[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /libreboot/? Any good reason I shouldn't buy this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

File: fullfreetard.jpg (28KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
fullfreetard.jpg
28KB, 560x420px
Aside from the price which isn't much of an issue to me, what are the downsides to a libreboot laptop? Comments from fellow owners?

>inb4 windows and mac trolls
>inb4 trannyboot
I'm well aware of proprietary software and have a desktop for that stuff when I need it and I seriously couldn't care less that one dev wants to turn his willy inside out.
>>
>what are the downsides to a libreboot laptop
it's associated organization favors only one political party
>>
File: 1476491729532.gif (2MB, 359x346px) Image search: [Google]
1476491729532.gif
2MB, 359x346px
>>57081075
Fortunately we all know every political party that one can legally support is run by these guys.
>>
>>57081075
>favors one political party
not exactly. Sounded like Libreboot fired a trans dev and the trans dev complained it was "discrimination" based rather than performance-based. Libreboot contends it was performance based, but the whole thing came up because some famous developer or something decided to virtue-signal about it without realizing the trans dev wasn't actually being discriminated against. Libreboot doesn't give a shit if you have a cactus for a vagina, it's all the same for them, they don't care, their users don't care.
>>
>>57081075
>what are the downsides to a libreboot laptop
you will be unable to utilize any discrete GPUs installed in your machine and will instead have to rely on the piss slow integrated Intel GMA chip
>>
>>57081198
>unable to utilize any discrete GPUs installed
Pajeet please save your subcontinental niggerdom for threads about muh gaymen.
>>
>>57081215

More like being able to watch 720p/60 video, fagg.

Alternately 1080p video if you're using an external monitor.
>>
>>57081063
do they source brand new thinkpads?
>>
>>57081233
my t400 has libreboot on it and plays 1080p/60 video just fine.
>>
Has anyone tried installing libreboot on a laptop that wasn't mentioned in their compatibility list?
How did it go?
Supposedly it's possible but I'm not brave enough to.
>>
>>57081063
it's ancient hardware. core2duo from '08. it'll run like shit which is why it's marketed to purists.

if you want a cheap laptop, just hit up >>>/g/tpg
>>
>>57081116
>Libreboot fired a trans dev
>Libreboot contends it was performance based
>Libreboot doesn't give a shit
You mean the FSF right? The person fired worked at the FSF. The person who complained is the one who developed Libreboot.
>>
>>57081116
I mean GNU you idiot. GNU favors only democracy, doesn't give a shit about republicans.
>>
File: shot0018.png (954KB, 676x480px) Image search: [Google]
shot0018.png
954KB, 676x480px
>>57081063
I have librebooted X200.
The only downside is the lack of tp_smapi and Windows (R) that's it.
I have superior fast booting time, ability to install any hardware that I want to into PCI ports, ability to have fully encrypted GNU/Linux setup and GRUB as payload and of course no any fucking blob.
Don't buy already flashed Thinkpads, go for used on and flash it yourself.
>>
how do you get "fired" from the libreboot project?
>>
>>57084655
Nobody gives a fuck about republicans, that's why there is a new right.
>>
>>57087416
OP is confused. He/She was fired by the FSF.
>>
File: Yang Yuanquing.jpg (18KB, 400x273px) Image search: [Google]
Yang Yuanquing.jpg
18KB, 400x273px
>>57081238
LOL
>>
>>57081116
the fsf fired some mentally sick degenerate.

libreboot team threw a tantrum over this
>>
>>57087873
>libreboot team
You mean one brain-damaged fellow tranny. The rest of the team said it was on it's own.
>>
is it possible for them to libreboot other thinkpads?
>>
I don't understand why thinkpad just doesn't make more good thinkpads
>>
nothing wrong with coreboot, cyanogenmod, or loadable firmwares not in os cpu/memory
>>
File: sc.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
sc.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I can provide some information about Libreboot if anyone is interested (technical info, not SJW drama as I'm not up to date on it)
>>57081063
you can easily flash it yourself, no reason to dump money on it. It's fairly simple. The official documentation is a bit less user friendly but there are good guides to supplement it
>>57082630
won't work unless it's pre 2008 chipsets and you port it over yourself

libreboot is just deblobbed coreboot afterall

>>57082646
The point of libreboot is to get rid of proprietary low level firmware. Their goals have nothing to do with providing cheap hardware
>>57089264
no, due to manufacturers like Intel making their newer chipsets impossible to run with unsigned firmware by design. There is a more indepth technical explanation if interested
>>57090048
the difference between the firmware you mentioned and libreboot is that libreboot removes all proprietary boot elements from its firmware. Coreboot and others keep proprietary blobs
>>
>>57089502
that's a complex question with an answer that has to do with Lenovo, manufacturer and consumer trends, and social problems such as loss of privacy and control over your device
>>
>>57090173
two definitions of binary blobs. firmware that is loaded by the operating system and not run in kernelspace (obviously) is not a binary blob, it's just a firmware that instead of being on the device it is loaded by the OS when asked. blobs are literally drivers that require all sorts of bullshit like nda and result in code that runs in the actual os
>>
>>57090282
also stallman is wrong here, just as he was wrong with the openbsd ports tirade and the debian gfdl issue. he's my nigga but he ain't always right and sometimes does damage and cause confustion.
>>
>>57090282
while I understand the technical difference you mentioned it doesn't change the fact that proprietary firmware not in kernelspace is still harmful as proven with intel ME
>>
>>57090544
yeah but it's not the job of a operating system developer to solve those problems
>>
>>57090612
true as well but if it's ignored then you are still having a black box running on some part of your machine, whether at the OS level or above

perhaps I'm confused with the overall point you are trying to support.
>>
>>57089026
Don't know why they even got mad. I didn't.
>>
>>57090644
my point is fsf, as much as I support them, by telling people not to use debian, coreboot, cyanogenmod, etc... they are going too far. my personal opinion these things are fine.

yes we need freedom more and more, but to expect os developers to deliver it all is asking too much. we need a lot more than free firmwares to avoid a black box. to strip coreboot and call it libreboot only gives a terribly false blanket of security for a user of libreboot when there are so many additional issues that need to be addressed.
>>
The only benefit of running libreboot is that its easier to develop libreboot.

For everyone else its shit.
>>
>>57087430
Hate to break it to you anon, but the alt right is controlled opposition by the globalists. Reject the label of alt right, but keep the nationalism because it's real.
>>
>>57090887
>muh civic nationalism
You have to go back.
>>
>>57090755
>my point is fsf, as much as I support them, by telling people not to use debian, coreboot, cyanogenmod, etc... they are going too far. my personal opinion these things are fine.
I absolutely agree with this. Having a purist approach is ideological and strict ideology is stupidity in a fancy wrapper. People would be much happier and open to ideological input when they get a chance to use any open software (whether GNU, BSD, etc) and see the power and freedom that it brings them.

You don't need to force someone onto Librebooted Trisquel from a proprietary OS. This is intimidating to the user. Many people get introduced into FOSS (notice I say FOSS, as in free and open source camps) by using software that is a mix of free and proprietary components. It's also getting more and more difficult to run a free system with modern hardware (we will probably need to move away from X86 and have major free hardware projects to get even close to a truly free system)

Putting all these things into consideration a purist approach in this complex of a subject will never reach many people. I'm exactly like you in the fact that I support the FSF while reserving my criticism to their approaches.
>>
>>57090913
What are you talking about? The label is controlled by the globalists with fags like milo. They want a big bad bogeyman to blame all their enemies on.
>>
>>57090755

>o strip coreboot and call it libreboot only gives a terribly false blanket of security for a user of libreboot when there are so many additional issues that need to be addressed.
another valid point. While Libreboot might provide a closer-to-free system it is a stagnant project that will never develop for new X86 systems due to how AMD and Intel have chosen to implement their firmware. People need to be aware of this problem as sitting on an X60 for the rest of our lives, (as ideologically pure and romantic as it might be) is not something I or most that contribute to free software wish it to become.

Sorry for the long blogpost responses but I feel its important to mention this in length
>>
>>57090941
>milo is alt-right
He's not. Even he says that he isn't alt-right. Nice try schlomo.
>>
will you 2 take your bullshit to pol
>>
Anyone ever notice that every service/project/journalism source to ever attempt to bring user freedom or unfiltered truth ends up dealing with some SJW or character defamation crisis? Seems to good to be a coincidence
>>
>>57090951
>People need to be aware
decades of 1984 in high school required reading amoung so much else... i don't know if we can win homie.
>>
>>57090961
He's treated like one and much of the alt right worships him.
>>
Isn't this the software run by a batshit loco tranny?
>>
>>57090984
>much of the alt right worships him
Nomie faggots worship him. The alt-right either doesn't give a fuck about him or hates him for his degeneracy.
>>
>>57090990
no it's based software (coreboot) that someone removed "blobs" from and the ego for this accomplishment allows for some demands and a childish tirade
>>
Hiring trannies is an objectively bad practice and no sane company should do it.
Their mental instability will create workplace drama, guaranteed. Drama that could be avoided by hiring a competent man
>>
>>57091009
>Nomie faggots worship him.
Which is ironically most of the alt right. Normalfags outnumber the ones who hate him. Even stormfront hates the label calling it a bunch of Twitter weirdos giving genuine nationalism a bad name.
>>
>>57091063
>Which is ironically most of the alt right.
Alt-lite is not alt-right.
>>
File: airstrike.jpg (5KB, 200x147px) Image search: [Google]
airstrike.jpg
5KB, 200x147px
this thread
>>
>Under this pov, injustice is destined. The Libreboot project,
once placed under the aegis of GNU, cannot be removed.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>57091098
No, it's the alt right. Anyone with genuine interest in nationalism and isn't a turbo beta meme spewing autist or globalist puppet will reject the label. Donald Trump doesn't even care about you or know who you guys are.
>>
>>57087430
You realize 'republican' in this context means 'one who supports a republic', right? You know that America IS a republic, don't you?

Democracy is dangerous, that's why the only democratic part of American government is supposed to be electing representatives.
>>
>>57091159
Thanks for correcting the record Chaim.
>>
File: staffphoto_sm.png (1MB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
staffphoto_sm.png
1MB, 1000x667px
I wonder which of these qt3.1416s maintains libreboot
>>
File: p1000842.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
p1000842.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>57090937
>notice I say FOSS, as in free and open source camps
“Free and Open Source Software” is misleading in another way: it suggests that “free and open source” names a single point of view, rather than mentioning two different ones. This conceptualization of the field is an obstacle to understanding the fact that free software and open source are different political positions that disagree fundamentally.

Thus, if you want to be neutral between free software and open source, and clear about them, the way to achieve that is to say “FLOSS,” not “FOSS.”

We in the free software movement don't use either of these terms, because we don't want to be neutral on the political question. We stand for freedom, and we show it every time—by saying “free” and “libre”— or “free (libre)”.
>>
>>57091207
Freedom meaning full democratic communism. The only way we can be truly free is to be equals. Property is theft and wage labor is slavery.
>>
>>57091225
Good goyim
>>
>>57091225
As a NEET, I think that'd be pretty cool.
>>
>>57091269
Can't wait for Hillary to censor your bullshit strait off the Internet. I'll work overtime for free just to put all your antisemitic asses in jail.
>>
File: 1369368564773.jpg (76KB, 490x485px) Image search: [Google]
1369368564773.jpg
76KB, 490x485px
>>57091207
While I completely back the FSF putting user freedom as the priority I believe that direct ideological purism is a bad way to promote it as it alienates a base that is either not invested politically or lacks the expertise in the domain to understand differences in terminology

It's funny because GNU still supports some projects on proprietary platforms yet gets is less tolerant to the open source community that is "missing the point" yet is actually using GPL software on freer systems.

I would stop supporting GNU software on proprietary platforms way before I waged an ideological war on the other open camps

tldr I am all for the FSF cause but their means leave much to be desired imo
>>
>>57091296
>l work overtime for free
Nice strawman marxist faggot
>>
File: here.png (34KB, 384x336px) Image search: [Google]
here.png
34KB, 384x336px
>>57091194
>>
>>57091324
The fact you think either of those words is an insult speaks volumes. Your kind won't exist in the near future. I hope you know that.
>>
>>57091194
Not gonna lie, the girl with the skirt is cute in a "i'll bite your dick off" kinda of way
I bet sex with her is wild, painful and slightly bloody.
Do want.
>>
>>57091194
Ugly communist whores
>>
>>57091323
>I believe that direct ideological purism is a bad way to promote it as it alienates a base that is either not invested politically or lacks the expertise in the domain to understand differences in terminology
Agreed. I dunno why they're so strict/pure with their ideology when they have things like the Lesser GPL which I view as a sort of compromise.
>>
>>57091361
>compromise with capitalists
Why would anyone want to end up like Venezuela? Capitalism is deadly even in small amounts.
>>
>>57091377
>Yes (((anon))), capitalism is evil. Support communism goy
>>
>>57091336
He does, that's why he's all spergish
>>
What the fuck is going on in this thread?
>>
>>57091471
pol cross contaminated side conversation
>>
>>57081063
>downsides to a libreboot laptop
The person who runs libreboot is batshit insane.
>>
>using SJWboot
>>
>>57092781
the project doesn't have much life in it at this point anyway with the way AMD and Intel make their new chipsets
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.