[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have recently come into possession of this beautiful thing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5196.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5196.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have recently come into possession of this beautiful thing, wat do with it /g/? (2004 eMac)
>>
Wrong board
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/

I'm being 100% legitimately serious btw.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>58894766
It's pretty much useless. The best you can do is hook it up with some drives through firewire and turn it into a homeserver.

At least with the intel macs you could install Windows 7 on it and have a somewhat up to date system. I guess you could try linux.
>>
>>58894811
This
>>
>>58894766
install linux or BSD
install Tiger and OS9
install tenfourfox ans shitpost from it
sell it
>>
>>58894789
>>58894811
>>58894812
>>58894824
>>58894835
What would be the best distribution for 512mb of RAM?
>>
It was completely free btw, so any use I have for it is indefinitely worth
>>
>>58894766
maybe check out the PPC port of openbsd
>>
>>58894974
Debain works fine on my G4's.
But it's seriously fucking trash. I like the things, but you'd get an infinity better experience on a $10 orange pi.
>>
>>58895093
Were you able to get graphics acceleration? On mine, it was too slow to use. BSD variants had black screens.
>>
>>58894974
I ran Debian on 512 and it was tolerable. You can put 2GB of pc-2700 in it, just remove the bottom door. HDDS are a bit of a hassle on thse though if you ever want to change it.
>>
>>58895109
>graphics acceleration
Nigga, ain't no such thing on PPC.
>>
>>58894974
First of all upgrade the ram to 1GB. Should only set you back some $20.

Debian runs well, also try Lubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>58894766
Roll it back to 10.4 and dual boot it with OS 9 if you can
With OpenBSD it would make a nice-looking workhorse/terminal, if you really just want to use it to run free software. But in the end I just find that boring, anything can do that.

My 800 MHz model is mostly for show but mostly because I have other systems fulfilling similar roles, 10.4/OS 9 are still very usable for a lot of tasks and OS 9 especially has an excellently archived software base with all kinds of things to play with.
>>
>>58894766
Throw it in the trash like any other Powerpc powered mac, they're absolutely useless in 2017.

Since there were so many produced, it will never gain a respectable resale price ever.
>>
>>58895163
I bet if I asked you why you thought that way your point would revolve around "muh youtube" in some way or another, it seems all /g/ uses a computer for anymore is mindlessly consuming media.

You can definitely put them to work if you want to. Lots of commercial and free software, modern development tools through tigerbrew, and an actively maintained Firefox port through TFF. Not to mention the *BSDs that give them a completely modern software library if needed.
>>
>>58895155
OS X is fucking useless today.

What tasks are you fucking talking about?
>>
>>58895234
I have 4 different PowerPC machines, if you want to do anything modern with them, forget about it.
If you want to run a archaic version of Photoshop or word processor on it, even a PC clone from 1986 will run it, so PowerPC macs are in the zone of suck when it comes to computing power / software compatibility and iconic(ness).
Basically, PowerPC macs are fucking worthless compared to Pre-Pismo PowerPc PowerBooks, Amiga and the like.

Trust me, when it comes to valuating old computers and retro computing, I know my shit. (shitpost bait)
>>
Hang out with the graybeards in https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/ for epeen
>>
Install Leopard WebKit https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/
Install CorePlayer http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/coreplayer-mobile-os-x
Install Perian for webm http://perian.org
Install Glimmerblocker https://glimmerblocker.org
Install PPC Media Center http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2016/06/new-ppc-media-center-version-6.html

Enjoy your vintage shitposting machine
>>
>>58895267
I usually at least have appropriate versions of Office, Photoshop, and Mathematica on any old Mac I run. For a typical home use case there's really no compelling difference between them and newer counterparts, I think the biggest thing I miss going back and forth from old and new systems is unlimited conditional formatting options in Excel.

The rest of the config depends on whatever I feel like, I use my main G4 system for running a particular emulator and also some occasional musical notation, along with all kinds of toys I picked up from the Garden. It does exactly what it did when it was new that justified the four-figure price tag, and for the most part it will still do much of it perfectly well enough to solve plenty of problems.

>>58895283
>I have 4 different PowerPC machines, if you want to do anything modern with them, forget about it.
Big deal. There hasn't been a significant paradigm shift outside of the web for most of this stuff in decades. At most you're missing out on a few trivial quality of life improvements, you're hardly inhibited from doing what you're doing.
>If you want to run a archaic version of Photoshop or word processor on it, even a PC clone from 1986 will run it, so PowerPC macs are in the zone of suck when it comes to computing power / software compatibility and iconic(ness).
We both know that's an incredibly ludicrous comparison.
>Trust me, when it comes to valuating old computers and retro computing, I know my shit.
I've got around 150 retro systems myself, making them do something useful is half of the fun.
>(shitpost bait)
Ah, I see now.
>>
>>58894766
Burn it, sacrifice it to the computer gods, then kill yourself.
>>
>>58894766
i really liked the look of the eMacs in college

>it's yellowing
damn

i'm not really sure what you could use one for nowadays, they weren't even terribly powerful at the time
might be cool if you could retrofit a modern ITX mobo into it, of course keeping the original CRT
>>
>>58895419
Keeping the CRT would be a bitch, but there are higher resolution flat screen panels at the same aspect ratio that ive seen in a few eMac mods.
>>
>>58895419
Probably shit lighting or just a layer of nicotine, it will clean up nice.

I've rarely seen a mod on those that doesn't look like a shitty hack, as a secondary system they're still alright especially being a DDR model, they just suck shit at web browsing and aren't something you'd want to spend 8 hours at a time on.
>>
>>58894766
I feel physically ill looking at it. It reminds me of living in the Bay Area around that time.
>>
>>58894766
Dualboot OpenBSD and Mac OS X Tiger, set up Classic, and enjoy
>>
>>58895163
>>58895419
>trashing a PowerPC Mac
You people are monsters
>>
>>58895465
swapping out the CRT would make it no longer look or feel anything like an eMac though
yes, it'd be much easier to just scrap the CRT, both for connection and space reasons, but i personally see no point if you don't at least keep the CRT

here's some info;
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-have-decided-to-hack-emacs-crt-to-work-with-any-standard-motherboard.1754089/
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/

just making something work could be a fun project in itself
>>
>>58895393
>I've got around 150 retro systems myself, making them do something useful is half of the fun.
If you really have that many, you would know better to avoid PowerPC macs (2000 and newer) unless you're a piece of shit hoarder that will find any reason to keep garbage stored over at your place.

Although, the PowerBook 12" 2005 keeps a special place in my heart because it was an insanely specced laptop that still had an optical drive and hard drive in such a tiny package, yet still maintains 3-4 hours battery life.
>>
>>58895541
normally i'd agree with you, but this is a common, rather low end, educational machine that doesn't really have much historical significance
also, swapping out the internals doesn't need to be a destructive/permanent operation
at least using the case/keyboard/mouse/crt is better than having it just sit on a shelf gathering more yellow and dust
>>
>>58895558
>>>/global/rules/2
>>
>>58895564
>t. mactoddler
>>
File: imacg4_2002_03-287566.png (1MB, 1024x1256px) Image search: [Google]
imacg4_2002_03-287566.png
1MB, 1024x1256px
>>58895419
Unlike the G3's it has a flat fronted CRT so it's so much easier to replace with an LCD. On top of that getting the CRT's to kick is such a bitch.
All that said
IMAC G4 MASTER RACE
>>
>>58895570
>>>/global/rules/3
>>
>>58895544
>If you really have that many, you would know better to avoid PowerPC macs (2000 and newer)
No, you realize that there's something good and fascinating about each and every platform that compelled someone to build it and other people to buy it. You also realize that being butthurt and partisan about technology you don't like is stupid and childish.

Of course, what would we expect from a dullard that immediately resorts to empty namecalling the second someone calls him out because his depressing negative attitude has no rational basis?
>>
>>58895603
How much does Dell pay you by the hour? Shouldn't you be shitting in the street?
>>
Reminder to report shitposters
>>
>>58895629
>>58895603
>>58895558
>>58895525
I don't see why people get so butt hurt over people discussing what to do with antiquated tech, if you don't like it fuck off, some of the ideas in this thread are cool
>>
>>58895651
It's not really because it's old, it's because it has an Apple logo on it.
>>
>>58895651
It's some dumbass shill with a bunch of VPNs. Don't reply, just report.
>>
>>58895542
>>58895494
>>58895465
>>58895419
I like the idea of a m-ITX build, I'm super tight on money right now though, it'd have to be a budget orientated one
>>
>>58895711
m8, even a current raspberry pi would be faster than the original hardware for many purposes
>>
>>58895709
If you think grabbing free old hardware to tinker with makes me a Mac toddler then you are a complete fucking moron
>>
>>58895723
And?
>>
>>58895738
(((You)))
>>
File: eMAC 001.jpg (784KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
eMAC 001.jpg
784KB, 1800x1200px
>>58895711
You could probably find a cheap new Nano-ITX board or something that would be easier to fit in the weirdo cage if you really wanted to go through it.

Could try fitting the original board into a tiny off the shelf case too, there's some other anon on here who did it with an 800 MHz Quicksilver and it's pretty neat.

Don't listen to this faggot >>58895723 Pi mods are like the lowest effort fucking shit and the idea of some fucking hipster disgracing a desktop-class system (especially a PPC box) for one of those pieces of toddler trash makes my blood boil, at least put something worthy in there or keep it as it is, a Pi would actually probably be just as shit for most things you'd want to do with the end result anyway.
>>
Bow before my PowerMac G4 desktop, fagola. Your educational, raster-shift-riddled toy is a gross parody of the iMac G4. Enjoy no side door to swap hard drives whenever.
>>
File: 1482477528087.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1482477528087.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>58895815
>not having a place in your heart for the Crown Victoria of Macintoshes
>>
>>58895777
simply epic, m'sir
>>
>>58894766
>Leopard

Apple's last decent OS before Lion.
>>
>>58895885
you're boring dude
>>
>>58895908
Stop giving him (You)s, just report every shitpost he makes
>>
>>58895922
it would be nice if they didn't have like a fucking 2 minute cooldown on it
>>
>>58895932
What? Report cooldowns are either 10 or 15 seconds
>>
>>58894766
StepMania.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.