[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ stupid questions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 39

File: ruYeC.gif (999KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
ruYeC.gif
999KB, 500x279px
Old thread: >>57719844

Post your small, simple or large and complex questions here and be judged by your fellow autistic peers.
>>
Is there any bordlerless image viewers for windows?
>>
What is the current leader in bio luminescent screen technology?

Whether in production or just a prototype tech
>>
Question about BASIC on macros on LibreOffice:
REM ***** BASIC *****

Sub hell_world
dim hell_world as object
hell_world = Range("G31:G42")
Range("H45") = WorksheetFunction.Average(hell_world)
End Sub

I have that and I get the error:
BASIC runtime error.
Sub-procedure or function procedure not defined.

What should I do? Thanks.
>>
>>57733721
So I have a website hosted on a VPS, am I right if I buy a domain with namecheap I can just point it at the servers IP address?
>>
Hey /sqt/
I have a relative coming from Muscat, Oman and I wanted to purchace a laptop from there, the thing is I need an Oman proxy to see if prices there are cheaper(and by how much), unfortunately my vpn doesn't have Oman in options, anyway I can access something like anazon oman?

Are electronics even cheaper there? I know Dubai has lower prices to where I live(India)

pls reply
>>
Is it more efficient (as far as energy produced per amount of space goes) to fill a field with solar panels that charge up power cells of some kind, or to plant crops that can be converted into biofuel?

Obviously energy required in processing should also be considered.
>>
If I a buy a 1tb SSD to replace my current hdd I suppose I'll have to reinstall the OS on the SSD fresh install. Is there any difference when doing this on an SSD than hdd? Just have the SSD plugged in and insert my usb with the os and install as usual or is there some special shit I have to do before hand. Is an SSD worth it as my primary drive since it's going to be 1tb.

Should I also use my old hdd with it at the same time or would that be dumb.
>>
2 questions regarding Wordpress.
1) Do I need to pay if I want to use a custom template? I can't find the option to apply a template other than the ones WP is offering on the free plan.
2) What are some decent alternatives to WP?
>>
>>57734292
Pretty sure solar panels are more efficient, and better for the environment as well since burning biofuel will still create emissions.

Probably more costly though if the scale is large.
>>
I need something to take notes in school with.
Should I get a chromebook or a keyboard for the Ipad we get from the school?
>>
FLAC files tags don't work when copied to my phone MicroSD (which has to be FAT32).
Is there any way to fix this?
>>
>>57734412
A pen or pencil should work
>>
>>57734412
Keyboard is going to be easier to keep up with I would assume.
>>57734440
Typed notes are so much easier to search through later though than a big stack of paper.
>>
I'm dual booting opensuse with windows 10. Everything was working fine more or less but it was asking me for password every time when I opened my ntfs storage partition. I googled it and found that I should open the Partitioner and select to mount the partition so it won't ask me for password all the time. Being a linux noob I selected the partition to mount as /home. I don't know what else I expected but now the distro won't boot. Easiest way to recover or do I need a fresh install? Nothing of value was on original /home btw.
>>
> windows 10 on my ssd
> arch on my hdd
> partition for arch takes only 250gb of my 750gb hdd

How do I partition the rest so that my windows installation can recognise it and use that space for storage for files?
>>
What are some tools i might need when it comes to repair computers?

Phillips screwdriver, canned air, isopropyl alcohol, what else?

Would this screwdriver set be enough?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008TM1910/

Or this?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B000NPZ3J0/

Reminder that the prices are in pesos.

Both are $7-8.
>>
>>57734412
A x series thinkpad.

Chromebooks are limited and low end keyboards usually suck.
>>
>>57734328
No there shouldn't be any difference.

SSD means your OS will load into memory faster so in general having your OS on your SSD is a great idea. Makes your computer seem a lot faster. An SSD with your OS on it speeds up interaction time more than any CPU could from my experience.
>>
Should i buy a GPU or a SSD first?
>>
>>57734533
Priced around 230 USD M8, aint got a lot of money.
>>
>>57734556
SSD is usually cheaper and can make your whole computing experience better. A GPU will just make games better.
>>
>>57734592
And thinkpads are $100-150.

You are asking for a laptop to take notes, not to do anything important.
>>
>>57733756
bump
>>
>>57734616
Maybe im too incompetent to look properly but what I got from searching for the X-series were nothing in that price range.
>>
>>57734363
Could find the answer for question 1 myself. I'd need the Wordpress Premium plan for like 100 bucks a year. Considering that I probably won't be making any money with that site, I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. Maybe it is actually better to design my own site and use a CMS?
>>
File: 687987641315.jpg (171KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
687987641315.jpg
171KB, 900x675px
Best way to scan computer for rootkits and adware?

I want to use a bootable antivirus to scan my full computer but don't know which one to use.

Also don't have a disk drive so should I just find one to use for this purpose? Don't know if I can install several bootable files on one flash drive, and I'm worried about maybe infecting it as well.

Tips on how to go about doing this? No reason to think I have any infections, just paranoid and would rather play it safe.
>>
>>57734486
Nvm got it, booted into recovery with root credentials, opened Partitioner again and changed mount point to /mnt/ntfs. All good now.
>>
>>57734640
Thinkpad x200,x201,x220.
Used, not new.

If you want the cheapest computer possible get a ASUS X205TA or a lenovo ideapad 100s.
>>
File: deepweb.jpg (63KB, 1200x810px) Image search: [Google]
deepweb.jpg
63KB, 1200x810px
>>57733721
Why is fucking casperJS so god damn obtuse. Pls no bully.

casper.start('https://www.website.com', function() 
{
console.log("Running");
this.echo(this.getTitle());
this.evaluate(click_button1); //clicks on a link. Tested in console works.

});

casper.then(function(){
console.log("1...");
this.evaluate(click_button2); // also clicks on a link
});

Basically even though I just clicked on two links all the getTitle()s are exactly the same. /g/, how do I click link
>>
File: partition.png (42KB, 995x710px) Image search: [Google]
partition.png
42KB, 995x710px
>>57734497
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage

Partition the unused portion. You'll have to do this for any new hard drive you install.
>>
>>57734556
Are you upgrading? Fresh Install? Playing lots of demanding games or regular use?

If you're gaming a lot, GPU. Just make sure it will fit in your computer, won't be bottlenecked, and your PSU is good enough to handle what you want
>>
>>57734478
it's so much easier to take handwritten notes though. I prefer to take notes with pen and paper and work them out on my laptop after the lectures so I don't miss out.
>>
>>57734662
Ok me again. I can't install plex media server. Following tutorials just gives me an error (downloaded 64 bit rpm for fedora which is apparently supposed to work).

~> systemctl status plexmediaserver.service
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
Loaded: error (Reason: Invalid argument)
Active: inactive (dead)
>>
>>57734868
True.

I just bought a surface pro for this reason. I do way better writing notes quickly, then I can transcribe them into onenote and organize them properly. At the moment I do the same but into a new notebook and put sticky notes to organize them by topic
>>
>>57734868
Yeah, admittedly it is, but I find handwritten notes to be less useful to you later on when you want to study than typed notes are.

Of course, you can always go home and transcribe your notes later if you want.
>>
looking into being a bit more mobile with reading/gaming but trying to figure out what would be better: a handheld like 3ds + an ereader like kindle or an android tablet for reading + gaming via emulation or google play stuff, any thoughts???
>>
>>57734961
I fucking love my 3ds if that helps you any. There's tons of good games for it and if you get the New 3ds the battery life is pretty great. I think emulation for android is pretty shit imo but if you aren't willing to actually buy games that's the way to go.
>>
>>57734961
Kindle Fire is $33 right now, not all that hard to flash a custom ROM to it and becomes a decent low-cost tablet at that point. Just google AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool will do 99% of the work for you, then you just install FlashFire and flash the latest Cyanogenmod for the model.
>>
What's a good program for sharing my desktop (running windows 7)s screen to my android (7.1)?
>>
>>57735356
teamviewer
>>
File: pls.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Why do I get this instead of my BIOS when I use the boot setup shortcut (ctrl+s on my pc)?

It won't let me change my boot order and AFAIK there are no other menus available before it boots into Windows.
>>
>>57735576
>hey guys why am I being cucked by intel?
>the jewcuck typed

gee I dunno mane, maybe because you went for jewtel?
>>
>>57735356
Unified remote paid version lets you share your screen and control it. Also allows you to use your phone as a remote for apps like vlc, winamp. Pretty cool app.
>>
Any real mouse pad recommendations? Looking for something rather large to occupy most of my desk.
>>
>>57735569
>>57735652
Are these usable with usb or is it only wireless?
>>
How in the FUCK do you find and replace an asterisk in Excel??

My macro won't escape it with \*, ~* shows up as NOTHING, but when I run my macro, it tries to concatenate some cells and crashes on "*"

How in the God-forsaken FUCK do you remove asterisks from a spreadsheet?

This program was supposed to be fine, but now I find out it is not escaping that character...
This is the RegExp pattern, btw: "[+*\\]"
also tried: "[\+\*\\]", "[+\*\\]", and "[+\\]|\*"

What the FUCK is wrong with this shit ass language?
>>
Hey everyone

Is it possible to use Windows Server as a desktop OS,and is it a good idea?
>>
>>57736118
Any desktop can operate as a server if it has the specs.

You shouldn't have any trouble with that, but I'm:
>>57736045
and I'm seriously fucking pissed at Windows AGAIN and Microsoft's bullshit, so I'm gonna recommend you instead go with BSD or Linux or something.
THAT will ALWAYS be a better idea than Windows/Microshit

But, yes, it should work.
But no, it's not a good idea, because Windows.
Unless you need server capabilities, it's also not particularly better than a regular desktop version, say Windows 7, though.
>>
>>57736154
It mainly because I have free and legal licences for Windows Server 2016, but if it's absolutly useless as a desktop, i'll stick with Windows 10
>>
>>57733721
Do you think amd zen will be good? I want to build a pc next year but I don't want to spend too much money. I'm hoping that amd will release a decent zen cpu for sub 200 euros.
>>
>>57736242
Well, idk if it's particularly useless compared to Win 10.

But, if you don't need the server functions, you might as well save it for another time, because switching Mobos will reset ur license.

Just hold it for now, imo
>>
File: 1466006565.png (304KB, 722x768px) Image search: [Google]
1466006565.png
304KB, 722x768px
Any linux sys admins here? Need some help with iptables

>>57735515
>>
How do you round to the nearest factor of a number using python? I can only figure out how to round to the nearest multiple.
>>
>>57736307
Just a guess, b/c I'm not into that kinda stuff atm, but isn't it saved in some kinda document if it's a rule?

Just Vi it an edit it out?
>>
there is an absurdly loud clicking noise coming from my PC and I've confirmed its not any intake or exhaust fan nor the gpu x cpu. My disc drive is not even connected. I've looked up videos of failing psu and hdds. No video is nearly as loud.

This clicking sound will usually start upon start up and end within 30 minutes to never come back again until next start up. This clicking is so loud its not just affecting me.
>>
>>57736328
I have no idea where.
>>
>>57736390
See if it's a small piece of a plastic stuck in one of the other fans.

A small packing plastic piece or metal piece coulda got into the PSU fan or something.
Wouldn't necessarily be easy to see.

If it is the HDD, though, you can confirm by checking the SMART data (using Speccy if on Windows) - that can assure whether it is or is not the HDD
>>
>>57736428
what version of Linux?
I found this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/378892/where-are-iptabless-rulesets-stored-on-ubuntu-12-04
>>
>>57736448
>>57736428
Alternatively, try this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10197405/how-can-i-remove-specific-rules-from-iptables

Just looking things up, lol. Hope one of them works
>>
Any legit public tracker left?
I need Mathlab badly but the only tracker left that I know of is for vietnamese cave paintings
>>
How to activate a pirated copy of MS Office Pro Plus 2010?? I don't feel like pirating a new version and I'm afraid of downloading an activator, I need you to hold my hands.

>inb4 install Libre Office

I have it, but RIGHT NOW I need MS Office.
>>
>>57736607
what is a Public or Private Tracker?
I see /ptg/ threads all the time, but what even are they? And how are they different than a "Public Tracker", which this is my first time hearing, btw?
>>
>>57736661
Public tracker = TPB or KAT where you just download whatever you want
Private tracker = a site you have to be invited or pass auditions to enter, need an account to access and have to maintain a ratio to stay in
>>
I think this is a good place to ask some clarification...

What's wrong with this example C code:

int *foo;
foo = (int *)num;

printf("%d", foo);
>>
>>57736659
MS Office is shit

See:
>>57736045
Fucking doesn't even search asterisks OR escape them properly in RegEx
Gay fucking faggoty shit.
Fuck MS...
I swear to God once I have the money, UNIX all the way... Never gonna get Windows again for day-to-day use.
>>
>>57736661
Public Tracker: Everyone can access files and torrents (ex: KickAss Torrents)
Private Tracker: Generally, you need an invitation to access torrents
>>
>>57736607
>I need Mathlab badly
Your uni has a Matlab subscription, check their IT page for how to get a license file or a key.

If it doesn't, then you don't need Matlab at all, let alone badly.
>>
>>57736686
But what do you download?
Is it like Torrent? Or is it more like Ninite?
>>
>>57736699
>>57736720
Oh, ok, so it's Torrents?
Alright
>>
>>57736692
Of course, num is defined as
int num = 10;

So to repeat:
   int *foo;
foo = (int *)num;

printf("%d", foo);
>>
>>57734284
What laptop are you looking at?
>>
File: rIrfbyt.png (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rIrfbyt.png
151KB, 1920x1080px
Red or Brown Cherry MX keys for babby's first mech keyboard? Used for an equal mix of gaming and typing.

thanks fellas
>>
>>57736704
Neither my school nor my uni has that, since for them it's apparently enough to have it on the school computers

>>57736720
Yes they're torrent links repositories
>>
>>57736765
Well, since *foo is a pointer, you can't just printf() it normally, you need to dereference the pointer.

I think
printf("%d", *foo);

or
printf("%d", &foo);

I may be wrong, but try them.
>>
File: ssd.png (239KB, 1136x509px) Image search: [Google]
ssd.png
239KB, 1136x509px
Will a samsung 850 EVO fit on a Corsair Mounting Bracket kit? I know the kit fits 2.5, but will I need to buy anything else besides the kit? I cant decide if I need a mounting bracket kit, or a mounting bracket bundle. I dont get the difference

Whats the difference between left and right? will the 850 Evo fit both?
>>
>>57736843
>will the 850 Evo fit both
yes

and even if it didn't you could just duct tape the drive in the case.
>>
>>57736839
But I am casting num as a pointer:
(int *)num;

That works though.
>>
>>57736843
As long as it's 2.5", it's fine.

BTW, what do other countries call that?
Do they use 50.8 cm drives??
>>
>>57736865
Will the Evo come w/ all the necessary wires to actually connect the SSD to my computer? I built my own PC so I've done it before, its just been a while and I cant remember if it came w/ all the right stuff. Buying it off Amazon
>>
>>57736875
>But I am casting num as a pointer:
Yeah, but it was a POINTER to an integer, not an integer itself.

>That works though.
Which one? The & or the *?

Haven't used pointers in a while, since I've mostly been doing fucking Excel macro apps and web lately.

Just wanna refresh my memory
>>
>>57736911
int num = 10;

int *foo;
foo = (int *)num;

printf("%d", foo);

The above code works because I cast num as a pointer. Printf will print 10 here. But it's still wrong.
>>
>>57736950
or, hmmm...

Wait, then what are you trying to do?
>>
I have an integrated graphics card (i7). Can it handle a FullHD 27" monitor?
>>
>>57736979
I'm just asking why it is wrong. The compiler spits a warning that they aren't of the same size. But a pointer and int are of the same size.
>>
>>57737013
Oh, well... huh...
I really don't know then, sorry. I need to get back into C/++.

Ask /dpt/
>>
Let's say hypothetically I wanted to fundraise money for a trip somewhere or a new computer. Which site would be the best for this? I'm talking about sites like Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Patreon, etc.

I'm not actually going to do this. I just wanted an opinion on it for other reasons.
>>
we have a Daily Programming Thread
>>>/dpt/
>>
>>57737065
Thanks anyway.
>>
>>57737086
you shame your family
>>>/g/dpt
>>
>>57736889
You'll need twelve meters of copper wire and run it around the disk to form the necessary shielding

And a sata cable.
>>
>>57737086
downboated
>>
What is the difference between 6500k and 6600k, which one is better for just gaymin and codin? Is there a big difference? Reposted from pcbg
>>
>>57736889
>Will the Evo come w/ all the necessary wires to actually connect the SSD to my computer?
No. The Evo 850 comes with nothing. It may include screws but that is it.
>>
Can I get a Soundbar with Bluetooth and use it like you would a portable speaker with my phone or do I have to connect it to something (TV, Blu-Ray)?
>>
My external HDD's dock gave out, so I decided to use it as a second internal; plugged it with a SATA cable directly to my mobo and it shows up in the BIOS. However, Windows tells me I have to format it in order to use it (different filesystems apparently). Is there any way to avoid formatting? Or is it just easier to buy a chink SATA-USB cable?
>>
Suppose I need the product key for OS that is usually found at the bottom of the notebook. Lets assume it was worn out by time and is now pretty much unreadable. Lets also assume that it has been updated to Windows 10. Is there any place where I can find the product key?
>>
>>57737362
at your local computer software retailer
>>
>>57737362
You could try the notebook's box or the instruction manual (assuming you still have them). Otherwise, just pirate it m8.
>>
File: ada-dvi-vga-24+1[1].jpg (24KB, 699x525px) Image search: [Google]
ada-dvi-vga-24+1[1].jpg
24KB, 699x525px
Does a VGA to DVI-D adapter need to be active, or will passive adapters work?
I've owned and used pic related for VGA to DVI-I, but I don't know if there's something different about DVI-D that necessitates a different kind of adapter.
>>
>>57735623
Real fucking helpful response, you troglodyte.
>>
>>57736815
Blacks are excellent but can be tiresome to type on for prolonged periods of time. Avoid clicky keys, they're fucking awful in the long run.
>>
I'm in EE atm but I'm unspecialised and I want a taste of what I'll be doing if I specialise in CE.
How should I go about learning the programming relevant to CE? Any books?
Shit like programming microcontrollers?
>>
>>57737530
active

DVD-D = digital only
DVI-A = analog (VGA) only
DVI-I = both digital and analog
>>
>>57737647
I'm in 4th year EE (electronics) and I can tell you we have courses in
>C
>C++
>VHDL
>Assembly (fuck that one)
>Mathlab
>>
Would anybody know/remember the name of that Firefox build made by some jap that was compiled for SSE extensions or whatever? Found it on /g/ originally, but now I want to download it again, don't remember the name and can't cant find it.
>>
>>57737729
What did you use those languages for though? I've learnt those languages but aside from VHDL(we used verilog) we didn't go beyond standard programming exercises. What I'm interested in is getting the feel/understanding very low level barebones stuff. Would one of those raspberry pi-esque devices be good for this?
>>
How many network connections can a smartphone utilize? In uT, I normally run 70 per from my desk. As I understand it, the hardware in phones don't actually compare. Any thoughts?
>>
How do I find circuit board diagrams/wiring diagrams?

V000240480 im after a diagram of this board..
>>
>>57733721
Should I get the HAF 912 or the Masterbox 5?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-912-RC-912-KKN1-GP/dp/B003ZM7YTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480363899&sr=8-1&keywords=half+912

https://www.amazon.com/MasterBox-Mid-tower-Computer-Internal-Configuration/dp/B01HDUVOGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480363925&sr=8-1&keywords=masterbox+5
>>
I currently got a Pi3 as media center with Kodi. I also need to get a NAS. The problem with the Pi is that it can't play 10-bit anime properly. So I was thinking about building something fairly cheap that could be both media center + NAS (with sharing to windows pc) + play 10-bit anime.

Also got some suggestions for HP Microserver instead of Synology. Seems like a good opton, it's 25% off right now as well.
>>
I bought a new monitor today and sometimes it like turns off/restarts for like 3 seconds, basically turns black and I think the activity led turns off for that moment
It's connected through DVI, because there wasn't a DP cable with it, I will buy it in upcoming days, could that be the problem or what ?
>>
>>57738071
Mostly programming on FPGAs with VHDL, the others were simply theoretical and for learning
Yeah we're using digilent artix cards here but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives
>>
got some WD Green in a raid array, can't find some other nearby. Can buy Red one.
will they match once stacked into ?
>>
>>57738282
A corsair 200r or C70.
>>
>>57736659
MSToolkit.

Look for it in Myidigitallifeforums.

I would post it but you have to wait, im busy.
>>
File: 1361200003044.png (2MB, 1272x662px) Image search: [Google]
1361200003044.png
2MB, 1272x662px
>>57733721
Has anyone encountered a spambot on Kik that just constantly sends single messages of "T" then signs out before you can respond?
>>
>>57737362
I'm curious about why you need the old key
>>
File: 4155565-cool-guy-with-glasses.jpg (60KB, 535x800px) Image search: [Google]
4155565-cool-guy-with-glasses.jpg
60KB, 535x800px
I want to sell my processor.
How do I ship an AMD processor?
>>
>>57734514
So, should i get the first one or the second one?

Bump i guess for the main question.
>>
>Trusted Platform Module(TPM)
Is this botnet?
Is this good or bad?
>>
>find the monitor I want
>hold out through Black November
>hold out through Black Friday
>hold out through Small Business Saturday
>hold out through Black Friday 2: Electric Boogaloo
>hold out through Cyber Monday
>price hasn't changed a penny

So should I just buy it, since it's clearly not going on sale?
>>
>>57739184
I mean unless you want to wait until the after Christmas sales to be 100% sure now would be the time to give in and buy it.
>>
Is it possible to run a seed server in this day and age and not face legal issues?

Just for the sake of sharing old shitty animus and films, someone out there may still wish to see.
>>
Is the surface pro 3 better than the 4?
>>
>>57739184
If repeating digits, you buy.
>>
>>57739184
Monitors never drop in price except high end ones.
>>
>>57733721
Is it actually that big a problem if an SSD handles temp files?
>>
>>57739300
depends on where you live
>>
>>57739549
Oh no, they definitely drop in price.
The same model I was looking at, except the 27" version (I'm looking at the 25"), dropped $150 for Cyber Monday.
>>
File: Barneymandela.jpg (93KB, 343x450px) Image search: [Google]
Barneymandela.jpg
93KB, 343x450px
>>57734727
pls someone help. Ive tried every variation of this I can think of.

var link = casper.evaluate(function() {
return document.getElementById("createNewAccount");
});
link.click();

Doesnt work, including if I replace casper with this.

If I put it in a function and then try to feed it to evaluate it doesnt work. If I try and get the .href and casper.thenOpen(url) it doesnt work.

Im at a complete loss here and there has to be something stupid and obvious that Im missing but I dont know what.
>>
>>57739553
No.
Current gern SSD's are way more durable then earlier versions.
Most drives support over a PB of data before it shows performance issues
>>
How do I into programming
>>
Can I use the installed windos 10 on my SSD on my current PC on a newly built PC or do I actually have to buy that shit?
>>
hi guys, im practically retarded when it comes to this shit, but i want to download ableton and i have no idea how torrenting works. where do i start?
>>
I've got a CPU and mobo, and one of them is fucked up enough to make a computer just halt for long periods of time (double-digit seconds). I've already replaced them for my main rig, but since the CPU is an i5-2500k I'd really like to confirm if it's ok and use it in something else. Is there a low-cost way to do this that doesn't involve buying a new motherboard and running it until it possibly crashes? Like is there a way to test the mobo, specifically?
>>
I'm using Firefox on Arch Linux with DWM. I need to disable double clicking in the tab bar opening a new tab. How do I do this without installing any add-ons?
>>
>>57739726
If the parts are literally the same, probably.

Otherwise yes but you will have to reinstall windows.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-28+at+09.55.54).png (35KB, 606x205px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-28+at+09.55.54).png
35KB, 606x205px
But there is no /var/www directory ;__;
>>
>>57739731
Are you sure is not the HDD? because it sounds like it.
>>
>>57739790
>the parts are literally the same

Well shit. Fucking windows charging 100 bucks for something they gave up for free for the longest time.
>>
>>57734659
Use YUMI to create a multi boot. You can even download some rescue disks from the program. Most distros have an antivirus. Depends if you are comfortable with command line/ text only or if you want a gui.
Most antivirus programs have a bootable live disk version, so its really up to your preference
>>
File: wweez.jpg (64KB, 500x821px) Image search: [Google]
wweez.jpg
64KB, 500x821px
I need a laptop and am willing to spend anywhere from 400 to 650 dollars on it. The most intensive game I will ever want to play is modded Fallout New Vegas, besides that I will only ever want to play tf2 sometimes and I like that with shit graphics.
So any recommendations. With the laptops now 7 years older than the only game I want to play I figure I can get a cheap one and still run it fine
Was thinking about this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
256 gb ssd with i5 and 8 gigs of ram
Don't need a lot of space or anything and I have external harddrives. Would this run the game on decent settings?
And other recs please
>>
>>57739832
That is why you dont buy windows and crack it.

The only situation where you must have to buy it is in business situations, otherwise there is no reason to do it since there are no downsides.

The key you use will be linked to the motherboard you installed it on, OEM cant be reused, but VL(Volume license) (If you bought it) can be reinstalled on multiple computers.
>>
>>57739846
Your IGPU is as strong as your GPU.
But yes, it should be enough.

Dont rely on that SSD though.
>>
>>57739731
Rescue disk like Hirens Boot CD should have diagnostic tools. Check your hard disk first though.
>>
>>57739821

I haven't had any issues over the past year after replacing both. So it must be one of the two.
>>
File: 1480370748175.jpg (533KB, 810x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1480370748175.jpg
533KB, 810x1095px
Can I put this on computer fan bearings? It says "household oil without resin or acid".
>>
File: pMHIbCU.mp4.webm (221KB, 508x602px) Image search: [Google]
pMHIbCU.mp4.webm
221KB, 508x602px
gmail
imap
- thunderbird desktop client
- mail app on phone

is it possible to exclude somehow future mails from some source from mobile phone, but keep them going on desktop?

I like to browse from time to time massdrop offerings and some audio shops stuff.
But I hate receiving them on my phone
>>
>>57739924
What's up with the ssd? Not enough space or it's not that fast. My computer now has no ssd but I've just heard it's decently faster than a HD

No idea what you mean by igpu either, I'll try to look it up some more
>>
>>57739821
>>57739946

I guess it wasn't clear: I've replaced both, and have no issues anymore. I'm simply hoping i can salvage whichever part works for a future build, and therefor need a way to determine which is working reliably.
>>
>>57739972
set up a filter that moves them to a separate folder, then don't sync that folder on your phone.
requires thunderbird to be open all the time. idk about you, but my mail client is almost always open on desktop whether I'm home or not.
>>
>>57739868
>crack it

Since I'm not familiar with that stuff I'd rather buy out of fear of ruining my new PC with some virus or shit.
>>
>>57739979
IGPU = Graphics that come built in in your CPU or motherboard, in this case Intel HD Graphics 530.

GPU= dedicated card for graphics which is the GTX 940M.

SSDs are superior than HDDs but not all of them are reliable, some can go bad really fast but most of them will last a long time with some amazing perfomance.
In this case it mentions 256GB SSD, but not which one or brand.
>>
I added color scripts and what is this now

sudo: pacman: command not found

can't do anything
>>
>>57740004
nope I turn off my home PC when not at home
>>
>>57739713
pick a language and start learning

>>57739753
>I need to disable double clicking in the tab bar opening a new tab
double clicking the tab bar does nothing for me

>>57740024
what exactly did you do?
>>
>>57740022
Thanks for the help. A review says that it's a samsung m.2 ssd.
>>
>>57740072
Added a color script folder. Then later when I would go to update pacman script would pop up and now nothing works
>>
>>57740096
so you added a folder.
where?
what commands did you run?
whats inside the folder?
>>
>>57740122
to /bin/ so I could run the scripts in terminal.

I put the files sep in /b/ and not in folder
>>
>>57740072
>pick a language and start learning
I tried that, but every tutorial is outdated and leads to failure at some point
Most often right on the first tutorial
>>
File: ThinkPad-P70-hero.png (89KB, 725x515px) Image search: [Google]
ThinkPad-P70-hero.png
89KB, 725x515px
Is there a decent Thinkpad that I can get for under $600 for my brother to take to college? Want it to last a few years but I guess it doesn't have to be thinkpad, he takes care of things pretty well.
Figure today would be the best day to look for one.
>>
Is there a reliable site that's as good as newegg in terms of selection and price that isn't sold out of fucking everything that I'm trying to buy right now?
>>
is this a good internal HDD? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UM4MW8906&cm_re=2tb_internal-_-9SIA4UM4MW8906-_-Product
>>
>>57740167
which language did you try?

>>57740162
>to /bin/
thats almost always a bad idea
here is a guide that explains how to recover from a broke pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Manually_reinstalling_pacman

also here are som things ou could have done instad of putting everything into /bin:

1. link your stuff to /usr/local/bin
2. write aliases (or functions)
3. put the folder into your PATH
>>
>>57740252
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Manually_reinstalling_pacman
Yeah it's a weird situation. pamac still works which uses pacman...but not in terminal
>>
>>57733721
so me and about 20 people are working on a sensitive project so I'm wondering is the best idea to setup an IRC server, configure IRC bouncers for users (or can I make server give the users scrollback in channels when they join) and the users using FiSHLiM unless I can make the server do the encrypting...? any help would be nice
>>
>>57740252
I tried Python, Java and C#
Failed on Hello World with every language since every tutorial results in a syntax error
>>
>>57740383
did you try the "official" tutorial for java?
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
>>
>>57740252
Now screenfetch says I have zero packages and archey won't even work

the fuck
>>
>>57740425
if pamac works use it to reinstall pacman.
>>
>>57740417
yup
Maybe /g/od just hates me and doesn't want me to make it
>>
>>57740433
Has a lock on it. Won't let you.Tried =(

JUST
>>
File: QuvshtF.jpg (48KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
QuvshtF.jpg
48KB, 600x607px
>>57739846
If anyone wants to answer:
Is there a big difference between an i5 and an i7 processor in this type of computer:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-Laptop-Windows/dp/B01F1Z78GM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
It is $120 more with i7 and I read conflicting things about how much the i7 will actually speed things up. Again I really only want to play modded New Vegas at a decent frame rate
>>
how to become a computer programmer? 22 and need a career edition
>>
>>57740208
T420
>>
>>57740457
Are you going to render?
If yes, then the I7 will be useful.

You only will play games and use the computer normally?
Then the I7 is useless for you.

Its not worth the $150 extra.

For that you are better getting a lenovo P50 Y70.
>>
>>57740457
>I really only want to play modded New Vegas at a decent frame rate
Then just buy an i5
i7 is for when you want to render 4 instances of porn at 8k at the same time
Gaming does not benefit much from an i7
>>
>>57740516
thanks a bunch. Though all that porn does sound intriguing...
>>
>>57740440
grab an arch installation medium, mount your root (eg. mount /dev/sdxi /mnt) and run pacman with
pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -Syyu

to sync the package database and
pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -S pacman

to reinstall pacman
>>
>>57740538
Anon for what you want a computer even a cheap $180 PC can do it but there is nothing wrong with buying a new PC.

If you want to spend $700 on a laptop you are better building a desktop.
>>
>>57740549
Is it possible to just get the actual file or script from a person and place back into /bin/
>>
>>57740538
Seriously though, an i7 should only be bought if you make videos, movies, 3d renders or anything that really requires the cpu to calculate like a math professor on three kilos of meth
I see way too many retards go "durr i got i7 y dose my game run like shit :(((" because they don't understand what a cpu actually does and a wrong choice of cpu can actually hamper the performance of the gpu as well.
>>
>>57740556
Please please give me some recommendations or sites to go to. I want to spend fewer than 500 bucks and as long as I can run new vegas with mods, a decent frame rate and short loading times I don't care what else it comes with.
Any help would be much appreciated. Right now I'm looking at a 480 dollar laptop but would be happy paying less for the same performance.
A laptop would be more convenient but I could do a pc.
>>57740621
Thank you very much. I hear the same thing and just assumed it was better for every function of a comp
>>
>>57740610
post output of
find /bin/ -type f -regex .*pacm.*
>>
>>57740653
Yours is ok for what you are paying.
After all you are going to only play old games.
>>
File: 35n58hl.jpg (176KB, 700x579px) Image search: [Google]
35n58hl.jpg
176KB, 700x579px
>>57740549
I fixed !

Luckily I had pamac installed so I was able to re-installed even though I got an error but now it's back. phew. that was a wild one. haven't had a issue in ages but that was all my bad.

thanks for help anon
>>
>>57740798
heres an explanation why pamac worked without pacman:
pamac actually is not jsut a frontend for pacman but a frontend for libalpm, the library pacamn uses.
>>
>>57740860
Yeah I lucked out. I just downloaded the tar form arch mirror and went to open/install with pamac. I got an error but it still worked.

Really wasn't in the mood for a reinstall since I haven't done on in ages.
>>
>>57738347
bump
>>
I want a windows .bat script that will run
shitty.exe foo.bar foo.baz

for each *.bar in a folder. How do I make this happen?
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-28+at+11.23.55).png (13KB, 426x173px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-28+at+11.23.55).png
13KB, 426x173px
Anyone know why this is happening?
>>
>>57741247
Because there are no free sectors available.
>>
>>57741282
:)
>>
>>57733756
Can someone help me here?
>>
File: jews.png (12KB, 335x113px) Image search: [Google]
jews.png
12KB, 335x113px
Why is SoundBlaster a thing and why the fuck isn't my computer playing any sound
>>
I know this isn't the place but nvm.

Am I able to buy csgo from G2A now that you cant send it as a gift?
>>
Anyone here ever used a 15.6 laptop on a 17.3" backpack? How's the experience? I dun goofed during black friday.

>>57733728
Honeyview is GOAT.
>>
Looking to upgrade my build with a GTX 1070, but am unsure of what kind I should get. I won't be doing any overclocking. I'm thinking about either the EVGA SC or the Gigabyte G1.

I'm going to be doing 1080p gaming on a 60hz monitor but might upgrade in the future. Also not sure if my case has enough room for a 1070 but I'm like 95% sure it does.

Please help me decide and tell me why you think certain cards are better. I'm at a complete loss.

My current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ACuteLoli/saved/jjPnQ7
>>
I have the next error on BASIC on the Macro on LibreOffice Calc:
REM  *****  BASIC  *****

Sub CallAverage
Dim oSheet, oRange, oCell, nResult, oFuncAcc
oSheet = ThisComponent.CurrentController.ActiveSheet
oRange = oSheet.getCellRangeByName("G31:G42")
oCell = oSheet.getCellRangeByName("H45")
oFuncAcc = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.sheet.FunctionAccess")
nResult = oFuncAcc.callFunction("Average", Array(oRange))
oCell.setValue(nResult)
End Sub
-----
BASIC runtime error.
Property or method not found: ActiveSheet.
>>
File: 41y6hBDC47L.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41y6hBDC47L.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
Future Setup:
2x 2TB HDD RAID 0
Partition: 0.5TB/remainder
1x 750GB swap HDD
Partition: 32/500GB/remainder
1x 128GB SSD
OS Install Drive

My question is, can I make the 500GB partitions on both the swap and 4TB raid drives mirror each other? I'm trying to create a makeshift Raid 10 setup. The other 3.5TB would be for games or other crap I wouldn't miss if a drive failed. Pic related is what I plan to use for the raid 0 setup.
>>
When a laptop screen turns black and white means that the cable is loose right?
>>
Is dogecoin still relevant ?
What are the go to crypto currencies other than bitcoin right now.
>>
what size swap partition on ext-sd for phone with 1gb RAM?

sd card shows ~20 MB/s rw speeds
>>
>>57741857
This is the most retarded setup i have ever seen
What the fuck is your use case
>>
>>57742016
I have a limited budget and I think the 500GB would be more than enough to cover my personal documents. I'm also limited to a micro-atx case so unless I do a full rebuild I couldn't rock a raid 10 even if I wanted. Not enough space.
>>
File: 1920_1080_20130110065125550366.jpg (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1920_1080_20130110065125550366.jpg
201KB, 1920x1080px
Lazily looking for a new laptop. What difference is there between Intel and AMD? Never fully understood that.

Windows install will be wiped for Linux, going to do video, photo, graphic work on it. Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who does it in Linux.

>who is she
Don't know. I grabbed it from a search for 예쁜여자.
>>
>>57742171
Intel is superior to AMD.

Power, Efficiency(uses less energy), Quality and reliability(AMD runs hot as fuck) and other stuff.
AMD good points are better IGPU but thats it.

In simple words get a Intel CPU and avoid HP laptops.
>>
How are the sata ports that the power SATA slot is half size than it should be?
Would one supply enough power for a SSD?
>>
File: putty.png (50KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
putty.png
50KB, 256x256px
Why would PuTTY disconnect port forwarding rules after a while?

I connect to my SSH server, and remote port forward some ports just fine. Later on, everything is "reported" to be working fine as PuTTY says it's connected and forwarding the ports, but I can see the ports aren't forwarded on the SSH server after a while.

What gives?
>>
>>57733721
Is that Rebel Wilson as a kid?
>>
using pc half the day no problem. had to take care of errand let it on sleep mode. come back and pc turns off from 1 second powerstart. take out gpus same thing not sure if psu or mobo issue.
>>
>>57742412
wat
>>
File: DVD-Slim-SATA-Back.jpg (30KB, 600x203px) Image search: [Google]
DVD-Slim-SATA-Back.jpg
30KB, 600x203px
>>57742642
Some DVD drives use a smaller version of SATA, not the full size one.
I was wondering if it would be good enough to power a SSD.
>>
So I've decided to make some malware in python (for educational purposes, not for shithead reasons) here's what I plan on doing, feel free to add to the list
>ransomware (encrypts documents, pictures, downloads, desktop and sends the decryption key to me)
>botnet
>keylogger
>File wiper (deletes files randomly and runs at startup)
>adware
>script to download and execute other scripts
as I said before if you think of anything I could add please tell me

the problem is before even writing any code I've thought of a few problems
1) if I make the ransomware email me the randomly generated key whats to stop the user opening it with notepad, seeing the email credentials, logging in and looking in the sentbox for the key? the only thing I could think of doing is compiling the python file into an exe
2) if I rent 12 VPSs and have one as a CNC server, 10 as zombies and one as the target - would this get me in trouble? I mean I'm renting the hardware so I should be able to do this right? also would 10 zombies be enough to take down 1 VPS or 1 home connection (got a friend who would be willing)
>>
>>57742668
Sata standard has been the same for over a decade. The smaller one is the data transport while the larger one is power,it has been this way since the standard was introduced.

It is a universal port.
>>
>>57742692
But in laptops you can see Both of them.
Usually the SATA power slot is way smaller than the normal one HDDs use.
>>
Should I ask questions about gaming headsets in HPG or is there somewhere more appropriate?
>>
>>57742709
Do you not understand what a universal standard is?
Small is data
Large is power
Unless you mean a molex instead of sata power, but thats died out the past decade.
>>
>>57742743
I found what i was looking for, apparently its called slimline SATA.
>>
File: 78641fc978.jpg (246KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
78641fc978.jpg
246KB, 1920x1200px
>>57742222
ok. will keep that in mind.

Now to decide if I stick with Lenovo despite the issues I had with my refurb, or try another brand. Shop online, or see what's available at Best Office Buymax Depot. And what's up with the lamp in this photo.
>>
How do I reseat my cpu cooler i I don't own thermal paste?

I don't even know what my cpu cooler really is desu, just trying to not have my i5-4670k run at 98 degrees idle.
>>
>>57742852
>98°C
Either calm down on the overclocking or your HSF is kill you need to replace it.
>>
>>57742716
/hpg/ is going to take the piss out of you if you ask them about gaymur shits. In general:

1. Buy the one that you like the look best/is cheapest. Gaming headsets are all overpriced chinkshits anyway.

2. Or get a nice chink set (Superlux/Takstar/etc..) and add a mic. The original HyperX cloud was a rebranded Takstar with a mic after all, and it costed 3 times as much

>>57742852
Buy a tube of thermal paste and repaste the CPU. Seems like the old one is dried out beyond repair. The stock intel cooler is shit but not that shit. Or you can get an aftermarket cooler and it'll come with a tube.
>>
File: girlswhoworkatgoogle.jpg (55KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
girlswhoworkatgoogle.jpg
55KB, 610x407px
>>57742824
>>57742222
Also remember that Intel is more complicated.
>>
>>57742962
Not him but what do you mean.
Bait post?
>>
Simple batch script isn't working, but copying and pasting it into CMD works fine.

set /p variable=<"E:\path to file\temp.txt"
echo %variable%
>>
File: 1460670402130.png (326KB, 445x340px) Image search: [Google]
1460670402130.png
326KB, 445x340px
I just recently got slapped with some warnings from my internet provider because I got got torrenting like a dumbass. What are some tips to prevent this? Like what are really good, cheap VPNs I could use. Or what are just some general tips?

>inb4 "don't pirate"
>>
>>57742967
well bait comes in all nationalities, probably...
but the ones that work at intel in america are all american
its complicated
>>
>>57737159
Bimp
>>
>>57737159
There is no such thing as I5-6500K.

Only I5-6500 and I5-6600K.

You cant overclock a I5-6500 but you can a I5-6600K, but you also need a Z170 motherboard and I5-6600K doesnt come with a HSF.
>>
>>57743165
>good, cheap
Pick one.
>>
>>57733721
Does the circuitboard color under a hard drive mean anything?
>>
File: 1479868258336.gif (2MB, 250x277px) Image search: [Google]
1479868258336.gif
2MB, 250x277px
>>57743165
How much were you torrenting? What ISP? I need to know for research purposes. Thank you.
>>
>>57743318
Well fine, good then
>>
>>57743403
nordvpn
>>
>>57738929
Buy a bubblemailer at the dollar store
>>57739972
create a filter that puts them in a different folder
>>57740463
Community college
>>57741371
You can do a few things. Restore your computer to a backup registry. Re-install your sound drivers. Or try a program like tweaking windows if it's a hardware issue.
>>57741970
ask /biz/
>>57742609
Unplug the cable and press the power button a few times. This will drain the computer of it's electricity, and then reboot.
>>
File: netstat visual.png (65KB, 960x719px) Image search: [Google]
netstat visual.png
65KB, 960x719px
Is there a freeware/open source program that does the same as pic related?
>>
I want to buy this monitor for my mom because she's been asking for a new one. She mostly wants to do stuff like photoshop, photo editing, and movies. Art stuff too, so I think color accuracy is the most important thing she needs.

I'm looking at this which on "sale" for Cyber Monday. Is it shit? Worth buying? Any better suggestions or deals that would fit what I'm looking for? Thanks guys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260488&ignorebbr=1
>>
>>57733721

anybody knows a firewall program that works instantly?

i mean, i have a program running and i want to instantly cut its internet connection without closing it
>>
found some thermal paste in the box of my old fan

how much of this shit do i put on my heatsink

and do i spread it around or just smush it onto my processor? it's a circlular heatsink if it matters, stock fan that comes with i5-4670k
>>
Why is it that my internet is shit and struggles to stream 720p content at times, yet I can turn on a TV and have 1080p+ content broadcasted directly to the TV with no delay?

If it's transferring that much data wouldn't it be a feasible way of transferring data in order to connect to the internet?
>>
File: 1434170712953.gif (2MB, 350x246px) Image search: [Google]
1434170712953.gif
2MB, 350x246px
>>57733721
So if a phone gets dropped and the screen shows only black with the backlight on and you can still hear everything working when you press buttons and even touch the screen, it's just a matter of replacing the screen right? Don't wanna get a replacement screen only to see that it didn't fix it.
>>
/wdg/ isn't responding.

I've already gone through all of the material in the webdev post having anything to do with HTML and CSS. What I need, specifically, is like, example projects to do that it'll ask me to make. Basically, homework, minus college. Do I need to find a textbook? Problem with those is, it won't be able to tell me what's wrong with my code, at best it'd have pictures of what the result should look like. Unless if it has solutions in the back listing the code? I ask for this because the problem with the free sites is, they show you how to do it, maybe review once, and that's it, you never actually make anything using everything they've taught you.

I need help, lads.
>>
Java Swing question.

Is there a way to dynamically change the maximum value of a JSlider as I resize the window?
I need the slider for coordinates and if I resize the frame and all the components push & grow, the slider's max value will be the same so it will not be accurate any longer
>>
How well raspberry Pi handles 10 bit anime?
And h.265?
>>
>>57736659
Bro, this copy worked just fine for me and I didn't even need to activate it:

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6084055/MICROSOFT_OFFICE_2010_WORD_X64_[thethingy]_

Have fun
>>
Is it safe to download a programming ebook pack from TPB with no vpn?
>>
>>57744440
Daiz i summon you out /a/.
How true is this?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50325

Summon ritual(i hope your program tracks /g/ too)
Fakku
H.264
H.265
10-bit color
Nyaatorrents
Crunchyroll
Sadpanda
Jacob
Fakku sucks
Fakku Torrent leak link
Hi10p
Coalgirls
Underwater
Bald

And i dont remember the rest.
>>
>>57744226
You are probably protected under warranty. Just send it to the manufacturer, and pay the $60 service fee.
>inb4 No, thank you. I'm an enlightened NEET with no money.
>>
>>57744440
I have an Orange Pi Plus 2 (the top end model), and 1080p 8 bit high bitrate (Reinforce Raw) file still choke it up occasionally despite having hardware decoding. Even if it has better optimization, I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi has less raw power, and that's what needed for 10 bit.

The new Xiaomi TV box does 10 bit perfectly though according to some reviews, but its cost ~60 USD or so.
>>
>>57744562
I'm pretty sure the move to hi10p was to cut down file size, rather than any noticeable quality increase
>>
>>57737009
Mine did just fine, and I only have an i5-6600K, and my monitor is a 29" ultrawide.
>>
If I take out the optical drive from my laptop will I get more battery life? Does it even use power when not in use?
>>
>>57739729
Download BitTorrent. Visit thepiratebay, kickass torrents, or any other torrent side. When you visit the site, find the file you want. In Piratebay it has a magnet link (that's what I use) that automatically opens your torrent client and asks for permission to begin downloading. Wait until it says completed, stop and remove the torrent, and look in your Downloads file (the default place torrents download to). Move it to the file you want it in, and bam, you're a filthy pirate.
>>
What's a good laptop for a grad student under $1k ?
>>
>>57744733
Thinkpad
>>
>>57743340
No.
>>
>>57738929
Find the original packaging, should be an anti-static clamshell.
>>
How can I record the maximum temperatures my CPU reached with Speccy? I don't only want to know the temperature when I'm looking. If Speccy can't do that, are there alternatives?
>>
>>57740463
Look at everything in the wdg general thread for webdev. The two I've used so far are freecodecamp and Codecademy, there's also the odin project and treehouse. Start with HTML and CSS, then go from there. From what I've been told, ideal learning order is HTML>CSS>Javascript>jQuery (optional)>PHP>Python>Ruby>MySQL. The how to get started pastebin in wdg is also really good with a great youtube video about ideal learning order and another explaining JavaScript.
>>
Is there a single decent video editing app for android? one that actually has more than 4 features?
>>
>>57744767
Is this a meme?
>>
>>57744983
>android
>video editing
kek
>>
>>57745011
Meanwhile it is a meme thinkpads are great for it, specially because the price.
>>
anyone know the key command to minimize a window in Ubuntu?
>>
File: 6a.jpg (104KB, 1024x729px) Image search: [Google]
6a.jpg
104KB, 1024x729px
what is a good PSU for the following config:
Pentium G4400
12GB DDR4
ASUS H110-R
4 sata hard drives
Evga GTX 570 "HD"
>>
>>57744641
>CPU is S905
I can find an android box with the same CPU, would it be the same?(M4Q Pro)
>>
>>57745068
EVGA 500B or EVGA 650G2.
>>
>>57743416
Alright so I got it but now whenever I connect to a server I can't access the internet. How do you use NordVPN anyway?
>>
>>57745072
The one I'm talking about has the MT8693 (Mediatek), not the S905. Plus, performance varies depending on the manufacturer's optimization and software, so if I were to get one I'd probably stick with Xiaomi since they have a reputation instead of testing my luck and try and random brand to save a couple of bucks.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04/18/xiaomi-mi-box-3-enhanced-review/
>>
>>57743711

Bump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01717TLMM/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_16?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_r=8D685RX0D757R47M8FBN&pd_rd_w=FsU28&pd_rd_wg=ZZcTD&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=8D685RX0D757R47M8FBN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=d1591797-bbee-49d1-a691-7d51a1fd5dd8&pf_rd_i=14777268011&th=1

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260488
>>
>>57745158
I guess a downside would be that it doesnt have google play store.
>>
>>57734412
Chromebooks are nice. Good battery life, and can have linux on them.
>>
>>57745236
Its rootable, so you could probably install it manually by just copying everything out of a extracted compatible gapps. Maybe give it a few weeks, someone's bound to try it and report back
>>
>>57737009
Which gen? You'll do 1080 fine usually.
>>
>>57733721
I'm looking to build a new gaming PC in early 2017. Hopefully I'll get the parts before February/March.

Should I get a cheap Skylake processor and keep that timetable, or wait until Kaby Lake is available? In that same vein, if the processors come out in (say) January, how long until motherboards are available?
>>
Considering the ability to backup and easily migrate between machines, is there any reason not to use portable versions for as many programs as possible?
>>
php o asp.net? i have to choose one if i want to work
>>
>>57745390
compare the # of jobs, and pick the one with the most.

my bet is asp.net
>>
>>57743649
what, a software firewall on win xp?
get a Fortigate appliance
>>
>>57745454
or PfSense / Sophos UTM on ESXi metal
>>
File: iojiom.png (82KB, 785x478px) Image search: [Google]
iojiom.png
82KB, 785x478px
how do i remove all this? for the life of me I can't find it in settings
>>
>>57745487
Log out of your google account?
>>
>>57745487
Install uBlock Origin.
>>
>>57745515
doesn't fix it. I don't have it on chrome. only on FF

>>57745517
alrdy have it installed. think it's something on google's end
>>
>>57745535
Add more filters in the settings.
>>
How Netflix DRM works?
What stops me from recording the screen?
>>
>>57745647
>recording the screen
nothing i think, its mostly to prevent u from having a copy + sharing
>>
is there a program for windows that lets me see file and folder changes and compare it with earlier versions?
>>
>>57745454
a network activity visualiser in list form that can kill specific connections of a particular program without affecting the other connections of that same program.
>>
How old of a system do i need to avoid backdoor in hardware and software?
>>
need to yet again delouse a retards win10 shitbox. this time its chrome opening new (wonderland com i think) tabs randomly during vidya or viewing of flash based tv series. checked chrome addons, processes, ran adwcleaner and some french shit that took 3h and scanned every fucking file on c and found a couple .sys viruses - still no dice.

so at this point i would just like to know how to find out what causes a new tab / link to open in chrome, because this smells of a dll hook to me.
>>
I can't wait for this thread to die so my question next thread gets more exposure :^()
>>
So my rx came with a 6 pin that splits to 2 6 pun female. I'm suppose to use this on the gpu right? Why not make the card come with two six pin female in the first place?
>>
What is the limit of USB 2.0 in MB/s?
>>
>>57742743
>>57742692
you're wrong, did you even look at the picture?
slim sata, as used in laptop optical drives, has a much smaller power connector, even smaller than the data connector

the data connector is normal size, however
>>
>>57745949
it's rated for 480Mb/s (60MB/s) raw bandwidth
>>
>>57745847
AMD Dash and Intel AMT
>>
I see that there is now NVMe SSD drives that can do 1 or 2 GB/s read times, especially the Samsungs and OCZs. I understand they use PCI express lanes etc..

What I do not get, is SATA 3 is rated at 6 GB/s. why do they not include this on the SATA drives? SATA SSDs only do 500 or 600 MB/s read/write. Yet the interface is rated at 6 GB/s?
>>
What do I need to know when buying a UPS?

They all have different VA values, what does that mean?
>>
>>57746364
sata3 is 6Gb/s (750MB/s)
>>
>>57746364
Because GB != Gb.

SATA 3 Limit is 6 Gigabits not Gigabytes.
6Gb= +-550MB.
>>
>>57745949
22mbps in windows
30 in linux
real world specs
>>
>>57746272
>>57746386
for these, keep in mind they are raw link limits, and don't account for protocol overhead
real world usage will see lower numbers
>>
File: Pop Memo_2016-11-17-11-50-12.png (41KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Pop Memo_2016-11-17-11-50-12.png
41KB, 720x1280px
>>57734412
I used a Chromebook throughout school, battery life trumps everything else.
>>
>>57746407
you can get over 40MB/s with usb2 (on linux at least)
mikurok@mikurok-main /media/sdg1-usb-Hitachi_HTS54502 % pv < St* > /dev/null 
^C36GiB 0:00:34 [42.2MiB/s] [==> ] 9% ETA 0:05:29
>>
Is there a website where i can pay someone to make software for me? Like 99designs for graphic design, basically like a board for little jobs.

I'd do it mysellf but I can't really code beyond some basic web stuff
>>
>>57736390
Pick up tower and shake the fuck out of it.
>>
Is ruby worth learning?
>>
>>57746819
meme languages don't age well

try learning one of the newer meme languages
>>
Should I major in mathematics or CS?
>>
>>57746874
electrical engineering
>>
where can I find windows iso's?

i need to make a usb boot drive with most of them in case i need to repair someones pc, I dont need the keys just the iso's
>>
>>57746951
https://winworldpc.com/library
>>
>>57746929
Why?
>>
>>57746985
cuz it's fun, pays well and people don't laugh when you tell them their major
>>
>>57747028
>their
your
>>
>>57746951
you can download win10 isos directly from microsoft
>>
>>57747028
Hmm alright
>>
File: Screenshot_20161129-010520.jpg (256KB, 1075x1015px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161129-010520.jpg
256KB, 1075x1015px
If I Were to buy this, I'd get an installation CD + a product key, right?
>>
>>57747260
not sure why you'd want that when you can pirate the OS
anyways, yes
>>
File: windows-10-professional-cd-key.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-professional-cd-key.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
What does Windows 10 Professional do that Windows 10 Home doesn't? Why is it worth $100 more? Is there any value in the additional features it offers?
>>
>>57747335
just fucking google it, jesus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Comparison_chart

>Why is it worth $100 more? Is there any value in the additional features it offers?
in any event just download the installer from microsoft, then use something like KMSpico to activate it. free windows. you can use the pro version, too. no worries
>>
what kind of monitor fits best for gaming purposes? i have been looking at BenQ 27" ZOWIE XL2720 but i don't really know anything about monitors

my budget is about 500€
>>
>>57747513
and what is on the professional list that the average PC user is likely to use?
>>
Would I encounter any problems at all by using a HDD through SATA -> USB ? Just bought a WD Blue to be used for a future build, but I want to use it to transfer data from my laptop for now. Any chance it could fuck up?
>>
My dear old Grandpa wants a smartphone for his birthday and I need it to be super ultra easy and intuitive to use.
But I can't decide between two options:

Should I buy a cheap ass IphoneSE and leave it to Apple in order to be easy and closed...

Or should I buy a normal android phone, root it and modify myself in order to be completely debloated and free of any form of adware and normal ad?

I can use Xposed and any useful app for this purpose, that means that I could actually give him an ad-free android with an easy-to-use loked down user interface (I was thinking of a de-bloated easy mode touchjizz, but, you know, touchjizz).

What would you do, /g/?
Thank you for your time.
>>
>>57742676
bump
>>
So I finally decided to switch from a root password to SSH keys, but now one thing I'm worried about is losing my key(soon to be keys) so what I was thinking of doing is making a script to encrypt them using RSA, then uploading them to a private github repo - this way I only have to worry about one key and I can just put that on a usb (more secure to have one private key on a usb than 10) how do you guys backup SSH keys?
>>
someone mek new bread pls
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNLJf8xzC4
Saw this and they didn't use mergesort or bucket. Can someone tell me how long this would take with both of those and show the math to calculate it? The question is to sort a case of 1280 books in alphabetical order
>>
>>57747696
does he rly want a smartphone or just any cell phone? because cell phones are just so much easier for old people ...

if smartphone, i'd definitely go with an iphone. buy an older one, a generation or two back, he won't need high performance. the locked down nature of the environment really reduces confusion and any chance of messing up your system.

only reason you should by a droid would be the larger screen. so if your gramps has really bad eye sight, consider that
>>
what's the best way to wipe a HDD?

I currently have an old PC with a 500gb HDD that I would like to put into my newer PC as a third storage drive, but it also has windows on it. I've backed up everything I want from it so i'm ok to wipe the whole thing.

Can I just put it straight into my new PC and wipe it on this (i'm worried it might have viruses on it though) or use some program to wipe (maybe from booting with USB drive?)
>>
>>57747894
>what's the best way to wipe a HDD?
with a cloth
>>
>>57747902
reeeee
>>
>>57747894
Hdparm, dd command, shred or DBAN. (Hdparm is the better option)
>>
>>57748182
dd bs=4M if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdX && dd bs=4M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

I think this works faster than shred's equivalent
>>
1980x1080 144hz or 3840x2160 60hz for gaming?
>>
New
>>57748020
new
>>57748020
>>
>>57748754
depends on the games you play
slow paced, MMO/grand strategy/RPG/etc? 2160p60 might be better
faced paced, FPS/RTS/rhythm/etc? 1080p144 might be better
>>
>>57748919
s/faced/fast/
>>
>>57745852
im a retard. it was a browser hijacking of the most retarded kind - some pos in program files took over chrome, didnt show up in processes but somehow modified chrome to be even more cancerous and open up that shitware constantly. overthinking is dumb, duh.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.