[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 40

File: stupid_genius.jpg (8KB, 292x266px) Image search: [Google]
stupid_genius.jpg
8KB, 292x266px
>>58403749
Old Thread

This this is for questions that don't need their own thread.

Spend at least a few minutes on Google before posting a question to help trim the fat.
>>
File: wave.png (14KB, 876x234px) Image search: [Google]
wave.png
14KB, 876x234px
I'm wondering why it is that 5GHZ WiFi is faster (or has more throughput?) than 2.4GHz WiFi. I suppose it has higher "bandwidth", but I'm not exactly sure why that translates to higher bitrates.

Also, I've read that 5GHz WiFi is more susceptible to interference from walls and such. Why do 5GHz waves have a more difficult time traveling through solid objects than 2.4GHz waves?
>>
>>58419497
>Got 2 Monitor
>One 144Hz Gaymen TN, one 60Hz IPS (Both 24 inch, the TN actually has better colors/blacks than the IPS)

I want to replace the IPS one, what do you guys recommend in €200-300. Also does Freesync worth it? Got an R9 390.
>>
Can NEETs get girlfriends? Are there college age girls who just want to hang out at a NEETs parents house with the NEET bf?
>>
>>58419524
Throughput is theoretically higher with 5Ghz.

The real difference is made when it's crowded with other access points on 2.4 GHz.

5GHz attenuates more through walls. If you have connection problems at places in your house futher from your AP then I'd recommend 2.4Ghz

The higher attenuation is precisely why you will see less 5GHz APs in range and why 5GHz can work better when close enough to your own AP.
>>
>>58419646

Only very young girls. They will leave you when they find out you are nog going to increase their status.
>>
After I put my PC to sleep, within time of ~30 minutes it turns back on for 5-30 seconds, then goes back to sleep by itself.
What's the reason for it?

I'm running win10, AMD gpu, 6600k if tht matters..
>>
Used a ps2 - hdmi converter with my monitor and it says hdmi out if range. Is this due to the resolution the ps2 is outputting? Any help?
>>
>>58419646
Women are generally atracted to driven and motivated men. But hey, there's 3,5 billion girls on this planet, some of them must be desperate enough to go for it. Many other factors can come into play to, like similar interests, good personality, maybe you're really good in bed (that's unlikely), so I'd say it's not impossible, just not very likely to get a nice gf. Best you can hope for is chubby NEETgirl.
>>
>>58419780

>win10
>>
What's an example of an apPlication where following the ACID design pphilosophy would be more beneficial over that of BASE?
>>
>>58419524
>5GHz attenuates more through walls

I understand that, but I don't understand exactly why. Why do 5GHz electromagnetic waves have a harder time traveling through solid objects than 2.4GHz waves?
>>
>>58419957

It's just a property of the object's material to absorb certain wave lengths more.
>>
>>58420050
So, if my house were built out of a certain material, would it be possible that 2.4GHz waves would attenuate less through the walls than 5GHz waves?
>>
>>58420098

Yes. Just like a house of glass absorbs less visible light then a brick house.

I have no idea, however, what material would attenuate 2.4 GHz more than 5.
>>
File: I'm a com-pu-tah.png (448KB, 1021x668px) Image search: [Google]
I'm a com-pu-tah.png
448KB, 1021x668px
>>58420112
Thanks bruh.
>>
what's a good voice recorder app?
>>
>>58420217

Win10

Just ask Microsoft for the transcript.
>>
My air conditioner is broke and the next week is going to be 40+ degrees Celsius. How can I stop my computer from overheating?
>>
>>58420437

underclock and undervolt it. Remove GPU and don't play vidya until it cools.
>>
Can i power this screen
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181909486149
with this cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231181401394
without fucking up the screen?
>>
>>58420437
Fans
>>
I have been trying to cluster my old computers but every tutorial I find is hard as fuck to understand
maybe its because I lack the basics

Can you guys suggest me a book to understand this topic?
>>
>>58419497
I can't fucking find the 4chan Tomorrow theme. Is it because i have 4chan X installed?
Fuck, I feel retarded. I looked in settings/Misc, still nothing.
>helpls
>>
Is it possible to have a system be all in one when it comes to network security? Or are having separate devices doing separate things more efficient?
Example being: have one device being the VPN/Firewall/adblocker/host a website/act as a switch for main systems? Which is more secure, I'm really just trying to avoid paying thousands for separate embedded devices
>>
What are some good e-mail providers? I'm thinking Protonmail. Anything else? No cock.li please.
>>
>>58420593
dont open any settings shit, just scroll all the way down and look on the right bottom
>>
>>58420628
you're my nigga, thanks.
>>
>>58420437
Move to civilization where its winter time you aussie pleb.
>>
Why is PCI-E not PnP? Is there anything preventing anyone from implementing PnP on it? I find it retarded having to shut down my PC to plug in various x2 and x4 devices.
>>
>>58420776

You're acting like shuting down and booting takes more than 30 seconds combined.

Also, that's not a question but a rant. Fuck off.
>>
>>58420776
PCI bus devices are are enumerated when the motherboard POSTs.

No POST, no PCI device detection.
>>
>>58420818
Try 2-3 minutes excluding the work needed to remove the side panel, putting the PCI-E card inside, and screwing it down, then putting the side panel back, twat.

>>58420826
Thank you!
>>
So a couple weeks ago I was playing Dark Souls 3. I was getting a decent framerate but my gpu was getting super hot and my fans were going like crazy. I decided to replace the thermal paste on the gpu and then my temps dropped. Now, out of the blue, when I start DS3 I get really low frames. It's like the card isn't "getting up to speed" quick enough. By the time my framerate gets up, the game has already booted me into offline mode for low frames. Any ideas what the issue might be?
>>
I want to buy a virtual private server or cloud and spread the resources for my multiple websites. Basically I want to spread the servers resources and attach them to different domains.
My question, how can I learn this? What can I read, watch, what is this topic even called?
>>
>>58419793
Bump
>>
I'm running Win8.1 on a laptop. It runs fine at all times that aren't the first five-ish minutes after logging in, at which point keyboard input lags to hell and back. There's no issue when typing my password after a reboot, and the mouse is completely unaffected. The onscreen keyboard doesn't help. I've tried disabling all my startup programs, but that doesn't help. Any ideas?
>>
>>58421093
Don't turn it off
>>
File: 1468942641864.png (121KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1468942641864.png
121KB, 2000x2000px
what is a decent non-botnet/non-prism alternative to evernote?
>>
>>58421122
Thanks for telling me what I already know. The laptop gets plenty of sleep.

However, Windows updates and shit cause reboots, so I tend to reboot about once a month. I guess I should reword my question: Any ideas what's causing the issue?
>>
I would like a VPN for my internet. I torrent, play games, browse the web, etc. I don't know where to start though. Any suggestions?
>>
>>58420230
android is my overlord and google is stingy with transcripts
>>
Is Firefox still worth using or should I find an older version to install? Just bought a new laptop.
>>
File: 1482465618794.jpg (351KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482465618794.jpg
351KB, 1000x900px
Would anyone here happen to know some things about hardware exceptions, on ARM specifically even? Is it accurate to say that poking the IRQ input would cause an IRQ exception? As well as FIQ with its respective input, etc?.. If so, how would one trigger an undefined instruction via hardware? is that what jtag is for? or is jtag sandboxed somehow?
>>
I'm using my computer for gaming and VM (with VMware Workstation).
Is this a good idea to build my next computer with an Hypervisor (so better VM performance) or the gaming will be too much impacted ?

Which hypervisor would you recommend ?
Hyper-V is pretty neat for the small experience I have.
>>
>>58420601
Anyone?
>>
>>58422094
The port of Steam is blocked in my university...
What are some good free VPN services?
>>
>>58421191
Not turning it off
>>
I have 55mbps internet, but 2MB/s torrent speed even when there's 5000 seeders available

I should be getting 6.5MB/s

What's wrong?
>>
is2.4chan.org is slow as fuck, while images from is.4chan.org load normally. Any way I can automatically get all images from is.4chan.org instead of getting some from one and the rest from the other? Using Linux, if that matters.
>>
I'm looking for a laptop being able to do most things.
I can buy a version of this https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15-au147cl-Touchscreen-i7-7500U/dp/B01N1FYI9K/

-> with an i5-6300 ; 16 Go DDR4 ; GTX960 ; 1 To HDD + 128 Go SSD (which is enough for me)

-> 750$

Is there something better coming near ? Does /g/ still throw up at the simple mention of HP ?
>>
This is dumb as hell. I just installed ubuntu, and I have tried several keyboard layouts. Yet, when I attempt to type the pipe symbol I produce the following: <<<<< or >>>>>, depending on whether shift is pressed or not.

Any solutions? Google has been no help
>>
File: 1478452585125.png (568KB, 463x451px) Image search: [Google]
1478452585125.png
568KB, 463x451px
learning python. Anything useful I can make that doesn't involve gui
>>
>>58422763
OP here, I found a decent work around.

Go to text entry, keyboard settings, then typing, and change the Alternative Characters Key to on (your key of choice). This allows you to type | when the key is held.

It still sucks since you lose some functionality.
>>
>>58422763
What happens if you try AltGr + the symbol?
>>
>>58423030
I am not sure what that is. I am using a US Keyboard, and under the layout it looks correct. Yet, the key produces the wrong characters.
>>
I'd like to make a backup of my important data.
What's the best thing I can buy reliability/price per GB ?
>>
Is there any language I can both code in and compile on Android?

Also I'd like to be able to use and compile it on Windows as well.
>>
I recently got a Moto G4 with Android version 6.0.1.

How do I select multiple text messages for deletion? I can seemingly only delete one or the whole thread. I can't even find a "lock" option to keep the ones I want and delete the rest.
>>
Are there any low impact programs for windows that allow me to save the last X minutes of gameplay on hotkey press? Shadowplay only allows me to record in fullscreen mode (which is a pain since I run a multi monitor and like to tab out in between matches or rounds and won't be able to see when I need to go back to the game again) OR requires me to put activate Aero for desktop capture which tanks my framerate something fierce.

I don't wanna stream, I don't wanna record terrabytes of footage, I just want that "save last X minutes" feature
>>
Is this thing supposed to be shit?

It has good reviews but mine has packet loss with only 5 devices connected and I have to limit torrent connections to 20 max or it shits itself.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if I got a faulty one.
>>
Which laptops better?

hp 17-x100na or New Inspiron 17 5000
>>
Hey /g/ I can't decide if I should get a 1070 to replace my 770 2GB. I have 2 1080p monitors. and the 770 does me well in pretty much all respects except for the VRAM, but I've found a 1070 for £360 so I'm thinking I should take the offer whilst I can. It'd last me at least 2 or 3, right?
>>
>>58423920
Is that the 5 or 6? You can install OpenWrt on the 5, but you'll need a soldering iron.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a
>>
>>58423920
Oh and they're supposed to be good.
>>
>>58423920
Are you participating in that homehub hotspot bullshit? You might have some parasites poncing your connection.
All those BT hotspots are in fact customer routers, i believe it's an opt out service.
You'll lose the ability to use other's hotspots but in turn they lose yours.
>>
>>58422852
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
>>
File: 1372420150572.png (142KB, 415x367px) Image search: [Google]
1372420150572.png
142KB, 415x367px
>>58419497

Retard who doesn't understand networking here.

For work related reasons I'm away from home >50% of the time and the dorm I live in finally got covered with wifi.
So I subscribed and got myself an adapter, but it turns out the hotspot is public and unencrypted.
I asked the ISP about it and they answered it's like that to let people connect short term after they send a text payment and receive a temporary login, and it's not gonna be encrypted, ever - but the network has client-to-client forwarding disabled.

How fucked am I, realistically, if I'm going to be using this for everything?
Should I get a VPN? Or is it enough to check for a certificate before I login into internet banking and shit?

tl;dr how suicidal is it to use unencrypted wifi network 24/7?
How much less fucked am I if the network restricts client-to-client forwarding?
>>
>>58422540
modify your hosts file to have is2.4chan.org point to the ip address of is.4chan.org

>>58423267
SMR drives, but note that they are WORM (write once, read many)

>>58424305
Use a VPN on any network you don't trust fully (ie. you setup yourself). Even AES2 Personal is relatively easy to break as part of the encryption relies on the same hash. Only way to be safe on a shared wifi network that you don't trust fully is to use AES2 Enterprise which relies on 802.1x via RADIUS.

Also ensure that any network you connect to uses AES2 CCMP and not TKIP, since the latter is not cryptographically safe.

Source: Am CCIE-certified network engineer at tier1 SP.
>>
>>58424426
Forgot this: Of course you're not safe from whoever runs the network even if they use AES2 CCMP Enterprise, as they can still tcpdump your traffic on the router as the traffic passes by. If you need full privacy, get a L2TP/IPsec VPN or OpenVPN that supports AES-128-GCM.
>>
>>58424426
Thank you anon (SMR guy)
>>
>>58424502
Just as a precaution, it needs to be said that WORM really means just that. Never try to overwrite data on a WORM drive. Once it's full, put it on a shelf and get a new one. Make sure to use labeling.
>>
I have a "non-smart" TV and I want to watch a x265 video from my One plus e on the big screen. How?
>>
I got a job offer that I'm pretty sure is shit, but I just want to know what it is

The fk does FSO mean in FSO desktop support?
>>
>>58424587
I'm not aware of any phones that play HEVC, so I'm gonna say that you don't.
>>
>>58424646
a LOT of phones support HEVC playback, the oneplus one included.
>>
Is there any way to make the "pi-fan" (30mm) to be more quiet?
A way that is simple.

Like instead of the 4500-6000rpm, have it go at like 300-800rpm?
>>
>>58424646
>>58424670

Yeah my OP3 can play it flawlessly in VLC I just mentioned x265 as I have a Blu-ray player attached to the TV but it can only play x264.

I had a look at USB to HDMI and Chromecast but they don't seem to be able to perform what I'm after.. playing a video from the OP3 use the phone CPU to process and output on the non-smart full HD TV. Please help!
>>
Does using Tor browser on a virtual machine (OpenSUSE) increase my security?
>>
>>58424870
>using hardware virtualization for software isolation
What you should do is put Kali Linux on a USB disk and boot from that when you need to use tor.
>>
>>58424718
Reduce voltage. You might not be able to go that low though.
>>
>>58424912
Kali is not secure. Use Qubes or Tails.
>>
>>58425015
Source? Not that I disbelieve you, anonposters usually have less reason to lie than other posters, but I'm more interested in how it's not secure.

I only run tor on openbsd on burner hardware that I bought with cash money (not credit card) in a city I don't live in specifically for the reason of running tor.
>>
>>58420494
Yeah, as long as the DC plugs are the correct size, and polarity, some are negitive center, others are negative outside. Get a volt meter and measure the plugs polarity and reference the part sheet of the controller and see if they match.
>>
>>58422258
Your limited by how fast everyone else uploads, so if there is 1000 people at .001mb/s the you only get 2mb/s total.
>>
>>58425128
There's also the fact that a lot of the block lists are now out of date now, or simply block more than they're supposed to.
>>
File: poweradapter.png (194KB, 416x286px) Image search: [Google]
poweradapter.png
194KB, 416x286px
There was an outage of electricity and then a spike in my house. The modem got screwed, my phone got screwed and my desktop computer started to smoke and now it doesnt start. Is it propably just the psu that got burned? Or did the current would it have affected the mobo or something else too? I dont have spares of anything.
>>
>>58425327
Depends on how big the spike was and the quality of your PSU. If you had a good PSU, it should have offered at least a degree of protection, so most likely just the PSU got fucked. No guarantees, though.
>>
>>58425327
If the phone and modem got screwed, there's a fair chance the network cable gave your mobo a zap. I couldn't rule out either part without testing.
>>
>>58425327
Does your PSU have surge protection?
>>
>>58424009
Don't worry about this, I bought it thanks to peer pressure. HYPE!
>>
>>58425447
>>58425446
>>58425445
It wasn't mine really. The computer (pre-fabricated one) belongs to my aunt but I was wondering if I could just buy her the psu and fix it. I wont bother because all her electric shit got destroyed and if there's a chance other component might be damaged there's no need to waste money.

Thanks.
>>
File: kz szt.jpg (72KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
kz szt.jpg
72KB, 900x900px
What are these type of cables called? What is this connector type?
>>
>>58427734
They're proprietary
>>
>>58427734
Schuko
>>
File: IMG_0001.png (408KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001.png
408KB, 1536x2048px
Hey, can i connect Y splitters to the fan headers in the pic and run a total of four fans without Andy issues?

Let's assume the fans are rated at 1,56 W and 12 V
>>
File: AIMP 4.png (48KB, 1501x856px) Image search: [Google]
AIMP 4.png
48KB, 1501x856px
Why the fuck did no-one tell me this existed?

It's always poobar,musicpee or clelentine
>>
How do you reinstall or extract files from an install.esd or from a .wim file? i deleted cortana and didnt made a backup, i want it back because my search bar isnt working
>>
4k screens that are good?
>>
why is firefox slower and heavier after every update? good alternatives?
>>
File: 1483501390641.jpg (212KB, 506x632px) Image search: [Google]
1483501390641.jpg
212KB, 506x632px
My uni transitioned from a free guest wifi setup, to a setup that requires you to create a guest account using an email and phone number that you have to confirm before being allowed access to the guest wifi, and the account only lasts 10 hours. The only other option I have to access wifi is through the student wifi, which requires you to download a third-party program that sends information about your internet usage back to the uni.

Is there any way I can get access to the wifi without letting them keep a record that can be directly tied to me, or am I fucked? I've used the uni's guest wifi to torrent shit in the past because it's literally 100x+ better than the wifi speeds I get at my house, but now I can't even log in without some kind of account or without letting them monitor my traffic. What should I do, /g/? Also, I don't have a smartphone and spend 8 hours on campus on any given day, so I really, really need access to some sort of wifi.
>>
>>58428564
>Is there any way I can get access to the wifi without letting them keep a record that can be directly tied to me,
Not unless they messed it up. If they implemented their shit competently, what you want is out.
>>
File: 1477187384555.jpg (100KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477187384555.jpg
100KB, 700x800px
On my phone, the top left part of the screen is basically coming undone. It's right where the proximity and motion sensor is, so it's messing me around when I'm in the middle of a call (Can't press key pads because Dialer turns the screen off by default). I'm pretty sure it's the glue coming undone a little and I just need to heat it up and press down on it; But I only have a personal heater, not an actual heat gun. I tried using the personal heater and holding it for 3 minutes and then applying pressure on the corner for 5 minutes and a minute after it'll pop right back up again.

It got hot enough I couldn't push the glass down without a piece of fabric or something in between because it was really hot, but is this actually hot enough to even melt the glue under the glass? Should I keep it next to the heater for longer?
>>
>>58427857
Yes, no problem. Those ports just supply power, and they don't give a shit how much crap you plug into them.
>>
>>58428605
>what you want is out.
5 months left, anon. Also, they can't have done it too competently, since the last time they made changes to the network, 4chan.org was blocked, but boards.4chan.org/(board) was not. I don't even mind using my student account, but I just don't want them to be able to see the actual content of the traffic.
>>
>>58428661
Well, you could use a VPN.
>>
>>58428695
But will that be secure enough?
Like, what is the most private option I have left, at this point?
>>
>>58424642
Sounds low...
ask to know what they do day to day/what systems they use/support
who knows, perhaps it could be a school for you and build up a resume like that
>>
>>58419497
Is there a con to placing a power conditioner on top of my PS4? Overheating, electrical issue, anything?!

Trying to rearrange my setup and this would be optimal
>>
Is the way GNOME integrates with Firefox a security risk? I want to use GNOME but I feel like the need for third party extensions and Firefox integration is just a huge security flaw
>>
why does manjaro's logo look like the stupid flag from that NIN album
>>
File: 1475900577625.png (426KB, 439x330px) Image search: [Google]
1475900577625.png
426KB, 439x330px
i want to go full linux but the best painting/animation tools i know are on windows.

any good non-gimp programs to use? also any good equivalent to indesign?
>>
>>58428953
I'm already working, it's more a confusion over understanding nomenclature then interest in the work itself
I did some digging on the company itself and apparently they do low level hourly support. No bueno.
>>
What should I learn in order to get an it support/specialist position?
What kind of skills (and certs if any) do you guys recommend?
>>
File: 4chan.org.jpg (30KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.org.jpg
30KB, 720x480px
Other than external hard drives and usb, what benefits from being plugged into a normal USB 3.0 slot?
>>
I'm going to purchase a second monitor tomorrow, might want to get a third.

I do have a lot of money to spend, but how much will I really NEED it?
>>
>>58433882
Video capture devices come to mind
>>
how do i buy a website domain without going through a registrar? can i just cut out the middleman? why do some sites charge $14.99 and others $.99 for the same exact domain? also why do they only let you rent the domain for a year, instead of buying it outright forever?
>>
>>58434227
Make your own registrar and get accredited.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-statement-2012-02-25-en#IIA
>>
I'm thinking of replacing my 280 with a 480. When's a good time to upgrade GPU? Should I just wait another generation? I'm pretty inexperienced in this area.
>>
>>58434275
>https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-statement-2012-02-25-en#IIA

thanks, looks like its a lot of trouble, guess i wont be going that route. why doesnt icann let me register my domain with them? i guess i am just confused why there is a master list of domains that are available but the people who keep the list dont let you register through them
>>
Are curved monitors a meme?

Should I opt for one for my 1060 gaming machine or go with a regular straight screen?
>>
>>58434304
I'm getting a 480 tomorrow.

I have a Sapphire Radeon 6670 so I've been taking forever to get my next GPU.
>>
>>58434329
They're a meme.
>>
What are my option to run windows along side linux without dual booting?
Can windows be installed to a USB flash drive then boot from there?
Or VM is my only option?
>>
Can I create a vector of iterators of that vector in C++ using STL?
>>
Is there any bad effects of having a "blow down" cooler in a regular ATX tower case?

I like the aestethics of those coolers, especially if you have a side panel window

>pic related: not my computer
>>
>>58434360
I think I play too many video games to have as much patience as you do. I do wonder if it's a little early to upgrade, though, even if there are some games I want to play that get some serious drops even on low.
>>
>>58419547
Keep both resolutions the same in case you want to do local splitscreen with someone, and have a PWM-free IPS for comfy working. 60 Hz is okay for casual gay multiplayer.
>>
I'm 12 and what's a good algebra textbook?
>>
is paying for edx courses a meme? I feel like it will show a level of dedication beyond just completing my degree with poor grades?
>>
Several months ago I traveled to a different country and was subsequently given captchas depicting street signs from that country.

Recently I traveled again and was given street signs from the exact city I was at. It is a minor city and really not a place you would expect. I only browse 4chan in private tabs that are never logged into my Gmail account.

Am I wrong to think this is bordering on creepy from Google?
>>
why is stumpwm the best window manager?
>>
>>58434703
Shut up.
>>
>>58434777
stupid xmongoloid
>>
>>58434800
I'm using Ubuntu's Unity, because my computer is a tool for doing stuff, not just a toy ;)
>>
>>58434815
enjoy your training wheels faggot

real hackers understands the value of fully customizable wm
>>
studying regexs, an exercise had me do a regex that matches a string with at least 8 chars where at least one of them was not an alphanumeric or underscore.

^(?=.*\W)(.{8,})$ matches that.

If I'm getting this right, ^(?=.*\W) is saying that after the beginning of the string there must be a \W character and (.{8,})$ matches any sequence of 8 non line breaking chars.

But lets say instead of having this last group, i had (\w{8,})$, making the regex ^(?=.*\W)(\w{8,})$

I thought this would match a string with sequence of 8 word characters after a non word character, but it doesn't seem to match anything, can anyone explain to me why that happens?
>>
I had a bunch of unsaved text documents open in notepad in windows 10 when It dedided to retstart and update and I lost all of them, any way to restore that data, even if it's via a data recovery service I have to pay for?

Also, how can I disable this for the future?
>>
>>58434964
Oh, I also had firefox tabs open I need to recover
>>
>>58419497
Alright guys, here's a stupid question.
I have a Cryorig H7, but it's missing a single screw for mounting.
Should I attempt to mount it with three screws, or will that result in absolutely frying my i7 4790k
(I was a bit scared to install this thing, it's my first time building and I got stuck for quite a while and fried a mobo before already because forgot spacers)
>>
Is there a way to make windows cmd open on startup?
>>
File: 240px-Dell_Logo.svg.png (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
240px-Dell_Logo.svg.png
11KB, 240x240px
Is dell botnet, /g/?
>>
File: 1450580928281.jpg (235KB, 1051x1416px) Image search: [Google]
1450580928281.jpg
235KB, 1051x1416px
I use a laptop running linux as everyday machine.
But sometimes I need to use windows application and WINE don't run those very well.
What would be better solution than dual booting?

1. Running a windows VM? How does the virtualization software handles drivers for other peripherals?

2. Installing windows to USB flash drive then boot from it whenever I need?
>>
>>58435546
3. Install Windows on a separate partition
>>
>>58434677
Probably just coincidence, but if there's any company that knows absolutely eveything about you, it's Google.

>>58435127
Put a shortcut to it in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

>>58435303
Used to work for Dell a number of years ago - they're not exactly great since they'll switch out components without changing their internal database identifiers, so you can't rely on getting the right components if you want say an Intel NIC instead of a Realtek one.

That said, if you wipe the Windows install with a brand new one, it's not that bad.

>>58435546
hardware virtualization to solve an issue of software virutalization isn't smart - put windows on a flash drive, like you suggest.
>>58435562
>>58435546 said dual-booting isn't what they want
>>
>>58430969
Krita is pretty good, don't know one for indesign.
>>
>>58432320
Probably Cisco CCNA and/or derivatives, and pick up a book on Windows Server to learn about AD.
>>
File: 1450593727780.jpg (138KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1450593727780.jpg
138KB, 960x960px
>>58435562
That's dual booting.
>>58435570
>hardware virtualization to solve an issue of software virutalization
Do you mean I need to install drivers to the host and the guest?
>put windows on a flash drive
Does it have to be Win8.1/10?
Or I can use WES7? Also there is an ISO that claims to be a Live Win 7 that can be burned to USB, how trustworthy is that?
>>
File: fuck.png (842KB, 1084x583px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
842KB, 1084x583px
My laptop screen is fucked at the bottom as you can see, but the weird thing is that the black part slowly moves around once in a while, there used to be just a little black at the bottom and a lot at the top left, but now the top left is completely clear and works fine, but the bottom right looks like this.

Anything I can do to get it to disappear completely?
>>
>>58435605
What do you have against dual booting? It's the best solution.
>>
>>58435590
CCNA isn't worth the paper that the cert is printed on, nowadays. CCIE or bust.

>>58435605
>Do you mean I need to install drivers to the host and the guest?
No. You're looking to run a single application, and your solution is to virtualize a full hardware stack, which means giving up cpu cycles, dram and diskspace to the guest os, so the host os has zero control over them.

Windows 7 can run off a USB flash disk just fine (you don't 'burn' an iso to it; nomenclature is that you "write an image"), though you'll be looking for creating a windows 7 portable usb disk - though I do recommend using USB3 rather than USB2 since it's a lot faster.

>>58435668
He might have a small SSD, and not be willing to give up diskspace for it.
>>
File: 1463281306758.jpg (81KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1463281306758.jpg
81KB, 640x1136px
>>58435668
Terrible past experience mostly.
Also It would mean I need to re-partition my HDD.
Not to mention installing windows after linux create so many issues.
>>58435681
>creating a windows 7 portable usb disk
This?WinToUSB
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124
What about activating it?
>Virtualization
What about installing a printer to the VM?
For example I have a printer that doesn't run under linux, but windows run it perfectly.
Can't I use install it on the VM and it will run?

Sorry for my stupid questions, and thanks for replying.
>>
>>58435728
It's free for personal use provided you don't need to work with enterprise-licensed (MSDN/Enterprise editions).

Virtualization is essentially the host os lying to the guest os about the hardware it's presenting, so anything inside the guest os is a completely seperate enviroment unless you turn on stuff like shared folders, bridged networking, and similar and will run as if it's running on its own hardware (except not at full speed, because virtualization always has a cost in terms of cpu cycles).
>>
>>58435759
>It's free for personal
So I just use this application with any Win7 ISO?
>>
File: 1472683378905.jpg (141KB, 750x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1472683378905.jpg
141KB, 750x1072px
>>58435759
>urn on stuff like shared folders, bridged networking, and similar
I see.
So which virtualization application would be better to use in these cases?
QEMU+Virt-manager or VirtualBox?
>>
File: 71V53vTiVhL._SL1500_.jpg (122KB, 1300x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71V53vTiVhL._SL1500_.jpg
122KB, 1300x1500px
>>58435788

I'll just quote my whole post here:

>I tried swapping my old CPU with an i7 6700k and exhibited the following symptoms:

>>won't fully boot any os, throws page fault or similar errors
>>reboots randomly even in UEFI
>>reboots during memtest, sometimes quickly throws an error before rebooting
>>in uefi CPU and temps look good

>>PC worked perfectly before, have had it for almost a year, memtest and everything ran fine. If I pop in the old cpu is works fine also.

>The fuck should I do? Is the CPU bad?

Asus H110 plus d3 mobo btw
>>
>>58435774
That's what I assume. I haven't done stuff like this since BartPE was actively maintained, so about 10 years ago.

>>58435790
There isn't really that big of a difference, but I haven't used Virt-manager on linux (whatever that is). I run bhyve and chyves on FreeBSD.

>>58435810
If you've crosstested with another CPU (and you have), it's definitely a faulty CPU - My guess is it's had an ESD, those can fuck with CPUs something fierce.
>>
>>58435810
What's your OS?
Try running a live linux session, if you get kernel panic it will tell you if it's faulty CPU.
>>
>>58435810
>combining k cpu with a h110
damn anon, why
>>
>>58435852
yeah, that's what I get. what's an ESD?

>>58435854
it seemed sufficient at the time, I'm sorry, anon
>>
Recently got into Linux and I can't understand all this terminal shit. I'm trying to overclock my Qnix monitor, which works fine on Windows and I know the settings and shit it runs at. There's instructions for doing this but I just can't figure shit out, how do I understand all this terminal shite?
>>
>>58435882
http://www.howtogeek.com/140679/beginner-geek-how-to-start-using-the-linux-terminal/
>>
>>58435874
>ESD
Electrostatic discharge.
>>
>>58435874
Electro-static discharge. Tends to affect computer hardware in inconsistent ways.

>>58435852
Anon has already had it crash in memtest86+, CPU is RIP.
>>
File: 1422717514471.jpg (2MB, 2526x3636px) Image search: [Google]
1422717514471.jpg
2MB, 2526x3636px
I got some modified windows ISOs from torrents.
How do I make sure it's not malware?
Is there a site like virus total that would scan files over 128 MB?
>>
>>58435926
check the file hash against an original one.
since you got it from torrents it's probably malware anyway.
>>
>>58435926
lol
>>
File: 1484039444788.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1484039444788.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
Where do I buy custom IEM Schuko cables like these?
>>
Had this question for the longest time:
Would it be possible (and is there already software for it) to connect two mice to my windows computer and have two separate mouse pointers, which can simultaneously activate two windows which I can individually type in using two keyboards?

To explain, I'd like something to make the following scenario possible:
Let's say you're running a fullscreen program on your first screen, and mcfaggotguy's chat window starts blinking on your second screen. He starts asking you if you've seen his dragon dildo.
Obviously you have it right up your ass but you don't want to alt-tab to tell him.
You keep using your left hand with your main keyboard or mouse to do whatever in your fullscreen program and use your secondary mouse/keyboard/touchscreen/whatever to activate and use the chat window simultaneously.

Does this exist? I've not been able to find anything suitable, is this a core limitation of windows?
>>
>>58435978
What the fuck is that image depicting? I wouldn't be caught dead sticking any of that shit anywhere in my body.

>>58435995
No, that's not possible. You just get two physical mice trying to move the same cursor.
>>
>>58436018
Those are the KZ ZST IEM's anon. Taste/Fashion sense is subjective.
>>
File: sad_man_at_computer.jpg (25KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
sad_man_at_computer.jpg
25KB, 640x427px
>>58435638
>>58435638
>>58435638
please help my boys
>>
File: I9ylAwk[1].jpg (111KB, 531x497px) Image search: [Google]
I9ylAwk[1].jpg
111KB, 531x497px
I ran chkdsk /f and some memory checks, and changed some startup options from automatic to manual, and now all my fonts look weird and jaggy - system fonts, not just in-browser.

What the fuck happened and how do I fix this?
>>
>>58436031
>Taste/Fashion sense is subjective.

t. someone with garbage taste/fashion sense
>>
>>58419780
disable shceduled tasks maybe
>>
>>58419497
I'm using a 64 bit architecture, how the FUCK do I get WINE to work?

Compiling from source is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>58420217
hi-Q mp3 rec (free) if you mean android
>>
>>58420613
gmx.co.uk serves me well
>>
File: 1421931443832.jpg (97KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1421931443832.jpg
97KB, 681x1024px
>>58435943
>check the file hash against an original one.
There is no original one.
Windows can't read or write to ext2/3/4 file system right?
Should I make a live USB of those and then run MWB?
>>
>>58436087
Don't be jelly just because you can't afford chink shit for $15 ;~)
>>
>>58421191
disable startup programs maybe

>>58421427
chrome is better but firefox is still second best
>>
Is it possible to run 2 of the same apps side by side on Android 6? Im trying to read a pdf that has the answers at the end, but I have to go back and forth 500 pages lol
>>
>>58436133
new tab?
>>
>>58436073
check cleartype
>>
>>58436018
Can the inputs then not at all be separated even through some third party software?
If you could make something that only eats up inputs from one of your two mice and uses it to create a fake mouse cursor in addition to your actual one... I'd pay money for something like that.
In fact I thought that was the whole idea behind the laptops that also have a built-in touchscreen.
>>
>>58433899
Not many people NEED more than one monitor. They're useful for audio and video production or gayming, but they're not necessary.

How badly do you WANT it?
>>
File: 5.jpg (225KB, 1200x903px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
225KB, 1200x903px
Are ISO files DVD exclusive format?
Will burning an ISO file to USB flash drive would make it bootable if dd was used or have to use something like rufus?
>>
>>58434677
Has your phone got location on it? They know your IP either way. Could be a coincidence, or could just be the future. It's not that creepy, they're not watching you through your webcam or doing anything mailcious.
>>
>>58434994
Firefox has a restore previous session feature, should be apparent when you open the browser again. Also history.

Idk if the notepad documents will be hidden away somewhere in temp files
>>
>>58436233
Touchscreens work differently, they're made to track multiple input sources. The mouse subclass for USB HID is only made to track a single input.
>>
File: cue.jpg (34KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
cue.jpg
34KB, 626x626px
What's a good tool for lossless splitting of flac+cue into several flacs, one for each track, with the original file being the entire album?
>>
>>58436041
If I had to guess, it sounds like your screen might be uneven. Did you try lightly pushing it in in places?
>>
>>58422258
If you're in the US could be your ISP throttling you, get a VPN. Mullvad has 3 hours free
trial, check it out.

>>58421427
Firefox is best overall IMO due to customization, and if you dont count botnet riddled sell-your-soul browsers there is no competition except possibly some firefox forks

>>58421130
Not familiar with evernote, but it just synchronizes your notes? Use regular .txt files and a synchronization program instead, syncthing works on everything.
>>
>>58436363
yeah tried that, but I doubt it's be an instant fix, so I don't know if it's working or not.
would it be wise to find an object the same size of the screen like a large book or something and lay that on it for a while you think?
>>
File: dumb-americans1.jpg (40KB, 470x315px) Image search: [Google]
dumb-americans1.jpg
40KB, 470x315px
Since it's a new year, should I wait to buy components to build my pc until new ones are out since older components will be cheaper?
>>
>>58436431
it's got a lot more features than synced notes, but this is a good start

thanks
>>
Do I need to understand coding language to report bugs when testing a project?
>>
>>58436349
Medieval CUE Splitter

The website is eye cancer, but I've been using the software for years to split.
>>
>>58436479
No.
As a general rule, don't wait.

Exceptions are when new products are RIGHT around the corner but this isn't the case right now. Closest thing is like 2 months away.
>>
Do I have to delete old cpu driver before installing the new one?
>>
I have a "Cable Matters' branded USB 3.0 hard drive dock for a while now and it works fine with everything I got besides these new WD Blue 6tb drives. See I got these blue drives dirt cheap second hand. They where set up in some sort of raid to store security camera footage but the store never opened and they just sat for a year. Got 10 of them for 50 bucks. Anyways if I pop them into the dock windows will see them and they will report smart data (which shows them having like an hour of power on time alone with 10ish spinups) but if I try and format them Windows starts lagging hard. If I wait long enough it will complete but if I try and transfer anything to them either Windows File Explore crashes or the transfer fails. all 10 of them do this. When I plug them in directly to sata they work fine though. I assume it's just my dock doesn't like 6tb drives?

TLDR - Can hard drive docks not like 6tb drives? What brand of dock can deal with them? Would want a USB3.1 dock since my mobo supports it but I don't have anything else to plug into it
>>
File: 217217_2245_draft.jpg (735KB, 1799x1880px) Image search: [Google]
217217_2245_draft.jpg
735KB, 1799x1880px
I bought this meme mATX board for a budget build for a friend. A small issue is that it only has one 9-pin USB 2.0 header and the case has both a card reader and front panel USB.

I don't think he'll use the card reader a lot but but I'd still like it if it worked. Is there some cheapo chink splitter cable that I can use or should I buy a PCI usb thingy? What are my options here?

Here's the manual if you want to consult the layout.
ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/B150M%20Pro4S.pdf
>>
How to repeat a curl request x ammount of times with different proxies based on txt proxylist?
>>
File: 239837973.png (99KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
239837973.png
99KB, 1080x1920px
>WIN10 file sharing
Having trouble accessing my shared folders from my phone

Tried just the username an password, the computernam/username and password, the local IP/username and password, tried blank passwords for all. Is it because my password is only a comma?

I press enter and the login screen just wipes itself and reappears.

I've read that they added extra security and I like the idea of having to sign in to see the files. I know I could add a registry entry to get it back to how WIN7 was but I want to try and get this working first.
>>
>>58436712
Try different client?
>>
>>58436806
I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by client? Like a different device or app?
>>
>>58436833
>sound like an idiot
This is /sqt/ you're allowed to ask stupid question.

Different app for accessing your shared folder.
I had similar issues though with WIN7.
I could access everything from other machines running windows, but not from linux.
Also could access the shared folders from android using ES file explorer but not from other apps.
>>
>>58435681
CCNA will atleast get you a foot in the door as customer support, and afaik you need some good experience to get through the CCIE exam or cheat your way through.
>>
>>58436870
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

My password was ' not ,
It's just the one next to ENTER, but it looks like , because it's on the lower case line.
>>
>bittorrent keep playing ads with sound even though it's not supposed too
>audio tracks continue playing even after I close the program
what kind of fucking black sorcery is this? This happened before and I had to reboot the computer to get it to shut up. Is there anything I can do besides that and uninstalling the program?
>>
>>58437035
wait, people actually use the vanilla bittorrent client?
>>
File: 217216_2245_draft.jpg (823KB, 1880x1818px) Image search: [Google]
217216_2245_draft.jpg
823KB, 1880x1818px
>>58436664

That's the wrong picture, this is the correct board with only one USB 2.0 header. Just in case you thought I was an even bigger retard.
>>
>>58436953
Which is exactly why CCNA is worth nothing.
>>
>>58437143
>>58436664
you can get an internal usb hub which will save you a pci slot but it will probably cost as much
>>
File: support.png (162KB, 801x561px) Image search: [Google]
support.png
162KB, 801x561px
Can anyone recommend a good lightweight AV alternative for my aging vista laptop? I run common sense edition most of the time but do like an extra layer to fall back on as long as it doesn't consume much resources.

I don't like ads and don't care for extra protection like firewall.

captcha calle vista
>>
>>58435590
Do you have any material recommendations?
What have you personally used before to learn the exam work?
>>
>>58420871
Are your video drivers up to date?
>>
>>58420871
Take a good look at the card, is it warped like mine did before it eventually started artifacting?
>>
Can I use an USB audio interface that is not natively multi-client with multiple sound sources in any way(ie. multi Asio,VM Banana etc)?
>>
My external HDD started making a sound, it's chirping like a cricket. If you've seen an anime it sounds exactly like that except a bit faster. Is it gonna die soon?
HDTune shows no warnings other than Reallocated Sector Count, but that's been there for ages.
>>
>>58437297
Bitdefender
Also consult the wiki
>>
>>58437418
What wiki?
>>
>>58437428
THE ONE IN THE FIRST FUCKING THREAD OF THE BOARD
>>
>>58437418
>Bitdefender
hmm that all looks like you have to pay for it, I don't want to spend a penny.
>>
>>58437440
It has a free version, and it always comes on top on every malware detection ranking. I don't use it though.
>>
>>58437470
Ok I'll check it out thanks. I installed AVG a while back and that made this 8 year old PC choke.
>>
What is the best solution for capturing desktop computer video at 1080p 60 fps, which can be automated by scripts etc? I need to make a python script that will automatically record certain game applications running from my PC (e.g. FIFA, COD), and I need to be able to tell the capture device to start recording, stop recording, and in the same script open the video, edit it etc. Then rinse and repeat. The script and the game has to run on the same computer. I see that many capture devices only record unencrypted HDMI. Is computer HDMI output unencrypted?

I was thinking something like "Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro" or "Elgato Game Capture HD60 S". Would what I descibed be possible with these products?
>>
>>58437497
Have you tried Fraps? you can get the full version easily with a bit of digging.
>>
>>58437569
I'm not sure I would be able to record at high FPS with FRAPS or other software based method. My PC was like ~$700 4 years ago. I can try with Fraps tough.

Would this work? :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-HDMI-High-Def-Video-Grabber-Capture-Card-Input-720p-1080i-1080p-24hz-HD72A-/281382120129?hash=item4183ae6ac1
>>
>>58437618
Not sure, HDMI is very picky about copy protection you might have better luck with DVI I think.
>>
>>58436479
>>
>>58437671
Interesting option. Would either DVI or VGA have reduced output quality? I.e. do they also support 1080p at 60 FPS?
>>
>>58437739
VGA is analog so yes it would, don't touch it with a 1-ft barge pole.

DVI is the same video signal and quality as HDMI but without sound and the copy protection IIRC. You'd just have to capture audio using the line out or headphone port on your motherboard.
>>
>>58436479
I'd say wait for Ryzen, its shaping up to look competitive against intel now. It may not beat it but it could well be a good budget alternative.
>>
Why is this allowed?
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Apply+Thermal+Paste/744
>>
>>58437856
>scraping thermal paste off
Have they even actually used arcticlean? That stuff turns even the most dried up paste into liquid with ease, no need for a scratching tool.

Scraping just creates even more imperfections on the die surface.
>>
File: 6uuYpmynrisGkye5.medium.jpg (130KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
6uuYpmynrisGkye5.medium.jpg
130KB, 592x444px
>>58437856
Nice way to ruin your new CPU.
>>
>>58435570
Okay thanks anon
>>
ALIGNING TEXT INPUT?

<div class="box">
<label>Title</label>
<input type="text">
<button>Add</button>

</div>
<div class="box">
<label>Author</label>
<input type="text">
<button>Add</button>

</div>

Best way to align it so the two inputs are even?

https://jsfiddle.net/5jbtj3rs/
>>
>>58437415
Steadily increasing reallocated sector count is a sign that the drive is dying, because eventually it will run out of additional unmapped sectors to move data to, and then you will have Uncorrectable Sectors.

>>58437431
Christ man, how do you put up with that much stupidity? Are you literally Buddha?

>>58437856
Because people are so useless now they can't be expected to be able to either have or buy isopropyl alcohol.

>>58438084
No problem, thank you for saying thank you. If more anons would do that, I'd help more people. That's the one advantage of helping people on irc, they're usually better about saying thank you.
>>
>>58437310
I'm following a course at my college so i have classes for it. But people recommend CBTnuggets all the time for it (pirate it, shit is expensive yo.), probably enough other stuff to find online for it. Plus most tests and answers are already online, which gives you a general idea of what kind of knowledge you need to possess.
>>
is there a simpler and more understandable way to get multidimensional arrays using dot syntax than this?
function dotarray($var) {
$tokens = explode('.',$var);
$result = $GLOBALS;
foreach($tokens as $token) {
$result = $result[$token]
}
return $result;
}
>>
File: 1480032207517.gif (148KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1480032207517.gif
148KB, 340x340px
>>58436254
my nigguh, can i habe the sauce for this "mango"

My stupid question:
>Has anyone used Lazada?
>Anyone got some personal opinion on Xiaomi Pistons 3 Basic Edition?

Maybe SEA Anons might relate.

Just recently ordered some chink shit Xiaomi meme Piston 3 and very excited to receive them today or tomorrow.
>>
>>58438581
inb4 i get redirected to /hpg and /csg

niggers, they no answer muh questions kek
>>
>>58438581
Not >>58436254, but it's Mizugi de Obenkyou. Next time, use RGIS.
>>
>>58436254
>Are ISO files DVD exclusive format?
No, an ISO is just a sector-by-sector copy of a disk image. It can contain any arbitrary data.

>Will burning an ISO file to USB flash drive would make it bootable if dd was used or have to use something like rufus?
ISO isn't well-standardized so your results may vary depending on what you're trying to copy, but usually you can just use dd. IIRC rufus (and other similar software) also handles things like formatting and partitioning so make sure you do that if needed before you dd it.

>>58436531
Depends on the bug and the project, but probably not.
>>
>>58436349
WavePad
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.