[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 33

File: heykids.png (163KB, 680x449px) Image search: [Google]
heykids.png
163KB, 680x449px
Previously on: >>57143599

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://p.teknik.io/5cGhy
>>
File: 1476948779116.jpg (39KB, 655x497px) Image search: [Google]
1476948779116.jpg
39KB, 655x497px
>tfw too intelligent to write polkit rules
>>
What are good "greyish" themes for XFCE that ain't fucking Greybird
>>
>>57158258

There are no "Xfce" themes. There are GTK themes and Xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) themes. You need to be specific which one you want.
>>
>>57158303
I would guess both, since I don't want to mix them up?
>>
>>57158347

I prefer grey themes myself, so I use Zuki-themes (a slightly tweaked version of Zukitre which gets rid of the bright highlight color). It also comes with a matching xfwm4 theme, but you can use a neutral one and it will still fit.

I don't really know of any other grey themes. It sucks that every other theme is straining on my eyes, with their fierce contrasts, no outlines or barely readable text. I'm talking about Arc, Numix or Flat-plat.
>>
>>57158433
>Zuki-themes
thanks senpai.
>>
>>57158156
won't fall for that again...
>>
I'm looking at purchasing a wyse x90cw for a lightweight cheap laptop, but am having some trouble turning up evidence it can have linux dropped on there. Anyone have any experience with the wyse thin clients and flashing them with linux? For 20 bucks this would make a great little laptop.
>>
Can you run Pantheon on any other distro than Elementary OS?
>>
>>57159094
yes
>>
File: 1474862410640.gif (86KB, 200x335px) Image search: [Google]
1474862410640.gif
86KB, 200x335px
is there anything actually good Arch-like but without botnetd? I though about Gentoo but I don't want to seem too autistic
>>
File: parabolagnulinuxlibre.png (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
parabolagnulinuxlibre.png
21KB, 600x600px
>>57159170
Parabola is Arch with 100% free software
>>
>>57159194
does it use systemd though? can i replace it with something else in arch maybe?
>>
>>57159214
systemd is free software, licensed under the LGPL
>>
b-but systemd is the boogeyman!
>>
File: 1476950612495.jpg (274KB, 1414x965px) Image search: [Google]
1476950612495.jpg
274KB, 1414x965px
>>57159221
>systemNSA
>>
>>57159214
to give you an actual answer, archbang is what you want according to the wiki
>>
>>57159214
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC

not sure if this works for parabola
>>
>>57159273
ill check it out thx

>>57159274
might move to gentoo for that though since its the intended distro for openrc, thanks
>>
>>57159170
I don't know botnetd.
>>
>>57159247
Points made:
1. systemd made by Red Hat; Red Hat works with the US gov including the NSA
2. systemd is so big and complicated that malicious intent can't be detected
3. elusive bugs exist and humans are fallible, so people can get away with adding security holes

Counter points:
1. Paranoid implication that proves nothing
2. Paranoid implication that proves nothing
3. Paranoid implication that proves nothing

Until someone actually discovers one of these supposed "security holes" then all you "systemd is nsa spyware" dorks are being overly paranoid without solid evidence.
>>
>>57159355
an implication of a possibility should be enough for a full audit in this case, since basically all popular distros make use of systemd
but alas, it cannot be audited fast enough, i wonder why
>>
Something is wrong. I cannot install Xubuntu on my laptop.

I quess the hybrid graphics card setup it has, has something to do with it. Although installing it shouldn't be impossible since this same laptop came with Ubuntu when I bought it.

I am starting to think that Linux is not really worth the work.
>>
>>57159467
>an implication of a possibility ...
The same implications (minus the stretched NSA association) are true of any large/complex enough project. Internet browsers, compilers, the Linux kernel, desktop environments, etc.

>... should be enough for a full audit in this case, since basically all popular distros make use of systemd
>but alas, it cannot be audited fast enough, i wonder why
What exactly is a "full audit"? Who makes these audits? Where can I find "full audits" of all the other free software I use?

Anyone can go through every individual line of code, if they want. Then they can discover these potential bugs, and then they WON'T BE POTENTIAL OR IMPLICATIONS ANYMORE.

If there really are security holes, or backdoors, or other malicious intent in systemd, then it can be forked with those bits removed. That's the benefit of free software!
>>
File: SS_002.png (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SS_002.png
116KB, 1920x1080px
Hello anons, i want to crack some wifi passwords, so could you tell me which one is best?

Are this right commands:
airmon-ng start wlp2s0

and

reaver -i wlp2s0mon -b c8:3a:35:43:2a:60 -S -N -vv

>>
File: GNU-social-logo.svg.png (18KB, 640x201px) Image search: [Google]
GNU-social-logo.svg.png
18KB, 640x201px
Friends. I need to connect my WordPress.com blog to the GNU Social network. I will do this through IFTTT.

So, I registered WordPress as an app on GNU Social, and received those informations:
>consumer key
>consumer secret
>request token URL
>access token URL
>authorize URL

This is OAuth? This... is... MADNESS! I don't know exactly how to format the request IFTTT will send. It must send the request to "update status" (post a new "tweet"/quip). Is this the right way to format the request?

https://quitter.se/api/oauth/request_token/<consumer key>:<consumer secret>/statuses/update 
>>
That may sound like a really dumb question (and it probably is) but how can I figure out what piece of information in
lspci -vvv
my card reader is?
I look at the output and realise that I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for.
Are there some flags I can look for to be more certain what listed device my card reader is?
>>
Somehow separated gfx card via vfio for muh gaming, failed, can't seem able to undo and can now only boot on IGFX.

How to "debug" this shit and fix it? I don't wanna reinstall, running arch btw.
>>
>>57159759
The airmon part is unneccessary, just remember to log off the wifi

>airodump-ng
>find an active network (look at the data column)
>copy bssid
>airodump -c <channel> --bssid <bssid> -w <filename> wlan0
>two options:
>1. wait for someone to log in
>2. aireplay-ng -0 <number of packets, 10 should be enough> -a <bssid> wlan0
>once you capture the handsake
>aircrack-ng -w <wordlist (you can find some in /usr/share/wordlists/, rockyou is the biggest)> <file.cap> (you'd have 4 files)
>wait 3 hours
>....
>?
>no profit, because it's very uncommon to find the password in the dictionary
>>
>>57160045
try different greps to see if anything pops up
lspci -vvv | grep -i card
lspci -vvv | grep -i disk
lspci -vvv | grep -i reader

or try one of these to see if you recognize the device
lsblk
sudo blkid
lsusb
>>
is it always this hard to install even GTK themes on cinnamon or is it just me?
>>
Just got my t420, what distro should I install if my sole propose is learning?

I was thinking Debian stable,
>>
I have trouble setting up the network connection on my freshly installed gentoo.

I remember Networkmanager worked pretty good last on my previous distro.

On https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NetworkManager it is said

>NetworkManager and other network management services typically don't work together. That includes a standalone instance of dhcpcd. Make sure only one network management service is running.

Does this mean I should get rid of dhcpcd ?

PS : I am a beginner with network connection and I wish to get more familiar with this. I am in the process of reading various pages of wiki but it is difficult to digest all this raw information.
Are there good tutorials / lecture notes from CS teachers you'd recommend?
>>
Is it already worth to upgrade to ubuntu 16.10?
>>
>>57160146
Well, lsblk says that my SD card is mounted at 8:48/8:49 but when I look at lspci -vvv, there isn't even a device with the major number 8.
Any idea what else I could try?
Also thanks for helping me.
>>
>>57156495
someone posted hint on another thread >>57158648

anyway you should be able to do it in ubuntu too
1/ setup init
2/ setup eudev or another udev replacement
3/ rebuild any pkg build with a systemd-related flag without it
you can rm -rf systemd after 2/

>inb4
https://i.4cdn.org/g/1476918157573.png
>>
>>57160421
lsblk should have a name like sda, sdb, sd* for it.

this should give you info on it. (replace "sdb" with the name lsblk gave you for it)

udevadm info --query=all -n /dev/sdb
>>
>>57160502
Thank you very much!
That did the trick. Now I've found the device and can proceed finally.
>>
>>57160554
You're Welcome, Good luck
>>
anybody wanna help connecting to IRCs using weechat/irssi?
My connection gets refused whenever conencting to irc.freenode.net 8001
>>
I've set up an rsync on my ubuntu server to sync a directory from my desktop.

If I just schedule it to run every hour or something but my desktop isn't online what happens? Will it just delete the folder or will it not run?
>>
>>57160961
Why don't you just test it yourself?
>>
>>57160117
That's why the kids today use reaver. It uses an exploit in order to become a WPS registrar; once registred, the ap gives you the WPA. This is also why it's a good idea to lock WPS on your own router.
>>
>>57161089
im scared anon
>>
>>57161166
Use test data
>>
Reposting from othe thread that died.

Does anyone know of good mice that work well in linux? Specifically I need one that has good scrolling speed.

My current steelseries rival is very slow with scrolling, and the only way to make it faster is using imwheel which breaks things that are useful. I can edit firefox to scroll properly and also chrome if I wanted, but for other applications there's no way.
>>
>>57161375
logitech g500
>>
Is it true that apt pulls in a lot of dependency crap that it doesn't actually need? Can anyone prove this?

If true, is there a pm that works properly?
>>
>>57161605

You're an idiot. What about "suggested" and "recommended" is hard to understand?
>>
>>57161605
Apt, like any package manager, pulls what the package tells it to pull.
>>
>>57160190
network-mismanager can use dhcpcd as a standalone utility, so just deactivate the init script of dhcpcd and net.ethX, then activate nm and let it do the job.
>>
>>57161605
>Is it true that apt pulls in a lot of dependency crap that it doesn't actually need?
Not that I'm aware of, it just installs the necessary dependencies and whatever is recommended (unless specified otherwise).

>If true, is there a pm that works properly?
I think they all work fine, and most of the time the problem is the user being ignorant or incompetent.
>>
>>57161605
APT pulls less dependency crap than other (and widely recognised as better actually) package managers such as Fedora's dnf (former yum).

It's because apt allows packages to be recognised as "hard" dependency and "soft" dependency. Hard dependency will always be installed unless precisely told not to, since it's required for the program to run. Soft dependencies are not crucial for the software to work but contain useful "extras" such as plugins, extensions and all that crap.

Your myth probably stems from the fact that popular distributions such as ubuntu usually come with "download all dependencies" enabled by default. But it's okay to shut it down.

It is thought that the soft/hard dependency recognition is the major problem of APT and may be the reason why it's wonky sometimes. "industry standard (lel)" package managers such as dnf/yum (rpm based) treat all dependencies as "hard" and are widely recognised as more stable and predictable.

But worry not mate.
Having additional packages on your hard-drive doesn't hurt the performance of the OS at all.

But If you want a very minimal distributions I would avoid the like of Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and such. They're "one size fits all" type of product.
>>
>>57159553
at least state what the problem exactly is.
>>
>>57161670
It's not that, you wanker. It's that whatever it forces you to download may not actually be necessary. Read the fucking comment next time you cunt.
>>57161695
Well I've heard that it pulls more because it has shit detection for what packages it needs.
>>
>>57161722

>APT pulls less dependency crap than other package managers
Apt has nothing to do with dependency declaration. It's the package maintainer that does that.

>It's because apt allows packages to be recognised as "hard" dependency and "soft" dependency.
Other package managers have that too. It's not an apt exclusive thing.

You're busting his myths by spreading your own myths and misconceptions.
>>
>>57161761

> It's that whatever it forces you to download may not actually be necessary.
Again, look up the definition of the words "suggested" and "recommended". Then look at how to choose default apt behaviour or how to temporary use certain flags.

>Well I've heard that it pulls more because it has shit detection for what packages it needs.
Apt DOES NO DETECTION. The package maintainer decides what to list as dependencies.
How about YOU read what other people tell you?
>>
>>57161768
>>57161788
woah woah woah there's some salt mr. debian dev
>>
>>57161722
Most people who use Ubumbo probably don't know it has soft deps as default, at least I didn't. I'm switching that shit off next time I turn on my laptop, that's fucking retarded and gay.

Ubuntu really has some shit defaults recently.
Who does sane defaults any more? Debian? Fedora? Open suse? I'm seriously considering these now even though I liked Unity the last few years.
>>
>>57161761
>Well I've heard that it pulls more because it has shit detection for what packages it needs.
You've heard wrong. The package says what dependencies it needs, apt doesn't care shit about it and does what it's told to do.

You can reduce dependencies by editing the packages.
>>
>>57161605
>Is it true that apt pulls in a lot of dependency crap
Regarding the difference between Arch's package-count vs Debian's package count: Debian separates its packages into multiple parts, whereas Arch puts everything (the source code, development, and runtime files) into one package.

So it might seem like Debian is more bloated by its package count, but it's likely taking up less storage space and it allows you to be conservative and use only the things you need.

Arch is more "bloated" (to use a buzzword), despite the comparatively low package count, because their single packages are larger. But this has the added benefit of simplicity and consistency. You always have what you need, and more.
>>
>>57161788
fuck you
>>
File: 18938398892.jpg (402KB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
18938398892.jpg
402KB, 3504x2336px
>>57161788
>>57161850
>/fglt/
>f
>FRIENDLY
>>
>>57161873
I am being friendly, Richard.
>>
>>57161873
2bfh this place for unfriendly the minute some fuckstick added the GNU crap. When it was still FLT we all got along fine. Then the Stallman cunt brigade entered and destroyed our nice little comfy thread. I hope that fat cunt pedo jew dies miserably and alone.

Fuck stallman. There was a point when his ugly Jew face wasn't on the front page either.
/G/ was better then.
>>
>>57161946
Feel free to make a /flt/ about the Linux kernel. I like the emphasis on GNU because freedom is the most important characteristic of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57161985
Fuck you, I use busybox anyway
>>
File: gnu.png (229KB, 640x556px) Image search: [Google]
gnu.png
229KB, 640x556px
>>57162043
What's Busybox licensed under?
>>
>>57161799

I use Arch. Where's your argument now, idiot?
>>
>>57160417
Yes. It's super slick imo
>>
File: 2016-10-20_12-22-02.jpg (318KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-20_12-22-02.jpg
318KB, 1600x900px
recommend me a partition scheme for my 232GB ssd Manjaro install please
>>
>>57163044
500mb /boot rest /
sepperate home is retarded if you dont plan to distrohop
>>
>>57163044
500MB /boot
32GB /
200GB /home
>>
>>57163077
>>57163071

what about for swap? I think it's double depending on how RAM I've use or something like that
>>
>>57163096
use a swapfile
8 gb should be enough
>>
>>57163109

what's the difference from a swapfile and a swap partition?
>>
>>57163096
>I think it's double depending on how RAM I've use or something like that
that depends on your workload
but yeah, 2x the amount of RAM is the recommended amount for "nothing can ever go wrong"

Have you ever managed to fill up your RAM in windows?
If yes, go for 2x RAM. If no, anything over 8GB should do just fine. 8GB should be minimum because hibernation.
>>
>>57159170
Arch and Gentoo are almost polar opposites of each other. Why would you consider Gentoo if you want something Arch-like?
>>
>>57163117
a swappartition is a separate partition, a swapfile is a file on another partition
>>
>>57163117
from the arch wiki

As an alternative to creating an entire partition, a swap file offers the ability to vary its size on-the-fly, and is more easily removed altogether. This may be especially desirable if disk space is at a premium (e.g. a modestly-sized SSD).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file
>>
>>57159355
>>57159467
Remember: Anti-systemd shitposters are hired NSA shills

The NSA already has well-hidden bugs and backdoors in established software like crond, dhcpcd etc.; now systemd is coming in and taking all of them away.

Of course the NSA would be upset, which is why they're trying to spread as much systemd FUD and bashing as possible, to get people to use their good old backdoor'd legacy software in mission critical environments.
>>
i hate all desktop environments, i want a window manager that is A. not autistic, and B. Easy to setup and just work.

I am using a freshly installed debian netinstall. what windows manager should i install?
>>
>>57160117
>no profit, because it's very uncommon to find the password in the dictionary
You clearly have never seen a real-world password database leak.

20%-40% of the passwords are extremely predictable.
>>
>>57163165
sounds like openbox may be for you.
It is pretty easy to set up with all the graphical configuration tools available for it
>>
>>57163165
Cinnamon is what I usually recommend for people who want something easy-to-use and noncontroversial.
>>
>>57163071
Mixing home dirs across distros is probably a bad idea any way, because of software version conflicts when it comes to configuration, cache, state etc.

If you really need to synchronize your config, then I'd symlink the “slave” distro's dotfiles to the “master” distro where needed
>>
>>57163196
>graphical configuration tools available for openbox

can i have details on this please
>>
>>57161946
/flt/ was normie tier cancer
>reddit links
>shitty apps guy
>recommended distro: linux mint

You should be thankful to the guys who pushed the quality of this thread with great pasta, useful informations and help newcomers every day instead of spouting ">lelele jew pedo" 4gag crap.
>>
>>57161985
>I like the emphasis on GNU because freedom is the most important characteristic of GNU/Linux.
If GNU is the most important characteristic of GNU/Linux, then why is there never a single non-meta discussion about actual GNU software (e.g. coreutils, gcc) in these threads?

Most of what I see is related to user software, the user interface (e.g. DE) and the OS (e.g. systemd and service daemons). Does GNU glue exist? Sure, for example ‘gcc’ is a very important project. But it doesn't seem to be on the forefront of people's minds when they use and discuss modern Linux systems.

Why don't you make a separate /gnu/ thread for discussing only GNU software and see how much attention it gets?
>>
>>57163240
as allways the archwiki has your answers

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#GUI_configuration
>>
>>57163241
>normie tier
m-mu-muh secret club
>>
>>57163263
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#GUI_configuration
fuck sakes man i hate reading this shite, but thanks
>>
File: 1449936383024.png (274KB, 497x623px) Image search: [Google]
1449936383024.png
274KB, 497x623px
Linux kernel + Android
= Android

NT kernel + Windows userspace
= Windows

Mach kernel + OS X userspace
= OS X

Linux kernel + GNU userspace
= ???
>>
>>57163284
>3
basically install obconf, thats the main configuration tool for openbox
>>
>>57163289
>>57163289
>Linux kernel + GNU userspace
>= ???
Linux!
>>
>>57163289
>Mach kernel + OS X userspace
>= OS X
wrong.

XNU is OS X's kernel

>Linux kernel + GNU userspace
= ???

Linux-libre kernel + GNU userspace = GNU
Linux + GNU's userspace = GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux
>>
>>57163289
>GNU userspace
You mean GNOME? That hasn't really been a GNU project for quite some time now; it's owned by the GNOME Project and primarily driven by Red Hat
>>
>>57163304
thanks saint anon comfytibrius linuxhelperoium
>>
>>57163198
>DE
>Cinnamon
u wot

just get i3 and git gud
>>
>>57163331
Maybe you should re-read >>57163165
>>
>>57163328
keep in mind that openbox comes without a panel and the default menu is basically useless becaus its not generated
>>
>>57163324
He means GNU userspace you faggot.

GNOME is a graphical desktop and is still officially part of the GNU project
>>
>>57163321
kFreeBSD + GNU's userspace = GNU/kFreeBSD
HURD + GNU's userspace = GNU/HURD
>>
>>57163354
Very good anon.
>>
>>57163352
>He means GNU userspace you faggot.
AKA GNOME? What other GNU-affiliated userspace is there that people actually use apart from GNOME?

Also, what does that make a KDE-based desktop, where there is effectively no more GNU software in the critical chain at all?
>>
>>57163348
yes i am aware of that... why the fuck don't they have an option for plebs to make it easier? fuck man they don't even include the cfg think you linked me to
>>
>>57163348
>>57163367
Openbox is REALLY not what you want to be using if your goal is to have a non-autism, easy-to-use window manager.
>>
File: 1474794810514.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
1474794810514.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>57163354
>>57163321
>>57163289
There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of it's kernels.
>>
Retard question. How do you make a python shell run the contents of a script file so he'll understand the functions I've defined inside it?

#! /usr/python or whichever is the correct path is for BASH, right?

Somewhat related, why does emacs call the shell he opens when I tell him to run code an "inferior shell"?
>>
>>57163364
>hat other GNU-affiliated userspace is there that people actually use apart from GNOME?
were you born after 2000?

bash w/ gnu coreutils
>>
>>57163404
>Somewhat related, why does emacs call the shell he opens when I tell him to run code an "inferior shell"?
emacs is but a humble editor tending to it's extensions
>>
>>57163380
why not?
1.install openbox and obconf and you have an easy to configure wm

2.install tint2 and you have an easy to configure panel

3.install obmenu and you can easily configure the menu

4.install dmenu and bind it to a hotkey combination for an easy to use launcher

its really easy to setup configure and use.
>>
>>57163417
Okay, so a small and optional component of a system that 99.9% of Linux users are perfectly fine to avoid suddenly makes the entire operating system ‘belong’ to the GNU project?

A 100-line ‘mv’ binary suddenly makes GNU important enough to mention it by name whenever talking about a distro?

Also, most people I know use zsh instead of bash.
>>
>>57163380
well than what the fuck you recommended xfce? i thought that shit is dead because /g/ says so. all fucking de and wm are shit man. i like the idea of linux, is it executed well? no. is it a cluster fuck? yes.
>>
>>57163430
doesn't debian and fedora have their own obconfig thing that auto does most of that
>>
>>57163451
dont know never used either of those
>>
>>57163440
I already recommended Cinnamon

Also, Xfce is a DE and not a window manager. You're thinking of Xfwm. And no, I wouldn't recommend it, because it's pretty useless/garbage out of the box and requires lots of setup to work nearly as well as something like Cinnamon does out of the box.

Cinnamon is IMO hands-down the best default option for people who don't want to set anything up and want a “normal”, windows-like UI that doesn't require autism.
>>
>>57163440
xfce is alive and well, they are just slower development.
>xfce-terminal just had an update yesterday
>>
>>57163434
>Okay, so a small and optional component of a system that 99.9% of Linux users are perfectly fine to avoid suddenly makes the entire operating system ‘belong’ to the GNU project?
No it doesn't. That's why it's referred to as GNU/Linux and official "GNU" operating system uses a fork of Linux called Linux-libre which is more compatible with their ideals of not-containing-any-proprietary-code

>Also, most people I know use zsh instead of bash.
In western countries it's not a shame to be friends with a bunch of homosexuals anon.
>>
File: 1476842933737.png (751KB, 1514x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1476842933737.png
751KB, 1514x4000px
>>57161605
Allow me
>>
>>57163428

Literally everyone here tells me emacs is some kind of eldricht war-machine that's basically a cult. Admittedly, they all use vim, so I dunno. To be honest it's pretty neat to discover, if not quite intuitive. But you didn't answer my question.
>>
>>57163243
>If GNU is the most important characteristic of GNU/Linux, ...
I said freedom.
GNU != freedom
>then why is there never a single non-meta discussion about actual GNU software (e.g. coreutils, gcc) in these threads?
Just because something isn't discussed very much, that doesn't mean it isn't good or important.

And again, I was saying freedom, not GNU. GNU just happens to be the primary catalyst/originator of the free software movement (or open source, if you prefer) and it's exactly what Stallman laid out in his original GNU manifesto. The history and influence of GNU is more than just the coreutils, which have plenty of alternatives at this point. There's also the licenses, ethics, and awareness of software freedom that GNU and the FSF are about.
>>
>>57163531
from masteringemacs.org

>The inferior shell is what you get when you run M-x shell. It is a wrapper around your default shell. It is governed by explicit-shell-file-name, the ESHELL environment variable or shell-file-name, in that order.

>All shell does is redirect the input and output to Emacs, and that means interactive console programs (like top, ssh, midnight commander, etc.) won’t work properly.

>This limitation can be a problem as, traditionally, some UNIX apps behave differently (by suppressing the prompt for instance) if they detect their input and output is redirected. To get around this, some programs will let you force it to run in interactive mode.
>>
File: 1462481732864-1.png (137KB, 526x436px) Image search: [Google]
1462481732864-1.png
137KB, 526x436px
Wifi still not working
I'm going mad.
>>
>>57163472
>No it doesn't. That's why it's referred to as GNU/Linux and official "GNU" operating system uses a fork of Linux called Linux-libre which is more compatible with their ideals of not-containing-any-proprietary-code
You're dodging the isuse. You have yet to name more than a trivial 100-line software that college students frequently reimplement as part of an exercise and is somehow supposed to be a critical component of an operating system to justify your claims.

Let's look under the hood of a modern linux distro:

>Storage abstraction, file systems
Linux, systemd+`mount`
>Interface between the hardware and programs that run on it
Linux
>A way to start programs
Linux, DE
>Interrupt handling and device drivers
Linux
>Memory management, paging and virtual memory
Linux
>Multitasking, scheduling
Linux, systemd, crond
>Networking
Linux, systemd-networkd or `ifup`
>Security, privileges, separation
Linux
>Device initialization, enumeration and hotplugging
Linux, udev/systemd
>Event logging
journald, syslogd
>Boot process and bring up an interactive system
systemd, sysvinit/OpenRC/etc.
all non-GNU software. I could go on and on and on.

The only major essentially GNU software I can think of that's part of the core OS is GRUB, and even that's being phased out in favor booting Linux directtly from UEFI.

Pretty much no part of the OS is affiliated with GNU in any way. I have no idea why the GNU software is so egoistic as to constantly assume people are using their shitty code. Go use Guix and HURD if you want to fellate Stallman's ego.
>>
>>57163404
The best way is to use env, which finds the python binary wherever it is.
#!/usr/bin/env python

If you're using Arch, you need to specify the version, eg.:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
or
#!/usr/bin/env python3

since Arch is retarded.
>>
>>57163501
Thanks
I'm surprised no one has jumped up to defend apt yet
>>
>>57163580
Try to compile linux without GNU. Also learn to clib.
>>
>>57163580
Forgot
>Software installation, package management
dpkg, rpm, ebuild etc. + frontends
>>
>>57163594
You should always specify the version
>>
>>57163627
Better practice, yep.
>>
>>57163610
Oh, so people writing code in some programming language X suddenly makes the authors of X claim “ownership” rights over the code?

What about all of the other compilers I have installed like clang/llvm, GHC, interpreters like python/ruby/perl etc. and the likes?

Are you telling me that, say, mpv should start renaming itself to GNU/mpv because it's written in C?
>>
File: 1472034565249.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472034565249.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>>57163580
RMS kickstarted the whole thing.
Without GNU, without FSF there would be no free software and there would be no Linux (as it would drown in much superior competition of the time).

If it bothers you so much install busybox, purge glibc from your installation, stop using software affiliated with GNU project and make your own friendly non-gnu Linux thread aka /fnglt/.

Or write an angry e-mail to RMS, he's so autistic he will probably respond unless you'll throw a childish tantrum and insult him.

Stop complaining and do something about it. Walk the walk
>>
>>57163638
Try to compile Linux with anything but gcc
>>
>>57163564
If you're the Arch guy: just reinstall everything and this time install iw and wpa_supplicant when pacstrapping. I made the same mistake as you.
>>
File: rms-paint.jpg (148KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rms-paint.jpg
148KB, 1080x1080px
>>57163580
GNU is the idea of a free operating system. The license is pretty widespread, and FSF endorsed licenses (most open source licenses are) almost always have their inspiration from the GPL.

>Linux
licensed under GNU GPL
>systemd
licensed under GNU LGPL
>Every notable DE
licensed under GNU GPL/LGPL
>udev
licensed under GNU GPL
>sysvinit
licensed under GNU GPL
>OpenRC
licensed under Simplified BSD (GPL compatible)

All licensed under GNU GPL (or GPL compatible) licenses. I could go on and on.

Freedom is the defining characteristic of GNU/Linux or "The Linux OS that isn't Android or a different thing that uses Linux as the kernel". Whatever you like to call it, I guess.
>>
>>57163650
>RMS kickstarted the whole thing.
Yes, and? How does that give him claim to name of modern Linux software, used in the 21st century and not affiliated in any way with legacy GNU tools?
>>
Way to get firefox to use gnomes global dark theme? Even if it's only the titlebar.
>>
What is the ultimate "itjustwerks" distro?
Asking because my wifi is all fucked up and i tried nearly everything.
>>
>>57163650
>>57163654
>If it bothers you so much install busybox, purge glibc from your installation, stop using software affiliated with GNU project and make your own friendly non-gnu Linux thread aka /fnglt/.
>Try to compile Linux with anything but gcc
Once again, you're completely missing the point. I'm not saying you aren't allowed to use GNU software, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't use the name ‘GNU’ to refer to non-GNU software.

By calling it “GNU/Linux” you are implying that the distribution of GNU and Linux code is roughly equal, when in reality it's about 99% Linux and 1% GNU, if even. Using the name GNU/Linux gives undue reputation to an organization that has fuck all to do with the software used in actual, real-world Linux distros. (As opposed to GNU/Hurd)

>Stop complaining and do something about it. Walk the walk
My complaint is about the fact that people use the label GNU to refer to non-GNU software. What exactly am I supposed to do about it other than telling you to stop?

Also,
>implying
I contribute to FOSS software on a daily basis, none of it GNU. And I would take great offense if people start calling my software “GNU software”, because I don't want to be affiliated with that festering pile of shit code.
>>
>>57163770
GPL != GNU
>>
>>57163770
>Licensing something under the MIT license makes it an MIT project
>Licensing something under the BSD license makes it a BSD project
>Licensing something under the GNU license makes it a GNU project
Freetard logic
>>
>>57163844
The one you made yourself
>>
The real question is, why do people hate Freedom and the root of it, GNU/RMS?

Got nonfree programs and need to tell yourself that freedom is shit anyway to feel better? Is this why people cripple their system down to embedded system functionality? Don't be sad guys. Some nonfree programs still isn't as bad as windows. No need to go full retarded.
>>
>>57163844
inb4 flame war

openSuse, Ubuntu, Fedora.
>>
Which distro do I install for my mother, xubuntu, mint or something else?
She's used to windows look and feel and she'll mostly use it for office work web browsing.
>>
>>57163844
>What is the ultimate "itjustwerks" distro?
Ubuntu
>>
>>57163804
he doesn't
>>
>>57163894
Ubuntu + Cinnamon

Trust me
>>
>>57163883
People don't hate Gnu or RMS, they hate stupid fanboys
>>
>>57163905
Then why are you calling it GNU/Linux when GNU has fuck-all to do with the software that makes up the OS?
>>
>>57163883
Probably because they were angry about being interjected
>>
>>57163844
Ubuntu
>>
File: file.png (246KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
246KB, 1366x768px
>>57163839
I recommend these addons for Firefox:
Htitle (in the settings, check "Always on"):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/htitle/
Stylish + custom window buttons (numix theme):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stylish/
https://userstyles.org/styles/108648/custom-window-controls
the official Mozilla dark theme from Firefox Developer edition:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/devedition-theme-enabler/?src=search
>>
>>57163921
If you use gnu with linux you use gnu with linux. If you use gnu with bsd you use gnu with bsd, if you use gnu with minix you use gnu with minix.
If you use no gnu but linux, you use your (hupster edgy contrarian) userspace with linux.
>>
It's always funny to see people hating on GNU, but later, when they try to sell Linux to normies, Freedom is cool again. "Use Linux, it gives you freedom and full control about your computer!" or "Enjoy your botnet, cuck".

:^)
>>
>>57163889
none of them make my wifi work
lads i...
>>
>>57163883
I hate GNU because they write dogshit garbage bloat code. Everything affiliated with GNU is almost universally cancer.

It's like suckless, you just learn to stay away from the label.
>>
>>57163965
what fucking card do you have, then?
>>
>>57163975
The world needs radicals.
>>
>>57163981
intel 3160
Bluetooth works
Wifi doesnt.
>>
>>57163962
meanwhile vanilla linux is full of binary blobs, which isn't so bad, because if your hardware doesn't support free drivers, it needs something to run, but claiming linux makes you free is retarded, indeed
>>
>>57163949
Thanks for this. The bright white was killing my eyes.
>>
>>57163955
Okay, so by your logic I'm using Linux/systemd/LLVM/clang/Haskell/GHC/xmonad/redhat/python/perl/zsh/dracut/solaris/qt/dbus/ebuild/portage?

That's too long, I'll just call it Linux instead. Maybe Linux/systemd
>>
I thought this was supposed to be FRIENDLY thread.
>>
>>57164033
Just use GNU, it's shorter.
>>
how do I mark/flag/show my swap as /swap? I checked the mountpoint thing and there's nothing there for swap

check I check the swap box and make the edit it still stays/shows as /
>>
>>57164033
sorry, forgot to append a ‘GNU’ to the end. I forgot I was using coreutils
>>
File: project-mira.png (174KB, 1052x580px) Image search: [Google]
project-mira.png
174KB, 1052x580px
Just starting with linux and installed Ubuntu, how do I my project screen on my wifi enabled TV, kinda like the castscreen of cyanogenmod
>>
>>57164046
>Microsoft Windows is too long, let's just call it ‘Mac’ instead
>>
File: 1451674105871.png (2KB, 210x138px) Image search: [Google]
1451674105871.png
2KB, 210x138px
Just ask the OS itself guys.
>>
>>57164071
Have you tried googling it, faggot?
>>
>>57164048
use mkswap to make a file or partition swap

in fstab you mark swap like this
/path/to/swap none swap defaults 0 0
>>
>>57164089
>googling
Enkoy your botnet.
>>
>>57164084
$ uname
Linux
>>
>>57163462
>>57163468
fuck my boy pussy. i quit back to the botnet i go
>>
>>57164110
SYNOPSIS
uname [OPTION]...

DESCRIPTION
Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s.

-s, --kernel-name
print the kernel name

-o, --operating-system
print the operating system
>>
Is there any advantage to using Ubuntu 16.04 over 14.04?

The time has finally come to replace my mother's aging T42, I have an L420 I got for free so I was thinking of just throwing in an SSD and installing 14.04 from the DVD I already have, rather than downloading again. I also figured it will run more smoothly, although I do not know if that is a legitimate concern for an i5-2410M with 4 gigs of RAM.
>>
>>57164130
SEE ALSO
arch(1), uname(2)

Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/uname>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) uname invocation'

GNU coreutils 8.25 January 2016 UNAME(1)

>written by gnutard
>reports OS as GNU/Linux

Geee i wonder why
>>
>>57164178
>ITS A LIE, THE OS IS LYING, ITS ALL GNU LIES
>>
>>57164178
do you think theres a conspiration going on in your system?
>>
>>57164084
$ uname -o
>GNU/Microsoft
>>
File: gnushills.png (20KB, 1022x1062px) Image search: [Google]
gnushills.png
20KB, 1022x1062px
>>57164084
Holy shit, the delusional GNU fuckers sure are desperate
>>
>>57164238
>>57164202
>uname is the OS

Gnushills are trying hard today
>>
>>57164277
>GNU/kFreeBSD
Plesae tell me this is a joke
>>
Better remove "Friendly" from the thread name next time.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Can't we all just get along ;_;
>>
>>57164327
There are many ports. Debian/kFreeBSD and Parabola/kFreeBSDfire for example.
>>
>>57164277
>>57164327
Nothing a simple patch can't fix

diff -u -r coreutils-8.25.old/m4/host-os.m4 coreutils-8.25/m4/host-os.m4
--- coreutils-8.25.old/m4/host-os.m4 2016-01-01 14:45:55.000000000 +0100
+++ coreutils-8.25/m4/host-os.m4 2016-10-20 23:09:42.086306013 +0200
@@ -48,7 +48,7 @@
mint*) os='MiNT';;
mingw*) os='MinGW';;
lynxos*) os='LynxOS';;
- linux*) os='GNU/Linux';;
+ linux*) os='Linux';;
hpux*) os='HP-UX';;
hiux*) os='HI-UX';;
gnu*) os='GNU';;
>>
>>57164363
>hqdefault.jpg
>>>/r/eddit/
>>
File: 1476920822152.png (129KB, 1002x537px) Image search: [Google]
1476920822152.png
129KB, 1002x537px
>>57159355
>>
>>57163501
>>57163604

You're both idiots. That picture has nothing to do with apt. It only showcases Debian's more explicit dependency naming compared to Arch, which doesn't name assumed packages.
Kill yourself for the 2nd time, because that's the 2nd time you've posted your retarded image.
>>
File: 1475648095035.png (133KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1475648095035.png
133KB, 2000x2000px
>>57164369
>Debian/kFreeBSD
Nice logo.
>>
What is the difference between xfce4 and xfcwm4 or w/e? how do use both

also with xfce4 why the hell cant i move icons on my panels like in gnome...

fug
>>
>>57164418

xfwm4 is xfce's window manager. You ARE using both.
>>
>>57164418
xfwm4 is the window manager for the xfce environment. http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/introduction

right click the icons and click move maybe?
>>
mpv says
mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libnetcdf.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and I recently updated

how do I reverse it, does pacman keep a log
>>
>>57164495
did you build mpv yourself?
>>
>>57164427
>>57164441
OK HOW DO MOVE THE FUCKING SOUND, CLOCK, NOTIFICATION, ETC ICONS AROUND ON A PANEL THEY WILL NOT MOVE I AM SOOO FUCING PISSSED OFF
n
>>
>>57164495
>arch in charge of packaging
>pacman update in charge of not breaking your system
the meme is real
>>
>>57164533
but seriously, this is the first time arch's broken my shit
what the fuck do I do, pls

I need to play some videos asap

>>57164519
no, I installed some binary from pacman repo
>>
>>57164533
Beat me to it
>>
>>57164594
install the old version of netcdf to do this go to /var/cache/pacman/cache and find the previous version of netcdf, probably netcdf 4.4.1rc1
then install the package with pacman -U
sudo pacman -U netcdf-4.4.1rc1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>>57164672
oops its /var/cache/pacman/pkg
>>
>>57164495

Let me guess, you did pacman -Sy at one time.

>>57164533

>user does something that's explicitly said to be wrong
>blames the distribution
>>
Noob question. Trying to mount an internal HDD to /media instead of /media/username. How do?
>>
>>57164842
mount /dev/sdX /media/NIGGERPENIS
>>
>>57164695
>Warning: When installing packages in Arch, avoid refreshing the package list without upgrading the system (for example, when a package is no longer found in the official repositories). In practice, do not run pacman -Sy package_name instead of pacman -Syu package_name, as this could lead to dependency issues. See System maintenance#Partial upgrades are unsupported and BBS#89328.
Holy shit, people talke this “package manager” seriously?
>>
>>57165121
if -u is required why not just do it by default?
>>
File: 1467250107612.jpg (37KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1467250107612.jpg
37KB, 657x527px
Just got a chromebook for shits and giggles.
Which crouton-supported distro should I try first?
>>
>>57165271
I thought all distros worked with chromebooks.
>>
How stable is fedora's updates-testing repos.
>>
>>57158156
Ubuntu now has free live patching. No more reboots to apply CVE fixes.

How do you do it with Arch?
>>
I think Debian used to have an installer with non-free firmware, where did that go? Can't seem to find it. Or am I mixing confusing something?
>>
>>57166274
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>57166280
Thanks.
>>
File: image.png (731KB, 1600x869px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
731KB, 1600x869px
Hey /g/! Does anybody know what theme and icons are these?
>>
>>57166163
Well, i cant really remember the last time i had to reboot an Arch instance .-. but good points to Ubuntu.
>>
I'm going to be installing a new distro soon. In the past I was under the impression that your swap partition should be double your RAM size. Then recently I read that you only need that much if you use hibernation and you need about half your RAM size if you don't.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on that? I have 8 GBs of RAM and don't use hibernate. How much swap should I use? I'd rather be safe than sorry, but don't want to be wasteful either.
2. Is there any way to see a history of swap usage? Like the maximum amount of space that it has ever used or the average amount of time that it has been used? I'd like to see how much I needed in the past to help inform this decision.
>>
>>57166717
I don't even use swap. I've read somewhere that 150% of your RAM is ideal but if you don't use hibernation it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>57166696
>Well, i cant really remember the last time i had to reboot an Arch instance .-. but good points to Ubuntu.
So what you're saying is that your kernel is fucking old and you are open to all kinds of vulns.

Your'e a fucking idiot.
>>
>>57166717
In the past I used to do double the ram for 2gb and under. Then the same size for 4gb and up.
Recently I've just let the distro decide when it gets to that part.
>>
When is Linux going to be replaced with something better?

Seriously, we're still stuck in this timesharing bullshit philosophy. Each computer has one user, stop treating it like it has a team of users.
>>
>>57166668
that is arc theme m9
>>
>>57166837
>he doesn't share his computer
>>
>>57166837
Having only one user would make Linux better? How?
>>
Is there a good, lightweight text editor that supports regex search? Something of the likes of Leafpad, but with tabs. Also not gedit.
>>
>>57166910
i think vim supports regex
>>
>>57166163
Link? Is this some ksplice-type thing or something else? How do you reload libraries in running programs?
>>
>>57166794
>taking the bait
are you sure you're not the idiot
>>
>>57166944
https://www.ubuntu.com/server/livepatch
>>
>>57166717
I use 16 GiB swap with 32 GiB of RAM. Don't plan on hibernating.
>>
>>57166874
No the entire philosophy is based around the idea that computers have multiple users at one time and that's dumb.
>>
>>57166955
>The Canonical Livepatch Service is available with an Ubuntu Advantage subscription. For existing customers introducing the Canonical Livepatch Service into your existing administrative processes is simple.
The fuck is supposed to be free about this?
>>
>>57166972
they only have more than one user if you want it to. Maybe I'm missing the point but you can have multi users on windows.
>>
File: users.png (37KB, 1024x341px) Image search: [Google]
users.png
37KB, 1024x341px
>>57166972
>that's dumb
okay
>>
>>57166972
Users doesn't necessarily mean "people", for servers it's obviously necessary and for desktops it allows for easy privilege separation, how is it "dumb"? And you didn't answer how not having users would make Linux better. The functionality would have to be replaced by something else and it would probably not be as versatile and simple as the concept of users.
>>
>>57167018
>>57167034
Great for servers... not great for personal computing.
>>
>>57167057
It's also great for shared computers. One person can be sitting in front of a computer that another person is logging into remotely. Or one person can have a locked session while another user is free to use the same computer in the meantime.

These things do happen in practice, and the session tracking in particular was one of the things systemd's logind got right (which I can't say for any of the solutions before). So clearly even in very modern-day software, people are putting a high emphasis on handling multi-user well.
>>
>>57164672
>sudo pacman -U netcdf-4.4.1rc1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
thanks
this really helped
>>
>>57166990
It's mostly for servers, Oracle and Red Hat both charge for this, Ubuntu makes it free for up to 3 servers.

>>57167057
Answer the question.
>>
>>57167161
>Free for up to 3 servers
so it's not free then, gotcha

stupid ruse
>>
>>57167191
It's free with conditions, Gmail is free but there's conditions. Red Hat, Oracle, SuSE only have time trials, then you have to pay for a subscription, so it's better than the competition in that regard.
>>
>>57167191
http://betanews.com/2016/10/20/how-to-enable-free-canonical-livepatch-service-linux-kernel-live-patch-ubuntu/
>>
If I put a lightweight GNU/Linux on an old 400 MHz computer, do you think I could do programming C++ (with templates) with relatively sane compile times? I have an older laptop with a 1.6 GHz processor, and compiling anything big with it is awful, but that might just be because it has cooling issues.

Has anyone tried this? I want to go full George R.R. Martin, except with programming instead of writing rape fantasy.
>>
>>57166717
Does anyone know the answer to my second question? Are there logs of swap usage?
>>
I'm trying to compile the 4.7 kernel with the grsecurity patch. Patching and configuring the kernel works but when I do make to start compilation I get this:
kernel/sysctl.c:678:19: error: ‘proc_dointvec_minmax_secure’ undeclared here (not in a function)
.proc_handler = proc_dointvec_minmax_secure,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/sysctl.c:689:19: error: ‘proc_dostring_modpriv’ undeclared here (not in a function)
.proc_handler = proc_dostring_modpriv,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/sysctl.c: In function ‘proc_dointvec_minmax_secure_sysadmin’:
kernel/sysctl.c:2399:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘proc_dointvec_minmax_secure’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
return proc_dointvec_minmax_secure(table, write, buffer, lenp, ppos);
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:290: kernel/sysctl.o] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:991: kernel] Error 2

And yes, I know I could just install it from the repository.
>>
>>57167845
There are no logs of swap. You can monitor swap (and other things) with sar if you wish, it's usually in a package called sysstat.
>>
>>57167921
Thanks.
>>
>>57167920
Is there more to the error?
>>
File: monitoring.png (74KB, 1690x851px) Image search: [Google]
monitoring.png
74KB, 1690x851px
>>57166717
>2. Is there any way to see a history of swap usage? Like the maximum amount of space that it has ever used or the average amount of time that it has been used? I'd like to see how much I needed in the past to help inform this decision.

>netdata (realtime graphs + alarms)
>munin (long-term graphs)
>icinga2 (near-realtime notifications)

take your pick
>>
File: 1366982165.6731.jpg (156KB, 722x320px) Image search: [Google]
1366982165.6731.jpg
156KB, 722x320px
>Installed ubuntu on home computer
>Same network, same ISP
>Internet speed in ubuntu 1MB/s or more faster than in Windows 10.

What is going on?
>>
>>57168046
You probably have less programs using the internet since you have a fresh install.

Win10 telemetry doesn't take up 1 MB/s, though.
>>
>>57168046
>>57168062
Better TCP/IP implementation?
>>
Alright, /fglt/

I've been using Xubuntu for a while now, but I'm looking to switch off. I'm starting to think that the annoying quirks are related to Ubuntu, and I'd like to try something new.

I enjoy XFCE a whole lot, but I'm not against trying a new DE (though I'm not partial to LXDE). Any recommends?
>>
>>57168223
what kind of quirks?

If you want to stick with apt-get you could always go debian. If you don't mind leaving debian based fedoras xfce spin has always treated me well.
arch + xfce is pretty comfy too
>>
>>57167951
There are several like this:
warning: objtool: .altinstr_replacement+0x0: special: can't find new instruction

But other than that, none on screen. I don't really know where else to check.
>>
>>57168318
One of the issues is that I can't set the main display to anything but the left most screen in a multimonitor set up. The other is crashing on renaming files. Just the window manager crashes, and it doesn't happen everytime. But if I have to rename more than 1 file, I can pretty much guarantee it will happen. The missing mouse on wake is also an issue.
>>
>>57168318
>>57168433

I should add that if I could get rid of the mouse on wake and renaming crashing the window explorer problems, I'd be completely happy with xubuntu. The main monitor issue isn't really a problem, I've since rearranged my desk and it makes sense that my left most monitor is my main now.
>>
>>57168433
>The other is crashing on renaming files. Just the window manager crashes, and it doesn't happen everytime. But if I have to rename more than 1 file, I can pretty much guarantee it will happen.

That's a bug on Thunar. I'm still trying to find a solution as Thunar is my favourite file manager, mostly because of the interface and the option of creating a custom action based on bash commands.
>>
>>57168453
for the mouse have you tried https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2320013&s=b0a0e5e94fe6f91f7a8f13e6b27c47d8&p=13472993#post13472993
>>
>>57168479
I didn't realize this was Thunar related. So switching to Nautilus or something means I won't worry about that anymore? I'm not too worried about looks, I just want something fairly speedy and light.

>>57168540
I have not, but I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>57168593
A workaround for Thunar is to create a custom rename command that displays a Zenity window and applies the user input as the new filename. It's quite fun to create, but if this sounds a bit too complicated for you, then just go for another file manager.

I personally don't like Nautilus interface for usability reasons, not looks. It isn't speedy or light either.
>>
>>57168675
I'd be down to learn if there's somewhere I can go for the basics/gist of making a rename command.

I'm still pretty green when it comes to linux, it's been my daily driver for the past 5 months, but that really only means I sit on it and do homework.

Otherwise, if you've got a recommendation for something to use in place of Thunar, I'm down to try that too.

Thanks so much for the help, just being able to rename stuff will be a huge help for assignments and general use.
>>
What's the point of screen/tmux? Why not open a second terminal?
>>
>>57168811
1. For remote connections (think SSH)
2. For when you don't have an X session running
>>
>>57168811
I used screen today while sshed into a supercomputer
>>
I'm moving hard drives and I want to avoid dual booting windows on it. However I gotta play my gaems.
How well does ReactOS work? Does anybody have any success stories of league of legends working in arch linux? I've tried the AUR package and setting up wine from the wiki article but both ran into errors in the launcher...
>>
>>57166966
Why do you have swap at all? Waste of disk space desu
>>
>>57169452
Why don't you quit league and just play Dota on Linux
>>
>>57166837
you can run linux in single-user mode, but that's a shit idea
even with one human user, it's still a good idea from a security perspective to run certain programs under their own users with their own permissions
>>
>>57168811
remote machines, persistent terminal when closing/reloading X

screen/tmux can be disconnected from and reconnected to
multiplexing is just a bonus
>>
>>57164398
Aww looks like someone is in chronic denial
>>
>>57169452
i play league in arch.
It realy easy and it runs great.
I use wine staging with d3dx9_36.dll and vcrun2012.
Also i added x3d_platform=1 to game.cfg
i use primusrun becase i have optimus.
>>
>>57170446
Aw, looks like someone's twelve years old.
>>
>>57170446

You obviously don't understand anything about packaging or package managers. Therefore you're not qualified to make any shitty pictures, except to convince like-minded idiots that you do.
>>
>>57170606
>>57170654 (Samefag)
Off course, more butthurt damage control. hahaha
>>
>>57170952
Go back to 9gag kid.
>>57170654
>falling for bait made by a 12 year old
Please.
>>
>>57171183
Stop samefagging, little faggot
>>
>>57163177
where can i find those real-world password database leaks, pls anon?
>>
>>57171445
https://gentoo.org/
>>
>>57158156
I like the look of i3-gaps, and i like the idea of atiling wm, but I dont want to have to install anything that I dont have available straight from my package manager.

Is there anything that has a similar aesthetic which might be in the ubuntu 16.04 repos?
>>
>>57171787
I think bspwm is in the repos.
>>
>>57171787

Learn to package software yourself.
>>
File: 1450685096015.jpg (83KB, 560x682px) Image search: [Google]
1450685096015.jpg
83KB, 560x682px
How do you make a custom key to insert a symbol?
In Libre Calc I need to insert the following symbols may times.
• ‣
But using the Alt + number isn't helpful.
Is there a way to reassign the numpad for example?
>>
>>57163381
>Implying the linux kernel couldnt be used with a seperate userland.
>>
>>57171851
xbindkeys + xdotool
xdotool type --delay 0 '• ‣'

>>57171872
Doesn't change the fact that GNU with Linux is indeed GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57171895
>xbindkeys + xdotool
Both of these aren't install by default.
Also it's not • and ‣, but • is seperate from ‣.
So I set
xdotool type --delay 0 '‣'
xdotool type --delay 0 '•'

How to use the xbindkeys?
>>
>>57171953
via ~/.xbindkeysrc

If you're lazy, there's also a GUI configuration package called xbindkeys-config, if I remember correctly.

You could also just use whatever DE you're using to set up the keys.
>>
>>57171970
So I put
"xdotool type --delay 0 '‣'"
Num1

Currently using XFCE.
>>
>>57172014
Yup, if it doesn't work, try:

sh -c 'xdotool type --delay 0 "‣"'
>>
>>57172030
>sh -c
Why the -c is needed here? I see this many times but couldn't understand what the man page mean.
Also thanks for replying.
>>
>>57172050
sh -c 'foobar' runs foobar in a (usually pretty basic and fast) shell. Same with bash -c 'foobar'. Without the -c flag it looks for a file called foobar to run.
>>
>>57172087
>sh -c 'foobar' runs foobar in a (usually pretty basic and fast) shell
except on archmeme linux, where sh starts a full blown bash shell :^)
>>
>>57172087
So you mean it's like a vault?
>>57172097
What difference does that make?
>>
>>57172097

Yes, and you could totally tell the difference between something running in Bash or in Dash. If you can notice the difference for average, normal user every day stuff between Bash and Dash, then you should get a computer from this century.

Kill yourself meme spouter.
>>
>>57172118
>What difference does that make?
speed, not that noticable in small scripts, but linking sh to bash makes people program bash shell scripts, because posix sh doesn't understand bashisms, so people write #!/bin/sh scripts, which are actually bash scripts and break on other systems
>>
>>57172162
-bash
+bad
>>
File: You.png (89KB, 627x722px) Image search: [Google]
You.png
89KB, 627x722px
>>57172137
Reminds me of the python problem. Is there anything that isn't either autistic or broken on Arch?
>>
>>57172097
>sh starts a full blown bash shell
Wait, what's wrong with that?
>>
>>57172185
you can just add 2 to the script
>>
>>57171895
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. It's:
Linux/GNU, or as some people say, Linux + GNU.
Try to get it right next time.

Not that it matters. It will soon be:
Linux/systemd
once systemd finishes eating userland.
>>
>>57172209
you can just use a distro which doesn't need to be fixed first
>>
>>57172227
>le ebic systemd maymay xDD
>>
>>57172245
go to bed, Lennart
>>
>>57172306
Take your pills, haxor
>>
Test post, please ignore.
>>
>>57172228
Or use a better programming language.
>>
>>57172346
ok
>>
*starts hacking this thread*
>>
>>57172351
Yay! I'm not banned anymore!
>>
*starts a new thread*
>>57172362
>>57172362
>>57172362
>>
i'm a hacker lol
i just hacked this thread
lamo
>>
File: 1452232855220.png (261KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1452232855220.png
261KB, 512x384px
>>57172374
Welcome back.
>>
>>57172396
did you hack reddit and twitter
>both offline
>>
>>57172585
Yes, she did.
>>
>>57172585
yeah i did
lmao i'm so based i literally hacked every single www website on the internet i'm the internet god
>>
>>57172228

If I switch distributions then I have to fix the other distributions package manager, its packages (because they don't suit my package needs) and other distribution specific things.
Only a retard like you would switch distributions because of that.
>>
File: leak.png (17KB, 620x394px) Image search: [Google]
leak.png
17KB, 620x394px
>>57171445
You could literally google for it and find magnet links

this really isn't that hard
>>
>>57169452
I ran league just fine on ubuntu a while ago (last time the non-random URF was available, only game mode worth playing)

Don't remember running into any major difficulties. I used the playonlinux script though
>>
>>57172350
>arch's braindead packaging is somehow the programming language's fault
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.