[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad wore out the blades in his planer and now I have them.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

My dad wore out the blades in his planer and now I have them.

They look kind of like this but a lot longer. How do I grind them into a knife shape but without overheating the edge? Also how do I drill holes for rivets? It's made of hard steel and drill bits won't bite into it.
>>
This isn't the board you're looking for
>>>/diy/
>>
>>58254494
Nah, I want neckbeard ideas. Last time I went there everyone started talking about Harbor Freight. It sucked.
>>
>>58254485
What drill bits did you try? You can get bits specifically for metal. You could use a bench grinder to get the right shape, then file, then honing stone. You're probably better off asking this on /diy/
>>
you're going to want to get them red hot (with a forge. you can make this at home if you're crafty) and sledge + anvil to a blade
after that, find a bench grinder, set an angle. maybe 15 degrees. idk a good angle for knives.
you'll also want to heat treat the steel after you get it to its shape. you want to heat it up with blow torch (preferably oxy/fuel, but blowtorch is more accessible) till it starts to take that rainbow oxidation and then dunk it into water

- professional welder

also saged cause wtf this isn't even technology
>>
>>58254738
>iron age
>not technology

It's the technology that launched mankind into the modern era you drumpf.
>>
>>58254762
yea the topic of metal working and metallurgy in itself is technology
asking how to make a knife isn't a technology related topic
it's a /diy/ topic
>>
>>58254738
Why would you heat it then use a benchgrinder?
>>
>>58254485
Use cold water to dip cool the metal while you slowly grind the edge using a stationary electric grinder.

*note; These are most likely going to snap if you flex them. They are hardened steel, sharp and brittle.
>>
>>58254762
>Too retarded to google how to work steel
>My dad gave me bits of metal better go shitposting on 4chan
>Watches and unironically enjoys Current McYearson
It all makes sense now
>>
>>58254738
Planer knives are typically made of high speed steel. If you draw the temper you basically ruined it unless if you have specialized heat treating equipment.
>>
>>58254778
you don't bench grind when it's hot
you heat it to shape it down. it looks like those pieces of metal are at least 3/8 '' which is much to thick / heavy for a practical blade
>>
>>58254841
yea you're right on that. tempering prolly isn't the best way
would prolly go about annealing or spheroidizing
>>
>>58254485
If you insist on stock removal probably a bench grinder will serve, although it would be polite to buy another wheel because that much work on that kind of steel is going to ruin the old one. Alternately an angle grinder if you are skilled enough. A hack saw and rough bastard will probably work too although expect to wear out a couple of blades, the file and your arm. I wouldn't even consider a consider a chemical process.

As for ruining the temper, work slowly with a lubricant(water).
>>
>>58254485
>How do I grind them into a knife shape but without overheating the edge
By roughing them out with the grinder and then filing an edge on them.
Grinding will destroy the temper of any steel.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.