[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IBM Says Macs Are Up to $543 Less Expensive Than PCs Over Ti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 22

File: maclineup-800x377.jpg (71KB, 800x377px) Image search: [Google]
maclineup-800x377.jpg
71KB, 800x377px
IBM Says Macs Are Up to $543 Less Expensive Than PCs Over Time

>But isn't it expensive, and doesn't it overload IT? No. IBM found that not only do PCs drive twice the amount of support calls, they're also three times more expensive. That's right, depending on the model, IBM is saving anywhere from $273 - $543 per Mac compared to a PC, over a four-year lifespan. "And this reflects the best pricing we've ever gotten from Microsoft," Previn said. Multiply that number by the 100,000+ Macs IBM expects to have deployed by the end of the year, and we're talking some serious savings.

https://www.jamf.com/blog/debate-over-ibm-confirms-that-macs-are-535-less-expensive-than-pcs/
>>
>>57168242
wow i have a mac i am good
>>
>>57168242
I remember the days when IBM was synonymous with PC.
>>
This is a place for /v/ to act like they know things and rice Linux. Your objective real world information doesn't matter. Only memes and image macros matter here.
>>
>>57168262
I remember when the CEO of Apple didn't have worked for IBM
>>
>>57168242
How do they figure that?

PC's cost less outright, what kind of bullshit are they trying to pull with this.
>>
>>57168288
They took the costs of each and used their collective computing power to figure out which number was higher and/or lower.
>>
>>57168288
It's called TCO and it includes more than the initial layout. Now go back to ricing Arch.
>>
>>57168288

Machines need servicing, they need time devoted to them if something happens.
>>
For the average consumer who can't troubleshoot their own issues, they pay out the ass for tech support for the lifespan of their equipment.

There are also still people in this day and age that are on XP who refuse to upgrade and will spend hundreds of dollars each year to keep their relic alive.

Meanwhile, Macbooks from 2008 are still worth $300 and just recently became obsolete in terms of OS X updates with the introduction of Sierra.

Apple just makes a better product that lasts.
>>
>>57168242
So Macs are for poor people who cannot afford Windows?
>>
>>57168411
it's like the difference between taking a loan out and paying for something outright. paying outright is always cheaper in the long run. the interest you'll pay on a loan means you'll pay more ultimately, but if you're too poor to scrounge up the money at the outset then a loan with a small down payment is the best you can do
>>
>>57168242
Even if this was true, let me make a simple point of how retarded Macfags are.

>Macfags usually buy every new major product release

For example, a Macfag who bought a Macbook Pro later bought a Macbook Pro Retina a year-few years later, then will buy the new Macbook Pro coming out this autumn.

Explain how that's less expensive.
>protip: it's not

And that's adding to the fact that Apple products are initially over-expensive compared to non-Apple hardware.
>>
>>57168427
not the OP, but you don't have to behave like other people that buy the same product that you buy. you could buy a macbook and then not buy every new major product release.

it's surprising that your default assumption is that you would need to follow the pack like a lemming or something.
>>
>>57168424
Ah, so like being poor and paying $150/month for 2 years for the latest Applephone, vs being wealthy and outright buying a Galaxy S7!
>>
>>57168443
>you don't have to behave like other people that buy the same product that you buy

Yeah, but as a Macfag, you won't be honest admit that you bought 3 Macbooks the past 5-10 years which cost you over $5000 total.
>>
>>57168288

IBM obviously wants Applel to buy them.
>>
How much do you think Tim Cook paid IBM to shill their wares?
>>
>>57168443
I forgot to mention the fact that Apple products are essentially status symbols (for what I have no idea, probably the fact that they're overpriced proves you can afford it). So they are buying it in a way like they would fashion accessories, always needing to keep up with the Joneses and buy the new models.
>>
>>57168459
You actually saved a gorillion dollars.
>>
>>57168427
IBM is saving money in support costs. Read the article, they save money because they need only 4 admins for 90,000 macs. That's saving them money in payroll costs.
>>
>>57168469
Compare that, with the clickbait title:

"Debate over: IBM confirms that Macs are $535 less expensive than PCs"
>>
>>57168458
sure, except this article is saying that if you keep all else equal - for instance buying x vs buying y (not buying x vs financing y), then one is cheaper than the other.

given that apple continues to offer iOS directly to the iPhone 5, a phone that came out 4 years ago, and google has stopped offering android updates for many of their elevated privilege status phones (e.g. the Google Edition line) from around the same time, it seems like you would be forced into upgrading an android device sooner unless you were willing to invest some of your own time finding, installing, and ultimately managing a custom ROM from some third party. either option seems like a cost at least worth factoring in (i won't claim to know what your time is worth, so maybe the time isn't that big a deal)
>>
>>57168427

>Explain how that's less expensive.

They're not a business who aims to maximize profits. They are an individual spending their own money you dumb fuck. MacBooks retain 85% of their original value, meaning you can have the latest Apple offering for a few hundred dollars every few years. Forever. You buy into this one time and it takes care of you from then on.
>>
>>57168491
>They're not a business who aims to maximize profits.

This is called denial.
>>
>>57168459

>people just buy 3 laptops without selling the old ones first

Are you 11?
>>
File: 1476754937860.jpg (13KB, 167x175px) Image search: [Google]
1476754937860.jpg
13KB, 167x175px
>>57168377
>Apple just makes a better product that lasts.
>>
>>57168459
i'm not a macfag. i just don't like when brand zealots make my camp look retarded by using straw man arguments that an elementary school kid could see through.

>>57168466
that's a fair point, but the rMBP looks exactly the same as it did when it was announced like 5 years ago. it's not a very effective signaling tool if it doesn't differentiate between a 5-year-old device and one that someone bought yesterday.
>>
>>57168491
>They're not a business who aims to maximize profits.

Then what's your fucking point in posting that article you moron. You're arguing that Macs save you money, then when shown that it doesn't actually, you criticise the method of argumentation you initially started.

Macfags will defend they're overpriced products to the death.
>>
>>57168466

This kind of delusional bullshit only exists on /g/. Nobody sees these as fucking status symbols other than 3rd worlders who can't even afford Apple's fucking charging adapters. I'm so sick of you dumb poorfags shitting up this board, calling anything you personally can't afford 'LE STATUS SYMBLEL'. The fact that you ate food today is a status symbol among those below you, stupid fuck.
>>
Im wondering if I should switch to Mac too
Windows is botnet and you cant do anything but rice your anime desktop on Leenux

plus I dont care about games anymore
Have I truly become intelligent enough for Mac, /g/?
>>
>>57168489
>sure, except this article is saying that if you keep all else equal then one is cheaper than the other
If we keep all other factors equal, then corporate Apple support is cheaper than Windows support over the span of 4 years, by $273 - $543 per device.

Alright.

Now:

Note the difference?
>>
>>57168469

While telling their customers who outsource IT to them how many dozens of heads they need to run their enterprises.
>>
>>57168541
They are a status symbol, if you have anything other than a Samsung or an Apple phone you are looked down upon as a poorfag.
>>
>>57168509
Has no purpose in the argument.
>>
>>57168483
It's not clickbait. Macs with jamf management software brings down the cost of ownership per seat for macs. Macs literally have a lower TCO compared to Windows.
>>
>>57168359
Yes, even with the servicing costs and program costs, PC is still far below the price of a apple machine.

PS: Not everyone on /g/ uses linux, you assuming asshole.
>>
>>57168491
i'm >>57168523 so i'm not being a frothing zealot for either side but apparently that makes me indistinguishable from a macfag, but you need to not be a retarded zealot yourself. of course apple is a business that aims to maximize profits. that's literally what all profit-seeking corporations are. apple, google, microsoft, samsung, all of them.

you can argue that some of them take different approaches at maximizing profit (for instance, apple isn't in the advertising game the way google is), and that this different approach leads to different motivations, but don't act like a naive idiot.
>>
>>57168542
Macs are for poor people who cannot afford Windows. If you cannot afford Windows, you should try a Mac.
>>
>>57168547
>corporate Apple support
Good joke.
>>
>>57168553

By the same kind of retard that lets Amy Schumer and Ke$ha tell them how to vote. Fuck those idiots. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, let alone give a single fuck about their opinion on anything ever.
>>
>>57168542
If I didn't care about games I would go Mac, so yes.

That said, Windows for desktop and Mac for laptop. Dock a Mac laptop for your main rig. If you don't need the extra power, just doesn't make sense to go desktop, especially since, in my opinion, self-built and Windows is far superior to Mac when it comes to desktops whereas Mac laptops are far superior.
>>
>>57168542
if you can afford a mac outright, buy a mac.
if you can't, then buy a windows PC and look forward to incremental costs over time that will eventually overtake the cost of ownership of a mac.

that's literally what this whole thread and Falcon and others' butthurt is about.
>>
>>57168560
The article and the earlier article in computerworld is disputing what you think.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2998315/apple-mac/every-mac-we-buy-is-making-and-saving-ibm-money-ibm.html
>>
>>57168582
That's bullshit though.
Im gonna make a hackintosh out of my gaming rig and it'll be cheap AND powerful.
>>
>>57168427
Wow dude! Haha typical dumb Apple fanboys always buying shit when it isn't even obsolete yet right? *pulls out nokia dumbphone and old dusty chinkpad from 2003* haha yep these babies get 3 week long battery life, which makes me so much better than those who use Apple computers. look at all the money I'm saving! I'm saving money on laptops, cellphones, and condoms all at once! fucking Mac fags wish they could save as much as I do. *windows 95 boots on my chinkpad finally* ahhh yes a true machine, with the power of this baby I can complete three (3) vigorous Google searches in 5 short minutes! haha it may have a shit screen resolution and a mushy keyboard but at least it has a mouse nipple! do you think this is what real nipples feel like? *starts to text girl from my computer science class who's number I wrote down when she was saying it to someone else* I think I might just find out! haha yep and all of this is thanks to the money I save thanks to my old shitty laptop and phone! delete system 32 of your life, Macfags!!!
>>
>>57168541
>more denial
>more butthurt

It's not about being poor, it's about maximizing the money spent on computers. The reality is that there is better hardware that's actually a fraction of Apple hardware price. And the better software is free.

Take that large Apple out of your ass and google the better specs on the cheaper hardware on products like Dell XPS, Compaq, HP, and even foreign companies.
>>
>>57168582
Heh, the debate is over. Macs are for poor people who cannot afford Windows.

Source:
>>
>>57168507

>This is called denial

Yes. I'm denying that an average individual is not acting like a corporation over money control. Are you disagreeing with this, or did you just learn the word 'denial' today and don't know how to use it?

>>57168536

>Then what's your fucking point in posting that article

Direct your sperg-rage elsewhere you cunt, I'm not the fucking OP. What's it like to think multiple people are the same person then get angry when they appear to contradict themselves. I, in this thread, never said SHIT about saving money, all I talked about is retaining resale value. That is all.

You're literally too dumb to even understand a 4chan thread. Like all foaming Apple haters you're frustrated because you don't even know what's happening.
>>
>>57168574
a hackintosh is really easy to get going if you're still at the stage of deciding which components to buy, and right now there's no operating system that handles display pixel scaling as well as OS X does (thanks to the rMBP announcement in 2011).

if you
- expect to get a 4k monitor
- don't mind assembling your desktop
- don't game much/at all
- are buying components now or in the future (or if by some chance your components are all compatible)

then go for it
>>
>there are people who don't already have falcon filtered
top kek
>>
>>57168242
>Mac
Found your problem.
>>
File: archey.png (126KB, 1514x1156px) Image search: [Google]
archey.png
126KB, 1514x1156px
>>57168592
sure, a hackintosh is a good option if you're in a position to buy right now. it's what i'm running. nothing beats OS X's handling of high pixel density displays (or "retina" if you like buzzwordy terms)
>>
>>57168618
Yeah, it's definitely easier than it's been before, but I think that, if you're already going Mac, you might as well take advantage of how great the laptops are. And, in the absence of needing extra power for gaming, why not? It's certainly the way that I would go, at least.
>>
>>57168605
>Yes. I'm denying that an average individual is not acting like a corporation over money control.

And there we have it, the typical Macfag not caring about how much money he spends on inferior computers. It's the reason you can't understand why Apple products are a waste of money and then try to justify it with bullshit like the OP trying to claim spending more money saves you money. I can't even.
>>
>>57168242
>ibm discovers brand new macs less than a year old have less problems than 5 year old end of line pcs

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES
>>
>>57168562

>of course apple is a business that aims to maximize profits.

I.. was not talking about Apple as a company. I just, holy fucking shit, can you read?

>THEY ARE AN INDIVIDUAL SPENDING THEIR OWN MONEY
>THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT PROFITS BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT A BUSINESS

Seriously and genuinely from the bottom of my heart, kill yourself. The word 'retarded' loses its power in times like this with people like you. You're too dumb to even insult.
>>
>>57168427
But I still use my five-year old macbook pro and it runs fine. Runs excellently now actually, seeing as I recently got an SSD and some more ram for it. I don't think I'll upgrade for a few years yet - why would I?
>>
>>57168663
I bet you're planning to buy the new Macbook Pros coming out this month too. You won't be honest and admit ITT though.
>>
>>57168643
>fagintosh
>>
>>57168601

>google the better specs on the cheaper hardware on products like Dell XPS, Compaq, HP, and even foreign companies.

This is about the time where the logic of the Winbabby emerges. A computer for an average person is not a fucking Bitcoin mining rig. Specs do NOT matter when comparing Winshit laptops to Macs, that much anyway. A computer is an experience, MacOS tailored to the hardware alone is worth multiples more than any Windows laptop. You will never know those levels of refinement in Windows land. There is so much more past the fucking spec shit concering a computer but you're an autistic /v/tard who's sole focus is frame rates for childish faggot zombie shooting games or whatever you handicaps play.

When you're over 25 you may understand.
>>
>>57168646
that's fair. i don't game very much or at all, so the major appeal that i see in windows (gaming) was nullified, and i have a pair of 24" 4k monitors. windows is just now getting usable at very high pixel densities like this (essentially doubling what you're used to), and a fair amount of third party software doesn't seem to have caught up yet. and what's worse, i've seen some really awful glitches when you plug in multiple monitors of differing pixel densities.

so i ended up sticking with OS X. and if you have a rMBP (as i do) then you can use a bit of software called teleport that allows you to treat several OS X computers as extended desktops of one another (which means i don't have to drive several 4k monitors from my laptop). Synergy works as well and is cross-platform, but a lot of obscure things like trackpad gestures and whatnot don't work in synergy, but they do in teleport. since both are open source it's confusing why they haven't decided to just merge projects or something (or at least default to the teleport stack when the machines involved are all running OS X).

anyway, i digress. gaming is a pretty clear on/off switch. if you want to game, you're almost definitely better off with windows. i haven't had a miserable experience gaming through steam, but it's not even in my top 10 uses of my hackintosh, so my expectations are low.
>>
>>57168652
i just dropped into the conversation because you used a vague "they" and it seemed like you were talking about apple. stop freaking out
>>
File: 1463332995033.jpg (16KB, 205x196px) Image search: [Google]
1463332995033.jpg
16KB, 205x196px
>>57168688
>A computer is an experience,

This is what mactoddlers actually believe.
>>
>>57168688
You missed adding "magical" and "intuitive" to your buzzword soup, friend.
>>
>>57168673
I actuallt enjoy keeping tech around for as long as possible. I still use my Latitude D410 and my Thinkpad T41. The main problem with those computers were they truly were obsolete for some of the tasks I was doing. My current mac laptop still handles me running multiple virtual machines, IDEs, DAWS, etc. When it stops doing what I need it to do I'll find another use for it and get a different primary machine
>>
>>57168643
can MacOS run a 144hz monitor?
I tried using it in a VM and the compiler was running awfully, choppy as fuck, could have been just the VM though.
>>
File: 1474115987190.png (457KB, 696x938px) Image search: [Google]
1474115987190.png
457KB, 696x938px
>>57168690
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/

And take your starbucks joke of a homosexual fruit OS with you.
>>
jamf didn't hire me because im too stupid
>>
>>57168728
Everybody relevant to computer science uses a Mac
even Linus Torvalds does

coincidence?
>>
>>57168673
I do believe, however, that there are certainly use-cases for which a mac, even with a custom configuration, isn't the right choice for some consumers. This is why we have a diverse market
>>
>>57168735
Don't forget the guy who created Gentoo uses a Macbook with OSX.
>>
File: 1463977565173.jpg (114KB, 515x305px) Image search: [Google]
1463977565173.jpg
114KB, 515x305px
>>57168735
Whatever you say Pajeet.
>>
>>57168690
Yeah, exactly. And that's very true about the pixel density stuff.

During around 3/4 of my undergrad my main computer was an early 2008 MBP (last before unibody). It's great having an all-in-one thing where you always have your main computer with you. But now I have a desktop I built myself and runs Windows. Since I game, it's easily the best choice for me. I dual-booted Windows in college and was able to play everything I wanted on my Mac, but it's far nicer having it all together.

Also, Mac trackpads and gestures are top notch. Great shit.
>>
After not paying attention to mobile development ever, I learned how one needs an apple product (OSX) to compile iOS phone programs. For the first time in my life, I am considering the purchase of a modern apple computer. It is unpleasant. I think a mac mini is the least painful of my options barring a hackintosh?
>>
>>57168767
why not just hackintosh?
or run it through a VM
>>
>>57168688
I wish this was bait.
>>
>>57168752
Linux has
>no drivers
>>
>>57168771
>barring a hackintosh
I'm working with Xamarin aka C# and I've read conflicting opinions about compiling within a VM.
>>
>>57168752
MACTODDLERS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>57168728
i see this complaint occasionally and every time i encourage you or whomever else to either stop being a whiny little bitch and report the thread OR hide the thread and move on with your life. this isn't complicated. you don't need to voice your disapproval of the fact that i don't play many video games or whatever.

posting that you don't think i belong on /g/ is literally asking for whatever misery you're experiencing right now. you could report the post/thread or hide it or just ignore it, but actively engaging with it is just unhealthy.

if anybody is sympathetic toward you, they also need help.

>>57168716
i've never tried, but i don't see why not. i don't know of any 4k monitors that do 144Hz (or even 120Hz (and i don't think DP 1.2 even supports it, which is the best my video card has to offer)), so i couldn't really test it myself, sorry.

i mostly just code and read on these monitors, and when most of the movement on the screen is just text and a blinking cursor, you find that even 30Hz isn't that hellish (although i got the video card and these monitors specifically to ensure i got 60Hz)
>>
File: 1447137168673.png (275KB, 652x378px) Image search: [Google]
1447137168673.png
275KB, 652x378px
>>57168799
Apple mactoddlerOS Sierra (TM) STILL has this problem. :^)
>>
>>57168815
Click n' drool winbabby has to use a GUI in UNIX.
>>
>>57168815
oh i wasn't referring to your images. i have no idea what these things are talking about. if i want to delete something i just use `rm` because i'm not a winbaby.
>>
>>57168789
well, those were your only options that arent painful

All Macs have shittier hardware at twice the price so if you buy something cheap like a Mac Mini you're getting especially shittier hardware. At least try to get an older high end mac mini on ebay.
>>
I know it's /g/ and shitposting and stuff, but still
>people get this assblasted about people preferring a certain OS

Holy shit, guys.

Sent from my Windows Botnet (TM).
>>
>>57168855
>sent from my iFag
>>
>>57168242
IBM is a bunch of fucktards that have lost their way now.

Virginia Rometty and Sam Palmisano can go FUCK themselves.

They're making IBM a fucking service provider instead of providing the M in IBM, for fucks sake.

Not only that, but they're gonna be shit at that too, since they're outsourcing their shit to Pajeets.
>>
>>57168815
Christ Apple is a fucking joke.
>>
>>57168242
Does this mean that Macs are actually for poorfags and PC's are the true patrician's choice?
>>
>>57168749
False. The head of gentoo is not the guy who created gentoo (the guy who created gentoo created and moved to funtoo). The head of gentoo is a nobody.
>>
>>57168424
> not having an interest rate below the rate of inflation
Do you even monies?
>>
Why are the Macfags ITT so angry about their overpriced fisher price toys?

PCs are only expensive if you're an idiot who downloads viruses and runs to geek squad

>>57168263
>objective

Lel
>>
>>57168881
NOBODY USES MAC

APPLEFAGS BTFO
>>
>>57168881
but he never said the Head of Gentoo you fucking retard.
>>
File: 1474773721209.jpg (863KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1474773721209.jpg
863KB, 1536x2048px
>>57168883
>Why are the Macfags ITT so angry about their overpriced fisher price toys?
>
>PCs are only expensive if you're an idiot who downloads viruses and runs to geek squad

thistbqhwyfamalam
>>
>>57168598
Why are you so offended just because you buy every new thing? There's nothing inherently wrong with being a consumer whore.
>>
File: 1474965891567.png (282KB, 491x491px) Image search: [Google]
1474965891567.png
282KB, 491x491px
>>57168906
>There's nothing inherently wrong with being a consumer whore.
>>
>>57168883
>overpriced
Not according to IBM, read the thread.
>>
>>57168912
>IBM

Opinion discarded.
>>
File: 1462345769008.jpg (419KB, 1920x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1462345769008.jpg
419KB, 1920x1018px
99.99999% OF THE WORLD SAYS PCS ARE LESS EXPENSIVE THAN MACS OVER TIME

>we voted with our dollars

http://www.mactards.on.suicidewatch.gg
>>
>>57168560
> PS: Not everyone on /g/ uses linux, you assuming asshole.
Neo-/g/
>>
>>57168941
/thread
>>
>>57168903
>dat image

lel
>>
>>57168895
Inbred or just pretending?
>>
>>57168941
this desu senpai
>>
File: ibm.jpg (198KB, 881x422px) Image search: [Google]
ibm.jpg
198KB, 881x422px
>>57168864
> the M in IBM

Manchines?
>>
>>57168973
Maintenance and initial setup. At IBM they literally give the user a shrink wrapped mac and tell them to go to the self-serve website that then sets up all the software and configuration of the device. Same as with iDevices. 4 people manage like 100,000 devices. Are you illiterate?
>>
File: 1423576374015.jpg (67KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1423576374015.jpg
67KB, 500x375px
>>57168799
Gbtleddit
>>
>>57168968
You don't know the difference between heading and organization and creating one?

stop posting.
>>
>>57169060
Inbred it is, huh. Too bad.
>>
>>57168941
holy shit
>>
>>57169070
English as second language? too bad.
>>
>>57169006
Yes.

They've lost their way.
>>
>>57168242
IBM is a meme company now. Serious business is done on Ubuntu, ala Google.
>>
>>57169097
Google uses a shit ton of macs. They even banned Windows
>>
>>57168242
>mfw macshits stop calling because they never get any help anyway
:^)
>>
>>57168242
They can use that money to buy another iPhone the following year.
>>
I use a mac and this makes me feel good about my very expensive computer. Thanks IBM!
>>
I can see how IBM is saving money with Macs. For starters, IBM doesn't support macs. Macs have to be sent to Apple Care for service. Second, IBM uses custom Windows and Red Hat images for their laptops. Those images have to be maintained and updated, which costs money. Since the images are custom, they are not as stable. Because they are not stable, IT staff is needed for support. On the other hand, Macs use vanilla osx where if any problems occur, the laptop is sent to Apple Care. No staff needed.

t. IBM employee

>>57168864
You have no idea what you're talking about. IBM was making shit on their hardware. Everyone wants services now. IBM adapted to the changing market, though they were really slow to do so. Now they're trying to play catch up.
>>
>>57169173
>expensive
>he doesn't know about refund
Sad world you live in.
>>
>>57169195
tell us more about the jamf self service shit.
>>
>>57169218
Because Apple is a fucking joke and has zero enterprise support, so anyone wanting macs have to use hacky 3rd party trash.
>>
>>57169195
> t. IBM employee
So, how does it feel being one of 15 different, useless managers?

Fuck off, Indian Bowel Movement shill. Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM, they were just retarded with their shit.
>>
>>57169232
how is it hacky? Does it not work? how does it not work? what happens if it doesn't install a program you need?
>>
>>57169218
Couldn't tell you. I only know of one instance where a Mac needed service. They system needed a fresh install because the previous owner left the company. The laptop had to be sent to Apple Care.

>>57169233
Angry much? I'm not a manager, but I know where you're coming from. In fact I gave my notice last week.
>>
>>57169287
>They system needed a fresh install because the previous owner left the company. The laptop had to be sent to Apple Care
Just stop posting you faggot.
>>
>>57169195
> You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>> implying
> IBM was making shit on their hardware.
They were in a three-year slump. That doesn't mean that they have to sell their entire x86 sector to Lelnovo, and for a loss, at that.

> Everyone wants services now.
So that's why Lelnovo is so unsuccessful?

> IBM adapted to the changing market, though they were really slow to do so.
What changing market?

People have always needed workstations and servers.

> Now they're trying to play catch up.
Whatever, fag.

They shouldn't have sold off their x86 line if they have to resort to playing "catch up".
>>
>>57169287
>system needed a fresh install because the previous owner left the company. The laptop had to be sent to Apple Care.
there has to be some extenuating circumstance that prevented you from wiping the machine on your own, or you're telling me that you're maybe the most incompetent person on the planet.
>>
>>57169287
> Angry much?
Yeah I am.

Fuck Lelnovo, and fuck IBM. They should've never sold their shit.

> I'm not a manager, but I know where you're coming from. In fact I gave my notice last week.
Yep. There's a reason it's called Idiots Become Managers, too.

Details?
>>
Keep in mind that only applies to Business, not regular consumers.

>IBM found that not only do PCs drive twice the amount of support calls, they're also three times more expensive.

That's because Windows does not have good support, so IBM has to create Hardware and Software team that costs money. IBM are pennies shit bastards anyway. Outsource of their IT department to India.

Cost of Window is irrelevant because Mac has no current support for Exchange , or Active DIrectory. Active DIrectory is literally has the power to manage 1,000 employees's permission rights at once. .

Windows has literally exclusive software that doesn't exist on a Mac. Even Iphones, which dominate the enterprise market uses Exchange servers on their iphone. Mac are only good as workstation machine, noting else.
>>
>>57169303
Yeah. It wasn't my system. It's easy to wipe a filesystem.

>>57169295
I can't tell you the reason for selling their desktop and laptop product line, other than low profits. My coworker told me all about it last year but the details escape me right now.

>What changing market?
Everyone wanting services. No one wants on-prem hardware anymore. It's expensive to maintain.

>> Now they're trying to play catch up.
>Whatever, fag.
Ever hear of how they tried to enter the cloud market? They were late to the party so they bought SoftLayer. Such a massive fuckup.

>>57169331
That's a new one . . . gotta tell my coworkers that one.

>Details
Long story short, mandatory relocations are happening within IBM. IBM is trying to reduce their number of sites and bring workers back into the office instead of working remote. My work site will be shutdown in 2018 or 2020 (I forget the date). My organization head (3rd line manager at the time) decided to pull the trigger sooner than later and is having everyone relocate nowish (Though the deadline date keeps getting pushed back).
>>
>>57168427
Bought a pc and a Mac Mini in 2011 and a MacBook in 2014. All work as they did day one, and I have no intention on upgrading any of them.
>>
>>57168288
Because mac uses better hardware xenon and ecc ram have both error checkers. You would be able to build a pc with same specs because you cant use xenon with windows
>>
>>57169569
>xenon
Xeon
>you cant use [Xeon] with windows
Yes you can, you fucking moron
>>
>>57169474
> I can't tell you the reason for selling their desktop and laptop product line, other than low profits. My coworker told me all about it last year but the details escape me right now.
Don't worry, I'll try to tell you the jist of it.

Basically, IBM was losing several million dollars over the course of three years - 2003-2006, I believe.

Instead of doing something that wasn't retarded, they decided to sell their entire x86 line over to Lelnovo, AT A LOSS. Sam Palmisano was the CEO then, and he can go fuck himself. IBM still has him on retainer and pays him a few thousand dollars per hour for consulting or whatever.

> Everyone wanting services. No one wants on-prem hardware anymore. It's expensive to maintain.
Oh really?

So Lelnovo isn't doing well with their BladeCenters, ThinkServers, ThinkPads, and ThinkStations (used to be known as IntelliStations), all IBM assets?

Hitachi isn't doing well with their hard drives, some of the best in the business (IBM sold their hard drive line to Hitachi sometime in the 1990s-2000s - I think Louis Gerstner was the CEO at the time)?

Dell and HP aren't doing well with their respective Servers?

They should've just short-term complimentary support for their shit, and long-term support for a price for their devices, sort of like what BlackBerry's doing.

> Ever hear of how they tried to enter the cloud market? They were late to the party so they bought SoftLayer. Such a massive fuckup.
I think I may have read about it, but I don't remember. Please explain?

> That's a new one . . . gotta tell my coworkers that one.
Heh heh, you've never heard that one?
Cool.

> Long story short, mandatory relocations are happening within IBM. IBM is trying to reduce their number of sites and bring workers back into the office instead of working remote.
What does that mean?
>>
>>57169474
> My work site will be shutdown in 2018 or 2020 (I forget the date). My organization head (3rd line manager at the time) decided to pull the trigger sooner than later and is having everyone relocate nowish (Though the deadline date keeps getting pushed back).
Fucking sucks. What do you do at your site?

>>57169569
> implying
I can use Windows Server 2008 R2 with my Xeon RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>57168288
Fewer support calls were made by IBM's Mac users than Windows users.
>>
>>57169668
I would certainly hope so. They shouldn't even be working there if they need to call up support to figure out how to update facebook on their facebook machine.
>>
>>57169668
Per number of users? It is like 9:1 for Windows owners compared to Apple.
>>
File: 1460692484027.jpg (43KB, 921x606px) Image search: [Google]
1460692484027.jpg
43KB, 921x606px
>>57169668
>give a bunch of technical people macs and tell them have at it
>give everyone else including 50 year old ladies in accounting PCs
>wonder why PCs get more support calls

This entire stunt is some upper management cunt's desperate attempt at justifying wasting millions in IBM's IT budget on macshit.
>>
>>57169708
The article's light on detail.

I could be that early volunteers for Mac switch were hardcore macfags, and already knew how to do everything on a Mac.

You'd only get a meaningful number if they had half the people on Macs, half the people on Windows, and the breakdown of the user demographic (developers, researchers, non-tech people) matched up at least roughly.
>>
>>57169736
yep
>>
>>57168242
what kind of retard wrote that article ? it's about windows vs osx, not pc vs pcs build by apple... erm pc vs mac
>>
>>57168288
They are calculating these averages on normie behavior patterns, people who need a "professional" to install Anti-virus and do disk partitioning. These idiots spends hundreds of dollars on minor things.

A power user rarely needs outside help, unless you have a laptop and you need to send it for annual maintenance and cleaning. IBM is wrong with their conclusion, rather their stupid procurement manager is justifying the buyer's remorse and not trying to look stupid by presenting skewed research to promote Apple.
>>
>>57168288
Support call fees. When IBM compared prices at the end of the year they found that they were saving money since less staff needed technical support

In other words, mac was simpler to use and apparently stupid people struggle when they're not using baby block simulator PCs
>>
>>57169635
>What does that mean?
"We are closing down this site, our organization will be the first to leave to show an example. Here is the relocation package we are offering you. Where are we relocating your job? San Jose. Will you get a pay increase for the major hike in cost of living? lolno. Dont want the package? Your last day at IBM is in 90 days."

Needless to say, only about 3 out of 20 offered the relocation package within my organization (US portion only . . . Our org had ~120 persons in the US) accepted the relocation package. Most of those folks were working directly out of my office.

Thanks for the details. Also, I dont know much about how well Lenovo or other hardware companies are doing with their server hardware sells. I'm not that knowledgeable. I only know what I hear from coworkers. I'm only a lowly intern. My mentor kept me away from all the bullshit and had me work.

>>57169655
I'm an intern actually. Been interning for over two years. I do automation development (and maintain web portal that hosts the tools), platform support, and system administration.
>>
>>57169737
very strictly speaking it would be sufficient if they just got a pair of representative samples and then assigned one of those groups to use macs. forcing everyone at IBM to be part of an experiment to determine whether everyone at IBM should use A or B completely misses the point of statistical sampling.

but then you run into other issues that nitpicky assholes will bring up. like is IBM representative of other groups - developers in general, or workers in general, or people in general? very likely the answer is no to all of those questions. IBM has a certain corporate culture and it would be pretty shocking if the workforce at IBM and the workforce even at a similarly massive tech company like MS, Oracle, etc... were interchangeable. so even the closest analogs to IBM wouldn't really match up.

but that doesn't make this useless. it just means that you should take this all with a grain of salt, and don't overpromise the generalizability of this "study".

that being said, you'd be amazed at how much your personal preference influences work output. if someone forced you to use a top of the line laptop that was just annoying as fuck for you personally, then it wouldn't really matter that you were saving $500 over 4 years. your work output over 4 years would suffer by a fuck of a lot more than $500.

i use a rMBP so a cynic would assume that my motivation is to tout this story as a success, but the effect size is so small that any reasonable reading should make this meaningless to anyone who works on their computer (unless you do menial data cleaning or something)
>>
>>57169708
/thread
>>
>>57169855
>menial data cleaning

Don't most $170K/yr "data scientists" spend 90% of their work hour doing this with Python scripts?
>>
1. Apple products move more slowly in technological terms than others. When you upgrade an Apple product you upgrade the entire product. You don't upgrade it's internals.
2. Apple products run in a closed environment (walled garden) where everything is vetted by Apple. This also means you are excluded from innovative technologies that would benefit others financially.
3. Windows has historically been more troublesome because of the more open nature of what it tries to achieve and thus requires more support.
4. This affects businesses more than consumers who are willing to upgrade and troubleshoot any compatibility issues. Businesses don't fucking change their servers hardware for ridiculously long periods. Some are still fucking running old Unix, XP and NT systems.

5. Most Apple users are fucking normie trash who have trouble getting their head out of Facebook for more than 5 minutes and rarely venture out of their 'safe' babby creche called the Apple ecosystem.
>>
>>57169876
no. they might do that as part of their job, but "data scientists" generally run analyses once they've cleaned the data, and if they're working in a team at a company that's not retarded then generally they'll outsource the data cleaning to crowd workers like Amazon Mechanical Turk (or if it's Microsoft or something else big, their own workforce - at MS it's called UHRS; i'd be surprised if google didn't have a similar setup)
>>
I agree with this.
I bought my mac for $1,000 vs brother who bought a $400 pc around the same time.
He has gone through a $400 pc every year for the last 4 years and I have the same mac.

400 * 4 = $1,600

I have saved $600 over the last 4 years when he told me that my computer was overpriced when I originally got it. I will provably continue to use this computer for another year before I decide to upgrade.
>>
>>57168242
You mean the company, which has a business-oriented cooperation with Apple, is saying that the products of the company, with which they have a cooperation, are better than the products of those companies, with which they don't have a cooperation?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!
>>
>>57169889
did you read the snippet? while there are issues with the article several of your critiques don't seem to appreciate that this was talking just about employees at IBM, who are probably not normies browsing facebook all day, for instance.

your kneejerk commentary just makes you look stupid. read the article or at least skim the greentext.
>>
>>57168242
>PCs drive twice the amount of support calls
>be me
>not being an idiot
>do research on my own
>fix my own issues
>increase intelligence
>...
>profit
Away with you, fagshill!
>>
>>57169906
So basically you don't venture out of your Apple creche. You are unwilling to try other things 'because it just werks tm'. Whilst your brother enjoys new and interesting (possibly exciting) things, you are still stuck in the fucking stone age.
>>
>>57169916
what do you mean by "cooperation"? you say that a lot like it's some dogwhistle term. IBM's stake is relatively agnostic - they no longer have a dog in the laptop fight, and all of their services are basically runnable on either os x or windows.

if there's some specific motivation that IBM has to prop up apple, can you point to it without using the word "cooperation" several times per sentence?
>>
>>57168427
Girlfriend still uses her Macbook Pro from 2010 that I upgraded with an SSD and one of those SSD/HDD hybrid drives. Unclear when it'll need to be upgraded. She does web dev and writing work on it. Nothing that needs that much horsepower. She'll use that laptop till it gives up the ghost.
>>
>>57169926
Business users generally don't upgrade their business shit. I stand by what I said.
>>
>>57169889
>You don't upgrade it's internals.
nobody does this with any other platform anymore either since slowing advancement means a noticeable upgrade requires at least a board swap, or just a new system entirely
>2. Apple products run in a closed environment (walled garden) where everything is vetted by Apple. This also means you are excluded from innovative technologies that would benefit others financially.
Macs are not phones, stop trying to act smart when this statement alone shows you're just regurgitating shit you read on /g/ from other people who are baiting or have no idea what they're talking about
>3. Windows has historically been more troublesome because of the more open nature of what it tries to achieve and thus requires more support.
Windows is more troublesome because
>account privileges in NT are fucked up allowing malicious or otherwise shoddy software to do more damage
>the sheer volume of vendors supporting it (due to market establishment, not some convoluted definition of "openness") means there are shitty developers everywhere writing shitty, unstable software
>the sheer volume of people using it means an increase in idiots
NT is not a very "open" or modular system even compared to OS X
>4. This affects businesses more than consumers who are willing to upgrade and troubleshoot any compatibility issues. Businesses don't fucking change their servers hardware for ridiculously long periods. Some are still fucking running old Unix, XP and NT systems.
many large businesses are generally on tighter cycles than even /g/ consumerists, but this is still mostly true
>5. Most Apple users are fucking normie trash who have trouble getting their head out of Facebook for more than 5 minutes and rarely venture out of their 'safe' babby creche called the Apple ecosystem.
this is garbage outside of /b/
>>
>PC
But Anon, every Mac ever produced by Apple is a PC and always has been. What you're saying is that Mac OS X is causing less problems than WINDOWS.
>>
>>57169956
says the normie trash
>>
>>57169936
not the guy you replied to, but
>You are unwilling to try other things 'because it just werks tm'.
this walkabout/rumspringa mentality is healthy in your free time, but if you're working on something the prudent thing to do is to stick with the tried and tested tools. this is very much the culture at IBM, and it seems to be common sense in general. people innovate and try new things when the status quo is dissatisfactory. if it "just werks" then messing with things just sounds like boredom.

>Whilst your brother enjoys new and interesting (possibly exciting) things, you are still stuck in the fucking stone age.
whilst his brother is forced to buy new laptops, he doth not need to. if thou doth consider that a feature, then thou art an apologist
>>
>>57169947
i don't expect you to acknowledge that you didn't read the OP's post past the first line. i just wanted you to know that you should have, because there was content there that made you look stupid.
>>
>>57169963
it's sad and hilarious at the same time when strawgraspers try to take a literal spin on the casual abbreviation of "PC compatible" to try to look smart on the internet

take your enlightened revelation back to whatever cancer general you spawned from dumb tripshit

>>57169984
you can put the strawmen down at any time brother, I don't even use any macs post-PPC
>>
>>57169936
Joke's on you dude im a linux systems admin.
SSH is built in to macos so I just SSH on over to linux machines when I need to. Plus mac gets free updates so I do have the newest software.
>>
>>57169942
>what do you mean by "cooperation"?
https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/07/15Apple-and-IBM-Forge-Global-Partnership-to-Transform-Enterprise-Mobility.html

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/24/inside-the-apple-and-ibm-partnership-to-help-enterprise-customers-build-more-ios-apps/

https://www.apple.com/us/business/mobile-enterprise-apps/
http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/work-with-apple/ibm/
https://www.ibm.com/marketplace/cloud/applecare-for-enterprise/us/en-us

etc.
>>
>>57170027
you think that software that works on OS X constitutes a special relationship?

do you see numbers everywhere as well? have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
>>
>>57170027
third URL doesn't work, sorry,
>>
>>57170041
don't be that guy who moves the goalpost.
>>
>>57170041
I'm not that anon.

But a partnership is a partnership. Both parties in this case benefit. IBM gets deals on Apple products and support while Apple gets IBM's vast amount of tools. IBM does have great developer tools you know.
>>
>>57168242
>find hardware that's completely supported by windows and functions well together with all other peripherals
>get a tech to brick everything up so employees can only perform the specific tasks they require in their individual department
>give every employee a 2 day course covering how to use the system and how to avoid scams and viruses and accidents
Wow, you just saved yourself a fucktonne of money
>>
>>57169847
> "We are closing down this site, our organization will be the first to leave to show an example. Here is the relocation package we are offering you. Where are we relocating your job? San Jose. Will you get a pay increase for the major hike in cost of living? lolno. Dont want the package? Your last day at IBM is in 90 days."
Jeez, what a shitty deal.

> Needless to say, only about 3 out of 20 offered the relocation package within my organization (US portion only . . . Our org had ~120 persons in the US) accepted the relocation package. Most of those folks were working directly out of my office.
Heh, that's pretty funny.

> Thanks for the details. Also, I dont know much about how well Lenovo or other hardware companies are doing with their server hardware sells.
You're welcome. Lelnovo and other hardware companies are probably doing very well with their server hardware sales, seeing how they haven't sold it. Otherwise, they're just not retarded and will try some other techniques to make their shit more competitive and known.
> I'm not that knowledgeable. I only know what I hear from coworkers. I'm only a lowly intern. My mentor kept me away from all the bullshit and had me work.
Hey man, don't worry about it. I enjoy teaching things!
Your mentor?

> I'm an intern actually. Been interning for over two years.
Two years?
Are you still in college, or what?

> I do automation development (and maintain web portal that hosts the tools), platform support, and system administration.
I wouldn't know, but it must be awful. Twelve different websites just to find shit.

So, my previous statement about there being a shitload of managers still rings true? Not to mention, I was way off.
>>
>>57169107
Nobody cares, iBabby.
>>
>>57168242
>Mac
>86x
>Unix
>Not pc
>>
File: 1477031903876.jpg (55KB, 513x514px) Image search: [Google]
1477031903876.jpg
55KB, 513x514px
>>57170484
>all that jealousy
>>
>>57169906
That's because your brother's a fucking retard who buys consumer-grade trash.

God forbid a $1000 dollar laptop outperforms $400 dollar laptops in the longevity department!

I could've easily done better with an equal budget.
>>
>>57170576
>jealous of somebody spending $2000 on literal faeces
Whatever helps you sleep at night iBabby!
>>
if this is true why don't more businesses use apple?
>>
File: 1477033062453.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1477033062453.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>tfw i'll never be able to afford a Macbook Pro
>>
>>57170602
Because IBM is bullshitting. They are in a partnership with Apple and they are obligated to praise Apple.
>>
File: 9082340234.png (239KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
9082340234.png
239KB, 511x428px
>>57170608
>>
>>57170602
there could be a million reasons. but let's be clear that if you're an engineer and the difference in cost between giving you a Mac vs a PC is $500 over 4 years, that's not worth them giving a fuck about.

the company is paying your salary PLUS 30% for whatever benefits you're getting (they're free to you; not free to the company employing you). if they're paying you a salary of ~$100k per year (which isn't unusual), then you're asking why they don't optimize on a cost that represents less than 0.1% of the value you represent to them (~$125 per year vs ~$130,000).

if it's essentially a coin toss, then the IT guys will most likely just pick whichever one looks cheaper on paper right now.
>>
>>57169770
>>57169823
Why not just use the cheaper PCs but start selling with manuals again?
>>
>>57170703
do you think there are manuals that can provide comprehensive guidance for problems users might encounter with modern computers?

who made you think this?
>>
File: implying.png (121KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
implying.png
121KB, 600x338px
>>57169956
> nobody does this with any other platform anymore either since slowing advancement means a noticeable upgrade requires at least a board swap, or just a new system entirely
>>> what is Intel Xeon Phi
>>> what is Nvidia Tesla
> Macs are not phones, stop trying to act smart when this statement alone shows you're just regurgitating shit you read on /g/ from other people who are baiting or have no idea what they're talking about
I guess Applel-only shit like .dmg files and soldered parts don't exist, huh...
> Windows is more troublesome because
> >account privileges in NT are fucked up allowing malicious or otherwise shoddy software to do more damage
> >the sheer volume of vendors supporting it (due to market establishment, not some convoluted definition of "openness") means there are shitty developers everywhere writing shitty, unstable software
> >the sheer volume of people using it means an increase in idiots
> NT is not a very "open" or modular system even compared to OS X
Won't argue any of that. Wangblows is shit.
> many large businesses are generally on tighter cycles than even /g/ consumerists, but this is still mostly true
Actually kind of correct.
> this is garbage outside of /b/
>>> implying
>>
>>57170709
Yes. I have a very comprehensive(official) manual for my car.
>>
>>57170746
your car is much, much more standardized, and frankly simpler, than a computer. your mental model is profoundly flawed.
>>
>>57170753
I guarantee you a modern computer is even more standardised because we know exactly what operating system they will be using.

1 page on how to get in to the case
1 page on the internals and their locations
1 page on their socket types
2 pages on how to remove and install hardware

That's it for the internals. And since this is going to be a vendor-specific manual they wouldn't need to do shit like "but if you have a model released one year after this it turns out your coolant is in the back on the left because shut up."
>>
>>57170785
modern computers increasingly use bizarre workarounds to squeeze shit into smaller and smaller form factors.

internal combustion engines are fundamentally the same as they were 50 years ago. if something's broken, you should be able to use a decades-old understanding of automobiles to fix it.
>>
>>57170795
>>57170785
>mfw you're both wrong AND right

Modern cars are total trash. It's all shitty computers and bodges, and bullshit that no reasonable person could ever work with.

Up to, and including, having to remove a headlight case to reach the sump plug.
>>
>>57170840
the electronics in cars are really, really, truly poorly documented. you can get tools that have effectively reverse engineered stuff, but that's very much to the chagrin of auto makers.
>>
Modern "Macs" basically just Volvo YCCs.
>>
>400,000+ employees
>IBM let their employees decide – Windows or Mac.
>An emerging favorite meant the deployment of 30,000 Macs

Not even close to 50/50, so how can you say anything?
>>
For basic office work I would figure macs are cheap, 10 years using a mac since you wouldn't need any real processing power, although for everything else it seems abit pointless to have a mac.
>>
File: tipping spectrum.jpg (100KB, 751x500px) Image search: [Google]
tipping spectrum.jpg
100KB, 751x500px
>>57168761
>since I game
>>
>>57170906
the first line is meaningless. you don't run a pilot study with all of your employees. you don't even run a full study with all of your employees. you take a representative sample. this is literally day 1 shit in basic statistics courses.

the second line is a valid point. it's not meaningful if you just let people assign themselves to a treatment or control condition.

the third line is technically true, but it misrepresents what's happening. 30k employees got the option to get a mac instead and they opted for it. also, the next line points out that now it's at 90k. did i miss something or did you?

the outcome of $540 over 4 years is meaningless. that's basically a rounding error. even $543 per year wouldn't be significant enough to make any difference.

literally the only thing that matters here is that the employees got to use whichever device they wanted to use (between OS X and Windows). that factor alone influences productivity hugely. i've put people in front of mechanical keyboards and watched them struggle to type at a normal speed. at first it was incomprehensible, but after you spend enough time seeing and studying how people use technology you begin to appreciate that this shit is all fuzzy. if someone enjoys using an android phone or an iPhone more than the other, they'll put in the work to be as productive or more than if you had forced them the other way.

For $70-120 per year, letting people use a device that they feel comfortable with (a keyboard they like, a screen that looks pleasant to them, etc...) is worth it. if they pick windows, let them use windows. if they pick OS X, then let them use that.

just stop being a fucking zealot about this shit.
>>
File: bye-knuckles.jpg (140KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
bye-knuckles.jpg
140KB, 500x334px
>>57170795
Yeah, no.

50 years ago you wanted to replace a water pump, you undid 4 bolts and pulled that shit off.

Now you get to do steps 1 through 16 before you even SEE the fucking pump.

If you can make a guide on how to work with this shit, you can make one on how to replace fucking ram in an SFF.
>>
>>57170999
Working on modern cars is some Professor Layton level shit.
>>
>>57170731
>>>> what is Intel Xeon Phi
>>>> what is Nvidia Tesla
a couple buzzword products you've never used but are only listing off because they have BIG NUMBERS and thus must be a counterpoint to a conversation about consumer computing that wouldn't know embarrassing parallelism from its own asshole

>Applel-only shit like .dmg files
wow someone call the cops, different platforms with different software ecosystems use different formats, I feel so locked down right now
are you going to shit on linux next because it won't run winshit binaries out of the box?
>and soldered parts
you and I both know that's the dumbest fucking bait in that post and it's not even worth seriously replying to

dumbfuck moeshitposter
>>
>>57168242
>PCs drive twice the amount of support calls

That's pretty good considering most PCs users do way more than twice the amount of work than mac users who e-mail and blog.
>>
>>57171106
>dicking with MS Office, vidya games and googling STOP codes all day
>work
>>
>>57169956
every thing you are talking about is wrong and you should feel bad for shit posting. several of the outfits I work for just upgraded the majority of their workstations. mostly ram, add ssds, some GFX upgrades and even some cpu upgrades. The fact is that you can do RAM and drive upgrades to a MAC to extend its working life but no one does because of "shiny new"
>>
>>57171148
Glad you brought up video games, the largest entertainment industry in history and Apple decides to not participate. fucking retards run on the same hardware now but can't code their os for devs.
>>
File: 1435196278967.gif (109KB, 209x193px)
1435196278967.gif
109KB, 209x193px
>>57171043
> a couple buzzword products you've never used but are only listing off because they have BIG NUMBERS and thus must be a counterpoint to a conversation about consumer computing that wouldn't know embarrassing parallelism from its own asshole
>>> implying
My Tesla C2050 would like to say otherwise.

> wow someone call the cops, different platforms with different software ecosystems use different formats, I feel so locked down right now
You should.
I don't think I can extract that shit in any other platform.
Also, CALLED.
> are you going to shit on linux next because it won't run winshit binaries out of the box?
No, because they can at least run them.
By the way, every software update Applel changes shit, making it hard for hackintoshers to keep shit up-to-date. I'd say that's a bit of a walled garden.

> you and I both know that's the dumbest fucking bait in that post and it's not even worth seriously replying to
Oh?
So I guess there's no reason for this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-mac-pros-with-soldered-ram.1806350/ to exist then.

> dumbfuck moeshitposter
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Stay faggot, kid.
>>
>>57168242
What a pile of tremendous bullshit.

We deploy refurbished T410s, they are still running a minimum of 5 years and support calls are mostly made because new users have questions about the business software.

They cost 200 bucks.

I'd like to know how that measures up to those calculations.
>>
>>57168587
>paid shill article proving everything
Gee, I wonder why.

You fell for marketing dumbfuck.
>>
I have a 2007 iMac, still going strong.
I installed El Capitan on it after years of holding out because muh Snow Leopard PPC interpreter, and it works pretty well. They literally only just dropped support for it, and I've never had any issues with it unless we include Windows issues.
>>
>>57172101
Hey, speaking of new users, do you think you could help this guy >>57170901 out?
>>
>>57168377
>"mama miata"
>defending Apple

100% verified faggot
>>
File: stevejobs.png (16KB, 470x495px) Image search: [Google]
stevejobs.png
16KB, 470x495px
>>57168242
>>
File: 1476984852489-pol.jpg (76KB, 800x751px) Image search: [Google]
1476984852489-pol.jpg
76KB, 800x751px
>>57168242
>Needing to justify purchase of outdated overpriced shiny trendwear
Normie detected.

I spend $1400 on my pc to watch my anime and play Dota on dual 1440p screens. You spend $1400 on a mac with the same capabilities of a $500 laptop to be trendy.

Notice a difference?
>>
>>57173754
>$500 laptops can push dual 2k screens

anon.....
>>
I've had my MacBook Pro Retina since 2011 and it still runs like a champ. My Windows laptops are good for two years and they start falling apart. I can completely see this being true.
>>
>>57168242
Apple products are banned in my home and i refuse to give support on apple products to my relatives
>>
>>57173793
Can it run Dota on Ultra? Can it run Fallout on ultra?
>>
>>57173754
>>57173825
>>>/v/
>>
>>57173832
I also run heavy graphics rendering software and compilation.
>>
>>57173846
which poster are you? the guy talking about watching anime and playing dota, or the guy talking about playing dota and fallout?
>>
>>57173846
me too, with a shitty MBP 13 inch
>>
>>57173820
Then stop living with your parents.
>>
>>57173866
New MBPr's are supposed to be coming out end of the month, any interest?
>>
>>57173820
>Apple products are banned in my home
lol what?

unless your dad is bill gates or something, your parents sound like they're seriously unhinged.
>>
>>57173820
Something tells me you've never actually asked someone to leave after they've pulled out an iPhone, but then I'd also be willing to bet that people aren't exactly clamoring to go into your home.

When was the last time you had more than 3 guests over at one time, and when was the last time you made someone leave for having an Apple product?
>>
>>57173929
idk, i've a sandy bridge MBPr but I'm broke right now, so
>>
>>57173858
Both post are mine.
>>
>>57168242
At least I dont literally eat shit with my own hands
>>
>>57171204
>My Tesla C2050 would like to say otherwise.
sure, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you didn't just go and google whatever the latest Tesla is and say you have it, since it's one of the most trivial points of the post

>I don't think I can extract that shit in any other platform.
http://www.howtogeek.com/204628/how-to-open-a-dmg-file-in-windows/
http://eastmanreference.com/how-to-work-with-dmg-files-on-linux/
>literally the first fucking google results for "dmg on <platform>"
god you're fucking dumb

>By the way, every software update Applel changes shit, making it hard for hackintoshers to keep shit up-to-date. I'd say that's a bit of a walled garden.
>bawww but I can't install it properly on hardware the manufacturer never intended (or wanted) it to run on SO LOCKED DOWN
is this really all you can come up with? they're called a "hackintosh" for a reason. that isn't the definition of a walled garden at all, there's no restrictions on what applications you can install and run, nothing stopping you from doing basically whatever you want as long as you know how to do it

>So I guess there's no reason for this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-mac-pros-with-soldered-ram.1806350/ to exist then.
and how does the trashcan being the piece of utter garbage it is make the use of surface-mounted everything "applel-only"? compact hardware generally goes this route, you're grasping at straws to justify a bunch of retarded /v/ memes
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.