[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alt-net communities/enclaves and you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 20years.jpg (45KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
20years.jpg
45KB, 256x256px
now there was plenty of moaning in >>57912062 over the supposed death of the web and how things used to be better before [those people] got online in [year] to fuck everything up, and get off my porch, etc.

but i'm wondering what alternative internet communities are around that might be fulfilling your needs that facebook and twitter aren't? is there an old forum or chat you still haunt? any weird muds or telnet servers that are still active? maybe it's not some old-as-balls service, but something like a discord or alt-chan where people are subverting what the assumed behavior in those communities is normally? are you apprehensive about even discussing these places for worry that they might be crushed under the weight of public exposure on a place like 4chan?

for me, a few places come to mind:

sdf.org is a nonprofit public access unix shell provider. it has irc/email/bbs/chat and other unixy crap. a few dozen people are logged on at a time, doing whatever the hell people do in a remote unix shell

furcadia is a graphical online chatroom for furry perverts. walk around and talk to other furry perverts. upload private maps with custom graphics and scripting to walk around and be a furry pervert in. still around 1000 furry perverts online at a time

the nameless private tracker i use that broke off from some other site like 10 years ago and been a ghost ever since. still actively updated with sweet filez and they aren't total ratio dorks. will probably give up piracy if they shut down
>>
>>57920307
whoops meant to link >>57889478
>>
jesus, you dorks have nothing?
>>
There's always lue links. I guess.
>>
Wasn't there some VR community thing going around on Lain and the other /g/-related altchans?

I wonder if that went anywhere.
>>
>>57924383
http://opensimulator.org/
http://www.osgrid.org/

i've been meaning to check these two out
>>
I used to belong to a number of really great forum communities and IRC channels back in the late 90s and early 00s, but these days I'm really apprehensive about my online activity being recorded and easily accessible to internet randos and Google. They inevitably lead to discussions that focus more on the poster than the argument being made, and it becomes and ego and popularity contest.

At the same time, my experience with 4chan and other transient/semi-anonymous sites has demonstrated to me that meaningful, persistent, troll-free discussion is practically impossible unless everyone participating is held to some accountability beyond a single post or thread.

So I'm pretty torn between the two and I'm not sure there is a middle ground that I could consider acceptable.
>>
>>57920307
I'm on SDF and I don't think there's an IRC client. Is there?
>>
>>57926106
Is this the one still doing gopher?
>>
>>57926140
Yes, this one has gopher. SDF.org
>>
>>57926106
irssi and bitchx are available to me on sdf but i've also got the arpa membership. maybe not available otherwise
>>
I thought that Furcadia had died. Or was that another furry pervert site I'm thinking of?
>>
>>57927294
pretty damn close to dead. only the really serious furry pervert roleplayer types still use it. OOCers (imagine the furry pervert chat equivalent of shitposters) have mostly all quit or gone totally idle, only staying on in the faint hope someone else will say something interesting/non-dog cock related
>>
These questions are hilarious because by your own definition, nobody is going to let you in or join any of these secret clubs. You know exactly how you act, but you somehow think that all the other people won't be just like you and they will let you in.

The circlejerks in question are not what they make themselves out to be, they are less "channels" and more virtual psuedo social constructs that losers use to numb themselves to failure and time. It's a little like old people becoming stingy loser fucks and their list of "good" people runs out over 40 years because they all die of age, and they are unable to talk to anyone else. It's excruciating to watch, and also hilariously funny. But this is what you are actually pining for in this case. Do you want this?

Even if you somehow found some circlejerk where none of the above was true - you are going to have to deal with the site admin, and he is going to be shit. He will always be long past the point where you can't say anything right and it will be ban on sight for any post you make. Even the slightest, most insignificant disagreement will be bannable. IRC and forum admins are turds who can only speak to people when they feel they are fully in control of the conversation vis a vis banning them. Their other alternative is to leave the site/channel immediately which is just like what old people do when they find out some new person they're talking to has the slightest differing opinion.

the web did not "die", the best time for it is right now. Only people who disagree are showing signs of age early and have given up - their fault, not the web's.

Do you really want this, OP? This is what you are looking for. Circlejerks will cause you to waste decades on literally virtual nothing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.