[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 36

File: tantrums.webm (368KB, 499x236px) Image search: [Google]
tantrums.webm
368KB, 499x236px
Previous thread: >>59209008
>>
>>59226186
is v-moda good?
>>
File: ryan n' mike - a family picture.png (586KB, 489x489px) Image search: [Google]
ryan n' mike - a family picture.png
586KB, 489x489px
I wanna learn R and Python from scratch. Where should I start? I don't have much trouble understanding the work of functions and different syntaxes, but I'm completely clueless as to R and semi-clueless as to Python.

Another, less important question - what's so hard about fizzbuzz? It feels like it's somethng you can do after 30 minutes of learning to anykey in any modern programming language. Is fizzbuzz being hard a meme or is there some sort of complicated optimization subtext I'm not aware of because I'm a normie?
>>
>>59226308
Clueless, as in I haven't started learning them yet. Not as in I can't understand what's going on.

Not -that- stupid.
>>
>>59226186
>>59225504
Pretty sure it qualifies as a stupid question, but this is the second thread I make and no solution works.
>>
im using mkvtoolnix to remove the jpn audio tracks from a series, once i add all the files and enter the settings, starting the job will cause the files to be processed and saved as one file (for example, episodes 1-8 are all saved as a single file titled "episode 1.mkv" with a size of 4.3GB, each file is no larger than 500mb).

how do i stop this? ive got 51 episodes i want to batch process, can any other software can do this job?
>>
>>59226367
Launch it and the application you're trying to record in admin mode. It's dumb as fuck but it fixes 95% of these problems.

Also, what are you trying to capture?
>>
>>59226397
Already tried the admin thing. Didnt change anything.
I'm trying to record Devpro. A ygo Simulator.
>>
File: whoahman.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
whoahman.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Is there any operating system that gives allows direct access to memory and hardware like dos and c64 and templeos that is availbe for ARM? I want that on my rasbpi.
>>
What does it mean when a website doesn't return anything? Not even an error, the tab will load for like 1 or 2 minutes and then nothing changes, I'm still in the same page I was before. What's going on?
>>
What should I look for in a motherboard besides number of PCI slots, USB ports, fan connections, etc.

As I am looking right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a 100 and 300$ mobo beside one having RGB lights and buzz words.
>>
>get 7700K
>hits 75-80 degrees while gaming
>turn hyper-threading off
>never goes above 60-65degrees

Leave it off or buy a better cooler?
>>
>>59226367
bumpan.
>>
>>59226854
What cooler are you using? They both seem rather high for just gaming.

But I don't know 100%, i haven't had a chance at the newest chips yet.
>>
>>59226907

Cryorig H7

I've read about the newi7s getting pretty hot under load.

I was thinking of getting a Corsair H105 liquid cooler.
>>
/g/, I'm looking for a way to force registry changes to take effect without needing a restart.

Specifically, I'm making changes under HKLM/System/Control/Security Providers/SCHANNEL and having to reboot every time I want to test a change I've made is kind of a pain.

But I noticed that one of the servers I made a change on, the change took effect without rebooting a few hours after it had been made. So I'm assuming there's some service that runs every so often to look for changes, and I just need to find that and run it manually.

This was on a machine running Windows Server 2008 R2, but I'm also working on applying this fix to 2008 Standard.
>>
>>59226929
I just read that too. Maybe it got loose? I'd check the connection between the cooler and CPU.

Then just turn off hyperthreading if it worries you. Games don't use more than 4 cores, unless there are some out there that do.
>>
>>59226967
are you trying to affect IIS?
IIS is a service, you can go into services.msc and restart it from there, or run "iisreset /restart" from command prompt
>>
>>59226971

I think the H7 is just a little underpowered for an i7.

You really need a higher end cooler more than $50. I won't bother buying a new cooler until I actually feel the need for HT now that I think about it.
>>
>about to buy my first tablet
>basically going to use it for comfy Youtube watching and .pdf reading

Looking at the Lenovo TAB2 10.1" due to the size and lower price. It's much cheaper for 1GB RAM, but is that still enough to smoothly watch Youtube on these things?
>>
>>59226186
Cant you just disable extra cores/threads in Ryzen to make it faster?
>>
>>59227050
Yes.
>>
>>59227045
If you plan to do any sort of text entry, a convertible is going to be way better. I've owned a few tablets before, and they're annoying because you have to hold them up while watching video and typing on them is worse than on a phone because you have to hunt and peck instead of using your thumbs. With a convertible or a cheap netbook, text entry is WAY better and watching videos and stuff is more convenient because you don't have to hold the device to get it to stand up.
>>
>>59227093
I don't plan on using it for that, I'll just use my laptop/desktop for work.

That's a fair point about holding it, I'll look into a stand or something for it. Any recommendations for convertible tablets though?
>>
>>59227012
Yes, this might be just what I needed. Thank you!

Looking at wikipedia it seems like it does control things like SSL/TLS. I'm assuming restarting IIS will lead to a brief loss in connection to the server, but it will still be a hell of a lot faster than restarting the whole thing.
>>
Is my gt 730 bottlenecking my i5 6400?
>>
>>59227160
are you sure you're qualified to be touching this web server?
>>
Is there anywhere I can look at a list of accounts/passwords from that Yahoo hack last year?

My childhood retard self put joke security questions in and in the process of ageing I forgot the password.
>>
>>59227189
Oh, I already know I'm not. And I've mentioned that a couple times to people above me.

But I've been put in kind of a shitty position where I'm the only one who's going to work on it. So I've gotta figure it out as I go along one way or another.

It's that, or quit, or let a deadline pass... and honestly, I suspect if I quit, they'll just ignore it until they're in hot water over it.
>>
>>59227240
good luck then
i've been put in a moved to a strange position in a previous job as well
>>
>>59227179
pls help this is legit stupid question
>>
Why would I bother using pointers and polymorphism when I need to store the instances somehow anyway in order to reference them?

Making a game as part of an assignment, with tiles. I was planning on making each tile class a child of the base Tile class. the problem, is that when I was trying to iterate through and render them they were sliced. Why bother going balls deep in storage just to polymorph when it's easier to cut it out (in this sitch I guess)
>>
As far as I can tell my sata controller is failing.

Three of the six ports either don't detect drives or they disappear from the system shortly after booting.

How do I fix/replace it?
Or is it new motherboard time.
>>
you could probably fix and find parts for that but it would be a hassle
if your board isnt a super high end thing id just replace it.
>>
>>59227270
yeah, get at least a 1050ti
>>
Is there a decent laptop for programming with no camera/microphone?
>>
>>59227981
You could always remove the camera/microphone.
>>
File: explorer_2017-03-03_21-43-22.png (113KB, 1078x598px) Image search: [Google]
explorer_2017-03-03_21-43-22.png
113KB, 1078x598px
My computer seems to be only using half of my RAM, despite it detecting the full 8GB. My motherboard is an Asus M5A97 R2.0, and in the bios it's only detecting the same amount of RAM, despite detecting both RAM sticks. I can see that Windows says that 4.1GB is hardware reserved, so how can I fix that?
>>
>>59227981
put a bandaid over camera, disable microphone in device manager or whatever the fucking shit linux has for hardware management, or remove it
>>
Have apple stopped signing ios 9.3.4 for iphone 4s?
I have a jailbroken 4s on 9.0.2 and the phone has started bugging out. Anyway to upgrade from 9.0.2 to 9.3.4?
>>
Is this the website people here have been posting? There were many impostors in my search
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
>>59228058
What's your mobo. Also 64 or 32 bit?
>>
>>59228297
64 bit, and an Asus M5A97 R2.0
>>
>>59227981
if you run Linux compile your kernel to have no support for either device
>>
File: 1480740485653.png (30KB, 747x491px) Image search: [Google]
1480740485653.png
30KB, 747x491px
Is there a good estimate as to when more am4 motherboards will become in stock? I finally made the choice to buy ryzen and all of the boards in my budget went out of stock
>>
File: 1488124101982.jpg (39KB, 380x450px) Image search: [Google]
1488124101982.jpg
39KB, 380x450px
semi tech question here

What are some good LED light bulbs to get that don't cost a ton? I want less heat and to save monies from them.
>>
>>59228302
Try putting your RAM in dual channel. Should be color coded, put the two in the same colored slots.
>>
>>59228350
That's what I've done, and I've tried both colours. Same result.
>>
>>59227798
the only solution i can think of is re flowing your mother board as a last ditch effort but i recommend buying a new one. you could always buy something that lets you connect it via usb
>>
File: topbar.png (79KB, 1280x56px) Image search: [Google]
topbar.png
79KB, 1280x56px
How do I make the text in "files" bold? I can't insert <b></b> HTML tags into the name when I go to edit it (I could with the others).
>>
What kind of job/salary can I expect with 4 years experience being Network admin/engineer in the military and a CCNA and Security+ certification?
>>
is there a way to debloat an s7? ive looked into it a bit, but im too cheap to pay for the package uninstaller or w/e that is recommended a lot, and everything else i see is a script or something that disables 3/4 of the stock software and apps. im only looking to remove some stuff i dont use, like weather, instagram, etc. is there a way/app that will let me select certain things to remove without rooting?
>>
>>59228391
just root it, it is not difficult and their are plenty of tutorials
>>
>>59228347
They pretty much inherently cost significantly more than CFLs for ordinary houselamp brightness levels. They use less energy, but not enough less to pay off the cost difference.

Unless you plan on installing them somewhere where changing bulbs is a royal pain in the ass (and therefore want LEDs enormous durability), you should just stick with CFLs.
>>
suppose I want to safely access my e-mail, the best option to do it is through a live usb GNU/Linux distro like Qubes or could I just open VirtualBox and use my GNU/Linux virtual machine? considering I'm using Windows, I don't really know if it's safe to use the VirtualBox
>>
Can you SLI a 1080 and a 1070?
>>
>>59228474
I don't think Nvidia lets you.
>>
>>59228445
I mean mainly in my bedroom and daughters. The rest I don't care. I just want less heat from each lamp
>>
>>59228360
Honestly no idea, same result in linux?
>>
>>59228474
Yes, but even nvidia said it was a bad idea to do it
>>
>>59228451
Well if you don't trust the host operating system, you can't trust any VMs running on that host. The host or hypervisor has absolute control over everything a VM does. It can suspend the thing at arbitrary points and dump or modify its entire memory space.

But thinking about this at all is getting a bit ahead of yourself. You need to be more specific about your threat model. What are you trying to defend against? Malware? Ad tracking and telemetry? Government dragnet surveillance? Government targeted surveillance? Who's your provider? Do you trust them? How are you securing the network link in between you and them? Just TLS? A VPN? (from who?) Tor?

>>59228391
Why not just flash a custom ROM?

>>59227798
New mobo time.

>>59228492
Well CFLs don't emit a lot of heat either. It's incandescents and halogens that emit a lot of heat. In any case the amount of heat a bulb will emit is equal to its actual power draw. Since every watt that goes in either winds up as heat, or it winds up as light which gets absorbed by what it shines on, causing them to emit the energy as heat.
>>
>>59226186
is there ever an instance when it is actually useful to allow assignment operators inside an if statement? couldn't you just tell the compiler to flag something that looks like this?
if (x = 23){ 
>>
Recommendations for aluminum/portable mousepad? Would be using it with a laptop for 3D modeling.
>>
>>59228445
>They use less energy, but not enough less to pay off the cost difference.
They pay off the cost difference through longevity not power consumption. You are right that it is a bit of an investment now for something that would only be rewarding over almost a decade of use.

>>59228347
They are only like $10 here. Where do you live?
If you lack morals you can just grab some at the supermarket and go through the self-serve checkout without scanning them.
>>
>>59228561
if(data = returnsDataorFalse()){}
//Bootleg forloop/counter?
int i = 5;
while(i=i-1){}

I'm sure there's an obvious reason I'm missing.
>>
>>59228533
>custom ROM?
because i havent done anything like that in a few years, last time i did it was when the s2 or s3 came out and i got it. ive tried looking into it a few times but xda has shitloads of stuff and i just get lost trying to figure out where to start so i dont end up using files that arent meant for my specific device
>>
>>59228606
Oh, I just saw some that were expensive on newegg and such.. But yeah I am sure cheaper at stores. I'll look at prices. Just seemed like some were double the price of normal LED's but perhaps just a jew hike like best buy etc
>>
How to install ungoogled-chromium on openSUSE?
>>
Why can't CPU and GPU reviewers compare the new hardware with past generation hardware as well as current gen competition? If I'm looking at Ryzen benchmarks I want to see comparisons not only against Kaby and Skylake, but Haswell as well. It would at least give the majority of people right now a good baseline for comparison. Nobody with a Kaby or Skylake CPU is going to upgrade. It's going to be people with the 4690k CPUs and the 3570k CPUs.
>>
>>59228533
first, thank you for answering

I actually just want to make it a good habit so I can fortify my privacy, in a sense I'd say that would be defending against telemetry, keyloggers and ad tracking yeah

I'm neutral about my provider, I don't trust them but I think I don't care this much anyway; that's why I'm not "securing my network link between me and them"
>>
>>59228653
That's pretty much the reason. Like this idiom is pretty common:
while (x = get_next_thing()) {
do_something(x->data);
}

Then get_next_thing() can just cough up a null pointer when there are no more things to get.

K&R does this. Here's the minimal strcpy implementation they give:
void strcpy(char *s, char *t) {
while (*s++ = *t++)
;
}
>>
>>59228704
I just checked the prices of a local supermarket. CFLs are $5 per bulb and LED are ~$7 per bulb.
Considering LEDs last about 3 times as long as CFLs there does not seem to be any good reason for sticking with CFLs.

Personally I still have a couple lights using halogen bulbs just because I could not find any LED/CFL that were dimmer compatible.
I also keep a halogen in a desklamp I use at my work space, I like to imagine the extra heat from the light dries my glues quicker and stops solder from hardening too quickly.
>>
From what I read, moore's law say that computing power doubles every 18 months. If this is the case why do we still have processors at 3-4ghz when they same speeds existed years ago.
>>
>>59228805
yeah true. price is no issue. also I just read about halogen bulbs leaking mercury and such.I just moved into a new place so thought of just getting new ones and such
>>
>>59228505
Yup, just reinstalled Windows to see if that might help, still the same error.
>>
>>59228852
The LEDs you saw on newegg might have been fancy ones like philips hue. I cannot think of any other reason for them costing so much.
>>
>>59228386
BUMP
>>
File: 1456961535603.gif (817KB, 200x233px) Image search: [Google]
1456961535603.gif
817KB, 200x233px
>>59226186
For uni I'll be taking an intro to database course. I've talked to the professor to see if I could get a better grasp on what we will be covering. He said its not going to focus on one thing like MySQL but instead focusing on the fundamentals of how databases work and how to manipulate them.

My question is what can I do to prepare myself for this course? Does anyone have any experience working with databases that could give a beginner a tip? Obviously I'm doing some research on it myself but someone like a dba's input would be really helpful.
>>
>>59228725
as far as I know no distro packages chromium with the ungoogled patch set, so you get to go compile it yourself. The inconvenience of doing this is one major reason I put up with Firefox, where at least I can turn off the botnet my just maintaining a user.js file.

>>59228753
Well it certainly wouldn't hurt to get in the habit of doing your browsing in a VM. Although the host pwns the VM, the reverse isn't true, so if something bad happens in the VM, it stays there, and you can just build a new one or revert to a snapshot. (Yeah yeah, there's VM escapes, but those are rare and very very difficult to us)

Privacy settings are mostly about your browser. Ghacks has a privacy guide for Firefox. Chromium yaks to Google and there's nothing you can do about it other than compiling it yourself, see above. Use addons like uBlock Origin and uMatrix. You can go a lot farther if you want.

Remember also that your mail provider can always read your mail, unless you encrypt it yourself locally, with PGP or GPG or the like. The hardest part of using those is persuading your correspondents to use them.

>>59228830
Moore's Law died ten years ago, that's why. Well, it didn't in the sense that we keep getting more transistors, but we ran into a clock speed and thermal wall, so now the only way to use them is moar coars. And software is still poorly parallelized because concurrency is hard.

Enjoy not having to upgrade every year or two.

>>59228852
The amount of mercury in halogen bulbs isn't enough to poison you. Assuming you aren't in the habit of breaking bulbs by the dozen and then huffing their contents.

>>59228907
I'm not a pro but there really is a book called the Manga Guide to Databases, so if you have any weeb in you at all, go get a copy of that.
>>
Does anyone have this shit happen or has had it happen before?
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

or
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 23979 requests (23976 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

A few programs like gitk, Thunderbird, and Quiterss are pretty reliable in getting these errors.
>>
>>59228913
>one major reason I put up with Firefox
Then I'll do the same, thanks.
>>
>>59228907
>intro to database
You'll spend a week or two covering the general principle: spreadsheets and accessing/editing methods

Then you'll have increasingly dense labs and shit that ask you to do more things. The first might have you make a short database and pull out values, soon after you might sort the database, then process the database based on some thing (i.e. moving people who have element X=foo to database Y)

It's going to be like any other course, presumably
>>
I'm dualbooting windows 7 and Manjaro.

Is there a way to somehow make a virtualbox/virtualmachine that runs the Manjaro install?

I just often find myself needing to go from one to the other for a short while and rebooting just interrupts the workflow. I don't want to have an actual virtual machine because the performance stinks and I do profiling too often in either OS to ignore that on one of them.
>>
>>59226393
#!/bin/bash

mkdir "output"

for filename in ./*.mkv
do
mkvmerge -o "./output/$filename" --audio-tracks 1 "./$filename"
done
>>
File: 11112112121.jpg (19KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
11112112121.jpg
19KB, 400x200px
>>59228913
>Manga Guide to Databses
I can't believe this is real, but here we are

>>59228935
Thank you, I'm just a bit nervous for this course in particular because I've never worked with databases outside of the Excel spreadsheets I used to manage as a hotel's front office manager. My other two courses are an Enterprise Information Security and an Ethics course, both of which I feel comfortable doing.
>>
>>59228952
Optionally. Does anyone know how to make hibernate work well with both OSes? Because it just doesn't work on manjaro if I've booted windows after i hibernated manjaro.
>>
>>59228952
so you want a virtual-machine that's not really a virtual-machine?
>>
>>59228952
doesn't your CPU support VT-x passthrough?

also, you can try this:
https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
>>
do i get two questions?

i spilled beer in my main pc keyboard. it works but for certain keys i hit multiple characters in put, example 'r' types out 'br/'. is my keyboard fucked or can i clean it out and save it?

best vpn service? anything out there thats free. vpns are completely new to me
>>
>>59226854
Mine gets up to 70ish while gaming with an H50. I had the shit at stock speeds and the retarded Asus mobo was overvolting it despite disabling all the OC shit in BIOS, so I applied a -0.08 vcore offset. Runs a bit cooler, even under a FPU stress test.

I wish there was an AVX2 stress test to really bring it to its knees. Srsly do I need to pirate Visual Studio, look up the intrins and write one or something?
>>
>>59229066
If it's free don't use it. Ever.
>>
>>59229066
You should be able to clean your keyboard and it may work. I'd ballpark it at about 75% of success

ProXPN
https://secure.proxpn.com/
>>
>>59229006
I want a virtual machine that runs my copy of he OS. It's still a virtual machine in execution obviously. It'd just be a virtual machine pretending to be my actual computer.

>>59229018
I haven't looked into it. But I'm a bit concerned with actually trying to make a virtual machine perform as native when I profile my code quite a lot. And it doesn't actually make sense to try since I'm gonna have an OS run the virtul machine which I'm profiling on. Thee's no way that won't impact my application. And I can't keep the two filesystems separate (i.e. one native install of linux, one native windows and one virtualbox) because that kinda defeats the purpose a lot of the time.

If I could create a virtual machine and tell it "use this native filesystem instead of the regular fs". Without it corrupting things that'd be great.
>>
When learning networking what is the list of things that I HAVE TO get a decent rock solid understanding no matter what? and what others things dont really matter if i dont understand them more than just the basics?

im learning by myself so i dont really have a teacher or exams to check myself.
>>
>>59229066
I've given my CMStorm Trigger a bath 3 times with no issues. Comes out good as new after. I'd take it apart first though.
>>
>>59228913
once again, thank you for your time helping me
>>
>>59229095
>Thee's no way that won't impact my application.
It usually gets about 90%+ of native. Also explain what you want better.
>>
>>59229083
>>59229084
>>59229099
thanks anons
>>
>>59226186
I have a rooted samsung j7, debloated stock 6.0.1, xposed + gravitybox
Whenever I take a screenshot I get the screenshot animation followed by "SystemUI has stopped", followed by another screenshot/animation and another "SystemUI has stopped". Sometimes it happens three times. The error message I'm less concerned about because it doesn't cause any problems, but the time wasted with multiple shots resulting in multiple copies in my gallery is kind of annoying. Googling hasn't yielded any useful results, any suggestions?
>>
What's a good video editing software to be used in conjunction with OBS? Not trying to do crazy special effects or anything, just your rudimentary stuff.
I'll upgrade to something like Vegas or Premiere in the near future, but I'd like something of a learner program first.
>>
File: 1449329337298.gif (957KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
1449329337298.gif
957KB, 500x418px
This whole new shitstorm about the upcoming AMD cpus, for someone who's only into gaming with a run of the mill high end self built PC, does it even matter for people like me?

Like, I understand there will always be at least minor performance increases, but from a pure game related view, does one even need anything better than something like an i7 4790k or an AMD equivalent without getting diminishing returns?
>>
>>59229135
>90% of native
Not enough precision then unless it's absolutely linear.
>explain what you want better.
I want an OS install I can both boot natively and virtually inside another OS.

Suppose I could get another computer and just run vnc or similar. It'd be nice to not have to buy another computer though.
>>
>>59229161
The idea is that the newer, more specialized hardware (in conjunction with yet-to-be-produced software) will make budget GPUs and CPUs as effective as existing mid-to-higher end units at launch.
>>
>>59229161
Well, it matters in the sense that competition seems to have forced an Intel price cut.

Hang around for a while while we see more benchmarks come in. You're right that most (not all) games run into a GPU bottleneck before a CPU bottleneck. AMD's releasing Vega cards in a few months, see how those do.

>>59229151
I thought xposed was known for causing odd problems and shit. Tried taking that out?
>>
>>59229219
Hmm I suppose I could try disabling xposed and try taking a screenshot. If that is the cause though I'd rather have screenshots be annoying than get rid of xposed. I have a hunch it could be something with the debloat rom because I've had issues in the past with those, but this one was way more thoroughly tested it seems and haven't had any other system bugs due to the wrong thing being removed. Thanks for the lead though, will try that.
>>
>>59229177
>Not enough precision then unless it's absolutely linear.
You kinda sound like a douche. 98% would be fine in almost all situations

>I want an OS install I can both boot natively and virtually inside another OS.

Just use windows 10s hyperv. You can boot the VHD directly
>>
>>59229158
Blender
>>
>>59229258
>You kinda sound like a douche.
Because the results aren't satisfactory I'm a douche?
I don't care about the actual performance result (90% is enough). The problem is that since we have 10% less performance I have 10% of factors I know nothing about to account for. And that inaccuracy is too much for me to get meaningful profiling statistics. It's unworkable.
>windows 10s hyperv
I'm not sure you understand the issue here. I'm not the best at explaining.
>>
2 questions:

1. If I right-click a batch file (.bat) and run as administrator, can I assume that every command in that .bat is being run the same way as it would if I had typed it, into a normal elevated command prompt?

i.e, permissions granted to programs to write to protected directories.

2. How do I set the administrator password on windows 7? I tried this to launch my original bat file as admin with a second .bat:

runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator yourbatchfile.bat

which prompts me for an Admin password different from my user account (which of course has admin privileges).
>>
File: 1386541177.jpg (239KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
1386541177.jpg
239KB, 760x596px
I have Firefox with e10s enabled
The music on these websites doesn't play
https://fauux.neocities.org/Love.html

What gives? It was working before.
>>
Which linux distribution would /g/ recommend for a good live rescue disk?
>>
>>59229382
Hiren's
>>
An Information Technology Security conference is coming up in a couple of days and it's the first one I've ever been to.
So here's a couple of questions I can't seem to find answers for.

As someone who only interns as a developer, am I gonna seem out of place?
Am I gonna find alot of answers as far as educational progression and career advice?
Should I bring copies of my resume just in case?
What's the normal attire for these events?
>>
Is it worth upgrading from an i5-4690k? If I keep my motherboard, the best CPU I could get is an i7-4790k for $330, but I hear gaming performance won't be much better at all. Otherwise I would need to buy a new motherboard and RAM on top of a new CPU. That's like a $600 endeavor.
>>
>>59228048
Also remove speakers to keep them from being used as microphones.
>>
>>59229406
>As someone who only interns as a developer, am I gonna seem out of place?
If you dress well, you will blend in just fine.
>Am I gonna find alot of answers as far as educational progression and career advice?
If you ask the right questions after buddying up to the right people, you probably can, but it doesn't sound like the conference is about careers.
>Should I bring copies of my resume just in case?
If you want. Anyone there who you start a conversation with about employment is probably going to want you to email it to them instead of having a paper copy.
>What's the normal attire for these events?
There's nothing wrong with being better dressed than expected. I don't know where you live, but a tie wouldn't hurt. A trendy sweater is probably fine, but leave your hoodie at home.
>>
>>59229406

>As someone who only interns as a developer, am I gonna seem out of place?
Yes and no: ask questions to vendors you find interesting, use your experience to better understand how their solutions actually work
>Am I gonna find alot of answers as far as educational progression and career advice?
Not likely unless a speaker focuses on that (unlikely if the conference isn't focused on that) or a vendor wants to help. Be aware vendors are salespeople trying to sell a product
>Should I bring copies of my resume just in case?
Yes but don't be a sperg about it and give everyone one. Many of the presenters get fist fulls of resumes each time they speak. If you want to give someone a resume make sure you have at least initiated a conversation that will give them a good first impression of you. There are recruiters there and the good ones won't tell you that they are recruiting
>What's the normal attire for these events?
Business casual: a polo shirt, dark jeans, nice dark shoes, a watch, a good pen if you have one. If you have facial hair try to limit it to about half an inch long.

Good luck anon. I hope to be doing what you're doing soon too.
>>
>>59229303
>I'm not sure you understand the issue here. I'm not the best at explaining.
Well if you can't articulate it, I don't see how you're ever going to do it. Take another stab
>>
>>59229407
Depends entirely on why you want to upgrade.
>>
>>59229407
Give it another couple years unless you need the hyperthreading for something
>>
For a while now I've been using an eGPU setup with my Thinkpad and a desktop PSU/GPU, and now that I've got enough money, I'm building my first fully-fledged desktop PC.
So, I was wondering: is there any precautions or things I should look out for when transferring the PSU/GPU to the new setup? They both work completely fine, I'm mostly asking 'cause I'm paranoid of the PSU completely frying my system or something like that since it's been in use before.

Also, Pcpartpicker says my setup would use 302w of power, so 500w would be more than enough, right?
>>
Why are ads suddenly playing on YouTube again?

Using uMatrix btw (recently updated hosts files and restarted Firefox due to ads playing).
>>
File: 1.jpg (87KB, 740x495px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
87KB, 740x495px
What system components should I install for freebsd?
>>
>>59229403
I'm sorry for being an idiot but is there meant to be a complete iso of all the tool? I can only find septate tools downloads
>>
where do i get a really cheap win 10 key? someone posted some website selling them for 6 dollars or something last thread but i cant find it.
>>
>>59229515
What kind of repair do you need to do?
>>
>>59229516
kinguin
>>
>>59229522
Oh nothing right this second but more for any future problems so I have it on hand or so I become "the guy" to have tools to fix shit on the spot
>>
>>59229303
A VHD in native boot works the same as a normal install, it's just the drive itself is contained within the VHD file. The difference is transparent to the OS and within the normal speed variance of disk drives. All other hardware is used directly
>>
What's a good, comfy trade to learn from scratch?
>>
>>59229550
You'd probably find winPE to be useful in more situations
>>
reposting because fuck you, I will not be ignored

I recently cancelled my U-verse internet service because they wanted me to pay like 180 bucks for next bill and said fuck that and have been using my smartphone's wifi as a hotspot ever since.

While its much cheaper and I can live with the slow internet, Ive been thinking about upgrading to another plan with unlimited data. Its only 15$ more. Is it worth it? My data plan on my smart phone is also with AT&T....
>>
>>59229622
garbage collector
>>
>>59229646
it is your money so the value of the plan is solely your opinion
>>
can I do this in a single if(){} block?
  if (h.length < 2) {
h = '0' + h;
}
if (m.length < 2) {
m = '0' + m;
}
if (d.length < 2){
d = '0' + d;
}
>>
@59229677

I just want to know if there are any hidden fees to watch out for, or if there is any significant differences in speed. You clearly have no intetion of providing any real help and just want attention but I wont even give you the satisfatction
>>
>>59229686

Just throw some && in there

if (h.length < 2 && m.length < 2 ...)
>>
Building my new computer and wondering:

Should I be ordering all my parts seperately or at once?
>>
So I was downloading something to one of my partitions, which had roughly 50GB of free space left. Said item was only 33GB big, yet when I woke up this morning, it said low disk space and prevented the thing downloading any further than 50%. What exactly happened here?
>>
>>59229764
No real reason not to get them all at once. How else would you know if any/all of them are functional if you can't make a working computer?
>>
>>59229686
You might as well just make a function.
>>
>>59229779
Because I'm currently at uni until summer comes around and I figured I may as well just order the ones that have low failure rates (RAM, HDD, SSD, ect...)
>>
>>59229783
was thinking about that but cant be bothered, will leave it like it is for the time being.
>>
>>59228861
Welp, I've finally fixed it. Not sure what did, but I reseated the graphics card, used compressed air multiple times on the RAM and slots, and finally reset the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery. What a fucking headache.
>>
>>59229787
If you wait more than a few weeks in between, you run the risk of not having the manufacturer replace a DOA part
>>
I am running VM's a lot, is ryzen good for me?
>>
>>59226186
So I'm writing a simple compiler. The symbol table has scopes. Will a linked list of maps be sufficient?
>>
>>59229868
I know that, which is why I'm waiting until I can order the mobo, GPU, CPU, PSU, ect.. all in one go. I'm going to be ordering everything else in parts if that makes sense.
>>
How do I move my OS from an HDD to my SSD?
>>
>>59229889
What else is there? You going to mount it all on cardboard?
>>
>>59229909
macrium
>>
>>59229937
I have a case in mind too, prob gonna ship that seperately though.
>>
>>59226186
Hey guys I got a stupid question for ya. My dad goes to kidney treatments 3 times and week and wants a laptop. I got him a tablet but he doesn't like it and wants a laptop. Anyway to make a short story long there are a few cheapo laptops, he doesn't need anything great because he only reads e-mail basically. Which one of these is better?

- Dell Inspiron 1420 1GB 320GB Intel Pentium Dual T2310 [email protected]

- Dell Inspiron 1525 1GB 250GB Intel Celeron 550 [email protected]
>>
I have an old IDE HDD that has Windows XP installed I guess, I wanted to get some files back from this HDD.

Right, I also have an old PC that has an IDE HDD but it has a SATA HDD aswell and the OS is in the latter. My doubt is, if I take this IDE HDD and put my old IDE HDD that has Windows XP, what should I do to load Windows XP instead of the OS in the SATA HDD? Just setting the IDE to Master? Removing the SATA HDD temporarily?
>>
>>59226186
Are there any good antiviruses that don't delete cracks and keygens just because they are cracks and keygens? Fucking copyrightfag scum.
>>
>>59230023
Why bother booting XP? Boot from the SATA drive, copy whatever files you want off the old drive.
>>
File: network_icon.png (87KB, 993x531px) Image search: [Google]
network_icon.png
87KB, 993x531px
For whatever reason, my network icon in Win7 always says it's disconnected, even though it clearly isn't.

I've tried reinstalling the ethernet driver, but to no avail.

Any idea how I can remedy this issue?
>>
Is there any web browser suitable for JDownloader's browser loop that will allow it to start minimized in the background so it won't steal focus from what I'm doing? As far as I know it's impossible with Firefox or Chrome to set it up this way.

Important for me to do this since it kind of defeats the purpose of using a captcha solving service if I still have the program pull me out of whatever I was doing (especially if it was a movie or fullscreen game or something) to open and close my browser. For now I've just disabled the browser loop entirely but that causes problems with some hosts.
>>
>>59229909
dd or reinstall
>>
macfags.
how do i get rid of the double spacing? it doesnt do it on 4chan. i didnt notice it until i was on the steam forums.
>>
>>59226308
>python
Automate the boring stuff
Learn Python The Hard Way
>>
Ryzen 1700x + 1080Ti a good idea?
>>
Just installed freebsd, and it's taking FOREVER to install gcc. Is it because of all the other stuff it needs to install to make gcc work, or is it because it's in a vm?
>>
File: ehh.png (3KB, 133x99px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.png
3KB, 133x99px
This is in my router settings vaguely labeled as "Mode"

Will this fuck with anything if I simply set it to the highest possible setting? Will it slow down my wired connections or anything if I let my wifi speed up?
>>
>>59230613
bump it up to the highest and it will only improve you connection for wifi/wired
>>
>>59230633
So there's no downside to maxing it?

Just out of curiosity; Why would they even make it an option instead of making the router default to the highest?
>>
>>59230653
its a throttling mechanism and as for a reason i am not sure i think it is meant more for a business or school, some place public.
>>
>>59230653
Compatibility with old stuff that only speaks 802.11g, most likely.
>>
>>59230673
i though that had to do with band frequencies but i am probably wrong
>>
File: Three_types_of_standoffs.jpg (266KB, 1434x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Three_types_of_standoffs.jpg
266KB, 1434x1014px
Is the purpose of motherboard standoffs purely mechanical?

Or is their purpose to ground the motherboard to the case?
>>
shock absorption
>>
>>59230082
Check if dns settings and subnet are correct. Power cycle all your shit.
>>
>>59230730
Usually both.
>>
>>59230730
It's more to insulate it from the case. Higher end cases have integrated standoffs.
>>
>>59230730
>Or is their purpose to ground the motherboard to the case?
Just the opposite, actually. The purpose of standoffs is to prevent any arcing between the motherboard and any component of the case, short circuiting it. Which usually won't do serious damage, but will prevent it from turning on and staying on.
>>
Am I going to get sued for using youtube-dl?
>>
>>59230789
how would they know
>>
>>59230789
No. As far as Youtube knows you just watched the video.

If you don't like the idea of Google knowing what you watch and download then you should use it over a VPN or something.
>>
>>59230798
>>59230807
Google keeps making me enter captchas for web searches. Is it because I haven't allowed their analytics scripts? Or because I make frequent bot-like searches?
>>
>>59230838
i have never heard of this happening and i have no idea what this could mean but for your sake do not use google to search for thing use yandex or searx or startpage
>>
Regular SSD vs. M.2 (or maybe even PCIe).
Will I notice the difference in gaming?
>>
>>59230838
Who cares, go use startpage. Same search results.
>>
I bought an H115i earlier this week because the pump on my H100 had died.

Now one of the fans that came with the h115i is making some noice, probably just a shit fan.

Is there any harm using a 3-pin fan with a cpu cooler? or should i get a replacement with a 4-pin connection.
>>
>>59230838
Happens to me sometimes when I do repeated searches with a bunch of site: or inurl: parameters.
>>
How's this for a RAID-5 (software) headless NAS server build which will only be used for file storage and streaming shit using sshfs?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yHpND8

I'll be going with a U-NAS NSC-400 chassis btw. And the system drive will be on a SSD I already have.
>>
How can I convert mp4 files to mp3 files without downloading any wacky 3rd party programs?
>>
>>59231178
Many of my searches begin with "wiki"
>>
>>59231274
ffmpeg
>>
>>59231274
assuming they contain an mp3 stream;
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -map a:0 -c copy output.mp3
>>
File: FB_IMG_1487373534021.jpg (20KB, 439x413px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1487373534021.jpg
20KB, 439x413px
Quality stupid here.
Mobo requires I get a gtx video card

Currently running two 470s. Upgrading now. Which is best?

Nvidia 970 or 1070?
>>
>>59231679
1070 if you got the cash, wait a few more days for the 1080 ti if you're loaded
>>
File: what.png (268KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
268KB, 640x480px
>>59231679
>Mobo requires I get a gtx video card
wut
>>
File: IMG_20170304_073945474.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170304_073945474.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
Sup /g/. As you can see from the picture here and on the next one, my PC is powered by a third world tier plug system. So the question is: when my computer is turned off and I'm not using it, should I leave the PC plugged to the power system or not? I'm thinking it might be potentially bad for my computer either way.
>>
File: IMG_20170304_074012508.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170304_074012508.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>59232002
Second pic. The plug always stays on the wall either way because I need wifi, and the plug that is unplugged gives power to the PC.
So in the end I don't know if it would be better to keep unplugging it every now and then or just leave it there altogether, knowing the wall plug is very bad quality, I can even see sparkles when I plug the wall thing on.
Thanks a lot in advance.
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 750x1334px
I installed Cydia on my moms iPhone 6 and this software showed up also Cydia disappeared is it Chinese spyware shit?? Pls halp
>>
is it okay to put HDDs on bottom of the case without a "cage"?
>>
>>59232234
The phone is also on IOS 8.4 if that helps
>>
If I were to build a Business/Work PC (that means MS Office, Chrome/Firefox, MYOB - NO Gaming)

Would I be better off with an i7 or one of the new Ryzen CPUs?
>>
>>59232025
get a filter with a fuse, problem solved, no fear.

it can potentially switchoff your PSU for a bit, but only under load, when it's off it doesn't matter
>>
>>59232407
Why the fuck do you need a ryzen or a i7 for work? Get a i5 or a i3
>>
>>59232407
excel? excel = get ryzen
word processing can be a clusterfuck if you work with VERY big documents both would handle it the same
most accounting software should be multithreaded now it will be faster
>>
what should i do an old computer i have does not output display anymore from the native display port how can i possibly use this computer
>>
I haven't updated my windows 7 since late 2015. Is this bad?
>>
>>59232445
Because you obviously cant read. I said either an i7 or a Ryzen. I did not say an i5, i3 or Celeron.. Or an Athlon..

I7 or Ryzen for Business use.. Thats the question..

>>59232450
The amount if "work" this PC will do is capable with a Pentium. Its some spreadsheets of costs, word for writing some one or 2 page documents and doing online banking.

And before you ask, yes it has to be an i7 - but if a Ryzen has 8 cores i can make that work too.
>>
>>59232472
Buy an old used graphic card to put in there.
>>
I live in a pretty secure condo building in a safe neighborhood but the old women here noticeably flinch every time they round a corner and see all 120 pounds of me when I go to take out the trash or fetch the mail. How can I avoid startling them? Shake my keys the whole way? Get some bear bells?
>>
File: zxzxzzzzz.png (6KB, 599x33px) Image search: [Google]
zxzxzzzzz.png
6KB, 599x33px
I let my friend use my pc for 30 minutes while I went to shop some groceries and when I came back he installed freaking bloatware on it from some russian website.

One called microsoft windows and other mailru..etc, how do I get rid of these?
>>
>>59232622
Task manager
Details
Find the bloatware's process
Right click
Open file location
Back to task manager right click the process and end it
Return to the file location and delete the .exe
>>
File: 1487472143697.jpg (185KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1487472143697.jpg
185KB, 600x900px
Please teach me about Intel Optane?

>Will this replace SSD? Or will this allow laptops to have two storage volume like back when we were able to replace the CD tray by a hard drive caddy?
>Is this overpriced?
>Will it be relevant in the near future (i.e. until end of 2018)? If so, how?
>>
>>59232685
>>Will this replace SSD?

For most people, no, it's too expensive.

>>Or will this allow laptops to have two storage volume like back when we were able to replace the CD tray by a hard drive caddy?

Doesn't make a difference here, current versions use the same slot as a regular M.2 SSD.

>>Is this overpriced?

For normal users, yes. Only worth it if you really need that extra random access performance.

>>Will it be relevant in the near future (i.e. until end of 2018)? If so, how?

If they can get price down to near flash, maybe. Wouldn't bet on it.
>>
>>59230862
SATA M.2 is no faster than 2.5, it's just a smaller form factor.

PCIe drives, in M.2 or x4 form factor are much faster for benchmarks, but real world use usually don't make enough difference to be worth the price premium. Intel 600p you can almost make a case for, as it's not that much more expensive than SATA, but it's also the slowest of the PCIe drives.
>>
I'm writing a 4chan filter list to filter a specific shitposter on /a/. What's the best way to represent a line break in regex for both Windows and Unix? I'm on Loonix, so \n just werks for me, but I want to share it with others.
>>
Web Dev beginner here. Ruby or PHP for back-end?

Everywhere I read online says to learn Ruby. I'm doing Odin Project and its part of their curriculum. Every job posting I see wants PHP.
>>
Is it normal for a coding newb to have a headache, burning eyes and feel like absolute shit after the first couple of weeks of doing this stuff?

I feel like death, my brain does not want to cooperate at all today.
>>
>>59232776
Thanks
>>
File: 2017-03-04_00-09-54.jpg (4KB, 303x61px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-04_00-09-54.jpg
4KB, 303x61px
didn't get an answer last night

i enabled "OC genie II" and everything seems to be working fine but these two different numbers scare me a little, should i be worried or is it completely fine?
>>
>>59232910
do not use these automated OC tools, they'll overshoot voltage way way WAY above limits.
check it with CPU-Z under 100% load and watch your temperatures.
>>
File: 2017-03-04_13-30-00.jpg (67KB, 403x402px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-04_13-30-00.jpg
67KB, 403x402px
>>59232930
the voltage doesn't go above 1.23 V (i'm not sure if this is an increase or not) and the temp didn't go above 65c full load
>>
File: 3570k.png (27KB, 403x402px) Image search: [Google]
3570k.png
27KB, 403x402px
>>59232947
this is excellence.
I'm surprised the tool worked and didn't just set voltage to 1.5V like some do.

for comparison, my 3570k requires 1.3V to stay stable on 4.2GHz.
>>
>>59233004
b-but why does it say 5.13Ghz in the task manager?
is that just a meme number?
>>
>>59232819
\n works on both. Web browsers use CR+LF line endings regardless of the host OS's convention.
>>
>>59233020
if >>59232947 that image is under 100% load, then it seems fine.
>>
I'm looking into a buying a new computer and I need advice because hardware isn't my forte. I know I want a laptop, and It needs to be powerful enough to run both NukeX and Vray, even if it does it semi-poorly. My budget is about $1000 - $1500 Canadian.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>59233020
Because task manager often gets speeds wrong.
>>
>>59232861
Something's wrong with you, m8. Whether you're coding or not. See a doctor.
>>
>>59233058
>>59233086
thanks!
>>
File: 1487992686053.jpg (140KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487992686053.jpg
140KB, 650x800px
I have 5TB of porn videos. And I'm tired of buying more hard drives all the time.

Would it make sense to compress them with HandBrake? How much would the difference be with a 4GB file? I think file size is more important than quality, would it be best to keep the resolution and lower bitrate or lower the resolution and keep the bitrate?

Thoughts?

H.264 in an MP4 container the best?
>>
>>59233050
Thanks, good to hear that.
>>
>>59233258
>Would it make sense to compress them
if they're higher quality than you need them to be, sure
>How much would the difference be with a 4GB file?
their current size doesn't really affect the size of your output, the video is decompressed before it is recompressed, only resolution, framerate, and content complexity matters
>I think file size is more important than quality, would it be best to keep the resolution and lower bitrate or lower the resolution and keep the bitrate?
this depends on various things, lower resolution will allow for smaller output at similar quality (bar the details loss directly caused by lower resolution)
>Thoughts?
i should have bought some pies when i was at the shops earlier
>H.264 in an MP4 container the best?
mkv + hevc + opus is best combination right now, h264 is still something to consider if you have a slow machine though, while hevc is better, it's far slower to encode than h264, which can make it impractical in some cases
>>
Are there bitcoin miners that spoof temps?

Things sound a lot louder than they're reading.
>>
>>59232281
I don't think it would be that big a deal, as long as you don't anticipate them moving around too much while in operation, or banging into some other more sensitive parts.

You might want to at least tape it down or something.
>>
File: 1383750209888.jpg (16KB, 54x65px) Image search: [Google]
1383750209888.jpg
16KB, 54x65px
Hey /g/, just a few questions about PC assembly.

My current PC is a custom built one I put together myself, so I got no problem actually putting anything together but it was just years ago so im kinda fuzzy on some details, the only thing i did once it was assembled was open it up once to put a 970 in there to replace the old an shitty second hand GPU that was in there for about a year or so.

1. If i replace pretty much everything bar the fans, storage drives and RAM, will i need a new copy of Windows? I find it hard to believe I could just swap out my SSD C onto a new MOBO and everything OS wise will just work as before, but then again I don't know what Im talking about, maybe it will

2. Is SLI with different Nvidua GPUS with different Vram levels functional, say for example if I got a 1080 or a 1070 with 8GB, and ran SLI with the 970 at 4GB, or >3.5 I already have, how much more performance would I really be getting over say a 1070 alone, running at a native 1440p?
Would the performance increase substantial enough to keep it, or would I be better off just selling my original GPU to recoup some of the cost of my new one.

3.Upgrade to DDR4, or just keep the 16GB DDR 3 i have already?
>>
File: 1484971497924.jpg (24KB, 250x374px) Image search: [Google]
1484971497924.jpg
24KB, 250x374px
What video editing software do people use?

I just want to be able to cut parts from videos and combine them again without a big loss in quality when I save the video...

I used an old version of Sony Vegas a few times in the past but honestly it was a pain and not at all intuitive.
>>
File: constructorfrog.jpg (7KB, 200x196px) Image search: [Google]
constructorfrog.jpg
7KB, 200x196px
Starting to get more srsly into web dev.

How should I use my Github profile?
1. Upload everything I work on?
2. Upload stuff I work that's "worthy" only?
Or something else...
So far, I only have very little uploaded...
>>
>>59233662
BUMP
>>
this is my setup, one pc, one laptop, one mobile. easiest way to transfer files between these without using a usb/email?
>>
>>59233775
a network
>>
>>59233662
And should I upload as soon as I get started, or only when I got a decent baseline project?
>>
Where the hell is the computer building general thread?
>>
File: 1477523496214.jpg (133KB, 914x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1477523496214.jpg
133KB, 914x1212px
Looking for a new good TV to buy. Playing gaymes and watching movies.

Where do I start? Is there a guide or something special I should know? Is LG really that good or just a meme?
>>
I have $100 in amazon gift credit. What is the best android phone i can get for that. It wont be used for phone shit but instead as a music player and ebook reading device so SD card is a must.
>>
>>59233662
if you want it to be public then do it right away, even if it just contains a readme for now.
>>
>>59233662
>>59233744
>>59233807
>>59233960
to add to that, use it as a project management tool.
create your issues of what needs to be done/implemented or just general ideas, create feature branches and close them with merge requests.
>>
File: Jeromes Dream.jpg (33KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
Jeromes Dream.jpg
33KB, 500x332px
I want to create several hundred html files that all have the same format & I want to write a script or something that will let me input a couple text fields with a photo then auto generate that html page with the information I gave it.

I only want to have to write the first html file and then the rest will follow that same code except. Any suggestions?
>>
>>59234081
https://www.staticgen.com/
pick one.
>>
almost every time i shutdown my computer i need to run startup repair. my monitor just gets discoloured lines at the top of it and won't boot.
>>
Gonna build a new computer soon, budget 500€ to 1000€. I already have a monitor. I'm hesitating between two choices, here they are :

>Intel Core i5-6500 / 7500
>B150 / B250 mobo
>AMD Radeon RX 480

or

>Intel Core i5-6600K / 7600K
>Z170 / Z270 mobo
>AMD Radeon RX 480

In all honesty I will probably never end up overclocking my computer because while I do occasionally play games they're generally retro ones, and even if I were to play newer games, it wouldn't kill me to not being able to constantly playing them in ULTRA settings.
Another thing is I am poor and I'm expecting, want, my computer to last at the very least 3-4 years, and by lasting I mean not to break, so overclocking is like taking the risk of damaging my hardware for very little utility.

I'm aware the K versions of the core are naturally more powerful than the non-K versions even without overclocking, but is it still worth the higher costs? Would I end up regretting buying a, let's say, 7500 + B250 mobo combo in the future? Am I fucking myself over by doing this because very little room to upgrade in the future?

A couple of minor questions, too :
• Is it fine to get Windows 10 off their website and install it on my newly made computer just like that? I won't have to mess with the BIOS?
• Is a SSD really that needed? I read they prone to break compared to a good old HDD. I would still get a HDD no matter what of course, I mean to install my OS/progs/games on.
• I've noticed people recently making new builds with the i5-4670K / 4690K cores, are they retarded? These shits are more expensive and less powerful than some of the CPU I listed above.
• I know I should get a GOLD or PLATINUM certified PSU. I also know I should get RAM according to whether or not I plan on OC. Anything else I should know?

I would like your insights, /g/. Thanks for reading.
>>
>>59234206
Why not Ryzen, senpai?
>>
>>59234228
I'd like something that works straight out of the box, I'm not a fan of the "but wait!" AMD policy.

I do plan on waiting for Ryzen in case prices drop though yes.
>>
Why are ethernet cables yellow?
>>
why do so many people think hmd is a chink company?
>>
>>59226186
I have two devices hooked up to a router via ethernet. One has a wifi adapter connected to some other network. What could I do to bridge that wifi connection to the other ethernet device to use?

Was looking to OpenVPN initially but apparently dumb for a lan
>>
>>59234281
Because you bought one that is colored yellow
>>
Does it matter which connector each antenna cable is attached to on a wifi card? I forgot which was left and which was right when taking apart my laptop.
>>
>>59234489
No, an antenna is just an antenna.
>>
>>59234206
Z170 / Z270 is the clear choice. Overclocking is pretty easy and safe to the point where most BIOSes have built-in profiles already. You'll be fine.

>• Is it fine to get Windows 10 off their website and install it on my newly made computer just like that? I won't have to mess with the BIOS?
I don't understand the question. BIOS is separate from your OS, so Windows 10 just werk The most common issue is secure boot, but since you'll only use Windows, you won't have to care.
>• Is a SSD really that needed?
For the average gaymur, SSD is the third most important component after GPU and CPU in terms of performance, so yes.
>• I know I should get a GOLD or PLATINUM certified PSU. I also know I should get RAM according to whether or not I plan on OC. Anything else I should know?
Platinum is overkill. But if you're on a tight budget, even bronze will do, as long as the PSU is known to meet quality standards according to trustworthy reviews.
>>
>>59220176
>32bit if you plan to use it with =<2GB RAM and you absolutely positively don't want to run any 64-bit exclusive program on it.
Thanks.
>>
how do I filter threads in 4chanx whitout filtering comments?
>>
Is this good for backup? I'm installing linux as dual boot and wanted to make a backup just in case.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wd-my-passport-2tb-2-5-usb-3-0-portable-external-hard-drive-wdbyft0020bbk-wesn-black-wdbyft0020bbk-wesn/10482118.aspx?path=a8a5a0fcca184cdb5ebd6779c0995c8den02
>>
>>59234604
dont use the comments section
>>
Trying to install a GUI Music Player for Arch w/ xfce, but they have problems with importing the local library. Most players I've tried thus far won't let me use the "Select folder" function in which it should open the file manager so that I can select a folder. It's like it's missing a permission to access the file manager. How do I fix this?
>>
>>59234740
Could you be more vague?
>>
Veracrypt wont let me encrypt my whole drive because its GPT. Is encrypting system partition just as good if my only other partitions are recovery and EFI system partition?
>>
>>59234766
install gentoo
>>
>>59234677
what section then
>>
>>59234800
Which ever section it is that you want to filter
>>
>>59234810
theres no catalog section
>>
>>59234828
Because the catalog isnt a fucking section.
>>
>>59234837
so what do
>>
>>59234853
Learn exactly how filtering works and then filter what you want to filter
>>
File: swap.png (74KB, 1541x544px) Image search: [Google]
swap.png
74KB, 1541x544px
I'm currently using a usb 2.0 flash drive for my swap on Arch. I have an actual swap file on my 5400rpm HDD as well (which is the same partition as my OS) but I have the priority set to 2 in my fstab file. My reasoning for trying this is the same as if you were to use a flashdrive for ReadyBoost in Windows. I completely understand that they are two completely different operating systems, but why is this considered slower to use than just using the swap file on my HDD?
>>
My late father left me his ipad, but the newest version of software available is 5.1.1. Not only that, but basically nothing is supported from the official store and I had to factory reset it to 5.1.1. Can someone here point me to a software that allows me to either root or flash it to install something better than this gimped unsupported OS?
>>
>>59234756
>have Arch Linux with xfce
>try to install a music player with GUI
>cant use LOCAL library
>when in a random GUI music player and try to use the SELECT MUSIC FOLDER function or something similar it does nothing
>it seems like the music players I have tested thus far dont have access to a FILE MANAGER in order to select my MUSIC FOLDER

does that make less vague?
>>
>>59234863
Because swap is more closely related to pagefile on Windows. It mimics a secondary set of RAM.
>>
>>59234878
>install """"""music player""""""
>random """"""""gui music player""""""""
>i have tested
Again, be more vague
>>
>>59234863
ReadyBoost was almost never sensible either, even when Vista just came out typical hard drives were generally faster than USB 2.0.
>>
>>59234863
You dont need swap,and having it would not be beneficial in any way on a usb 2.0 and 5400 rpm hdd
>>
>>59234867
You're out of luck son. Welcome to Apple's planned obsolescence. Enjoy your stay at our walled garden.
>>
>>59234907
Audacious, Lollipop, Clementine, Harmony and one more of which I forgot the name
>>
>>59234867
you can jailbreak it with Redsn0w, but most of the third party software has dropped support for 5.1.1 too, so it's not that useful.

Best use is to just sell it.
>>
>>59234882
>>59234918
>>59234923
Thank you all

Also to >>59234923
I'm running Arch on an older netbook that has 2GB of RAM. I usually leave Chrome running in the background to reduce the time it takes to open it. Usually this machine is used for web surfing or to rdesktop to my main machine. Is the swap file still unnecessary in this case or will I constantly run out of ram?
>>
Is there a way to disable W10 home from turning itself off for updates when the computer is turned on/in sleep mode so I don't fucking lose all my work?
>>
>>59235026
soon.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/02/microsoft_creators_update_windows_10_reboots/
>>
>>59234504
>Z170 / Z270 is the clear choice. Overclocking is pretty easy and safe
But what if I still end up not wanting to overclock? What if I never end up needing it?

That guy here >>>/wsr/275426 is saying K aren't worth it if I do not overclock.

>I don't understand the question.
I've just found really odd how Windows 10 is available for free like that on Microsoft's website.
>>
I want to shitpost on /int/ with rare flags.
Softether is slow and isnt reliable with specific flags. Pls help.
>>
File: IMG_20170304_130105019.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170304_130105019.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
I want to disassemble this very old TV to see how's stuff inside and everything.
Are there any health risks from managing the internal parts with my own bare hands?
I once read that the lithium of batteries can definitely fuck you up, so I figured i should ask.
>>
>>59235088
Mercury and ESD. Lethal amounts of ESD
>>
Assuming you are listening to a song with a wired connection and the audio output cable has a bad connection (such as the cable not fully plugged in or simply just busted), you can hear things that are imperceptible in music, such as lower volume tracks or frequencies that plainly get mixed together and you don't even notice them.

Is there some way of doing that through software?
>>
>>59235100
Oh and forgot lead >>59235088
>>
>>59235100
Interesting.
Why would I get ESD from something that has been turned off for decades?
>>
>>59235088
>lithium
Lithium is a natural occuring salt, it wont "fuck you up" at all.
The mercury and lead will how ever
>>
>>59226186
Ok here's a question about CURL.

I'm trying to learn using it so i can download files from multiple sites that i use at work but for some reason it doesn't work when i use it on a script.

IF i get the curl command from google chrome browser(by pressing f12) and use it in bash it downloads everything normally, if i try to use it in a code, even after saving and using the same cookies i get a logout for whatever reason.

So i don't know how that happens. I'm using on Cygwin btw.
>>
>>59235173
If you plug it in, the caps get charged, regardless if you turn it on or not. But if it's left in your basement storage room in a box for 10 years, then it's safe.
>>
>>59235337
the session/token ran out?
>>
>>59235062
Is there a way to do it now with editing the registry or some shit?
>>
1- Which contributes to dust the most: leaving my case somewhere high and with nothing nearby or on the floor of a cubicle?
2- Can I deal with dust simply with a vacuum cleaner?
>>
>>59235355
not sure, it just show me a logout message from the server instead of getting the page information.
>>
>>59235363
http://tunecomp.net/disable-automatic-reboot-after-updates-installation-in-windows-10/
>>
I'm building my first computer (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/) and deciding between overclocking and not overclocking. If I overclock I will most likely go over my budget and I don't really plan to use the feature. I might also get Ryzen 5 when it comes out depending on performance but for now I'm sticking with Intel. Also, will a Skylake CPU work with a Z270 mobo?
>>
>>59235070
If you don't plan on overclocking, why not H170 / H270? B150 / B250 is a bit limiting and kinda poorfag territory.

>>59235070
>I've just found really odd how Windows 10 is available for free like that on Microsoft's website.
Because officially, you either need to have a valid retail key or are upgrading from a Windows 7/8 OEM key. Funnily enough, I did a fresh install on a new CPU + mobo on January, and my Windows 7 OEM key worked flawlessly.
>>
>>59235656
Not that anon, but why an H series chipset over a B series? What's the difference?
>>
>>59235721
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151#Skylake_chipsets
>>
>>59229265
>download an entire 3D animation creation suite just to do simple video editing
Nah, senpai
>>
>>59229158
>>59235753
shotcut
>>
How do I steal Wi-Fi
>>
>>59235753
blender is smaller than most dedicated video editors
>>
Considering this new gen processors don't support windows 7, can I still use a virtual machine with windows 7?
>>
>>59235735
How is B150/B250 limiting? Most people won't be using RAID and honestly the PCI and USB ports are more than enough, especially if you use a b250 board
>>
>>59235764
Seems like a good deal
>>
>>59235816
You're confusing the terms 'not supporting' and 'not working', it will still work on Win 7.
>>
What's the best VPN?
>>
>>59234240
What are you, a fucking gaymer?
>>
>>59235371
Help
>>
Friend got himself a new laptop with no OS. He "needs" windows 10 but of course he's also worried about viruses and shit because he doesn't use common sense sometimes.

Is there any free antivirus that won't nag him too much or is Windows Defender his only hope?
>>
How do I use Whatsapp on Desktop without scanning a QR-code? My phone literally doesnt have a cam.
I've done some searching, but everything keeps asking me to scan. Would it work to just pop my simcard into a smartphone once, just to connect it?
>>
>>59236191
Not that anon, but is there anything wrong with getting an Intel CPU now instead of waiting for Ryzen 5 to release?
>>
Dunno if it fits here, but I have an issue in C++ when I try to copy a Matrix (I created the class).
 Matrix& operator=(const Matrix& mat) // operateur (fonction membre)
{
//if(mat.nx_ != n_)
// create(mat.n_);

for(int i=0;i<nx_;i++){
for(int j=0;j<ny_;j++){
tableau_[i][j] = mat(i,j);
}
}
}

private:
int nx_;
int ny_;
float** tableau_;

it says :
heat2Dtoast.cpp: In member function ‘Matrix& Matrix::operator=(const Matrix&)’:
heat2Dtoast.cpp:28:33: error: no match for call to ‘(const Matrix) (int&, int&)’
tableau_[i][j] = mat(i,j);
^
heat2Dtoast.cpp:17:10: note: candidate: float& Matrix::operator()(int, int) <near match>
float& operator()(int x,int y){
^
heat2Dtoast.cpp:17:10: note: passing ‘const Matrix*’ as ‘this’ argument discards qualifiers
>>
>>59226186
How do I get the latest "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" without having to update my OS?

I haven't updated my windows 8.1 in 3 years and am affraid that if I do it then I'll be forced to install windows 10. However I need the latest "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" in order to install Adobe InDesign. I can't install it off the website because of the apparent dependencies that are needed.
>>
>>59235656
Just made a non-k core simulation here :
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3YwHQV

How is it? Anything wrong?

>If you don't plan on overclocking, why not H170 / H270?
No idea what those cards are to be honest, nor why they are better than the B ones. I don't know shit about mobos.

>Because officially, you either need to have a valid retail key or are upgrading from a Windows 7/8 OEM key. Funnily enough, I did a fresh install on a new CPU + mobo on January, and my Windows 7 OEM key worked flawlessly.
Does that mean I'll need a key? I was told I could just put Windows 10 on an USB downloading it from Microsoft and installing it on a fresh computer. I can, right? I'm confused now.
>>
>>59236774
>I can, right? I'm confused now.
Just pirate it nigga
>>
>>59236804
The plan was to then install MS Toolkit afterwards. I don't plan on buying it. Still what you're saying doesn't answer my question.

Can I put Windows 10 on an USB, downloaded off Microsoft's website, and install it without having to use a key or not?
>>
>>59236323
Freemium antiviruses are cancer.

MalwareBytes is fine but manual scan.
>>
>>59236774
Looks okay
H170 and such are the motherboard chipsets, Z > H > B in terms of features. If you're not overclocking you don't really need to worry about it
>>
>>59236843
Eh, then fuck it.

I'll just give him an ad blocker and a better hosts file. And tell him not to install mcaffee again.
>>
>>59236774
Just buy a windows key on microsoftswoftwareswap.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z270-H270-Q270-Q250-B250---What-is-the-Difference-876/
>>
>>59235656
>B250 mobos
>poorfag tier
the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>59236934
But does this >>59236841 work?

And thanks for the link.
>>
>>59237008
This really depends:
- Do you already have a win10 license?
- Did you buy win10 or get free upgrade?
- Did you upgrade from a OEM or retail win7/8?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

I don't bother with this stuff and just buy a new key every time (30 usd on reddit)

I'm pretty sure you can skip the activation during install though.
>>
>>59237071
>I'm pretty sure you can skip the activation during install though.
That's what I'd like to know, I remember a week ago or so I got told you could install without having to activate. Then with MS Toolkit you'd crack it and that's it.

I don't really want to buy it, I'm poor.
>>
>>59235570
bump
>>
>>59237099
Yes its possible.
This is the tool they were talking about: http://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

>>59237108
>>59235570
Link obviously doesn't work.
>>If I overclock I will most likely go over my budget and I don't really plan to use the feature
>" I can't afford it and I will not use it. "
Sounds like you made your decision.
>will a Skylake CPU work with a Z270 mobo
yes
>>
>>59237160
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s7qVHN

Wow didn't even realize that. Sorry. I've just heard that getting an unlocked CPU and a Z-series mobo would allow me to have a high base clock speed and a lot of options, even if I never planned on overclocking.
>>
>>59237192
We have a specific thread for this at >>>/g/pcbg/

You're paying money for:
- Unlocked CPU
- Better cooler
- Motherboard that can OC

So why not overclock?
You don't have to do it all manually, you can just use a predefined OC profile and get a quick win.
>>
>>59237312
There isn't a /pcbg/ up. And wow thanks, I never realized you could use OC profiles. On a related note, should I just wait for Ryzen 5 and OC that since all of their CPUs are overclockable?
>>
File: glasses.jpg (15KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
glasses.jpg
15KB, 522x522px
are computer glasses effective or a joke?

I'm looking at the Gamma Ray 007s since they're not too expensive, and they aren't neon yellow.

I'm not really looking at them to be MLG pro. I work in IT and stare at large screens all day. I'm just looking for something to help with eye strain.
>>
>>59237356
You can definitely wait.
Chances are it will be better bang for the buck - but in terms of gaming Intel will be better.

>>59237362
I have a pair of gunnar glasses.
Bought them after a recommendation from ophthalmologist.
I had scratches on my eyeballs and it really hurt. Now its gone.
>>
>>59237403
Ok that's great. Was definately planning to buy my CPU around May. What are the chances it will be out by then?
>>
>>59237493
>What are the chances it will be out by then?
very slim
>>
>>59237507
So I should basically just plan on getting an Intel CPU then?
>>
>>59234604
Follow this guide:
>Filter OPs only along with their threads (`only`), replies only (`no`), or both (`yes`, this is default).
>For example: op:only;, op:no; or op:yes;.
>>
How can I find what's running at startup and how to stop it? For example Punkbuster is running all the time but I've not played battlefield in months, it doesn't appear under the startup tab in msconfig. How can I find all services and choose what I want?
>>
>>59237937
run services.msc or use https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
>>
Any pointers what to research if I want to build a physical side storage with multiple drives that act as one drive and preferably have some sort of RAID control to reduce risk of failure that can be accessed from my main machine as if it was just an external hard drive?

I've heard about NAS, but not sure if that meets these requirements.
>>
here's a new thread
>>59238174
>>59238174
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.