[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 23

File: Linux Torvalx.gif (72KB, 356x280px) Image search: [Google]
Linux Torvalx.gif
72KB, 356x280px
Previously: >>57590365

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>>/wg/6743571 - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers
>>
hey anyone have the ghost/ghoul bash script? thought i had it on my github but I guess I do not.
>>
File: vps-copy.png (578KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
vps-copy.png
578KB, 480x300px
Can anyone recommend a cheap VPS provider?
Some requirements:
>EU-based, Netherlands preferably
>4$ per month
>KVM

I've been with RamNode for a while and they're not too bad, but I think I can get a better deal elsewhere.
>>
>>57603136
250mb, the default size

I've never had an update that didn't cause it to run out of memory
>>
>>57603263
Create a function that upgrades and removed unused kernels.
>>
>>57603263
My /boot is using 47MB, what are you even doing?
>>
Im getting stutter and extremelly low OpenGL performance with cpu N3050
could i possibly do anything wrong with the intel hd graphics? it can barely run even modest OpenGL 3D applications like Urban Terror or Xonotic - both games at minimum settings run 30fps with stutter

ANY help is appreciated
>>
I need to buy a converter to attach my laptop to my tv via HDMI, I have a display port and a VGA, which would be better to use?
>>
Is there a nice cli program that makes reading system logs, dmesg, etc. a bit more convenient?
>>
>>57603208
why would you want a VPS based in a US satellite state?
>>
>>57603514
Because it's fast for me (even though I'm thousands of kilometers away) and it worked for me for years.
Germany is fine too.

Also, >>>/pol/
>>
>>57603552
So you don't care about US agencies potentially looking at what you do?

And what does my post have to do with a left wing board?
>>
>>57603453
DP
>>
>>57603608
Let's not start whatever you're trying to start here. I'm a simple man with a simple need: a VPS in Europe.

>And what does my post have to do with a left wing board?
You brought politics into a question that had no use for it, so I thought maybe you should check out this cool board that's all about politics.
>>
Does GPU Passthrough work with an integrated graphics card? I wanna install Linux on my laptop but I don't want to give up muh gaymen.
>>
>>57602862
>>57602862
>>57602862
>>57602862

Bump
>>
>>57603660
But I'm just asking why would anyone want a VPS based in an area where the US government has complete control? Surely you know what those guys are up to.
By the way, pick Netherlands over Germany if you absolutely have to choose between these two.
>You brought politics into a question that had no use for it, so I thought maybe you should check out this cool board that's all about politics.
Sadly there is no right wing political board here and I don't like to waste my time on left wingers.
>>
>>57603676
>muh
Try out Mac/Darwin
>>
>>57603458
what more than less you want? (no pun intended)
>>
>>57603676
You need two graphics cards in any case. One of them may be integrated.
>>
Noob here,please help!
Using Ubuntu and OpenVpn is leaking DNS.Thanks! :)
>>
File: 1467485047077.gif (1MB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
1467485047077.gif
1MB, 264x264px
Just found this in someones bashrc:
alias du='apt-get dist-upgrade'

Can we get a list of most retarded aliases please?
>>
>>57604233
alias ls='sl'
alias nop='wargames'
>>
which version of icecat do i download, and how do i make it work? where are the binaries that the webpage says there are? pls help i want to brwose free ;_;
>>
>>57604233
alias clr='clear'
>>
>>57604283
don't
download firefox instead
>>
>>57604283
icecat takes forever to apply security patches.
>>
>>57604334
vanilla FF is pretty much botnet, icecat is a good choice for people who don't want to study about:config
>>57604341
nice fud
>>
>>57604359
it isn't and you don't even understand what 'botnet' means
your retarded if you actually think this
don't use it though, i don't want your kind shitting it up
>>
>>57604283
nevermind i got it to work but how do i make it part of my little start bar like firefox is
>>
>>57604359
>vanilla FF is pretty much botnet
Sure thing anon
>icecat is a good choice for people who don't want to study about:config
It's good for people who don't understand the differences and want to believe they are getting something different, as seems to be the case with you.
>>
>>57604409
>>57604392
>>57604359
>>57604341
>>57604334
folks i only wanted it cause i thought the icon was qt pls calm down ;_;
>>
>>57603912
I guess passthrough isn't gonna work for me then.

Most games I play are indie games that would run on a literal toaster. Would there be a noticeable drop in performance if I use wine to play them?
>>
>>57604392
so then tell my why firefox sends webpage errors to google services, requests malware warnings from other pages, sends telemetry back home, heck it even allows websites reading out your battery status, etc? (see: https://gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5 for ex. if you want to disabled said stuff)
>>
>>57604445
i've tested for all of these things at it doesn't do that in my version. seems like your shit distro has added in something of its own
>>
>>57604445
>I still don't understand what botnet means
>>
>>57604359
Gentoo devs took it out of their repository because it was too insecure and hardly maintained to keep it. This was a few years ago now.
>>
>>57604436
nah you'll be fine sempai
>>
>>57604436
A few important points:
1) Either look for info in winehq.org AppDB or test games yourself, no other way to find out how things will run. You can find many very useful tips and per-application configurations in AppDB as well.

2) Even if the game could run on a toaster, it wouldn't work in Wine if your game uses DX12 or even DX11. There isn't sufficient support for either of them in Wine currently. DX11 may come in a year or two, but DX12 is a pipe dream at this point.

3) Dualbooting is an option. It sucks, but it's something.
>>
>>57604471
>i tested all of these things in <60 seconds
I dont use icecat, but after reading lots of stuff and tweaking my FF, I can understand people want to use icecat instead
>shitty distro
I guess arch doesn't fuck around with browsers

>>57604472
welcome to /g/, let me teach you the jargon:
botnet=(malware, spyware, proprietary, etc)
you're welcome

>>57604497
Gentoo is insecure itself. Took them 6 months to get around the ffmpeg exploit while Arch got in one day.
>>
>>57604648
>implying I haven't done that a long time ago
lol
Couldn't understand your second sentence but I don't use the piece of shit that is arch
>>
>>57604555
Well I'm retarded. I didn't even think to go to wine's website to check check for compatibility.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to avoid dual booting if I can, because It does suck,but that's probably what I'll end up doing.
>>
>>57604648
Glad you see you can't into greentext.
>>
File: 1463447992825.png (78KB, 696x475px) Image search: [Google]
1463447992825.png
78KB, 696x475px
Is there a linux alternative to conemu or at least something similar? ideally with some kind of syntax colouring feature

<pic related it´s conemu
>>
The official i3 install instructions are broken for Ubuntu

https://i3wm.org/docs/repositories.html

Should I just install whatever outdated crap is on the Ubuntu repo?
>>
File: linus.jpg (60KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
linus.jpg
60KB, 800x604px
>>
File: a.png (15KB, 568x405px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
15KB, 568x405px
>>57604823
most terminal emulators support multiple tabs, and you can use tmux to split things up further
>>
Is there a decent distro which comes with no inherent screen tearing?

Getting real tired of trying to set up xubuntu properly with nvidia settings and other shit like compton, nothing really works.
>>
>installed linux
So what's a good firewall? Even better if there's a list somewhere and i'll pick mine.
What does /fglt/ suggests?
>>
>>57605057
iptables is the only answer
>>
File: 1457290023723-2.png (287KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457290023723-2.png
287KB, 848x480px
How can i increase the existing ext4 partition size?

I used it for w7, but now i grown out all gaymur shit.
>>
>>57605140
just use gparted
>>
So, I want to use Manjaro for gaming.
Say, I want to play Dota and I'll do a clean install on my system, with the proprietary drivers. What else will I have to do?
>>
hey can i make a bootable usb on the NTFS filesystem from ubuntu?

i dont CARE if i have to install PROPIETARY software to do so.

i REALLY need to do it
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-20_16-22-26.png (63KB, 575x496px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-20_16-22-26.png
63KB, 575x496px
I set up two virtual machines using VirtualBox on Ubuntu. Both are CentOS7 minimal installations, both were connected to NATNetwork and Host-only adapter in VirtualBox's network settings, and both were enabled during the CentOS installation.

Now I'm getting this issue, any ideas?
>>
>>57605225
i dont know about dota since it uses source 2 but the source 1 games are a pain in the ass, shitty ports translating directx drawcalls. cant even do fullscreen properly.

general tip: use a light DE and disable steam overlay if you want a better framerate
>>
>>57605566
sudo dd bs=4M if=~/Downloads/ubuntu-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb; sync

The output of df will tell you which /dev/sd* it is.
>>
is there any distro pepes?
debian in particular if you dont mind
>>
Need some help. How do I go about installing this dependency?

https://git.enlightenment.org/core/emotion_generic_players.git/about/?h=emotion_generic_players-1.10
>>
>>57605956
vlc?
>>
>>57605954
No but you can get one by typing in terminal
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get install distropepesforgimp-2.3.16-stable
it will prompt the installation of a plugin for GIMP, then after it's done, reboot your system and type
>sudo gimp distropepesforgimp-2.3.16-stable
once it's open, don't use gimp for anything, and type again
>dpepe [distro] [h] -r [1 for perfect h:w ratio] -a [1 for alpha] -out [namefile with .gif or .png]
>>
>>57606014
It's a dependency called
emotion_generic_players
for
terminology
that I'm missing for neofetch to work. At least that's what the guy who wrote neofetch told me
>>
>>57606071
Distro?
>>
File: 2016-11-20-160456_648x442_scrot.png (43KB, 648x442px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-20-160456_648x442_scrot.png
43KB, 648x442px
>>57606079
Ubuntu 160.04. Here is my system info with the error I get. I'm being told this dependency will fix it
>>
>>57606089
https://launchpad.net/~enlightenment-git/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I would imagine this would be the best bet.
>>
>>57606089
Or for stable builds
https://www.enlightenment.org/distros/ubuntu-start
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I try to log in and right after I put in my password it'll spit this before taking me back to the log in screen. Distro is ubuntu 16.04. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>57606119
>>57606141
Didn't work. Can you help me install the one i linked instead? I don't know where to start
>>
>>57606225
What do you mean it didn't work? If it is a dependency of terminology then it will be in there?

Anyway, the link you posted has instructions.
>>
>>57606252
I found a package but it says it's for ALT Linux. Would downloading it be a problem?
>>
I'm having a problem where Ubuntu 16.04 is losing my preferred settings every time I shut my computer down, in particular the keyboard layout reverts to US instead of UK and the touch pad re-activate, both GUI and command prompt methods of changing them don't stay on restart

Also the OS partition constantly fills up with log files that can't be deleted from the GUI, that I have to manually remove from command line every month or so

Anyway to automate this?
>>
>>57606414
I have no idea what you are talking about.
If you want to download and compile it then you can do. Would it be a problem? Maybe, maybe not. Manually installing stuff can be. Use /usr/local/ as the prefix.
>>
>>57606445
Forgot to say that the time and other settings including BIOS password stay just fine so its definitely not the CMOS battery
>>
>>57606445
logrotate

What do the logs say? If if it producing that much log output you need to investigate why, that's not normal.
>>
>>57604555
Games requiring DX11 or higher won't run on toasters anyway.
Lots of games can still be run with DX9, and that's supported reasonably well.
>>
Can someone share the ghoul color bash script please?
>>
>>57606222
No one... ? Some more info is that if i enter recovery mode and then immidiately select the option to boot normally my second monitor is disabled and i can boot into everything just fine. Did an xrandr --query to find that my monitor wasn't being recognised then, even though when i don't go through recocery mode and boot normally my second monitor works but it won't let me log in.
>>
>>57606789
I'm assuming /dev/sda1 is your root, right?

Looks like your hard drive, or at least your root is fucked up, try going to get a live cd/usb and run chdsk
>>
>>57606222
>2.13MB picture
boy, some of us are Australian
>>
File: 1421280801317.jpg (23KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1421280801317.jpg
23KB, 447x444px
Recently installed debian onto a netbook and global commands like ifconfig dont seem to work everywhere. They only work if I go into the folder and directly call them.

Anyone know how to get this to work?
>>
>>57603114
So i have Windows 7 on one hard drive and Fedora 24 on the other. Now when i boot up my computer, it boot straight into windows or fedora - which ever i chose to boot first. So i was thinking, shouldn't grub 2 automatically be installed and just show up, when booting from any hard drive first?
>>
>>57606222
Your file system is probably corrupted. fsck it
>>
Is openbox still the best non tiling light wm? I like having floating windows for GUI stuff and I just use tmux for terminals
>>
>>57607027
What do you mean "whichever I chose to boot first"? you mean from the BIOS or where do you choose it from?
>>
>>57604293
ctrl+l
>>
>>57606976
>global commands like ifconfig dont seem to work everywhere. They only work if I go into the folder and directly call them.
Sounds like the directory where those commands are located are not in $PATH.

do
echo $PATH to check if the path to those files is present there
>>
How can I set up a key shortcut to open a directory of audio files in deadbeef (or any other program) in kde plasma?
>>
>>57607129
So if i choose fedora hard drive in the UEFI to boot first, it will boot into Fedora without asking me if i want to boot into windows.

If i choose to boot windows hard drive first, it will boot into windows, without asking if i want to boot into Fedora.
>>
>>57607027
If you have both OSes or separate drives the BIOS/UEFI (or in this case you) pick which harddrive is the boot device and which is the secondary drive.

The boot procedure simplified goes like this

BIOS >> find boot device >> boot bootloader on the chosen device >> bootloader boots the OS

Grub2 will ask you which OS you want to boot if you have two+ OSes on one boot device.
>>
>>57607136
That was it. Added sbin to the path and now its working. Many thanks.
>>
>>57607143
settings > keyboard > keyboard shortcuts

then look for in
man dolphin
for the proper command to open your file browser in your ~/Music or wherever you keep your audio in.
>>
>>57607165
Don't the UEFI have a grub or uefi-os option?

Check your grub config, you probably have to add a timeout to select the OS,
>>
>>57607181
That's the problem, both devices are on a separate drive, yet Fedora asks me what version of Fedora i want to boot into, but there is no Windows option.
>>
>>57607185
Bear in mind that /usr/sbin is not in regular user's $PATH by design and not by accident.

But if it's a single-user machine then proceed and don't worry, just saying
>>
>>57607217
Yeah i changed the grub-config to 4 seconds. Still didnt work.

I will check the UEFI now
>>
>>57607223
wait, so you CAN boot into grub, but windows doesn't show up in it? is that your problem?
>>
>>57607202
I would already be in the directory with music it in, I just want to select the directory and do the shortcut to add it to deadbeef.
I mean, I know how to create shortcuts but I don't know how to find out what I need to put to open the selection with the program I want it to open with. It seems to be no documentation. What options can I pass?
>>
>>57607223
>yet Fedora asks me what version of Fedora i want to boot into, but there is no Windows option.
That's GRUB asking you what version of Fedora you want to boot because Fedora is a distro with rapid release cycle and for safety of it's users keeps at least two versions of the Linux kernel at the same time so if shit goes wrong after a kernel update you can boot the previously working configuration and fix the problem.

>but there is no Windows option.
And there won't be, because in your configuration GRUB is a bootloader for Fedora and the bootloader for WIndows (MBR or whatever this shit is called) is on the other HDD/device.

If the GRUB menu bothers you and you want to hide it (not disable) refer to
https://jamielinux.com/blog/hide-grub-menu-on-fedora/
>>
>>57607246
Well sort of see
>>57607300
The GRUB for fedora does not bother me and is handy, it's just i want a windows option

>>57607246
I don't have a grub option on the uefi. I changed something to 3 seconds in the UEFI, probably the splash screen on startup.
>>
>>57607371
>i want a windows option
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Adding_Other_operating_systems_to_the_GRUB_2_menu

You have to add an entry where the boot device is the boot partition of your Windows drive.
>>
>>57607071
I did do that but it didn't help. Reinstalling now from a backup of my OS that i had kept. I've got 2 assignments' deadlines coming up in less than a week so i can't be bothered troubleshooting. Thank you, and anyone else, who ended up replying to me.
>>
>>57607300
>>57607371

grub should find windows regardless of it being in another disk, boot into fedora and run

Search for how to add an entry for grub in fedora
>>
>>57607434
>>57607479
I'm quite a noob and i am having trouble following this.... https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Multi_002dboot-manual-config

So it's asking me to make another partition and what do i put on it? It's just saying i need OS installer images... so i need to put a live OS on it, and then install Grub?
>>
>>57603114
/g/'s opinion on gnome?
>>
>>57607698
I don't like it
>>
>>57607698
they wuz kangz.

Now they're just niggers.
>>
>>57607666
read this satan https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/91102/windows-7-and-fedora-24-dual-boot-on-uefi-system-what-are-the-issues-here-where-is-it-documented/

GNU projects documentation is often really confusing, specially for new people
>>
>>57607698
>/g/'s opinion on _______________?
it's shit
>>
>>57607698
shite
>>
I need keylogger for Linux.
It should log all keypresses, do screenshots periodicaly and send me reports on mail or ftp. I dont need it to be stealthy (i need to watch what childs are doing on my computer, because im moving out to work for few months, childs stay with aunt, and she will not control what they are doing on net). Can somebody help ?
>>
irc channel?
>>
>>57607082
No its kwin. No screen tearing, smooth animation, great look. Install KDE Plasma, its so good.
>>
>>57608197
HAHAHAHA no
>>
>>57607698
Gnome 2 was god tier. Now that redhat has the gnome team by the balls, its turn into a over simplified, yet bloated, desktop enviroment only for degenerates you don't know anything about linux. Also its systemd dependent, which is completely unnecessary, and is only for the purpose to force the systemd/redhat botnet onto you.
>>
>>57608298
>not an argument
Explain?
>>
>>57608361
Everything you just said is wrong, screen tearing still happends on a lot of cases, there's also problems with the animation and the "great look" is really subjective, to me KDE doesn't look good at all, and no, not only on toasters.

and before you go full shill and ask for source on the problems, a quick search on your favourite engine should be enough.
>>
>>57608443
Screen tearing only happens on proprietary drivers where you cannot enable the opengl compositor, and have to use the Xrender one. With the opengl compositor on the latest amdgpu drivers, I have no screen tearing at all.

KDE 4 I agree looks like shit, but KDE 5 looks amazing, even KDE 4 could look good with some themeing.

Also I just wanted for you to provide a basic argument, not just "HAHAHAHA no". I was not asking for sources or anything, I know how to use a search engine efficiently.
>>
>>57608546
>KDE 5 looks amazing
Not really, no. It looks preety shitty.
>>
>>57608546
>screen tearing only happens

if it happens, then why did you lied and said it didn't?
>>
>>57608629
How? Unified flat breeze theme, that even works on gtk programs, and smooth, tear-free animations. What's not to like?
>>
>>57608661
But thats in the case of a misconfiguration, KDE shouldn't be run on proprietary drivers. Here's an analogy: Just because X cannot run without a X driver, doesn't mean X cannot run on a graphics card.
>>
>>57608719
>using the oficial drivers is a misconfiguration

are you for real now?
>>
>>57608719
animations are crap, the taskbar doesn't look good, and about that theme looks awful, what's to like?
>>
>>57608719
A decent DE should work fine with both, propietary and open source drivers.
>>
>>57608546
>Screen tearing only happens on proprietary drivers
I'm had a lot of problems with screen tearing using intel drivers.
>>
>>57608719
its illegal to use bait that attracts this hard.
https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2013_pdfs/2013_fishing.pdf
>>
I have an idea for a gui interface that allows for an easy way to install different types of servers with a few clicks.

Just think about how time consuming it is to set up ftp or email. You have to go through config after config, using outdated articles to piece yourself through getting a correct install.

My question is, is there something like it already? I'm thinking of just packaging docker
>>
File: 4203246577_554c40a070_z.jpg (128KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
4203246577_554c40a070_z.jpg
128KB, 500x335px
sorry if wrong forum.
I have problem
run kodi on laptop works fine, open kodi on desktop crash once video play.
My monitor is 20 inch if that help
>>
>>57608719
>KDE shouldn't be run on proprietary drivers
Why not? Genuinely interested, don't know much about drivers or graphics and just bought a new computer so for the first time I have a choice between nvidia and free drivers. Aren't the nvidia drivers better for performance and power saving?
>>
>>57608971
because it doesn't work with proprietary drivers, and instead of trying to fix the problems the go 'lol, just use open source you fucking capitalist pig'
>>
>>57608998
I'm using proprietary drivers right now in plasma, works ok so far.
>>
>>57609014
>werks on my machine lol
>>
>>57609040
It's a pity you can't validate or explain your argument. I was interested but you appear to be a moron.
>>
>>57609014
Which proprietary drivers? I know plasma has problems with nvidia's proprietary drivers.
>>
File: 1476893881386.png (152KB, 358x432px) Image search: [Google]
1476893881386.png
152KB, 358x432px
>>57608894
KEK
>>
>>57609058
I'm using nvidia-367 with NVIDIA GK107GLM [Quadro K2000M]. I do have one issue which is sporadic and only happens after a while but I don't know if I just haven't set things up properly.
My problem is that I don't really understand what I would be losing if I were to use the free driver. To me they appear to be the same in usage,
>>
What cards work nice with free drivers?
>>
>>57609055
What are you talking about? "works on my machine" isn't really an argument either

KDE is known for having problems with prorietary drivers, if it works for you, great, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

If you really are curious about why >>57608546
said you shouldn't use it with proprietary drivers, that's the reason, there's more people who've had problems using the proprietary drivers that people that hasn't had problems with them.

Am I clear enough now, you pedantic-wannabe retard?
>>
>>57603114
>.gif
>doesn't move

ITT: tech illiterates
>>
>>57609141
So your argument is that some people can have screen tearing?
>>
>>57609157
Ok, at this point it's preety obvious that you just want to play le epic troll, I really tought you were serious about your questions.

I will not follow your little game.
>>
File: Linux Torvalx superior JPEG.jpg (1KB, 356x280px) Image search: [Google]
Linux Torvalx superior JPEG.jpg
1KB, 356x280px
>>57609150
>>
Ran this command

su -c "yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686"

And now Fedora won't boot, get's stuck on switching root
>>
>>57609189
I am serious. You have gone from saying that kde doesn't work with proprietary drivers to some people may get screen tearing. I'm all ears but I'd like to know specific things.
>>
>>57609132
Get any amd card, the amdgpu drivers are excellent.
>>
File: 1463542784819.gif (589KB, 356x280px) Image search: [Google]
1463542784819.gif
589KB, 356x280px
>>57609150
>>
>>57609272
>when you drink vodka with russians in sauna
>>
>>57609214
>I am serious
about trolling? it sure seems like it
>>
>>57609214
Anon if you really are serious about the matter, first of all I'd recommend you to read the posts again, because you really are misinterpreting things.
>>
i found out that windows has bash so i no longer plan on going through the ordeal of figuring out how to dual boot the pc i'm buying myself for black friday. the only thing i'm worrying about is that i'll get used to using the desktop and watch porn on it and the NSA will see all my porn viewing habits
>>
>>57609257
Thanks
>>
>>57609305
Funny, "people have had issues" and screen tearing is very vague. Any one who knows what they are talking about would be able to explain and list issues instead all we get is hostility and belittling.
>>
>>57609359
You shouldn't use windows because it is malware.
>>
File: bait-thread.png (270KB, 680x467px) Image search: [Google]
bait-thread.png
270KB, 680x467px
>>57609419
>>
>>57609445
Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user.
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
>>
File: CxEVC23UUAA-zJq.jpg:large.jpg (33KB, 497x461px) Image search: [Google]
CxEVC23UUAA-zJq.jpg:large.jpg
33KB, 497x461px
>>57609455
>>
>>57609455
>As this page shows, if you do want to clean your computer of malware, the first software to delete is Windows.
I love these people, kek.
>>
>>57609445
Your stupid. You're picture clearly asks you not to reply and to ignore, why didn't you listen?
>>
>>57609419
i gotta have a windows machine though. i need to play my gaymes and lots of that kind of stuff, like my music software
>>
is there a way to cancel the command tree i'm in in vim? preferable without my hands leaving home row
>>
>>57608173
Write your own.

Simply look up how to write a keylogger in python.
>>
>>57608173
>spying on your children
kill yourself faggot
>>
How come when I try to debug an issue with VLC that would involve replacing a lua file located in /usr/lib/vlc/, I find that Debian doesn't even put vlc's library files in /usr/lib? What kind of bonkers OS is this?
>>
>tfw I use KDE and GNOME and enjoy them both
>>
>>57610168
it's his computer
>>
>>57608173
>moving out on your kids
>leaving them to someone you can't even trust to watch them let alone raise them
>being black
>>
>>57610168
His cuckolding has gone outta control and now he must know if his live-in girlfriend is cheating
>>
>>57608173
>t. my wife's son
>>
>>57610232
>being black
he wouldn't have been around in the beginning
>>
>>57610232
t. attachment issues
>>
>>57610256
That's fine, if you're raising your kids to become strong independent black women.
>>
His wife died of aids, wtf guys. It's a simple question and his aunts more than willing to help out.
>>
Another complaint about debian
>turn down system volume
>application volume goes down
>turn up application volume
>system volume goes up
What kind of crazy operating system is this?
>>
>>57609413
>people have had issues

Have you read the thread? it sure doesn't seem like it, you're just repeating yourself, and it looks like you have not read any of the posts involved in your argument.
>>
>>57610282
>using pulse
>>
>>57610282
firefox? and pulseaudio? rip.
>>
>>57610279
why are you speaking in third person?
enjoy you aids.
>>
>>57610282
You problem isn't software related. A computer can ony do what the user tells it to do.
>>
>>57610317
The application IS the system.
>>
>>57610227
I'm liking KDE, but I feel like they change the way things are done just so they could be different.
>>
>>57610168
>>57610232
>>57610242
>>57610044
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105197
>>
File: 1451562166926.jpg (59KB, 388x296px) Image search: [Google]
1451562166926.jpg
59KB, 388x296px
>>57610361
holy shit
>>
>>57610361
>https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105197
>London
He's from a cucked country too.
You can't make this up, kek.
>>
In KDE is there a way to quickly just associate one program with all filestypes it can run? I want to assign Smplayer as my default media player and foobar as my defualt music player. The default settings require me to make an individual association for each filetype manually though. Surely there is a better way.
>>
>>57610489
https://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings/File_Associations/en

take a look here, im pretty sure if you click on "image" you can set the application for all of it's children
>>
>>57610489
>foobar
what is wrong with you
>>
why i love arch
-system processes are not hidden behind a user interface
-arch is easier for me to understand
-arch is easier for me to fix issues
-arch wiki/documentation is by far better ie.more detailed
-arch is more fun
-AUR is INCREDIBLE, notes from users and developers
-arch takes less time for me to customize (easier to install few than uninstall many)
-arch comes with a sense of accomplishment
-some things are better in terminal, some graphical
-arch is more up-to-date (this benefited me specifically)
-you learn more about computer using arch (two types of people, developers and users?)
>>
>>57610596
nice memes
>>
>>57610596
>for me
heh
>>
>>57610596

This.

I used to play with Ubuntu, then Mint, then Elementary, then back to Mint, then to Arch.

Every distro except arch had system processes running that I didn't use like samba; Samba's service was up even when I don't want to connect to Windows shares.

Arch wiki is literally the best wiki I could find related to linux. Give me man pages and the Arch Wiki and I'll fix any problem. AUR is also great--many more packages than any other package manager.

I use the terminal much more than I do in arch. I could type it faster than I could click and drag folders.

Updates are great; Linux updates with more features and getting more stable every update.

Without installing arch, I could've given two shits less about GRUB or systemd. You know your system inside-out
>>
>>57610593
clementine is a bloated POS, audacious is perfect but for some reason doesn't output to my bluetooth and after 30 minutes troubleshooting I gave up. foobar, even in wine, just werks. I'm already familiar with it too and have a good system up for bulk tagging and whatnot. Also the jews need some vector mine my computer for data so i feel like including some closed source windows software will please them, thus lessening the chance they will be angry adn actively attack me.

most importantly it's none of your business so you can get your butt out of here and don't like the door hit your butt on the way out.
>>
>>57610586
yeah you can't, you need to adjust the program preference order for each filetype. It's not a big deal there aren't that many, it just feels clunky.
>>
>>57610736
why aren't you using qmmp instead
>>
>>57610772
foobar works fine so why bother?

also as another point about clementine. The dev removes features/options, because he feels if idiots use them they won't know how to undo it. so he purposely dumbs down the interface to the lowest common denominator. I have no idea why it's so highly regarded, it's itunes level shit.
>>
>>57605638
Try using a bridged connection instead of NAT.
>>
>>57610805
foobar combined with wine add extra failure points in you system.
looks like you really like clementine though
>>
>>57610720
dumb tripfag, nobody cares about your opinions, fuck off to reddit where scum like you is welcome
>>
at 57610720
look at >>57611236
>>
why is KDE simply the best?
are the other DEs even trying at this point?
>>
>>57611291
its shit, its bloated, its slow, it sucks
>>
>>57611291
KDE is a good thing for newcomers who need buttons for everything. The bad side effect is that this way, newcomers will stay new.
>>
>>57611298
its cool, its lightweight, its fast, its great
>>57611322
but i'm hardly a newcomer and i still recognize the obvious truth that kde is simply the best de out there.
>>
>>57611291
kde is like any de, okay for average users, shite for hackers who love to customize
>>
>>57611291
KDE is bloaty as fuck. MATE is where it's at.
>>
how to add more shadow to tint panel? it doesn't seem to do shit. anyone have a compton. conf to share
>>
>>57610805
Deadbeef is the Linux version of foobar. Better than using Wine, and way better than fucking gay music player daemons.
>>
>>57611335
yeah. we weren't talking about wms though.
kde is the best de and its customizable too for a de at least.
>>57611348
MATE is a piece of dog shite mate
>>
>>57611354
Reminder that Linux is a kernel and doesn't have music players.
>>
>>57611370
Here's your You.
>>
>>57611370
remdinder that your head is shit and doesn't have brain cells
>>
I've heard using overlays can break something. Would it be fine to use 2 overlays just for 2 programs?
>>
>>57611367
is "shite" the new thing?
>>
>>57611401
you could overlay your overlay so you can overlay your overlay when you overlay your programs for more security
>>
>>57611409
have you literally never heard this word? you know that esls aren't allowed here, right?
>>57611422
that's fucking deep. Would it be fine with just 2 overlays for 2 programs?
>>
>>57611429
what is an esls?
>>
>>57611442
basically you
leave this thread please or i will call the private police
>>
I've been using xubuntu for a while and I love it, but I'm having few problems that are hard to ignore.

When I log in after opening my laptop lid to wake it up from suspend, everything is frozen. It happens maybe 3/4ths of the time I resume from suspend. I cannot do anything except for force shutdown. I have reinstalled the distro with no luck.

Has anyone encountered this with xubuntu or Ubuntu 16 in general? This really disrupts my daily usage, and I'm thinking about switching distros even though everything else about xubuntu is literally perfect for me atm.

Any other recommendations that are similar in usability and 'just werks out tha box'? How is fedora xfce?
>>
>>57608683
Unavailability of nostalgic themes that happen to induce vomit

>>57610227
I like KDE and Xfce. The only think xfwm lacks is the modern visual effects. However KDE, if your distro is okay/the distro is not full of bloats, is better
>>57610596
>inb4 debian/gentoo shills
>>
>Bloatards
When will this meme end?
>>
Can anyone tell me where the network manager Internet connection sharing settings are stored?

When I enable ICS on Linux it is consistently 50% slower than if I run it on Windows. Sometimes it even hangs on the client device. Any ideas why? I'm running it on an atom netbook so maybe it's a hardware bottleneck?
>>
>>57611625
>using windows
>>
Hey /g/, I'm wondering what exactly bloat is. Can you give me an example?
>>
>>57611625
You're probably doing it wrong
>>
>>57612032
arch, gnu, debian, mint, ubuntu, memejaro, linux
these are the most bloated things out there
>>
>>57612032
bloat is when you have superfluous stuff on your system that you don't use and/or need
a good example for bloat is arch linux, its packages include source code headers documents and lots of stuff you don't use and/or need
>>
>>57612083
Huzzah!
>>
>>57612113
What's a source code header and document? Also what's the other stuff your talking about?
>>
>>57612004
>not using windows
>>
>>57612144
>using malware as operating system
>>
>>57612083
wtf I hate linux now
>>
>>57612083
>debian
It's actually pretty lightweight due to package splitting.
>>
>>57612134
say for example you have a media player that has a bunch of configurations for streaming from last FM, spotify, soundcloud etc etc, but you never use that shit and can't get rid of it. Or your web browser has a heap of accessibility options for blind or deaf people, but you aren't blind or deaf. that's bloat. if something is not bloated it means it simply does and includes nothing but what you require.
>>
>>57612153
>not using based Windows/NT as your operating system
>>
>>57612175
every package there has a copy of the communist manifesto and capital in it so no, it's not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination
>>
>>57612183
>implying
>>
>>57612176
Cool. Arch is still lightweight though because those options don't take up many spaces on your HDD.
>>
>>57612204
>not implying
>>
what does the hotkey you're using the most?
>>
>>57612213
idk I've never used arch. Bloat doesn't bother me if it's not hogging RAM, or using up an absurd amount of disk storage.
>>
>>57612286
button 1
>>
>>57612286
Kills and restarts Firefox.
>>
>>57612286
d m e n u
m
e
n
u
>>
>>57612334
>using a mouse
>>
>>57612366
>what does the hotkey do
thanks for telling me you're retarded.
>>
>>57612389
>using a hotkey for a hotkey that already exists
thanks for telling me you're retarded.
>>
>>57612389
you could use a hotkey for a hotkey so you can make a hotkey for the hotkey that hits the hotkey to your hotkey for more security
>>
>>57612446
>regurgitating what i said.
>same fagging
you must be a triggered retard
>>
I'm trying to get together all the stuff I'll need when I put Arch on my old gaymen laptop. What's a good DM to use? I wanna rice it out, I have the power.
>>
>>57612462
>not making a hotkey to do all this
>>
>>57612483
every arch users recommends i3
>>
>>57612483
>>57612493
>dm
>i3
i would recommend lightdm for arch
>>
>>57612483
All you need is being retarded, then Arch is perfect for you out of the box.
>>
>>57612498
>using a display manager
found the babby
>>
>>57612483
>using a dm
bloat
just startx
>>57612493
noob
>>
>>57612511
nice bait
>>
>>57612493
Thanks!
>>
What happens when I run apt-get install *?
>>
>>57612581
spits an error, nigger
>>
>>57612595
And .*?
>>
>>57612595
>nigger
fuck off racist scum
>>>/pol/
>>
>>57612609
here's your safe space, nigglet
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>57612622
really rude desu
>>
What's the best Arch installer
>>
>>57612710
why would you use a shite distro?
>>
>>57612710
live cd
>>
>>57612710
The one I'm using.
>>
>>57612700
but you won't deny it isn't true?
>>
>>57612710
>he fell for the arch meme
>>
>>57612714
when you use arch, you actually learn something
>>
>>57612729
yeah, you learn that it's shite
>>
>>57612740
>being this retarded that you actually have to install that piece of crap to verify this
>>
>>57612710
https://archwomen.org/blog/post/installing-arch.html
>>
So what do you think about Deepin, guys? Currently using Ubuntu GNOME, but Deepin might just change that.
>>
>>57613058
>le macos dock
shite for macfags such as yourself
approximate translation into your language: "Yaay! It's so shiny and cool!"
>>
File: Bra girl pg 23.jpg (70KB, 313x369px) Image search: [Google]
Bra girl pg 23.jpg
70KB, 313x369px
New to linux and I'm trying to build an application package from source.

1. When I build the package, there are a lot of files that show up, is it safe to delete those?

2. I'd like to have the application package so I could install it to other machines, How do I do this?

3. When building and installing packages from source it won't be managed by the package manger, how do I make it so that the package manger can delete it?
>>
>>57613149
1. It's save to delete them, since you can re-download the source code any time. You can also keep it, if you need the "make uninstall" feature, when the makefile supports it.

2./3. No idea about other distros (I guess there are simliar tools), but on Debian you can use checkinstall, which creates a package you can save somewhere and installs it.

4. >>>/a/
>>
Sup /g/.

Been thinking of doing some small research and find out about 5 really good distros that are not talked about frequently enough. That is, unpopular but still fairly good distros for different purposes.

Could you help me out with this? I consider these popular so I shall rule them out: Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, Mint.
>>
I didn't find any reason why this problem follow me every time. I have an raspberry pi with jessie on it. After installing and upgrading my system, I need to have ssh access to the rpi. after a successfull connection over ssh, the connection will be closed after a while, without no reason. when this happend, I can't connect again over ssh to thr rpi. I had changed the devices where I tried to connect to the rpi, I started the networking process new, I started the sshd new, I started the rpi complete new and wrote the image a second time on the sd card, nothing helped... any ideas?
>>
>>57613573
Alpine, Apartheid Linux, Black Arch, RHEL, Doudou Linux, Ubuntu Satanic
>>
>>57613404
4. >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>57610596
Replace arch with GNU/Linux and AUR is aids
>>
>>57613746
no
>>
>>57612729
You learn nothing except that you just type 3 commands and 1 command to install a binary, you probably don't even know how to compile something from scratch or what kernel modules you need for you hardware.
>>
Please help completing this list:

Aloonix
https://aloonix.neocities.org/

Apartheid Linux:
https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t786671/

Biebian:
http://biebian.sourceforge.net/

Hannah Montana Linux
http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html

Jewbuntu
http://www.jewbuntu.org/

Suicide Linux
https://qntm.org/suicide

Ubuntu Christian Edition
http://ubuntuce.com/

Ubuntu Satanic Edition
http://ubuntusatanic.org/
>>
>>57614001
Fedora
https://getfedora.org/
>>
>>57614001
HITLERLINUX
http://properfucked.net/hitlerlinux.html
>>
>>57614001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_Hat_Linux
>>
>>57614001
Red Star OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS
>>
> be on Linux Mint
> upgrade Firefox
> all of a sudden have a fucking "libavcodec may be vulnerable or or is not supported, and should be updated to play video" message at the top of my screen
> google unironically is bringing up nothing, though videos are playing just fine

what the fuck do I even do now fglt ?
>>
File: 1444263509062.png (243KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444263509062.png
243KB, 640x480px
How do you market free software to a little girl with little girl sensibilities?
I was given a girl to raise by a wizard, he told me she had the power to save free software, but also the power to destroy it.
>>
>>57614673
Update it?
>>
>>57614689
>プリキユア
hurry, though, its falling fast
>>
>>57614713
I am sorry but how do I go about doing that?
>>
>>57614725
how will that get them interested?
>>
>>57614804
apt-get install libavcodec

Or run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>
I'm getting this error when I try to open a file with mpv
intel_do_flush_locked failed: Invalid argument
>>
>>57614849
>how will that get them interested?
It got kids attention for a decade;
Just put some 2ms "free software is good" frames in the episodes and you'll be set.
And before you complain 'that isn\'t right', consider that your government has done similar for a long time
>>
>>57614868
Neither of those two worked fampai
>>
>>57614882
>intel
Found the problem!
>>
>>57614893
What are you getting now?
>>
>>57614914
Turning it off then back on have solved the issue.
Thanks for nothing you useless reptile.
>>
New thread: >>57614941
>>
>>57614673
1. replace mint with a better distro
2. replace google with a better search engine
>>57614884
>'that isn\'t right'
You're doing it wrong. It needs to be quoted like this:

'that isn'\''t right'
>>
>>57614944
no seriously, not trump shit, kill yourself and delete your shit thread faggot
>>
>>57614918
apt-get install libavcodec
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
No command 'run' found, did you mean:
Command 'runq' from package 'exim4-daemon-light' (main)
Command 'runq' from package 'sendmail-bin' (universe)
Command 'runq' from package 'exim4-daemon-heavy' (main)
Command 'srun' from package 'slurm-llnl' (universe)
Command 'rn' from package 'trn4' (multiverse)
Command 'rn' from package 'trn' (multiverse)
Command 'rup' from package 'rstat-client' (universe)
Command 'grun' from package 'grun' (universe)
Command 'zrun' from package 'moreutils' (universe)
Command 'qrun' from package 'torque-client' (universe)
Command 'qrun' from package 'torque-client-x11' (universe)
run: command not found
>>
>>57614962
Get fucked, commie!
>>
>>57611354
Except it has none of the things which make foobar powerful, such as a library, file organization. They are really not that similar, these are quite fundamental differences.
>>
File: 4p6uYDA.gif (2MB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
4p6uYDA.gif
2MB, 350x233px
>>57614975
Run this
sudo apt-get install libavcodec

Or this
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
File: JfbVhe7.jpg (96KB, 497x400px) Image search: [Google]
JfbVhe7.jpg
96KB, 497x400px
>>57603114
How to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer on Ubuntu?

I've Googled it, but I find no solution.
It's a well-known bug, but maybe some of you guys could already fix it.
>>
>>57615048
emerge -av ttf-mscorefonts-installer

make sure you have layman installed with the arch ppa
>>
>>57615070
>/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>Friendly

brah
>>
>>57615070
wew lad
>>
>>57615048
>i've googled, no results
>it's a well known bug
pick one retard
>>
>>57615048
sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

What's so difficult?
>>
>>57615182
It doesn't work.
>>
>>57615318
ok, good luck getting help with that.
>>
>>57615048
>using proprietary fonts
DUDE
>>
>>57615348
What's wrong with propriety fonts?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.