[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Qualifications for Programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 01.png (191KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
191KB, 640x480px
What kind of qualifications do you think are needed to get your first entry-level job in programming/software development?

I have a 2-year degree (great GPA and all that) in Software Development, and I have plans for the near future of getting a normal job and paying my way through an affordable online bachelor's program at WGU. On the side, I will also be building up a GitHub portfolio and starting a programming blog.

I was also wondering if you guys thought this would be enough to land my first job in a couple years if everything goes according to plan? Assume I have no formal work experience in the field and no connections.

Looking forward to your insights and discussion.
>>
fuck you
>>
File: 1463273214731.gif (2MB, 1000x512px) Image search: [Google]
1463273214731.gif
2MB, 1000x512px
>>56688181
You need to chill.
>>
>>56687093
Don't be autistic in the interview.
>>
>>56687093
>Implying they don't just hire anybody that watches Mr.Robot
>>
>>56690394
>>56690366
wait what
>>
bump for interest, im on the same boat
>>
Network yourself or be a savant.

Those are your options.

>source: unemployed CS degree holder
>>
>>56687093
>What kind of qualifications do you think are needed to get your first entry-level job in programming/software development?
I was doing front-end webdev at age 17, but that was in the early 00's when everything was on fire. I don't know if that is widespread today, but if you can demonstrate competency with CSS and basic JS you can get work, small contracts if nothing else.

>I have a 2-year degree (great GPA and all that) in Software Development, and I have plans for the near future of getting a normal job and paying my way through an affordable online bachelor's program at WGU. On the side, I will also be building up a GitHub portfolio and starting a programming blog.
Forget the degree. It's worth mentioning but don't spend time talking about it. You need to focus on that portfolio and putting things in it that look like more than baby's first hello world.

>I was also wondering if you guys thought this would be enough to land my first job in a couple years if everything goes according to plan? Assume I have no formal work experience in the field and no connections.
Yes it is very possible. You get connections through entry level contracts and jobs. If you portfolio looks like you can persist and produce then you will land a job.

>Looking forward to your insights and discussion.
The biggest insight I can offer aside from above is get a niche and stick to it. If you want to be a Java dev then go balls-deep into Java. Better yet, go balls deep into some particular application of Java like backend. Or learn all you can about front-end JS and a couple popular frameworks. etc. etc. There are many worthwhile languages and niche applications with a lot of jobs. Don't select for money, select for interest, because you will be working on this stuff for months at-least before you get hired.

Secondly, get >>>/fit/ and adhere to a healthy lifestyle. Building your mind and body in tandem makes everything easier. You learn to mange time and build confidence.
>>
>>56690641
Thanks for the well-written response. A lot of what you said confirmed some things for me. Good stuff.

>>56690611
I know I should network, but I'm really confused on how to get started. I don't think I have anything worthwhile to offer anyone yet.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.