[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dangerous is it to pull out the grounding pin an adapter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: 1360174098663.jpg (21KB, 422x264px) Image search: [Google]
1360174098663.jpg
21KB, 422x264px
How dangerous is it to pull out the grounding pin an adapter?

I need to pull out the grounding pin on an American adapter to turn it into a Japanese one, but I'm not sure if it's safe or not.
>>
>>57959279
>American adapter to turn it into a Japanese one
Japan and the US both have different mains voltages, so it's pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>57959307
Oh, okay,

Should I pull our the grounding pin directly from the cable so I can plug it into a 2 pin Australian to Japanese adapter?
>>
>>57959323
>not understanding how voltages work
Are you 6? >>>/diy/
>>
>>57959347
No, but I don't understand how voltages work.

I'll post to that board, thanks.
>>
>>57959279
If the chassis of the device is earthed lifting the ground can be extremely dangerous. If there is a fault the entire case of the device can become live. The Earth ground is a safety feature and if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't mess with it.

Also this >>57959307
Japan runs at 220V and America is 120V. You plug a Japanese product into an American outlet and it may not work properly as the voltage is too low. You plug an American device into a Japanese outlet and you destroy it. That said there are a handful of products that aren't as voltage dependent, stuff like incandescent lights and resistive heating elements. Run a 220V lamp on 120V and it'll work, you just get less light. Same idea with a heater. To make a Jap product work on American mains you need a step up transformer 120V to 220V. If you want American stuff to work on Jap power you need step down. Also beware that American AC power is 60Hz and Japan is 50Hz. This may or may not matter, it depends on the product.
>>
>>57959455
Japan is 100v bruv.

>>57959279
Your shit will work but half of Japan runs at 50hz.
>>
>>57959307
>Japan and the US both have different mains voltages
No, they don't. 100, 110, 115, 120, they're all the same thing. 100V is well within the voltage range of most appliances.

It's not generally safe to remove grounding from devices designed with it.
>>
V = IR
P = VI
If you have something that works at 120 american volts and pulls 50mA of current it uses 6 watts of power.

If you then plug it into into a Japanese 100 volt socket, it will only produce 41mA of current and use only 4.1 watts of power.

So not only will it be safe to do, but you'll use around 2/3 of the power while doing it. I took a physics class in high school and I think it checks out. I dunno why we don't use less voltage
>>
>>57959455
Half of Japan is 50Hz, the other half is 60Hz.
Yes it's dumb.
>>
>>57959732
Why the fuck does japan use AC power?

If they did DC there wouldn't even be frequency
>>
>>57959725
That high-school class was useless. You apparently know nothing about AC.
>>
>>57959768
Educate me
>>
>>57959657
Goes to show how much I know about other countries' power grids.

Well then OP can pretty much ignore the second half of my post now cause that's irrelevant. The advice about lifting the ground still holds though.
>>
>>57959279
Fucking very.
>>
>>57959784
Learning about the difference between real, apparent, and reactive power would be a good start.
>>
>>57959725
You'd be right if it was just a passive resistive load.

But with electronic/switchmode drivers, it will still draw 6 watts, just at more current.

hence the 90-250v 50-60hz rating of many chargers.
>>
>>57959768
>falling for that bait
>>
>>57959810
>I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
You're probably not going to go to /diy/ and I'm surprised at the amount of people here that don't understand basic things about electrical power.

First, what are you trying to plug in? A computer? Laptop? Phone Charger? Charging will work fine, because your charger transforms the power to DC in order to charger your battery. If it's a desktop (unlikely) it will depend on what you're trying to run. The fact that you had to ask this question means that you shouldn't do it. But a charger will work fine. If something happens to your cord or device you could die. It's unlikely, but they didn't require them because nobody died.
>>
>>57959784
What you said would apply just fine if we were talking about powering a simple resistor such as a light bulb or even a toaster. But in most electric devices, the equivalent impedance (impedance != resistance btw) isn't exactly ohmic, so power calculation isn't that linear. Also the use of diodes and transistors fucks that calculation up.
>>
>>57959279
>I need to pull out the grounding pin on an American adapter to turn it into a Japanese one, but I'm not sure if it's safe or not.

It's fine. Japanese power is all GFCI. In other words, it will trip before any meaningful shock is experienced.
>>
File: 1480161788138.png (311KB, 652x669px) Image search: [Google]
1480161788138.png
311KB, 652x669px
>>57959829
>(impedance != resistance btw)
Well then tickle me retarded because I guess that makes my math moot. Senior year was rough
>>
>>57959756
>look at me im a fucking idiot
>>
>>57959824
American switched-mode USB chargers aren't typically earth grounded. Even if they were it still wouldn't be a great idea to cut off the ground lead though since they're made of plastic you could probably get away with it.

Still not a good idea though as a lot of chargers have shitty isolation between the high side and the low side. The output may be floating but can become mains referenced if there's a fault and make the USB shield live. You'd be in for a really nasty surprise if you touched it though probably not lethal unless you made very good contact.
>>
>>57959848
Capacitors and inductors behave like frequency dependent resistors. It's a property called reactance. As frequency increases inductors "resistance" increases, for capacitors it's the opposite. As frequency approaches infinity an inductor looks like an open circuit and a capacitor looks like a short. Vice-versa as the frequency approaches 0. I won't bore you with the derivations. Resistors are not frequency dependent and follow ohms law though real resistors have non-ideal properties and parasitic capacitence and inductance to take into account at high frequencies.

Impedance is simply the sum of resistances, capacative reactances, and inductive reactances in a circuit.
>>
>>57959848
look up BigClivedotcom on YouTube for some fun/educational teardowns of chinese crap where he explains stuff like this.
>>
If you insist, then use one of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

Run a copper wire from the ground tab sticking out the bottom to a metal water pipe.
>>
>>57959982
This. And DONT FUCKING SKIMP ON THE GROUND.
>>
>>57959824
Im pretty sure in the good old us and a companies are only required to include a ground plug if the device operates at an electric load that is considered dangerous. At what voltage/ current i couldnt say, but there are plenty of devices that dont include the third pin.
Basically for something like a phone charger itll have an internal fuse that will blow well before it gets to an even remotely harmful voltage.
But whatever it is op is using, its safe to assume someone somewhere determined that thing can fuck you right in the pussy if shit goes awry based on the fact it has a ground pin at all.

Not that it wont work without it. My dad used to use extension cords he tore the ground pin off of because the sockets on the outside of out house were so old they didnt even support it. Definitely not safe practice but you /can/ do it.
>>
>>57959894
Dude, I said you could die. I'm not sure how much more plain I could make it.
>>
>>57959976
After reading this, I realize that I am actually aware of impedance from capacitors and inductors, but I remember the math models of them involving complex numbers and me not understanding what the fuck a complex number means in terms of real life resistance.

But thank you for that. I feel a little smarter after reading it.

>>57959981
Thank you too
>>
>>57959279
>asking anon if something is dangerous
you're playing with fire anon.
>>
>>57959998

Again, Japanese outlets are *ALL* GFCI.

You're not going to get hurt.
>>
>>57960068
you have no idea what you're talking about.

many jap outlets are only live/neutral with no earth.
>>
>>57960068
Its not advisable to put that kind of trust in those kinds of outlets. The outlets in the bathroom of any house should be cgfi, but it doesnt mean you should plug your toaster in and give it a dunk while you take a bath.
>>
>>57960121
*any modern us house
I really need to proofread my posts.
>>
>>57959806
fucking rekt
>>
>>57960355
>advice
>rekt
>>
File: 1481105746885.jpg (39KB, 477x479px) Image search: [Google]
1481105746885.jpg
39KB, 477x479px
>>57959850
>>
File: 1479591766115.png (1MB, 1182x956px) Image search: [Google]
1479591766115.png
1MB, 1182x956px
>>57959756
>>
>>57960130
>I really need to proofread my posts.
Before you press POST.
>>
>>57959307
Unless you are using that works with AC only, like fridges, air con, anything with a motor.

Most devices works with DC so a converter is needed, this converter supports a global range of voltages and frequencies.

>>57959279
Op if its an electronic device you can pull out the ground pin. Don't be mad if it burns when a lightning hits your home.
>>
OP here.

So I guess I probably shouldn't pull out anything.

In that case, anyone here know where I can get a 3-pin Australian to 2-pin Japanese adapter in Osaka?

My laptop battery's dying pretty fast, and using my phone for 4chan is fucking horrible.
>>
>>57962756
You can't, you might be able to find something that goes from your chargers block to the wall however, depending on the design it probably uses a Mickey mouse plug (yes that's what theyre called). You should be able to find a suitable cable in yodobashi camera or Bic camera for about 700 yen
>>
>>57962892
Yeah, the cable that connects to my charger block is a mickey mouse plug.

So I guess I'll have to look for that cable then. Thanks.
>>
>>57962756
I couldn't plug my laptop charger into the wall either when I went to japan. Found the exact cord >>57962892 mentioned for cheap. Just ask someone for where.
>>
>>57959694
/thread
>>
>>57962756
What laptop do you have?
>>
>>57963007
It's an ASUS, model F552L
>>
>>57963032
Yeah, the laptop might tingle a bit on contact if you use a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter for your laptop. The chargers they come with are pretty shitty and the casing of the laptop is metal.
>>
>>57959279
South American here.

Our sockets don't have the grounding pin hole, only the two flat ones. I've bought several 'murrican appliances and removing the grounding pin works without any problems.

I've also bought some adapters and after opening some of them I discovered that all they do is connect the two flat pins and the grounding pin is just in an empty hole, doing nothing. So I'd say it's safe.
>>
>>57963062
I see. Thanks for letting me know.
>>
>>57963101
Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
Wait so... I have two computer hooked up at the moment which j removed the ground from the cord. Is this something is should fix sooner than later?

Not op btw.
>>
>>57965445
lmao u r idiot
>>
Took the grounding pin out of my laptop's charger once, ended up breaking my sound card for a bit among other things.
>>
>>57959455
Japan is not 220v, that's Europe.
Japan is 100/110 and US is 115/120
>>
>>57963101
You are supposed to take the screw out of the center of the wall plate and attach the ground plug adapter's eylet to it before plugging the device into the wall.

I would also not remove the ground of any computer especially one with external metal parts. That is just begging for death.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.