[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously, what are people suppose to message with on Android?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 12

File: images.jpg (6KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 299x168px
Seriously, what are people suppose to message with on Android? I switched from an iPhone to a OP3 and all my normie friends and family only use iMessage and can't handle using a third party messaging platform.

What do you guys use for messaging?
>>
File: 1465528536126.gif (580KB, 255x163px) Image search: [Google]
1465528536126.gif
580KB, 255x163px
I send sms messages like everyone else you fuckwad
>>
>>57315329
>SMS
>2016
what kind of shithole you live in?
>>
facebook, whatsapp, signal, groupme, allo, slack, hangouts, snapchat

my serious question for you is how you're this helpless and stupid.
>>
Whatsapp
>>
In Europe everybody uses WhatsApp, not sure what people in America use.
>>
>>57315302

Google Messenger for SMS. No need for anything else as literally anyone can send and receive it, regardless of platform.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x299px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x299px
SMS, like literally every single normal person.
>>
>>57315358
>Europe everybody uses WhatsApp
So far the only people I've seen using whatsapp are germans and gypsies.

Here it's SMS and facebook messager.
>>
>>57315341
Why do you feel the need to use an app to perform basic phone functionality? What shithole do you live in where phones can't just send an sms?
>>
Everyone I know uses Facebook Messenger, from my friends to my grandparents. That's the easy cross-platform option. Long term, Google needs to sort out its messaging mess. Allo was a huge letdown.
>>
>>57315341

What's wrong with SMS. Every company in the USA offers unlimited messaging anyway on the most basic plans.
>>
I use email. If time is of concern then the obvious, more expedient method would be a phone call.
>>
>>57315329
>>57315371
>>57315377
SMS is archaic and doesn't support modern features. It breaks up long messages and compresses the shit out of pics and videos with MMS

>>57315351
>>57315358

I'm in America and no one uses WhatsApp

>>57315344
This is the problem. There's so many messaging apps and it's incredibly fragmented. They are also all useless if no one you know uses them. The only one I could see gaining traction is Facebook Messenger but fuck using anything with FB. I've been using Wire which is pretty nice but again, most people I know just use iMessage.
>>
File: cunnyshipment.jpg (32KB, 543x532px) Image search: [Google]
cunnyshipment.jpg
32KB, 543x532px
>switch phones from iPhone
>Turn off iMessage
>Put sim into axon 7
>Receive messages from the same people with SMS instead of blue bubbles
>Literally the same shit
>>
>>57315389
where's "here"? i live in the US and i've only heard of references to gypsies in the UK and EU.

some people use whatsapp. it's generally dependent on the circles of friends you have.

use whatever your friends use. i find it hard to believe they only use iMessage. if they claim that, they're probably trying to be subtle about edging you out. like when you ask for a woman's number and she says she doesn't own a phone or something.
>>
Everyone I know uses WhatsApp, applefags and androidfags alike.
>>
I use Allo with my gf, everyone else I use SMS
>>
>>57315344
>whatsapp, signal, groupme, allo, slack, snapchat

I do not know what those things are.
>>
>>57315444
>The only one I could see gaining traction is Facebook Messenger
it's already gained traction. if you somehow live in a backwater where people don't use facebook messenger, something about your locale is so weird that predicting the future would be nuts.

just use whatever your friends use. you don't have enough influence to coerce your whole friendship network to use your thing.
>>
>>57315470
a fair number of them haven't launched in india and stuff so i guess just wait?
>>
>>57315444
>It breaks up long messages

Any modern SMS app will recombine them into a single message based on time stamp. I'm pretty sure you're just pretending to be retarded at this point.
>>
>>57315477
That maybe the case for India but I live in New York City.
>>
>>57315444
>doesn't support modern features
Like what?

>It breaks up long messages
It fucking doesn't, I regularly exchange concatenated SMS of 3+ regular SMS (160 characters) due to additional encoding and never had any issues with it "breaking"

>and compresses the shit out of pics and videos with MMS
We're talking about messaging not sending your retarded weeb friends the freshest pepe you've found on 4chan, so stop moving goalposts.
>>
>>57315456

I use Whatsapp with my family since my sister's work phone has a retarded plan with no SMSing, and other than that just basic SMSing. Beyond that, I can't imagine what else I'd need for basic text messaging.
>>
>>57315444
>SMS is archaic
You're sending a string of characters from one device to another. This is not complicated technology, and we don't need a thousand proprietary programs for it. Email your fucking picture if you want to keep it from being compressed, MMS is for chumps. And if you can't speak in sentences less than 160 characters you have a problem.
>>
Let me make this simple for you service addicts:

phone
sms
email

That is all you ever need unless you believe marketing hype.
>>
>>57315498
i don't know how to explain how someone living in NYC doesn't know about half a dozen popular messaging apps. in particular allo generated a fair amount of buzz, so if you're into technology (as being on /g/ would suggest) then your obliviousness here is that much more bizarre.

is this part of a bit? like you act oblivious as a way of negging on these apps? it's not having the intended effect if that's the case...
>>
>>57315498
>Never heard of Snapchat
>Never heard of Whatsapp
>Never heard of Slack
Hahahahahahahahah okay.
>>
>>57315540
>>57315551

sorry, kids. i guess i should read more about the latest gadgetry and services.
>>
>>57315302
whatsapp for normies, circle for everyone else.
>>
>>57315569
You really should.
>>
ICQ on Trillian.
>>
SMS. Textra
>>
>>57315569
Yes pajeet, if you plan to visit /g/ go read more tech news
>>
>>57315569
>Kids
>Has never worked with Slack even at a place of work or an institution of learning
>Kids
>>
>>57315302
Apple successfully cucked you and all your family and friends. Do us all a favor and nuke wherever you live
>>
File: ohoh.png (28KB, 1153x385px) Image search: [Google]
ohoh.png
28KB, 1153x385px
>>57315517
Close one.
>>
>>57315569
slack is for work. even normal friends who work white collar jobs all know what it is (if they don't use it themselves).

i'm not sure if you're trying to make us think you're a child or sheltered or what.
>>
There really is no point denying that iMessage is the best messaging software. Do you want every other service to remain inferior? By refusing to accept what is the best, you only enable stagnation. Instead of asserting, "iMessage fucking sucks! This alternative that isn't actually as good is way better!" Why not instead say, "iMessage is the best, I will take what it does and do it better."? The first step to becoming the best is accepting that you are not the best. The lack of understanding this basic concept is why Apple will reign until it kills itself as no one else will be able to do that but them.
>>
>>57315943
when we call these people "zealots", it's not hyperbole. they reject rationality if it doesn't make their preferred thing look favorable.
>>
>>57315943
Step 1. Have a rabid fanbase.
>>
>>57315537
thread over
>>
>>57315302
I hate to say it, but facebook messenger is actually pretty decent. Its completely separate from the actual facebook app, and it merges your sms messages

>>57315341
literally no one where I live in Canada uses anything other than sms, facebook messenger or snapchat. Sometimes instagram direct messages, but that's still super rare. Every provider offers free sms and because our country is so massive if you go out of town they're a lot more reliable than services that use data.
>>
>>57315658

The babies around here won't know what these are.
>>
iMessage and Facebook Messenger are the best.
>>
>>57316418
>popular in the US
>the best
>>
>>57315537
Luddites >>>/out/
>>
>>57316451
no silly, they're both popular worldwide. The reason they're the best is a variety of reasons, spanning from ui/ux to send speed.
>>
File: wire-logo-350x200.jpg (4KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
wire-logo-350x200.jpg
4KB, 350x200px
What's the /g/ opinion on Wire? Cross platform, encrypted IM, video and voice. IM encryption is based on Signal's, which I know folks here are generally a fan of.

No SMS though.
>>
In France mainly SMS, after imessage then messenger and WhatsApp. But somehow SMS is still the most popular amongst them all
Africans are the only one using Viber
In Spain for example everyone uses WhatsApp cause they don't have unlimited SMS
>>
>>57316485
iMessage isn't even in the top 10.
>>
I use Google Messenger because I'm not retarded.
>>
>>57315470
Wow what a cool guy, he doesn't know popular apps, he must be some kind of wizard.
>>
In the Netherlands it's whatsapp, I think some people use viber or telegram as well.
>>
Durrr SMS is decapricated. IMessage became popular in the first place because you could send an SMS from wherever you wanted with WIFI for free. Telecompanies realized they where fighting a loosing battle and just decided to make them free. We are now in fucking 2016 where SMS is FUCKING FREE and still some people insist on using some gimmicky non standerd way of communication.

>But muh images and vids/facetime.
Yes this is the only valid reason to use something other then SMS or if you have to pay for SMS. But if you don't live in in some third world shithole you don't have this issue in the first place. And most shit you send is text anyway. Instead of having of companies trying to fix this issue THAT SHOULD NOT BE FIXED BY THEM, we need a new fucking standerd like SMS2 which supports Images and vids, and it has to be FREE for low image/vids filesizes.

>What is MMS?
Some gimmicky shit that costs money and almost nobody knows about, just release SMS2 so we can finally trash all these apps that try to "fix" this fucking problem. But of course Apple will be cunts about this again and keep their gimmicky system so they can datamine your messages.

This stupid fucking discussion about what duuurrr app to use for communication should not exist in the first place.
>>
>>57317947
Good post, you forgot to mention that SMS is also slow. I don't know how Apple does it, but iMessages are sent and received very fast even if you're in a poor service area. SMS messages are sometimes slow and will send out of order if you send a group of messages.

It's too late for something like SMS2, though. People love the new iOS 10 iMessage features, and adding something similar to those to SMS is impossible. iMessage is really good. Just use it, be done pondering this issue, and put your energy toward something else.
>>
>>57318808
>SMS is slow
What? You're full of shit.
>>
>>57317947
Many countries don't have free SMS.
>>
Signal. Encryption, group messaging, posting gifs and webms... Best app you need
>>
I use Hangouts(e.g. the default Android messaging/SMS app). It will merge SMS/MMS and messages like iMessage.
>>
>>57315444
>I'm in America and no one uses WhatsApp
America is quite a big continent. Here in Argentina, everybody and their dog uses WhatsApp.
Oh, or did you mean .us?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-30-23-59-04.png (52KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-30-23-59-04.png
52KB, 1080x1920px
Do you guys send messages with your phones often ? Sometimes I'll have a text conversation with Skype on my desktop but almost never from my phone. Mostly the only typing I do on it is in clover
>>
>>57318826
You've never experienced SMS messages that aren't received for like, 3 minutes after you sent them? Maybe it's just a Sprint thing, but it happens to me all the time and it's quite annoying.
>>
>>57315302
>normies
>who don't use Facebook Messenger
This green bubble meme is way too overplayed.

Unless you live in some hipster shithole like California, people have plenty of non-iphone friends.
>>
I use three messaging apps:
>SMS
I use Google Messenger for that

>Facebook Messenger
for people I don't have phone numbers but still contact

>LINE
For my Asian friends and one group chat I'm part of
>>
>>57315420
the rest of the world knows, only Americunts and shitholes in Africa are keeping SMS alive. Rest of the world moved on. I bet you also send MMS
>>
iMessage is way too overrated. Tell me one more messaging platform that gets outages that are as frequent as iMessage servers. Exactly. And iMessage doesn't even have the most users.
>>
>>57318846
>Many countries don't have free SMS.
THIS
Holy shit you do not understand how annoying it is that my friends are too poor to get with the times and buy a damn iphone. I don't want to have to pay 10 cents for every message I get or send because they're broke as fuck.
>>
I'm in Canada and SMS is very reliable, not to mention unlimited.

The carriers here use IMS for SMS over LTE, and it is actually very fast. I sometimes get MMS issues with Wind or Rogers/Fido users, but that's because their network is shit. I rarely need to use MMS anyway.
>>
>>57315444
>I'm in America and no one uses WhatsApp
Literally no one would say this, every fucking person I know uses whatsapp, every business too.
>>
>>57318982
>sprint
Stop being poor
>>
>>57318982
Yes It Is A Shitty Network Thing.
>>
I just use the Google Messenger program that came installed by default on my Nexus. It's perfectly functional, which is all I need. Customizing shit is for real computers, not phones.
>>
>>57319104
Google Messenger Is The Best Sms App For Android. Material Design And Shit.
>>
>>57319115
Messenger isn't MD anymore, they changed it for 7.1
>>
>>57319073
>>57319082
wow maybe it is time to switch
>>
>>57319082
Their latest ad campaign is how they're "almost as good as verizon, but for less!"
>>
>>57315358
America is GroupMe and FB Messenger territory
>>
>>57319140
LOL I bet even t-mobile is better than that shit. Probably depends on the location though.
>>
>>57319157
Is T-Mobile still doing the "unlimited data" where the first 2gb are 4G speed or whatever, then the rest is 2G
>>
>>57319157
Ghetto mobile is better than sprint, they have as good coverage as at&t provided you're not in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>57319082
>sprint sucks
>verizon is expensive
>tmobile sucks
>at&t cucks you

what do you guys use
>>
>>57319211
Im In Canada
>>
>>57319211
Cricket.

AT&T network, costs $45/mo for 5GB data and unlimited talk/text.

After that, use T-Mobile. It really doesn't suck unless you're in the middle of nowhere.
>>
Every friend I have has a jabberid and email. choose your friends wisely and realize you only need 2 or 3 max.
>>
>>57319222
>>57319193
So they have good coverage as long as you're in an urban/suburban area? Is this right?
>>
>>57319211
ATT on that unlimited data
>>
Textra is all you need.
>>
>>57319269
soft cap at 23gb though
>>
>>57319272
>an SMS app owned by some third party jew company
No thanks.
>>
>>57319272
Even had the ios emojis for your ibuddies
>>
>>57319241
For T-Mobile?

Yeah, that's about right. I never had problems as long as I was close to a town with more than about 15k people. Once you get outside of the cities though, it's very hit and miss, usually with 2g data. They've been getting better.

Cricket has the exact same everything as AT&T, but data rate is limited to 8Mbps or something. I don't really care, since I only email, shitpost and occasionally stream music over cellular.
>>
Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Family and extended family is on WhatsApp, friends on Facebook. You can run SMS/MMS through Messenger as well, plus it has group video and face calling support, file support, etc. If you're muh botnet then get Wire but good lucking getting anyone on it
>>
Weechat, sorry 1.1 Billion Chinese cannot be wrong.
>>
There are way too many messaging apps. People need to get a grip and pick one and stick to it. I swear to you gosh at this point i have more messaging apps than friends. Also, allo would be nice if it supported sms, multiple devices and had a user base.
>>
>>57315302
Apple has internal testing versions of iMessage for Android.
>>
File: lauff it up.jpg (37KB, 661x349px) Image search: [Google]
lauff it up.jpg
37KB, 661x349px
>>57315302
Wait, does iPhone not support sms?

What the fuck?
>>
>>57319539
> pick one and stick to it
Anything email-based will do.
>>
>>57319539
>People need to get a grip and pick one and stick to it.
They have. iMessae, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, and stock SMS apps
>>
>>57319597
It does.
Everyone throwing a fit about iMessage is retarded because you can just SMS anyone.
>>
>>57319659
>you can just sms anyone
Exactly, so what's the issue? Is op just crying about his bubble colors?
>>
>>57319050
What country? You can get unlimited calls and SMS as cheap as 20 aud a month last time I checked.
>>
I don't use iMessages becase I live in a third world country were a tiny percent of the people use iPhones, in some cases they use dummy phones, that doesn't mean that they are not my friends but I would like to use iMessages because I like it more, sometimes I use Facebook Messenger, I have an iPhone but not everyone has an iPhone on a third world country.
>>
>>57319679
Probably.

People on this board say stupid shit, like girls calling them out on green bubbles. IRL no one cares.
>>
>>57315358
Depends. Eastern European places use WhatsApp (as well as Viber, and FB messenger..), too, but there is a kind of a class divide between apps.
Everybody (and I mean, EVERYBODY) uses FB messenger.
Some people use Viber
And some people use WhatsApp.

I've researched a bit, and WhatsApp users turned out to be the richest on average by far. Why? No idea.
>>
>>57319679
OP wants to use a better messaging solution than SMS but he can't convince any of his friends/family to use something besides iMessage.
>>
>>57319789
What's wrong with sms though?

>send and receive messages instantly without an internet connection
>no longer has a character limit thanks to modern SMS apps
>free sms is standard in most First World countries like Aus
>>
>>57319843
SMS isn't new or sexy. Millennials hate it because they don't want to use the same messaging protocol that their parents use.
>>
>>57315943
>imessage is the best
>messenger only avaivable on iphone
>whole point is writing people you met messages.
>can't do that if they don't have iphones.
Thats pretty shitty for a messenger. And also why sms is the best.
>>
>>57319843
Fucking this
>>
>>57319855
>SMS isn't new
Fuck off. You're the sort of person who would support apples lack of ports on their newer devices.
>>
>>57319843
No extra features, awful file transfer. If these things don't matter to you, great. But they matter to a lot of people.
>>57319862
A lot of people have iPhones and it's fully compatible with SMS. SMS isn't a messenger. It's protocol.
>>
>>57319896
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>57319910
Mms may suck dick for sending images, but it's still universally compatible across any device ranging from pre-symbian phones to the latest flagship.

Therefore, it's the only acceptable option until every new device supports a better standard.
>>
>using iMessage or Google Hangouts instead of your native SMS
lol enjoy getting ads for whatever you and your friends talk about. Enjoy paying to be in a universal advertising focus group.
>>
File: fedora 2.jpg (190KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
fedora 2.jpg
190KB, 1067x800px
>>57319956
You dropped your hat.
>>
>>57315329
Seriously that's me too. I didn't know I was doing it all wrong apparently.
>>
>>57319933
>sending images
And pretty much every other type of file format. And Weblinks.

It fucking sucks. No one in first world countries care about supporting old shitty devices. Dammit, I don't get you people. Why do you shill shitty standards? If you truly care about dethroning Apple, get to work on superior technology and make it free/give it to a big tech company for marketing. It's clear that you guys are passionate about this. So why not do something instead of whining about Apple domination?
>>
>>57319973
>not using x-instant messaging app because I don't want to generate advertising revenue for google/apple
>you must be autistic
Will my message look cooler if it had "sent from my iPhone" attached to the message?
>>
>>57320002
Name one messaging system that works universally across android, ios and windows phone. Something that supports messaging, images, file attachments, videos, weblinks, etc.
Something that's baked into the OS like SMS and MMS.
>>
>>57315302
Textra, so great, and it keeps getting updated on the monthly.
>>
>>57320058
i dont know
>>
>>57315302
God I wish Android could have iMessage it's the only good messaging app

Plus girls always make fun of you if you don't have blue bubbles
>>
>>57320117
Are girls in America THAT shallow? Jeez.
>>
>>57320087
Exactly.

I wish it were better, but for now SMS is the best we have simply because of compatibility.

Facebook messenger is insanely popular though, so are kik, viber, whatsapp, hangouts, imessage, etc. But then you'll need like 10 messaging apps on your phone which sucks.

>>57320147
No, just the attention whores who post online. Same as everywhere else.
>>
>>57320147
No, this is just a meme. I fucked plenty of girls without iMessage.
>>
>>57320170
>I fucked plenty of girls
he said online
>>
I fucking hate having imessage. I dont like people being able too see that ive read their message.
Especially my mom and my girlfriend. Sometimes i read messages and cant reply at that exact moment and they always throw a shit fit if i dont reply within a tenth of a second.
And i cant turn that shit off because my girlfriend will think its suspicious or something stupid like that.
I cant wait until i can afford a new android or windows phone so i can use that as an excuse.
I have no idea why people want to over complicate texting. Sms is fine by me.
>>
I just use SMS. Doesn't use my data, and I've got an unlimited number of them. Also, I can guarantee all of my friends are using it. Especially considering that none of my friends own an iPhone.

I do most of my instant messaging on my computer, where I have friends who use Skype, Steam, and Discord for the most part. Theoretically, I could use all three of these on my phone, but two of them tend to use an assload of bandwidth due to friends constantly sending pictures over them.
>>
>>57315389
yo, bernd here.
I can approve this. Maybe there are others germans from other parts of the country
>north-german
>mfw nobody of my friends using sms just whatsapp
>>
>>57319211
Straighttalk
>>
>>57320147
I've only met one that shallow.

>be in bed with her after sex, staring at the walls
>she's messing around on her phone
>she pulls closer to me, points at her screen
>look at this loser trying to talk to me, he doesn't have an iPhone
>I ask how can you tell?
>she says his bubbles are the wrong color
>she says he must be poor if he uses a google phone

Long story short, she cucked me with one of my friends but then I fucked her sister in the parking lot after a rave. The rest of the women I've met or been involved with don't notice bubble color or at least have never mentioned it.
>>
>>57320214
Just tell her that it annoys you. Please don't switch to Android just for this. It'll be a huge downgrade.

Aside from good file transfer, all the new iMessage memes are unnecessary I agree. The best new iMessage feature is the map integration. most of the new shit is just for 15 year olds.
>>
>>57320183
you do realize not everyone on /g/ is a virgin neckbeard right?
>>
>>57320260
You do realise that everyone who isn't should leave, right?

There's only one thing more pathetic than being a virgin on /g/, and that's being a non-virgin on /g/.
What the fuck are you doing here
>>
>>57320002

>Why do you shill shitty standards?
Because that standard happens to operate 100% independently of data plans. And if nothing else, using a format that discourages sending any type of data other than text will keep others from wasting your fucking bandwidth.

We get unlimited text messages included in our plans. Might as well use them.
>>
>>57320290
>What the fuck are you doing here
talking about technology
>>
File: WjGM0fw.jpg (569KB, 3440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
WjGM0fw.jpg
569KB, 3440x1440px
>>57320290
I am currently shitposting about technology and trying to avoid the reality that I've fallen out of love with my wife.

What are you doing here, Anon?
>>
>>57320308
>I've fallen out of love with my wife.
Rough. Just accept it. You'll only end up hurting her more.
>>
>>57320294
iMessage is unlimited too, though. If you don;t want people sending you images and other larger file types, ask them not to or stop talking to them, if it truly matters that much to you.
>>
>>57320316
I'll probably divorce her after she gets finished getting her Masters. I don't want to throw a wrench in that shit just because I couldn't keep it together.

She doesn't deserve that.
>>
>>57320249
Im only using an iphone in the first place because i broke the ever living fuck out of my old sony phone at work and cant afford a new one and refuse to get one under contract. My sister lent me her old iphone 5 and ended up just telling me to keep it since she has no use for it anyway.
Its not a bad phone but i dont think its anything special. All i do with it is text, browse the internet on break, and occasionally use the navigation.
I dont see any particular pluses or minuses with any platform seeing as i dont use any apps. Everything i do on my phones has always been in the browser since i dont have to keep updating a bunch of shit and get annoyed when said updates remove features or just break the app for a while until the next update comes.
I do like the form factor of this iphone a lot though. Looking at getting an xperia compact since i really enjoyed my last xperia.
>>
>>57320308
That's sad.
It's one thing to not have a life, but it's a completely different thing to have a life and completely ignore it to waste away here with the rest of the garbage.
>>
File: 1471131686122.png (220KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
1471131686122.png
220KB, 444x444px
>>57320342
Wow, that's incredibly kind of you.
>>
>>57320343
Xperia compact is really good, you won't do wrong with that. Do look at the 6s or se too, you might like those too. All three are just really good phones that do pretty much everything well and lack nothing significant (on iphones you can't make your homescreen cute, oh no) and the xperais become messy if you fucking with xda roms.
>>
>>57315302

All these scrub tier apps being called out. So far the best messaging app is Telegram hands down. Whatsapp and fb messenger are all shut tier compared to its glory
>>
File: 1475970913108.jpg (15KB, 294x296px) Image search: [Google]
1475970913108.jpg
15KB, 294x296px
>>57320009
>>
>>57315501

It doesnt support videos for example. Or voice messages.

>inb4 thats not messaging. Yes it is you fucking dimwit
>>
There needs to be some sort of universal open standard to replace SMS for modern needs, but in the mean time most people in the US unless they have iPhones just use FB messenger.
>>
Here in the Netherlands everyone uses whatsapp, even other iphone owners use it to message each other.
>>
>>57320218
>Discord
I wish Discord were more popular, how long do you think they're going to stick with being only for >muh games?
>>
And here I am in Malaysia where everybody uses whatsapp. Some use telegram. For kiddies they use wechat, viber and line.
>>
>>57315302
As if anyone on 4chan has friends to text.
>>
>>57320548
don't ask autistic people to understand you.

for that matter, stop asking autistic people to help you with social stuff.
>>
>want iPhone because of iMessage
>get an iPhone 7 after my Moto X breaks and utterly despise it, enjoy using a spare $50 Galaxy more despite it being painfully slow
>return the 7 but might buy a cheaper iPhone model
how do I get used to iOS? I'm tired of being treated like a second-class citizen when people text me and realize I'm an Android user.
>>
>>57315302
QKSMS
>>
I use Hangouts with a Google Voice number.
>>
>>57319222
>tfw living in Romania and paying 5$ for unlimited data
>>
>>57315302
Facebook messenger. it ain't so bad, it has a great contact list that goes beyond what Apple or Google provide, it integrates w text, has high quality audio and video calls, and best of all it's seperate from the Facebook app.
>>
>>57315302
In the UK, most contracts come with unlimited texts and minutes.
(Source: work in a phone store)
>>
>>57320905
>tfw living in a country with running water
>>
>>57315302
xmpp
>>
>>57315501
>I regularly exchange concatenated SMS of 3+ regular SMS (160 characters)

jesus, that sounds annoying. stop bothering your "friends"
>>
people use things other than the default messaging app that comes with the phone?
>>
google hangouts obviously
>>
>>57320515
What makes telegram so much better than the others and what if no one you know uses it?
>>
>>57318980
>Do you guys send messages with your phones often ?

Are you employed?
Over the age of 15?
Not a NEET?

Oh wait I'm on /g/...
>>
Signal for anything relevant.
Whatsapp to talk to illeterate shitters that can't change app
>>
>>57315444
Wew you disgusting Muricunt. Needing data to do the most basic shit within your area is retarded. Also, more people uses WhatsApp than you think.
>>
>>57320767
>Wanting a phone type because of a messaging app
U srs?
>>
>>57315341
Have you ever considered that not all of your friends and family are online 24/7?
>>
>download hot new meme messaging app
>3 friends have it
>other friends using older meme apps dispersed amongst a dozen different competing standards
>each requiring constant conection draining the shit out of your battery
>constant notifications exploding at you
>having to juggle them back and forth to keep up with different conversations
>constant updates for all these shitty apps

Yeah how about no. Ill stick to sms since anyone with a phone number can receive them.
>>
>>57320767
>second-class because of Android
Amerifats: not even once.

>>57315341
>not having unlimited SMS plan
>current year
What, do you not have a single company that offers cheap unlimited mobile plans?
>>
>>57316620
>But somehow SMS is still the most popular amongst them all

Because It doesn't require an internet connection, and even 2€ monthly subscription includes unlimited sms
>>
>>57315444
>There's so many messaging apps and it's incredibly fragmented. They are also all useless if no one you know uses them.
Some of those will just replace your standard SMS app and operate like iMessage (network messaging when able, SMS when unable, encrypted when able, group messaging when able, etc)

It's not anything to get confused about. Just pick up one of them and use it, and if you can convince others to use it as well then even better.
>>
>>57321658
no
>>
Literally everyone I know uses Facebook Messenger.

>don't need a Facebook account to use it
>can send and receive SMS if necessary
>Messenger Lite exists

It's botnet, but who cares, really.
>>
There isnt a single good reason to use anything other than facebook messenger
>>
There isnt a single good reason to use anything other than whatsapp
>>
>>57319050
Then use a different messaging service you dumb cunt.
>>
>>57315302

Disa.im since it does SMS, Facebook and WhatsApp and thus covers everyone I know with a single app.
>>
>>57320147
Nah they make fun of you from time to time for not having "muh blue bubbles." But if you have any game they'll still fuck you.
>>
>>57321036
I have business contacts which I sometimes need to exchange large amounts of text.
>>
>>57315393
Why send expensive sms when you can send email for free
>>
>>57321482
Unlimited mobile voice and data plan can still charge you noney per each sms you send. And there're some countries like Japan that only recently enabled sending sms across different major carriers.
>>
I have and iphone and i dont even use imessages for shit. No one in tacoland uses it.
Mostly whatsapp, fb messenger and telegram for the memers.
Also, depends on the carrier if they activate it or not
>>
>2016
>using SMS

I though america was first world
>>
>>57315569
yea grandpa do that
>>
that feel when no gf

you used to call me on my cell phone
>>
>>57316620
That's because French people are technophobic.
>>
>>57319065
I'm also in America and I don't know a single person who uses WhatsApp.
>>
>>57320334

>iMessage is unlimited too, though.
Uses bandwidth, not unlimited unless data plan is unlimited.

>>57326450

The words "first world" and "third world" refer not to wealth or infrastructure, but alliances during the cold war. Sweden is third world.
>>
>>57326367
pajeet please
>>
>>57315302
allo for normies
threema for privacy
slack for groups
>>
>>57315302
Telegram
>>
>>57315302
I use Google Allo you fuckwit.
>>
>>57327458
>Uses bandwidth, not unlimited unless data plan is unlimited.
It uses literally nothing. All internet messengers do.

Even then, there are many unlimited whatsapp plans here, just like SMS.

SMS is just shitty. Messages limited to a few characters without proper file sharing and groups. I cant believe people still use that. Its like using morse code compared to what we have.
>>
>>57327458
Do you seriously believe the traffic caused text messaging is anywhere relevant? Do you have a 3KiB data plan or what?
>>
>>57315302
Exclusively WhatsApp and Telegram
Get cucked US iMessage fags
>>
>>57316800
And you sound like a child.
>>
>>57315602
>>57315725
>>57315740
>>57315840
>>57326479
>>57315477
>>57316800
Millennials. Observe the mentality.
>>
>>57319843
>no longer has a character limit
By this do you mean you're not allowed to type more than the limit or does it break it into separate messages? Because the breaking is my problem with my stock SMS app
>>
>>57315302
Colloquy and a ZNC bouncer on iOS.
>>
>>57315537
This!
Everyone thinks they MUST have the latest and greatest bullshit. Most of it is for trendy faggots and hipsters
>>
>>57330408
Snapchat is great as an idea. Its execution is a horrible battery-draining, Data-harvesting mess.
>>
>not using LINE

it's like you and all your family and friends hate fun
>>
>>57315393
he's underage, don't feed him.
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.