[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Distro Wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 16

File: arch-linux-logo.png (19KB, 383x321px) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux-logo.png
19KB, 383x321px
Which Linux Distro Is The Best?
>>
>>56553032
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Arch /thread
>>
It's the same shit in different packages wrapped up for specific tastes. Use anything you like that is actively developed and updated. If you cannot comfortably set up your system in a distro-agnostic way, you need to git gud because unless you are happy with a *buntu distro, Linux won't be fun or productive.
>>
>>56553032
not again..The best one is the one you use.
None is the best. Unless you're ising macOS or Win you're ok
>>
>typing like that
kill yourself
>>
>>56553054
this
>>
>>56553057
Kinda disagree, the package manager makes or breaks a distro. Everything else I agree is the same, but I won't use anything that uses apt.
>>
>>56553032
>Distro Wars
>>>/g/fgtl

Any way +1 for the Arch team. Great distro with nice wiki.

Gentoo without the autism
>>
They're all pretty much identical with differences so minor they don't deserve consideration
>>
Ubuntu or BSD. Both newbs and greybeards love it. Basically, misguided edgelords fallow a path that harder is better and move to gentoo/arch, but when they realize their time is valuable they move back to what works, which is Ubuntu.
>>
>>56553032
Fedora. Easy to install with raid and full disk encryption. Just works.
>>
>>56553902
Whats wrong with apt anon
>>
slackware
>>
>>56554650
Implying the disk encryption in the Fedora installer is reliable
>>
>>56553032
>Noob
Ubuntu
Mint
Debian

>Intermediate
Fedora
CentOS

>Professional / Expert / Hardcore Hacker:
Arch
Gentoo
>>
File: 1471409624994.jpg (1MB, 1800x2744px) Image search: [Google]
1471409624994.jpg
1MB, 1800x2744px
>>56553039
>>
File: smug anime.jpg (7KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime.jpg
7KB, 229x220px
>>56556199
I see you're a hardcore hacker yourself, I'm a hardcore hacker myself.
>>
File: 1460908479602.png (23KB, 383x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460908479602.png
23KB, 383x400px
>>56556199
>Arch
>>
>>56556216
me too. type your password backwords it shows up as stars!!!! ******* you try!
>>
I had a really nice time working in Arch, and then I took some years off because my computer broke leading me to check out ubuntu.

Then when I came back, there was package signing, and I didn't understand everything. Sometimes I miss you arch, you were very good to me.
>>
>>56553054
This.
Didn't read any posts past this because Arch is dope.
>>
openbsd
>>
>>56555549
slow
>>
File: troll.jpg (39KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
troll.jpg
39KB, 400x300px
>>56553032
TrollLinux is best
>>
Antergos
>>
>>56556603
Man it's hard to init the pacman keyring.
>>
>>56555570
/thread
>>
>>56553032
Microsoft Windows 10
>>
>Intelligent, god tier
LFS, SOX
>>
>>56556576
toggafasipo
Did it work?
>>
the distro I like
>>
>>56553032
Arch probably, Gentoo is excellent too though.
>>
>>56560315
no, the distro I like
>>
The only answer is gentoo. Arch is software anarchy the lies about minimalism.
>>
>>56554322
>Amazon Ubotnet (TM)
>Nothing Werks + BSD

Try again. If you don't like how Arch is installed just install Antergos and change the os-release to Arch so you can look badass in desktop threads.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-11_23-17-13.png (2MB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-11_23-17-13.png
2MB, 2560x1080px
MasterRace Mint coming through.
Get the FUUUCK OUTTA THE WAY IT'S DANCE PARTY BITCHES IT"S MOTHA FUCKING SUNDAAAAAAY
>>
>>56553032
Server: Ubuntu
Personal: Arch

With Ubuntu on the server you get the robustness of Debian and the support from a proper company.

Arch is great for desktop because it's the easiest distro to try new software on, as the most up to date package that many times fix issues in desktops and you can also follow the Arch Wiki perfectly and learn linux.

Every other answer is a meme.
>>
>>56556199
This is dumb, if you know Linux you can do everything in all of them
>>
I use gentoo myself, but tried Arch and Ubuntu before and I seriously can't understand why so much people prefer pacmam over apt.
You can't even have multiple package versions with pacman while you can easily install and manage them with apt.
The only good things Arch has is it's wiki and the AUR even though it's not a very safe model to begin with.
>>
>>56560398
I like what you like
>>
File: Asuka has all the watermelons.jpg (986KB, 1585x1732px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka has all the watermelons.jpg
986KB, 1585x1732px
>>56553032
Asuka.
>>
File: Debian.png (213KB, 3000x3724px) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
213KB, 3000x3724px
>>56553054
>>56553881
>>56553914
Arch isn't best because
- no installer (so much for simplicity and convenience)
- inherently unstable (from being so close to upstream, as well as the AUR)
- it's insecure/unethical (from having no free software policy)

>>56554650
Fedora isn't best because
- Red Hat is in cahoots with the NSA
- logo is too stupid and easy to mock or disregard

>>56560681
Gentoo isn't best for all the same reasons as Arch, and waiting for things to compile sucks. Gentoo is only "best" for advanced users who have the time/dedication required to both install and maintain it over time.

Debian is overall best because
- quick and simple installer
- it's reliable/stable due to their thorough development cycle
- respects your freedom (with proprietary as an option)
- most packages available (Arch possibly has more with the AUR, but it's not very secure or stable)
>>
>>56556199
I like to pretend this cringey script kiddy bullshit is a joke.

Also reminder that Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike both use OSX. Archkiddies aren't impressing anyone but other autists.
>>
>>56553032

OpenSuse
Fedora

Mint treats me like a toddler. Ubuntu is OK'ish. Arch is a bore. Gentoo is for autistic people. Solus has promise. Debian is OK.
>>
File: OpenPEPE.png (120KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
OpenPEPE.png
120KB, 2000x1433px
>>56561586
OpenSUSE isn't best because
- insecure from no FOSS policy
- less packages available than other popular distros
- shit logo
- maintained by filthy Germans
>>
>>56561454
The question is what's the best distro, not what's not the best distro.
>>
File: Debian.png (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
78KB, 600x600px
>>56561735
Ever heard of process of elimination?
Also I said which I thought is overall best: Debian
>>
Whichever ones left when the rest die off. hopefully soon.
>>
voidlinux
>>
>>56556199
what the fuck does this mean? you should choose the distribution that is most suited to your work and work style. desktop thread posters are a small minority of idiots.

arch is nice because of the fuckhueg repository but debian is also useful for the same reason and is pretty great for server management.

competition is ridiculous.
>>
Funtoo
>>
>>56561693
>maintained by filthy Germans

this is a good reason to intall it, but i prefer arch
>>
Debian
>>
>>56561829
When you really know what ur doing like me, intelligent, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor you get sikc of the hand holding and you may also want very high raw speed and minimalism so u just install fucking arch bro, a distro that doesnt fuck around, bro
>>
File: 5167332?v=3&s=460.png (91KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
5167332?v=3&s=460.png
91KB, 460x460px
Arch minus the time sink.
>>
>>56553032
Guix or NixOS
>>
File: Well isnt this awkward.jpg (85KB, 350x524px) Image search: [Google]
Well isnt this awkward.jpg
85KB, 350x524px
>>56553032
Antergros KDE
>>
>>56561995
Also minus the up to date packages
>>
debian
>>
File: 1436765562719.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1436765562719.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>56563266
seriously, get Antergos, or even better install regular Arch with Architect Linux.
>>
>>56561454
>no installer
There are architect/archfi/arch anywhere for convinience. Text mode installer is more flexible than GUI/TUI installers
>unstable
That's the point of upstream. Get the latest bugs and get the latest fixes
>Free software policy
No one uses fully free system, so this has no practicality

Debian is garbage because
-It wants be a freetard distro, people use non-free binaries anyway
-It has no PPA. Debian doesn't have all the softwares in the repo
-No ports system
-Apt is slow, ugly and the repo structure is bloated to shit
-Forces the meme of holding packages for 4 years = stability
-SJW distro, it's a common knowledge and don't even argue over this
-Logo made with photoshop
-Logo design is incredibly stupid (See: Light Buzzyer's chin)
>>
What exactly is the "Arch Way"?
>>
Windowsfag here. Aren't all Linux distros generally the same?
>>
>>56563296
>architect/archfi/arch
All autism stillborn, with time sink.
>That's the point of upstream
No
>this has no practicality
Then please share your browser history here
>Debian is garbage
Debian is great. are you butthurt?
>>
>>56563316
do you prefer coke, pepsi, RC, or shasta cola?
>>
>>56563306
the broken way
>>
>>56563341
>All autism stillborn, with time sink.
What, you asked for installers and now that you have been given a list you call them autism?

Also what does my browser history have to do anything with completely free systems?

What's your CPU?
>>
>>56563344
I only drink water
>>
>>56563363
>Also what does my browser history have to do anything with completely free systems?
you're arguing that freedom has no practicality.
>CPU
Pentium 4
>>
>>56563390
>pentium 4
>poorfag.deb

Post a screenshot to confirm.

Free systems are not sold in markets anymore
>>
>>56563418
Please don't confuse freedom with poverty.
Also You haven't posted your browser history.
Give and take anon.
>>
>>56563369
then you like Elementary OS
>>
>>56563344
Coke - dpkg-based distros
Pepsi - rpm-based distros
RC - own/no package manager
Shasta - TempleOS
>>
File: Antergos.sh.png (33KB, 650x650px)
Antergos.sh.png
33KB, 650x650px
>>56561995

fixed
>>
>>56563293
>better install regular Arch with Architect Linux.

this
>>
>>56563998
>antergos
You have better chance in joining the KKK than getting that shit to install, nigga.
>>
>>56563998
This

Arch without the autism™
>>
>>56564325

installed at the first attemp, everything works, enjoy your cerebral palsy
>>
Any good distros for people who had few experience with linux?
>>
>>56560112
/thread
>>
>>56561825
this, or Alpine
>>
>>56560538
Looks like shit senpai
>>
>>56564702
I really, really want to use Alpine but getting compile errors for shit from musl is a pain in the fucking ass. It's so close to the perfect distro.
>>
>>56563296
>Arch is still good
>architect/archfi/arch anywhere for convinience
Unofficial, mostly unmaintained, and inconsistent.
>That's the point of upstream. Get the latest bugs and get the latest fixes
Right, this makes it unstable by definition. At least Debian gives you a choice between stability and up-to-dateness with their branches.
>No one uses fully free system
Bullshit.
>so this has no practicality
Doesn't logically follow, and is also bullshit.
Running free software is the only known way to completely avoid malware and spyware (besides using no software at all).

>Debian is garbage because
>It wants be a freetard distro, people use non-free binaries anyway
This is only a benefit. You have the option to use proprietary, but FOSS-only is the default. You have little to no choice about this on Arch.
>It has no PPA.
PPAs are insecure and unstable, which is probably why Debian doesn't have or use them.
>No ports
What exactly do you need this for?
>Forces the meme of holding packages for 4 years = stability
This is a gross oversimplification of the process that a package needs to go through to get into the Stable branch. They do more than simply holding packages for a long time.
See here: https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.release-lifecycle.html
>SJW distro
I don't even understand how this negatively affects a distro or any product at all, and it's not exclusive to Debian at all. Once a distro gets big enough, a percentage of its users (including developers) are going to be "SJWs."
>Logo made with photoshop
>Logo design is incredibly stupid
These have no impact on how well the distro works. Also I really like the logo.

>>56564669
All versions of Windows are confirmed malware/spyware, they have built-in back doors to do anything they please without your consent, and they send their bugs to the NSA before fixing them. Enjoy taking Big Brother's dick all day and night, and also having less control over your computer in every aspect.
>>
>>56553039
>>56553032
> ib4 rms interjection
>>
>>56553054
Never heard of Arch/thread, is that a new distro? I can't bfind anything on the Internet
>>
>56564006
>better install regular Arch with Architect Linux.>

the project is dead.
>>
>>56565025
>Unofficial, mostly unmaintained, and inconsistent
Unofficial. But they are maintained. And what does inconsistent even mean?

>this makes it unstable by definition.
This also means you'd get the fixes ASAP

>stability
Debian is not more stable than any other distros. Stop with this old joke

>I use fully free systems
Post proof

>Running free software is the only known way to completely avoid malware and spyware
If I push a free and open source keylogger wouldn't it be nice?
https://github.com/jeypolanco/xorg-keylogger

>You have the option to use proprietary, but FOSS-only is the default.
As I said before, people uses non-free binaries anyway. Don't be so hypocrite

>PPAs are insecure and unstable, which is probably why Debian doesn't have or use them.
Many open source software are available in the PPAs. Wouldn't that be, by your definition, secure?

>No ports
>What exactly do you need this for?
Automated git compilation

>This is a gross oversimplification of the process that a package needs to go through to get into the Stable branch.
And this is the truth. Debian stable doesn't make your applications stable and bug free magically.

Debian stable will not fix your bug in transmission
Debian stable will not fix your bug in gtk-file chooser
Debian stable will not fix your bug in xorg config

Because the packages you run on Linux are not maintained by debian, they belong to their respective vendors/maintainers.

>I don't even understand how this negatively affects a distro or any product at all
It prefers diversity more than the actual work

>These have no impact on how well the distro works
Kinda funny how you were mocking Fedora for their logo.

Hyprocrite
>>
>>56556199
> Only usefull for learning/recreation
Gentoo
>Instable
Arch
Debian/Unstable
Fedora
>Stable
Debian
CentOs&RH
Ubuntu
>Beautiful stacked DE but dangerously insecure distro
Mint
>Something else
Some Debian/Ubuntu derivate
Outdated Arch installer
OpenSuse
Obscure understaffed distro
>>
>>56565218
You don't learn anything else than installing Gentoo if you do it
>>
If you can't handle Gentoo you might as well use Ubuntu or Trisquel. Arch is alright. Debian is alright. But why use a binary distro to save some time when you can just use Ubuntu and get everything out of the box?
>>
File: 1463098864477.jpg (398KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1463098864477.jpg
398KB, 1024x768px
>>56553032
>Which Linux Distro Is The Best?
>>
not a derivative
not debian
from here most of the choice are good enough

my current favorite is arch but I plan to try a few more in the future such as nixos and guixsd
>>
>>56554322
>harder is better

Arch's wiki, package manager, and the AUR make Arch easier that most other distros.. You really have just been fed memes and lies if you think it is anything hardcore. I still consider Gentoo a bit hardcore, however I haven't actually completed an install of it, so maybe that is just a meme as well.
>>
>>56565141
>Debian is not more stable than any other distros. Stop with this old joke
It is tho m8
>>
>>56565437
>You really have just been fed memes and lies if you think it is anything hardcore.

I've used all three and currently have all three installed. If the distro doesn't come with an installer it is harder than it should be.
>>
>>56565437
Installing gentoo is reasonably straightforward.
Maintaining gentoo properly is a pain in the ass
>>
>>56565494
Sure, but a lot of the Arch memes are shitting on the actual installed distro, not the installer, which is what is actually triggering so many people.
>>
>>56565511
ah, so it's like the opposite of arch
>>
>>56565141
>But they are maintained. And what does inconsistent even mean?
Architect hasn't been updated in ~5 months and didn't work when I last tried, but yeah ArchFI and Arch-Anywhere look pretty up to date. I guess I concede this point, and I'll have to try them out again.

>This also means you'd get the fixes ASAP
Not necessarily, but yeah that's generally true. Debian still gives you a choice between stable and unstable where Arch doesn't.

>Debian is not more stable than any other distros. Stop with this old joke
No evidence for your point besides calling mine a joke? Call me persuaded. I'd say CentOS is comparable in terms of stability.

>Post proof that YOU use 100% FOSS
I never claimed that I use a 100% free software (though I aspire to). I said, "running FOSS is the only known way to completely avoid malware and spyware," which is still true. The only reason GNU/Linux even exists is because it's FOSS. There's almost no reason to run it if you use non-free software, but some people don't have much of a choice due to their hardware.

>FOSS malware/spyware exists
Yeah, but the difference is that it can be easily vetted, discovered, and modified. Non-free software inherently hides what it's doing and doesn't allow you to alter it.

>people uses non-free binaries anyway
You haven't changed your position and I haven't changed mine. Even if some (or all) people use non-free software, that doesn't invalidate its existence or usefulness.

>Debian stable doesn't make your applications stable and bug free magically.
Yeah, if you read the link I gave, you'd see the exact process which makes their software stable (I agree, it's not magic). Most critical bugs are discovered and fixed before entering Stable, and they gets regular security updates from Debian's security team.

>It prefers diversity more than the actual work
Proof?

>Kinda funny how you were mocking Fedora
I'm almost certain that people have been deterred by a fedora logo than an abstract spiral.
>>
>>56565656

Slackware
>>
Am also on the search for the 'best' distro.

Used Arch a lot. Was def fun and i learned a lot. But i am working on MacOS at work and was seeking something more stable. But still with an easy, fun, and fast package manager (homebrew on MacOS is slick. Also pacman was great).

Sadly i wasnt able to get along with debian and apt-get. It just feels slow and cluncky. FreeBSD was also great, with the ports system. But i feelt too much 'behind' with FreeBSD and i also had some driverproblems. So,what can you recommend me anon?
>>
>>56565529
Maintaining arch is easier but can still be a pain, especially if you want non-bleeding edge versions of particular packages or libraries.
It's a little annoying not being able to upgrade on a per-package basis in a straightforward way.

I like NixOS for this reason
>>
I am >>56565619
Minor corrections:
>Even if some (or all) people use non-free software, that doesn't invalidate FOS* existence or usefulness.

>I'm almost certain that people have been more* deterred by a fedora logo than an abstract spiral.
>>
>>56553054
This gentleman is correct.
Arch is best distro.
>>
None. All linux is inherently trash. Use OS X for desktops and BSD for servers. At least they aren't a cheap Unix clone with a godawful and obsolete display protocol (applicable for desktops).
>>
File: 1467847825303.jpg (280KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467847825303.jpg
280KB, 1280x720px
I've moved on to books and writing assembly programs on paper.
>>
>>56566924
BSD uses Xorg, dumbass.
>>
>>56569190
>applicable for desktops
>bsd according to my post goes on servers
>>
Mint
>>
>>56553054
Came here to post this
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.