[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Build Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

So my friend wants to finally build a gaming pc after their old laptop shit out on them. I'm trying to give them a hand, but I just wanted to see if we could save some money on some parts by maybe downgrading a little bit. Pic related is what we have so far. The budget is in the $900 range, so we're close, but we want to see if we can bring that down beneath that.
>>
>>57407037
WD are kikes, EVGA products explode, case is way overpriced for the build range, memory is bottom of the barrel speedwise, and I hope you're fine with replacing the GPU in two years once Nvidia drops driver support.
>>
>>57407037
Just gat a 480, that would bring it under $900. Otherwish, solid build for the price.
>>
Power supply is over kill
500w will work and save 50 bucks too
>>
>>57407240
Against my advice, they wanted to go with something that looks "cooler" than something cheaper with more ventilation, so unfortunately the case doesn't seem to be negotiable. Definitely switching out the power, though.

>>57407280
A 480 what?

>>57407283
With a change in the power supply, this is definitely gonna happen.
>>
>>57407037
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yTVnd6
>>
>>57407037
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JpJx2R

$762.19 Is that good enough?
>>
>>57407763
We were actually looking at that mobo for a minute, so that's doable. But just out of curiosity, why the EVGA over the Gigabyte GTX 1060?
>>
>>57407868
The only different here is cost, clock speed. Both are very close in specifications in which I don't believe is worth an extra $30 for. Also, I've had great customer service experience and RMA process with EVGA is superb.

It maybe slightly faster in frame rates but I doubt your friend will even notice. Overclocking can soon make up for that if he goes that route.
>>
>>57407948
Ok, we're gonna go with the EVGA over the Gigabyte. Thank you so much for your help.
>>
>>57408055
You're welcome
>>
>>57408055
Dude, check some reviews on the EVGA gtx 1060. If I'm not mistaken, their version of the card overheats A LOT. Confirm just in case
>>
Don't want to start a new thread but would like someone to look over my build, will justify some of my decisions here
>why ITX over ATX?
Want it to sit on my desk and not take up a lot of room, plus with the more power efficient processors and video cards a larger enclosure is sort of pointless in my opinion
>why spend so much money on 650x power supply?
Honestly, I just want a modular power supply so that the cable management is clean; and I think this power supply has a feature that it stops the fan when not under load, reducing noise which is a plus
>why a 1070 and not a cheaper 1060 or a 480?
Simply put, I'm planning on buying a large, ultrawide display which needs the extra power to be able to play newer titles at decent settings/framerates, denser pixels means I need better hardware to push them all around
>cpu choice?
i7 seems overkill and paying the $30 more to get a 6600k over the 6500 seems like a good choice seeing as as the processor ages I can oc it to get the most use out of its lifetime
>why buy such an expensive motherboard?
I just want an ITX motherboard (so it fits in the case), that has inbuilt WIFI so if I ever need to move it to a different room or take it somewhere it can easily connect to the net without requiring an ethernet cable. And seeing as it's an ITX motherboard I can't really add a WIFI card as they usually only have one PCI-E slot
>ram choice?
Seeing as I'm buying a Z type motherboard I might as well opt for the higher MHz RAM to utilise that 'exclusive' feature of this type of motherboard
>case choice?
Nicest looking 'ITX' case in my opinion. Not so small that it'll cause heating problems with decent hardware, but not too big that it takes up as much room as an ATX case - hits that nice middle area
>storage?
Going to take 2TB drive out of my current PC so all I need is a decent SSD
>CPU cooler?
Might even change this to a beQuiet cooler just because I want the build to be quiet as it's on my desk

Thoughts?
>>
I got the MSI gtx 1060 and I couldn't be happier. Quietest and coolest piece of hardware I've ever owned.
>>
>>>/g/pcbg/
>>
>>57407948
>>57408055
>>57408146
EVGA has been having problems with A LOT of its video cards lately (http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-evga-cards-dying/ - or just google 'EVGA news' and have a look around)

Some coolers seem to be malfunctioning and overheating to like 100C+, EVGA has acknowledged and has patched VBIOS and sent out replacement thermal pads that fix the issue.

But I would steer clear of buying one new just because it would be such a bitch to buy a brand new build and have to fuck around with all of that just to get your GFX card to function as it should.
>>
>>57408055
Don't do this. Buy Gigabyte or Zotac for Nvidia. Anyone who strictly says buy EVGA is under the age of 22 and thus don't have enough hardware experience.
>>
>>57408147
Why don't you go for a M.2 SSD instead of the sata evo? Money doesn't seem to be that much of a problem for you.
>>
>>57408146
>>57408170
>>57408178
Thanks for the heads up. I'll just go with the Gigabyte G1 I originally picked. $5 difference but hey, it seems like it's gonna save us a hassle.
>>
>>57408217
Thank goodness. EVGA is a company here in the states. And it has followed suit with most American companies. Used to be god tier now it's products are just a roll of the dice. They have okay customer service for a large company. I'm 30 and have been dealing with companies in tech since round 1996 (yes 10; uncle).
>>
>>57408187
Just to clarify it's not that 'money isn't a problem for me,' I've just been saving for quite a while and want to buy something that will last well for quite a few years to come.

But I did consider an M.2 SSD however, without paying a HUGE premium it doesn't do anything (performance wise) but change the interface. The read and write speed seem to remain the same compared to the SATA variant, so I might as well go for the more widely supported interface so incase I ever have to plug the drive into another PC for one reason or another.
>>
>>57408233
I stick with Zotac and they just werk.
>>
>>57408260
Zotac is great and that's why I recommended them before. They are the only company that gets special contracts with Nvidia.
>>
>>57407037
Get ddr4 3000 RAM
>>
>>57408147
That monitor uses Freesync. It's not the best implementation out there, especially considering the 60Hz refresh rate.

You may want to get something higher Hz or use the Freesync option. A 480 will definitely power that 2560 x 1080p ultrawide

Personally I'd get the i5 6500 and upgrade to the Kaby Lake i7 a few years down the road.
>>
File: Screenshot of PC Build.png (82KB, 981x615px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot of PC Build.png
82KB, 981x615px
Not sure if anyone is still here, but this is what i thought of for a system build. The overall price is about $1300. Im looking for a good and fast PC for gaming, audio/video editing, etc.
>>
File: jack.png (259KB, 554x358px) Image search: [Google]
jack.png
259KB, 554x358px
>>57407037
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qVMpr7

What do you guys think about my build?

In Canadia btw.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.