[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do we do about the technologically illerterate generation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: bdedcc4cfae743378a77479c448636ed.jpg (282KB, 1242x1187px) Image search: [Google]
bdedcc4cfae743378a77479c448636ed.jpg
282KB, 1242x1187px
What do we do about the technologically illerterate generation?
>>
>>58125965
You make AP Computer Science qualify as an elective and a foreign language in public high schools.
>>
>>58125965
Keep me in a job
>>
>>58125965
>technologically illerterate generation
you mean every generation
>>
>>58125965
Speak down to them.
Look down your nose at them.
Use the word 'normies' as often as possible.
Be smug at all times.
Loudly recite common Linux command strings in public while laughing.
Wear clothes with tech-related logos at all times.
>>
>>58126016
>>58128055
Both of these are acceptable.
>>
Depends which direction we are heading in?
Older generation should receive a minute hint of exasperation when they fail to pick up simple tasks after 3 or more tries.
Younger generation need to learn that the user friendly BS we pass on to our elders is not an expectable level of knowledge for them and that they need to learn more than how to go live on FB.
Current generation (15-35) needs to get their asses into gear and teach the other generations quickly.
We are about to loose this place.
Smile you're on candy cam.
Dey took R internez!
>>
No matter how furiously hard you try to pretend that "kids today" aren't into tech, even to the letter of how you say they act they are still even at that state 1,000 times better than any old person on their best day.

Kids can be a little against getting their hands dirty and do want things easy but if you show them why you're doing this, they will learn next day. Old people will fight you for DECADES. Let me repeat, not years, DECADES.

There is nothing wrong with the "current generation", we need to eliminate the old one first. it is not ok to say "Oh I'm computer stupid" and think you can still have a job, or say "well back in my day..." fuck you and fuck your day. you might as well say you're phone stupid or car stupid at a call center or if you're trying to be a truck driver.

old people are part of HR and jerk each other off and allow these shits to get jobs and they don't do fucking *SHIT* for 3-4 years at a time because 100% of the job is on the computer, and any time it comes up they just giggle and say "you know I'm no good with those computer things". great thanks for letting us know now fuck off and die
>>
>>58128250
Old people are allowed to be computer illiterate in the same way you kids are allowed to be lazy little shits.
We have one generation left were graft and tech combine and an actual fight can take place.
you wiry little sprogs are going to turn into the most brittle old folks and Viva la NWO for your grand kids.
>>
>>58128368
>old people are allowed to be computer illiterate
if they are retired. otherwise you are ruining the industry with this.

>Hi I can't use a computer
is as bad as if not worse than
>Hi I can't use a phone
>Hi I can't drive a car
>>
i teach them basic computer stuff.

literally, i teach a college class on it.

kill me
>>
>>58127919
/thread
>>
>>58128469
Is it that bad?
>>
>>58128469
Wait, basic stuff as in what?
>>
Make money off of them
>>
>>58128493
it's kind of fun, actually. the dumb students make you want to shoot yourself, though.

>>58128501
basically just what a college student needs to know. Microsoft office, browsing the internet, some basic operating system maintenance, anti-malware practices, etc.
>>
>>58125965
let them die
>>
ITT kids think they are the coal miners of yesteryear because they know safe handling with a TCP.
I have more respect for the man who knew safe handling on TNT.
All you self rightious snot nosed little cunts are gonna miss the graft when it's gone.
All you'll be left with is a tech job that equally hard work yet your stress levels are gonna be through the roof and the MAN is gonna know exactly how hard you're working and will be using algorithms to monitor how hard you're working and how much he can push your stress levels.
You think you're smart now but you'll soon learn there is always someone smarter.
In the words of my native board
>Cucks
>>
>>58125965
Nothing. I need a job for like 20 more years. Fuck them.
>>
>>58128055
>normies
>>>/r9k/
>>
nothing, the more of them there are, the higher the demand for tech literate, the higher my salary
>>
>>58127919
this
modern generations are overall more technically competent than any generation that preceded them, just because the internet highlights the retards that always permeated society doesn't necessarily mean there are more of them
>>
>>58125965
They are more technologically literate than you who is continually stuck using ancient technology. I bet you don't don't even know how to retweet on Twitter.
>>
>>58125965
>What do we do about the technologically illerterate generation?
Serve them, like you are trained and paid to.
>>
>>58129707
Wrong. According to a group of 50 year old secretaries, Millenials are totally technologically incompetent (aka can't sort spreadsheets) compared to their much more intelligent parents.
>>
>>58129847
And how often would you ever need to sort a spreadsheet?
>>
>>58129847
And let me guess, Gen Xers are much less technologically competent compared to Boomers because they don't know how to input punch cards.
>>
>>58129879
>t. technologically incompetent millennial

>>58129895
Exactly
>>
>>58129879
Dude...
kek
>>
>>58129879
>>58129895
>>58129897
>>58129847
boomers made up ageism, and continue to make it up. there is no gen X, gen Y, or Z aka millennial anymore, they change on a daily basis to fit boomer trends ie which new technology they don't want to learn. go look up half of the ageism charts and one will say X, Y, and millennial and the other will just say millennial and move the goalposts by saying you have to be an adult before 2000 and an adult is 30 now.

Modern solution to
>spreadsheets
is to have this thing called a "DATABASE" which you can then manipulate or display with a server side language. otherwise in terms of availability you might as well use visicalc
>>
>>58125965

younger generations aren't any more tech literate than the older generations.

I sell technology to schools. You'd be surprised how many kids only know how to use a chromebook and nothing else.
>>
>>58129707
>modern generations are overall more technically competent than any generation that preceded them

Wrong. Tech savviness has peaked and is on the decline. Blame modern companies for cultivating the mentality of expendable, non-serviceable devices that are being replaced by a new "flagship" every year anyway so there is zero incentive to take an interest in their internals, and blame software developers for catering to people's every single whim to the point where the only skill that is still being developed in daily IT use is "googling shit that will do something you want with as little input from you as physically possible".
>>
>>58125965
"mike the soft xl"
that's what she said!
>>
>>58130542
this
>>
>>58128430
>>Hi I can't drive a car
But I can't...

t. Software Engineer

It's ok, a few more years and nobody will even be allowed to drive cars
>>
File: 1482382407549.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
1482382407549.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>58128526
>"basic stuff"
>Microsoft office, browsing the internet, some basic operating system maintenance, anti-malware practices, etc.
>>
>>58130841
>It's ok, a few more years and nobody will even be allowed to drive cars
Keep telling yourself that, captain autismo
>>
>>58128055
Normalfag is the proper term around here, redditor
>>
>>58128701
>t. 50 year old faggot still posting on an anime imageboard

please die already, what are you waiting for?
>>
>>58128238
>loose
lose*
>>
>>58129707
>modern generations are overall more technically competent than any generation that preceded them
Have you been around anyone under 20? Tablets have ruined them.
>>
>>58126016
But the entire language only has about 20 words.
>>
>>58131880
the "why" is just so that they're prepared to do the work they'll need to do at my university (papers, presentations, online research) and they won't bother our tech support staff with as much bullshit regarding malware and such.

When I say "basic operating system maintenance" i mean running disk cleanup, disk defragment, and updates. All on Windows machines.

"anti-malware practices" is just "don't fucking fall for phishing scams, install an antivirus program, and use a good password"

You might think that the 18-20 year olds that typically are in the class wouldn't need it, but there are always several people who don't know what a fucking browser is.
>>
>>58132054
The english language only has 26 letters.
>>
>>58129847
probably because they've never had to and don't care to, doesn't mean they're incapable of it

>>58130542
don't kid yourself, the average office drone in the '80s didn't know shit about their computer's internals either, you'd be amazed how many systems I pull from the recycler that are marked up with permanent ink by people who couldn't even recognize an AT keyboard port

it doesn't take a ton of brain power to type
cd lotus

into a command prompt

>and blame software developers for catering to people's every single whim
no thanks, I'm not going to begrudge developers for designing software to serve a purpose and get a job done instead of masturbating some whiny CS undergrad's pompous moral crusade.

>>58132052
no shit there's a lot more dipshits using computers now, it doesn't mean much
>>
>>58125965
Nothing, you watch them burn and laugh at their misery.
>>
>>58130841
>But I can't...

get a fucking license son, it's not 1843 anymore.
You are a sw engineer, you can afford it.
>>
>>58134319
Why on Earth would I move to the bay area just so I can drive? Driving is for Flyoverville slop.
>>
>>58125965
Licensing
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.