[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this heating element damaged beyond repair?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 101_8842.jpg (659KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
101_8842.jpg
659KB, 2304x1728px
Working on a dishwasher with my Dad and I'd like to have more eyes on this issue than /sqt/ can provide.
>>
I don't see any damage at all
>>
>>58640943
My Dad is saying the scorch marks on the outside of the heating element indicate it is nearly burned through on the inside. That's not accurate?
>>
Heating elements are basically a giant resistor. Test the resistance of the thing with a multi-meter. If it reads infinity or 0ohm the thing is fucked.
>>
>>58640968
Looks like hard water deposits and rust/corrosion to me. Remove it and soak it in a bucket of clr for a half hour.
>>
>>58641000
To do this we would have to remove the element and connect alligator clips to the connectors on the end, right?

That will necessitate turning the dishwasher upside down and removing many parts because the manufacturer gives us a big fuck you for putting the screws to remove it on the other side of the thing.
>>
>>58640968
What? No. That's caused by being a certain distance away from the torch when the pipes were joined.

Why in the hell does your dad think heating a metal pipe up to a couple hundred degrees would cause scorch marks only near the joints and only after a long time of being consistently heated to the same temperature over and over?
>>
>>58641017
It was much much worse before this and was taking up to 2 hours to wash before timing out and giving an error.

This is the third or fourth thing we have had to repair on it. Samsung dishwashers are terrible. Avoid them at all costs.

They have this thing called the Drain Check Valve which was also broken and causing errors. It's a 2 cent piece of rubber that tears in half after a set amount of uses.
>>
>>58641031
You might be able to touch the probes to the element directly. It should have a decent amount of resistance to it.
>>
>>58641057
>It's a 2 cent piece of rubber that tears in half after a set amount of uses.
Maybe spend 20 cents on a better piece of rubber then
>>
>>58640929
I think
>>>/diy/
is a better place for this question
>>
>>58640929
it's toast. sorry.
>>
File: 1388634469259.gif (3MB, 365x341px) Image search: [Google]
1388634469259.gif
3MB, 365x341px
>not having a home warranty to cover this shit
>not having a warranty on it in general
>fixing old busted out of date shit you know nothing about
>two men can't handle a dishwasher
>not harassing Samsung to get a free upgrade instead

Both of you are dumb.
>>
File: s-l300[1].jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300[1].jpg
6KB, 300x300px
>>58641075
Alright, will try.

The error we are getting is "high temperature heating error" based off of the blinking lights. We have already replaced the thermistor, and now run CLR and Lemi Shine calcium remover through the dishwasher. The heating element is much cleaner now than it was but the error is still occurring.

There may be one other sensor to replace. Something called the Assy-ECS sensor. Could this be it?
>>
>>58641122
We did have a warranty but it expired. Guess we should have bought that extended warranty, eh Herschel?
>>
>>58641082
I have thought about taking the old one and attaching a chain between the two pieces and seeing how that works.
>>
>>58641142

When buying Samsung appliances you're dumb not to have a warranty on it. Like i also said you should harass Samsung about it. You should also sort out your hard water since that is not good for anything.
>>
File: 01548527[1].jpg (64KB, 750x587px) Image search: [Google]
01548527[1].jpg
64KB, 750x587px
You also have to clean this piece of shit part every few months because grime gets in there and blocks the photogate sensors that monitor the water level. It's a pain to take apart and clean.

This problem could have been solved a half dozen easier ways.
>>
>>58641193

Don't buy over engineered chink shit unless you get warranties or have money out the as to just replace shit.
>>
File: s-l300[1].jpg (11KB, 300x284px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300[1].jpg
11KB, 300x284px
>>58641177
We do have a calcium filter similar to this one running to it but it doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job.
>>
>>58641130
Actually on testing the heating element you may have to test it from the connection to really verify that it's *not* broken.

This is not really something I'm familiar with, you might not find anyone familiar with this on here to be honest.

I'd say test the element and if it's likely not that then it may be a sensor or it could be a problem with the control board itself.
>>
>>58641246
Any suggestion on a better brand of dishwasher to buy?
>>
>>58641101
Fuck no, this is technology. We need more threads about dishwashers n' air conditioners n' shit.
>>
>>58640929
>samshits overheating
Kek
>>
>>58641276
I general I think avoiding any Korean or Chinese company is a good idea. I don't really know what brands are generally good but it looks like Whirlpool(also owns Maytag) is generally ranked pretty well.
>>
>>58641057
can't even buy a toaster from these fucking moon people
>>
>>58640929
it has calcium deposit clr that shit

it not heating? gotta look at the fucker that's feeding it. dig deeper and post pics. unless you don't know how electricity works and cant shut off the power and de-energize the caps. in that case you should livestream that shit
>>
>>58641534
> unless you don't know how electricity works and cant shut off the power and de-energize the caps. in that case you should livestream that shit

I DO know how that works and it's actually closer to my wheelhouse of knowledge on these sort of things. I can test and replace the caps if need be and perhaps save a lot of money in the process. I should have already though to this, thanks for bringing it to light anon.
>>
>>58641616
yezzir np do it up

livestream it you hoe
>>
YOU HAVE TO PRECLEAN YOUR DISHES YOU FAT LAZY FUCKS.

Alternatively you can buy a hobart
>>
>>58640968
Got bad news for ya. Your dads not too bright.
>>
>>58640929
>not replacing the default washer firmware with gnu+Linux
>complaining when it breaks
>>
>>58642420
>>58640968
Better replace these old Dad with a better one. Look at the Walmart, next to the AR-15.
>>
>>58641276
American made duh
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.