[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If open source software is so good, how come it can't compete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

If open source software is so good, how come it can't compete with proprietary crap?

There's no good open source office suite, advanced image editor, video editor, or games.

Prove me wrong. What's a good, open source alternative to
>MS office
>Photoshop
>Sony Vegas
>>
>microsoft
>adobe
>sony
>>
>>57165683
(You) tried.
>>
File: 1454344619612.jpg (349KB, 1181x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1454344619612.jpg
349KB, 1181x1920px
>>57165722
>>57165707
Yet another great, solid, argument from freetards
>>
>>57165757
>You may have all the advantages and conveniences buy at least I'm not being (maybe) spied on.
>>
Quality has never mattered.

If it did then CP/M would have been what DOS was, or we'd all be using Amiga machines, or the Be OS.
>>
>>57165683
>you will never stumble into a qt big butt at the arcade and take her home
>>
>>57165757
>argument
>to a bait
i would have an arguement if you had one as well
you didnt list any way of measuring "good" so even if i had an arguement you would just deny it for whatever reason
>>
>>57165915
Let me guess.
>libre office
>gimp
>blender

They're okay software, but only an idiot would call them better than what's in the op.
>>
>>57165683
>>57165757
>open source
>freetards
At least be consistent in who you're arguing with. I can't talk about open source, but I can tell you that free software is not about being "good" enough to "compete" with proprietary crap, but about the user's freedom. There are no "proprietary alternatives" to free software, because they fail to be what is most important: give the user the freedom to use, modify, and redistribute the software.
>>
>>57166009
>to be
to do*
>>
because you can't make as much money with GPL or GLPL

legally speaking, open source devs don't have access to such high level programs. the devs involved in making photoshop etc probably would know how to collaborate with other devs to make a FOSS equivalent but the problem is if these big scummy companies ever knew about it, they would be in court. bunch of devs versus hordes of corporate lawyers. guess who's willing to even risk getting to that situation?

sony, (((adobe))) and microshill are making big bucks selling licenses to companies and individual users. the business model already exists and has a giant hold on the market, it cannot really be changed at this point. they could make money the same way red hat etc make, by providing support and such, but no. all these (((people))) care about is making big bucks to shareholders

if you've ever used office, vegas or photoshop (maybe the first two mostly), you would notice they are full of bugs which simply remain unfixed forever. closed source devs don't give a shit. in the open source world all of those problems would've been fixed by now

just compare windows to linux, one has the biggest amount of devs (albeit indian) working on it and it still keeps breaking when you update it. or when it updates it, you don't get to choose. then there's linux which comes in all flavors. there are noob distros like ubuntu for people who want it to just werk, and arch for people who'd rather create their system theirself
>>
>>57166067
>windows keeps breaking when you update it
>office, vegas, and Photoshop are full of bugs
>>
>>57165938
>okay software
by which measurement?
youre just listing software you like and dont like
>>
Because the bazaar model only works if you have a sufficient large and prolific users. That's why Linux works so flawless, when it first started it wasn't some corporate guy just wanting it to work so he could call it a day. It was a kernel hacker who were trying new things just for fun, when he encountered some bug he patched it and sent it upstream.

Now who uses office programs, photoshop and vegas? Some guy that doesn't even know how to open the cmd.exe or change some registry variables, if he adopt a free software alternative, he can't patch it, when a bug occurs, and say it doen't work and go back to using proprietary. That's why these softwares have such lack of features compared to their proprietary counterparts.

Also GIMP is older than photoshop. It is possible that some GIMP code might have been in the first versions of photoshop, or even in the modern ones who knows.
>>
>>57165683
>this thread again
>>
>>57165683
>What's a good, open source alternative to MS office

OpenOffice or LibreOffice

Photoshop and Sony Vegas don't have proper alternatives.
>>
>>57166333
Libre office is pretty good, but it's still like a cut down version of ms office.

Haven't had any problems yet though.
>>
>>57166140

it's like you've never used windows 10 or sony vegas
>>
>>57166512
But anon, my main pc OS is windows 10.
No issues yet, but I haven't used vegas so I can't vouch for that.
>>
>>57165938
I feel like gimp is the only one that's lacking. You can immediately notice how the shaky the brush tool is and the smoothing parameters make no noticable difference
>>
>>57165683
A pro alternative or just a "ok" alternative?
>>
>>57166570
>yet

the clock is ticking
>>
>>57166678
I'm assuming he means something equal.

>>57166652
I tried using blender last night but I couldn't figure out the ui. Not sure if I'm just an idiot overall or if it had something to do with the fact it was 2AM and I couldn't sleep because my stupid puppy kept crying.
>>
File: 1451056338225.png (441KB, 634x466px) Image search: [Google]
1451056338225.png
441KB, 634x466px
>>57165757
there is not point in arguing against the same stupid shit from the same dumb faggots every day

why should we give a fuck what you think. Use windows or whatever, fuck off and quit shitting up the board.

its hard to imagine the kind of person who would care enough to make a thread or to imagine their motivation aside from some pathetic-grade ego boosting 'sick burn' to the outgroup du jour

>take that social Other
>>
>>57166732
>equal
So he is looking for a copy and not for alternative.
>>
>>57166737
Why are you angry? Because your preferred meme is getting called out? Pathetic desu.
>>
>>57166732
It takes a bit of time to learn the bender UI, but the same is true for pretty much any large, complicated program including Maya or anything by Adobe. I'm sure Blender lacks features in Maya or any other expensive 3D modeling software, but it's very likely that blender has everything you need unless you're working in the industry and at that point, you're going to be using your studio' in-house software anyway)
>>
>>57166239
>Because the bazaar model only works if you have a sufficient large and prolific users. That's why Linux works so flawless, when it first started it wasn't some corporate guy just wanting it to work so he could call it a day. It was a kernel hacker who were trying new things just for fun

It started out as a terminal emulator. It also didn't start out GPL. And it wasn't "Linux" at the beginning. It was Freax. As in "freaks"

Read "Just For Fun" by Linus Torvalds

>Now who uses office programs, photoshop and vegas? Some guy that doesn't even know how to open the cmd.exe or change some registry variables, if he adopt a free software alternative, he can't patch it, when a bug occurs, and say it doen't work and go back to using proprietary. That's why these softwares have such lack of features compared to their proprietary counterparts.

What is this I don't even

English, please?

>Also GIMP is older than photoshop

No it isn't. Photoshop is 28 years old - 1988. Because of this, PS has multiple ways to do the same things, not all of which makes sense. It has that much cruft.

>. It is possible that some GIMP code might have been in the first versions of photoshop, or even in the modern ones who knows.

Just... no.
>>
lol ... you do realize that open source software is the reason why you are able to reliably send the very question you ask, yes? even MS started out by using the BSD networking stack. the whole infrastructure space of the internet, for starters, is OSS in both practice and spirit.

also, many commercial products use OSS at their core to varying degrees. tvs, routers, media boxes, video game consoles, etc. my favorite example is Apple's Mac OS X -- an extreme use of how invaluable it can be.

you do have a valid point when it comes to video games. OSS + games = cheat paradise. non-issue for non-net games, but a fundamental issue for the net games. it might eventually be a non-issue (???), but I wouldn't hold my breath on it anytime soon.
>>
>>57165683
>MS office
Learn to Latex.
>>
>>57165833
>Amiga was good meme
>>
>>57165938
>>gimp
>not Krita
>>
>>57168166
What the fuck is krita, everyone here suggests gimp last time I asked
>>
>>57168227
>What the fuck is krita

A better version of both Gimp and Inkscape together

>everyone here suggests gimp last time I asked

GTK fags in denial.
>>
File: 2016-10-21-011257_1366x768_scrot.png (124KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-21-011257_1366x768_scrot.png
124KB, 1366x768px
>>57165683
>Photo/Video editing
>Normie careers
>>>/b/
Windows can't compete with pic related
>>
>>57166140
kek

>o noes BUGS

I've used those software and came up with great end products mate, don't make it sound like you can't get anything done with them.
>>
>>57168264
Isn't krita meant for drawing and digital painting? Gimp is meant for general image editing.
>>
>>57170256
I'm just amazed people think software they don't like has to be a bug ridden mess
>>
Sorry to pick on you >>57166732 but this is the standard reason people don't even give new software a chance
>I tried using blender last night but I couldn't figure out the ui.
And by 'couldn't figure out' they usually mean 'I didn't bother for 10 minutes to get a grasp of the basic layout and at least follow a few tutorials like any reasonable person would do when faced with a completely new program'
>>
File: old times.jpg (49KB, 351x445px) Image search: [Google]
old times.jpg
49KB, 351x445px
>>57165683
Why do you think the only computing thing that exists are the ones running on an laptop/desktop, OP?

>MS Office
Any office, like Gdocs, almost no one needs MS office anymore, only excel or word heavy users really needs it, and even MS Office 365 are not an substitute

>Phoshop
Gimp and Krita can do the same, except for profissional use.

>Sony Vegas
Lightworks.

You already have some software than can do mostly all than an non pro user needs, and all the infrastructure stuff are better on opensource, so you questioning are a lil dumb.
>>
>>57165683
Sure, for crappy consumer software, that is. But if you look at the important stuff open source killed all of its competitors.

>Postgres killed Oracle
>GCC killed basically everything else, including it's replacement clang.
>Git killed all VCS.
>Xamarin's Mono C# won over .NET, to the point MS bought them.
>Linux murdered Windows on Servers, back in 2003 everything was on Windows, today it's only used in legacy systems.

The thing is that it's very hard to compete against Open Source, the second a FOSS alternative comes close to the nonfree, there is no way the propietary can catch up.
>>
>>57165683
Blender
>>
>LibreOffice
No good Photoshop alternative, I'll give you that.
>kdenlive/Blender
>>
>>57170562
I agree with you.
I think if someone is really into open source software, he can do every thing as MS or Toshop.
If I take toshop for example, you just have to use 4 open source software to have the same kind of work. It's a little more complicated, but you have more possibilities, you use more abilities even if it's longer...
>>
>>57165683
OPen sores is better at building blocks (in a baazar, only the best product sells), companies are better at edifications (cathedrals require a leader, and a single vision)
>>
>>57170562
>profissional
No. Gimp can not compete with Photoshop.
>>
>>57170770
Libre office sometimes fucks up docx formatting
>>
>>57165683
LibreOffice
Gimp/Inkscape/Krita
Cutshot/Lightworks
>>
>>57172304
Try exporting to ooxml, that usually fixes it for me.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.