[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SQT/ - Stupid Question Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 45

File: CjZ0TfiWkAAyLSY.jpg (68KB, 600x824px) Image search: [Google]
CjZ0TfiWkAAyLSY.jpg
68KB, 600x824px
Last Thread >>57759220

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google it first

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, it's very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.
>>
Why are there so few guides about under-clocking (under-volting) CPUs? I cannot afford anything other than a stock cooler and I'm worried about it becoming too hot (a used CPU/cooler).

Can I screw things up by under-clocking as badly as over-clocking can?
>>
File: JPEG_20161130_174318.jpg (299KB, 628x1032px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20161130_174318.jpg
299KB, 628x1032px
How the fuck do I make a tripcode in Clover?
Best if you add a pic with that
>>
I want to build a pc for my entertainment room to emulate most consoles. What hardware am i looking at to get "perfect" emulation of ps2, dreamcast and those sort of things? As far as i can tell my Fx8350 and Hd7970 cant emulate ps2 very well.

If possible i also want 4k 60+ fps upscaling
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-01-01-54-35.png (248KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-01-01-54-35.png
248KB, 1080x1920px
>>57770859
>mobile posters
>>
Is there a risk of damaging an external hard drive by having it plugged in and powered on for a long time, say, 10 days in a row? It's a 500GB Toshiba.
>>
I want to publish a few somewhat simple python scripts on my website (100-300 lines).
What's the best licence to use?
for my writings, I normally use CC-BY-SA, but I have never seen that in use for software.
Whats a similar licence for software?
I dont really care what folks do with it, as long as no one is allowed to use my stuff without recognition. GNU? BSD?
Also, is just putting
#BTW, folks, this is GNU licenced
in the source enough?
>>
How do I get webm thumbnails on Windows 7? MPC doesn't have them.
>>
So I bought a new phone, compatible with Verizon Wireless. I know VZW, if you buy through them, charges you a new phone activation fee to switch phones.

Is it as simple as just putting my old sim in the new phone to make that my current phone? Phone arrives Friday.
>>
>>57771007
No

>>57771060
In code ##gnu licence##

>>57771066
Mpv
>>
How doi tranfer windows if im going to replace my system completely?
>>
How come people say there are no programmers?
>>
>>57771060
BSD is best for the purpose you're after.
be sure to specify which licence it is under, like
#Licenced under <licence, licence version> (your name) (year)
>>
Im about to return laptop to seller. What program should I use to wipe the SSD?
>>
I have a chance to get either GTX1050ti with 4GB memory or 1060 with 3GB.

Do I pick the better card or muh memory? Both are free.
>>
>>57771060

No, it's not enough. Decide on a license and then follow their guide on how to license under it.
>>
>>57770634
Underclocking isn't as dangerous, because you can't overheat. The only risk with underclocking is that the cpu can potentially be unstable by not getting enough voltage. Unstable cpus will either give you a blue screen or inconsistent temps (not hot, but warm and cold rapidly on idle)
>>
>>57771060
MIT of course
>>
>>57771132

>BSD
There is no "BSD" license. There are at least two licenses referred to as BSD.
>>
>>57771161
which is why i said to use 'licence version' in it too
>>
>>57771134
for a linux distro, use this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives/Memory_cell_clearing
not sure of any equivalent for windows or mac
>>
>>57771161
And there are many GNUs. And then there is this >>57771155.
And public domain.
And buy me a beer.
And hundreds of others.
Is there a better overview than the wikipedia page somewhere?
>>
>>57770958
Perfect emulation of a PS2 would require something like a 24-core Xeon.
>>
>>57771192

http://choosealicense.com/
>>
>>57770448
does anyone here know about the bit torrent specification?
>>
>>57771225
Thats why i said "perfect" to the point of it not mattering. Its like how you cant twll the difference between x snes emulator and that 3ghz one. In all honesty i cant even get it running well on me, both mortal kombat and crash bandicoot refuse to run at 60fps
>>
>>57771134
boot into a linux environment and then us the dd command to write random data over teh disk then just reinstall windows on it.
>>
is a 64bit operating system always better for 64bit processors?
is it worth installing 64bit instead of 32bit even if you have a system with limited ram? say 2GB or less.
>>
>>57771227
Thanks, thats a nice overview to get started!
>>
>>57771295

I don't know much about operating systems to dispute you, but since the whole "need 64bit OS to use 4GB RAM" is a myth, I'd say use 64bit no matter what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension
>>
How idiot proof is Raspberry Pi?

I want to try some basic programming + emulate games on it.
>>
From the last thread >>57766982

Should I buy my new gfx card from amazon or newegg? Same price from both but I've heard amazon has better customer service. Only problem is they are out of stock until December 5th whereas Newegg will arrive when all my other parts do.
>>
Is there a reddit app that allows you to import a font of your own?
>>
>>57771348
I'd go for newegg, especially with the mess of amazon and GPUs lately
>>
>>57771383
Ok, I'll go with that then. I have to order my monitor there anyway. What's been going on with amazon and GPUs?
>>
My laptop wont turn on properly

Started Sunday when I put it into sleep mode for the night it wouldnt turn on the next day

I brought it to uni tech center and they got it to turn on by taking out RAM chips and replacing them

Later that day after I closed the laptop, it wouldnt turn on again. I got it back on by doing the standard holding power button / removing battery etc but it didnt turn on instantly. I took out the battery and plugged in the charger and waited and within like an hour it magically turned back on.

Also worth noting is that it turned back on as if it were in sleep mode (stuff left open still there)

I shut it down last night because I thought it might only be a problem with sleep mode but its not turning on again

I think I can get it back on but its really inconvienent and unreliable for this to keep happening

Any suggestions or ideas to whats wrong?
>>
>>57771450
They ship them in retail boxes and people steal them.

Also, just generally, Amazon has better customer service in everything except computer parts. They just refuse returns and exchanges for stuff that's a problem, because they don't specialize in tech.
>>
What's the site which will recreate any image into straight colored lines?
>>
>>57771559
Good to know. This is my first build so I'm still figuring out the retailer situation.
>>
Can I access files equally if I set up to dual boot Windows/ubuntu? I understand things don't work the same, but will regular files like pdfs be altered so that I can only use them in one or the other?
>>
>>57771458
My laptop had the same issue.

Broken Harddrive
>>
>>57771682
ubuntu can read files from windows partitions. but you must fully shut down the system, not the hybernation or quick-boot state of windows. not sure about windows reading linux filesystem however...
>>
>>57771104
>Mpv
Is it supposed to have thumbnails natively?
>>
is there a go to brand for tempered screen protectors or are they all good?
>>
How do I change Android Firefox's new tab page - "about:home" to "about:blank"?
>>
How do you activate MSOffice on windows 10 when it deletes the activator?

Im using MSToolkit but it gets deleted.
>>
File: IMG_20161129_183243[2].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161129_183243[2].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
First time builder - I bought a used motherboard/ram/cpu combo from ebay. This USB 3.0 socket/header has definitely been broken off, right?

Sorry for poor phone camera quality.
>>
This question might not be simple, but it's definitely stupid.
What specs would be necessary for highest quality 8K gaming? When I say highest quality, I mean constant 80-90+fps. Also, would hooking it up to an 8K TV be viable?
>>
>>57772262
kek
>>
What does /gee/ recommend for reading books on Android and GNU/Linux?
>>
>>57772262
>8K gaming
Bruh
>>
>>57771277
Pentium g3258 overclocked with 4GB of RAM. Not too sure on graphics cards, but I think the RX 460 would perform well. on youtube there are a lot of videos showing performance, search "g3258 rx 460 pcsx2" or something like that. "i5-4670k rx 460 pcsx2" would also be good.

The Pentium has the same single core performance (only thing that matters in emulation) as the i5-4670K if you run both at the same clock speeds.

"As of late 2010 the program runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OSes and uses no more than 2 cores on multicore CPUs (1 core is used for the main emulation purposes and the second is for plugins' purposes like rendering graphics, output sounds or PAD works)" - pcsx2 wiki
>>
So I'm using cs2 since a while now b/c free and whatever and honestly it's not that bad

One thing that keeps pissing me off though is how if any of edges of your canvas becomes visible, zooming out will lock that edge aligned with the edge of your window, rather than allowing you to move freely

I know I'm probably doing a very poor job describing this but does any'all know what that is called, and/or whether it's possible to disable it?

In cs6 I'd become accustomed to moving around by zooming in and out, so this is really getting on my nerves, doesn't help that part of your (main window) gets obscured by the task bar thingies because they are loose and w/e
>>
File: 00F0F_6ihMmr5ZhEP_600x450.jpg (13KB, 254x450px) Image search: [Google]
00F0F_6ihMmr5ZhEP_600x450.jpg
13KB, 254x450px
Found an i7-6800k on cg, yay or nay?
http://swv.craigslist.org/sop/5889277045.html

I was originally planning on getting an i5-6400 for my first gaming build, but this cpu seems way better.

>>57771136
I keep hearing that as far as 1060s go, it's either 6gb or bust. Between those two I would opt for the 1050ti.

Get a second opinion though, to be safe.
>>
How do I de-google my phone? I have the OP3T if it makes any difference.
>>
>>57772401
Would quad fury xs be able tonrun Doom at 90 fps?
>>
>>57772195
not broken, its unpopulated
>>
>>57770448
Is the SLI and CrossfireX bridge the same cable?
>>
>>57772771
Or would it fuck my pc up to try?
>>
>>57770634
Underclocking has no risk whatsoever. The same goes for undervolting. If you do underclock then you should also undervolt. Heck, try to undervolt even if you run at stock speeds. Why run a CPU hotter than it should?

How to undervolt:
1. Download IntelBurnTest
2. Run it at max settings for 10 tests. If it passes, your computer is stable.
3. Step the voltage down in a small increment.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you fail the test. Your PC won't crash or BSOD or anything, the program will display a message like "Your computer is unstable and has failed the stress test. Please lower your overclock."
5. Bump the voltage up to the last known voltage that would pass the test.

If you went straight from 1.3V to 0.3V you'd not even be able to enter the BIOS. Even then you can just clear the BIOS settings by removing the battery on your motherboard. Doing it as stated above lets you know exactly how far you can lower the voltage for your CPU - all of them are different, it's a matter of winning in the "silicon lottery".
>>
>>57772871
>>57770634
>I cannot afford anything other than a stock cooler

Stock coolers are fine for running at stock speeds. You'd only -need- a better cooler if you plan to overclock.

>>57770958
Pentium g3258 overclocked (+aftermarket cooler), 4GB of RAM, AMD RX 460 (2GB VRAM is fine).
>>
File: 1466262288501.png (415KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1466262288501.png
415KB, 420x420px
>>57770448
How do I format a SD card into FAT32?

I bought a chinkphone and my 64gb sandisk needs to be in FAT32. Windows doesn't let you do it at that size.

I've tried one tool and it failed, everyother site just had viruses/spyware.

Help a brother out?

Thanks
>>
>>57772728
Just found this out on a motherboard review, thanks.
>>
>>57773035
windows: right click > format > select fat32
linux: su > gpart /dev/(disk) > mkpart primary 1 -1 > mkfs.vfat /dev/(disk)
>>
>>57773094
crap, ignore
sorry didnt read.
>>
i have r9 280x gpu. i want to use a linux distro, which one i should use. i cant install amdgpu-pro drivers because my card not supported yet
>>
Fuck this sale. Only thing worth getting really was a 1tb solid state drive that sold out immediately and abusing the fuck out of discounts before Jet disabled them.

Can't wait for Zen to come out.
>>
>join anonops IRC
>"You are free to discuss whatever you want on our network. "
>ask about distributing a ransomware decryption key
>get yelled at
>told I'm not allowed to talk about ransomware because talking about carding in any form is against the rules
i-is ransomware carding? and is there an IRC I can discuss developing malware?
>>
My PlayStation TV has issues where every few hours to every few days (it's quite sporadic) the screen will turn off for a second or two, sometimes it just happens once, sometimes it happens a few times over a minute or so, and sometimes it just shuts off. When that happens, turning it back on works most of the time but sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Other times it stays on but the screen goes black with the baclight still lit. If I turn it off and back on, it reverts to this state, then pressing the power button again brings picture to the screen. Is there any saving this TV?
>>
File: Sans titre.png (55KB, 1008x624px) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.png
55KB, 1008x624px
This is the most retarted i've ever been

Where the fuck is the download button?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-30_20-33-22.png (4KB, 536x338px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-30_20-33-22.png
4KB, 536x338px
How do I add virtual audio output / input with JACK
I tried to add a manual entry in .asoundrc but that didn't seem to work.
>>
>>57770448
No clue where to post this but realistically how long would
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nprcGf last if used for gaming? Is it overkill? (I assume/hope it is) Is there any way to improve the list? I've never built a pc before and really want to try and make as best a computer as possible for gaming.
>>
>>57773401
>retarted
I think this was the most retarded you've ever been.
>>
>>57773469
assuming this is not b8, then yes this build is quite overkill.
The 500gb ssd as the only storage medium is kind of retarded though. You want to have imo at least 1.5tb of total space.

Should easily last you 6-7 years though (probably high-medium settings that whole time). If you're willing to drop even lower you might be able to stretch it out longer.
>>
When you throw an exception, are you essentially throwing it out of the method so it doesn't have to deal with it? Or does it not work that way?
>>
Here is a fucking stupid question. Can I mix and match RED/BLUE/GREEN Drives if they are all the same size?
>>
Hi guys, I want to pick up programming. Which language should I start with? I'm not really in a position to spend money on books though.
>>
>>57773518
It's not bait, and yeah I only did the 500gb since I already have about 4 different 2tb externals and 1 4tb external so Just needed something for internal. Do you think it'd be better to do a 1tb ssd? or just a 1tb hard drive? (I'm not sure whether it's beneficial to have an ssd over the other option)

Would a titan x be better than a 1080 in terms of being able to reliably run stuff on the highest settings? or would the cpu also need to be upgraded? [spoiler] Honestly high is fine just curious what it'd take to be able to max everything [/spoiler]
>>
>>57773559
you'll probs be able to torrent any books you want to read
>>
>>57773562
definitely go with the ssd. It will make booting up and starting programs installed on it much faster.
I'll just say that I feel like you're buying a lot of things that you don't really need.
Most people don't get a sound card, optical drive, UPS, or extra fans/controller.
Of course if you need those things then get them, but don't just buy them because pcpartpicker has a category for them.
>>
Is there any way to browse 4chan on iPhone anymore?
>>
File: 1469182032633.png (125KB, 267x347px) Image search: [Google]
1469182032633.png
125KB, 267x347px
>>57773035
bump?

>>57773094
thanks for trying
>>
>>57773562
also one other thing. Why are you buying windows 8.1?
I could understand windows 7 or 10, but 8.1 really doesn't offer anything of value.
Check if your school offers you any windows versions for free. I got windows 10 for free like that.
>>
>>57773612
4chan.com
>>
>>57773035
>>57773618
Look on /vg/'s homebrew general for the 3ds hacking guide, there should be a chapter on sd card formatting
>>
int main()
{
char letters[5] = {'A','B','C','D','E'};
printf("%s", &letters[0]);

}

yeah this is obviously wrong
how do I print array elements
jesus c syntax is so stupid
>>
>>57773692
nevermind I know now
array type must be int
>>
>>57773605
Oh well again never built a pc so don't know what all is needed so I just went through & selected one from any category. I assume I need a sound card/other stuff if I don't have those already though right? because the only thing I have atm are external hard drives that I use with my laptop.

>>57773633
I was gonna go with windows 7 but I wasn't sure how long it's supported for and assumed (from what I read on /v/ which may have been shitposts) that w7 wasn't going to be supported anymore and it'd be bad to use for future gaming. Also the reason I didn't choose 10 (the whole botnet meme and lack of privacy thing.) So since my laptop's on 8.1 I just chose the os I use. Is 10 actually any good?
>>
File: king hdedede.jpg (170KB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
king hdedede.jpg
170KB, 600x444px
Some schmuck brought this to my shop, anyone tried removing sata connector from the hdd board using hot air? I wonder what's the melting point of that plastic. Even if i was to solder it pin by pin to a cable there's still a lot of plastic to remove in order to reach the broken ones.
>>
>>57773692
int main(int argc, char** argv) {
char letters[] = {'A','B','C','D','E'};
printf("%c", letters[0]);
}
>>
>>57773647
>.com

Also I mean without the ads.
>>
>>57773474
I'm so tired, i just need help
>>
>>57773603
just realised i got a python book by Al Sweigart from nostarchpress i bought off humble bundle. is this any good anon?
>>
So can Shadowplay record JUST the window or not?

So far, it can only record fullscreen or the entire desktop.
>>
>>57773713
ok this information makes a lot more sense to me.
You can't really run programs off of external drives. They either won't work or will be very slow.
I'll go through some of the parts you selected and tell you what I think about them.

Wired Adapter: There is one built in to your motherboard. If you plan on using Wifi and not ethernet, get a wireless network adapter.

Storage: Like I mentioned above, external drives are pretty much only for data storage, and it isn't recommended to run programs off of them. You should consider adding a 1tb hdd in addition to the ssd.

Optical Drive: Don't buy this unless you need it. Almost no one uses CDs these days.

Sound Card: literally not worth it unless you are an autistic audiophile. The motherboard will output sound.

Case fan/controller: I have no experience with using these, but the parts don't look too out of place here.

UPS: I've never seen anyone buy one of these before.

tl;dr: drop the optical drive, sound card, and UPS. Swap the wired network adapter with a wireless one (only if you want wifi). Buy an hdd to increase total internal storage at least to 1tb. Do some more research on how necessary/useful the case fans/controllers are.

My personal recommendation would be to buy a 2tb hdd with the money you get back from dropping the optical drive, sound card, and UPS.
>>
>>57773559
Python.

You don't need a book, you can just read the docs, which are basicly a tutorial in themselves.

Also pythonprogramming.net has a number of solid tutorials.

Install is easy on Windows and comes preinstalled on Mac.

Plus it's a language that's actually used in industry. (Rarely. But still.)

That and it'll teach you good programming habits. Like not formatting your code like an idiot.

All around solid first language.
>>
>>57773808
post a link to the github page.

>>57773807
use an ad blocker (not sure if there are any available on iOS)
>>
File: nw1.png (30KB, 519x269px) Image search: [Google]
nw1.png
30KB, 519x269px
Christian-PC should be connected directly to the main router.

It's been stuck like this since I ditched my old hard drive and installed Windows 7 on this one.

I've done a lot of trouble shooting and can answer any questions but just looking at it I feel there's an easy solution I'm missing.
>>
>>57773539
Mach what? In a desktop? A NAS? Using RAID?
Answer is yes, but if they're dependent on each other like in raid setups the r/w speeds will be those of the slowest one.

Also if one was to judge drives by backblaze stats the "enterprise" colors are a literal meme not worth the price.
>>
>>57773877
second for python. it has every type of programming you would want to do (web, desktop, ML, etc)
>>
Just put in new cooler for my fx 8350, the cooler came with thermal paste already on it. I'm gettingn high temps 35-50 degrees just browsing 4chan.

Could this just be the thermal paste hasn't set yet? Or is my cpu fucked from gaming with the shitty stock cooler for 2 years
>>
>>57773713
once again, I forgot to address your last question.
>is 10 actually any good?

it really isn't much different than windows 8.1, or even 7.
I had no issues installing it, and using it after that. You can very easily disable the automatic updates, and there are a bunch of privacy scripts that will strip out all the telemetry (supposedly) and other preinstalled microsoft software.
>>
>>57773905
>Christian-PC
t. CIA nigger
>>
File: snake_hat.jpg (62KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
snake_hat.jpg
62KB, 500x496px
>>57773894
I figured it out, nvm
>>
>>57773933
to add it's almost reaching 70 when downloading games.
>>
>>57773876
>you can't really run programs off external drives
well shit. I've been playing all my games on my laptop via externals (though also a 660m so doubt it's hindering performance much)

So pretty much https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dHbkWX
is improved? and I'll look up the fans/controllers as I have no idea what the controller does but I assume the fan well, cools. Also I assume it's obvious but if I did have to update the video card (to like a titan x or whatever) it'd be easily doable right? Like nothing would mess up when you build your own basically everything's upgrade able?
>>
>>57774034
>https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dHbkWX
yeah that looks much better.
Again, make sure you need that optical drive, but since you kept it in there I'm assuming you need it.
The case comes with fans anyway, which is the only reason I asked you about the extra fans. With a 1080 though, they might be helpful.

As for upgrading, it's pretty painless. For something like a gpu upgrade you just take out the first one, and plug the new one in. No new software is needed either apart from maybe video drivers.
>>
File: 1332952426835.jpg (7KB, 251x218px) Image search: [Google]
1332952426835.jpg
7KB, 251x218px
>>57774034
Python noob question, why does this line of code stop at 10 while
while x<=20:
print(x)
x=x+1
if x==5:
print("Jessie e en lallare")
continue
if x==10:
print("Pontus me")
break

this one continues into eternity?
while True:
print(x)
x=x+1
if x==5:
print("Jessie e en lallare")
continue
if x==10:
print("Pontus me")
break
>>
>>57774034
>>57774095
didn't mean to quote
>>
>>57774025
>>57773933
or could it be speccy isn't even reading it properly?
>>
>>57774082
I'll probably keep the disk drive solely for sims games to be easier to reinstall. Also I did not know the case had fans on its own, but I'll probably still leave the extras for like you said, the 1080 (possibly titan x. watched an ark video on the 1080's performance and it seems like it's still an un optimized mess but pascal titans seem to at least get over 30 fps on epic)

Is it better to do sli or just use 1 card? I'm looking at a lot of the builds on partpicker for gaming they seem to go for 2 or even 4 graphics cards? Is 1 too little for gaming?
>>
>>57774144
SLI is a meme and almost no games have good scaling. It's just a waste of money overall.
I also wouldn't really recommend buying a Titan X with that monitor. A gtx 1080 is already kind of overkill for 1920x1080, but the titan x is really meant for 1440p or 4k monitors.
Ark is also an unoptimized mess for all cards. It also isn't a game worth buying a Titan X for.
>>
>>57774201
Alright cool thanks anon good to know I don't need an extra like 2-4k for other cards. also true I suppose worse case when the 1080 fails eventually buy the titan when/if it's ever realistically needed. I think the 1080 is basically top tier outside of the titan anyways or at least that's my understanding. Is there any suggested monitor to go with? or will the 1080 still be good with that monitor? (I chose that one just based on reviews & price honestly. so I don't know whether it's subpar or what)
>>
>>57773865
shadowplay captures the frame buffer, so basically what you see on your monitor.
It doesn't know about windows.
>>
whats a good vpn for torrenting?
>>
>>57773894
>use an ad blocker (not sure if there are any available on iOS)

None that I'm aware
>>
What's a good linux distro that relies a little more on the Bash shell but isn't completely overwhelming? Never used Linux but I want a challenge that isn't totally overwhelming.
>>
>>57774276
The monitor honestly seems fine. It has a high refresh rate so you probably won't be wasting any of the graphics cards power either.
>>
>>57774420
What's stopping Nvidia from having the know how to capture or hook onto the Direct3D or OpenGL game application instead? Just like OBS.
>>
>>57774498
Nothing. Maybe they just wanted to keep it simple and the majority doesn't play in windowed mode.
>>
>>57774459
There's no such thing as a distro that relies 'a little bit on the bash shell'. You either have distros that have a gui for everything, or distros that are very terminal heavy.
That being said, it is entirely possible to install a basic distro and choose to use the terminal for certain tasks instead of using a gui.

Assuming you are experienced with Windows, I would recommend you try out Linux mint cinnamon. It's designed to look like windows, so the ui shouldn't be too alien to you. It's also a beginner distro, so it has a gui for pretty much everything.
What you should do, however, is use the terminal as much as possible. Use commands to download programs, update, make files, edit text, kill processes, view images, etc.
Just because you are provided with a gui for certain tasks, doesn't mean you have an obligation to use it.

If you're up for more of a challenge than mint, try antergos. Its basically just a gui installer for arch, and then sets up the entire os for you.
>>
>>57773915
Sorry yeah RAID all drives will be 5200
>>
>>57770448
How come the only metadata foobar2k is finding for my Michael Jackson album with freedb is a bunch of chinese and hispanic music? It's not just MJ either, all my music tag searches find some completely different stuff from what Im searching for. Im on the latest build
>>
>>57770448
can someone point me to an actual decent guide to ipv6 for a retard like me?
subnetting
NAT
all this shit i dont understand how ipv6 works
>>
So, I've been out of the loop, for cheap budget gaming PC, should I go with which processor for integrated GPU and for discrete GPU?

Pentium G3258
i3-3240
Athlon 64 X4 760k (didn't find the 860k around here)
>>
File: 1475747251559.png (71KB, 353x332px) Image search: [Google]
1475747251559.png
71KB, 353x332px
I installed a new graphics card.

Things look and run better, with one exception.
Anything that moves looks real grany for some reason.

For example, if I move the camera shadows under trees get grainy and there is a lot of movement, it's almost like with a CRT where you see the ants.
A characters idle animation turns his shirt into grain.
Grass goes grainy when it blows in the wind.
I move the camera or step closer to some potted plant and as I am moving closer the thing gets grainy and moves A LOT.

Is this just something I never noticed before or taking for granted because I was playing on a toaster?
Is there a setting in the control panel thingy I should turn on or off?
Time to buy a 4k screen?
>>
>>57773035
I just used Android's formatting tool.
>>
I don't know what to look for when purchasing new memory. Anyone have a decent guide I can read so I can edumucate myself?
>>
What is the cheapest way to get a Windows 7 64 bit disc with a working product key? All attempts at creating a bootable USB have failed
>>
How come everyone assumes that if AI ever become smarter than us they will be assholes?

I always liked the idea of benevolent AI overlords.
>>
I want to get a new monitor for photo and video editing, is 1080p at 24 inches still passable today or should I get 1440p at 27 inches? I'd preferably want to get a 1440p monitor but there's a huge bump in price between 1080p and 1440p IPS monitors. I've only used mediocre 21.5 inch 1080p gaymen monitors and right now I'm using a shitty 1680x1050 monitor, and I'll use dual monitors so I don't really need the absolute biggest monitor available.
>>
File: 1479999190884.jpg (200KB, 1320x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1479999190884.jpg
200KB, 1320x1236px
Hi /sqt/, also asked this on the dpt, sorry if that's trouble asking twice :

I'm pretty good with R and Matlab when it comes to maths, quantitative finance and statistical analysis, and I know these languages weren't design to build applications, just mentioning it let you know that I have a somewhat good understanding of basic programming concepts and thinking.

The thing is I'd like to learn how to develop plugins (for websites, through Greasemonkey and the likes). I know I should learn JS, JQuery and such, but I can't possibly find good resources that teach me how to tinker with APIs and shit, and I feel like if I go through a plain JS book, I'll know something about the language but then I'll be let loose with no explanations on how to use that knowledge.

So I'd like to know if there are some books/websites/etc that aim to teach JS and its tools specifically for buiding plugins ?
>>
what do i use to activate a pirated copy of windows 10?
>>
What are the major differences between a Scanner and a BufferedReader in java? I can't see a difference between the two when reading values from files.
>>
>>57775560
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/Scanner.html
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/BufferedReader.html
>>
So what's the deal with water cooling? is it any better than normal fans for cooling? Is it risky or does it require a lot of maintenance?
>>
>>57774682
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>57775663
One scans the text of its input and the other reads its inputs.
I've read these before and they don't help. You didn't answer my question.
>>
Just had that piece of shit firefox cause a memory leak and freeze up my whole PC. It wouldn't even let me kill the process (along with preventing any other ones such as explorer from being started) and when i tried logging off it was just stuck at the logoff screen with zero HDD activity, it was as if the whole PC had been frozen so i had to do a manual restart. How to prevent piece of shit cuckedfox from causing something like this again in the future?
>>
My GPU fan starts making screeching sounds when it starts spinning faster. is there any way to fix it without buying a new one?
>>
How do i download entire waybackmachine mirrors on win7
>>
>>57775820
Check if it's not actually a loose fan wire that's being scratched by the blades.
>>
How do I uPgrade a thinkPad ? I want to get a t430 but need it to have a good CPU for music production.
>>
I bought Samsung Gear Vr from eBay for a christmas gift, but the one I received is in the Chinese box. I'm in Canada.
Is there any chance of weird region issues? i.e. phone fitting, different phone hardware not working?
>>
File: IMG_20161201_010358.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161201_010358.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>57775847
nope doesn't hit the wires. though i noticed the screetching stops or intensifies if i bend the gpu little.
>>
Can someone recommend a ~$200 120 or 144hz monitor? Not looking to spend much, but I need a new monitor to replace some failing old ones so I figured I might as well upgrade.
>>
File: IMG_2593.jpg (134KB, 750x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2593.jpg
134KB, 750x733px
What does bottleneck mean?
>>
Best brand for a 480 8gb?

I was under the impression that both sapphire and powercooler are good makers
>>
>>57776187
neck of the bottle is your cpu
body of the bottle is your gpu

fill the bottle and turn it upside down. notice how all the water doesnt just flow right through. the neck is preventing that.

a slow cpu can hinder a fast gpu performance.
>>
>>57776289

Powercolor uses low quality mosfets on their Red Devil model, so better not get that one. Gigabyte/Sapphire/MSI/ASUS cards are generally fine.
>>
>>57776333

It can also be the other way around, but that's less common.
>>
470 vs 480 vs 480 8gb for 1080p gaming?
>>
File: 1472092301417.png (172KB, 1519x950px) Image search: [Google]
1472092301417.png
172KB, 1519x950px
>>57770448

Anyone got a windows10/chrome app that combines articles from several different sites? MS10 News is shitty and biased, but something like that except I get to control what sites I want on it. I cant be fucked to browse 5 different tech sites just to find stuff im interested in
>>
>>57776380

Depends on the games. What do you want to play and at which settings?
>>
>>57776400
I don't really play that much, just want a GPU which will last a while at decent settings, I'm more about fps than quality because I have a 144hz monitor.

I do play a lot of CSGO which preferably will never go below 144.

I saw on some benchmarks the 480 is only slightly higher fps average but the 470 has lots lower drops
>>
>>57776454

In that case I'd get an RX 480 4GB; if the difference in price is small enough for you, you might even get the 8GB version. Did you take a look at the GTX 1060, too?
>>
>>57775908
Better yet how do I get into think pads where do I learn the parts to upgrade?
>>
>>57776505
I'm aware the 1060 is a good choice, but I don't really like what nvidia are doing. I also play quite a bit on linux where nvidia is far superior, but I'm ok with the performance loss to support the open source effort linux is making.
>>
File: 61iIgxwedXL.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
61iIgxwedXL.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
What should I do with a 16GB msata i got for free?

I hear I can toss it in my T420 for cache or something?
Thing is I boot from a SSD and have the ultrabay adapter for a storage HDD already.
>>
Is a titan x pascal worth the $1200? Will the 1080Ti be a better value while maintaining the power of the titan x pascal?
>>
>>57776532

I mentioned the GTX 1060, since Nvidia is generally better in DX11 games, which CS:GO is.
>>
File: 1452133451742.png (55KB, 988x718px) Image search: [Google]
1452133451742.png
55KB, 988x718px
anybody know how to make ConEmu wrap the text better?
tired of this long, single line output shit.
>>
Is this pizza related?
>>
File: 999999999999.jpg (36KB, 221x246px) Image search: [Google]
999999999999.jpg
36KB, 221x246px
>Have an old laptop my mom bought me back in 2008-9
>Has gotten slow, battery is dead, needs charger just to stay on (i'm gonna buy a battery for it)
Will formatting the drive help the speed? I also want to keep Win7 though, so if I clean up the drive will it also remove Win7? If it does, would I be able to atleast install some version of linux on it even though it's pretty much a void?
>>
Is vim a meme or can I actually use it for make some Python programs?
>>
File: 2016-11-30 (1).png (146KB, 1010x1228px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-30 (1).png
146KB, 1010x1228px
should I worry ??
>>
File: NJ93qxL.jpg (27KB, 409x389px) Image search: [Google]
NJ93qxL.jpg
27KB, 409x389px
A friend of mine in a group chat just sent a message so large and filled with emojis that my texting app no longer opens. Is there a way for me to delete my conversations, without having to open the app, on an Android phone so that I can text again?
>>
How can I get VMWare to support 3440x1440 properly?
>>
File: tmp_25527-5421817221124035309.jpg (263KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25527-5421817221124035309.jpg
263KB, 1024x682px
How important is psuedocode? I know planning is important, but is writing pseudocode an efficient way of doing that?
>>
>>57777371
Been using vim for about a month properly. I love it. It would be good for Python because you don't need any dedicated bloatware ide to name something good and vim should have built in syntax highlighting for Python.
>>
so after installing a gtx 480 i tried out arch linux again, and without realizing i got a no display error. i'm assuming this has to do wtih the fact i didn't install the display driver for it. the thing is, i can't even get to the terminal shell it just logs me out when i try to startx.

what do? can i just run a terminal without the need for X to run?
>>
File: screen-matte-panel.jpg (200KB, 1920x989px) Image search: [Google]
screen-matte-panel.jpg
200KB, 1920x989px
What is the best laptop for under $500 that comes with a matte screen? Nothing smaller than 13 inches.
>>
any good and legit activators for office programs?
>>
>>57778073
Drawings for the structural part of your application, and pseudocode for the procedural
>>
Anyone have any good ideas for a Java1 course Final Project?
>>
>>57777910
clear the app data ? reinstall it ?
>>
>>57772711
Bump
>>
File: mysteryniggas.png (137KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
mysteryniggas.png
137KB, 500x370px
which hard drive manufacturers make the most reliable 2TB 7200rpm hard drives?
>>
What should i set my audio manager settings to with my hd 598?
>>
File: 1474080540704.png (7KB, 415x416px) Image search: [Google]
1474080540704.png
7KB, 415x416px
I'm getting the "OpenSSL X509 store error" message whilst trying to install one of those gem thingies for Ruby (cmd on win7)

Wat do, i really need this fucking program to work fuck
>>
>>57771346
Worse case is you fuck up the install on the sd card and use built in noobs recovery or torch it and start again
>>
I just installed ubuntu for the very first time on an old crappy laptop, and I don't have wifi. I checked additional drivers and it says it's using a broadcom wireless driver

please be gentle to me
>>
>>57771986
about:config
browser.newtab.url value=url
>>
File: minecraft.jpg (28KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
minecraft.jpg
28KB, 720x960px
Just got a new monitor and it's the same line as my old one except 27" not 21"
Everything looks great except it seems some of the edges are alittle rough around the edges like pic related.
Did I just not notice before or is something setup incorrectly?
>>
>>57778502
WD Black or HGST.
>>
>>57772711
Flash a new operating system over it
>>
>>57777374
>8 Sectors in 500 hours
Yes if it increases, No if it doesnt.
>>
>>57773035
SD foundation has a tool for it.
Make sure you rewrite clusters.
>>
>>57778691
If it's a 1080p monitor then everything will look less clear, due to the lower pixel density.
>>
>>57778691
Same resolution? 1080? then its because less DPI.

27" is for 1440p monitors.
>>
>>57773559
Python if you have no idea but just want to
>>
>>57778549
>>57778549
Also i already replaced that pem file but it's still not working, same error message as before

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27364008/cant-access-rubygems-possibly-due-to-ssl
>>
>>57773559
Java, C or Phyton.
>>
>>57778728
>>57778742
Yeah turns out it's 1080 monitor oh well
>>
>>57778766
>>57778549
>>57778766
Nevermind i uninstalled the unreliable ruby piece of shit now and am going to find me some alternative that actually works
>>
>>57778691
it could be a few things (i'm not exactly sure what you're talking about)

if that's windows 10 and what you mean is that the taskbar icons look jaggy, that's because microsoft made the monumentally idiotic decision with w10 to change the display size of taskbar icons from the standard 32x32 pixels to 24x24 (or something along those lines). this is awful both because it makes the icons too small (even on a 1366 x 768 display that's entirely too small for my taste) but also because program icon size is standardized at 32x32 and 16 x16, meaning w10 resamples the 32 x 32 icon to 24 x 24 pixels. any time you resample pixel art, which is what images at such a low resolution are, it looks TERRIBLE, so as a result taskbar icons in w10 all look like ragged-edged ass because they're being resized to a lower resolution. the best part is that there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this. feel like 24x24 icons are too small? don't like how horrendous they look due to resampling? too bad; it's what you're stuck with because microsoft made yet another stupid, pointless decision that you have no control over. it could be that you just never noticed this on a smaller display

the other thing could be your display's sharpness setting, if you're talking about everything looked strange. most flat-panel displays have a "sharpness" or "smoothness" setting controllable in their OSD that affects how sharp or smooth the display looks. i think the way it works is that the raw image is sharpened to give more distinct difference between pixels, since basically all displays seem to have some sharpening set by default. this isn't really a bad thing, it just may vary between manufacturer and model how much sharpening is applied by default, and any monitor i've used lets you change this setting
>>
>>57778691
>>57779114
the last thing i can think of, since i'm not totally sure what aspect of that image you have issue with, could be that you need to change the text anti-aliasing for that monitor. certain anti-aliasing methods look better on some types and sizes of monitors than others. windows lets you configure cleartype settings on a per-monitor basis so you can try using the cleartype tuner to changes the text rendering settings for your new monitor to find a setting you like, assuming text is what you have issue with
>>
chmod o+r on a symbolic link gives me

"chmod: cannot access ‘wsd’: Too many levels of symbolic links"

what do?
>>
>>57779114
>w10 icons
I think this might be the case
The text in general looks alittle sharp, but that setting didn't seem to fix it so I'll check the cleartype settings
>>
>>57773167
okay so when i get to the terminal and type yaourt amd gpu pro i find the package but i get a "command error: --pkg" thing.

not sure what to do now.

the forums say to not run in root but i wasn't afaik. what's going on?
>>
>>57779352
dont use yaourt
>>
>>57779457
yaourt is so convenient literally give 1 reason.
>>
>>57779464
1.pacaur
>>
>>57779470
does it have a colorful legend for repos and minimal commands?

also this is all pointless. i literally can't start x and it was working before my new card. i decided to try and install a new card but when i try to build i get an error command for "--pkg" for some reason, and the forums say "hurr don't be in root" which makes no fucking sense. what am i supposed to do here? i cleared my repo cache and resync'd my package database but it then gave me a transaction error and said my i3 package.tar.dbz was corrupt along with some others like zathura.
>>
Is there a way when entering the file name during file save that you can name it as a string of the current date/time?

If not, is there another lightweight alternative to LightShot that lets me save files as that?
>>
>>57779519
You can install it and read its man page, or you can just fucking install it and use it and find out.

>--pkg
This is yaourt being shit, stop using it.
>>
Thermal paste for a slim PS3? Been a while since seeing chips that are Xbox hueg.
>>
File: 317U6VKqJ4L[1].jpg (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
317U6VKqJ4L[1].jpg
15KB, 500x500px
Okay, I've got a REALLY stupid question.

Are both of these routers modem/router combos for DSL? I'm assuming that they're VDSL2 compatible, right? My ISP is shitty and doesn't provide any sort of approved list of modem/routers.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNDR4500-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00HEX851C?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY
>>
>>57779557
fair enough, but the same pkg error thing pops up with pacman though.

i don't like manpages though i just try out a package on the fly.
>>
>>57774034
Most if not all games will run fine off of an external if it's at least a 3.0. At most you'll just get longer load times.
>>
>>57779577
pacman does not have a '--pkg' switch.
Thats youart
>>
Got a 500GB flash drive today, what distro should I slap on it
>>
>>57779658
ok i'm going to install my driver using packman. how do i query through it? i can just type out amdgpu-pro but i'm worried if it ever gets upgraded and i need to type out the version.
>>
I have an RX 480 8gb edition, if I get the same card just as a 4gb edition and crossfire them is there any benefit or draw back because of the differences in available memory?
>>
File: confusede.png (47KB, 397x296px) Image search: [Google]
confusede.png
47KB, 397x296px
this may be a really dumb question but is there anything like a java emulator or basically any way to run java stuff without actually having to install java? there's a game someone's working on that i'd really like to try out but they're unfortunately writing it in java and i can't bring myself to put that piece of shit back on my computer just to play it
>>
>>57779712
You wont use pacman,pacman does not not touch the aur in any way.You need a helper script(pacaur) to manage aur packages.
>>
>>57779749
i see my apologies for the ignorance. im gonna install/run pacaur and try to get my drivers up.
>>
>>57779749
that being said why is yaourt broken with its pkg switch? wouldn't that be kept out of the main builds/
>>
>>57777354
Throw an SSD in it if you want it to be all around faster. If you format the drive you will also be removing windows and if the drive doesn't have a recovery partition then you should have some recovery discs from the manufacturer, if not windows can make recovery media for you.
>>
I want to develop a similar program to the good old Picasa using C#/C++. How long would it take me to finish it, given I already have the algorythms and most of the program thought? Is it worth engaging the project alone?
>>
>>57770448
How do I use make?

I mean, any good guides on how to write a simple makefile? I have two .cpp files and a .h if it makes any difference.

>tfw tech illiterate
>>
File: crying.jpg (40KB, 241x343px) Image search: [Google]
crying.jpg
40KB, 241x343px
I got a MicroSD card stuck up my nose plz help
>>
>>57780077
Please explain in greentext how this happened
>>
I need to allow a symbolic link directory to serve a web page, know how I can do this?
>>
Why is startpage so SLOW
>>
>>57779715
Lowest common denominator: 4
>>
Highly considering a 4k hdtv as a monitor for some vidja and streaming. Got a gtx1080 i5 6500 setup 16gb ram so that's sorted.

My question is what TV has good enough response time to be a half decent monitor? I live in the UK.
>>
>>57780132
>sitting in home browsing 4chan on computer
>find random MicroSD card lying around
>also a little drunk
>Decide to stick up nose for some reason
>stuck

Blowing nose hard seems to be slowly loosening it. Maybe I need to get those little things you use to grab stuff whoch I cant remember name of right now
>>
File: 1480564482533-1215097326.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1480564482533-1215097326.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>57770448
R8 my biggest fan
>>
>>57778700
But doesn't Google Play Services remain? Is there a substitute?
>>
>>57780207
Try to snort and hock like you're getting a loogy out
>>
>>57780207
Tweezers?
>>
>>57779706
Solus and compile an SSTP client for extra points
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 230x221px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 230x221px
What?
>>
>>57780227
I don't know what either of those are, I got bored waiting for a response and installed Mint Cinnamon 18
>>
>>57780229
==
>>
>>57780229
you should replace = with ¥
>>
>>57780214
if you flash a cm or aosp based rom, it doesn't come with google services.
You have to flash that separately, so if you don't flash it then you have no botnet.

Just be aware, that you no longer have access to the play store, and lots of apps won't work without it. I would recommend making a nandroid backup of your phone right now, then go ahead and flash a rom and see if you can survive without google services.
If you find that you absolutely need the google services, you'll have that backup that you can quickly restore from.
>>
>>57780235
Oh man that was dumb of me, thanks.
>>
File: Ba5xw.jpg (152KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
Ba5xw.jpg
152KB, 511x511px
>>57780234
normie
>>
So I have a PS4, and I bought a PS4 Pro, and I'm looking to move my data from the PS4 HDD to the PS4 Pro HDD, I bought an enclosure for the drive, but when I plug it into the PS4 Pro it says that it cannot use the usb device. Am I missing something here or should I just upload the HDD to the cloud?
>>
File: 1428658835576.png (29KB, 594x838px) Image search: [Google]
1428658835576.png
29KB, 594x838px
How can I use technology to BTFO Normies?
>>
>>57780316
A think pad and fedora combo will make all normies btfo like you've got the bubonic plague
>>
>>57775170
Is this happening with all of the games you're playing or just one? Could it be motion blur or something?
>>
File: normies_.jpg (110KB, 1080x821px) Image search: [Google]
normies_.jpg
110KB, 1080x821px
>>57780346
not true by the way. just yesterday this happened:
>oh hey bro you mind if we sit... OOHHHHHhhhh FUCK DUDE! Is that a fucking T460?! No way, brah! That's fucking scandatious bombatious, my man. I just got 32 gig RAM in my little beast, absolutely no stalls working on any projects, brah. BRO! what GNU slash Linux distro do I see there? Hang on let me look, bro. Oh okay, bro, okay bro, ubuntu is pretty gnarly but, ya know, I'm more of a freeBSD kind of guy. Anyway, dude, my squad and I need to fly so catch ya on the flip sigh, bro.
>>
File: stickers.jpg (159KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
stickers.jpg
159KB, 640x480px
>>57780346
Also, make sure to put on as many stickers as you can.
>>
>>57780404
Think that's normie behaviour you fucking pleb? You got some autistic shut in trying way too hard to be a normie there.
>>
>>57780260
https://youtu.be/etQ_fMi33O4
Have you checked this video?
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wx44Yr
Is this as powerful a gaming pc as possible for the estimated price? Is there any possible improvements within said price range?
>>
Hi!
Just bought a large format scanner and was wondering if there's a good scanning program that I can download.
Anybody have a recommendation
>>
>>57780506
4/10 b8
>>
>>57780656
Why is it bait. I'm being genuine.
>>
>>57780688
>>57780656
is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7zBTpb better for excessive budget builds? I was told in another thread the cpu was shit.
>>
>>57780688
you already got your (You) from me
drop the act
>>
>>57780706
It's not an act anon, I know fuck all about building pcs but if I'm going to do it I'd rather have an overpowered one than a mediocre one.
>>
>>57780703
wait you seriously want to spend this much money on a pc?
If you aren't kidding then tell me what your ideal budget is so I can see if there are any edits that should be made.
>>
>>57780727
I am serious and honestly ideally in the 4,000-5,000 range though I mean if it could still max shit out cheaper's fine too. I just figure the titan pascal is top now so that's a given and found the cpu off some youtuber that does 4k and modded stuff.
>>
>>57780744
alright listen.
Is it safe to assume that you are just going to be using this computer for games, or are you going to be doing any work that requires insane amounts of processing power?
>>
>>57780586
okay I downloaded Paperport
is there anything else worth getting
I want help =(
>>
>>57780756
It's safe to assume just for gaming. I'm not into video editing or any of that sort of stuff (Which from my understanding requires a different focus on gpu or cpu or something) I just want to be able to max out my games ideally without stuttering/constant dips like I have now with my laptop. Also I probably need to add better or more fans I'm guessing to that build list since I've heard titans heat excessively fast.
>>
File: 1466352483635.jpg (43KB, 336x394px) Image search: [Google]
1466352483635.jpg
43KB, 336x394px
Is computer support technician a good certificate to start with until i learn more skills and earn more certs? Im mid twentkes and desperate.
>>
>>57780779
Taking a look at your monitor, if you're gonna stick with that resolution and 144hz then you could literally save 2000$ and still run all your favorite games plus newer games in the future. The cpu is waaay overkill and I think you could stick with the gpu, but still think its slightly too much for maxing out games. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes just go with an i7 6600k, and u could get a lot cheaper motherboard. Read through previous threads for a better idea.
im just
>assuming you're not rich
>assuming you're not trolling
>>
>>57770448
Why can't I get a girl to like me?
>>
>>57780779
take a look at this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R2qhFd
You'll notice that it is much weaker compared to the builds you were posting, but the kind of computer you were thinking of buying would be more of a workstation type of rig, not really used for games.

Main differences I made are that I swapped the monitor you picked for a g sync 1440p one.
I also changed the case for something much nicer.

Anyone else is also welcome to take a look at the build and edit or make suggestions.
>>
Instead of buying a dedicated headphone DAC/amp combo, why can't I just buy a regular desktop/stereo DAC/amp (and a set of speakers later) and just plug my headphones into that? I'm more partial to bigger devices anyway.
>>
>>57780927
>the cpu is overkill
that would make it more futureproof no? or do cpus not work that way? As for the monitor I haven't really come to a full decision on that as another anon a bit back in this thread said it was shit for even a 1080 let alone a titan (said 4k monitor would be ideal for a titan) and if that's the case I'd consider getting a 4k. Also I again have no tech experience so building alone will be an insane challenge I assume but Ideally I'd overclock whatever I could or whatever'd give the best improvement so I'll look at the 6600k.

Is the motherboard a bad one? I again have no idea how to determine what's a good mb to choose so Just picked on with top reviews and that said compatible with the other parts basically.

Also again, 100% genuine. I'm not rich just someone that doesn't pay rent (or at least much) so I can spend basically 99% of my money however I want and plan to save until I have my perfect build.

>>57780983
Thanks anon, Is that monitor one that'd work well with the titan? Also it'd still annihilate any modern game(s) right? The whole reason I started looking into custom pcs was due to ark running like absolute shit even on the lowest settings honestly. and supposedly ark is shit even with a titan but it at least holds a playable framerate at max. Also hitman would be nice above lowest settings probably.
>>
Where can I find a version of windows 8/8.1 that is spyware free and asks me for the activation key AFTER install and not before?

I've seen videos of that kind of windows but I can't find the ISO for the OS anywhere. If there isn't one, how do I activate the Windows OS ISO on my new computer?
>>
File: wilde tron.png (65KB, 185x183px) Image search: [Google]
wilde tron.png
65KB, 185x183px
Has anyone ever bought anything from NCIXUS.com? And if so, how long did it take for it to ship? Because I bought a CPU from them last Friday VERY early in the morning, and it's been in processing since at least Monday. I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a full refund from them and get the CPU from Newegg instead because at this rate I'd get it from Newegg faster than if I just waited for NCIX to ship.
>>
Can i buy a MicroUSB to HDMI cable and connect my Moto G 2013 to a TV or i need another adapter?
>>
>>57773748
if it was me i would probably just cut one end off of a sata cabe and solder the wires onto the pads on the board, fuck trying to fix the connector
>>
>>57773748
Just replace the PCB?
>>
>>57781046
ok, so I'm not the first person you responded to, but I'll address some of your questions.

>overkill cpu would make it more futureproof no?
not really. CPUs are almost never the bottleneck in a system, even after many years of using them. A 6700K is already top of the line for consumers, and the fact that you can overclock it means it will not be considered weak for many years (I'd estimate that you could keep that thing for almost 10 years before it really starts bottlenecking you).

The monitor I recommended is much better than the original one you had. the titan can handle 4k, but I don't think it will hit 144hz maxed out in most games at that resolution. If resolution is more important to you, then go for a 4k monitor with a lower refresh rate. Otherwise, the 1440p 144hz one I picked isn't bad.
With this setup you will easily be able to max any game out, and you'll know that if it stutters it's an issue with the game, not your parts.

>I'm not rich just someone that doesn't pay rent
Look, I'm really happy that you have the disposable income to buy a computer this beastly, but I have to just make sure you know that this isn't necessary to run games maxed out. Plenty of people build computers for under $1k, and they can max out games at 1080p for several years. When they notice that they can't max out games at a nice framerate anymore, they usually just upgrade one part.
That's the norm. Of course this is your money and you can spend it however you want, but I just really think you should be 100% sure that you want to invest this much money.

Anyway, welcome to pc gaming! I hope you find it enjoyable.
>>
>>57773865
as long as you aren't moving the window around, just crop the resulting video
>>
>>57770448

With SSDs, if you delete x-amount of data, format it, fill it to the brim with new data, format it again, fill to the brim and format yet again; is it still easy to recover the original data before all the overwriting and formatting?
>>
>>57781152
no. If you actually completely fill up a drive with data there isn't really a good way of recovering anything.

>>57781046
check out logicalincrements.com.
It's a site run by a /g/entooman. He's got builds posted there for every price point, and also guides on all the different computer parts so you can learn what they do and what you need.
>>
>>57781138
Other anon here, I agree with everything this anon said.
>>
Is there a way I can somehow roll dice to show odds? Is there some simple app or website where I can put odds in, like 1 in 2500, and then roll to see positive or negative? Is there a simple way to do this on a calculator app?
>>
>>57781138
Cool thanks anon, I'll probably use your list then since If I need to go to 4k I can easily just swap monitors in the future. and huh so basically the one I currently have is just extreme excess even for the whole extreme build mentality? I do mod games to an extreme as well (minecraft, ark, starbound, etc.) I don't know if that relates to the cpu (mine tends to always be near maxed when playing mc but laptop) or not but I'll keep that in mind and possibly just go with the cpu you or that anon recommended.

and yeah I realize it's insane price wise, originally I was nearly at 2k max and then it ended up near 5k but honestly 4k if it means I can play everything top tier for a long while (I'd assume it'll last forever) doesn't bother me. It might just be playing on a 660m for like a few years now that makes me want to go insanely overboard but I mean eh something to aim for at least. I'm still scared though about fans, I have no idea what the ideal fan(s) or what are. I've heard about water cooling and normal fans and I don't have an idea of where to start in ensuring if/when I do begin the op build it'll have an appropriate fan system and not overheat (I hear the titan throttles itself at 80 Celsius and it reaches that relatively easily I've heard.)

>>57781177
Thanks anon, I'll check the site out
>>
If all i wanna do is read chinese drawins in a tablet should i get a normal tablet or a windows tablet for something even better?
>>
>>57781177

Thanks, I had about 50+ GB of home made pr0n that a grill was saying I was using to 'Extort' her with so I wiped/formatted/overwrote the data then gave the SSD in question to a detective but that was nearly a year ago and nothings happened since then.

I'd hire a lawyer to get back my SSD but nothing of value was of it and they obviously haven't had any luck yet.
>>
>>57781243
they probably won't be able to find anything if you actually filled up the drive with random data and not just a quick format.

more importantly, did you save any of that porn?
>>
I have an Intel i5 3210m ivybridge. It supports turbo boost and once actually did use it by default and looks like it has become disabled somehow. I have no BIOS options for anything processor related other than something called "speed step".

When I go to bring up the turbo monitor program it says "turboboost isn't currently running". Under administrative tools and services I have no service for it at all, and only the actual monitor for turbo boost.

Right now I'm under the High Performance setting and according to CPU Z I'm being clocked at 1.2Mhz and doesn't even move based on any type of strain. The chipset is a 2.5Mhz and 3.1Mhz boosted, and it used to actually utilize turbo boost.

What the heck happened? I can't multitask at all now. I recently updated some drivers and also a BIOS update, but this was happening before I had done all that also.
>>
>>57773356
No, carding refers to stealing people's credit card info and using/reselling it
>>
File: GND.jpg (103KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
GND.jpg
103KB, 528x960px
>>57781251

No but it's for the best because extortion using sexual images can be prosecuted as a sex crime and I don't need that.

She had that slightly cute, innocent 'Girl Next Door' look but did HORRIBLE things to me and had HORRIBLE things done to her.

This is her.

Sorry, senpai.
>>
>>57781140
Not going to work well for live streams
>>
>>57781372
why not?
>>
>>57781362
it's ok anon. I wish you luck with that whole situation.
>>
>>57781378
Shadowplay has no scene editing. I use OBS with NVENC right now, but I'm talking about Shadowplay itself.
>>
>>57781388
i don't know anything about shadowplay, but it's something nvidia made, it's sure to be inflexible as fuck
>>
>>57781380

At this point, it's almost been a year so I'm not worried. It's considered an alleged "Family Violence" crime and the detective on the case hasn't contacted me once so her report will just get swept under the rug and my SSD will stay in evidence lockup for a few years.
>>
I need to allow a symbolic link directory to serve a web page

At the moment I'm getting a 403 error because it doesn't have permission to read the symbolic link dir

How do I do?
>>
>>57779846
thanks anon
>>
>>57781243
>>57781362
>saying you erased evidence
>posting an identifiable image of someone involved
you better hope nobody who cares sees this thread
>>
File: IMG_20161130_2237072_rewind.jpg (569KB, 1920x1088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161130_2237072_rewind.jpg
569KB, 1920x1088px
Hey, what would be in an at least nine or so year old crank flashlight? Pic related.
>>
>>57781222
So after looking at that guide I've added a proper fan (It didn't say you needed more than one so I take it they're good enough solo)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FTBhFd
& alternatively
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpgQcc
If anyone's got anything they'd recommend changing feel free to let me know. Thanks again to all the anons that helped. Can't wait to abandon the whole laptop shit.
>>
My ThinkPad Yoga 14 won't boot. I can turn it on, the fan whirs, the Fn light comes on and I can se the keyboad (the mute/F1 button works) but the Lenovo loading screen doesn't come on.

When it's turned off and I plug in the AC, the i in "ThinkPad" blinks 4 times.

Someone please help me.
>>
>>57781416
It could be worse, like being unable to downgrade to Shadowplay 2.11.4 or NVENC being locked from third party software like OBS to use it.
>>
>>57770448
I plan on building a new PC after years of faithful service from my 750ti came to an end. I was wondering if it was worth waiting for the new Zen cpus, or could I go ahead and get a i5-6600k. Also how will the 490 compare to the 1070?
>>
>>57781480

Eh, I'm not worried; they were looking for pictures and/or proof of any threatening e-mails.

It's all alleged and none of it was true.
>>
>>57781574
ah, i see
that's true, having the pron alone does not an extortion make
>>
>>57781495
If you can afford it, go with the first build with the 2tb SSD.
Every game you install on that will load so fast that you'll wish you did this earlier.
>>
>>57781508
pls
>>
>>57781607
It's not particularly more expensive I probably will go with that one thanks anon. Just wondering is the Mobo good enough you think? I wanna overclock if possible and from the guide it says some don't support overclocking so I don't know whether I should look for a better one or whether the one on the list would be sufficient
>>
>>57781649
The one you have picked overclocks just fine.
>>
>>57781592

The one thing that did had me on edge for a bit was they subpoenaed a super old e-mail account of mine that I used to e-mail her from; it was an Outlook account.

I also used a Gmail but had closed it months before any of bullshit started; I wondered how deep they would look into me.

I can only imagine how pissed off the detective was when they couldn't find anything.
>>
>>57781664
Alright good to hear, reading the reviews on newegg there're a lot of 1 egg reviews which scares me, but the other mobo's listed on the guide don't seem compatible with the 6700k which sucks given it seems to be a great cpu.
>>
>>57781694
i wonder if the hotmail account i made in 2003 still exists, haven't touched in in years
>>
So I just got a gigabyte g1 1080, and it's fans are loud, I've searched and people said it's fixed in a bios update. I check for update on the extreme engine utility, but it says there is no update. It's on f1 bios, and on the website it says f2 is the current. How am I suppose to update the bios if the tool says no update found? I seen thing for nvflash, but the bios file on gigabytes website isn't a .bios, it's a .rar so I'm stumped.
>>
>>57774095
Shameless morning bump
>>
How do you hack a computer?
>>
>>57781877
With an axe
>>
>>57781864
>while True
>>
>>57781980
You have to assume I'm a complete retard in these regards. If both lines of code have x = 1, shouldn't they work?

Using 3.5
>>
Haven't lurked here for a while. Wondering what /g/ thinks of current Dell and HP laptops? My mother can choose either one get through work and I'd like to give her good advice about it.
>>
>>57780386
All my video games, I turn motion blur off everywhere.

I might just be going autistic about jaggies
>>
>>57782019
The first loop is set so that when x reaches 20 it stops. The second loop will only stop once false, but it never gets set to false.
>>
How do I test a new hard drive to make sure it's good
>>
>>57782112
shake it around and see if it rattles
>>
>>57782169
Some pepper came out
>>
>>57781877
learn computer science and the technology surrounding it so you'll understand the rules, by understanding the rules it makes it easier to break them i.e. (Hack)

Start by learning a programming language, and if you have a love for computer science you'll push yourself forward fueled by your own motivation and eventually everything will fall in to place on your journey. If you don't...don't even bother, you're wasting your time.
>>
File: 1328258731765.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1328258731765.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>57782110
Thanks mate, I assumed that the break command would stop it. Since it stops at 10 in the first set of code
>>
Just assembled my new PC and my GPU isn't showing up in Device Manager. What do?
>>
I'm writing jquery.
I need to fade in after fading multiple containers.

If there was only ONE, I could use,

$('#container1').fadeTo(0,'slow', function(){
$(this).fadeTo(1,'slow)
})

How do I do this with multiple fading calls?
>>
Boys, how's that tool called that serves js stuff locally instead of using 3rd party CDNs?
>>
>>57782796
in stall drive hers
>>
>>57782929
decentraleyes
>>
>>57782940
Bless your soul, anon.
>>
>>57779735
Why don't you just run the game in a VM?
>>
How are Hitachi's Ultrastar HDDs? All info I can find on google is about their Deskstars
>>
>>57782937
Sorry, let me explain further. I already tried installing the driver updates but it won't work. I have a 470 by the way and i'm using windows 8.1.

I noticed that the GPU didn't show up in the device manager so I went to the AMD website and used the auto detect software to download the latest drivers. It finished but then I get an error message telling me it didn't work and to look at the log for reasons why. I end up seeing that the display driver fails to install. Everything else supposedly worked fine other than that one not installing.
>>
I have an old harddrive and I want to put it in my new computer. Can I do that without losing all the data on that drive?
>>
>>57783137
Yes
>>
File: 569272_v2.gif (2MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
569272_v2.gif
2MB, 350x196px
Did youtube change it's fonts?
>>
>>57783137
Yes
>>
>>57770448
How do I ctrl+c chat logs on hexchat and have it copy the timestamp
>>
how do i tell a laptop with bad wifi from a laptop with good wifi ? are there benchmarks about this ????
>>
what exactly is an HMAC? and how does HMAC-MD5 improves all the security deficiencies of plain MD5?
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.