[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 30

File: 1475644945731.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475644945731.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
Previously on: >>56948876

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>
How do I install chromium dev channel on mint? I added a ppa but I can't see the package in the installer.
>>
Noobuntu is so bloated
>>
Well there goes my linux run. One hour and a half looking at how I install chromium dev channel.

You want to know why it will NEVER be the year of linux ? Because on windows you fucking download it, click on it and it fucking works.

Into the fucking garbage this piece of shit goes.
>>
How's devuan? Every time I try setting up a virtual, it freaks out and takes 9 years, haven't had the patience to vm and don't have the space to dual boot atm
>>
Does systemd-boot have a 32bit version that can load a 64bit kernel? I have an asus x205ta I'm trying to install arch on and would prefer to avoid grub if possible.
>>
>>56963224

You are soooo incompetent. Normal people are able to run:

>package_manager_command install chromium
>>
>>56963263
I managed to install it. It took me 1h and a half. This is my first experience of linux. Experimentation is over, I just don't have time for this shit.
>>
Why is linux so laggy anyway? Windows have shimmering and you can feel GPU clock change when browsing the web. For example, you read something and your GPU goes in idle clock, then you scroll and for half a second it lags, it's the time it takes to switch to 2D or 3D clocks.
I thought linux was faster than windows. I really disappointed, you people sold it like the end of all OS and it's just amateur garbage.
>>
>>56963286
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>56963332
I will. Like I never enjoyed it before. It will be a 15 years jump in the future.
>>
First,i don't know shit about linux but i need a distro that comes with Plasma without all the bloat.I just want a web browser,a terminal and a package manager for learning purposes.

Possibly to be less than 5gb total.

Kubuntu maybe?

When i get my Raspberry Pi for a media center,then imma install raspbian on it and maybe Plasma or Unity,with Kodi.
>>
>>56963372
What about building LFS? Or debian.
>>
>>56963358
Can't tell if trolling

Either way, the reason you "don't have time for this" isn't due to the fact that it's hard, you just are unfamiliar with it and know very little. I'm not trying to put you down, but if you value convenience over freedom, that sounds like a terrible existence.

Most people here have figured out how to make their setup just werk, you could too anon....just learn some shit
>>
>>56963395
>Can't tell if trolling
Is this a joke? Not only linux isn't faster than windows like you all pretend, but it's also very inconvenient to use. So yeah, there is this great community support telling me I'm retarded for not magically know how to use it.
There is a reason linux has 1% marketshare, and it's not because windows come preinstalled on most computers. If it was better, people would just use it because you know, it's better.
>>
How come I get this:

jason$ lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D'
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

but Glxgears gives me this

jason$ glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>>
>>56963386

Why do you bother with such answers? Do you just like to say anything and feel "smart" while doing it? He's obviously a beginner and then you tell him something not beginner friendly (installing LFS). Not only that, but the LFS recommendation is totally unwarranted.

>>56963372

Every major distribution has KDE Plasma in their repository. Every major distribution's installer image is less than 5GB. Every distribution can come with no "bloat".
Unless you specify relevant criteria, the answer is: any major distribution.
>>
>>56963565
Thanks, guess i'll try Kubuntu and remove the shit i don't like.
>>
>>56963565
Just answering his question. No need to be all angry. It's not my fault if he can't build LFS.
>>
>>56963559
And the NVidia drivers are installed.
>>
>>56963619
post your Xorg.0.log
>>
Should I install nvidia drivers or keep nouveau? What's the best?
>>
>>56963639
https://paste.scratchbook.ch/view/82d525af
>>
So, I decided not to give up on linux and now I'm trying to update nvidia drivers with latest on nvidia website.

Wish me good luck, and see you tomorrow.
>>
>>56963676
some internet searches suggest that this might be a problem with nvidia optimus. Does your system use optimus? if so install bumblebee
>>
>>56963676
More: https://paste.scratchbook.ch/view/raw/87ceb906
>>
>>56963660
Get Intel HD Graphics.

That's no joke by the way, support for it is great on Linux.
>>
>>56963719
Graphics worked fine until after a reboot. I was playing Arma 3 natively on LInux from Steam, now I get this.
>>
>>56963730
Ok, I'll try to find documentation about how to solder an intel GPU on my motherboard.
>>
>>56963730
That is why everyone uses Windows 7/10
>>
>>56963729
[ 43.246] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[ 43.246] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[ 45.969] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Dispatch)
[ 45.969] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
[ 45.969] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0
that looks like it may be related to your prob
>>
File: 1467498281440.gif (3MB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
1467498281440.gif
3MB, 300x208px
hey /g/, I want to give Linux a try, but after checking the web I realized that there are many different Linuxes, so which one should I choose? Which one is the BEST?
>>
>>56963778
Linux Lite
>>
>>56963778
>I want to give Linux a try
You don't just give linux a try, it's linux trying you.
>>
>>56963743
[ 38.556] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
[ 38.556] (EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
[ 38.556] (EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
[ 38.556] (EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
[ 38.556] (EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

did you try reinstalling your driver?
>>
>>56963778
The best: Debian.
Best for learning: Ubuntu.
Stay away from: Mint, Arch
>>
>>56963831
Why?
>>
>>56963778
Install gentoo
>>
>>56963791
>>56963831
>replying to "which is the BEST linux" posts
>>
How do I install google API keys? I'm looking at some website but it says to enter things as variable with some api key and a secret user. What the fuck.
Is there anything simple to do on linux?
>>
>>56963831
What makes you pick Ubuntu at the exclusion of Mint?
>>
>>56963778
Ubuntu and KDE Neon, find which one you like and expand from there.
>>
>>56963845
The difference between Ubuntu and Mint is that Ubuntu has at least basic security and isn't completly broken. https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>56963778
4.7 and linux-libre are dope
>>
>>56963837
that posters personal opinion.
Try a bunch see what tickles your fancy
>>
>>56963729
OK i am 99% sure i found your problem

this is in your logs

[ 36.379] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 36.592] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 37.465] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

but according to this website
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Grafikkarten/Nvidia/nvidia/
(note: website is in german problem description and solution can be found in the section "Falsche libglx.so geladen")
nvidias libglx is located at /usr/lib/nvidia-VERSION/xorg/libglx.so
where VERSION is your driver version.
one way to solve this problem is to modify xorg.conf and add:

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia-VERSION/xorg"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

again VERSION is your driver version
>>
>>56963862
>linux-libre
Tried it, but sadly my wifi needs a botnet module. ;_;

>tfw too poor to be free
>>
>>56963713

>installing software, especially drivers, from outside of your distribution's repository

That's a retarded thing to do and the so called "Windows mentality". Using a GNULinux distribution like that will only give you pain.
>>
>>56963907
I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os
>>
File: 1417687608474.jpg (275KB, 810x1410px) Image search: [Google]
1417687608474.jpg
275KB, 810x1410px
When a program crash, you can see what caused it if it was run from terminal.
What if it wasn't ?
How to see the error log then?
>>
>>56963907
So how do I use up to date drivers? I don't?
>>
>>56963895
You could still use only that module and leave everything else free. Or you get a cheap wifi dongle for when you do not have ethernet.
>>
>>56963895
>not writing a free compatible firmware
>>
So I was trying out KDE neon and installed Chromium browser.

The browser uses the gtk file picker for some weird reason. Any idea how to make it use the KDE file picker?
>>
>>56963914
depends on your distribution
>>
>>56963938
I use linux mint.
>>
>>56963950
http://www.noobslab.com/2016/06/keep-your-nvidia-drivers-up-to-date-in.html

read that.

if you still have questions after reading that feel free to ask
>>
>>56963969
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>56963969
Well, this PPA doesn't support xenial. It's written just on top of it that it does. I'll try the other stuffs.
>>
>>56963969
Nope, to try the other stuffs it requires to add the ppa which doesn't support xenial for a reason. Well, that's a letdown.
>>
Should I use intel microcode driver?
>>
>>56964061
Well, the code is already blobbed, so the only difference is:
- if you use the driver, the microcode gets updates
- if you don't use it, the microcode doesn't get updates
but in both solutions the microcode is proprietary

your choice
>>
>>56964077
My CPU is a q6600, so I guess microcode updates were stopped years ago.
>>
>>56964020
according to the ubuntu wiki that ppa should work for xenial

i am starting to understand why everyon ehates on mint
>>
What's the best video player for watching my chinese cartoons? I'm running kubuntu on my laptop atm. Is there a way to play mkv files with Dragon or should I just use VLC?
>>
>>56964104
mpv
>>
>>56963910
How much of that do you actually believe?
>>
>>56964104
use mpv and maybe a frontend if you need that
>>
What the fuck is this mess? Which one is supposed to be the latest? Holy shit, it's like they're trying to make it as complicated as they can.
>>
File: download.png (8KB, 645x609px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
8KB, 645x609px
>>56964162
Shit, I forgot my pic.
>>
>>56964162
the one i am using is the latest
>>
>>56964168
This can't be real. Even a screencaping doesn't work.
>>
>>56964114
>>56964121
Is it worth building from source or should I just grab one of the old packages?
>>
>>56964162
>>56964168
>>56964169
>>56964180
You're a little odd.
>>
What's the difference between short lived drivers and long lived drivers?
>>
>>56964102
It worked using software center of mint and adding the ppa in sources. Thanks for your help, that's appreciated.
>>
File: TheFreedomDance.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
TheFreedomDance.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>56963286
>It doesn't function exactly like Windows!
>Slight adversity!
>I give up.

>>56963515
>linux isn't faster than windows like you all pretend
I use GNU/Linux because it's free/open source whereas Windows is proprietary. I don't use it because it's magically faster in some nebulous way.

If you wanna learn more about why proprietary software is bad, then look here:
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary.en.html

>there is this great community support telling me I'm retarded for not magically know how to use it.
You can't blame the community for your own incompetence. Also be aware of the website you're on (lurk more, get a thicker skin, etc). Learning anything takes time and effort.

>There is a reason linux has 1% marketshare, and it's not because windows come preinstalled on most computers. If it was better, people would just use it because you know, it's better.
Fallacy: argument from popularity. Windows isn't better because more people use it. That just makes it more familiar.

If you don't mind being controlled, lied to, and spied on, then by all means use Windows. It really is a case of freedom vs convenience. GNU/Linux isn't necessarily inconvenient, it's just far less ingrained into society than Windows.
>>
File: 2016-10-07-145900_164x60_scrot.png (734B, 164x60px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-07-145900_164x60_scrot.png
734B, 164x60px
I reinstalled arch on my desktop
Installed urxvt
my rxvt-unicode don't show japanese, polish or german characters. On laptop Its working, loadkeys, setxkbmap, /etc/vconsole.conf tested and still don't work. Any ideas?
>>
I want to get self taught about Linux.
Even though I am shit at troubleshooting (due to a lack of "serious" background as I didn't major in CS) I think I am about "lower intermediate".

I can install arch pretty smoothly but I am just following the wiki. After the install is done, I feel lost in the systemd clusterfuck.

I thought about installing gentoo but I don't have enough knowledge to understand everything said on the "kernel configuration" step.
Should I :
(1) proceed to install it and deal with what I don't get later, risking to leave severe knowledge gaps
(2) beef up my theoretical background before proceeding. If so, where to get material addressed to beginner?

Is there such thing as online classes / MOOC about Linux?
>>
>>56964445
Just use genkernel all to compile your kernel until you have ~10-15 hours of freetime to get into configuring your own kernel
>>
>>56964445
Start with funtoo, it gives you a binary kernel so you can get the system up and running and then take your time making a kernel that works. Or you can just recompile the one that comes with it but it's a beast and takes a while.
>>
>>56964382
echo $LANG
>>
>>56964468
I want to do it for educational purpose. I think it's better to understand every steps or at least don't feel lost behind the guide.

>>56964475
How often people reconfigure their kernel before finding the one they'll keep using?
>>
File: out_vp8.webm (429KB, 1440x705px) Image search: [Google]
out_vp8.webm
429KB, 1440x705px
So I can't watch any HTML5 videos, the video just keeps looping the last couple frames, the audio is still working fine though, what gives?
>>
>>56964588
what does https://www.youtube.com/html5 show
>>
>>56964588
try disabling hardware acceleration.
>>
File: html5.png (72KB, 1148x762px) Image search: [Google]
html5.png
72KB, 1148x762px
>>56964591
Pic related, also for the record I'm using Firefox Nightly 52.0a1 (2016-10-04) (64-bit), at first I thought it was some sort of an issue with FF but it's been like that for a while now.
>>
>>56964539
"$ echo $LANG
C"
in locale.gen setted en_US-utf8 and setted by #locale-gen
>>
>>56964588
kek, git good.
>>
>>56964606
Just tried it - same result.
>>
is installing gentoo on metal much harder than installing it on a vm
cuz im about to do it
>>
File: 1456654919352.jpg (102KB, 680x966px) Image search: [Google]
1456654919352.jpg
102KB, 680x966px
>>56963179
So what version of KDE is debian sid shipping?
>>
>>56964694
https://packages.debian.org/sid/kde/
>>
>>56964713
I don't see the version number specified
>>
>>56964588
Reset anything related to media in about:config
purge flash if you have that.
>>
>>56963179
I done it! I have finally done it! *<:^)

I got the all of my WiFi dongles to work on my MacBook Pro (7.1) with Debian 8.6. (yes, I got three different types trying to get it running, all with Tux logos on the box, very frustrating (still didn't get the internal PCI one working but whatever))

First it was they are part of the kernel and just work, (nope)
then it was just download the drivers
then it was add the non-free drivers to source list, then download drivers
then it was edit kernel with third party driver fixes, but first I need to add the proper kernel editor library to source list then download it so I can then download and install the new third party driver fixes (at this point the "it just works" claim I get as advice is now comical)
then it was all of that and changing a few config files as power manager keeps shutting off the power feed to the WiFi, (still not working)
then it was do all of that but replace LXDE's Wicd with GNOME's Network Manager and grant it addition permissions, then reinstall the drivers again to fix linking issues with the manager change

Boom, I now got 2 Mbps WiFi working (they are cheap dongles a room over, the bigger one gives 8 Mbps at same range)

I would thank /g/ for your help, but honestly you guys just kept telling me I was doing it wrong.
Still I hope this helps anyone with similar issues as it took me a lot of work to figure this out.
>>
>>56964555
>How often people reconfigure their kernel before finding the one they'll keep using?
As often as necessary. There are a few different approaches, you can build up from nothing or you can build down from a full config. The latter can be easier but takes longer to get a very minimal one. When you go through the config there is a lot you can take out straight away because you know you don't have that hardware (intel or amd etc). It's really up to you though how many times you recompile it, depends how minimal you want it to be. More important would be to set up schedulers and architecture optimizations for your hardware.
>>
>>56964743
Everything says 5.7.4.
>>
>>56964382
maybe you need to install foregin font package?
>>
>>56964800
>5.7.4
Pretty old
>>
>>56964748
I don't have Flash installed but I just created a new profile and it's working fine so I guess it's either some config variable (as you suggested), or some extension that does this. I'll keep digging.
>>
>>56964813
Yeap.
>>
>>56964813
So what does Arch ship with
>>
>>56964824
5.8 probably it came out a few days ago
>>
>>56964824
The latest and the greatest, of course.
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/plasma-desktop/
>>
>>56964824
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arch+plasma+kde
>>
Is there a way to remove these ugly top bars in cinnamon?
>>
>>56964837
>>56964848
>>56964854
Debian always shipped with older packages, what's so new?
>>
>>56964894
Nothing? I use Debian.
>>
>>56964854
>google
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>56964894
>Debian always shipped with older packages
how new are you?
>>
>>56964956
>implying you're not using the botnet to shitpost
>>
>>56964970
Do you want to refute?
>>
This thread is basically satire, right?
>>
>>56964993
ur mum is satire
>>
>>56964999
REKT
>>
>>56964993
it's pretty good when arch kids aren't around
>>
>>56965016
lmao why are you so butthurt though
>>
>>56964993
I just want to remove these ugly windows "decorations" (decorations are supposed to make things pretty by the way).
>>
File: LM0TMxl.png (246KB, 1136x717px) Image search: [Google]
LM0TMxl.png
246KB, 1136x717px
>Feel free to bring your own laptop. In fact, you may find it more useful to use your own laptop as I imagine you'll be using it for completing the coursework exercises.

Quick, I need a good distro to dual-boot for my PC lab seminars. Currently using W8.1 and Ubuntu-MATE, but I want to show off as an edgy kid. What do I switch to?
>>
>>56964856
I don't see any screenshot you know
>>
File: ambiance-aqua-awf-gtk3.png (273KB, 907x697px) Image search: [Google]
ambiance-aqua-awf-gtk3.png
273KB, 907x697px
>>56965059
Yeah, because I'm sure you need one to figure what I'm talking about.

See that bar on top with GTK3 written? I want to get rid of it because it takes place for nothing.
>>
You sure don't want to use linux if you don't want to die young of stress related disease. I popped a vein in my eyes just trying to figure how you install nvidia drivers.
>>
>>56965082
Don't use muffin on that case, how can some one be this much retarded?
>>
>>56965110
What the fuck is muffin?
>>
>>56965131
Jesus
>>
>>56965134
What the fuck, am I going to have to install the whole fucking breakfast or something?
>>
>>56965131
Cinnamon's window manager.

Replace it with i3 or something
>>
>>56965082
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html

Probably can hide it with a global style.
>>
>>56965147
Can you have cinnamon as the DE and i3 as the WM?
>>
>>56965362
Yes. So you add a startup command like this
i3 --replace
>>
>>56965378
That's cool. I'm trying now. Just getting through the systemd startup jobs.
>>
>>56965378
>>56965395
Tried doing it on the Sid play VM, and "i3 --replace" didn't work; it didn't recognize. "openbox --replace" was basically exactly like openbox. What's then left of GNOME?
>>
>>56965518
hmm, I know KWin has this option of removing the title bar completely.

Check other window managers like pekwm/ratpoison/fvwm or dwm etc
>>
>>56965050
>I want to show off as an edgy kid.
arch dumbass
>>
>>56965738
Thanks friend
>>
>>56963224
>>56963286
>>56963358
>>56963515
If you're too incompetent or impatient for linux, why do you have to come and pollute our general? Go whine to your buddies that love windows.
>>
>>56963778
There isn't a "BEST" linux distro. It all depends on your usecase, like a vehicle.

If you are just starting out, I would suggest Ubuntu or Mint. They are both similar enough to windows that they should be easy to use out of the box, and then you can dig deeper into using the terminal and package manager.
>>
>>56966085
>If you're too incompetent or impatient for linux, why do you have to come and pollute our general?
>Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.
My experience was shit, and I just tried to get help. This is why I come "pollute" "your" thread.
>>
>>56963515
lol, if you actually knew the operating functions of Windows and Linux under the hood, you'd understand that Linux is vastly superior to Windows which, btw, is a tremendous clusterfuck of nonsense that seems to just barely work.

There's a reason why Linux holds a fuckton of server market share.

>inb4 Windows server
Literally the only reason why Windows server has a large share of the server market as well is because Microsoft is applying their same scumbag tactics of forcing themselves into the market to overtake it by creating a dependency on their technology. AD is pretty much a requirement now for just about every business and organization. But just because it's required, does not make it good.

Just because Windows looks better and seemingly works better on the surface level for users, does not make it a good OS.

Honestly man, I think you just got stuck with a shitty distro and applying your experience with that to extend to all Linux distros.
>>
>>56966412
>Just because Windows looks better and seemingly works better on the surface level for users, does not make it a good OS.
It's exactly what makes it a good OS.
>>
>>56966458
For users.

I should have clarified. When I said "users" i mean basic bitch users who would barely know their left from their right, not power users and administrators. For those people Windows is atrocious but necessary.
>>
>>56966458
It doesn't though.
>>
>>56966550
>click install
>it works
It does.
>>
I'm in the market for new computer and I'll make a switch to mint (primary) and win7 dual boot (gaming) so got to ask if amd cards (drivers) finally working properly in linux? I'm considerimg rx480.
Thanks!
>>
>>56966760
Last time i installed windows i had to install ethernet drivers (!) from a cd and wait for over an hour during installation and another hour after installation for updates. Install+post install took me two and a half hours while on debian sid it took me roughly half an hour.
>>
>>56963224
>One hour and a half looking at how I install chromium dev channel.
Holy fucking shit retard
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:saiarcot895/chromium-dev
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
>>
>>56966832
Intel>Nvidia proprietary>amd free~amd proprietary>>>>>>>>nvidia proprietary
It's pretty nice having free drivers on a rolling release.
It's your choice.
>>
What file manager do you guys use?
Thunar is acting weird for me.
>>
File: Spectacle.u22563.png (60KB, 918x658px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.u22563.png
60KB, 918x658px
>>56966865
>>
>>56966834
Last time I installed windows, it took 20 minutes and everything worked. It even downloaded the missing drivers. Maybe you shouldn't try to install it on a CPC.
>>
>>56966969
Last time I installed Linux, it took 10 minutes and everything worked.
>>
>>56966995
>and everything worked.
Now that's just a lie.
>>
>>56967015
No.
>>
>>56967015
Just because you are too dumb to install a fucking browser it doesn't mean others can use Linux
>>
>>56967030
Nice slip of the tong.
>>
i installed debian and configured it but i dont like it :( i want windows back everything seems cluncky
>>
>>56967070
Install Windows then?
>>
>>56967093
i hate windows too
>>
>>56967111
Make your own OS.
>>
>>56966865
Spacefm
>>56966969
i don't believe that you installed all of your programs in that time without a decent package manager.
I installed it on a fairly recent and okayish laptop and on a computer that was more than capable of that (the cpu is an fx 8350).
anyway, it shows that windows, just like any other OS not literally sold on the hardware you buy did not "just werk", i had to install a fucking ethernet driver, this never happened to me on any of my or my friends gnu/linux computers, sometimes there were issues with wifi on free as in freedom installers but never with something actually important.
>>
>>56966893
I really don't want the Qt bloat, so dolphin isn't an option.
What do you think about SpaceFM? Just installed it, looks decent so far.
>>
>>56967070
What is your exact problem? Dislike the desktop environment? change it or install another one.
>>
>>56967136
>>56967144
Shit f/am
Looks like spacefm it is.
>>
I defenestrated my PC today
Feels great, but how do I handle all this freedom?
>>
>>56967070
Then you should try Linux Mint with Cinnamon.
>>
File: gnu.png (285KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gnu.png
285KB, 1200x1200px
What's the best of the FSF-approved distros in your opinion(s), /fglt/?

I want to mess around with Emacs a little more, building myself a 100% Stallman-approved setup around it sounds like it would add a little more fun and novelty to it, plus all of my current *nix daily drivers run Slowlaris or other SysVs, I'd like to break up the monotony a little and gain some more familiarity with a GNU environment.

On a semi-related note, are there any political drama-free Libreboot alternatives? I'd rather not support that if I don't have to, but I guess in the end I don't really give a shit either way.
>>
>>56967262
I did the same, though all I got is a bad taste in my mouth. After 9 or so hours looking for what I wanted, it's finally set up. It's ok, I guess, I just don't like the flickering on the screen like it's 50hz or something, I still have those ugly bars on top of the programs (why would they even put those in the first place).
Still, It was way too much time spent for the result. At least I learned a few thing, like I will never install linux for people in my family like I planned to.
>>
>>56967144

>qt bloat

Just another idiot who thinks that Qt = KDE software.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>56967381
Debian is not approved but gud, gnewsense, trisquel and parabola are what is usually used, if you want something very GNU maybe check out guixSD (still very alpha i think).
i think the libreboot drama will die down but there is also coreboot.
>>
>>56967381
Trisquel is Stallman's distro of choice
>>
>installing arch for the first time
>everything goes fine
>boot to debian so i can add arch to grub
>read-only filesystem
>run fsck
>it deletes the arch partition and i lose the install
fug
>>
>>56967383
Post xrandr output and your DE/WM, you can change all of these things easily.
I made good experiences with installing debian stable with gnome and xfce for my parents. You just need to preconfigure and explain some things obviously.
>>
>>56967496
that's what you get for installing arch. :^)
>>
>>56967446
Debian's my usual go-to, GuixSD looked neat but the alpha-ness did kind of throw me off of it.

gNewSense sounds like a good idea though.

>>56967487
That too, damn. Maybe I'll demo them both in a VM and see which one I'll stick on the X60 I've set aside for it.
>>
What distro is backdoor free? Or are all backdoors hardware based?
>>
>>56967548
You're probably looking for one of these

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
>>
>>56967548
if you believe in that kind of stuff then you're pretty much fucked in hardware unless you're running something pre-2006 or non-x86/ARM

alphabet agencies can just pop you with stashed 0days anyway if they really want to get in
>>
>>56967496

You will stop experiencing retarded problems once you stop doing retarded things like having multiple distributions installed.
>>
>>56967687
That's not retarded. It's actually pretty fun from a learning perspective. I one time decided to put like 6 different distros on one hard drive to see how it would work.

Had some pretty good lulz.
>>
>>56967749

>clicking up, down and enter on a bootloader screen is "lulz"

You are an actual retard.
>>
yo /fglt/, how can use use the find command with a variable?

find somedir/ anotherdir -type f
works, but
dirs="somedir/ anotherdir/"
find $dirs -type f
doesn't work

where am I being retarded?
>>
>>56967776
I'm a retard because I had the curiosity to find out how something works?

Wow, must say a lot about your character.
>>
>>56967788
>where am I being retarded?
dirs is a variable, not a function.

I might be wrong though, I don't do any programming
>>
I've installed Gentoo, but I have no idea what DE/WM to get, and I still don't know what I should name the system. Any recommendations?
>>
>>56966241
You have not asked for help once in this thread you faggot.
>>
So my arch boot times are crap - even though I have an nvme ssd.

When it boots, it hangs for a while, then gives me
>ata6: COMRESET failed

How do I find out which device is at ata6?
I wanted to try fsck on it
>>
>>56967788
works on my machine
>>
>>56967788

Works on my machine, which means you did something wrong and no one can tell you what until you post the exact things you've written.
>>
>>56963912
look in /var/log/ or systemd journal if it was a systemd process
>>
>>56967806

One of those is a sign that you don't really need that operating system. Hint: it's not the hostname issue.
>>
>>56967877
>>56963912

And .xsession-errors for some X programs.
>>
>>56967866
>>56967858
I want to search through everything in my PATH, I'm trying this:

find "${PATH//:/ }" -type f
but it doesn't work
>>
>>56967920
>find "${PATH//:/ }" -type f
find ${PATH//:/ } -type f
>>
>>56967502
I went to nvidia x server settings and selected 60hz and it worked, I have no more flickering.
Thanks for your help though.

>>56967841
I did, I'm
>>56963201
>>56963660
>>56963713
>>56963842
>>56963914
>>56963994
>>56964061
>>56964162
>>56964168
>>56964180
>>56964221
>>56964856
>>56965131
>>56967383
>>
>>56967943
Still gives me: No such file or directory ;_;
tried it with echo, paths are printed like they should..
>>
>>56967960
again, works on my machine.
>>
>>56967945
A tip for next time: please do not install mint
it is one of the only distros where the hate is actually warranted.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-07_22-12-15.png (160KB, 771x418px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-07_22-12-15.png
160KB, 771x418px
>>56967419
(You)'re the retard here.
How's this not bloat, you fucking cunt.
>>
>>56967960
Try this:
string="I'm a faggot"
echo $string
>>
>>56968021
I asked a couple of days ago and that's what I was told mint is great.
>>
What makes mint good? I'm trying out it, but not seeing anything I like so far. Cinnamon is a pet boring de.
>>
>>56967960
Update:

This works:
IFS=:; for i in $PATH; do find $i -type f; done

Why the hell doesn't:
find ${PATH//:/ } -type f

work?
>>
>>56968038

>needs software and its features
>still calls it bloat

You don't know what bloat means.
Compare Qt5 to GTK3 and you'll get the same numbers. Qt5 is not more "bloated" than GTK3.
>>
>>56968089
Okay, I got it. I did the IFS before, so find tried to delimit with : instead of " ", well.
[solved]
>>
>>56968060
i either didn't see that or i disagreed. i have this thread open on my phone at all times when i have nothing to do at work. thing is, mint is the worst mainstream distro by a lot. it looks like it holds your hand but it actually makes things harder for newcomers to learn.
the best step to make gnu/linux to be comfortable for you is to start having fun with the command line. the first thing to learn being interacting with your package manager.
>>
File: DebianOld.png (18KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
DebianOld.png
18KB, 500x614px
>>56963179
...Did anyone else know about Debian's old semi-official logo?
>>
>>56968135
I tried to install chromium dev with command line (as an anon gave me a link that explains how to), but it didn't work, it said it isn't compatible with xenial when it was clearly written just over the command line that it workds for xenial, mint 18 and such.
What the fuck am I supposed to do when even the troubleshooting guides are wrong?
>>
I can't seem to locate the executable for spacefm so I can set it as my default file manager.

I've looked in

/usr/bin/
/usr/sbin/
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin
/bin
/sbin

and I get nothing. I even ran locate on it and all it gave back was the .desktop and .png files.

Help?
>>
>>56968190
You are supposed to not use distros based on others and to avoid additional unofficial repos. to compile stuff from source on dpkg/debian based systems you can even use a nifty tool called checkinstall so you can avoid PPAs.
>>
>>56968299
>to avoid additional unofficial repos
Why? I don't think nvidia or google will hack me.
>>
>>56968320
The problem is not just the security risk, it is also that you can hit incompatibilities and errors nobody else has. ppa maintainers are usually.more sloppy than repo maintainers.
If they actually.knew what they are doing they would just get it added to the repo.
>>
>>56968190
If you're using Ubuntu, shouldn't you just be able to use apt to search for and install it, or even the "Ubuntu Software center" (the graphical interface for installing packages)?

Also, people don't recommend Mint because it's downstream from Ubuntu which is mostly downstream from Debian Unstable. And they have a history of compromising security in favor of what they think is convenient.

Example: They named their display manager "mdm" despite a package with that name already existing. So on Mint, I guess you just can't use the mdm for parallel shell scripting without a weird workaround.

Mint is recommended because it uses Cinnamon, which is pretty similar to Windows, and happens to be highly ranked on distrowatch. Little do most people know, Cinnamon is available on other distros and popularity doesn't make something necessarily good.
>>
>>56968295
whereis spacefm
>>
What exactly is the use case for chroot?
The man page just says that I can run commands with a special root directory but what exactly does this mean?
>>
>>56963179
tfw girls don't do linux...
>>
>>56968087
Nothing. Mint is what tech illiterate retards recommend on their shitty blogs. Mint is like OS X: Looks nice for normies eyes but under the surface is fail and poo. The use the same program names of already programs in use, which makes Mint basically broken out of the box and if this isn't already enough, they actually blacklist packages so the whole thing doesn't fall apart on update. One of these packages is the fucking kernel itself.

Don't get Mint. Worst distro around.
>>
>>56968429
Ah, right. I forgot about the whereis command.

Ok, I found it. Apparently it wasn't a shell exec, python, perl or other executable so it wasn't it wasn't listing at first.

Thanks.
>>
>>56968388
Why isn't chromium dev available on mint or ubuntu repos ? Or all "whql" nvidia drivers ?

>>56968416
>compromising security
Isn't it a bit paranoid? I don't think anybody would bother doing malware for an OS with 1% marketshare?

Still, I start liking linux mint, it's not so different from windows in use as you say, just the set up is more complicated. I don't have much needs anyway, it's an older computer for surfing the web and watching movies. I like that it updates your programs automatically, that's actually very convenient.
>>
>>56963179
been trying to install windows 7
>windows : every issue under the sun
>lubuntu : installs in like 10 minutes
wtf i love linux now
>>
>>56968495
There is no canary for linux either.
>>
>>56968514
There is a chromium dev or beta for linux, you just have to install it from a ppa. The version in mint/ubuntu repos is 6 months old, they could at least put other channels on their repos. I'm not a "bleeding edge" aficionados, but shit 6 months is way too old for a browser, even on an OS nobody cares enough to write malware for.
>>
>>56968449
Don't think of root in terms of the root account, think in terms of the "root of the file system."

Say you mess with your partitions and forget to update grub, leading to a system that won't boot up properly, even under recovery mode (because it can't find the partitions it needs).

You can boot into a live CD and use chroot to run commands "from the perspective of your original OS" so to speak, allowing you to update-grub and reboot without any loss of data or affecting the live CD.

So the use-case is mostly system repair in my experience, but I'm sure people find other creative uses for it.
>>
WHERES MY FUCKING NON BETA _BUNTU 16.10??!?! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Oh by the way, isn't ubuntu an amazon botnet or is it old story?
>>
>>56968602
It's still installed, but now you need to turn it on manually.
>>
>>56968625
>canonical just wanted to make some money.
>called botnet
>>
>>56968657
It's more about data leaks and spying, not really a botnet, but a security hole and spyware.

>Unless you have opted out, we will also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.

More here (when it was introduced):
https://www.eff.org/de/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
>>
>>56968567
Ah, that actually makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
I haven't actually run into this sort of problem so I didn't know. But I guess, now I will at least have a lead on how to solve a boot problem.
>>
>>56968625
So I'm the guy who installed mint since this morning and got told it's shit in the end of the day. My computer is old and it would be just for browsing, movies/music and maybe some light gaming.

Is lubuntu a good alternative for mint? Is it lighter than cinnamon? I guess the best choice is an ubuntu flavor.

What would you advise me? My computer has a q6600 at 3.2GHz, 8GB and a 460GTX (hdd is a regular 7200rpm hard drive).
>>
>>56968657
>microsoft partners
>porting ubuntu to windows 10
>/g/ filled with "now that linux is on windows 10, why should I even install linux now?" threads
Canonical is evil.
>>
>>56968746
>porting ubuntu to windows 10
What does that mean? How do you port an os to another one?
>>
>>56968718
> grep -R doesn't automatically search amazon
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/command-not-found/+bug/1055766
> Won't Fix
;_;
>>
File: marketshare.png (111KB, 1699x456px) Image search: [Google]
marketshare.png
111KB, 1699x456px
>>56963515
>linux has 1% marketshare
lol
>>
>>56968776
Layers. You can run Ubuntu incl shell any other elf programs on Windows 10.
>>
>>56968833
Is it like a VM or something?
>>
>>56968495
>I don't think anybody would bother doing malware for an OS with 1% marketshare?
yeah because hackers aren't interested in penetrating 36% of the world's servers and 100% of the world's supercomputers
>>
>>56968495
>Why isn't chromium dev available on mint or ubuntu repos ? Or all "whql" nvidia drivers ?
Because nobody bothered enough to add it and users just used the PPA instead of adding it to the main repo (which is another reason why PPAs are shit).
And because most people on gnu/linux use FF instead.
Not sure about your nvidia problem, i only use free drivers.
>>
So what distro actually has unique, useful features that aren't find in other distros? I'm looking, but so far most distros people spam here seem to just be different collections of default programs and a different method if package management.
>>
>>56968843
http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-not-linux-on-windows-how-it-works/
>>
>>56968819
>41,1% Other
What could they mean by that?
>>
File: 1457761285281.gif (1MB, 500x221px) Image search: [Google]
1457761285281.gif
1MB, 500x221px
>>56968905
kali
>>
>>56968905
>most distros people spam here seem to just be different collections of default programs and a different method if package management.

Because that's exactly what makes a distro in the first place genius
>>
>>56968905
gentoo
>>
File: 1447714071662.png (21KB, 420x375px) Image search: [Google]
1447714071662.png
21KB, 420x375px
>>56968905
The future is here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
>>
>>56968732
So I decided to take a ubuntu flavor.

Which one of the flavor would be a good for my specs (Q6600, 460GTX, 8GB). I guess I should go either lubuntu, xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE? Not that I'm freshly arrived from windows and I'd like it to look like windows for the moment.
>>
>>56968949
Well then why do people pimp distros, if they're all basically the same thing?

Like with mint. It's shilled hard, but what does it do that can't be done by installing cinnamon or mate it whatever on Gentoo?
>>
File: skeletel.jpg (144KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
skeletel.jpg
144KB, 640x960px
>>56968984
Any really. I prefer X but just click around on some live version to see which you prefer. You can always change your window manager later on.
>>
>>56968843
It translates syscalls i think.
>>56968732
Lubuntu (lxde on buntu) and xubuntu (xfce on buntu) are okay for beginners, though your machine would probably handle gnome and kde as well with disabled animations, it is generally a good idea to check out a few DEs before settling on one, and once you know exactly which programs you like for which task and enjoy tinkering you can get started with standalone WMs if you want.
buntu is okay, but canonical still often manages to fuck things up. (Shouldn't happen to you probably)
>>
>>56969016
Fanboys
>>
>>56968965
Nice haha
>>
>>56968905
Portage is the only uniquely useful thing I've come across in all my distrohopping and frankly I never was able to justify the compiling time-sink. I just use Lubuntu because it works on all my machines and gives me access to all the Debian and Ubuntu resources without any fuss.
>>
File: 1458553856436.png (626KB, 565x687px) Image search: [Google]
1458553856436.png
626KB, 565x687px
>>56968984
kubuntu if you like super riced out of the box.
>>
>>56969016
Fuck things up
Nobody on here shills mint, and if someone does he gets roasted.
>>
>>56969029
>You can always change your window manager later on.
Really? That's quite cool. Is it hard to do so? Let's say I install Lubuntu and then I want to switch to another DE, can I just get rid of LXDE?

>>56969034
>buntu is okay, but canonical still often manages to fuck things up.
Alright, what if I install debian? Will I be able to install the few programs I need and have it work? Is there synaptic at least or it's all command lines?
>>
>>56968984
I find Mate and LXDE to be the most comfy desktops by far but they're not ricer DEs compared to the alternatives. Your hardware is plenty strong enough to run anything, just give all the spins a try.
>>
>>56969016
There _is_ no difference.
The only thing that differs is hwo you achieve said thing.
For example, if you install portage on an Arch Linux distro and configure it with the same mirrors as it has on Gentoo, then you have a pseudo Gentoo just running in Arch.
Also, for a reason why people use Mint. It's a simple distro and has a lot of things pre-configured and pre-installed that Gentoo does not have by default. Which, for obvious reasons, can be a good and bad thing.
>>
>>56969097
>but they're not ricer DEs compared to the alternatives.
I'm a simple man. I just want a task bar like windows with a menu and a tray.
>>
File: 367.jpg (174KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
367.jpg
174KB, 1200x900px
>>56969081
Generally yes, but someone more familiar should answer that. Just don't go installing the entire *buntu-desktop because you'll end up with multiple versions of common apps.
>>
>>56968722
Yeah, I only learned of it very recently and that exact example is what I did. Lel.

>>56968843
>>56968906
They're literally interpreting Linux system calls into equivalent calls for the "Windows NT" kernel.

Instead of converting Linux programs into Windows programs, they're going through this list of every syscall:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/syscalls.2.html
, starting with the most used ones. The application uses syscalls to interface with the kernel. Once they get through every syscall, it should theoretically run any Linux binaries. It's awesome and horrible at the same time.
>>
>>56969124
Anything but Gnome or Unity fits that bill.
>>
Here's an example of a unique feature that actually makes me want to experiment.

Gobolinux sorts application files sanely.
>>
I have some xinput commands that I have to run myself everytime I start up x in order to enable mouse well emulation with my track point. Is there anyway I can set these to run automatically during X.Org start up?
>>
>>56968905
There is a distro dedicated to music editing and creations but I can't remember it's name right now.
>>
>>56969153
>sanely.
Your mileage may very
>>
Hey /fglt/ is there a simple way for me to add the Nvidia drivers on Debian like the Ubuntu PPA?
>>
>>56969081
>Really? That's quite cool. Is it hard to do so? Let's say I install Lubuntu and then I want to switch to another DE, can I just get rid of LXDE?
If you remove the right package this is not a problem, i had gnome on my system prior to removing it and installing dwm personally.
>Alright, what if I install debian? Will I be able to install the few programs I need and have it work? Is there synaptic at least or it's all command lines?
Most likely yes, the good thing is that you can start on stable and upgrade to testing or sid once you need new stuff and are comfortable.
You can install synaptic but it generally makes more sense to use apt or aptitude and stick with your choice. With debian it would make sense to read the installation guide and the wiki page describing your release. Maybe even skip through the administrators handbook. It is not hard but it makes more sense to read first and not to troubleshoot.
it is your choice though. Just remember that you can contribute yourself easily if you want, it is a community project after all.
>>
>>56969131
Is that the same way bsd uses linux binaries?
>>
>>56969153

What do you get out of that? How many times to you venture into /usr ? How many times do you venture outside of your HOME directory (that's not editing config files in /etc)? How many times do you need to copy/edit/open a file from there?
>>
File: Lost-in-Space.jpg (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lost-in-Space.jpg
183KB, 1920x1080px
>>56969174
ubuntu studio
>>
>>56969188
check the debian wiki article on nvidia proprietary, it explains everything nicely.
>>
>>56969188
https://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit

Normally I'd chastise you for being a shit who can't search simple things on your own, but I am in a good mood today.

On a related note, pick up the handbook while you are at it. Once you are comfortable editing conf and doing work in the terminal you will have a great deal more freedom with any distro you choose.
>>
>>56969196
I see. I think I'll install a *buntu for the time it takes me to know better about debian and finally install it. It's probably the most logical thing to do for somebody like me. Switching to linux is already a lot to assimilate and be familiar with.

I have another question. I have 2 disks, one with windows and the other one with linux mint right now.
Can I just format the disk and boot on windows?
Is my mbr fucked or anything (so I know I fix it before installing lubuntu) or is it ok because the mbr is on one disk and grub on the other?
One last question, how much swap should I use? It's not very clear, some people say as much as ram, so say it's useless with 8GB of ram, others say to put like 2GB just in case.
>>
>>56969284
I don't think that one I was thinking of was a ubuntu flavor.
>>
>>56969280
I remember when I used Linux exclusively I would constantly find programs slapping config files in strange places. It wouldn't be a problem if programmers could agree on summer fucking standards about where to put config files.
>>
File: transmission-gtk.png (15KB, 847x232px)
transmission-gtk.png
15KB, 847x232px
why is this 3x bigger than it needs to be
>>
>>56969491
BIGGER is BETTER
>>
>>56969491
Because your settings/theme say so
>>
Despite having squid/polipo setup to cache websites, pages with alot of images are taking a long as time.
Tried chromium and firefox,fresh profiles. The cache is on an ssd.
There are no logs on either program that indicate any error(verbose mode)
What could be causing this?
>>
>>56969389
that, and I wish there was a standard among distros to name packages the same.
>>
File: Openwrt_Logo.svg.png (32KB, 640x147px) Image search: [Google]
Openwrt_Logo.svg.png
32KB, 640x147px
Which free as in freedom router operating systems are, that requires less equipment capabilities than OpenWRT? My 2 routers are too weak for OpenWRT!!
>>
Is porteus any good? That package manager seems intriguing.
>>
>>56969389

That has nothing to do with the changes Gobolinux does.

>all over the place
Way to exaggerate. It's in your home directory. Either in ~/.conf (XDG_CONFIG_HOME) or in its own directory inside your home.
>>
>>56969389
>>56970284

>if programmers could agree on summer fucking standards about where to put config files.
They mostly do (see the xdg specification). Only proprietary software and a few free software projects do that. Even then, the free software ones allow you to specify an alternate location most of the time with a flag.
>>
>>56969960

And how would that improve your experience? I was never in a situation where I couldn't find out the name of a dependency when it was named after another distribution's name for that package.
>>
>>56970061
If your hardware is too weak to run that you don't need it in the first place
>>
>>56970350
I need my routers to route my network traffic, anon!
>>
>>56970329
just make things faster so I don't have to search online for what (insert-distro-name) decided to name it.
some are fairly easy to figure out pkg-config > pkgconfig.
>>
GUYS, my font is fine, everything renders perfectly. Soon as I download gimp it messes up the font on firefox, it shows symbols instead of words, any advice?
>>
>>56970517
AYY LMAOs are trying to contact you.
>>
>>56970517
learn to read symbols obvi
>>
>>56970517
install gentoo
>>
>>56970606
I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.
>>
This thread is dead. Memes everywhere. 9gag took over.
>>
>>56970689
So you don't know that memes are originated at 4chan and 9gag simply spread them?
>>
File: 1473488296929.png (113KB, 300x300px)
1473488296929.png
113KB, 300x300px
what are the best linux games?
>>
File: 1458671302890.jpg (75KB, 888x998px) Image search: [Google]
1458671302890.jpg
75KB, 888x998px
>>56970846
What do you want to play?
https://lgdb.org/games

Unity3d and Unreal engine have also been ported so make your own game if you want.
>>
File: Intelbras WRN 342 Slim.jpg (8KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
Intelbras WRN 342 Slim.jpg
8KB, 395x395px
My router (pic related) firmware is version 1.2 from 8 July 2014. There is a new version: 1.5 from 6 July 2016. Should I update?

The changelog talks only about the differences between 1.5 and the previous version, that must be 1.4, so I don't know if there are significant differences. Between 1.5 and the previous one there aren't.
>>
>>56968583
20/10/16
>>
File: 1386298800630.jpg (123KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1386298800630.jpg
123KB, 1280x960px
>>56971162
Too long still.
>>
>>56971162
>20th month
>>
>>56971189
>being an ameridumb
>>
I can't seem to get airvpn running anymore on Linux Lite (ubuntu based).

For some reason, the portable version just won't run.

So basically at first, I tried installing it from the .deb file using dpkg, and it could never complete successfully because there are some dependencies that are obsolete (fucking REEEEEEEEE), and then after that I ran apt-get -f install to attempt to locate said missing dependencies. Before, it got most of them but there were still some that could not be found.

Oddly enough, I downloaded the portable version and ran it which only ran successfully if I had those missing libraries installed. If I ran apt-get autoremove and got rid of them, then the portable version ceased working altogether.

Now after some more fuckery, it's not working at all, no matter what I do. Why the fuck is AirVPN for linux so fucking shit?
>>
>>56971196
nope
>>
>>56971204
If you are using VPN we have to assume you are intermediate user. I personally don't have any ideas about airVPN but you should ask ubuntu/xubuntu forums
>>
>>56971233
I've already done several Google searches on this topic, and it's not unique to me.

It's pretty much universally broken for Linux (or at leas Ubuntu-based systems). Their solution was to basically use the portable version, which I was until recently, which is now broken.

WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE FOR ME. THE WHOLE POINT OF A PORTABLE VERSION IS THAT IT DOESN'T NEED THOSE DEPENDENCIES AS EVERYTHING SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO IN ONE DIRECTORY.
>>
File: 1460654878148.jpg (42KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1460654878148.jpg
42KB, 499x499px
hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>56971284
Lubuntu
>>
>>56971284
fedora xfce spin
>>
>>56971284
Your very own.
>>
>>56971264
If I ran apt-get autoremove and got rid of them, then the portable version ceased working altogether.
What does it say?
>>
New with Thread added: >>56971345
>>
Has UTF-8 compatibility been fixed in FVWM95? If not, what other W95-like DE do you recommend?
>>
>>56970846
Probably dota. I'm currently trying to beat a gaming addiction, and if dota want easily available on Linux is have just installed it, because that would make things so much easier.
>>
>>56971351
well here's the terminal output.

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $libMonoPosixHelper.so
at (wrapper managed-to-native) Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall:_L_ctermid ()
at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $libMonoPosixHelper.so
at (wrapper managed-to-native) Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall:_L_ctermid ()
at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Looks like it's a shared library issue from what I googled.
>>
>>56971478
If you paid for the VPN, ask the support. IDK how to fix this myself
>>
>>56971495
Ok, fuck it. I'm just going to run the Windows version in Wine.

I don't know why they can't get their fucking act together for the Linux port.
>>
>>56971586
That probably won't work and it's still the best idea to contact their support
>>
>>56971605
Ok, fuck. It didn't seem to work in WINE either.

What the fucking fuck. Why is this such a pain in the ass when it shouldn't be?
>>
>>56971605
Ok, fuck. It didn't seem to work in WINE either.

What the fucking fuck. Why is this such a pain in the ass when it shouldn't be?

I really wanted to avoid contacting support as it's probably going to take them like 4 days to respond back and it's going to be back and forth over and over and over again.
>>
>>56970569
>>56970586
>>56970606
much help, many thanks

Seriously though, anyone have an idea whats going on? My config file has the font I want and everything...
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.