[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite linux distro and why is it OpenSUSE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: opensuselogo.png (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
opensuselogo.png
76KB, 600x600px
What is your favorite linux distro and why is it OpenSUSE?
>>
>>57312114
b-but anon I don't think my favourite is OpenSUSE
>>
>>57312132
>2016
>Not using OpenSUSE
>>
but it's antergos
>>
>>57312274
>arch-based
The problem with that is arch linux doesn't have very well maintained repos, leaving many packages orphaned after a short while
>>
>>57312333
I just want a rolling release distro but Tumbleweed didn't work with my egpu.
>>
I dunno, I really wanted to like openSUSE but it was nothing but trouble for me. I could list all my problems with it, or I could just cut to the biggie: it is the only distro that has ever thrown me a kernel panic, and it did so twice. Once when I was zypper up'ing, and once when I was just minding my own business.

It is one of the few good KDE distros (where "good" means it doesn't randomly crash for no apparent reason every half hour) and YaST is pretty dope, but my experiences just left a sour taste in my mouth.
>>
>>57312114
I'm not a linux fan but I've come across enterprise software that only runs on OpenSUSE or redhat.
I liked being able to use OpenSUSE for free.
>>
>>57312380
Damn dude I feel awful for ya
I've had only one problem so far and that was my dumb ass fucked up a kernel module, but it only took about half an hour to fix

>>57312376
That also fucking sucks. What exactly was the issue, if you know?

>>57312399
The fact that it's got enterprise support has always been pretty dope
>>
>>57312426
>What exactly was the issue, if you know?
It only worked with one GPU, either the iGPU or the eGPU.

That means every time i docked or undocked my laptop i booted with a crashed X and had to re-edit the config files to use the right GPU then reboot.
>>
File: 1477853516368s.jpg (6KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477853516368s.jpg
6KB, 250x200px
its green and has a pepe on it
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
>>57312114
It's OpenSUSE because it's not.
>>
>>57312114
>openSUSE
I used SUSE back before it was openSuSE
>>
>>57312517
There are quite a few possible issues one might encounter with x, not just with OpenSUSE

>>57312548
>Frogposter
>/g/
>>>/b/
>>
>>57312114
Because of YAST / zypper
>>
>>57312608
Well Antergos managed to work with both fine, but stutters as hell for some reason as if you were using a computer with 100% disk and cpu usage.

I'm guessing it's a driver issue, will try again in the future whenever i get new hardware anyway.

I'll admit that i liked from openSUSE and its GUI installer how easy was to setup LVM with many encrypted partitions covered by multiple physical drives and unlocking them all with a single passphrase prompt though.
>>
>>57312736
Yeah, I think it's one of the most user-friendly to set up that I've ever come across. If i were to convert a windows user to GNU/Linux, I'd probably start them off with OpenSUSE and a copy of Linux+
>>
File: chameleon-03.jpg (146KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
chameleon-03.jpg
146KB, 960x642px
>>57312114
OpenSUSE just rocks and chameleons are cute as fuck
>>
>>57312800
Cool lizard.
Can you get them in any other colors?
>>
File: chameleon-09.jpg (76KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
chameleon-09.jpg
76KB, 900x600px
>>57312857
Sure thing, they change their colors if they want
>>
>>57312114
Will be leap stable enough?
>>
>>57312918
I use leap, and all instability I've had with it ended up being caused by me
>>
it's pretty cool, but i'm still trying to wrap my head around how it works.

i'm running tumbleweed and wanted mp4 support in vlc and firefox. following what some forum posts said, I added the Packman repo and installed the desired codecs. unfortunately it didn't work and i had to switch the system repo to Packman too (zypper -dup) before I was able to get mp4 support in firefox.

i also wanted to setup jack and route pulseaudio output into a jack sink. unfortunately, just selecting pulseaudio in yast isn't enough, you also have to install some pulseaudio utilities that, i guess, are optional dependencies?

maybe most of my confusion is coming from the fact that i'm not used to openSUSE or xfce, so most of the configuration settings i'm used to aren't in the same place they usually are?

other than that, it's pretty awesome. it's a rolling-release distro with a simple installer and is compatible with all my peripherals right outside of the box.
>>
>>57312114
When I install tumbleweed via Virtualbox I can't get X to start and the screen flickers like a bitch and it won't even let you type. Something is really messed up with frame buffers even after vbox guest additions.
>>
>>57312114
it's openSUSE. stop trying to spread the wrong spelling
>>
>>57312114
My favorite is Fedora, but openSUSE is a close second.
>>
File: 1476497451681.gif (4MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476497451681.gif
4MB, 300x300px
>>57313296
At least you got guest tools installed. I can never get them installed so I get shit performance in every distro.
>>
File: 1434829198042-1.gif (1MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1434829198042-1.gif
1MB, 300x168px
>>57312592
That was my first distro.
>>
>>57313470
I'm definitely not blaming suse, vbox is a pile of dogshit but it's the best I have on windows right now.
>>
>>57312981
What did you do with it?
>>
>>57313526
I use VMWare and it sucks dick for guest tools. It usually doesn't work and their manual is outdated.
>>
I like my distro the most and you all can't do shit against it.
>>
>>57313208
you don't switch system packages to packman, that's telling your system you trust packman more than you trust official repo. the only packages you actually need from packman to get multimedia files to play are libavcodec57, gstreamer-plugins-bad (+orig) and gstreamer-plugins-ugly (+orig)

and you upgrade TW with zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change so it preserves the hand picked packages from other repos
>>
>>57314394
is there a specific command to revert this? or should I just run zypper -DUP again and point it to the openSUSE OSS repo?
>>
>>57314853
if you installed / on BTRFS partition then you can use snapper to revert to an earlier snapshot

otherwise, you can do it from gui, same way you switched packages to packman. after that, zypper in --repo Packman libavcodec75 gstreamer-plugins...

This might be of use
https://en.opensuse.org/images/1/17/Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.