance.

The reason cyberpunk culture half-became a real thing in the 90s and the reason why try to emulate it now is because cyberpunk has become reality, not a form of fiction. It's not a time period or a style.

Something might have biker punks in the future but that doesn't inherently make it cyberpunk.
>>
/cyb/ - "Meatpuppets Pretending to Be Cyberpunk but They Only Talk about Anime" General
>>
>>59560886
That'll be the next one once this hits page 10.
>>
File: Snowcrash.jpg (34KB, 205x350px) Image search: [Google]
Snowcrash.jpg
34KB, 205x350px
>>59560825
So thats your final answer, muh corporations vs. muh punks-who-are-tech-savvy?

I'll ignore the corporation part since generic authority fits approximately as well.
>Pic related
>Cyb parody
>"Cyberspace" primary/secondary theme
>Megacorps everywhere
>Resisting..... ancap religious cult?
>Corporations are fine
Cyberpunk, y/n?
>>
>>59560916
Old /cyb/ really was much better. But I guess this is modern /g/, which means the people who post here are also probably the morons that argue about GPU brands and smart phones in the rest of the board.
>>
>>59560931
Yeah, Snow Crash is cyberpunk. I mean technically it's a parody of cyberpunk like you said.

It's bad cyberpunk but it's still cyberpunk.
>>
>>59560933
Like the old /cyb/ threads on g? Are you sure you don't have a bit of rose tinted goggles going on?
>>
>>59560950
So back to my originaler question, is it simply the existance of a "cyberspace" which makes something cyb? The use of said cyberspace in the story or by characters within the plot? The existance of such a thing without use in the plot?
>>
>>59560933
>/cyb/ - Shitposting General: Let's all Love Nackt
>>
>>59560977
>Are you sure you don't have a bit of rose tinted goggles going on?

No, mine are mirrored. They were definitely better than this, though. Pre-/fucko/ /cyb/ was good, not great but good. Compare the old pasta to the new one, honestly. The difference is pretty clear just from that.
>>
>>59561022
tfw was there for /nackt/posting.
>>
>>59560931
>Cyberpunk, y/n?
It is second generation, or silver age, cyberpunk.

>>59560933
>Old /cyb/ really was much better.
Perhaps. This one has been pretty good too though. I am not complaining.

Wow, we passed 346 postings, now on page 8. Time for a new one? We are on a roll!
>>
>>59560995
>So back to my originaler question, is it simply the existance of a "cyberspace" which makes something cyb?
No, and nobody claimed it was. Depends on your definition of cyberspace though I guess. A lot of early cyberpunk like Neuromancer described it like a VR simulation, Ghost in the Shell did the same thing. But Neuromancer's cyberspace was in reality a prediction of the internet.

I would say that networking and connectivity between technology is pretty integral to cyberpunk. Required? Probably not, but an extremely common theme. Since most pre-Internet cyberpunk had some form of it, and any new cyberpunk would have to go out of it's way to ignore the internet for some reason.

All cyberpunk has a form of the internet, some like Serial Experiments Lain make it the primary focus of the plot whereas most use it as a means of advancing it.
>>
>>59561130
If it could wait 30 min I had some links that I'd been meaning to add to the pasta
>>
>>59561170
>>59561130
I know what is/was termed cyberpunk in the 80s and 90s, I was more interested in what defined it not what it described since there was much totally-not-cyberpunk arguing.

>>59561130
There was a legit second thread started while this one existed, 2 separate threads of people wanting cyb shit. It's coming back into style with a vengeance.
>>
>>59561201
>5 day old thread
>with a vengeance
lol
>>
>>59487193
>/r/Cyberpunk: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/
Can we remove this from the next thread please? It's embarrassing and not schway.

Any cyber jockey with half a brain would know how awful /r/cyberpunk is.
>>
New thread >>59561430
>>59561430
>>59561430
>>
can i deliberately fuck up my SCART-cable to my CRT-monitor to have a cool distorted effect?
>>
>>59561201
>I know what is/was termed cyberpunk in the 80s and 90s, I was more interested in what defined it not what it described since there was much totally-not-cyberpunk arguing.
I think it would be more clarifying to segment it, into golden age (Sterling, Gibson, Shiner, Shirley...), silver age (Neal Stephenson etc), and later (the Altered Carbon series)

>>59561252
I for one will double down on vengifying.
>>
>>59561899
Thats still describing a thing rather than defining it though.
>>
>>59561929
It is hard to pin down into a neat tidy definition. That is in parts what kept alt.cyberpunk going for years.
>>
>>59562179
And why cunts get to feel superior about calling shit out when they can't define it. Might as well give up that line of reasoning altogether and just go with whatever.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.