[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Only 11% of open source participants are women

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 36

File: leah0.jpg (91KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
leah0.jpg
91KB, 500x491px
What can be done to correct this?
https://www.redhat.com/en/about/women-in-open-source?sc_cid=70160000000wxWPAAY
>>
>>58963830
Does it say what percentage of those women are men?
>>
>>58963830
>11% of open source contributors are women
That explains why open source are so shit as of lately.
>>
>>58963830
Is that by self-reported gender or by medical data?
>>
(((women)))
>>
>>58963830
How many % are real women?

PS: I identify as gnugender. GNU/Linux
>>
>>58963850
0%! (。>‿‿<。 )
>>
>>58963830
>What can be done to correct this?

Don't allow women to take programming classes.
>>
(((documentation editors)))
>>
>>58963830
strange, just like
>>58955821
it became downward trend since 80s
>>
There's no correcting since it isn't out of sorts. This isn't something like an automated door staying open and then closing when someone walks up to it, this is simply participation. This is just how it is, plain and simple.
>>
File: 1482193680667.jpg (64KB, 693x490px) Image search: [Google]
1482193680667.jpg
64KB, 693x490px
>>58964284
Is this just a meme? I've seen a few examples here and there but is there genuinely a plague of progressive documentation editors on github?
>>
>>58963830

This should not be corrected as women are terrible when it comes to thinking in terms of Logic and by that, I don't mean social logic but rather, the actual study of Logic, Game Theory, Computational Models, Assembly and all sorts of other things.

They make things plain which are actually retarded, more complex and waste more time.

They should not be allowed in.
>>
File: 8bitkiller.jpg (18KB, 364x514px) Image search: [Google]
8bitkiller.jpg
18KB, 364x514px
The only way to increase that number is to kill all men on earth because women don't really like tech jobs
>>
>>58964007
>(。>‿‿<。 )
I hope it's open source, because I'm stealing this emoji, anon.
>>
>>58963830

This is one of the things that made me a Trump supporter. I'm not joking.

I'm a web developer. I have no problem with women being in the field. What I can't stand is these efforts to make the field 50/50. It will NEVER be 50/50, unless capable men are FIRED to make way for less capable employees, just because they're female.

There's a very important scientific reason why development will never be 50/50. Males produce more testosterone. Higher testosterone levels are associated with a greater interest in understanding systems, from a very early age. It is certainly possible for females to develop this interest - there are females that have abnormally high testosterone levels compared to other females. And especially the daughters of developers / STEM types are more likely to be interested in those fields.

But in general, males tend to be far more interested in technical subjects. In Norway, the most gender-equal country in the world, 90% of engineers are male, and 90% of nurses are female - despite repeated efforts by the government to get the opposite sex into each industry. Interestingly, in less developed countries, engineering is MORE gender-balanced than in developed countries. People who research this stuff suggest this may be because in developing countries, there's more pressure (from poverty and such) to get a well paying job, so both males and females are attracted to engineering. But in Western countries people don't have such great financial worries, so they pursue what they enjoy instead.

So yes. Please let's just stop this political correctness crap.

John Carmack was quizzed on this topic at an event once (the video's on YouTube) - he was asked, by a woman, why there weren't more females on the Oculus team. His reply was something along the lines of "we hire whoever is best for the job - we don't care what sex they are". That's the attitude that tech should always take, now and forever.
>>
>>58964538
>people aren't influenced by social norms
>>
File: 1451294164588.png (717KB, 832x835px) Image search: [Google]
1451294164588.png
717KB, 832x835px
>few women choose to major in a STEM field
>few women end up working in STEM
Woah
>>
>>58963830
Absolutely fucking nothing. Now quit shitposting.
>>
File: 1486785935779.jpg (16KB, 302x266px) Image search: [Google]
1486785935779.jpg
16KB, 302x266px
>have 11℅ girls in one of my cs class
>100℅ poo
>>
>>58964538
Exactly this, and we need to get this cancer out of the industry.

By which I mean we need to encourage a genuine MERITOCRACY, an open door for anyone who is good enough. Stop the bullshit of crowbarring people in, it's fucking MORONIC. And it genuinely threatens the jobs of talented people who could be fired because their only crime was being white and male.

>>58964581
You've seen the multiple examples of GitHub progressive wankery right? If not, pic related is just one example of the cancer, but there are others. A few projects did this change of dropping "master"/"slave" (you know, terms that have been used in technology for FUCKING DECADES)

Thankfully hacker news had some sense on the matter, most of them thought this was idiotic:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7801646

>>58964594
I don't mind letting women in - if somebody is talented, no matter their sex, they should be able to get the job

What I object to is special dispensation

I object to that more strongly than anything I can possibly think of
>>
>>58964594
>This should not be corrected as women are terrible when it comes to thinking in terms of Logic and by that, I don't mean social logic but rather, the actual study of Logic, Game Theory, Computational Models, Assembly and all sorts of other things.
Not sure I buy that. Sounds like a meme to me.

>They make things plain which are actually retarded, more complex and waste more time.
If that's true, they should be kicked out based on the poor quality of their work, not their gender. Gender shouldn't even be taken into account.

>They should not be allowed in.
They should be allowed in, if they're able to demonstrate their competence. Rejecting people based on something other than the quality of their work or ability to participate in a project (if someone writes really good code, but creates excessive drama with other contributors, a case can be made for kicking them out) goes against the open source philosophy.

>>58964874
>What I can't stand is these efforts to make the field 50/50. It will NEVER be 50/50, unless capable men are FIRED to make way for less capable employees, just because they're female.
That's assuming that women are indeed less capable then men. Not sure I buy that. Too many people, when they reject the idea that men dominating CS is ENTIRELY because of sexist discrimination, go to far in the other direction and assume that there is ZERO actual discrimination. I'm inclined to think the real answer is somewhere in between, unless someone can provide conclusive evidence that it is indeed entirely one or the other.
>>
>>58964875

When's the last time you've witnessed a girl being made fun of for being an engineer like a guy gets made of fun of for being a nurse?
>>
>>58964934
>You've seen the multiple examples of GitHub progressive wankery right? If not, pic related is just one example of the cancer, but there are others. A few projects did this change of dropping "master"/"slave" (you know, terms that have been used in technology for FUCKING DECADES)
I don't think we should keep terms around JUST because they've been around for a while. People have been saying "knots per hour" when measuring the speed of ships for over a hundred years, but it's still just plain incorrect and shouldn't be encouraged. And I'm not familiar with Redis, but just in terms of semantics, "primary/replica" doesn't seem appropriate as a replacement for "master/slave", because the words don't mean the same thing. It might make sense if we're talking about a process that uses a fork call, or an object that creates copies of themselves (and certainly such constructs could USE a master/slave protocol, but master/slave is about control, while primary/replica seems to be talking about something orthogonal to that).

Apparently Django's first replacement for "master/slave" terminology was "leader/follower", and I'm not sure why they switched from that to "primary/replica". Leader/follower expresses the same concept as master/slave, but doesn't have the unfortunate implications of non-consent/exploitation. And I definitely think it's silly to oppose "master/slave" as having racial implications (which are specific to a given culture/environment) rather than just the fact that it implies one process/object/component is controlling the other without its consent.
>>
>>58964953
What do you mean?
>>
>>58963850
Fuggin
Kek.
>>
>>58964934
>who is good enough
you sound like pretty much a retard

if you "genuinely" belive in meritocracy you should evalutate based on the merit of a proposal not based on who is "good enough"
>>
>>58964934
I'm not into the political correctness wankery, but to be fair "master" and "slave" are awful terms, and replacing them requires little effort. Stop being such a contrarian, people don't like that.
>>
File: simon baron cohen.jpg (46KB, 621x768px) Image search: [Google]
simon baron cohen.jpg
46KB, 621x768px
>>58964875
Firstly, social norms are grounded in biology. Do you think they just fall out of the sky?

Secondly, the reason most women aren't interested in technology is grounded in biology. It's hormones, mainly. Testosterone affects the development of the brain, and explains why men (on the whole) are more logically minded. Yes I do have a source - watch this, for about 3 minutes, from 22:20 - https://youtu.be/tiJVJ5QRRUE?t=22m17s

Or if you don't want to, a brief explanation - Simon Baron-Cohen, Cambridge Professor, has been doing this long-term study on children that he's been studying from when they were in the womb. He measured their testosterone levels constantly, and found that babies with higher test levels had certain traits:

>Less eye contact
>Greater interest in understanding systems
>Take longer to learn language / social skills

Also he did an experiment on these babies on the first day of life - he showed them a mechanical object and a face. He found that the babies with higher prenatal (in the womb) testosterone spent more time looking at the object. Those with lower levels spent more time looking at the face.

Females can have unusually high test levels - they also can be interested in technical things, for sure, but it looks like hormones play a big part in determining our behaviour, and our patterns of interest. And males (on average) produce twice as much testosterone in the womb. As adults, males produce TWENTY times as much.
>>
>>58963830
>muh patriarchy
Can't you just accept that women have different interests than men and no one is oppressing them?
>>
>>58963850
This.

>>58963830
Well we could do background checks to make sure nomore get in and the blacklist the ones that are already in from editing anything without approval.
>>
>>58965054
>Firstly, social norms are grounded in biology. Do you think they just fall out of the sky?
They arise from acknowledgement of biological differences. But their effect goes beyond that of what biology has in the first place, it basically exerts an averaging effect. For example, "masculine behavior" is biologically influenced, that's why it's more common in men than women in the first place. But when it becomes a social norm, it basically enforces that trait beyond biology - without social norms, a non-masculine male wouldn't be "wrong" (because biology itself does not make value judgements), but with societal norms it adds a value judgement, males are ashamed to have traits seen as feminine, and parents are unlikely to want a feminine son. Not saying this is either good or bad, but that social norms are an EXTENSION of biology, and if we somehow went back in time and prevented social norms from forming, culture would have turned out differently, even if on a basic biological level things were exactly the same.

>>58965058
See the bottom paragraph of >>58964939. I think it's silly to assume it's ALL oppression or ALL "just having different natural interests". I suspect that some sexist social discouragement whatever is going on, and it explains part of, but not all of, the numerical disparity between men and women in CS.
>>
If we made mandatory penis inspections I'm sure that 11% would fall drastically.
>>
>>58965159
>implying 0% of women have penises
>>
>>58965135
>but with societal norms it adds a value judgement, males are ashamed to have traits seen as feminine, and parents are unlikely to want a feminine son.
That's because women aren't attracted to feminine males. Gender roles, in that sense, are *helping* you to become reproductively successful. Just like you parents teach you how to succeed at a getting a job, and succeed at managing your money, they try and teach how to succeed at attaining a partner and having a family as well.
>>
>>58965051
>do what everybody else says
That's genuinely the most pathetic post I've ever read

I feel sorry for you
>>
>>58963830
What is there to correct and why?
>>
>>58965200
>That's because women aren't attracted to feminine males.
And that too is something partially extended by social norms. There is a biological root to it all, some of the traits that are considered "feminine" are considered undesirable in a woman's partner for evolutionary reasons, but "femininity", as a category, doesn't even really exist in nature, and a woman is likely to consider a man less attractive if she hears others consider him "feminine", without even knowing what those "feminine" traits are.

This isn't "gender roles are bad mmkay", it's just pointing out that gender roles, despite arising from biology, have an effect beyond what biology itself does.
>>
>>58965211
Not them, but contrarian behavior is itself a version of conformity.
>>
>>58963850
Underrated
>>
File: 1337461127518.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1337461127518.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>58963979
I'd marry a GNUgender woman.
>>
>>58963830
Nothing, it's not a problem at all. Not everything has to be 50% females.
>>
File: 1362208389527.jpg (52KB, 403x604px) Image search: [Google]
1362208389527.jpg
52KB, 403x604px
>>58964910
I wouldn't mind.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170210-183340.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170210-183340.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
Mfw I realise /g/ is turning to /pol/
>>
File: stem.jpg (135KB, 626x582px) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
135KB, 626x582px
Women should stop hoarding their source?
>>
>>58965211
t. friendless turbo autist
>>
>>58963830
Revoke their github access rights.
>>
>>58965442
/pol/tards are just noisy and prone to spamming memes and shitting all over the place.
>>
>>58965460
Except barely anyone of any gender goes into gender studies.
>>
>>58965020
>implying 'consent' applies to inanimate things like processes, objects, or components

Thinking this way would be incredibly silly. Do we really want to deal with this kind of autism when we're trying to make software?
>>
>>58965511
>I see what you did there
>>
>>58964934
Yeah special dispensation is stupid behavior and gets us nowhere.
The master slave github thing was petty, that shit has no place in real work.

In Let Over Lambda, Hoyte says of legendary common lisp hacker Edi Weitz
> "When other people are talking, Edi is coding; code speaks louder than argument."

Avoid normie bs, disdain for plebs etc.
>>
>>58965535
I'm not even saying it's a big deal. I'm just saying it maeks more sense than saying the terms have "racial" implications, and there's really no reason to use "master/slave" apart from tradition when "leader/follower" conveys the idea just as well.
>>
>>58963850
ayy lmao
>>
>>58965570
no it doesn't, the abstraction is different in our mind because we spent years of our lives studying this shit.
>>
>>58965570
>there's really no reason to use "master/slave" apart from tradition

I disagree. Giving in to people's silly demands like this just creates a culture where they feel dignified in complaining about pettier and pettier grievances. You get nowhere by appeasing them.

See: whitelist/blacklist drama.
>>
>>58965511

Triggered much? Point stands. Women are just being selfish. We don't need their code anyway. Man code works fine without theirs.
>>
>>58965051
>wanting to do the norm and use master/slave is being a contrarian
eat a dick, master and slave don't even have racial connotations on their own
>>
File: thats_a_man_baby.jpg (63KB, 480x415px) Image search: [Google]
thats_a_man_baby.jpg
63KB, 480x415px
>>58963830
>>
File: 1479188339092.jpg (65KB, 599x595px) Image search: [Google]
1479188339092.jpg
65KB, 599x595px
>>58964878
wew
>>
>>58965511
Except that is irrelevant, because instead of actually tackling the problem by focusing their attention on the root issue, the educational system. Which fails to foster an interest in STEM from an early age (for both boys and girls).
Feminists will scream and whine at companies to hire more women, an impossible task when the pool of competent women employees is so tiny.
>>
>>58964934
>Stop the bullshit of crowbarring people in, it's fucking MORONIC.

Exactly. I don't belong, so I don't deserve to be in. I'm working to get there, but I'm not going to bother anyone until I have the skills to match my work ethic.

This applies to other fields, of course. It's a wonder people's fucking heads don't explode in everyday life due to the stupidity human resources shits on to a payroll.
>>
>>58965428
>tfw when she has dried fecal matter on her stockings and gloves and cunt
>missing erection poster goes up
>>
>>58965442
Seem an appropriate face for a nü-male beta faggot. Better start the HRT now.
>>
>>58965592
>sour grapes

>>58965617
But besides the supposed racial issue, the master/slave terminology has connations of exploitation, beyond merely expressing how control is organized. As >>58965535, "consent" isn't really meaningful within computers (at least not until we get real AI), but likewise "exploitation" doesn't either, so using a term with that extra baggage is kind of silly.

>>58965831
Whining about /pol/ does not mean /lgbt/ is any more welcome here.
>>
>>58964953
The first guy is suggesting that women don't get into FOSS software development because social norms influences their decisions to learn how to program/be a software developer.

The second guy is saying that this isn't the case. He says that there are no social norms precluding women from becoming good software developers, BUT there are social norms precluding men from performing non-traditional male jobs such as being a nurse.

All I can say to that is I have a niece and I plan on buying her Lego and chemistry sets and the kinda shit I liked when I was a kid. It is my hope this will at least expose her to the world of logic and science. If she follows that path, that would be great. If not, that's fine too.

What is wrong is parents saying "no let's get her a girly thing instead of lego" or whatever. Get the kid things that will help them develop and learn, whatever that may be.
>>
>>58966452
was actually meant to reply to >>58965028
>>
tell them they have germs and to stop contributing

problem solved, open source software gets better
>>
>>58965763
stackoverflow survery says 69 percent of programmers are self taught https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/03/30/lots-of-coders-are-self-taught-according-to-developer-survey/?utm_term=.10ed78a885c7

educated people might realize teaching themselves is a good idea, but i think education is not the number 1 issue
>>
>>58963830
can spot these prison-trans developers from just their avatar thumbnails these days.

guess it's a bit like learning how to tell the sex of baby chicks. See enough of them and you just know instantly.
>>
I know liberals hate the truth, but the vast majority of women just aren't technologically-minded. There's a reason that women have contributed virtually nothing to mathematics and computer science, both historically and in modern times.
>>
>>58963850
FPBP
>>
File: 4tfbr.jpg (2MB, 2439x3504px) Image search: [Google]
4tfbr.jpg
2MB, 2439x3504px
>>58967265

You owe my waifu an apology /pol kun.
>>
Women study anthropology.
Men study Engineering.
One is more important on the market than the other.
Stop blaming men or society for women's shitty choices. It's as inane as women whining about there not being enough women in politics. They make up more than half of the electorate for fuck's sake and as long as women don't vote they can go fuck themselves, suck my dick and go make me a sammich.
>>
>>58963830
Stop them from using GitHub.
>>
>>58963830
>open source
>women
>>
File: eb3.png (678KB, 680x380px) Image search: [Google]
eb3.png
678KB, 680x380px
>>58963830
>Only 11%
>talking like it's a small number
That's a goddamn a lot and too much, >>58964033 is extremist but has a point.
>>
File: qb.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
qb.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>58964850
(。>‿‿<。 )
Want to make a contract?
>>
Maybe only 10~%ish percent of women are interested in CS?

Most women i know don't care about or "get" computers, and thats perfectly fine, they have their own interests, their own skill sets. I really hate how it's almost illegal to say "men are better at X" or even "more men are interested in Y"
>>
File: buzzwords buzzwords buzzwords.jpg (114KB, 1185x247px) Image search: [Google]
buzzwords buzzwords buzzwords.jpg
114KB, 1185x247px
reminder that meritocracy is cancer and sexism is built into open source
>>
>>58965442
>not liking SJW bullshit means you're turning into pol
>>
>>58963830
that isn't a female
>>
File: MOCKERY.jpg (91KB, 731x960px) Image search: [Google]
MOCKERY.jpg
91KB, 731x960px
>>58969776
>>
>>58963830
>women
>pic related
pick one
>>
>>58965051
Virtually everything has some kind of negative connotation and negative history behind it. It's virtually impossible to create something 100% sunshine and happiness.

Rename "executable" because of all the religious honor killings while you're at it.

>>58964934
>especially in north america
No, retard. Every nation in history has enslaved people and what the US did was a far sight better than what the rest of the world would have done.

There's more slaves alive right now then there have ever been in history.
>>
Only 9% of nurses are male. What can be done to correct this?
>>
>>58963830
But women dont care about open source, they care about having the latest iPhone and latest emojis and dumb social media apps. They are not interested in this, what there is to correct? If there is even a single real woman in those 11%, they probably participate only because it makes them look nerdy or something like that
>>
>>58963830
Remove all those women to reduce that percentage to 0%.
>>
>>58969801
Are you new or something?
>>
>>58963830
did they count
>women
too?
>>
>Correct this
This is the only thing "wrong" here. The assumption that there "needs" to be more women in open source.
People should be free to do what they want, stop trying to force people into roles to soothe your autism.
>>
>>58964874
>Higher testosterone levels are associated with a greater interest in understanding systems, from a very early age.

Young black men have higher testosterone levels than other races.
>>
>>58963830
I love how some people keep pushing the "there is not enough women working in tech because muh soginy" meme, yet this open source stat proves that in fact the opposite is true, most women just don't want to work in tech. I mean if you want to participate in open source, you don't have to get interviewed by a bunch of racist sexist misogynistic fucking white males, just start writing programs and contributing to projects.
>>
>>58971018

contributors with obviously feminine names get fewer merges and more resistance

it's v common for women to use gender neutral names online for reasons like this
>>
>>58971132
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/data-analysis-of-github-contributions-reveals-unexpected-gender-bias/
>Women's contributions to open source are more likely to be accepted than men's.
nice troll
>>
>>58971172

are you illiterate

>What they discovered was that women's contributions were actually accepted more often than men's—but only if the women had gender-neutral profiles. Women whose GitHub profiles revealed their genders had a much harder time.

>When a woman offered a pull request on an open source project where she was an outsider—in other words, where none of the project leads knew her—her contributions were far less likely to be accepted than ones from outsider men.

we've all seen the same study
>>
>>58965442
/g/ has hated this shit since ~2009.
Get over yourself.
>>
>>58965564
Yeah, but Weitz is a fucking God amongst Germen.
>>
>>58971222
Now why would this be?
Could it be because of the current push to get women into coding has led people to be more skeptical of female contributions?

Or is it because we all hate the 3dpd?
>>
>>58971172
>>58971222
>women get an opportunity to be treated perfectly equally by just not revealing their gender
>they don't use it
It's almost as if they expect revealing their gender to give them a benefit.

Because otherwise, why bother?
>>
File: Screenshot-21016-224-PM.jpg (296KB, 1318x760px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-21016-224-PM.jpg
296KB, 1318x760px
>>58971222
>>58971335
Yes, I was retarded and posted the article before reading the whole thing. Still, women with gendered profile pics have it literally only 1-2% worse than men with gendered profile pics, so there is basically no bias against women. You could still try to argue that women have it worse because they are more likely to have their pull requests accepted if they have a non-gendered profile, but the exact same thing is true for men, they too are less likely to have their shit accepted when they have gendered profiles.
>>
>>58969662
No, thank you. I'm part of the 89%.
>>
>>58963830
Nothing outside of literally implementing the inherently racist and preferential "diversity quota" meme.

Has it ever occurred to people that maybe our gender and sexuality really has that much of an effect on us that extends into our interests and career choices? Gay men are more likely to be in the arts for whatever reason, women as well. You don't hear people going on about how there needs to be more straight men in interior decorating or gays and women in construction. It's okay to admit that biology is a greater factor in our habits than we care to admit and that absolute free will is mostly an illusion. I really don't see the problem in this, and I say that as a faggot in the greatest meme field around: web design.

Either way it could be worse, I've seen "diversity in porn" movements. What the fuck? Porn isn't a glamorous field, you want more people to risk destroying their lives and severing family ties for you to pat yourself on your back because you jerked off to a "person of colour"? Even though them terrorist middle eastern daddies though WEW
>>
>>58971335
it's not equal treatment if women are encouraged more than men to hide their identity. the "everyones a faceless anon on the internet!" mythology isnt very durable

>>58971431
+1

large, headline gaps (e.g. 11% in OP) are the emergent property of entire constellation of small gaps (e.g. 64% v 62% in your screenshot). thanks for going back through and re-reading. have a good day
>>
>>58971601

i was going to leave the thread and go to work, but one last post since this touches personal experience

>You don't hear people going on about how there needs to be more straight men in interior decorating or gays and women in construction.

as someone with experience in the field (construction, not interior design) you are strictly wrong about this. we were thrilled to have women on the job site. i can't really say we would have hired preferentially because basically every non-NEET that can piss clean could get a job with us but the few women there were did fuck up less
>>
>>58971853
Maybe it's the "immigrant worker" effect? If a woman has to resort to construction for a living then maybe they just really appreciated and wanted the job?
>>
>>58971431
>You could still try to argue that women have it worse because they are more likely to have their pull requests accepted if they have a non-gendered profile, but the exact same thing is true for men, they too are less likely to have their shit accepted when they have gendered profiles.

probably says way more about people who make their profile gendered then it does anything else
>>
>>58964934
Jesus fuck, this happened ONCE! It's not a fucking issue, SJWs are not out to get you, get over yourself. There is no SJW plague in tech, or else the story wouldn't always be the same "someone on Redis wants to replace master/slave" bullshit.
>>
>>58967265
It may have something to do with the fact that pretty much up until the 60s women's role was to stay home and take care of the kids/cook/clean the house. But naaah, they're just not technologically-minded amirite?
>>
>>58965135
That's the most measured and well-balanced post I've read in this shitstain of a website.
>>
>>58965320
I just want you to know that you aren't actually saying anything of substance or value. A woman is more likely to consider a man less attractive based upon the opinion of others around her because women care more about fitting in with their group and peers. Another feminine trait.
>>
>>58967333
The exceptions prove the rule, faggot.
>>
>>58963850
Made me smile.
>>
>>58963850
MtF have anxiety disorder, then love social isolation works, like programming, opensource even you could never show you face or real name.
>>
>>58972294
That's right. Since women were doing all of the work back in those days it freed up the time needed for men to invent the modern world we currently live in. Even in the renaissance period, a daughter from a rich family would be forced into servitude so that the boy could have the glory of contributing to science, maths, and other human knowledge pools. Why were men so insecure back then and now? Opression opression opression opression opression opression opression opression opression opression.
>>
>>58965182
>>>/d/
>>
>>58963830

Be mean to them until they leave? I guess. Kill them? might a little overkill.

It is certainly sad to have women in this field.
>>
>>58965335
Only if you're conforming with the contrarian view for the sake of fitting in.
>>
women are too busy playing life on easy mode to give a shit about tech
>>
>>58963850
first reply best reply
[spoiler]male girls are top meme this decade[/spoiler]
>>
>>58969711
lmao

That post basically said that an open system is naturally biased against oppressed groups.
>>
>>58969840
%of population tho.
>>
>>58963830
nothing that can be done on the short term, but the process shouldn't be too hard.

>stop gendering children's toys, activities and dream careers so early
>train career counselors to forget gender altogether and focus solely on academic performance and personal affinity
>take measures to ensure that overwhelmingly male or female fields don't deter anyone from integrating them ("I'm not doing THAT! it's a girl job!!!")
>accept that gender distribution will never be 50/50 in any field and instead opt for a more natural distribution rather than meeting quotas

then we might solve the "problem". honestly, I think we're headed in the right direction.

this is what not to do

>affirmative action. it only makes the established demographic resent the minorities.
>/pol/ tier pseudo-science bullshit. basically most of the shit in this tread
>>
>>58972573
in other words, all of 4chan, ever
>>
>>58964939
>That's assuming that women are indeed less capable then men

THEY'RE LESS INTERESTED

WATCH THIS VIDEO OR DON'T RESPOND TO ME

THERE IS NO POINT HAVING AN ARGUMENT WHEN YOU AREN'T AWARE OF THE BIOLOGICAL FACTS (watch from 22:20 for about 3 minutes):

https://youtu.be/tiJVJ5QRRUE?t=22m17s
>>
>>58972294

>I KNOW I'LL JUST SPECULATE ABOUT THE CAUSES WITH NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER

IT'S TESTOSTERONE

https://youtu.be/tiJVJ5QRRUE?t=22m17s
>>
>>58963830
Make women smarter
>>
We don't need any of your nerdshit
>>
>>58973051
But feminist cry about STEM inequality.
Now say everything is bullshit.
>>
>>58963830
This is trap right?
>>
>>58973051
stfu
>>
>>58973261
no, just a man
a "trap" would imply that it looks like a woman while being a man
>>
>>58973261
trap refers to a male crossdresser.

If you identify as a woman, you cannot call yourself a trap, you're a degenerate.
>>
why is having less women in a particular area of industry a bad thing?

can someone seriously answer this simple question?
>>
>>58973656
and while im at it, there are less men working in cosmetic sales, is this a bad thing? should i be upset that my brothers arent out there making a fortune selling whale puke?
>>
>>58963850
First post literally the best and most accurate post.
>>
>>58973656
Tech and "coding" jobs are seen as cushy high pay, low effort jobs where you work in a skyscraper and produce no value.
It stems from deep seated anti-intellectualism in the US.
People think those nerds are being paid big bucks to do nothing but type some code and women want a piece of the pie, but they get "assaulted" by reality when they realize they're paid a lot because they have very specialized skills that you can't learn in an afternoon, so they try to convince people that they NEED women in their organization even if they can't code.

They just want a high pay, low effort job like everyone else, except they're completely shameless about it.
>>
File: E1292120.jpg (986KB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
E1292120.jpg
986KB, 1728x2304px
>>58963830
These movements to get more women into IT are actually more misogynist than fucking /r9k/. They imply that women can't form their own decisions and decide for a career that they like, instead they need to be pulled in by bling and glitter against their will.

Usually these programs also talk about frontend shit, which is advertised as easy and not at all technical, emphasizing the design component, making frontend ~girl-friendly~. This is why you will find more low-quality women (or rather "women", like Leah) shitting up web dev, while there's very few but very good grown-up women in more technical areas like networking or telco. The latter entered the field out of their own will, because they are actually interested in it.
>>
>>58973781
Very good explanation. You're exactly right

The problem is that these young millennial "men" who come into the industry think that they'll get loads of pussy if they sell out their colleagues on the altar of political correctness, and get them fired so they can be replaced by a woman who isn't even half as good
>>
>>58965051
Except the relation between the items labeled as master and slave cannot be described properly with retarded supposed alternatives such as " primary and replica".
>>
>>58975060
parent
child
>>
>>58975096
Again, the relationship between a parent and a child is not close at all to the relationship between a master and a slave.

Unproductive people who only whine about such trivial matters without any worthwhile contributions should be excluded from open source communities. They are just an unnecessary burden on projects.
>>
File: 332132ewq.png (341KB, 471x361px) Image search: [Google]
332132ewq.png
341KB, 471x361px
>>58964874
>web developer
>understanding systems
>>
Correct it by bringing it down to 1%.
>>
>>58970840
Too much testosterone
>>
>>58963850
rekt
>>
File: Screenshot_20170217-000908.png (719KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170217-000908.png
719KB, 1440x2560px
>>
File: Screenshot_20170217-000916.png (472KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170217-000916.png
472KB, 1440x2560px
>>58978472
Lmfao
>>
get this creature off the front page, seriosly OP why are you posting trannies? fuck off
>>
>>58964875
>social engineering and forced "diversity" are desirable or even acceptable at all
>>
>>58971222
>all pull requests are the same
kill self
>>
File: 1427597470670.jpg (120KB, 634x638px) Image search: [Google]
1427597470670.jpg
120KB, 634x638px
>>58963830
I'm already contributing by not writing open source software.
>>
What can be done about it?

In a certain sense, nothing.

Open source is a male dominated profession, and males, as the privileged class in the open source world, will not be able to check their privilege adequately to implement female-friendly hiring and training processes.

What's needed is not a one-size-fits-all "solution" for the existing male power structure to implement, but for a communist revolution to take place within the free software community, where the female proletariat establishes a dictatorship consisting primarily of diversity advisory committees that will dictate all terms of every open source project, along with required staff demographics, to the male engineers.

As a man, I speak from a privileged position, and thus cannot speak to the specific policies these committees should enact. What I do know is that they should exist, and that we should use our privilege in order to help them rise to power. You may question the wisdom of letting non-programmers run a programming organization, but here you are failing to check your privilege; we supply the code, they are to supply the laws. If you find one of the solutions they demand to be inelegant or impractical, your job is not to question your moral superiors, but rather to sling the code that is needed for their vision of the world to be complete. As coders, our job is to silently support the proletarian revolution, NOT to insist on doing things "our way"; after all, the programming world has been ruled by programmers for far too long, the technologically illiterate are an oppressed minority in our community and therefore must be given complete power over everything.
>>
File: wat.jpg (116KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
116KB, 500x491px
>>58963979
I like you anon
>>
This isn't tech, get the fuck out
Back to pol
>>
>>58972250
>Jesus fuck, this happened ONCE

No its happened multiple times
>>
>>58963830
>expecting wallet vampires to work for free
>>
The problem is, there is no way to correct this. If we started to actively try to keep females from joining, we'll be doing exactly what they want us to do, so that they will be able to make their currently unbiased protests on firm grounds.
We can just let them take over stuff thats pretty much already ruined, such as the Web, and let them do as they like with it. We can just stick to the more technical disciplines, which remain untainted by women.
See, modern shit like ruby, and javascript ""artisans"" are normie shit (obviously), which means it's stuff that drives people with pretty pictures and DA MONI, while dense technical subjects drive them away, for obvious reasons.
My take is let them have this sinking ship and let us move on to the better side of technology.
>>
>>58969711
Why does this look like a 2004 forum
>>
>>58965672
This really makes me think

Why don't women be the change they want to see?
>>
>>58963830

Fire the autistic kids that spend too much time on the internet.
>>
>>58981101
they can't think for themselves, they only do what their peers are doing
>>
>>58969711
Cry baby is easy way to life.
>>
>>58978653
Open source in mostly is make for free, simply women don't want work for free, or search open source friendly company paid for it, prefer goes to private or mananger position and make more money.
>>
>>58981101
On private know STEM is low class work, want begin upper class.
>>
>>58966452
All my kids are getting legos because those were the shit. Loved them.
>>
>>58965054
Interesting. Thank you for posting this.
>>
>>58963830
I may not like Leah Rowe because of how she attacked the FSF for no reason, but the talk she gave at Fosdem 17 made me realize that she is still a compotent developer. She is the reason that I can own and control every single line of code on my x200, and soon on the x220, according to the email she just sent out.

http://ftp.fau.de/fosdem/2017/K.1.105/libreboot.vp8.webm
>>
>>58982491
>she
>>
>>58982491
>She is the reason that I can own and control every single line of code on my x200, and soon on the x220

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>58982515
>>58982545
no need to be condescending just because you're transphobic
>>
>>58982568
>removing blobs makes you a developer

go to bed dude
>>
>>58982515
>>58982545
>>58982568
I may not agree with Leah's descision to be trans, but I think that the wonderful thing about free software is that I don't have to agree with her. The code on my BIOS chip is under the GPL, so I have the right to do whatever I want with it, no matter what the developer does.
>>
File: peepee.jpg (40KB, 640x611px) Image search: [Google]
peepee.jpg
40KB, 640x611px
>>58982568
>>
>>58982589
She is helping to reverse engineer the proprietary parts of Intel ME on the x220, so that we can finally get newer hardware working without nonfree blobs. There is a lot more that goes into Libreboot than just removing blobs.

Libreboot is to Coreboot as Debian is to the Linux Kernel. More components are added and developed to turn it into a working collection of software.
>>
>>58982619
yeah but he burned all her bridges with the FOSS community, so fuck him
>>
>>58963830
"Women" or women?
>>
>>58982632
Well Torvalds has attacked the FSF too, which I don't agree with either. He even called them "clinically insane". I still think that he does good work, even if I don't always agree with him.
>>
>>58982791
Linus never hijacked a GNU project because of gender politics.
>>
>>58982595
rmyt
>>
>>58963830
We wait. There's way more woman studying computer related stuff now than there were only 5 years ago, the "issue" will fix itself in an equal society.

>>58964033
Also this, give it a year and the amount of woman taking programming classes would go through the roof.
>>
>>58972632
>tripfag
>sboiler tag

>>>/v/
>>
>>58964874
And that's why you voted trump?
That's exactly why democracy is a fucking joke.
>>
hopefully the number lowers. women are animals and would fuck up the code base even more harder than it is now.
>>
File: thicccccc trump.png (164KB, 500x604px) Image search: [Google]
thicccccc trump.png
164KB, 500x604px
>>58984294

lel

maybe the democrats should lay off the identity politics bs
>>
File: maximum tipping.gif (2MB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
maximum tipping.gif
2MB, 383x576px
>>58982619
>she
>>58982632
>her
>>
>>58964878
>ywn never have an autistic aussie chink gf that shitposts on her thinkpad
>>
>>58984292
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>58963830
Women are selfish useless cunts?
Color me surprised.
>>
>>58963850
>>
Academic conscription.

Or we could abandon the idea of universal answers and encourage a better society through everyone's actions. Twenty different women who might have otherwise gone into open source programming could have twenty different regrettable reasons for not doing so. Intervening in those moments during their lives to avoid the unpleasant moments is clearly a complex issue. No simple initiatives are going to rectify that effectively.
>>
>>58972012
>probably says way more about people who make their profile gendered then it does anything else

But the "gendered" vs "non-gendered" was based on name and profile picture. Personally, I use my Github as sort of a portfolio, and I include a link on my resume, so I use my real name.

Is using a real name really a negative indicator for quality of contributions?
>>
>>58988725

how many people have their real name vs gendered fictitious name/tons of info in their profile?
>>
>>58973261
That's not a trap. That's an ambush.
>>
>>58973261
That is Leah Rowe, the developer behind libreboot. He is a great programmer, but has some mental issues.
>>
>>58963830
thats a man btw
>>
>>58989915
five star post
>>
>>58963830
block men from contributing until number of lines of code uploaded by either sex is equal
>>
File: 1461456524404.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461456524404.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>58988725
>hacks using github as their CV spamming PRs everywhere are less likely to get their changes merged than talented programmers who don't give a fuck and just want to improve the quality of the software they use
What a surprise.
>>
>>58963850
/thread
>>
File: alien backs clinton.jpg (20KB, 236x257px) Image search: [Google]
alien backs clinton.jpg
20KB, 236x257px
>>58963917
>https://www.redhat.com/en/about/women-in-open-source?sc_cid=70160000000wxWPAAY
In the link, it says "In our Survey" and gives no details as to their methodology, size of the survey, survey questions, or survey data. That makes it basically as scientific as the 10-best-things-to-do-in-the-bedroom articles in the Cosmo or The World Weekly News.

In other words, it's bullshit data. That doesn't mean their number is wrong, it just means that there is no evidence that it's right. For all we know 80% of open source developers are women, and they just don't make a big deal of it, so we'd never know.

So OP, it's not a problem, because we have no numbers.

Go to /pol, and read the sticky. It's all that board is good for.
>>
>>58984999
Nice get. About the same as Trump's golf score (+99 on 18 holes)
>>
>>58963850
10/10
>>
>>58963830
We just need to do the same we do to get more women into the mining industry. Or into the garbage collection service. Or into truck driving. Or into sewage cleaning.
>>
>>58963830
Sell yourself to China
>>
>>58965442
Forcing women and Pajeet into CS is what's causing the horrible job market in computers,IT and development right now.

It would be natural for people here to hate them.

The big nose robs from everyone. Go to any board and you will see the nose trying to take everything they have.
>>
>>58963937
"""""""""""""women""""""""""""""
>>
File: .png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
What can be done to correct this?
b-but anon you want to kill women?
Until you take dangerous jobs you can fuck right off. "equality" really means "give me comfy jobs because I'm a girl"
>>
File: .jpg (637KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
637KB, 2480x3508px
>>58996059
What about these? You want equality right?
>>
File: .png (401KB, 674x7920px) Image search: [Google]
.png
401KB, 674x7920px
>>58996059
Why don't they pick a few from the bottom of this list if they care about it so much?
Think about it, why would they chose technology jobs over these?
>>
>>58996173
For some reason "drillers of earth" is hilarious.
>>
>>58996991
That reason would be autism.
>>
>>58973261
No
Traps are at least attractive enough to pass.
>>
>>58973656
Nobody ever complains about the number of straight men in the fasion industry.

Nor the number of women working in coal mines.
>>
>>58963850
That's very funny. And it literally is probably a substantial percentage.
The nerdier/more autistic the field, the more likely the 'women' are actually men.
In some really nerdy fields, the ratio of traps to women may reach or exceed parity.
>>
>>58964878
who
>>
>>58965827
>implying anon could even get close to her
>>
>>58965051
This is the worst post I've ever read here. Hang your head in shame.
>>
>>58963830
Do it like the USSR.
Just kick out males (ideally throw them in a far away prison to suffer for one or two decades), untill it is 50-50 men women.

This really is the only way.
>>
File: fug.jpg (123KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
123KB, 500x491px
>>58963830
This shit again?
>>
>>58989915
hahahaha
>>
>>58970840
not sure whether you're arguing for or against his point, but this is entirely consistent with what he's saying
>>
>>58975522
>he thinks web is still static HTML/CSS
>>
>>58963830
>take away womens rights
not even joking in india and china they have more female engineers
>>
>>58963830
Stop using literal whores (Barbie, disney princesses) as role models for women and women would probably participate more in CS/engineering. Ever notice how all women in programming are Indian or Chinese? It's because they aren't having their brains deactivated by tacky propaganda.
>>
>>58963830
by making it 2.3%
>>
>>58963850
100% lol, but you're a racist bigot.. if they want to be called wome, you are supposed to call them women
>>
File: bless.jpg (35KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
bless.jpg
35KB, 500x393px
>>58963850
>>
>>58963830
>According to 1 survey,1 only 11% of open source participants are women. Together, we can raise that number.
why? they don't explain how doing so benefits the industry
>>
>>59000777
I want to be called His Lordship Tomahawk Missile then.
>>
>>58963830
Correct what? What is wrong?
>>
>>58964874
I see you watched Hjernevask too. Good show, really activated my almonds.
>>
>>58964934
>>58969840
>especially in America
Literally (I almost never use this word, but here it's true) every single other country up to that date had had slaves. They didn't have more slaves than most and they definitely didn't treat them worse than most. Christ, Persia alone could give lessons on slavery to the US.
>>
>>58965763
>the educational system. Which fails to foster an interest in STEM from an early age (for both boys and girls).
I never had a programmer or IT person in my family except for a distant cousin whom I talk to twice a year, all of my close relatives are from Literature, Journalism and Sociology degrees. I never had any special STEM classes that girls in my class didn't. Most/all of my STEM teachers in school were women. Yet I studied and work in CS.

This "girls aren't fostered into STEM" thing is complete bullshit.
>>
I must have done 200 interviews at my last company, fewer than 10 interviewees were women.

The discrepancy begins earlier, probably even before college, my CS class was only 10% women. Don't go blaming organizations for not having people that don't exist.
>>
>>58963850
/thread
>>
>>58965672
Were that watermark and title really necessary?
>>
>>58963830
Women don't like contributing to things for free out of good will and they also aren't attracted to the fat bearded men in open source projects
>>
>>59003022
I think what he's getting at is, schools don't push STEM or anything really because they're shit, but girls today get blasted with feminist propaganda from a young age. There's no similar conditioning for boys that would make them waste time doing gender studies.

I think getting all this feminist shit out of the public eye would be a good idea, so it'd stop indoctrinating people to waste their time holding signs when they should be working to make their lives better instead of asking other people to make it better.
>>
>>59003027
>>
>>59002971
>>
>>59003027
There's tons of women in STEM in European countries though. I did a Math Masters course in Netherlands and was surprised to see lectures filled with young girls, almost 50/50 split.

I think the reason is it's easier for Euro bitches to get back into the industry after having popped crotch dumplings. This is because child care is very expensive in countries outside Europe where it's almost next to nothing, like Quebec where it's like $10/day.

US women don't finally return to the actual industry until the kid is independent enough to be left alone, but the problem is by then no industry will take her back whereas due to cheap child care in Europe, they can return to the workforce much sooner.

For example my friend's kid's school has a rule that parents must be on time to pick up the kid at exactly 2:30pm or else child services are called. No joke. Since her husband works F/T and can't pick up the kid, she can't work anywhere either or she has to pay for somebody to take custody of the kid at 2:30pm and watch the kid until she gets home from work, which would cost thousands per month as we aren't pajeets and don't live with our grandmothers and cousins all in one house.

In Europe you would have flexible hours to be able to pick up kids, and dirt cheap daycare or other community caregivers who can watch kids for a few hours for just $10 like Quebec.

This is the primary reason I believe in N. America that most women don't pursue these fields because they want to pop babies and realize it would be a waste of time trying to get back into it after being away for too many years. But of course none of us have real data on the issue (including these loud shrill feminist groups) so it's all speculation
>>
>>59007511
I've never understood the white people meme of kicking all your kids out at 18 so they can get eaten alive by society and take on massive debts that they can't pay off just so they can feed themselves.
Meanwhile, in other cultures, having multigenerational households is not only normal, but encouraged, because everyone supports each other however they can.
>>
>>59007619
Depends on the brand of "white people". Southern Europeans (especially Portugal and Spain from whose cultures stem all Latin American cultures) live together, and to a lesser extent Slavs keep their families intact as well. It's basically a Germanic meme.
Thread posts: 244
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.