[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 34

File: 1464505438091.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
1464505438091.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
Previously: >>58082555

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/707928

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
Reminder to install H64ify for your chromium so that your youtube videos won't lag
>>
>>58089780
You mean building it with h.264 support?
>>
I'm running Arch, guys!
>>
>>58090191
Learn to read
>>58090219
It's shite
>>
>>58090240
praise my choices more, brethren!
>>
>>58090240
dumb namefag
>>
if your using arch your a noob. just face it.
>>
I havnt seen arch users be elitist assholes in this thread even once, but people have been elitist assholes about arch all the time.
>OH MY GOOD IM CHOKING ON ALL OF THESE COCKS AND DROWNING IN CUM IM SUCH A FAGGOT LOOK AT ME IM USING ARCH BTW I LIKE ARCH YOU SHOULD USE ARCH
>>
>>58090285
>he couldn't install arch
>>
>>58090285
I'm on Arch, btw. Just sayin'
>>
off to a great start everyone. nobody lose sight of what's important!
>>
>>58090285
People in these threads are elitist all the time, the choice of distro doesn't matter.
>>
>>58090285
Atch is the best
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_is_the_best
>>
I bought a RasPi3 as a meme, but I dont know what to do with it. I rather have my little shit services like irc bouncers on AWS and I don't need a media center either.

Any ideas?
>>
>>58090343
Set up a Tor relay.
>>
>>58090343
I have a RasPi2 since over a year and still no real idea what to do with it, I'm just not creative
>>
>>58090330
but they're not doing it in reply to anyone here, they're just randomly interjecting with pretend faggotry punctuated by saying they're using arch or something. The fabled 'elitist, skiddie arch users' are nowhere to be seen, so its like some inexplicable attempt at propoganda or something.
>>
>>58090358
Lol, nope.
>>
>>58090374
>Lol
>>>/f/acebook
>>
>>58090366
Set up a Tor relay.
>>
>>58090330
>elitist
really a stupid and meaningless word here if you consider that any distro is easy as fuck. which means the barrier of entry to becoming "elite" is literally just reading skills
>>
I'd like your guys input on something I wanted to do for a while but haven't yet.

What I want:
Something so I can unblock certain region-blocked websites without having to route all my traffic through some VPN

What I currently consider:
Set up a VM that routes all traffic though VPN, then route traffic I want to unblock through VM.

Seems pretty bloated for the functionality though, someone has a better idea?
>>
>>58090398
rejected
>>
File: desk_converted(1).webm (2MB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
desk_converted(1).webm
2MB, 1080x720px
>>58089736
All my problems can be seen in this webm

1. When dragging files around on my desktop and trying to put them into my file manager, it doesn't know my file manager is there and just places them on the desktop.

2. I love the theme i am using (https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1099906/) but there is a problem, when i click and drag to make the select box, it had no transparency. I think it would be an easy thing to fix, but i do not know how to fix it. Which is really annoying, because i do not want to change.

3. On the directory in the quick selection thing on my file manager on the left (with documents, videos, pictures etc) Desktop does not show up there anymore? Yes i have done sudo dnf update and restarted, but that hasn't fixed anything. Any help would be great.
>>
>>58090717
Just wayland things in the name of security.

mv /home/cocksucker/Desktop/* /home/cocksucker/Downloads/Art/
>>
>>58090717
>that webm
wut

I thought Gnome3 had no desktop icons whatsoever
>>
>>58090717
People actually use Drag & Drop?
I'm surprised.
>>
Pulseaudio users with Creative soundcards (Audigy preferably): do you also get a crackling and popping sound when adjusting the volume?
>>
>>58090727
reeeee. Im not going into terminal to do that.

I want to drag and drop!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW
>>
>>58090717
>1. When dragging files around on my desktop and trying to put them into my file manager, it doesn't know my file manager is there and just places them on the desktop.
You probably enabled some feature that allows you to view icons on the desktop which is not the default behaviour in Gnome3.

>2. I love the theme i am using (https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1099906/) but there is a problem, when i click and drag to make the select box, it had no transparency. I think it would be an easy thing to fix, but i do not know how to fix it. Which is really annoying, because i do not want to change.
The theme was created and is maintained with Gnome version 3.18 and 3.20.
You're using Fedora which is considered bleeding edge distribution and updates packages frequently. Current version of Gnome in Fedora is 3.22.

Both those bugs are to blame onn Gnome.
You have to get used to it if youre using it..
Gnome developers are EXTREMELY anti-user in attitude and approach to development process.

Themes break with every release.

My advice is to just get accustomed to using Adwaita.
>>
>>58090728
>gnome tweak tool
>>
>>58090761
>You probably enabled some feature that allows you to view icons on the desktop which is not the default behaviour in Gnome3.
Nah i was able to drag and drop since Fedora 22.
Here is the setting in gnome tweak tool that has been here... for like ever.

>Gnome in Fedora is 3.22.
Right, didn't know they were updating Gnome. KIll me
>>
>>58090795
>>58090761

Maybe it's a Wayland issue. Make sure it's not that before blaming other less likely things.
>>
>>58090830
It is, like I mentioned above, Wayland limits interaction in the name of security. Think Android.
>>
>>58090844

>making such technically-not-backed-up claims
I bet you're one of those people who knows shit about the subject of display servers or Wayland itself, but you just keep repeating the same few claims.
Yes, it takes "security" seriously. It's still in its early days and you cannot possibly expect it to have all the features X has currently, after being in development for 20 years or more.

On a second thought, it could also be related to him using an unofficial hack which enables icons on the desktop.
>>
>>58091012
>gets worked up since someone acknowledges wayland's limitations

I never said it's a bad thing, though, calm down anon.
>>
>>58091096

I'm not "worked up" because of Wayland claims. I am disgusted by people doing that thing in general. When they pick up a few edgy sounding and bold opinions and adopt them just because they think it must be cool, since it's so contrarian. It makes up the majority of all discussions.
>>
>>58089736
I am pretty new to Linux and GNU os, I have read lots of wikis and guides. But I still have some questions.
1. What is the difference in terms of software between "server" headless versions of Fedora, CentOS, Suse, Debian and Arch apart from package manager?
2. Why different types of Linu kernels exist and does anyone have experience with one of them? Do they increase system performance?
3. Why do people, such as Arch users need latest versions of programs and utilities?
4. What is the difference between Arch and Bleeding edge Debian then?
5. Why not use backports on Debian? It provides stable packages and latest patches for them. Newest software often comes with more bloat, especially if it is something like DE, LibreOffice, browser (Firefox is fine on ESR, especially if you use custom configs which are always fucked up in newer versions). Having patches to kernel and other vital software is fine.
6. How to configure a kernel if I have some *old hardware platform with 10 year-old-cpu* and only suppose to use it "as is", without adding anyhing like new video cards or something like that. Also, I really don't need 486DX compability, so I need to remove legacy hardware support too. Is there a way to automate this process? Like run a script whick scans all systems devices, saves their kernel modules and deletes everything else, except maybe from some USB devices support or some pci controllers which are not video card for example, then merges it monolythically and compiles?
7. Why there are sometimes 3 programs that do the same thing shipped with base system installer? Obvious example: fdisk, cfdisk, parted.
8. Why there are only 2 types of programs: console utility with human unreadable arguments with obscure man page which is supposed for scripting and posix pipelining, which is fine, but then there is some horrendous bloated gui version of this written with gtk or qt?
Where is something in between? I want a comfy framebuffer program like in DOS times.
>>
File: iwkoqt.gif (496KB, 168x130px) Image search: [Google]
iwkoqt.gif
496KB, 168x130px
>>58091312
>>
What's the best file system for high-latency block devices?

Is there a way to optimize throughput otherwise, somehow with dm-cache or similar?
>>
>>58090844
>>58090830
alternative to
>>
File: tumblr_n8sdx8hpBb1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg (106KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8sdx8hpBb1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg
106KB, 500x674px
>>58091312
7. Fdisk just works so why take it out at it's size?
Cfdisk is Fdisk for GPT partitioned disks pretty sure.
>>
>>58091665
cfdisk is bios . Cgdisk is gpt.
>>
>>58092351
cfdisk is fdisk, but curses based.
>>
>>58091312

>1. What is the difference in terms of software between "server" headless versions of Fedora, CentOS, Suse, Debian and Arch apart from package manager?
That question makes no sense. The "server" versions of those distributions use the same package manager.

>2. Why different types of Linu kernels exist and does anyone have experience with one of them? Do they increase system performance?
Marginally at most. Enjoy your placebo. Stick to your distribution's kernel and only compile your own if you have nothing better to do or need specific features.

>3. Why do people, such as Arch users need latest versions of programs and utilities?
Why do you download the latest version of software on Windows?

>5. Why not use backports on Debian? It provides stable packages and latest patches for them. Newest software often comes with more bloat, especially if it is something like DE, LibreOffice, browser (Firefox is fine on ESR, especially if you use custom configs which are always fucked up in newer versions). Having patches to kernel and other vital software is fine.
Because it's contrived and probably a hell for the packages. It might not affect you, but it's easier to just follow upstream releases.

>>58092351

Cfdisk can handle GPT too.
>>
>>58090717
Use your file manager to drag your shit. You should have a folder in there called 'Desktop'.
>>
>>58090761
>Themes break with every release.
>My advice is to just get accustomed to using Adwaita.
Not anymore. The extensions and themes api is now stable.
>>
>>58092860
No it's not. I don't eve use GNOME all that much but some of the extensions I've used before aren't compatible with the newest version. The extension website literally tries to sort the incompatible extensions out. Wtf you doing coming in here talking bullshit?
>>
File: Selection_005.png (8KB, 342x113px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_005.png
8KB, 342x113px
>>58092860
>>58092963
>>
>>58089736
I've never used linux. My brother suggested Arch. Isn't that supposed to be for experienced users?
>>
>>58093289
Get Ubuntu.
>>
>>58093289
Being an experienced user i always an advantage, that's even true for Windows.
>>
Hey friends! I have an issue loading/installing Xubuntu on my machine (Dell Optiplex 7010)

I tried booting from USB and after a few screens (One had random letters and numbers on the top left, and another one had a solid color with a few lines going through) I got a Xubuntu loading screen but after a few seconds it just took me to a black screen with 3 dots on the top left. This same thing happens to me every single time I try.

I have also tried different USB drives in two different ports so I doubt that is the issue.

Anybody have any ideas how I can get it working? I really want to give this distro a try.

I have an i5-3470 and a GTX 970 if that is important.
>>
>>58093537
Can you switch tty?
Sounds like it could be graphics driver issues.
>>
>>58089736
question! I'm running gnome3 but firefox-dev doesn't like npapi plugins like the shell integration. Do I have to abandon this firefox and go to the ESR version?
>>
>>58093749
I was thinking the same thing but I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>58093289
>I've never used linux.
Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora should be a good starting distro.

>My brother suggested Arch.
>Isn't that supposed to be for experienced users?
Arch is fine when you know what you're doing. But for newbies, it's confusing as fuck... and for most advanced users, a waste of time.
>>
>>58093774
Ctrl + Alt + F4 (or F3 etc.)
>>
>>58093804
What would that do?
>>
>>58093816
switch to tty4 (or tty3 etc.)
>>
>>58093830
Thanks. Having trouble understanding how that would fix my issue, sorry I am a Linux noob.
>>
>>58093851
It doesn't fix things by itself, it's just useful for further steps and confirm the assumed problem.
>>
>>58093880
Alright. If that is the problem what do I need to do to get it fixed?
>>
>>58093778
>recommending Mint
>>
>>58091312
1. If you're comparing the server versions of those distros: some configurations and init.
2. Like the Zen kernel? "Vanilla" Linux needs to run properly on different architectures and for different target audiences, it does so with a [small] loss of performance. That said, even on a server, I wouldn't bother with that.
3. For most part it's about bragging rights, but some updates are required for security reasons and some (like DE updates) might bring interesting stuff in.
4. Arch won't break as much as sid, provided the user didn't dun goofed.
5. I guess the 3rd answer renders this moot. Just use the backports if you feel inclined to do so.
6. Download the kernel source code, mess with the configurations and follow some instructions. Sorry, it's the best I can help you with that.
7. Because the three programs do slightly different things OR there's a lot of disagreement on which one is the best.
8. Console programs are often made with the "KISS" philosophy in mind; as such, they're small and cryptic. The GUI frontends are supposed to cover multiple use cases, that's why they're so "bloated".
The middle ground wouldn't be as flexible as the console program or intuitive as the GUI.
>>
>>58093905
Then you know what to google for.
>>
>>58094016
Ok...
>>
>>58093994
If you want to discuss this, there's >>58089912 just for that.

But anyway. It's intuitive to use for most newbies and it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu.
>>
>>58094016
>recommending Google
>>
File: 1480986097776.jpg (644KB, 1244x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1480986097776.jpg
644KB, 1244x1536px
>>58093773
bump
>>
>>58094030
And Google will tell him to use proprietary drivers. Shocking.
>>
>>58094026
>But anyway. It's intuitive to use for most newbies and it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu.
Nah. Ubuntu is pretty much more lightweight than Mint.
>>
>>58094046
gtfo """H.M""", this isn't reddit
>>
>>58094026
>it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu
like, security
>>
>>58094068
mate, come on. friendly thread, I just need an answer, that's all.
>>
>>58094093
>I just need an answer, that's all
so you have no reason for namefagging, right?
>>
>>58094085
See the thread I linked, people are discussing that there.

>>58094053
"Vanilla" Ubuntu comes with Unity, that is crap.
If you're talking about Xubuntu, I agree, but YMMV about Xfce. (I like it, but plenty people would rather use something more modern-looking like KDE or Cinnamon).

In the end though, it's the same shit.
>>
>>58094108
sorta, I'm a namefaggot because I crave attention but also because I want all of you to see that I can help out sometimes rather than asking to be spoonfed. TL;DR I am an attention whore pls gib answer
>>
>>58093773
Did you remember to double-click the icon?
>>
>>58094139
which icon?
>>
File: Elisha-Ubuntu.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Elisha-Ubuntu.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
Is Xubuntu the best buntu? I am trying out Lubuntu right now and it is pretty damn slick.
>>
>>58094176
Lubuntu is meant for really old laptops/desktops. It has no compositor
>>
>>58094176
I prefer Lubuntu, but they're both pretty similar. Xfce is uglier in my opinion.
>>
>>58094156
DOUBLE CLICK THE SYSTEM 32 ICON! You are answer is there.
>>
>>58093537
Someone please help.
>>
>>58092977
>>58092963
And? i didn't say it worked on your version. I said the api is now stable, so if it works on 3.22, will work on nay future versions too.
>>
>>58094738
>>58092860
>Not anymore
It is currently affecting extensions.
Your English comprehension leaves something to be desired.
>>
>>58093778
>... and for most advanced users, a waste of time.
You don't know wtf you're talking about. It takes less than an hour to be up and running on a vanilla DE. And after you're done with the install it is actually easier than other distros because of pacman and yaourt.
>>
How do I make a bootable windows disk on linux?
>>
>>58094176
Ubuntu is ubuntu. If you are talking about DEs talk about DEs.
>>
>>58095232
This is great guide
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+make+a+bootable+windows+disk+on+linux

You can go that route or read up on how to use the dd command.
>>
>>58095288
Thanks
>>
>>58095232
dd won't work
>>
>>58095396
stop namefagging
>>
File: Selection_009.png (252KB, 404x580px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_009.png
252KB, 404x580px
>>58095396
Well it used to
>>
File: 2016-12-20_12-55-49-534552596.png (49KB, 852x527px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-20_12-55-49-534552596.png
49KB, 852x527px
How do you convert .ogv to .webm?

I'm having a problem after recording my screen, I put the clip into a video editor software and both of these video editors gave me the same white screen result but with audio. I recorded the screen with two different programs.

How do I go on about fixing this issue? Kdenlive gave me image related, any tips?
>>
>>58095717
ffmpeg -i ogg.ogg webm.webm
>>
>>58095756
Alright I'll try ffmpeg -i ogv.ogv webm.webm but I have to remove kdenlive to install ffmpeg rip.
>>
>>58095800
>to install ffmpeg
wat
>>
>>58095809
It had me remove kdenlive and vice versa.
>>
>>58095848
Your package manager is utter shit then they are independent
>>
>>58095860
It's synaptic on Debian. But probably apt would've said the same thing for some reason. I really need a fresh reinstall of this OS some day.
>>
>>58095895
Fresh install wont fix inherently poor pacakging.
>>
>>58095924
nice meme
>>
Ok its been years since I last used linux

So I boot up ubuntu, make some partition magic, install and reboot into windows....

So... where is grub? Can I modify the windows boot loader to at least include ubuntu? Or do I have to install and configure grub myself, and sequentially destroy everything because I have no idea what I'm doing?
>>
>>58095940
ffmpeg is stand alone application,that will in no way interfere with kdelive at all.
>>
Why is NVIDIA® Optimus™ such a hopeless piece of shit on Linux
>>
>>58096015
>He fell for the goyvidia meme
>>
>>58096015

Works well enough with bumblebee and optirun - use primus for 32 bit - what problem are you having?
>>
>>58095964
Google EasyBCD
>>
>>58095924
This
>>
Ok guys, this is my linux experience so far.

>Built new PC
>Decided to install Linux
>Install Kubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
>Takes 10+ hours to install because slow download speeds for some reason
>Once installed, won't display at anything but 1024x768
>Internet speeds are abysmal which makes installing any updated packages take hours
>Speed tests confirm I'm only getting like 0.05mbps download
>Upload speeds 8-15mbps
>Try a few fixes I found by searching
>None of them work

So at this point I somehow came to the conclusion that maybe my hardware was too new to be properly supported by 16.04.1 LTS so I decided to install Kubuntu 16.10

>Boot to Kubuntu 16.10 from USB
>Actually works in native resolution right away
>Mouse cursor (graphical) is stuck in place in top left corner
>Can move invisible cursor around and interact with things though
>Makes everything a pain in the ass
>Get through the installer prompts using keyboard only
>Same internet speed issues

So, right now it's slogging through a fresh 16.10 installation downloading packages at like 5-15kbps. I'm hoping it will be done when I get home from the office in 4 hours. Then I'll start a download of the latest nvidia drivers (nvidia-367 I think) because I read that it might have something to do with the mouse cursor issue. Who knows how long it will take with the fucked connection speed.

That said, could this be a hardware issue? It's a brand new motherboard and upload speeds appear to be more or less ok, I know it's not the cable or my network because I can plug my laptop in with the same cable and get full speeds.

I've got about one more night of trying to get at least my mouse, keyboard, display, and network adapter working properly at the very least before I say fuck this and just install Windows. Once all those things are working, I have the patience to get things set up, but without being able to even interact effectively with the desktop or download packages at a reasonable speed it's beyond frustrating.
>>
>>58096093
Try with arch.
>>
>>58096037
Bumblebee performance is pretty bad and my laptop gets kinda hot even when I'm supposed to be using integrated GPU.
And if I'm just using proprietary Nvidia driver without bumblebee I'm getting vsync issues in every DE. But at least I can switch between GPUs properly with PRIME (which requires logging out and only works on ubuntu)
>>
>>58095924
So, should I use sid instead of a stable debian build? I mean I know sid is kinda better cause you can have more freedom in what you install, but I don't know.
>>
>>58095426
>capcha is branching out into subjective shit now
glad v1 still exists
>>
>>58096093
Generally, if you have brand new hardware you'd check beforehand if it's supported by Linux.
I doubt it though. Ubuntu 16.10 should have something like Linux 4.8, that's not that old.
>>
>>58096093
If you're using iwlwifi, try 11n_disable.
>>58096170
Install Debian Testing (and don't listen to sjw/apt a shit trolls).
>>
>>58096212
Yeah I guess, I've just used debian stable for a long time and am too comfortable in it now, but the fact that I can't even install mpv is stupid. I've seen people like that tell me not to do it on IRC, but yeah, I should just get testing anyway. I know my way around the environment anyway.

Will do when I have time for a fresh install. But carrying my shit over might be a pain in the ass. Know anything that would backup my user settings over instead of just doing a copy/paste of my user directory? Or is that the only way?
>>
At the fundamental level, what is a distro? A package manager and collection of packages?
>>
>>58096265
>what is a distro?
A philosophy.
>A package manager and collection of packages?
No, those are just the consequences of a philosophy.
>>
>>58096170
It's a good idea to use aptitude on Debian based systems, which solves many issus pretty comfy compared to vanilla apt. Doesn't really matter what you install, but I'd suggest testing (more security, less breakage than Sid, which is completly upstream rolling).
>>
>>58096256
Just edit your sources file and it will upgrade your stable packages to testing. No need for a fresh install.
>>
>>58096265
A linux distro is simply its repository (package manager included).
>>
>>58096327
>>58096337
Ah alright thanks. I'll look up how it's done safely in a bit after I submit this video to my professor.
>>
>>58096126

If I give up on Ubuntu, I'll probably try at least one more distro before abandoning ship. I was considering Arch based on how in-depth the wiki is, and it seems like support for cutting edge hardware might be better with Arch.

>>58096146

I'll be able to provide logs and info when I'm back at home, unfortunately nothing I can do from here.

>>58096196

I built the computer without really having Linux in mind, but that said I didn't buy anything obscure. Asus Maximus VIII Ranger is my mobo. EVGA GTX 1080 Hydro Copper gpu, and i7 6700k cpu.

>>58096212

I don't think I'm using iwlwifi? There's no wifi adapter installed in the computer of any kinds. I'm using a wired connection.

I'm completely new to Linux and command line interface in general. If I've misunderstood something and I need to try this 11n_disable anyway what would the complete terminal command be?
>>
I'm toying with the idea of using KDE instead of MATE. What should I expect?
>>
>>58095396
>>58095232
It actually will. I used it yesterday to installl the meme OS 10.
>>
>>58096432
Mobo and CPU should be fine on any modern distro. The GPU however will need proprietary drivers, the free drivers don't really support it yet.

Currently no idea about your network issues, intel nics usually are well supported.
>>
Anyone have experience with x2x? All the documentation I found online is old and doesn't work.

ssh -X x2x user@host -to :0

Is what everyone said to do, but it errors about the :0 bit saying there's a commandline error
>>
>>58096591
More bloatw... uhm... I mean features
>>
>>58096592
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>58096640
You seem to be familiar with anonymous image-board culture. Using trip code is actually the best way to get (Yous).

You should try, it will make you a better person. Don't need to thank me thou, if I helped, just drop that (You).
>>
>>58096617
try 0 or 1 without colon
>>
>>58096708
You seem not to be*
>>
>>58096093
Honestly try arch, it's great for new hardware. Not memeing.
>>
Anyone use st terminal?

How can I make the japanese fonts look good? They are all blurry compared to urxvt.
>>
>>58096611

I'm not terribly worried about having to use some proprietary software at this point. I figure if I can just get away from Windows I'll have freed myself from the largest piece of proprietary software I use. The rest can follow.

>>58096797

The only reason I shied away from trying it to begin with is I'm completely new here. I have no prior experience with Linux, GNU, command line interfaces, programming, etc.

If I decide to try it, would there be any disadvantages to going with something like Manjaro, Chakra, or Antergos to have DE integration without having to fuck around?

Or am I just better off installing Arch base and then installing a DE myself?
>>
>>58096635
I know it'll be "bloated", but should it be "better"?

Mind you I used 3.5 a lot when it was a thing.
>>
>>58096817
tell me one reason why would you like any locale besides en-us in terminal?
>>
File: 1476360800809.jpg (92KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476360800809.jpg
92KB, 900x900px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>58096892
He didn't say anything about a different locale. He probably just has files with Japanese names.
>>
>>58096892
I know Japanese and have many Japanese filenames for things like manga, raw anime and music. I don't use a graphical file manager because I find it unnecessary.
>>
>>58096954
>raw anime
>>
>>58096913
Freebsd
>>
>>58096913

Lubuntu?
>>
>>58096913
Windows 7
>>
>>58096913
Debian + Openbox is a good combination (basically what Crunchbang was).
>>
>>58097069
>>>/b/
>>
>>58096913
Intel Clear Linux™
>>
File: 1460979685778.png (141KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1460979685778.png
141KB, 640x640px
google translate alternatives?
>>
File: 1480606619753.jpg (46KB, 603x797px) Image search: [Google]
1480606619753.jpg
46KB, 603x797px
>>58097025
>any BSD
>Daily use
kek
>>
>>58097240
Can you (or anyone else) explain the relationship of BSD to UNIX and OS X? And what are the differences between BSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc?
Just curious.
>>
File: 8474.jpg (61KB, 400x528px) Image search: [Google]
8474.jpg
61KB, 400x528px
>>58097235
>>
File: 1024px-KDE_logo.svg.png (523KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-KDE_logo.svg.png
523KB, 1024x1024px
What's the best KDE-specialised distro? Neon? Chakra?
>>
>>58097279
BSD is inherently UNIX. UNIX is a name of a certificate that you have to pay for. Apple paid for the certificate so it's called UNIX.

UNIX is a vague philosophy as well. It says "Do one thing, do one thing well". However UNIX philosophy is not practical.

Your media player plays mp3, wma, ogg and many other files. Your media player is not UNIX. A pure UNIX media player would be mp3player, wmaplayer, oggplayer etc

Open, Free, Net, DragonflyBSD are the main BSDs but they are different kernels. FreeBSD has many distros like trueOS, GhostBSD, MidnightBSD etc.

OpenBSD is dead and has no distros. DragonflyBSD tries to be Linux but did not compete. NetBSD is pretty interesting. For embedded chips.
>>
>>58097424
>Anger trolling this hard
>>
>>58097424
Thanks, learned alot
>>
Hey guys,

Just installed Lubuntu on my old netbook. A few things not working. PrintScreen doesn't work and the Volume up/down key combo (Fn+arrows) is not working. If anyone has any ideas, pls help. Google is not good to me.
>>
>>58097424
Your media player is actually a frontend to set of codecs and processing libraries, which is UNIX
>>
>>58097742
except for said player
>>
>>58097616
>Google is not good to me.
check the arch wiki
>>
>>58097789
treat it as a pipeline
>>
>>58097813
no
>>
>>58097742
>which is UNIX
nothing except os x is unix
>>
>>58098033
Just call it *nix. Avoids triggered autists and lawsuits.
>>
any guides on babbies first self compiled kernel?
>>
>>58098293
man menuconfig
>>
Is it overly difficult to install linux on a machine with an SSD as well as a hard drive? I am trying to figure out what distro to go with as well. I have used Arch (never again), Elementary, Ubuntu, Mint etc, so I am comfortable installing anything. Is OpenSuse a good desktop distro?
>>
how do Nvidea drivers work with linux? For example lets say I have a GTX 660 ti, what will I have to do to install the right drivers to take advantage of the card?
>>
>>58098379
660i is not on extended life, you will install the latest version(375.26) and move on with your life
>>
Well this is neat, there's a Gtk3/VTE terminal that isn't complete ass in a tiling WM: Termite.
>simple INI format text config
>reload configs with ctrl-shift-r instead of needing the xrdb bullshit
>clickable links
>utf8 glyph fallback just werkz
>transparency
I'm gonna give it a shot under Wayland later today. Hopefully I won't have any XWayland-required processes at all!
>>
>>58098367
Put the root partition and swap on the SSD, and make the HDD (assuming it's larger) /home. Then set up profile-sync-daemon for your browsers.
>browser profiles and cache at ramdisk speeds, backed on HDD
>rest of /home on HDD
>rest of OS on SSD
>>
File: 1480343683550.png (71KB, 2028x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1480343683550.png
71KB, 2028x1300px
Leap or Tumbleweed?
>>
Why is suckless software so good?
>>
>>58098683
Tumble weed of course why any other option ?
>>
>>58098878

Not the guy you're responding to, but honestly whats the advantage of having rolling release up-to-the-minute versions of things over just using stable releases?
>>
>>58098993
Security fixes
New features
>>
>mfw just figured out groups in cwm
Its like virtual desktops, but you can have more than ones windows open and once, and quickly toggle which ones windows are open or hidden
this is way better than virtual desktops
>>
>>58099002

Alright so security fixes can be important, depending on the fix and the way you use your computer.

New features, however, are only useful to people who want those features but have been getting by just fine without them. Hardly a selling point it seems like.
>>
File: disgruntled homer.png (222KB, 576x419px) Image search: [Google]
disgruntled homer.png
222KB, 576x419px
>10-day uptime
>Cinnamon taking 11% of my RAM
>>
>>58099168

11% doesn't mean anything on its own.

Has that percentage grown over the 10 days, all other things being equal?

How much ram do you have?
>>
>>58099157
You asked why people do things
he told you
how you going to argue at him about things you don't agree with that other people are doing?
just shave your head and march into peoples homes like the nazi fascist you are
>>
My fonts in Firefox are too big, bold is too bold and there are spaces between words in some titles. What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>58099157
No one is forcing you to update. You can stay behind on software and blacklist it if you deem so, even on your old as kernel 2.26 "safe" distro

So you'd rather sit back a version or so just because you personally wont use the feature?
What about background work on the things that you do use making them work better? Is the promise of new features going to outweigh the benefit you get from said changes in the features you are using?

There is zero reason to not be using updated software. EVERY distro has a test/unstable repo that software is filtered through

You dont have an argument here.
>>
>>58099227
>>58099199

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as combative or adversarial. I was genuinely curious about the justifications for using a rolling release.

58099199, you seem easily triggered.
58099227, thank you for the elaboration.
>>
I'm installing a new distro. Which filesystem should I install on my HDD? Does anyone in the world use ZFS?
>>
>>58099284
There's nothing wrong with ext4.
>>
>>58099182
>Has that percentage grown over the 10 days, all other things being equal?
Yes.

I have 8 GB.
>>
>>58099157
Most security patches/fixes are backported.
It's a common misconception that stable distributions don't get security updates, actually it's quite the opposite. Since usually the stable distros have the widest user base, patching them up first is a priority. Thus patches are timed and coordinated to accomplish this.
So in the OpenSuse case, all the affected and maintained distros will get the updates at the same time.
ie. https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Security_Incident_Handling
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Backports
>>
>>58099284
ext2 /boot
ext4 /
ext4 /home
>>
>>58099318
In that case it sounds like a memory leak. Report that as a bug.
>>
>>58099227
>There is zero reason to not be using updated software.
That's just a load of horsecock
Since you use your desktop to watch chinese cartoons, doesn't mean other people won't have different use cases, as in actual work.
Servers, workstations, single use machines, appliances, infrastructure and so on.
New features can introduce new bugs, security issues and they can introduce mismatches in system state.
So ofc there are reasons not to use latest updates, just because _you_ can't comprehend them, doesn't make them non-existant.
>>
>>58099459
We are clearly talking about desktop use faggot.
Here take this (You) and a tendy and go watch some animu
>>
>>58099284
>Does anyone in the world use ZFS?
I actually support Ubuntu+ZFS at my day job, with heavy use of datasets, send, and receive. It's absolutely my #1 choice for a RAID, not so much on a laptop.
>>
If i'm intalling a distro on an older laptop (~5 years, i5) and I want to get really autistic about the distro i'm using and setting it up, should I install gentoo or arch?
>>
>>58099565
Arch obviously
>>
Running Debian stretch in no-desktop mode.

Any advice on how to easily auto-mount USB sticks? I'm looking for the least amount of config possible.
>>
>>58099677
but I want the most autism for my time wasted
Is arch really that much better compared to doing everything yourself?
>>
>>58099769
If you want the most autism go gentoo. Arch is a more convenient gentoo.
>>
>>58099769
You'll end up fucking your processor compling every little shit, but go ahead.
>>
Ok you guys.

I'm home and I want to troubleshoot my networking problem.

I am currently booted to the bone stock Kubuntu 16.10 desktop. I didn't download any updates during installation and I didn't change any settings off of the installation defaults.

My mouse cursor graphic is stuck in the top left corner of my screen. More accurately, the cursor graphic is unbound from the mouse and stuck in the top left corner, while the cursor itself can move around invisibly and interact with the DE. So, consider it effectively disabled, I'm keyboard only.

The issue I want to resolve first is as previously mentioned in >>58096093
,which is that my network download speeds are atrocious. On the order of 0.8-15kbps. The source is not the problem, as the same cable can be plugged into another computer and achieve 100mbps connectivity. Upload, however, achieves speeds in the range of 5-15mbps as tested by Measurement Lab.

I have tried a couple of fixes, the first was to make an edit to the "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and also disabling ipv6 support with

sudo su
echo "#disable ipv6" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
echo "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
echo "net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

Neither worked. I tried them based on suggestions I found by searching. It's also possible I did something incorrectly. I am attempting to install and use linux for the first time, on a desktop that I just built from all new components.

Where should I start from here in diagnosing / correcting my network speed issue? Pls help.
>>
>>58099785
>arch is a more convenient gentoo
how long would gentoo take to install?
also, would i have to compile EVERY bit of software i ever want to install?
>>58099819
explain
>>
>>58099898
Yes, except firefox-bin and libreoffice-bin (you can compile them too though if you want). It will take several hours to install.
>>
Before formatting my laptop today, I had windows 7 and linux mint on dualboot. I tried formatting the mint partition and after that I could not boot into wibdows and there was a message of grub rescue or something. Is there a way to leave windows handle booting?
>>
>>58099898
>how long would gentoo take to install?
With a lightweight wm like 2 days if you know what you're doing
>>
>no way to disable bold fonts in st's config.h
It's such a simple feature why not include it? Now I have to learn C properly if I want to use st. Bold fonts are super ugly.
>>
Well, here I am, making my first post from a LInux in virtualbox.

It actually feels... kinda nice. I'm also getting a weird feeling that I can't quite define exactly, but it's like I'm lighter than before, and for the first time I'm alone in my own computer.

I followed the instructions from the wiki to install MInt and see if I could do it. Now that that's done, will the same steps work to install Ubuntu? Or another newfag friendly distro that you guys might recommend.
>>
>>58099952
>>58100090
oh
I was looking for autism, but not THAT much autism
maybe i'll look into freeBSD
>>
>>58099956
do you still have grub installed?
>>
>>58100174
Huh?
What exactly do you mean?
Im using st and im not seeing any sort of bold fonts. Do you need to set the font weight in the bit specifying the font?
The font im using is 'hack', if you want to try it and see.
>>
After a fresh install of mint my swap in the "Disks" section says it is "Not Active". How do I make it active?
>>
>>58100388
I guess it's just my font that's the problem.
>>
>>58100512
Yeah, finding a font that doesnt look like shit in it is one of the finnicky things about st.
Hack is good.
>>
>>58100413
Edit your fstab file
>>
>>58100312
Gentoo or Arch. The only way youll learn
>>
>>58099956
You have to fix your MBR with Windows recovery/installation media when you remove the Linux distro from a Windows/Linux dual-boot
>>
>>58100090
>2 days
>if you know what you're doing
it shouldn't even take that long
>>
>>58100543
Is there anyway to fix the colors in vim? The colors are all wrong.
>>
>>58100330
Well, not anymore since I formatted it. I was asking for the next time I install any distro.

>>58100707
Thanks.
>>
>>58100312
You can figure out how to install Ubuntu, its a good beginner distro, yes. I advise using a flavor with a different desktop environment, unity a shit and also has that amazon thing.
Other fairly beginner friendly distros you might check out-
Antergos/Manjaro -all software ever available in the AUR. it has roguelikes and stuff in it too.
Debian - Intermediate, not as easy as ubuntu or antergos/manjaro
Fedora - Never tried it but I Hear its good for beginners
KDE Neon-
If you like KDE, use this instead of kubuntu. It has the newest version of KDE, kubuntus is older and very buggy for it.
Dont listen to people telling you to use arch/gentoo. Try arch/gentoo/debian minimal netinst/stuff like that AFTER you're more familiar with linux in general and how things work on it, and after you lrn2 command line. People who tell you to are either memeing or assuming you're motivated in the same way by the same things they were.
>>
>>58100889
Not a clue myself, I only use vim for tweaking config files and making quick notes so I dont care
however, this
http://st.suckless.org/patches/solarized
says this arch forum thread has the answers to that, I think. I havnt read the thread though, so sorry if this is a dead end.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164108
>>
Does anyone know how to get Age of Empires 3 on Fedora with steam.

Keep getting l3codecx error, even though it's in my system 32 folder on a virtual drive.
>>
>>58089736
Does Unity 8 with Mir work on the AMD open source GPU drivers AMDGPU? I have an RX 470 and am kinda curious about trying it out.
>>
>>58100312
If you haven't already I recommend trying out Solus. Despite the memes, it's actually a pretty solid and great distro.

https://solus-project.com/
>>
>>58100978
Thanks. It doesn't solve the problem with colors being swapped though. Very weird having purple text show up as bright red. I guess I will just get used to it.
>>
alpine or something emacs based for cli mail client?
>>
IM TRAPPED IN ED PLS HELP HOW DO I GET OUT
'man ed' TELLS ME ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
>>
>>58101801
>ED
see you doctor, famine. get your prostate checked while you're there.
>>
>>58101801
q
>>
>>58102042
thank you so much
>>
>>58102101
but still get checked out maine
>>
How do I stop the X server on Linux Mint
>>
Hey lads, ive had Mint installed for awhile. Its nice and clean but besides a few small things, I was wondering what you guys recommend for a pretty much fresh install of Mint, or just tools you recommend.
>>
>>58099761
Learn how systemd-automount works dumb debibabby
>>58102607
#systemctl stop lightdm -f
Replace lightdm with your display manager

or
#killall x
>>
>>58097214
It's not meant for desktop usage
>>
File: 1457834464899.png (49KB, 451x485px) Image search: [Google]
1457834464899.png
49KB, 451x485px
>page 9
>>
>>58105447
/g/ is a Windows board, just let it go
>>
File: 1454880608894.png (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1454880608894.png
2MB, 5000x5000px
How can I keep my script running even after a log off or reboot?
>>
>>58105828
cron @reboot
>>
>>58105447
>>58105721
Well, generals do die, it's okay to let it
>>
>>58105828
Put it into autostart?!
>>
>>58105838
Explain please

>>58105854
That be a sloppy solution. However bash scripts are read from the start so no parallel scripting
>>
>>58105828
make a system service unit
>>
Does anyone know a way that I can automatically dump text output from a terminal into an active firefox window?

Kind of like a "tail -f" command but where it tails the output in a firefox window?
>>
>>58105828
systemctl
>>
>>58099284
just be normal, use ext4
>>
>>58105918
pipe it to netcat, serve it at localhost
>>
>>58089736
Which does Stallman use?
>>
>>58105971
Emacs probably
>>
>>58105971
Linux-libre
>>
>>58105971
He was using Trisquel awhile ago.
I don't know if that's what he still has, though.
>>
File: 1478225351970.png (514KB, 629x871px) Image search: [Google]
1478225351970.png
514KB, 629x871px
How do you create a package from source for a given package mange?
>>
File: 1476832159655.jpg (330KB, 1194x1684px) Image search: [Google]
1476832159655.jpg
330KB, 1194x1684px
>>58105971
I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.)
>>
>>58106077
What package manager? They have distinctive guidelines
>>
>>58106089
Is .jpg a free picture format? (Free as in libre not as in price)
>>
File: 1476243526209.jpg (259KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1476243526209.jpg
259KB, 1600x1200px
>>58106091
Pacman / apt / whatever puppy linux uses.
I know how to install packages from source with
configure ./
make
make install

But this create intermediate files that I don't need, and make the package invisible to the package manger.

Is there a way to compile a package to it's installable form? Sorry I'm new to linux.
>>
File: 1474884112055.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474884112055.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
>>58106200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZ6Ikc7juw
>>
>>58106077
on debian based systems:

- configure
- make
- checkinstall

creates a .deb package and installs it

if missing dependencies, apt-get build-dep <program> pulls them if the package is in the repos, if not, check the README and INSTALL files
>>
File: 1469690381787.jpg (119KB, 889x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1469690381787.jpg
119KB, 889x1300px
>>58106224
I've read about that.
Not really what I'm looking for.
>>58106228
Yes.
This is what I'm looking for.
What about arch and puppy linux?
>>
Long time linux user here, but a friend is asking me about Wine. What's the difference between Gold and Platinum ratings? I see that Platinum is above gold, but I see some stuff, for instance Diablo III that went from Platinum to Gold according to the WineDB, but when you check the most current rating (Gold) it says everything is functioning. If everything is functioning without any issues (as the report suggests) wouldn't this be Platinum? What caused it to drop from Platinum to Gold in their DB?
>>
>>58106252
>Wine
Virtualbox seamless mode is better. WINE is currently under deep freeze mode for stability fixes

However I am not sure what those terms mean (gold or pt)
>>
>>58106275
Please stop namefagging. ;_;
>>
>>58106275
His hardware does not support passthrough, so using a vm or hypervisor is not really what I'm looking to do with him.
Wine being under deep freeze would have nothing to do with what I'm asking, and I'm very aware of it's current progress (I just don't happen to use it much)
Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
File: 1475280507772.jpg (28KB, 600x645px) Image search: [Google]
1475280507772.jpg
28KB, 600x645px
>>58106283
Why do you hate me
>>
>>58106291
>Wine being under deep freeze would have nothing to do with what I'm asking
It might just mean that those au or pt ratings will not change for a long time btw
>>
>>58106309
That's perfectly fine, but if the game is reported to have everything working then why did it get downgraded to a Gold. I am only looking for reasoning to how the Wine rating system works, I know how and why code freezes happen for point releases.
>>
File: beacons of Gondor.jpg (112KB, 655x983px) Image search: [Google]
beacons of Gondor.jpg
112KB, 655x983px
>>58106275
>Virtualbox seamless mode is better.
How well does this work under live sessions of linux?
I'm thinking of creating a portable VM with puppy linux and run either MicroXP or Tiny7 by eXperince.
>>
>>58106336
You got it wrong. You host windows on an up to date Linux distro otherwise you will get no security updates
>>
>>58106372
Excuse me?
That's what I meant??
I install puppy linux on a 64 GB USB flash drive, then with either QEMU or VirtualBox would install/create windows image with Tiny7/MicroXP.
That way I can access windows only applications from within a portable linux host.
>>
File: 1466289262933.png (1MB, 999x806px) Image search: [Google]
1466289262933.png
1MB, 999x806px
>>58106372
I'd just like to interject for a moment.
>>
>>58106252
platinum: works perfectly ootb
gold: works perfectly, but you need to do something to it first
>>
File: 1464462883224.png (779KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464462883224.png
779KB, 1280x720px
https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/2015-07-10--rms--a-free-digital-society--720p.webm
>>
File: 2016-12-21-14:22:09.png (914B, 81x30px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-21-14:22:09.png
914B, 81x30px
Why's my font rendering like this in Firefox? What can I do to fix it?
>>
>>58106972
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>58107073
The screenshot doesn't really show it but it's grainy and wavy.
>>
>>58107129
I don't know what to tell you without a better screenshot then. What distro are you using?
You could also consider getting "infinality" which tries make the Linux font rendering as close as possible to Windows.
>>
File: 1463946750272.jpg (54KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1463946750272.jpg
54KB, 1024x683px
Should I switch to zsh?
>>
>>58107306
try zsh for some time and find out
>>
File: 1471997844346.jpg (250KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1471997844346.jpg
250KB, 800x534px
>>58107306
do you use a mac?
>>
Linux is not a desktop operating system.
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

The use case for linux is extremely narrowly defined.
>>
>>58108070
cool cool
>>
File: 1461116290981.gif (905KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1461116290981.gif
905KB, 480x270px
>>58108070
>>
>>58108080
he's stamming this crap allower the board
>>
>>58108137
okay
>>
>>58108147
ok
>>
>>58089736
Question: I'm trying to get Bumblebee to utilize my actual GPU (nvidia, and it's now running the integrated) but it keeps giving me an error when I try to use the optirun command.

How2: fix?
>>
>>58108137
By crap you mean truth?
>>
>>58108464
no
>>
What are the anti virus options for Linux?
Or are viruses not really an issue in it?
>>
>>58108713
Not needed.
>>
>>58108713
anti virus is snake oil, on linux we know it so there are no anti virus programs or personal firewalls

you can use clamav to scan for known windows specific viruses, but it doesn't protect you from unpopular malware

learn ipatables or configure ufw
use firejail or related for sandboxing
don't run untrusted shit made by literally who
don't run proprietary software
>>
>>58108808
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58108831
Nope, nothing he mentioned is GNU-specific.
>>
>>58106250
On arch you need to install ABS. For example, let's install dwm.

#pacman -S abs
#abs
$mkdir ~/abs
$cp -r /var/abs/community/dwm ~/abs/
$cd ~/abs/dwm
$makepkg -si
That will build it from source, ask for your sudo password, install dependencies and install it.
>>
What distro are you using ?
How much packages do you have ?
>Arch 490
>>
>>58108935
arch
700 (I have multilib and steam installed, which is a ton of packages)
>>
can i somehow password protect a folder ?
no encryption just a simpel password
>>
>>58108808
>don't run untrusted shit made by literally who
so all """""free""""" """""software"""""?
>>
>>58109044
>mom look, I'm trolling 4chan :DDDD
>>
>>58109060
who are you quoting?
>>
>>58108935
Package count isn't comparable between distros because stuff is packaged differently. For example Arch does no package splitting, which makes an Arch package pretty huge compared to other distros.
>>
>>58109090
it does so to keep it simple
>>
>>58108935
>>58108949
Debian
I think I could cut it down but im not sure how exactly
>>58109115
Hes not calling arch shit for not splitting packages, just saying that it makes a similar amount of crap result in a lower package count than on some other systems.
>>
>need to install wqy-zenhei to display asian characters in steam properly
>installing that makes it my fallback font for my status bar, making all japanese characters rendered as chinese
fuck.
>>
>>58109264
time to check your fontconfig for newest files and changes
>>
>>58109264
>japanese characters rendered as chinese
whats the difference
>>
>>58109294
the language
>>
>>58106782
>Project GNU/Dollar

Why can't I find any reference to this on Google?
>>
>>58109264
>>58109294
what are some good chinese and japanese bitmap fonts which fit well with terminus?
>>
>>58109294
why do you think you'll understand if you felt the need to ask this question?
>>
File: 1458771976949.png (419KB, 725x307px) Image search: [Google]
1458771976949.png
419KB, 725x307px
>>58109351
>GNU/Dollar
What is this?
>>
-> -> -> >>58109389
>>
>>58109378
He just mentions it in that video. Maybe it's still in the works or something.

But I guess the difference between it and bitcoin is he claims that unlike bitcoin this is mathematically proven to be anonymous and also that any money you receive in GNU/Dollar can't be used in other transactions. So you have to convert it to real money first, which he says is to prevent tax evasion.
>>
>>58109355
from the aur, mplus-font.
>>
>>58109451
>aur
what makes you think that he's using arch?
>>
>>58109644
He needs to install them manually then.
>>
>>58109264
Try uninstalling wqy-zenhei and installing Unifont instead.
That worked for me, although it's probably a bit uglier than wqy-zenhei.

Valve's font rendering is all fucked up though.
Using wqy-zenhei in their games works but it will actually break the steam clients font rendering (because of the bitmaps), yet very few fonts that can display east asian characters will work in their games.
(wqy-zenhei and unifont are the only two I know of)

Usually though Linux distros will not create any special rules for unifont that would override your previous fallback order, but wqy-zenhei might be doing that which is messing with your status bar.
>>
>>58109682
Alright thanks.
>>
>>58109422

>Has to be converted to 'real money' first
>Says it's to prevent tax evasion

Real money? What, a government controlled fiat currency? How is that any more real than a cryptocurrency?

Prevent tax evasion? Come on Stallman, do you also want me to enable NSA spying on my computer?
>>
>>58109422
>any money you receive in GNU/Dollar can't be used in other transactions. So you have to convert it to """"" real money""""" first
so it's literally useless?
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.