[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Distro Fight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: lintimeline2.png (170KB, 1965x1417px) Image search: [Google]
lintimeline2.png
170KB, 1965x1417px
What is your favorite distro? What do you use it for?

Hard mode: "because I'm better than you" and "because I'm not a pleb" are not valid answers.
>>
>>56981341
>What is your favorite distro?
Ubuntu MATE
>What do you use it for?
Everything
>>
distros are the cancer killing Linux
>>
>>56981655
Really? What do you use then anon? What was the golden age of linux?
>>
>>56981776

I use Xubuntu. What I mean by my last post is that there are an awful lot of them, it makes anoying for the new users to pick one. Or even for the people who has used linux for a while to pick another. just look at your pic, is a fuckin distro cuhthulu
>>
Ubuntu MATE, thinking about switching to Arch though.

>>56981341
>>56981655
I've always wondered how Linux would fare if there's only an handful of distinct distros out there: one or two for casuals and gamers, one for servers and a couple for enthusiasts and ricers. It would probably bode very well for Linux' marketshare as there'd be a "common standard" for a specific kind of user. Every Linux user I've met in real life has used a different distro than me.
>>
Linux Mint
>>
>>56981655

THIS.

When I first started trying out Linux I was distrohopping forever and it slowed down my ultimate adoption of Linux over Windows.
>>
>>56981870
I reaaly think one of the reasons why linux isn't gettin most used is this distribution nosense.
I've been using Ubuntu for some years, and I found these reasons to be the most common.
-Windows by default. is like the "normal computers" have windows and Mac have their own OS.
-fear. some people still thinks that linux is a black screen with the command prompt.
-learning curve. Normies tend to dislike learning about computers. they just want games, social media and p0rn/series/movies.

with this conditions, when you get a normie interested on linux and you show them OPs pic, they run back to windows.
>>
Crunchbang
>>
>>56981946
>muh normies
>>>/r9k/
>>
Ubuntu Mate.
What do you use it for?
Is perfect to lazy people.

>Hard mode: "because I'm better than you" and "because I'm not a pleb" are not valid answers.
Install TLP by default.
But the apt still a shit.
>>
File: 1475524280717.jpg (7KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
1475524280717.jpg
7KB, 213x237px
>>56981341
I have really distrohoped a lot.
Have tried (with chronological order:
Debian
Linux Mint
Fedora
openSUSE
Ubuntu
Manjaro
Kali Linux
FreeBSD
so i think i have a good view of what's going on
>inb4 not gentoo
My favorite so far : :
>openSUSE
I really liked Noobunutu but every time had problems with the VirtualBox and some proprientary things. What i really hate about it is has secure boot turned off by default!
I hate :
>Debian
>Linux Mint
>partially Ubuntu
>>
>>56982061

Tried OpenBSD yet?
>>
RASPBIAN!!!
>>
>>56982082
yeah on a vm. I tried to install xfce4 after base install but i couldn't although i followed the steps
>>
>>56982093
Just kys
>>
GNU/Windows
>>
>>56981341
One png that explains why linux is not popular. You can't have that distro crap going on and pretend to bring people on board.
>>
>>56982061
Why do you hate Debian?

I've used these for a significant amount of time:
Ubuntu
Slackware
Debian
(tried out a few others for short amount of time)

I like Debian because it's as easy as Ubuntu, but less proprietary.
>>
>>56981341
Ubuntu Server because it's offered by Digital Ocean and I'm familiar with it and Mint on my home desktop because it's packaged with all my favourite non free software.
>>
I use on the daily basis Gentoo, Raspbian, OpenWrt, CyanogenMod.
>>
What I really like is the Canonical's initiative with snap. All distros unite under a same package format, but how can you trust Canonical?!
I mean they are based in UK and if the law
>>
>>56981341
>using a distro that is a fork of a fork of a fork of a fork
Its like thinking the buttbuddy of a fanboy of a fanboy of a fanboy of a garage band can play better music the a real rock star
>>
>>56982263
>You have to install wifi driver AFTER the installation
>Old packages
>inb4 older packages mean stability, not true check openSUSE's mentality on packages.
Debian was my first distro and never wnt to windows again cause have Debian in the university's labs and they're fucked up cause they admins are totally noobs so i guess it's a bit form bad starting point and mostly from bad user experience
>>
>>56982410
That's why I use unstable. I don't remember having to install wifi drivers on mine actually.
>>
>>56982410
Your wifi drivers are proprietary. You should use the non-free cd.

>>56982511
In your case the drivers on kernel are open.
>>
I have no favorite and that is a problem. After many years I'm trying debian testing right now and I ran through various issues, but it does work I guess. I have to look for better font rendering.
>>
>>56981341
Debian testing on workstation
CentOS/RHEL/OL on servers
>>
Linux mint is my favorite, but I'm using arch right now.
I think mint is the best windows alternative that can be used on a family/shared pc.
>>
>>56982855
Cinnamon or Mate for Mint?
>>
>>56981341
Arch. You can do pretty much anything and for people who don't know much about linux it's a good way to start.
>>
>>56982886
I prefer cinnamon.
If you want something light weight though, then mate is the better choice
>>
>>56982902
m8
>>
>>56981341
Favorite distro: slackware
What do I use it for?: everything.

>dep hell
I don't ever have that problem. I install all of the optional packages, install all of the software I'm going to use, and remove anything that isn't necessary for the software I use.

It's the most stable distro I've ever used, which is why I've been using it for 21 years exclusively.
>>
>>56982511
>>56982410
No objection on that but how are you going to attract users to Linux if you don't make it user friendly. All of us (30- ) statred knowing only Windows unless your fathers were Linux wizards. It is nearly impossible to have an easy transition to FOSS from Windows, iremember having tons of problems at first.
>>
Debian
I use it for all of my personal projects. Work still requires Windows for most things because my CIO came up as a non-technical business guy in the 90's and early 2000's, but I'm slowly easing them into the idea of Ubuntu for client projects that live outside of our firewall.
>>
>>56982899
>for people who don't know much about linux it's a good way to start
Sure, if they don't mind learning about everything before actually trying to sit down and use it.
>>
>>56983154
All you need is a place to try. If you don't own two pc the first time on a VM would be probably better. Drivers issues not present on virtualization can be easily solved while doing the real thing.
>>
>>56981946
>-learning curve. Normies tend to dislike learning about computers.
This doesn't change a thing. I have 20 year old friends who don't know how to install an OS or burn optical discs and much more. People would be just as competent on Linux as they are on Windows. Linux isn't more difficult to use and doesn't require any special knowledge or skills. You could argue that on rare occasions you'll need to use the terminal, but copying a few lines of text isn't difficult. It's on the same level of difficulty as downloading an installer and running it. The only "more difficult" thing is some distributions have text only and less automated installers, but there are plenty of alternatives.
>they just want games, social media and p0rn/series/movies.
You can get that on a lot of distributions. Anything debian or Ubuntu based will have the most gaming support, as for social media, browsing and media playing Linux is much faster/more responsive from my experience. So there's no real reason for people not to use Linux, other than them falling for the Microsoft propaganda.
>>
Linux is the cancer killing Unix.
>>
>>56981341
>Hard mode: "because I'm better than you" and "because I'm not a pleb" are not valid answers.

found the faggot from /v/
>>
LFS

Everything
>>
>>56981341
KDE Neon, daily tasks

>>56984688
Unix is killing itself
>>
>>56981946
You know, I don't quite get why people hope for widespread Linux use. It already does everything perfectly for power users, why compromise for other people? I'd rather have variety desu senpai
>>
>>56981341
>GNU/Linux Distrobution Timeline
You're missing alot
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
>>
I use Debian for everything. Started out with Slackware a long time ago, switched to Debian a few years ago for the convenience factor of a good package manager. Easily customizable from a bare-bones install, reliable, huge repo, good support. There's always a .deb for everything. Tastes great, less filling. Fewer obnoxious faggots than most other distros.
>>
>>56981341
1) Arch (Independent)
2) Scientific (recompiled Red Hat)
3) Fedora (Independent)
4) Ubuntu (Debian, Ubuntu)
>>
>>56982408
That's an entirely inaccurate analogy.
>>
I distrohopped for years. Started with Ubuntu, switched to Mint, tried Fedora, tried Debian, tried Arch and feel in love. Arch does everything i want it to do, and is really fucking fast. It just werks. I also use pfsense for my router, and dd-wrt for the wireless access point.
>>
File: 0.png (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
22KB, 400x300px
My choice is Parabola GNU/Linux and it's primary use is developing software (based on Arch).
>>
>>56981655
This. Creates unneeded confusion
>>
>>56981341
Arch
>What do you use it for?
Everything

Hard mode: "because I'm better than you" and "because I'm not a pleb" are not valid answers.
my first distro was mandriva, and then i tried ubuntu for the first time in 2008, and switching various distro, til 2010 for my best ubuntu experience with 10.04. then it keeps crashing. switched to arch, not as stable as current release, then devs make a fuss about systemd migration, at 2012 or 2013 got new laptop and install a fresh arch with systemd. been switching OS a lot for my laptop, either it's windows, debian and arch, but my main machine always arch til now.
my reasons of choosing arch over others are simple: AUR and fast package installation. tried gentoo for fun in my laptop, but eventually return to arch. compiling makes my laptop too hot.
>>
>>56982555
>Your wifi drivers are proprietary. You should use the non-free cd.

Yup, here it is for anyone that doesn't know: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
File: hitler.jpg (41KB, 496x529px) Image search: [Google]
hitler.jpg
41KB, 496x529px
>>56981341
I use Debian. It's simple and just werks. It's also super powerful. Other than The buntus, LFS, and maybe DSL it's really the only non-meme distro that isn't constantly broken.
>>
>>56981341
Stallman's faggotry knows no bounds.
For a useful chart, just delete GNU/Linux and all timeline segments starting in 1991.
>>
>>56985749
No.
>>
>>56981655
Nice authoritarian mindset. To do that you would have to exercise force over others.

>Brands are the cancer killing consumer products. If there was only one beer, say Coors Lite, I wouldn't have to decide which one I wanted to drink.
>>
>not using Slackware for everything
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.