[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is rust a meme? why should I use it over Go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 14

File: rust-logo-512x512.png (94KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
rust-logo-512x512.png
94KB, 512x512px
is rust a meme? why should I use it over Go
>>
>>59434526
Go is more of a meme than Rust is desu.
Just use it and figure it out for yourself.
If you like autism you will like Rust.
>>
>>59434526
I don't know why they always bring up golang and rust.
Literally the only thing they have in common is they are compiled.
>>
>>59434526
>why should I use it over Go
Why the fuck would you ever use these meme languages?
>>
>>59434526
>is rust a meme?
yes
you shouldn't
>>
>>59434549
>>59434563

go is maymay too??? :(
>>
File: 1488243967606.jpg (405KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488243967606.jpg
405KB, 900x1200px
>>59434526
I love both. However comparing Go and Rust is retarded, Rust is incredibly more efficient than Go. Go is faster than Java and C# while Rust is faster than C++.

However Go is easy to learn, you can learn it in a week while Rust is insanely more complex. Although Rust gives you the best security and memory safety than Go.
>>
>>59434526
>is rust a meme?
Yes.
You shouldn't.
>>
>>59434582
Yes, it's another throw-away language produced by googles fucctois.
>>
>>59434526
You are too retarded or Rust
http://nomad.so/2015/03/why-gos-design-is-a-disservice-to-intelligent-programmers/
>>
>>59434526
go, C, C++, D, R, Ada, python, hell even java are better than rust
>>
>>59434659
Dfag here I wish I were good at Rust instead

And no, C is a cancer that needs to be wiped out of the universe
>>
>>59434718
>c is cancer
Brainlet detected.
>rust can replace c
>ever
"no"
>>
>>59434785
You seem very upset, give me any reason why should people use C anymore. It's utter trash if you ask me
>>
Posting in a shill thread.
>>
>>59434816
You don't have to
>>
>>59434800
>why c
Device drivers, embedded software, kernels, anything that needs efficiency as a top priority.
C doesn't hold your hand, and no one should be writing it unless they know this.
Don't suffer the delusion that Rust can even compete with C in those domains, it can't.
>its utter trash
It's not utter trash, but it is certainly not the best tool for the job where efficiency is not the top priority. Use whatever you want in that case.
>>
>>59434896
>Device drivers, embedded software, kernels,
Rust and C++ are more than capable of doing that. Not even C's compilers are written in C.

>C doesn't hold your hand
And? ASM doesn't hold you hand either why not use ASM instead?
>>
>>59434930
C is portable
>>
>>59434951
?
So is Rust/C++
>>
>>59434930
>Rust and C++ are more than capable of doing that. Not even C's compilers are written in C
Capable, but not competitive. C is more efficient.
It's not impossible to write safe C.
GCC is pretty much written in C as far as I can tell. It's basically C with classes.
>>59434930
ASM is not portable.
C is portable.
C is also way easier to write than ASM.
>>
>>59434526

Generics, better safety, better performance eith no gc, functional programming
>>
>>59434957
>So is Rust/C++
Not to 8 bit micros
>>
Rust is not even safe. Literal placebo.
>m-muh dangling pointers
Retards.
>>
>>59434992
GCC is written in C++
>>59434992
>>59434957

>>59435017
Why not use Hardware Description Language like VHDL?
>>
>>59435022
Are you saying dangling pointers are a problem? Or are you one of those invisible expert C hacker masters in the movies?
>>
>>59435030
>Hardware Description Language like VHDL
Because you're programming a microcontroller and not a FPGA or CPLD...

A 8051 can be had for cheaper than either too
>>
>>59435047
I'm saying you're a retard and should stop shitting up the board with your shilling.
>>
>>59435065
Not an argument
>>
>>59435072
You gave none.
>>
>>59435030
>GCC is written in C++
I didn't say it wasn't, just that it barely uses C++ features. A lot of their source files still use the .c extension.
>so is rust
Yeah, no.
Try bootstrapping a Rust toolchain.
Then try bootstrapping a C toolchain.
It's not even comparable.
>>
>>59434718
thinking rust will replace C is like thinking something can replace assembly, C might be less used, but it will never disappear
It's reality, get over it
>>
>>59435085
I asked if you are implying dangling pointers are not a problem
>>
>>59435095
>C is assembly
What
>>
>>59435058
https://japaric.github.io/discovery/
>>
>>59434951
C software on the other hand isn't, so that's a worthless attribute.

>>59435017
wrong
>>
>>59435017
> 8 bit micros
Literally who cares, programming uC isn't "real" programming, it's a branch of electronic engineering, the algorithms being implemented are trivial. In any case, it's such a small niche C can has it, after it finally pushes asm out of it ofc.
>>
Rust is fucking hard to learn. I want it to succeed, but at the same time, I hope it doesn't, so I don't have to learn it.
>>
>>59434526
Rust is trying to be a good alternative for C/C++.
Go is trying to be a better C++ at web stuff.

They're different.

Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.
>>
>>59435135
You are mistaken

In /g/ we are all kernel devs and we program micro controllers every weekend
>>
>>59435153
>Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.
That's what /g/ made you believe
>>
>>59434816
>>
>>59435093
>Try bootstrapping a Rust toolchain.
>Then try bootstrapping a C toolchain.
>It's not even comparable.
This is just one reason why C will always exist, and so assembly
>>
>>59435135
This, there are even more suited programming languages for 8 bit microcontrollers that don't allow allocations unknown at compile time at all.
>>
>>59435167
It's the reality. The development is so slow.
There is a lot of shit still missing.
>>
>>59434526
Rust and Go are both ephemeral memes. Stay with C or C++
>>
>>59435122
>STM32F3DISCOVERY
>Cortex-M4
lol bloat
>>
>>59435153
>Go is trying to be a better C++ at web stuff.

Go is more like C desu

>Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.

back to /pol/
>>
>>59435189
Top quality argument, anon
>>
>>59435153
> Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.
What does this even mean?
>>
>>59435192
>go back to /pol/
>implying it's only /pol/ that is sick of SJWs
>>
>>59435185
>The development is so slow.
>>
>>59435192
>Go is more like C desu
Go is literally picking up C++, stripping it of the retarded C++ shit, retaining the good bits and marketing it for the web.
>>
>>59434618
This. They will throw go away for go2 like they did with angular and polymere
>>
>>59435141
I bet that's what half of the /g/ contrarians are about.
>my sides when thinking about the future where non-soc system programming requires complex programming languages and /g/ weeded out, loses their jebs and gets btfod
>>
>>59435193
He's actually right, while it's a uC it's still a full-blown 32-bit ARM. Most of uC are still 8bit.
>>
>>59435208
Don't you mean Java?

Go was literally designed as a Java replacement that isn't as retarded
>>
>>59435197
It probably means he went to /r/rust, asked something really retarded and was told.
>>
>>59435223
But java is retarded as fuck, like you said.
And go is more low level compared with java.
>>
>>59435225
>he went to /r/rust
You would know. I suggest you stay here.
>>
>>59435223
How the fuck does Go in any way, replace Java?
I mean Java is cancer, but at least you can do things with it.
>>
Is there a future for go, when WASM is going to be a thing?
>>
>>59435233
>And go is more low level compared with java.
The only thing more low level than Java about it is that it isn't running on a JVM by default.
>>
>>59435192
>back to /pol/
Have you been under a rock or something? Being sick of feminazis and SJWs is the mainstream opinion now days.
>>
>>59435235
>I suggest you stay here.
ok
>>
>>59434618
>k of k&r a fucctoi
OK Kid.
>>
>>59435261
this, Rust isn't overly SJW these days, it peaked about 2 years ago and has been slowly declining since then
>>
>>59435302
How do you measure such things?
>>
>>59435316
Amount of memes posted in /g/
>>
>>59435301
well, he invented C after all...

>>59435333
trips of truth have spoken
>>
Rust is a good language and so is Go
They do not compete with each other, I love both of them
>>
>>59435367
They both suck. Learn OCaml.
>>
>>59435199
>implying /pol/ is that much better than SJWs

the truth is /pol/ themselves is the reason SJWs are so bad because they give them attention by ironically being triggered by everything.

> A transwoman contributed to this software project? REEEEEEEEEEEEE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING REEEEEE

>This game has a non-straight character? REEEEEEEEEEEEE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING REEEEEE
>>
>>59435237
>How the fuck does Go in any way, replace Java?

>The key point here is our programmers are Googlers, they’re not researchers. They’re typically, fairly young, fresh out of school, probably learned Java, maybe learned C or C++, probably learned Python. They’re not capable of understanding a brilliant language but we want to use them to build good software. So, the language that we give them has to be easy for them to understand and easy to adopt.

College Java pajeets have to be able to understand it and write backends in it

Also GC so it wasn't meant for a systems or performance critical language like C or C++
>>
>>59435301
Ken Thompson helped in Go, not Brian Kernighan.
>>
>>59434816
programming languages are non-profit
>>
>>59434591
>rust is faster than c++
>>
rust adoption is paid for by botnet mozilla abusing normies
go adoption is paid for by botnet google abusing normies

why would you use obscure botnet tech, do you have any self-respect and integrity left?
>>
Nah, just use Go. It's fast enough and you dont have to bother worrying about whether you have a mutable inner reference inside a struct and all the other bullshit that rust requires you to deal with for like a 10% speed improvement.

Learn go in like a day and be done with your project by tomorrow instead of spending a year on hobby projects and reaching expert beginner in rust.
>>
File: 1488577937023.png (81KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1488577937023.png
81KB, 512x288px
>>59436625
>>
>>59437751
"times slower"
Unbelievable that Americans consider this illogical, inverted drivel to be valid English.
Put that graph is the trash and show something that's worth a damn.
>>
>>59438266
Mate what are you on about? It makes perfect sense and the graph is easy to read.
>>
>>59435115
C is needed to work at the same level as the CPU. It's the only high-level language that can be used to write drivers.
>>
>>59434526
Traits
Tagged unions/enums
Pattern matching
Better copy/move semantics
Cargo
Borrow checker
>>
>>59434556
they came out around the same time. semi-similar goals in certain areas.
>>
>>59434556
Equally meme. Equally gay.
>>
>>59434526
You shouldn't. Just use Go.
>>
>is rust a meme?
yes
Go is a language written by smart people so that 100 retards could write something together

learn literally any other progamming language
>>
>>59434526
I'd rather learn Haskell in the time that it took to learn Rust.
>>
>>59436625
underrated comment
>>
>>59434556
CSP concurrency is their key feature. In fact when Rust still had that concurrency model as part of its syntax, it looked a lot like Go smooshed with D. Naturally they were seen as competitors.

>>59434591
>Rust is incredibly more efficient than Go
Nonsense.

>you can learn it in a week
You can learn it in an hour.
>>
>>59439654
> same level as CPU

u wot m8
can I access the cache randomly with C? no
shut ur stupid mouth
>>
>>59440279
>Nonsense
>>
>>59440452
>Rust 3.96
>Go 3.95
Nice.
>>
To those who say rust is shit:

Why is it shit? If I'm fine with using "a meme" "run by feminazis" what actual disadvantages does it have to the competition? I can see exactly two:

Lack of extensive libraries
Not as fast as idiomatic C, yet faster than everything else it would compete with.

So why shouldn't I or anyone else use it? It seems like if performance can be improved (which it can and has continually been doing as rust has matured), and it seems to offer some tangible benefits over other programming languages (massive support for concurrency, helpful safety features, a good type system).

So why is it a bad language that we shouldn't all be massively supporting? Thinking C is going to disappear is dumb as fuck, but it doesn't seem that rust loses anything over C.
>>
>>59440928
It's not shit, it's pretty good. It's the only new language that performs faster than C++. Rust makes it harder to produce bugs because of it's strictly disciplined typing.
You should realize after the recent Wikileaks event that three letter agencies post in /g/.
>Any retard who says safety doesn't matter
You haven't probably seen the influx of these people
>Nothing to hide, nothing to fear
>Linux is shit use Windows
>Botnet wants me to starve
>Who needs safety
etc etc

These are the kind of people that advocate against your privacy and data safety. Typical arguments against rust is
>Ur dumb
No, every C programmer have made mistakes and bugs
>SJW xD
Inane
>>
>>59440816
Good one
>>
>>59440928
It's shit because if you don't rewrite EVERYTHING in it then it's totally useless. And nobody who's willing to rewrite everything in a new language will get things done. Before they're halfway through, the next shiny thing will come along and everyone will drop Rust and leave behind a graveyard of poorly thought out unmaintained code.
>>
>>59440996
I have a couple disagreements with you:

#1 They probably do vaguely monitor 4chan, but I seriously doubt they play any active role in posting. The people on /g/ don't have enough value to influence. Those that are important already know how important safety is. The NSA gains nothing from some 20 something choosing windows over linux. I think their value in monitoring just comes from the occasional leaks/real threats that have happened on 4chan and of course monitoring boards like /b/ to catch distributors of cp and such.

#2 "Safety" in a programming sense, while somewhat related to security, is different than the "Safety" of using, say, tox over skype or whatever.

#3 Every programmer ever makes mistakes and writes bugs. Rust helps solve some bugs but it isn't like rust magically makes you write bug-free code. I think there's a level where we have to be realistic here.

Also yeah SJW posters are inane as fuck. Sorry, but I don't think my using a fucking programming language is going to make me a transsexual or contribute to some jewish conspiracy theory.
>>
>>59441051
>rewrite everything its useless
What the hell are you basing this on? Yes, a lack of libraries is a hindrance, but things are being ported and even then, for many projects extensive libraries aren't always necessary. Plus we have shit like Redox OS that is pretty much rewriting everything and has come far as fuck in 2 years.

Rust also has a large corporate backing in the mozilla corporation, which adds to its potential staying power.
>>
>>59441093
There is a very hight possibility that you are going to produce a memory exploit in C than Rust. Any help is useful, anon
>>
>>59441126
Rust is a safety language. The BDSM compiler has ways to punish you to stop you from writing unsafe code. However, it can't understand code written in other languages, and most ways of getting things done in Rust consist of calling libraries written in C. The safety guarantees completely go away. You might as well just write in C at that rate.
>>
>>59441134
I agree that rust makes it easier to avoid memory exploits, but keep in mind you're still going to have to write unsafe code. You're playing with fire but you can point to the fire whereas with C it may be less obvious where the fire came from and how far it spread.
>>
>>59441093
I've also seeing anti Rust propaganda in various other sites under f̶a̶k̶e̶ new accounts, and their pattern of posting shockingly varies as the site's culture.
>>
>>59441126
>ported
You mean calling a C library right?
>>
>>59441164
There's no anti Rust propaganda. Just experienced programmers telling it like it is.
>>
>>59441176
Experienced programmers are fascinated about Rust
>>
>>59441183
Experienced programmers know better than to take notice of a fad.
>>
"Despite its widespread adoption, many programmers have criticized the C++ language, including Linus Torvalds,[60] Richard Stallman,[61] and Ken Thompson.[62] Issues include a lack of reflection or garbage collection, slow compilation times, perceived feature creep,[63] and verbose error messages, particularly from template metaprogramming.[64]

To avoid the problems that exist in C++, and to increase productivity,[65] some people suggest alternative languages newer than C++, such as D, Go, Rust and Vala.[66]"

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>59441192
How is Rust 'Fad'
>>
>>59441203
It will be abandoned within a year. Nobody will ever be hired to write code in Rust.
>>
>>59441197
D is a big language (specially D2)
However D programs are much more readable than C or C++
>>
>>59440996
Excellent shilling. How much does Mozilla pay you per post? We might require your services.
t. Not CIA
>>
>>59441215
>It will be abandoned within a year
Can I see some source of your claim?
>>
>>59441220
>t. Not CIA
sure
>>
>>59441220
>How much does Mozilla pay you per post?
>t. (((Not))) CIA
HA!
>>
>>59441226
Fads, by their nature, are short-lived.
>>
>>59441246
How is Rust a "Fad"?
>>
>>59441170
No I mean rewriting them in rust. E.g. redox e.g. cgmath, etc.

calling C libraries is a temporary fix until Rust gets library maturity. Even when doing so you know, generally, where the fire (to use my analogy again) is coming from.

>>59441157
It doesn't completely go away because you're still able to write objectively safe code around the library.

>>59441192
A fad would be a language like Haskell which doesn't have a big internet player pushing it's use. Go also has the potential to have staying power because of Google. Though from my research Rust seems more interesting than Go, though Go does have its place in web apps.

Even then, keep in mind a language with all the markings of a fad like Haskell (and with its potential impracticalities as a highly functional language) still has (relatively) a lot of use.
>>
>>59441246
Your post quality gets me worrying about you. Any day now your boss will fire you. You should start looking for other jobs, probably as a Detective
>>
>>59441220

Hillary Clinton actually pays me through the Clinton foundation to shill for Rust as several Jewish psychologists have shown that using it slowly turns one into a black tranny who hates Donald Trump and white people, and who wants to divert all of America's funds towards Israel and muslim countries.

Hopefully you clever devils will never catch on and foil my dastardly plot. 4Chan is critical to Operation Rusty-Transbone
>>
>>59441252
>a big internet player
Mozilla is a dying company and its influence is very weak. Maybe you were thinking of a different language.
>>
>>59435153

Lin is a qt3.14. Seriously, watch this and tell me you're not in love by the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCuYPiUIONs
>>
Rust makes it easier to exploit program because retards using it believe the language is checking everything for them. Also the language is way too big compared to the amount of useful features brought (the C++ committee would be proud) and the logo looks like shit.
>>
>>59441276
>false fagging /pol/
You do realize your kind of post is not going to convince programmers, right?
>>
>>59441286
Google, Microsoft, and Apple are also dying. Looks like I can make absolutely insane statements too.
>>
>>59441203
Like every language that has tried to replace C or C++, it has failed in doing that.
The language is too different from C++ to be adopted.
>>59441252
>redox
Yeah no. That will never work.
It's never going to be used anywhere.
There are unsafes everywhere, it doesn't really guarantee shit.
>library
You will never be able to re write enough libraries to be useful.
>>
File: 1487921166812.png (339KB, 387x550px) Image search: [Google]
1487921166812.png
339KB, 387x550px
>>59441319
You''ll also notice (((them))) to hate any other language but C

I wonder why
>>
>>59441330
>it has failed in doing that.
C didn't replace FORTRAN in 2 years, my child
>>
>>59441309
My post is about as reasonable as the belief that a non-profit pays people to write posts on the technology board of an anime-inspired image board in order to convince people to use a programming language they made.
>>
File: gettyimages-508572112.jpg (27KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
gettyimages-508572112.jpg
27KB, 780x520px
>>59441343
Oh no someone spilled your beans
>>
>>59441338
C hasn't replaced FORTRAN to this century. What a shitty language
>>
>>59441343
In addition, it's also as reasonable as the belief that intelligence agencies post on the technology board of an image board to dissuade people from using a programming language developed by a non-profit as part of a larger goal to make people use a programming language in which it is more likely that you will write code that has a memory exploit.

Gotta cover both sides of the crazy here.

>>59441361
It's ok, the Clinton Foundation's check still went through so I'm good. Thank you Jewish psychologists for your extensive research into programming languages and "degeneracy".
>>
>>59441343
That's even more laughable if you guys are doing it for free.
>>
>>59441338
C didn't even replace FORTRAN.
That's a weird comparison.
>>
>>59441376
Classic CIA damage control.
When users look for privacy you call them tin foil
When users want to know about code safety you call them paranoid
When some one points out your strategy you call them "jew"

You are just getting desperate by the days, aren't you
>>
Anyone here who doesn't use C just because the langauge itself is trash?
>>
>>59441306
She's adorable :3
>>
>>59441418
Who needs safety and who needs privacy? Use winsdows 10 home and enjoy your video games.

Stop asking too much questions
>>
>>59434556
Google was shilling their language to pretend it was for systems programming (rust is actually genuinely for systems programming). Of course the gig is up now but the stigma hasn't died.
>>
P L A C E B Ô
L
À
C
E
B
O
>>
>>59441388
I'm still waiting for reasons related to the language itself as to why Rust is a bad language. It's interesting and has tangible benefits, so I believe we should use it more. I am waiting for the reasons we should not. The only reasons I've seen are reasons that would dissuade people from using LITERALLY anything but C, because those arguments basically say that no new programming language can become popular ever.

>>59441330
Maybe it will maybe it won't. I believe microkernels are the future (or at least, would be a good direction for kernels to go in, monolithic certainly could stay forever) (look in the archive at the redox thread for why, I'm the person who was pro-microkernels), and one written in Rust could, potentially, have many benefits over, say, linux, given that its software is largely compatible.

>>59441418
You've found me out. In truth I'm a double agent working for Hillary Clinton AND the CIA. In the CIA I'm part of Operation C-Rusty-Trumpbone.

(Srs for a second though it's funny because I'd actually love to join the CIA were I qualified)
>>
>>59441471
Ownership and lifetimes are not placebo.
>>
>>59435411
Ocaml sucks balls on many levels. There's a reason everyone uses modules as if they were objects. It still ends up unnecessarily verbose with crap like 1 + 1.0 -> error 1.0 .+ 1 -> error float_of_int 1 .+ 1.0 -> all good and generally having different operators for float and int ops.
On top of that it can't do parallelism at all yet and doesn't benefit from the likes of mlkit as sml does.
>>
>>59441493
>implicit casting is good
You're not qualified to speak here.
>>
>See a thread about Rust and Go
>Get insecure
>HURR DURR USE C
God I hate this place so fucking much. I wish the C tards of /g/ drink bleach and kill themselves.

Take your buffer overflow and undefined behavior and fuck off back to your circlejerk containment thread >>>/g/dpt
>>
>>59440996
"Why is it shit? If I'm fine with using "a meme" "run by feminazis" what actual disadvantages does it have to the competition?"

>SJW xD
Inane

Strawman
>>
>>59441330
>>redox
>Yeah no. That will never work.
It literally already does. Checkmate.
>>
>>59441515
So does Brainfuck.
>>
>>59441515
Written purely in Rust too, HURD BTFO
>>
>>59441507
It's generally good because it's generally explicit at the source level. At worst it should result in a warning.
>>
>>59441475
I that agree microkernels are the future.
>>
>>59441520
So you agree that both redox and brainfuck exist and work. I accept your surrender.
>>
>>59441510
This
>>
>>59441510
>Rust evangelism strike force shits every thread for weeks
>end up getting hated by most people
>somehow others are at fault
CAN'T MAKE THIS UP
Also rust does overflow and leak too.
>>
>>59434591
is this faggot seriously applying voltage to circuit boards resting on conductive foam?
>>
>>59441510
Well put.
>>
>>59441535
I merely state your argument is irrelevant.
>>
>>59441513
See:
>>59435153
>Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.

It's literally not a strawman because that's the actual argument against it.
>>
>everyone arguing rust VS C now.

Hypothetical:

Would you rather your life support to be running-
A : C
B : Rust
C: Don't fucking care just pull the fucking plug already.
>>
>>59441538
>Rust evangelism strike force shits every thread for weeks
Have you seen the fucking OP you fat autist? It's litrally a Rust and Go thread and obviously people will talk about it here. Just get the hell out of here and don't come back. Thread was actually going well untill C tard force joined in.
>>
>>59441556
C since it's actually formalised and provable. Not like the pro-Rust evangelism squad understands anything about safety.
>>
>>59441556
Rust. Anyone who picks C is suicidal.
>>
>>59441556
Rust, I wouldn't use C for a power plant
>>
>>59441556
Rust obviously. It has more data safety
>>
>>59441520
What problem does brainfuck solve?

Redox solves a problem: No microkernel based operating systems exist for general purpose computing (aimed at desktops and servers), also it happens to be made in Rust which, since it was written from the ground up, which is just an added bonus. (Also yes to be fair Redox is barely "usable" at this point but at the pace they've been going and the people working on it, it will reach viability VERY soon compared to other os projects.)
>>
>>59441556
>use C for critical system
>oh no, buffer over flow enjoy your undefined behavior
>undefined amount of tranquilizer injected onto patient
>"It was a system error"
How about no?
>>
File: 1479645601240.png (189KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1479645601240.png
189KB, 1280x1122px
>C tards ITT
>>
File: 1465870897166.jpg (123KB, 492x475px) Image search: [Google]
1465870897166.jpg
123KB, 492x475px
>>59441590
>>oh no, buffer over flow enjoy your undefined behavior
>>undefined amount of tranquilizer injected onto patient
legit kek
>>
>>59441569
Learn to read you fucking mong. Also GR2.
>>
>>59441590
>undefined amount of tranquilizer injected onto patient
THIS
>>
>>59441515
Do anything on it except run it in QEMU.
Checkm8
>>
>>59441603
See this >>59441594 and quickly fuck off
>>
>>59441590
I am one of the people writing defenses of rust in this thread and even I'll say we need to drop this absurd idea that all C code causes undefined behavior and errors. If you write a big program in C and a big program in Rust, yeah maybe you won't have memory exploits in Rust but that's what debugging is for. You don't just write it once and ship it, testing code exists.
>>
>>59441610
I opened the calculator and tried 3+3 and it worked. Checkmate.
>>
File: 1488869296301.png (228KB, 3316x1896px) Image search: [Google]
1488869296301.png
228KB, 3316x1896px
>>59441590
>>
>>59441615
Not an argument.
>>
Why don't C tards realize they are not welcome ITT?
>>
>>59441621
There are 0 memory-related bugs in rust. There are non-0 memory-related bugs in every single one of the most tested non-trivial C programs. It's not rocket science. For a pacemaker, you'd have, by definition, to be suicidal if you prefer a solution in C rather than Rust.
>>
>>59441635
Just give up man, the 1337 rapidc0der C hackers never make bugs
>>
File: ha3.png (68KB, 159x280px) Image search: [Google]
ha3.png
68KB, 159x280px
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for being the final straw that convinced me to give rust a chance one year ago; more specifically, your inability to produce any meaningful argument against it.

It certainly has it's issues (an incomplete stdlib, imbeciles for maintainers, and unauthenticated packages are the most prominent). However, the productivity gains alone made the switch worth it. What other language lets you write code that is fast, usually correct once compiled, and is a drop in replacement for c code?

So again, thanks!
>>
File: alu1bEp.jpg (86KB, 1688x2000px) Image search: [Google]
alu1bEp.jpg
86KB, 1688x2000px
>>59441556
C
>>
>>59441629
Undefined amount of medicine because of C's undefined behavior
>>
>>59441635
>There are 0 memory-related bugs in rust
Rustards actually believe this.
>>
Are CISCO, CIA, Google still shilling C itt?
>>
>>59441633
I am honestly fine with C lovers in these threads. There just needs to be actual discussion and not baseless bullshit. Give reasons why writing code in Rust would harm performance or hinder progress.

>>59441635
That is literally untrue. Why the fuck do you think the "unsafe" parts of Rust code are called "unsafe". Stop spouting fucking bullshit and be realistic about the pros and cons of a language.
>>
>>59441657
memory bugs aren't a feature like in C
>>
>>59441658
There are like 4 C shills ITT and they know this thread is clearly not about C
>>
FUCKING C SHILLS GTFO. NOW.
>>
>>59441648
You forgot to use a new IP
>>
>>59441658
Operation C-Rusty Trumpbone is still a go, yes. Thank you CIA for paying me to sit at home and post on an image-board.

Oh I forgot, uh, you must be one of (((them))) uh, you SJW you.
>>
>Muh safe space
Do Rustoddlers even realize how childish they sound?
>>
>>59441685
>Muh safe space
Do C toddlers even realize how childish they sound?
>>
Can't have a good discussion without C tards shitting up threads.
>>
I know it's still in alpha, but Garry is working hard and I think it's pretty fun.
>>
>>59441689
C-ool people accept everyone in their threads, even as imperfect as Rustoddlers.
>>
>>59441556
Honestly, C. but not because I think it's a better language, but because the C language and associated tooling are better understood and battle tested. C has multiple implementations so the spec is pretty fleshed out.

Rust on the other hand..

I'd use rust for less critical use-cases though.
>>
>>59441683
Thanks for the confirmation and not taking it personally
>>
>>59441692
Isn't it a counter to rust shitposters who can't stop shitting up every other thread?
>>
>>59441685
"Stop making non-arguments for literally no reason and engage in discussion"
"Wow he wants me to not be retarded? lol safe-space needing toddler."

conversely

"Stop blindly adhering to a new language by posting objective falsities about its capability"
"I see you Mr. CIA, god James Clapper you post here so often and it's so obvious!"
>>
>>59441709
This thread is about Rust and Go
>>
>>59441730
Exactly
>>
I love these threads. Whenever you want to talk about any language other than 'c', it's fanboys become so butthurt they have to shitpost their way into a thread.

On the topic of 'c', I can't describe how much I hate 'c'. It's a language that is a total disservice to intelligent programmers
>>
>>59441680
I'm not whoever you think I am you shit. This was my first post in this thread.

If you're made insecure enough to accuse random people of samefagging, perhaps you should broaden your skillset.

Faggot.
>>
>>59441750
In continuation, there remains zero (ZERO) reasons to use 'c' in this current century anymore. If you want an old and popular language you should use C++.
'c' is unproductive, void of memory and data safety and still the mother of all security exploits in the modern time.
>>
'c' has almost 0 features that a modern and intelligent programmer uses to be productive. Since c is such a timesink, it's popularity is falling more than any other languages in the market.
c is dying and it should die ASAP. c programmers are actually retards in general. c is a small language to grasp, exactly the kind of shit that makes things retard friendly.
C has no advanced features like C++ does.

But as a newfag you are kinda in the right direction. C is for newbies. Think of it this way:
During ancient times, counting to 10 was a big deal and a person who could count to 10 was considered to be "wise".

Fast forward a few century counting to 10 is so trivial we teach this to toddlers. Now toddlers appreciate the vast "knowledge" of counting to 10 while matured brains are busy with modern technologies.

C is from stone age and the people who still preach it is like overgrown toddlers that can't learn advanced things.
C doesn't have delegates
C doesn't have resizable arrays
C doesn't have strings
C doesn't have string concatenation
C doesn't have namespaces
C doesn't have exception handling
C doesn't have closures in the standard
C doesn't have unit tests
C doesn't have Function overloading
C doesn't have memory safety of any kind
C doesn't prevent memory exploits and has no bounds and runtime checks
C doesn't have dynamic method loading/creatin
C doesn't even have generics and templates
C doesn't have meta programming
C doesn't have mixins
C doesn't have higher order functions
C doesn't have contract programming
C doesn't have inner classes
C doesn't have function literals
C doesn't have array slicing
C has a very limited support for implicit parallelism
C doesn't even have string switches

C is a cancer that plagues the modern industry. If you want guaranteed memory exploits and security vulnerabilities in your program with timesink development period then use Assembly, not C.

Refute this if you think you can.
>>
>>59441790
Speed.
Embedded systems.
Something with a library only available in C.
>>
>>59441801
>Speed.
ASM
>Embedded systems.
C++, Rust, VHDL (and other HDLs), ASM
>Something with a library only available in C.
C++ can call C libraries with 0 problem

C++ is evrything C and more
>>
Can you write a compiler which doesn't use I/O in Rust?
>>
>>59441801
I can't describe when I see young kids that try to "defend" 'c'. It makes me puke (which I did a few times). The disgust makes my body shiver whenever I see your so called "quality" 'c' code.

I learnt 'c' when you were in your womb and I can't take thsoe vomit inducing language any more.
>>
>'c' purists
The most laughable creatures on earth. Linus writes disgusting *insecure* 'c' code *intenionally*. People who worship Linus probably have never seen OpenBSD codebase
>>
>>59441824
>asm
C is portable and easier to write.
>Embedded systems answer
Speed and memory footprint make it more viable than Rust and C++ (compare memory usage and speed benchmarks on that benchmarking site that everyone uses). C is easier to write than ASM.
>C++ libraries
Yeah that's a fair answer for C++ but see previous problems.

>>59441849
There's a tool for every job. Rust may in time be completely viable over C in all use cases (it will probably never overtake it just because of history), but for now there are reasons to use many different programming languages. You'd probably be better off not using C++ for web-apps, for example.
>>
>>59441889
>that benchmarking site
Professional C and OCaml shill here. The benchmark game is irrelevant.
>>
>>59441869
He let dirty cow slip for one decade *and he knew about it ALL ALONG*.

Code security was never a concern for Linus. And whenever Theo approached him he called Theo "problematic" and try to hide behind the popularity given by Google.

'c' is everything wrong with the current software industry. The hardware optimizations are meaningless unless you get rid of 'c'

Heck, even Go has better concurrency than the cancer called 'c'. Go's multi threading is eons ahead of 'c' and rightfully so.

When UNIX was created the concept of multi core processor with 16GiB RAM was a fairy tale, let alone security.

>>59441889
>'c' is easier to write
Being "easy" to write is NONE of 'c's virtue. I can guarantee that many of c's code snippet is more verbose than ASM
>portable
Portable software are for kids that can't write software. And it's coming from (((Linus)))
>There's a tool for every job
'c' has no job in this centry. If you want performance that much write ASM, Linus did it before GCC was available to him. What's the problem with you?

In reality you have ZERO - Z E R O reason to use c over C++, and I want you to give up programming RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>59441510
you mean /r/programmingcirclejerk/
>>
>>59441930
More interestingly, 'c' kiddies like to use inline assembly whenever they run out of ideas on how to write this in 'c'

How laughable
>>
>>59441930
Security doesn't concern C programmers because they know it's hard for them to implement security checks. Linus avoids security because he knows it will make him suffer for being a C purist.
>>
Rust has a vocal "evangelism team" which is the only reason why people get tricked into using this clusterfuck of a language.
>>
NOW WHERE THE FUCK did those 'c' kiddies run off to?

Get me one now. Face to face, I like teaching kids a thing or two
>>
>>59441971
Come at me you little kid, let me tell you what an utter piece of cringe inducing trash your 'c' still is.
>>
It feels like an insult whenever I write a pice of c code. It's made for little primitive brains that are unable to learn more than 10-10 topics on one thing.

'c' kiddies like to call it "simplicity"
HAHAHAHAAHA
>>
>>59441981
I actually stopped coding and moved into management years ago.
>>
Rust offers false safety promises only brainlets get tricked by.
t. Coq master race
>>
>>59441801
yeah youd have to be a literal retard to not do embedded systems in either c or c++
>>
>>59442014
Why the FUCK would I be retarded to use C++ instead of 'c'? Do you think I am a monkey?
>>
Fucking hate 'c' and absolute LOATH 'c' kiddies that think they know programming
>>
>>59442021
>the reading comprehension of a 12 y/o
Will Rustoddlers ever stop btfoing themselves and show the world how stupid they are?
>>
Ignore 'c' poster, he is a c shill attempting a false flag
>>
>>59441663
>harm performance
It's slower. Unless your C code is for some reason 10x more complicated and bloated than it needs to be, Rust will always be slower.
>hinder progress
I don't disagree that Rust should replace C++, but it's going to replace C, sorry. It just won't.
The features of Rust make it safer, yes, but they also make it worse for everything C is good at, like kernels, embedded software, and device drivers.
>>
>>59442042
Ignore me?

YOU ARE JUST IN DENIAL YOU LITTLE 'c' SHIT. Come back when you learned how to use Generics.

DO you know what generics mean? I bet you don't
HERE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_programming

Enjoy writing redundant codes like a MONKEY
>>
>>59441800
'c' doesn't have ANYTHING for mature programmers
>>
>>59442065
rustfag mad because his language can't even compete with C. Holy shit rust must suck.
>>
>>59442087
Lmalol Rustoddler BTFO!!!!!
>>
>>59435223
Go was literally designed specifically to replace google C++ code. Whether it does that or not is debatable but you're a fucking retard if you think go was designed to be a Java competitor
>>
>>59442087
Gotta love a language SO shit that doesn't have concept like meta programming and function overloading.

No wonder primitive little brain of a toddler is fond of 'c'?
How is that C++ based compiler coming along? Enjoying those compiler specific anonymous function syntax BECAUSE STANDARD C TODDLERS DO NOT KNOW WHAT LAMBDAS ARE?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>59442087
C is from stone age and the people who still preach it is like overgrown toddlers that can't learn advanced things.
C doesn't have delegates
C doesn't have resizable arrays
C doesn't have strings
C doesn't have string concatenation
C doesn't have namespaces
C doesn't have exception handling
C doesn't have closures in the standard
C doesn't have unit tests
C doesn't have Function overloading
C doesn't have memory safety of any kind
C doesn't prevent memory exploits and has no bounds and runtime checks
C doesn't have dynamic method loading/creatin
C doesn't even have generics and templates
C doesn't have meta programming
C doesn't have mixins
C doesn't have higher order functions
C doesn't have contract programming
C doesn't have inner classes
C doesn't have function literals
C doesn't have array slicing
C has a very limited support for implicit parallelism
C doesn't even have string switches

B T F O
T
F
O

How will c.ucks ever recover
>>
File: 1384651310271.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1384651310271.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
>>59442056
what about C's aliasing issues? Sure you could specify function parameters to be the unique reference, but no one does it. The register loads add up eventually.

It's one area were I see rust taking the lead.
>>
>>59442112
'c' is pretty much a toddler toy "programming language" for 4 year olds
>>
'c' is the reason why Linux is THE most vulnerable kernel of 2017
>>
>>59442112
Rust doesn't have any use.

LOOOOOOL IT'S OVER HOW WILL RUSTARDS EVER RECOVER MOZILLA SHILLS
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>59442138
Rust has traits.
More importantly how would an average C tard know? They don't know what these mean anyway

Common sence
>>
>>59442138
Was that some sort of an EXCUSE? I'm not the 'c' PURIST here you fucking trash on the street.
>>
>>59442146
Rust has closures. I can't count how many times I wished I had those when I used to write c code.
>>
>>59442146
'c' corrodes your brain, it limits your skills to that of a primitive code monkey. 'c' MASSIVE lack of functionality is what makes 'c' SHITE.

And I cringe everyt ime I see 'underage c' PURIST fanboys
>>
>Rust, "Fearless concerency" without async io

lol, meme-tier shit
>>
Rust is everything C++ should have been, 'c' should have never existed in the first place. 'c' is an awkward spot between ASM's performance and C++'s functionality.

'c' is JUST AS placebo as brainfuck.
>>
>>59442204
>'c' has async
Oh boy
>>
>>59442204
>Go is better in this regard, kys
>>
>>59442204
ROFL it keeps getting better! Even OCaml has async!
>>
>Concurrent programming in 'c' in general
VOMIT
>>
>>59442245
C doesn't have async
>>
>>59442245
I have one question.

How will Rustoddlers ever recover?
>>
>>59442245
>>59442204
Good luck finding a portable O(1) asynchronous socket selection API. There's none (select() and poll() have O(n) behaviour
>>
>>59442214
>>59442219

> damage control this hard

For a language that claims concurrency as one of its primary selling points, the lack of non-blocking api is a fatal flaw.

Rust fags should fix their shit before flinging it in everyone's faces.
>>
>>59442264
By actually having better concurrent programming and async 'c' trash ever had
>>
>>59442275
use std::thread;

fn main() {
let handle = thread::spawn(|| {
"U mad?"
});

println!("{}", handle.join().unwrap());
}
>>
Rust even has shared safe mutable state
>>
>>59442275
Does C have channels
>>
>>59442315
C doesn't even have strings
>>
>>59442297
HOW THE FUCK IS SPAWNING A THREAD FOR EACH OP EVEN SUGGESTIBLE, YOU FUCKING SACK OF SHIT.

FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WORKAROUNDS MEME-SHIT LANGUAGE
>>
>>59442332
>this makes a C tard MAD
use std::sync::{Arc, Mutex};
use std::sync::mpsc;

fn main() {
let data = Arc::new(Mutex::new(0));

// `tx` is the "transmitter" or "sender".
// `rx` is the "receiver".
let (tx, rx) = mpsc::channel();

for _ in 0..10 {
let (data, tx) = (data.clone(), tx.clone());

thread::spawn(move || {
let mut data = data.lock().unwrap();
*data += 1;

tx.send(()).unwrap();
});
}

for _ in 0..10 {
rx.recv().unwrap();
}
}
>>
>>59442340
>>59442297
C tards BTFO
>>
>>59442275
>non blocking
>what's blocking anything?
use std::sync::mpsc;

fn main() {
let (tx, rx) = mpsc::channel();

for i in 0..10 {
let tx = tx.clone();

thread::spawn(move || {
let answer = i * i;

tx.send(answer).unwrap();
});
}

for _ in 0..10 {
println!("{}", rx.recv().unwrap());
}
}
>>
>>59442340
> inironically suggests channels as substitute for non-blocking io

This is why no one takes rust seriosly. Any time someone asks for a useful feature, a workaround gets thrown back in their faces.

Like I said, fix your shit first, then beg people to use it.
>>
>>59442397
What's wrong with Channels again?
>>
Can Rust do channels with no IO?
>>
>>59442413
C can because it doesn't have channels
>>
>>59442411
Nothing. Channels and non-blocking io address two different use-cases.

A thread blocked on an external call will not be responsive to anything you send it until it returns. Non-blocking io would sidestep the issue entirely.

Of course, that's not mentioning SPAWNING A FUCKING THREAD FOR EACH FUCKING BLOCKING TASK.

At that point, I might as well use python.
>>
>>59442472
What's wrong with spawning a thread again?
>>
>>59442486
I'm beginning to suspect that you're literally retarded. Then again, you like rust. I don't know why I even bothered. Have fun with your impractical, safe language.
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.