[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 42

File: aVDrXLO_460s.jpg (43KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
aVDrXLO_460s.jpg
43KB, 460x460px
>>
>>58390831
The other sqt had a picture with boobies and chick-fil-a. Step your picture game up.
>>
>>58390863
What are you, straight? Fuck off.
>>
Is the quality of my audio going to be lower if I connect my speakers to my monitor instead of directly to my PC, or will it make no difference?
>>
File: 1450685096015.jpg (83KB, 560x682px) Image search: [Google]
1450685096015.jpg
83KB, 560x682px
I got this
http://a.co/gnKyCZs
Would it be better to get 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD?
>>
My old Acer laptop keeps overheating. At least I think it does. It cuts out completely after a few hours of using it.
What could I do to fix it? Would opening it up and cleaning it make any difference?
>>
do all cpu fans have the same wattage?
i looked around for PSU calculators and not one of them asks about which cpu fan i have, so i'm wondering if it's just taken for granted or something?
>>
>>58390922
Both have shit DACs so it doesn't matter
>>
>>58391676
>At least I think it does
If you keep your hand on it and it burns, it's overheating.
You can open it up and clean the dust off, that should drop a few degrees. You could also replace the thermal paste but that can get tricky.
>>
If I
cal 2017
in terminal, today's day is highlighted with background color.
I'm guessing the cal program calls tput.
But how to I do something like cal 2017 > calendar.txt without today's date mucking up the format?
What is the meaning of the chars displayed when I more calendar.txt?
Can these same chars be used for formatting to other document types?
What is the terminology for this characters?
I want to understand things.
>>
Could someone post that picture with kanye waiting for the joke to be over with all those badly designed apple products?
>>
File: 1483752043412.jpg (76KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483752043412.jpg
76KB, 960x960px
Sup /gee/ I want to make my pc more silent, I'm already running a zero rpm gpu and a ssd, the case fan start to spin only when cpu temperature exceeds 40 celsius (does never happen) so the psu and cpu fan bacame the most noisy components.

my cpu is a pentium g4400, the tdp tops 45W I got an arctic freezer 11 LP on it and a cheapo 540W PSU wich is almost inaudible, do you think its better to invest in a noise cancelling case, or Should I upgrade the heatsink and maybe switch to a psu wich stops its fan under a certain usage

in the second case, do ever exist cpu heatsing with fan stopping in idle? can't find any on google

thanks
>>
File: 1483631951255.jpg (171KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1483631951255.jpg
171KB, 675x1200px
what's the command I use so that GCC find newly installed libraries?

it used to be first hit in google, but i can't find it anymore

picture related
>>
File: Untitled.png (56KB, 274x207px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
56KB, 274x207px
I'm organizing my chinese cartoons right now, and I'm working on prettying everything up with icons. I can figure out the icon matcher and applying icons to folders just fine, but I don't know how to place icons on the actual video thumbnails. Take pic related; I want to place the icon I've set for the folder on these thumbnails, rather than the mpv icon.

Advice?
>>
I have an 8 year old 850W 80+ silver PSU that can't output more than 400W anymore.

Should I just toss it, or should I save it for a low power system? I'm worried about it blowing up and taking the system with it.
>>
How can I make a bootable USB of W10 in Debian?
>>
Is there any major difference between SSDs?
Like is there anything wrong with getting a SanDisk one over a Samsung? It's a lot cheaper.
>>
>>58392027
Can't.
This icon is file type icon.
You can change the file thumbnail though since mkv support that.
>>
>>58392357
Odd, could have sworn it was possible.
>>
I don't spend my money on anything lads, should I say fuck it and buy a 1080 and a 144Hz 1440p display with gsync? Currently got a 144Hz 1080 and a 970
>>
Anyone got any alternatives to peerblock? Is it even worth having at all these days?
>>
>>58392384
For EXE files, yes.
Not for media files, that Icon present what program would run it by default.
You "can" change it but that would make all mkv files the same icon.
>>
>>58392391
No
Don't waste money just because you have it, that's what (((they))) want
>>
How do I run manjaro in qemu?

It asks for all kinds of distros, but no arch/manjaro. Now when I try to run the iso on there it doesn't get anywhere.
>>
Which modern version of Windows takes less space/resources? Going to use it on a virtual machine
>>
>>58392177
There is, but it's nothing compared to the difference between an SSD and an HDD. Look at random read/write speeds if you want to compare SSDs
>>
>>58392406
No, and it never was
>>
>>58392663
Trick question. 10 is the only modern version of windows.
>>
>>58392663
7 if you slim it down yourself with something like rt7lite
>>
>>58392645
>using qemu past 2011

Dude it's been depreciated for years.
>>
File: IMG_0115.jpg (226KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0115.jpg
226KB, 720x720px
>>58390831
I have an xps 13 in the mail. Does installing ubuntu void the warranty?
>>
>>58392737
Then what VM am I supposed to use when virtual box isn't working for my distro?
>>
File: Woman1.jpg (677KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Woman1.jpg
677KB, 1280x1920px
advise on setting up a neovim config "init.vim".
I have the config file but not sure wtf is going off (NEW FAG TO LINUX). Are there any good guides to setting up neovim (the end goal is to use neovim for python programing).
>>
>>58392761
If virtualbox isn't working, you should stop and work on that
>>
>>58392112
Bump
Tried installing winusb but that didn't work.
>>
>>58392758
Not sure, but you realise you can always just reinstall windows then send it back under warranty. Obviously back up you Ubuntu install first
>>
Why do mobileshitters post IMG_ filenames now?
Not just for photos but for random meme images downloaded from somewhere else?
>>
Is there any way to receive my sms on one phone and mms on another phone but use the same phone number for each?
>>
>>58392813
But won't they notice the missing Dell bloatware and spyware?

Should backup the initial Windows install.
>>
>>58392831
Iphones rename all photos to img_ names
>>
File: iOS-9-jailbreak-2.jpg (25KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
iOS-9-jailbreak-2.jpg
25KB, 800x451px
>>58388239
>>58392238
>>58392750
>>
>>58392844
PC warentee usually doesn't have shit todo with software. Just don't pry open anything with a sticker covering it and you should be good
>>
How do I send 4k movies to my 4k android/philips tv without an HDMI cable?

Wifi chromecast just buffers all the time. The TV has an ethernet port, can I stream it through that somehow?
>>
>>58392807
What happened?
>>
>>58392910
Can you connect an external drive to it?
>>
>>58392910
https://www.google.com/chromecast/tv/ultra/
>>
Anybody here bought one of those Pixio PX277 monitors? 144Hz, FreeSync, and IPS for $350 sounds too good to be true. Do they have lots of problems with dead pixels and backlight bleed or something?
>>
>>58392910
plex
>>
>>58392946
Yes but it's kind of cumbersome to deal with transferring them through external drives really.
>>58392947
>4k chromecast streaming is Chromecast 2 exclusive
meh
>>58392967
>All your movie, TV show, music, and photo collections, beautifully organized and streamed to your big screen through your Android TV.
this is probably what I was looking for, thanks
>>
>>58392903
Pretty much this. No harm done in backing up though
>>
>>58392807
Try again

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt update
sudo apt install winusb

>>
>>58392981
>this is probably what I was looking for, thanks

I'm using plex with my home server and smart tv. I also use it from my laptop/from work/my bedroom chromecast/parents house.

All 9TB of my movies/tv/chinese cartoons available everywhere at all times -- it's fucking amazing.
>>
File: desktop_model_fa_rszd.jpg (10KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
desktop_model_fa_rszd.jpg
10KB, 250x202px
Why don't people do the horizontal PC with the monitor on top thing anymore?
>>
>>58393088
People with slim PCs do, it's just not a super common form factor.
>>
>>58393088
Because it takes up desk space
>>
>>58393088
The only reason people did that was to save desk space. Modern flatscreens don't take as much desk space as CRTs did so it's no longer neccessary.
>>
Do I have to set up port forwarding if both of the machines are on the same internal network (both 192.168.x.x ips)?
>>
>>58392782
Nevermind getting there slowly with this - https://github.com/zchee/deoplete-jedi/wiki/Setting-up-Python-for-Neovim (the problem was not fully understanding that neovim uses a different config location in comparison to vanilla vim)
>>
>>58392685
Then without a VPN, what can one do?
>>
>>58393161
only when you need to access something from outside your internal network, so no.
>>
>>58393228
Without a VPN, VPS, or seedbox...effectively nothing.
>>
>>58393228

move to a non-shit country
>>
I really want to get an iPhone, but for cheap.
Where can I get a trusted-refurbished iPhone 6 or so for a decent price?
>>
File: batterylife.png (56KB, 381x678px) Image search: [Google]
batterylife.png
56KB, 381x678px
How do i fix this terrible battery life on the s7 edge (us version)? This is with 30 minutes of screen on time which means i get about 2 hours of SoT before the phone is dead which is terrible. I have very few apps installed (nothing like facebook that drains battery). I did a cache wipe before letting it fully charge but the drain was not improved.
>>
>>58393385

get an iphone
>>
>>58393393
No thanks, iphones have a terrible interface.
>>
File: 2cool4school.png (397KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
2cool4school.png
397KB, 600x776px
>>58390831
is antivirus software just a meme? as long as i don't download dumb shit, do i really need anti virus?

or alternatively, if i just ignore when my antivirus warns me about files that i download, is there any point?

does antivirus actually do shit in the background or is it pretty much just "hey man maybe think twice before opening that .exe"
>>
>>58393466
Antivirus software is basically almost 90% signature detection (i.e. we have a checksum of this malware, we've detected file on your system with this checksum) and some heuristics combined with access control (for example, irfanview shouldn't be able to load device drivers).

As long as you use Common Sense™, you're pretty much as safe as you're ever gonna get.
>>
>>58391685
2 to 4 watts each (volts times amps, voltage being 12v)
>>
>>58391917
anywhere you can't eliminate a fan, use a bigger fan- larger blades can move the same amount of air while generating less noise at a lower, less obnoxious frequency
>>
>>58393466
a resident scanner, which is only a part of an anti virus software, is more like "from the information I know, and my well-calculated guess, if I let you run this program you just tried to open, you're most likely going to fuck up your computer, better don't do that"

another main part of an anti-virus software is a file scanner that checks your files for any known or suspected virus code.

so one works in the background and checks any file you open (or download), other works when ran manually or scheduled and checks any file on your system. depending on the AV software, you might get more stuff like firewalls or whatever else to help security.

ignoring your anti-virus is like skipping vaccines. sometimes you'll survive, sometimes you'll get sick, and in rare cases, you'll fucking die. ymmv
>>
>>58391685
not all fans have the exact same wattage, but it's rare that they'll exceed like 5w of power draw, so it's usually not a concern unless you have a ton of them (and you're already running your system close to your psu's limit).

>>58391917
some motherboards support pwm cpu fans that will slow or stop when your cpu is cool enough. you could also look into a fanless cooler, especially since your processor is relatively low tdp (example: https://www.quietpc.com/nof-icepipe ) which will also help prevent dust buildup

>>58392758
unless you've got some specialty warranty on it, dell will only cover hardware issues anyway. you can install whatever you want as long as it doesn't force-overheat your processor or anything.

they might reinstall windows if you send it in to them, though.
>>
>>58393544
any suggestions then for a free anti virus that isn't bloated with bullshit features?
>>
Im building right now.

I put on the NH-D15 heatsink, but there are some Cables labeled "Low Noise Adaptor."

What are those? what do they do?
>>
>>58392817
>>
>>58390831
I'm running mint and i'm trying to figure out how to download virtualbox on it. i'm still a noob with linux and any help would be appreciated .
>>
>>58393632

it probably gets grabbed by the host, try installing the virtualbox guest additions. if that doesn't work choose another key, it should work
>>
>>58392072
8 years is a great life for a PSU. Retire it.

>>58392112
step 1, stop and get W7 instead

>>58392177
look at performance benchmarks
understand the different between architecture(differtent MLC variants, etc)

As far as brand, What do you think Sandisk makes? Aside from the gen 1 sandforce, they make great memory

>>58392406
get a VPN

Honestly you should have abandoned peerblock the instant they started trying to charge you money for lists

>>58392903
Even those stickers are invalid under the law- even shitty cucked US law

>>58393466
you need AV and a firewall.

>>58393589
Get Comodo. They do try and load it with bullshit, but if you pay attention you can avoid installing any of it

>>58393578
nearly all motherboard's CPU fan header is PWM

>>58393604
that connector has a voltage limiter which reduces fan speed
>>
>>58393671
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian trusty contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms
>>
File: 1483215809045.jpg (30KB, 369x318px) Image search: [Google]
1483215809045.jpg
30KB, 369x318px
Whenever I plug in my external HDD into a win10 computer it is seen but says it's corrupted or unreadable.

When I plug it into a linux computer it's readable and I can see all my files, I can even play video files that are stored on it. But when I try to delete something or move something onto the drive I get an IO error (not permissions related or anything, i think it's an invalid directory problem).

I am thinking that the problem came froman improper ejection while it was mounted.

what can i do to fix this? I want to be able to use it on a win10 computer as well as be able to add and move files from it.
>>
>>58393674
That's what I'm guessing. What are the additions? And how would I choose another key? I can't access a terminal in the i3 guest.
>>
>>58393713
>5 sudo in a row

please stop using Linux.
>>
What's the difference between
pacman -Syu

pacman -Syyu

and
pacman -Syyu [package]

?
>>
how do you on ubuntu install programs onto a different drive than the default one?
>>
>>58393813

i just copy/pasted the first search result
>>
>>58393809

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-guest-addons.html
>>
>>58393829
-Syu downloads the latest package list and installs any new packages
-Syyu force downloads the latest package list, even if it is up to date, and installs the latest packages
-Syyu [package] does the same thing as regular -Syyu, but also installs [package]
>>
>>58393892
So is there ever a reason to use just
pacman -S package

?
>>
>>58393589
ClamAV is only a file scanner
MSE is a shit-on-purpose residential+file scanner but still gets the job done most of the time

other AV software is fucking annoying. Except Norton but it costs money and (at least in the past) was a massive resource hog
>>
>>58393912

>norton
>not annoying
>not a piece of shit since 1999
>>
>>58393906
If you have already ran
pacman -Syu
or
pacman -Syyu
that day, then yes, just use
pacman -S package
. It could save the server a few MiB of bandwidth.

You only need to run -Syu once a day max.
>>
>>58393874
How do I choose another key if this doesn't work?
>>
>>58393967

I really can't recall how you did that in i3, it's been years since i've used it. just look at the config documentation and/or google it
>>
anyone ever tried an online calculus course and had good luck?

im looking for one that isnt coursera and doesnt use a giant chalkboard like the MIT one lol
>>
>>58393747
What is the filesystem type on the HDD? When I had an external on ext4 WIndows bitched and moaned about it for no reason.

Also, does Windows create a "repair drive" dialog?

What I would try as a last resort is backup files in any way you can and reformat.
>>
so i've been using this 4chins image scraper:
https://github.com/crypt3lx2k/Imageboard-Image-Scraper/commit/62ca89a2f396a18ff6294604e03b9f800d09f612

which stopped working a couple weeks ago
i noticed that i was quite a few commits behind the current so i updated and like all other open sores projects, rather than just fixing shit incrimentally, the maintainer(s) decided to add a ton o' junk that just bloated the shit out of it, and it still doesnt work thanks to said additions and other shit (like python 2->3 changes)

my rather limited (casual) programming skills are exhausted, so does anyone have a nice 4ch image scraper that
1) keeps original filenames
2) allows custom output dir
3) keeps going until thread 404
4) optionally allows scraping a whole board and not just a thread (though thread is what i'm after primarily)
5) isnt gay as hell in the code so that i can fix little things if need be?
>>
I'm using linux mint right now. Is there any way I can set up my system to have two seperate profiles that have different UI, text, etc settings for most of my software and tools?

I have amblyopia, which is a form of lazy eye kind of... One near sighted eye and one far sighted eye, when your brain is developing it usually picks one as the dominant eye and uses it for pretty much everything and you end up with one eye thats like 15/20 and one eye thats 20/400 or some shit.

Long story short you can train your bad eye and develop it using an eyepatch for a couple of hours a day. I want to set up a retard profile that has fuck huge text that I can lower as as my eye gets better. I'd like to be able to shitpost while improving my eyesight by forcing to work hard focusing on letters.
>>
>>58393982
The point is I cannot access the config file. There's no file manager I can call up without getting a terminal, which I'm unable to access without the super key.
>>
>>58394142

I really can't think of anything else other than creating a separate user. But you can switch between users pretty fast and it'll work flawlessly.
>>
>There is a major difference between Windows and GNU/Linux. On Windows it is common, that each program together with all the libraries it depends on is installed in a separate folder. This often leads to a lot of wasted disk space due to libraries being installed multiple times, for each program that uses them.

>On Linux, programs are installed following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS). This means, that the libraries the programs depend on are all installed in a common dedicated location, so that they are usually only installed once, no matter how many programs use them. Also, programs are built in such a way, that they all use the same version of a certain library. This safes disk space (and RAM at runtime), but has the drawback, that one cannot freely install programs on different partitions or hard disks, at least not without editing system configuration files (for instance /etc/ld.so.conf.d to include the different library folders).

TLDR you can't
>>
>>58394188

Ctrl + Shift + F1, you pleb
>>
>>58394197
Alright I'll try that then. Sounds like that will work fine.
>>
>>58393847
>>58394202
>>
File: 1483909293687.jpg (71KB, 481x491px) Image search: [Google]
1483909293687.jpg
71KB, 481x491px
I'm about to drop my XMas money on EVGA 1080.

The Superclock and FTW are what I'm deciding over. Is there any real difference the 8 pin power on the SC and 8 + 8 on FTW?
>>
>>58394202
>TLDR you can't
why write all that bullshit about the tehcnical implementation instead of just saying its not possible?
>>
File: i see youre running gnome.png (43KB, 286x366px) Image search: [Google]
i see youre running gnome.png
43KB, 286x366px
>>58394314
Copied straight from StackExchange
>>
>>58394214
It didn't do anything.
>>
>>58394381
I don't know what your issue is, but i'm going to guess he meant to say
Ctrl + Alt + F1
>>
>>58394407
That just calls a terminal on the host OS. There seems to be an issue with VB capturing some keyboard input. How can I fix that?
>>
>>58394314
>why write all that bullshit about the tehcnical implementation instead of just saying its not possible?

it is possible

>>58394202
>TLDR you can't

what you said doesn't say that, although what you said is referring to package managers (which won't like to support it for obvious reasons)

>>58393847
>how do you on ubuntu install programs onto a different drive than the default one?

find the projects homepage and if you're lucky they have a binary download, if not download the sources and compile it, if you don't want to compile it another option is to find the .deb (or whatever ubuntu uses) and extract that to the target location, another possibility would be to move the binary after installing it with your package manager although this might not work

installing to a separate drive with the package manager is likely going to be far more effort and not supported at all, if your purpose for installing to a separate drive is to run on another computer this won't work well at all unless the program was statically compiled (very likely it wasn't)

if these don't seem like satisfactory answers consider what you're trying to do for a second because there's likely a better solution to what you're trying to achieve
>>
>>58394188

if you can't edit the config file on the host machine (after shutting down the guest, or through sshing into the guest), and you can't pass through super with your virtual machine, then you fucked up by using super over alt on a window manager that doesn't come standard with a mouse driven launcher
>>
>>58394188
boot into rescue mode, edit config file
>>
>>58394417
Got it, in case anyone cares. It came down to disabling the super key on my host to automatically call the "start menu" (on Mint). Then VB was able to capture it.
>>
>>58394270
Bump.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (196KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
196KB, 1360x768px
Guys do you think about my cpu, mobo and graphic card temperature is high?. That is while i am just browsing.

Also to add that I am using the noctua nh-d15 as an air cooler
>>
>>58394775
Those a regular temps. Don't expect below 50 on a medium load without water cooling.
>>
>>58394775

yeah that looks alright
>>
File: 1462595107600.jpg (10KB, 223x225px) Image search: [Google]
1462595107600.jpg
10KB, 223x225px
I'm using the Dolphin emulator, and I think I fucked up... There's an option that lets you specify a directory with the games you want to play, and I chose my Desktop (and accidentally turned on "search subdirectories")

I literally can't get Dolphin to boot up anymore... Any help?
>>
>>58394811
>>58394793
Thanks guys i was under the idea that it was a somewhat high t given the fact that it was measured while it was mostly idle.
>>
I bought a titan xp sli quad core system but even when I run gta v at ultra 120+ frames I'm still empty inside

should I just return it ?
>>
>>58394875
Create a directory outside your desktop, move everything on your desktop into that directory, start up Dolphin, change the setting, put everything back.
>>
File: Hm....png (136KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
Hm....png
136KB, 400x298px
>>58394897
Wow that was a lot more straighforward than I was expecting... Thanks Anon!
>>
>>58394974
Clean your fucking desktop when you're done
>>
>>58394270
>>58394758

the ftw edition supposedly has better components but if you can afford it you'll be better off getting it, it'll likely overclock slightly better too

the difference in practice is likely fuck all
>>
>>58394887

buy a 4k monitor with gsync

you'll still be empty inside while dealing with shitty scaling but you'll have 4 times the pixels
>>
been trying to read how to use dd over the last three days.

can somebody explain to me exactly what sync does?
and i don't really get what block size i should be using. moving about 500gb.
just trying to backup my drive to another one. i forget if i'm supposed to be using notrunc too.
>>
can a workstation be run 24/7 like a server?
>>
What is a cheap tablet to use for programming while my laptop's getting repaired? The Surface Pro looks good but I don't know anything about tablets
>>
Does this site give an error for anyone else?
http://www.theadrenalist.com/
>>
>>58395242

That's what i do
>>
>>58390831

Is there a way to tell Windows to reinitialize the MBR?

I was dual-booting with Linux, switched back to Windows full-time, and now GRUB still defaults to (nonexistent) Linux. I know I can dick around with a thumb drive to boot Linux, but then I have to track down the drive and format it properly and blah blah blah.
>>
File: IMG_20170107_214000.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170107_214000.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
when I installed my Corsair H90, I noticed the logo is not straight as you can see in the pic, is there a way to unsnap the clip on the back?
>>
I'm looking for some additional icons that are visually similar to Windows 10 default icons. They're harder to find that I thought they would be, can anyone help?
>>
>>58390831
I need to get Pin header that is 24 pins long and female wires to connect them where would i get something like this?
>>
what power strips do you guys use
>>
>>58395465
ok. i just wasn't sure if workstation hardware was designed to be on 24/7.
>>
File: IMG_20170108_184633729.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_184633729.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>58395889
something for this.
>>
>>58395231
>can somebody explain to me exactly what sync does?

there's two syncs, the conv=sync dd option, and the separate utility sync

I'll explain the separate utility sync first because it's the easiest; when you write data to disk it's typically written to a buffer/cache in memory first, this speeds *everything* up because it allows the kernel to allocate filesystem io much more efficiently, however if you're writing a large amount of data it may take a reasonable time for the buffers to clear, calling sync (as a separate command, as a root/privileged user) will cause those cached buffers to be written to disk with some priority; the windows analogue would be removing a usb without safely ejecting - usually the data is written in a timely fashion but other times you'll pull it immediately after writing data (after windows says the transfer is complete) and end up with file/filesystem corruption, you can mount filesystems without write cache buffers which write data immediately which is far "safer" in terms of power loss or sudden removal but they're slower (MUCH slower on typical hard disks)

the second option depends on what variant of dd you're using (which like all ancient, decades old unix tools, has various iterations and separate developments), assuming you're not using something exotic dd's conv=sync should act like above (check: "man dd" for more information), if not what sync will do is a little convoluted in that it "syncs" data by padding on errors so you end up with the same alignment of data, which may or may not be relevant when dealing with bad disks or dealing with odd technology (like tape drives or dvd files where data alignment matters), if this is the sync you're after you probably should use it like conv=sync,noerror and read up a lot more

continued shortly
>>
How do I get two "d3d9 interceptors" to work together?
>>
Are linksys Routers still quality since being acquired by belkin? Are classic WRT54Gs still usable or do they lack the bandwidth for modern home networks or suffer for not having dual band?
>>
File: S900WAs.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
S900WAs.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
What do you guys think of using Xfinity's wifi hotspot system?

I'm away from home for a few months and was planning on paying $250 (total) for internet. I found out that these hotspots cover my area well, and I can probably get by without buying my own internet.

Are they secure enough for day-to-day use?
>>
>>58395991
>continued shortly
>>58395231

in general, conv=sync(,noerror) is only something you should be using when dealing with failing harddrives or when dealing with stuff like writing to dvds, however its efficacy is debated (and you'll be spending far more than 3 days trying to wrap your head around it if your goal is to try and recover data from a dying harddrive)

if you just want to back up one (working) drive to another drive, or if you're just reading/writing directly to a file system (i.e., writing a linux iso to a usb, reading a harddrive to an "iso" file) you do not need conv=sync(,noerror)

>and i don't really get what block size i should be using.

in general, bs=4096 works fine (or bs=4k if you prefer)

in theory, if you run fdisk -l /dev/whatever you'll get something like:

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

where 512 is what you want to be using (but larger power of two numbers won't hurt either, using 4096 in place of 512 is fine and might be faster)

there have been *multiple* demonstrations of benchmarking dd performance with blocksize and the results will vary (and they'll vary based on your disks, your io controller, cpu, etc) but 512 is fine, 1-4k is fine, up to about 4m is fine

see: https://superuser.com/questions/234199/good-block-size-for-disk-cloning-with-diskdump-dd
or for completely different results: http://blog.tdg5.com/tuning-dd-block-size/

>i forget if i'm supposed to be using notrunc too.

notrunc is a little misleading to, if you're reading from a block device (like a harddrive) to another block device, you don't need it, ever

if you're writing to a file (on a filesystem), what notrunc does is tell the file system not to truncate the file you're writing into to zero, I'll give an example shortly.....
>>
I'm really comfortable using Windows 7. I'm afraid of upgrading to Windows 10. I'm concerned about all this watch dog hooplah I've been hearing about and would really like to use Linux, but I mostly use my PC to pay vidya. Can I make the switch, or should i just sick with 7?
>>
>>58396206
>>58395231

as an example, create a dummy file of 10gb, if you dd a dvd to that dummy file (not using notrunc), the file remains 10gb and the first 4.7gb or so will be that of the dvd, however if you dd a dvd to that dummy file (using conv=notrunc this time) that file gets truncated to 0 bytes size first, and then 4.7gb or so is written (resulting in a file that's 4.7gb not 10gb)

in practice for backing up something of a static size, you don't need notrunc at all

which leads me to:

if you just want to back up one harddrive to a file (which can be used to write to the same/another harddrive of equal or greater size) or to another file, just use:

dd if=/dev/whatever of=/dev/whatever bs=4k

maybe add status=progress to the end on newer versions for updated progress on speed and data written and the line, maybe perform a sync command after

all together:

dd if=/dev/whatever of=/dev/whatever bs=4k status=progress && sync

anyway sorry for the full autistic stackoverflow tier answer but I know how much of a pain in the arse it can be not understand what the particular flags mean
>>
>>58396202
>Are they secure enough for day-to-day use?

Probably. Configure your own DNS servers and use HTTPS.

If you're really paranoid, you should already be using a VPN.
>>
Is there an android phone app to automatically restary crashed apps? My screen rotation app crashes sometimes (I use my phone exclusively horozontally) and I hate having to restart the app.
>>
File: wtf.png (578KB, 655x883px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
578KB, 655x883px
what is this style of arithmetic called and why would anyone use it
>>
>>58396202
they're fine for casual browsing
>>
>>58396297
>Configure your own DNS servers and use HTTPS.
Good call, wasn't thinking about that.

>>58396337
Sounds good, thanks.
>>
Does having two monitors noticeably impact performance (not using either for gaming and does dragging a firefox tab onto another monitor use more usage than leaving it?
>>
>>58396334

WTF is that?

Oh, I get it, that's that new math, where kids are taught to break down operations and then combine them afterward. I have no idea what that's called because I learned back when we did everything by hand.

Come to think of it, I don't even remember how to multiply numbers by hand, the old fashioned way. And I have no recollection of how to do long division. I could probably figure it out if I had to, but it would take a couple days.
>>
>>58396380
dragging a tab out shouldnt use any more resources than keeping the tab in the same window as far as i know
maybe slightly more since the new tab would act as an active window along with the original window, but not really (at least it doesnt when i do it)
>>
>>58396409
it's from a 2010 lecture by a math grad student, so idk if its a new way of doing math or not

https://www.coursera.org/learn/calculus1/lecture/hAkKN/what-is-the-limit-of-a-product

it just seems so much less organized than regular carry-over multiplication
>>
>>58396380
The only way my dual monitor degrades my performance is by tricking me into doing multiple things at once
>>
>>58396480

But why is it so sloppily written? There's a 6 5 4 across the top, why no 3 1 3 down the left side? What's with the crazy chicken scratch all over it?
>>
>>58396380

I'll say that yes, *technically* it can. I've used systems where there's a slight slowdown as you drag to the second monitor. But in general, on a reasonably modern system, there's no slowdown that you'd ever see.

*Maybe* if you're dealing with a high-DPI monitor using scaling, alongside a traditional DPI monitor with no scaling.
>>
File: MathWTF.png (636KB, 695x704px) Image search: [Google]
MathWTF.png
636KB, 695x704px
>>58396480

Screencap from later. Shows the left side better, makes some sense.

Holy shit, though, that video took way too fucking long to get to the point.
>>
What is the best user-friendly video editing software that has video stabilization and aesthetic filter features?
>>
If I install drivers for a PCI sound card, does that mean I can't use my front headphone/microphone jacks anymore? Or my motherboard's ports?
>>
>>58396907
>If I install drivers for a PCI sound card, does that mean I can't use my front headphone/microphone jacks anymore?

no, you can still use your motherboard/frontpanel jacks

>>58396380

the old advice (decade(s) old) is that multiple monitors of multiple resolutions may affect performance but it'd be an insignificant hit, a few fps under demanding loads at most

these days on powerful hardware on good drivers it shouldn't be a problem

>>58396238

what you want is windows that isn't windows, which isn't linux, you may like linux, but really you should just stick to windows 7 (then win8.1 when win7 support is dropped, then win10 debotnet'd the best you can while maintaining the debotnet practices)
>>
>>58396185
>Are classic WRT54Gs still usable or do they lack the bandwidth for modern home networks or suffer for not having dual band?

if you're okay with being limited to 35-55mbit or so max from that router (local + internet) then they're fine

I can't say if modern linksys are good, personally I went from a second hand wrt54gl with tomato firmware to isp provided modem/router combo (piece of shit but I needed it for 1gbit lan and 60mbit internet) to a tp-link archer c7 with openwrt because I have a hardon for open router firmware, makes me nostalgic for my wrt54gl
>>
>>58396950
>no, you can still use your motherboard/frontpanel jacks

But I imagine the performance will be nowhere near as good as if the devices were plugged into the sound card itself, huh?
>>
What's the easiest way to learn how to code and program as a teen who only has access to his computer on weekends/ (I have a school laptop, but it is so locked down I can't even access the Windows directory.)
>>
best budget all-in-one?
why AiO is unpopular on /g/?
>>
I remeber I used to be able to open my Android phone folders when attached to my Windows 10 computer via USB. Now there's nothing there though. Did this happen in an Android or Windows update and when? I don't understand why I can't just drag and drop stuff to my phone and back.
>>
what security comes recommended for a normie-ware windows

worried more about someone opening spam emails and trying to buy amazing penis extenders than the NSA
>>
>>58397108
prone to breakage
poor cooling
hard to work on
>>
>>58390831
Recently the Search feature of Windows has started acting up. I have it set up so that it only shows results from my Start Menu. MBAM is in there; I have verified that the shortcut is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and can see it in the start menu itself. For some reason, though, Windows doesn't show anything when I search "mbam" or even type out "Malwarebytes."
I've tried rebuilding the index and it doesn't solve the problem. Can anyone help me?
>>
>>58395991
>>58396206
>>58396270
you are godsend

thank
>>
File: 1427797607676.png (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1427797607676.png
18KB, 500x500px
I have pretty much ignored AMD in terms of CPUs for the past few years, so my knowledge of their product lines pretty much does not exist.
I would like to get back on track in terms of chipsets and customer CPUs.

Like for example, I know that Intel nowadays has celerons, pentiums, i3, i5, i7, divided into generations with latest being kaby lake, and all of that running on 6 same chipsets with latest being series 100 or 200. All of these CPUs run on a socket 1151. All have iGPU.
I am ignoring existence of 2011 for now.

Anyway, what are the equivalents from AMD? I want to get back on track since it seems ryzen might be good.
>>
>>58397056
>as a teen
>a teen
>admitting your age on an mongolian basket weaving forum
you must be 18+ to use 4chan
underage b8
>>
>>58396238
>I'm really comfortable using Windows 7
Then stay on windows 7. I know I am. 2020 is still far away in terms of tech, it's still a tossup whether vulkan or dx12 will dominate gaming on desktops.
>>
>>58397315
Not the same anon but he could easily be 18 or 19.
>>
>>58397286
all the information you need is easily searchable, do your own work
start with AMD parts in pcpartpicker if you're so ignorant
>>
>>58397352
18 or 19 is not teenage years
because you can be put in jail instead of juvie at 18+
18+ is considered manhood by every single law that can land you in a real jail
>>
How's Toshiba for external HDD? I might buy a 1TB one to keep my stuff for now, since I don't have a lot of data anyway.
>>
>>58397382
>18 & 19 is not teenaged
>literally ends with the suffix "teen"
Bitch please.
>>
>>58397382
What the fuck are you talking about? No one else on earth uses your definition for teenage; oxford defines teenage as "denoting a person between 13 and 19 years old."
>>
what is the word on replacing windows with tails
>>
>>58397133
ok
>>
What's a good voice recording app? Save files to SD card, specify bitrate, quick and easy to start recording.
I liked the UI and features of of Hi-Q mp3 Voice Recorder but 10 min free limit is annoying.
>>
File: 1483802453839.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1483802453839.png
98KB, 612x491px
How to use streamlink with MPC-HC?
>>
So i decided to get a 1440p IPS monitor.

I have heard that 5ms vs 1ms is practically nothing and each monitor is different (even if it is marked as 5ms/1ms). Is this true?

Also, 60hz or higher? I am stuck on whether or not this makes a difference.
>>
In this game there is this store that sells an item X that expire at the end of the week and a player can buy things only once each time.At the end of the week the store resets and the item X can be bought again once and expire at the end of that week. How would you implement this? In a database would you just have one entry for item X and change the expire column? Or would you have multiple unique entries in the table for the item named X and the different weeks they expire?
>>
Is painting over the red gaymur shit on the Acer XB271HU a bad idea? The monitor has what I want in my price range but the awful red feet and chrome PREDATOR logo are offensive to my eyes.
>>
I'm new to using TOR and have been having difficulty accessing onion sites. Not a pedo or anything, just a bad goy with insatiable curiosity.

I can access The Hidden Wiki and also the Virginia Tech Steam Tunnels site, but just about everything else fails to load, with the browser telling me that it timed out.

What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>58397637
nothing
99% of onion sites are dead, or come and go
>>
I had to replace my laptop's hard drive.

Where do I get Windows 7 and install it? Is there a reliable torrent?
>>
>>58397688
most popular on tpb should be fine
>>
Need fedora help, using two monitors my login screen on boot is the wrong way on my vertical monitor (secondary monitor, dvi) and after logging in I have one inactive unmovable mouse on the vertical monitor but weirdly only the first mouse shows up in screenshots
>>
File: 2107_Cletus_Laugh.gif (689KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
2107_Cletus_Laugh.gif
689KB, 624x352px
>>58397703
>>
>>58397703
>>58397720
Fuck, now I don't believe you.
>>
>>58397688
google and download an ISO, check the MD5 to make sure it's unmodified install it then do a daz loader crack or non software crack depending on your preferences
>>
>>58397688
Don't listen to the other idiot, please

Go to http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

It's a list of the official .iso that Microsoft used to provide on their own website.

Then, go to MyDigitalLife forum to get Windows Loader. That's where the creator, Daz, posts his software.

Burn iso, install Windows, activate with Daz Loader
>>
>>58396950
Is 8.1 good? I thought 8 was general poo poo
>>
>>58397737
nah you'll be fine
>get spied on by MS
>get spied on by random uploader (and MS)
what is difference
>>
>>58397759
this, or if you don't want to bother with digitalriver use the ms download/usb creation thingy
>>
>>58397760
>Is 8.1 good? I thought 8 was general poo poo

the ui is shit but in practice it makes zero difference, win key and start typing to open programs

the backend is improved in areas (copying files is much faster, the file copy dialogue is vastly improved for instance)

in general if you don't install the dodgy updates it'll be about on par with win7

>>58397720
>>58397703

if you can't figure out how to verify file hashes to hashes microsoft provide what the fuck are you doing on a tech board

>>58397688

find an 'untouched' iso, verify hashes with hashes microsoft provide, don't touch the crack those torrents provide

>>58397716

the first issue can be solved by setting xorg conf manually (it doesn't need to be complicated) but try doing it through your drivers control panel first because that usually creates xorg confs
>>
what is the "best" kde distro? preferably one that does not include the small bits and bobs that kde does not do well with, like their version of software center, and a relatively bare install
>>
is there any reason to choose a 'modern' psu as opposed to an older one? like, will an older model cause trouble with new motherboards or cause trouble during sleep mode and stuff?
>>
My PSU is 450W.

Does that mean it uses the same amount of electricity as 7.5 60W incandescent light bulbs?
>>
Name of program that monitors your network traffic? Wave something or rather. I want to monitor Windows for outbound telemetry.
>>
>>58397976
if you mean it's just been sitting around unused, then sure it's probably fine, if it's a used one well it's more likely to go out at some point and possibly fry some shit when it does
>>
>>58398008
My current PSU has been running for over 8 years at this point.
>>
The power cord for my usb hub is loose and if you even as much as touch the wire it will disconnect
What do you call those type of power cords/ what would be a good way to fix that?
>>
>>58398047
post a pic
>>
>>58397546
>I have heard that 5ms vs 1ms is practically nothing

60hz is 16.7~ms per frame
144hz is 7~ms per frame

if your total display lag is less than this you won't notice it

if it's more than this, it's a frame delay per 16.7/8.3/7ms, you won't notice this

>and each monitor is different (even if it is marked as 5ms/1ms).

the quoted 1/5ms refresh rate figures are for grey to grey frames, it's not as relevant as say 20% white to 80% grey to 20% white or colour to colour refresh rates, so while they may very well achieve 1/5ms "refresh rate" it's a meaningless marketing figure

most monitors have a total display lag of about 5-30ms+ which is fine for 99% of people, monitors advertised towards gamers tend to do at most 15-17ms total display lag or much lower, see pic related

just look up a review for your particular monitor and there's likely some actual tested display lag figures rather than quoted marketing wank

>Also, 60hz or higher? I am stuck on whether or not this makes a difference.

free/gsync is a huge difference - no more tearing in games and when your frames drop below a particular rate(1) the motion will slow down as if in slow motion rather than stutter

120/144hz results in *much* smoother motion on everything, I found moving windows around on the desktop to be a really smooth experience, it was a little hard to discern in games when it got to the meat of it but I'm sure it's something that you'll miss if you go back to using a slower refresh rate monitor after a while

if your gpu supports free/gsync I'd personally go for that over 120/144hz but either way both are a huge premium in price, do your research

(1)(it varies for freesync so make sure you check the detailed technical specs or review sites, some only do 54hz to 60hz synced frames (purely to put the sticker on the box) when really it should be 30-35hz to 60hz of synced frames)

fwiw ips tends to result in slower refresh rates than tn but you should find good <16ms 60hz ips monitors
>>
>>58397994

wireshark?
>>
File: 1310190179002.jpg (93KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1310190179002.jpg
93KB, 300x300px
>>58390831
>tfw your image of the key secretly gives you cancer
>>
>>58398108
That was it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>58397460
bump
>>
I was thinking about buying a new monitor (Dell U2515H).
Are there new models coming out soon? Will older models drop in price?
>>
>>58397976
>My PSU is 450W.
>Does that mean it uses the same amount of electricity as 7.5 60W incandescent light bulbs?

no, it means it's rated to supply 450w but the actual draw will depend on what components you have and the load on those components

think of it like a tap, your tap might put about about 15 litres of water a minute but you might only need 3 litres a minute to wash some dishes, but if you want to go balls to the wall and fill the sink as quickly as possible you open it up to 15 litres a minute

(it's unlikely your pc will draw >400w for reasons I won't go into, but it's also likely it'll draw 50-150w on idle, maybe 200-350w on load, just get a power metre they're cheap)
>>
Came back from a weeklong vacation and then my pc has a hard time having a stable wired connection. Not only that, it fucks up the connection of the whole network, as in connection timed out occurs when pinging google. When the pc is not plugged, the network becomes normal. Am I right in deducing my motherboard NIC is kill?
>>
why do they call it a laptop if people always have them on a desk
>>
Are there gonna be multiple AMD Vega cards, like a budget one? Or just one to compete with the higher end NVIDIA cards
>>
my shitty laptop is falling completely apart, from the fan making loud noises, to the hard drive loading slower, to the hinge breaking to the point where i need to wedge something in there for the screen to work and i can't safely close the thing
i've been wanting to build a good desktop computer for some time (despite not knowing much about building one) and i'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment and i only make ~$300 a month after expenses
what do i do about this situation? i'm not sure how much longer this thing will last
>>
>>58390831
Can somebody explain to me what VOIP is?

I just lost a job opportunity that turns out was work from home. I didn't know it was work from home at all, I thought it was a government call center but its some home call bank... thing... whatever point is I didn't get it because I didn't have "a VOIP line" and they laughed when I said I had a Skype number.

Anyway, i though VOIP was something like Skype, but apparently its a separate line you need to call the cable company to run?
>>
>>58398360
it's a meme
>>
Are there any elegant, high performance object oriented languages?
I love the beauty of C - you can express basically the entire language on a few sheets of A4. I'm looking for something as elegant as that, but with objects. I'm sick of C++ where there's a million ways to do each individual thing and each one has it's own gotchas.
>>
>>58398212
they also use non-metric system, let them be
>>
>>58398411
>I'm sick of C++ where there's a million ways to do each individual thing
That's going to be the case with any language with a well-defined standard library.
>>
File: oneplus-logo.png (4KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oneplus-logo.png
4KB, 1200x1200px
Ive got an Android phone (OnePlus 3) and its pretty royally fucked.
I can't boot it into the system or into recovery. ll I have access to is fastboot.
I have tried flashing a new working recovery image and it still doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea on what I could try?
>>
>>58398496
>That's going to be the case with any language with a well-defined standard library.

No, it isn't.

Add a thorough library to C and you still have a tidy language.
>>
>>58398360

voip is skype/mumble/teamspeak/etc and the like, except some more traditional voip providers realised that voip can basically make traditional landlines redundant so they started packaging "voip" for normies by offering "voip lines" that can connect to traditional phone lines/mobiles with your own "voip number" by using an "ip phone" that require subscription services to be able to call normal phone numbers (the phones come free with the subscription service, naturally, more on this below)

the person laughing at you (very unprofessionally) probably did so because they thought you were a mongoloid that didn't realise skype is a "voip line" but what they don't realise is that skype/voip predates the idea that microphones and pcs can be connected to traditional landlines and that "voip" and voip subscription services are entirely different

so basically, a "voip line" is a subscription service you pay out the ass for (for something that's basically free) that gives you a traditional number that landlines can call, and you can call landlines, expect to pay about as much as a traditional phone

there are no wires/physical lines, you just need an internet connection, you can use software (skype) or hardware (ip phones) but that's about it
>>
Has anyone here had any success selling old computer parts on Craigslist? I want to sell an MSI Z170-A PRO and a Define R5, both for $50.
>>
>>58398703

I find Craigslist to be great for giving stuff away, and absolutely miserable for selling stuff.
>>
Weird and Annoying problem.
>When talking in Teamspeak there's a sudden static/crackling/popping that goes away as sudden as it appeared.
I've captured a 2 min record, where the last 10 sec is a good example what the difference between tha static and the "normal state" is.

>it's not a driver problem
I've re/installed drivers
>it's not an OS problem
Appears on Win as well as Linux
>It's not an Headset Problem
My old one and the new one have the same problem.
>It's not an USB problem
I've plugged out every port and it didn't disappear
>It's not a jack problem
front/reas on motherboard, also my Soundcard
>It's propbably not an outlet problem
I switched the outlet, yet it persists
>It's not an power distributer problem
plugged directly into the wall, same shit

Here's a recording of it, however it's more hearable on TS whith the "voice focus" option (don't know how it's alled in the english client)
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZA878RtzYH

I didn't have this problem until 1 and a half moths ago, and i can't get rid of it sine, whatever i try to do, I need help, this is driving me and my TS-mates crazy AF. I'm muted 8ß% of the time because of this BS.
>>
>>58398731
Is it just on Teamspeak?
>>
>>58398731

What headsets are you using?

I was going to suggest reassigning ports to eliminate the possibility that your input jack is bad, but you said you swapped front/read AND a second soundcard....
>>
>>58398731

Did you go into your mixer and disable *all* sound devices (input and output) except for the ones you're actually using?

I listened to the sound file and that really sounds to me like the system is recording from a jack that's not actually plugged in.
>>
>>58398922
No. It's not limited to Teamspeak. Used Win7 Audio Recorder and sat there doing literally nothing to record the Audio. No BGM or anything.

>>58398937
Sennheiser 360 Headset

>>58398954
Yes.
>>
>>58398937
>>58398978
I'm sorry, it's not the PC 360, it's actually a Sennheiser PC 320. Just checked on Amazon
>>
>>58398726
Would I have better luck on ebay? I would hate to have parts sitting around that aren't getting any use.
>>
>>58398726
this
sell on craigslist and you're likely to get robbed and or stabbed
>>
Is Atom better than Sublime 3? Why or why not.
>>
Planning out a hidden room in my house, how can I run a bundle of wires through a fake wall without it looking suspicious? or will I just have to run the cables through the attic? need to run ethernet for internet and misc cables for cctv
>>
Can I use Primochill revolverSX fittings for soft tubing? Or just rigid?
>>
>>58399102
vim is the best IMO, lightweight and incredibly customizable
>>
>>58390831
Can anyone help me figure out what to do so I can repair my windows with sfc scannow? Sfc and dism aren't working and are both giving errors, please help.

log of sfc here http://pastebin.com/SBds37Lq
>>
Hey /g/, so I know nothing about tech but I was wondering something
Why doesn't youtube implement an ad system that can't be adblocked?
I'm guessing there's just some sort of limitation that makes this impossible or something, because otherwise they would have gotten around it.
What is it that makes unblockable advertising so impossible?
>>
>>58399456
Theyre close.

Using AdBlock makes 99% of ads unskippable.
>>
>>58399476
what are you talking about
adblock doesn't work on youtube anymore?
>ublock user here
>>
I NEED HELP. I created a torrent using bit torrent, added the directory and, hit create, saved the file, and it started seeding. then I changed my mind and stopped seeding it. Then I find out my original files are now missing. any ideas why? or how to get them back?
>>
>>58399476
Is that why there's always a pause before the video starts playing?
>>
what are the actual differences between DDR3 ram and DDR4
>>
if anyone can help i will gladly appreciate it. i have a folder with couple hundred pdfs and i want to delete some of them. the ones i want to delete have no spaces they were merged in the current folder on accident, is there a way i can search and delete specific pdf files without spaces, and leave the pdf files with spaces undeleted?
>>
sup g
I have win 10 on an 500gb ssd. I want to install 7 on another drive and Ubuntu on another drive and make a 3 OS machine. I have another 500 gig ssd and a 1tb WD blue hdd...
I want the win 7 to be for virtual machines and general fuckery, the linux for fucking with linux, and the 10 for gaymez....

Ubuntu on the SSD and Win 7 on the hdd???
>>
File: CwKGseLWgAAJO5R.jpg (218KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CwKGseLWgAAJO5R.jpg
218KB, 1200x1200px
Do people still use madVR?

I got random crashing with it, later got a new PC, same thing. Switched to EVR and zero problems. Should I be using 64 bit MPC instead or something?
>>
File: IMG_20170108_213051.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_213051.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
My PC that I just build won't connect to the internet through Ethernet. I think pic related is the problem. How do I fix this? I was told to download a driver and install it onto my new PC with a flash drive but I don't know what a driver is or what to look for. Help please /g/
>>
File: 600full-alexis-bledel.jpg (292KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
600full-alexis-bledel.jpg
292KB, 600x757px
I need to choose between two PSUs.

CPU: A10 5800K (100W)
GPU: RX 480 8GB (150W, 8-pin)
1 sata dvd drive
2 sata 3.5 HDDs
1 sata 2.5 HDD
1 molex case fan

Choices:
XFX P1-400B-XTFR (400 W)
Gamemax GP-500 (500 W)

Both have enough cables. Your input guys?
>>
>>58400095
install chipset drivers
>>
>>58400095

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's site. Look for device drivers. Download them. Install them. Reboot.
>>
>>58400095
Your motherboard came with a CD. Install the network/LAN driver from it.
>b-but I fell for the no optical drive meme and cant use a disc!
then find another computer and use a tool like imgburn or virtual clonedrive and rip the disc, then mount it on the new machine. OR just google "<motherboard model number> LAN driver" and copy that to your flash drive instead.
>I don't know what a driver is
incredible. you're in over your head lad, but you took the plunge and you're better off.
>>
File: ann.jpg (2MB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ann.jpg
2MB, 1280x1920px
Should I pull the trigger on a E5-575G-53VG?

Want it for shitpost in general, multitask, some gaming, watching YT 1080@60fps..
>>
How good is [general] image recognition software?
* Attached is a random anime image from Safebooru: https://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=random ---> https://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=471106
* Can any image recognition software result in these tags after "viewing" this image?:
** blue_eyes boots breasts brown_hair cleavage dagger elbow_gloves fantasy gloves hat highres knife long_hair navel original panties simosi simple_background solo staff tactics_ogre thigh_boots thighhighs underwear wand weapon witch witch_(tactics_ogre) witch_hat
** The artist, character, and copyright tags would be the most difficult for the computer program to secret.

Is this software free or not? Non-free version (is there a torrent of it?): http://www.generalpicturerecognition.com/download.php
(Also the dialectic of hierarchical organization vs. non-hierarchical organization needs to be considered: http://www.generalpicturerecognition.com/info6.php , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booru , https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Topics and https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:OVERCAT)
>>
>>58400166
Thank you very much. I have the CD that came with the motherboard and I thankfully bought an optical drive.

You are a big help.
>>
>>58400202
good luck getting everything working, anonymous!
>>
>>58399456

this is going to be a long answer but...

>Why doesn't youtube implement an ad system that can't be adblocked?

they can, it's incredibly easy, but not only does it piss off users it pisses off content creators (and adds a bunch of extra processing, but it's not as much of an issue now as it was in 2006), all they'd need to do is hard bake the ads into the video content itself, you can't request the video and not the ads because it comes as one file

of course this leads to other issues which you kind of allude to,

>because otherwise they would have gotten around it.

they don't want to get around ad blockers by forcing them to view ads

you have to understand, the only people who generally care about people who block ads are entitled butthurt content creators and maybe people who sell ads, otherwise people using adblockers is a drop in the bucket at best or a part of doing business at worse

when youtube struggles they squeeze the content creators by reducing payouts per view, per click etc, it's no skin off of their back if people use adblockers but it creates a demand for other solutions, such as youtube red, which if you don't know is a youtube subscription service that removes ads along with a bunch of other faff (it's not available in my country so I don't care), this is similar to what other video platforms like twitch do

the thing is ad payouts are generally pretty poor, getting people to cough up $5 a month or whatever to remove ads is a far, FAR better payout for that single user than it ever will result in money from displaying ad revenue for that user, and it helps both the advertiser (google, but picture a different advertising company for a second) and the people who sell ads because suddenly those people who could be and maybe are using ad blockers are now paying money on top of it, resulting in higher revenue from ads all around

continued on second post,
>>
>>58400098
Neither, at least get one from a reputable brand.
>>
File: cc and ayyybola.png (294KB, 916x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cc and ayyybola.png
294KB, 916x1024px
>>58390831
Trying to teach myself Python.
Which book is the better learning material?
Diving into Python or Python for Dummies?
>>
>>58400201
Random furry image:
* URL: http://furry.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=random ---> http://furry.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=579891
* Tags: backsash bible blue_body blue_eyes blush book building church cross cute earth_pony equine fan_character girly grass habit hair hill horse looking_at_viewer male mammal mane my_little_pony nun outside pony solo stained_glass standing two_tone_hair
>>
1. should I use Opera or Edge

2. what search engine should I use
>>
>>58400343
edge
bing
>>
>>58400367
why
>>
>>58400201
Random redpill image:
* URL: http://redpill.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=random ---> http://redpill.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=23911
* Tags: 1:1_aspect_ratio abortion baby character_name english_text hair heart human lowres negro photo pink_clothes sparkle text
>>
>>58399456

with that said, the technical side is a lot more interesting if a little simplistic

when you request a webpage the request is just that, the browser asks for the elements of the page (html, css, javascript, images (if you click them, thumbnails if not), embedded stuff (flash, html5 etc)), and the server can dictate some stuff too like what's displayed where (html, css, js) but in general the browser (+ addons) decides what the browser does

so if you want to display ads on a browser you have a few options, the simplest option becomes the harder thing to block, simple static text/image based ads, of course advertisers don't like these because there's no analytics on static ads and advertisers want people browsing other websites for even more analytics

so you can add slightly more powerful/dynamic ads through plugins or other browser features, such as flash (which, coincidentally, is very likely a large reason adblockers are as pervasive as they are now) and popups, but these become easier to block since the flash is generally hosted on a server server (typically advertisement delivery networks) which are predictable and stand out (you're not just requesting content from one website now but two)

ads embedded in javascript are an extension of this, just as easy to block once the adblockers adapt

beyond this there's not much progression, adblockers whitelist and blacklist at the host level, you can add ads in custom html/js elements that are hosted on that site but if your site isn't small you don't want to (and adblocking lists will update to block these elements), occasionally people find a way and ads slip through using some new technology but adblockers tend to adapt pretty quickly (an example is when sites started switching to html5 video over flash video)

cont again
>>
"The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"
for the love of god, does anyone have a solution to this bullshit
>>
preface: i am dumb

I made a partition in Arch using some unallocated space. I went to format the partition when I got some error message so I went to double check that I wrote the partition.

I accidentally hit -o in fdisk and I think I overwrote the MBR. When I look at my partition in Windows, everything is normal but the disk management tool still shows the space I set aside as unallocated.

When I go back to Arch install, fdisk -l now just shows one /dev/sda instead of /sda1, /sda2, etc

Am I fucked?
>>
What is better.

4TB WD Black or 4TB WD Red for storage?
>>
>>58400409
does this mean a similar adblock mod could be created for spotify as well?
or does spotify work on another system
because i would loooove to block me some spotify ads
>>
Where can I get free stream keys?
>>
>>58400430
Steps:
1. Close the other programs that access that file
2. Restart the computer to see if it still fails
3. Maybe use the Unlocker software
4. Help me with this: >>58400201
>>
>>58400409

so you end up with a situation where the simple, harder ways to block ads aren't popular because advertising companies are greedy and want invasive analytics, harder ways to show ads end up being blocked relatively quick and are fairly rare (like the switch from flash to html5 video), so advertising companies have to find new ways to innovate and show ads, or just accept that a percentage of all users will block ads (and adblockers are very much in the minority, only osx blocks ads by default as far as I'm aware)

ways to innovate include things like, well, moving to new markets such as mobile apps, it's incredibly hard to block ads without root and even with root you have far more control over an app than you do a users browser even with javascript

so while companies could try to prevent adblocking on web browsers a little more there's some drawbacks that I neglected to mention (slower computer/mobile devices don't tend to like javascript heavy websites, especially if all that javascript is trying to do is to display ads) not to mention the time investment is not worth it when adblockers adapt incredibly quickly

to summarise, browser asks, server gives, browser doesn't ask, browser doesn't display

sorry for the rambling
>>
>>58400435
Help pls...
>>
>>58400518
1. there are none
2. not a viable solution
3. didn't work
4. not my area of expertise
>>
>>58400476
>or does spotify work on another system

in theory both the ads and music would be spent by spotify but apparently they do use some separate ad networks

I don't use spotify so take this with a grain of salt (and please excuse the leddit link but):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/4kn6rq/comprehensive_guide_to_blocking_ads_on_spotify/

give that a try (maybe be a bit skeptical of those programs) and see how it works

however I wouldn't be surprised if spotify could easily prevent such easy blocking methods and do/are doing so, the spotify platform is fairly locked down and they could reasonably engineer it so you couldn't do much without reverse engineering the spotify player
>>
>>58400527
i love it man
if everyone answered questions like you do 4chan would be a beautiful place
didn't expect anything this in depth, why do you know so much bout this particular topic?
>>
>>58400435
>>58400556

the partitions are still there but the mbr has been overwritten

testdisk might be able to recover the mbr but if not you'll have to research how to recover from an overwritten mbr

the partitions are still there (assuming you don't go and do something stupid like start writing data to the disk) and should be untouched and the surefire way of recovering data is using something like photorec (also a part of testdisk) but this works by brute forcing the disk and picking off anything that resembles a file, you end up with hundreds of folders of hundreds of unnamed files, ideally you'd try to recover the mbr with testdisk first

good luck and make backups next time (and don't try to recover data to the disk you're recovering it from)
>>
>>58400630
god dam these guys are bringing out everything to the table
great link man, i sure as hope something on there will work
thanks
>>
>>58400655
>didn't expect anything this in depth, why do you know so much bout this particular topic?

years of being a neckbeard with a slight interest in programming

you, too, can grow hair on your neck! it just takes a little time and dedication
>>
>>58400686
hmm sumtings fishy i feel you're not giving me the full story here
what's the deal adman
why all the secrecy
>>
So i'm planning to buy this phone: http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_563920.html

It's not an "international" version or whatever, but will i be able to install the world rom on it, or whatever it's called?
>>
>>58400175
respond
>>
>>58400466
They both store files just fine. Black for performance, Red if whatever you're storing doesn't depend on having a fast drive. For storing your Chinese cartoon porn and other such media, Red is more than good enough.
>>
>>58393385
install cyanogenmod
>>
>>58400175
>>58400737
where'd this "pull the trigger" thing come from
I thought this was a phrase only I knew, now I'm hearing it everywhere
>>
>>58397341
What player is that?
>>
>>58390831
Would like my case to be not roaring loud with stupid fucking stock AIO fans

Do I just need an EK loop? Fucking h100i v2 is a jet engine if you set a 6700k to 4.6+ Ghz
>>
File: router.png (33KB, 776x689px) Image search: [Google]
router.png
33KB, 776x689px
Sometimes i lose internet acces and i get this "denied" thing in the router.
How can i fix this? it happens anywhere between 1AM and 10 AM
>>
Does anyone know the URL to an online library called Aleph ? Learnt about it on an old article but can't find it anywhere. Does it still exist ?
>>
so usually on boot I get the message kvm disabled by bios printed two times then fedora boots like normal, I recently installed nvidias proprietary drivers, now when I boot I just get the same message but flashing forever and I never boot into fedora, tried the built in recovery tool and it doesn't work - I can get a basic grub session working but that's it - what do I do?
>>
>>58393813
Provide an alternative solution to educate everyone then.
>>
Is it possible to use my atnt phone with unlimited data as a hotspot?

Also how can you view deleted history on an android phone.
>>
>>58401524
if you have it rooted you should be able to
>>
>>58401524
Ps my phone is a note 3 non jailbroke or flashed
>>
Need help with Python

I'm getting
line 272, in shuffle
x[i], x[j] = x[j], x[i]
TypeError: 'range' object does not support item assignment

The random.shuffle is called here
# Shuffle the ordering of all image files in order to guarantee
# random ordering of the images with respect to label in the
# saved TFRecord files. Make the randomization repeatable.
shuffled_index = range(len(filenames))
random.seed(12345)
random.shuffle(shuffled_index)

none of this is my code by the way.
Just trying to run TensorFlow Inception
>>
>>58401534
Weekdays the best way to root a note 3?
>>
>>58400970
we all decided to copy you at the last big 4chan meetup
>>
>>58401185
You just need a bigger rad, better airflow, or better contact with the CPU. Try replacing the thermal paste and making sure the fans aren't blocked. Also, make sure it's not suffocating in case heat.
>>
>>58397585
Have the item apply a "buff" to the player's account state for a set period of time. Do this based on a time that isn't affected by daylight savings if you are using real time.
Apply a tag "xyz" to this buff so that a player can't buy/use items with tag "xyz" while the buff is active. A step further would be allowing a player to apply a better buff (higher % in same stat or whatever)

Example: you have items that provide 10/20/30% exp gain. All of these should have the same tag ("exp_boost_xyz"). Buy one, player has the given buff (exp gain +10/20/30) and a "debuff" (exp_boost_xyz).

If you want redundancy, you can also timestamp the debuff. When store resets, clear buffs and tags for everything with timestamp < current store week (again, base time on something not affected by daylight savings if using real time)
>>
>>58401351
Have you tried enabling KVM in the bios?
Virtualization shit.
>>
>>58401637
i copied you some siblings at the last ur mom meet up
fag
>>
How risky is using utorrent/tpb on win10? Haven't torrented anything in months
>>
>>58390831
I was offered a logitech K400r (a keyboard)
And I don't know how to enable middle click with two fingers on this touchpad (using Windows 10)

Any help ?
>>
>>58390831
Can a cooler fan be powered by phone charger?
>>
How can I check if my GPU is dying? I don't have a replacement graphics card and it can survive benchmarks like furmark. I just want to be sure it is my graphics card that is fucked before I buy a new one.
>>
What is a good Java library to scrape websites with JavaScript loaded content.
>>
Why does the price of external hard drives fluctuate so much and when can we expect them to go back down?
>>
>>58401821
I have few suggestions.

>When it starts creating artifacts like no tomorrow
>When temps hit high af
>When you get frequent BSODs.
>>
>>58400098
Go nuts on XFX.
>>
>>58401854
Thanks for the suggestions, I am getting nothing of the sort though I am only getting really bad FPS drops in games so I guess I don't even know if it is the graphics card.
>>
is there any way to watch netflix without chrome?
>>
>>58401835
Depending on the purpose you could just use a use a docking station to hook up an internal hard drive.
>>
>>58401720
If you're sharing files via torrent, your main privacy concern is not going be Windows 10.
>>
Anyone have that ubuntu home server guide in pic form that has you SSH in? If not any equally simple guides? I have my PC all set up just installing ubuntu now.
>>
>>58398122
>>>/g/ptg
>>
>>58401913
How would the price compare?
>>
File: K400R.jpg (70KB, 665x286px) Image search: [Google]
K400R.jpg
70KB, 665x286px
>>58401736
Addendum: The software propose this option:
2 fingers click = right click
But I don't know what to do in regedit, nothing works
>>
Which service for offsite backup do you use?
>>
File: Shops.png (53KB, 1180x579px) Image search: [Google]
Shops.png
53KB, 1180x579px
>>58390831
Can I trust any of these retailers?
Amazon and Carphone Warehouse has just massively raised the price of a device I wanted to by by around £100, so I could potentially make a £200 saving but I have never heard of any of these
>>
my new gpu says it needs 500w psu with 30amps.
does the 30amps needs to be on a single rail? my psu has 2 rails of 24amps each
>>
How do I unlock SIM on my phone /g/?
I bought it from a guy in Serbia but it's locked to one specific provider.
I tried entering IMEI. What do I enter then?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.