[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/FLT/ - Friendly (GNU/) Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 41

File: flt.png (91KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
flt.png
91KB, 640x400px
Previously On >>56512897

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
>>56522014
Can someone give a tl;dr on the differences between .profile, .bashrc, and .bash_profile? Are those the only major config files that reside in the home folder?
>>
File: trumped.jpg (67KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
trumped.jpg
67KB, 500x495px
>>56521462
Is there anything you guys can do for me here?
>>
>>56522245
Give it back, Jamal.
>>
File: 1473325123998.png (125KB, 514x770px) Image search: [Google]
1473325123998.png
125KB, 514x770px
fuck linux
fuck bitcoins
fuck libertarians
>>
>>56522084

.profile is run when a login shell starts. .bash_profile is run when a login shell starts and it's a special snowflake named bash. .bashrc is run whenever any bash shell is started (e.g. in a terminal emulator).

p.s. a login shell is the one that you get when you log in to a system, either locally or via SSH.

Tons of programs love to dump their configuration and even temporary files directly in to your home directory. They're either 20+ years old or deliberately shit. Decent programs will dump files in to sub-folders of .config, .local and .cache instead.
>>
Forgive me if this is a very common question, but I've been experiencing some tearing issues in linux mint. As far as I've seen, playing videos and moving windows appears to be fine. My trouble is that I get screen tearing occasionally when scrolling on web pages. I'll try to get a screen shot or even a recording of this happening. Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
I have an arch usb. When I boot from usb, the screen is blank (monitors go off). I have an nvidia GPU. I have an existing linux install/grub. How the fuck do I get this arch shit to boot?
>>
>>56522257
> posting picture of a black woman

No, this is clearly a white man posting.
>>
>>56523476
Maybe disabling, or enabling hardware acceleration or smooth scrolling would help. Depending on your specs you could also consider trying a more light weight browser.
>>
>>56523476
Probably a compositor problem. Try installing Compton and enable it at login time.
>>
>>56523553
If you can atleast get to the screen where you can choose to boot into arch, press e and go to the start of the line at the bottom. Type "nomodeset" (no quotation marks) and press space. I had the same problem since I was using a 970. Just remember that you will have to do this every time you boot into the USB, but once it's installed you don't need to anymore.

>>56523476
http://gloriouseggroll.tv/2016-arch-linux-nvidia-get-rid-of-screen-tearing-and-stuttering/
Had the same problem. Followed this guide. Problem was fixed.

Now can someone help me? I have a 16 GB USB that I can access and modify files from windows. I can't do it on my arch install though. How would I get the permissions to modify the files on the USB?
>>
Can I play Brood War on Linux?
>>
File: disgust.png (41KB, 220x207px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
41KB, 220x207px
If I install steam on linux and copy the game files from a windows installation would it:

1. force me to redownload entirely
2. recognize files and download linux binaries only
3. just werk
>>
File: 1462235514654.jpg (107KB, 551x600px) Image search: [Google]
1462235514654.jpg
107KB, 551x600px
>>56524190
>he thinks linux and windows are backwards compatible
>>
>>56524207
>he thinks graphics and textures, which make up 99% of a game's file size, are system dependent

get a load of this dumb asshole
>>
>>56523476
if you have an nvidia gpu you'll probably never be able to fix it
>>
>>56524190
I believe the first option is what would happen, although if there was a way to trick it into thinking it was installed, verifying the cache would probably make it see the files it already had.
>>
>>56524207
Consider Dota 2

the 'bin' directory is ~450mb
the size of everything else including textures and scripts and images is ~14gb

In what way would it not be plausible for steam to include linux and windows binaries in a single installation independent of one another to hinder unnecessary complexity and wasted bandwith?

Or for steam's version control to not recognize that you have every file required except [linux binaries and dependencies] and automatically "repair" it?

Fucking shitty anime poster
>>
>>56524073
Be a bit more specific. What is the permission error? To modify permissions you use chmod, to change owner you use chown. The problem is probably some other thing, Like it's being mounted read only or wasn't unmounted correctly on windows.
>>
>>56524073
Was it mounted automatically or you mounted it by hand? Were you root when mounting it? Do you have write permission on the target directory?
>>
>>56524650
Can read files and all, can't write into or delete files. I rightclick on the mounted folder and the owner only has read permissions. I can modify the files on windows. There isn't a permission error at all, it just says "cannot delete file". I'm using dolphin + kde/openbox right now.

>>56524680
I plugged it into my computer and it just appears.
>>
>>56524717
Try chmod 644 -R "mount directory"
>>
>>56524811
Did that and folder permissions still show that I only have ability to read the files.
>>
>>56524872
did you do that as root
>>
>>56524872
Can you write as root?

try 666 instead of 634
>>
>>56524872
if you own it, "chmod +w file" the three codes are for "you group everyone" 7 is read write and execute (rwx), 6 is rw, 5 is rx, 4 is r.

If you dont own it "chown user file"
if not your group "chgrp group file"

the -R works for all of them and is for every file in the directory.
>>
>>56524717
also could have to do with what permissions the disk itself is mounted with in fstab or wherever.
>>
Should I give a plain WM a shot? I've tried using awesome for a while, but I didn't really get used to it
>>
>>56524903
>>56524907
>>56524954
>>56524982
as root yes

666 Doesn't change anything.

It's mounted on /dev/sdc1 so I'm thinking I have to change permissions of the mount? I don't know how to do it.

Added the location and /dev/sdc1 to the user (chown).

Did chmod +w.

Still can't touch any of the files on the USB.
>>
>>56525036
maybe unmount as root and mount as user
>>
>>56525036
It's not mounted on /dev/sdc1. /dev/sdc1 is mounted somewhere, probably /media/something, that's the directory you need to change permissions.

>>56525069
Only root can mount.
>>
>>56523995
This+Disabling XServer fixed it. There was an issue with it not using the normal nvidia driver on startup.
>>
File: 1440003640589.png (131KB, 385x340px) Image search: [Google]
1440003640589.png
131KB, 385x340px
>>56525088
>Only root can mount.

o woops
>>
>>56525069
I'm running "sudo umount /dev/sdc1".
Then I try running "sudo mount /dev/sdc1".
It tells me it can't find it in /etc/fstab.

Just tried sudo chmod 755 /run/media/user/usb (path is censored)

Didn't change permissions AT ALL. Still can't delete files. It's like it doesn't want it to be changed or something. I'm so confused since I've never had these dumb permission problems before.
>>
Whenever I acpi, I get

>Battery 0: Unknown, 98%

it was 99% before. It's plugged in. How can I fix this? do I need a new battery?
>>
>>56525155
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/something
>>
>>56525184
But now I can't access the USB through dolphin at all. What do I need to do to just be able to access it as a user and modify it as user?
>>
>>56524363
To be fair, Dota 2's design is a lot better thought out than most games, even ones with long-term support in mind (and after the Source 2 port, expect it to be around for way longer). Most of the content is scripted and sanity-checked for cheating because the mechanics and balance are constantly adjusted based on the current meta, which keeps updates concise and effective.

In comparison, a lot of devs have a very nasty habit of hard-coding everything because it's easier to fall back on the quirks and peculiarities of a single API or platform than to make correct, portable code. Source 1 is ancient as fuck, but if you want to play vidya on Linux and have proper drivers, games built on it run better than most.
>>
>>56525169
Also: When it's not plugged in and I acpi I get

>Battery 0: Discharging, 98%, 04:13:38 remaining

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>56525250
sudo chmod 644 -R /media/something
browse to /media/something
>>
>>56525300
Checked dmesg and it shows me this error. What does that mean?

Just tried that and it's not letting me access it even though it's supposed to have its permissions changed.
>>
>>56525335
it wasn't unmounted correctly in windows

so you gotta go redo that step and do the "scan and fix" thing
>>
>>56525335
The problem is that you unmounted it wrongly on windows. The easier way to fix is to mount on windows and disconnect properly.
>>
>>56525335
install ntfs-3g and run ntfsfix /dev/sdc1
>>
>>56525356
>>56525363
Just hopped to windows and unmounted it correctly. This is all it tells me now. I can't delete files still.

>>56525369
"refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sdc1"

I tried chmod 644 and it just locks me out of the files and doesn't let me access the drive anymore. chmod +w and chmod 755 don't allow me to delete the files still.

Also another thing: chmod is printing "operation not supported" on a bunch of files when I use +w or 755. Using 644 seems to work because it locks me out of the USB and doesn't let me access it.
>>
>>56525452
kill me now please

wrong screenshot
>>
>>56525461
this might be a non-answer but you could go back to windows and format it to fat32 and recopy your files to it

ntfs a shit
>>
>>56525493
Well shit. It's late so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for all the help anons I'm glad theres still a bunch of you who care to help someone new like me.
>>
I'm dual booting W10 and Ubuntu on my laptop, but now want to remove Ubuntu from it.
What is the best way to do this?
This says I can just delete the partition from Windows Disk Management:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/138250/how-do-i-remove-my-ubuntu-partition-from-windows-7-and-reuse-the-space

But then goes onto say that if one is using grub, you need to use a Windows CD (which I don't have). I'm a baby, how do I know if I was using grub?
>>
File: 1353953772.png (53KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1353953772.png
53KB, 500x357px
>>56525511
If you get a screen like this when you boot up, you were using grub.
>>
>>56525564
Ah, I am. Thanks.
I guess I need to look up how to make a system repair disc for W10.
>>
Is there a point in installing from source in Arch vs binaries? Do you have to reconfigure the flags in makepkg to optimize for different packages? I read that using blanket flags can cause issues. Is installing from source with yaourt or abs better? I'm interested to say the least.
>>
File: niceday.jpg (20KB, 400x536px) Image search: [Google]
niceday.jpg
20KB, 400x536px
> Arch Linux
> Want my laptop to run pacman -Syu --noconfirm every time I open the lid
> that way I don't have to worry about it (it's my old one, I'm keeping it around because I like laptops)
> using a systemd service file

Can someone explain the 'environment' variable in systemd service files? I already successfully wrote one to make xscreensaver --lock happen on lid open. That required running on display :0. How would a background process work?
>>
>>56525926
Installing from source is how you become bleeding edge. It's where all the memes surrounding Arch Linux come from.

Packages from the AUR are compiled from source.AUR has more packages and is more bleeding edge.
>>
I'm new to this. Everything seems exceptionally complicated. But I'm trying to learn.

How do I remap key in "xkb"? I'm using Elementary OS. when I load the "pc" file in terminal, whenever I try to edit it, it freaks the fuck out. Do I need to open the file in some sort of text editor or what?

I use a Model M and want to assign LWIN to my caps lock key, and caps lock to scroll lock. That's all I want to do.
>>
Just installed KDE. It comes with this piece of shit service called KDE Wallet which pop ups every five minutes asking for a password like a retarded child that doesn't understand what FUCK OFF means

How the hell do I disable this trash? I can't uninstall it because of dependency hell
>>
>>56526007
I guess I'm more interested in optimization. I was under the impression that bleeding edge was not necessarily isolated to the Aur, because it's user maintained; isn't using git clone smarter considering that it's cloning and building from source? Further isn't that why Arch has testing repos?
>>
You know how BSD users say "the man pages are actually good" in BSD, what do they mean? Anyone have examples?
>>
File: wew.png (148KB, 895x480px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
148KB, 895x480px
>>56525989
>>
is kde and gnome still the only options out there for a modern DE or has something that isn't crap finally come along
>>
>>56526054
>cant uninstall it because of dependency hell
really? I have KDE5 and I uninstalled it despite the dependencies.
It cant be hard to force remove one package in particular can it?
I think I did some waste of time bruteforce thing with unchecking boxes in the package manager frontend.
>>
>>56526184
Cinammon, MATE and XFCE?
>>
>>56522283
and fuck you too buddy
>>
>>56522245
ftp. there should be an ftp app for ios
>>
>>56526289
it would cost $2 and be made entirely by copypasting from stackoverflow
>>
File: 1464309495618.gif (151KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1464309495618.gif
151KB, 500x333px
So I have played around in a few distributions and even got Arch up and running. However I am not sure what the major differences between all of them are, as they all seem to work more or less the same. What would you guys recommend someone stick to for a while as they learn more about linux and do all of their normal work on? I.E. browsing, office work, programing, media, and other mundane tasks.

inb4 Ubuntu

I don't mind the idea of using Ubuntu but there has got to be a reason so many people pick the other distros over it.
>>
>>56526039
You should use xmodmap. Something like
keycode 133 = Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = Scroll_Lock

should work.

The keycode numbers can be found with xev. The above is what they are on my keyboard.

Put the above in a file, then see if it works with "xmodmap file-you-put-the-above-into". You can also use xmodmap like
xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Caps_Lock"
>>
>>56526320
>as they all seem to work more or less the same
If you know enough, they do.

>Ubuntu
Unity;
Not entirely free software.;
Contains amazon spyware.(may be disabled);
Doesn't contribute much back to the community.

I personally use debian because:
It's entirely free software;
Contributes back to the community;
Huge repositories;
Stable;
It's easy to use and allows me to do my job.
>>
>>56522014
>flt
>links to the wrong previous thread
>>
File: 1461696544260.jpg (150KB, 1282x1901px) Image search: [Google]
1461696544260.jpg
150KB, 1282x1901px
>>56526320
the difference between all others and Ubuntu is that if you want to learn how to develop on linux Ubuntu has million resources while all others have shit in comparison. Don't let /g/ autists and elitists drive you away from a perfectly good distribution. Most people who use linux for work use ubuntu not some version of linux no one gives a shit riced out to max autism.

The reason /g/ hates ubuntu is because they put (few versions back) the ability to search the internet from the dash and get little Amazon ads in the bottom of the dash. Nevermind this shit was easy to turn off with a single switch since day one, and that NOW it's not even turned on by default. If you want it you can turn it off to support the company because they get $ from every I guess purchase you make from those ads.

TL;DR /g/ is a bit autistic. don't do what /g/ tells you to do, nod your head and then do the opposite.
>>
File: 1453916183351.png (3MB, 1500x2085px) Image search: [Google]
1453916183351.png
3MB, 1500x2085px
>>56522283
>>56523553
>>56524109
>>56524190
>>56524207
>>56524363
>>56526320
>>56526401

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: autism-asshole-disease.jpg (45KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
autism-asshole-disease.jpg
45KB, 600x750px
>>56526399
>>
>>56526312
I'm really not familiar with ios at all, but it is a file system. So I would google how to setup a ftp server or client, and just connect with filezilla. Or try sending the files through wifi or bluetooth.
>>
File: 1466665976296.png (6KB, 196x50px) Image search: [Google]
1466665976296.png
6KB, 196x50px
Reminder that women matter. Join us:
http://archwomen.org/
>>
File: 1471743739951.png (169KB, 575x446px) Image search: [Google]
1471743739951.png
169KB, 575x446px
>>56524207
>backwards compatible
>>56526054
>KRunner "KDE Wallet"
>Uncheck "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem"
>>
>>56511349
I removed the hdmi output, but nothing changed
>>
File: UylTtnY.gif (776KB, 478x359px) Image search: [Google]
UylTtnY.gif
776KB, 478x359px
>>56526364

Looking more into Debian it doesn't seem bad and there doesn't seem to be a lack of access to programs I will use. What version would you recommend to someone who isn't going to use this as their main work station? Testing?

>>56526401

The guy above mentioned Debian and from what I can tell Ubuntu is based off of it. Would there be any major disadvantage to using Debian? From what I can understand the resource list for Debian is still fairly high.
>>
File: 1471184076709.jpg (178KB, 580x538px) Image search: [Google]
1471184076709.jpg
178KB, 580x538px
>>56526700
>Would there be any major disadvantage to using Debian?

aside from never seeing a vagina irl, I guess not. go for it
>>
>>56526553
Daily reminder that
 Debian is THE sjw mascot of Linux distros

2. No other distros have linked "male programmers' privilege checklist on their website except for Debian.
3. Debian is the only distro that encourages racial diversity more than the actual work
>>
I just wrote
sudo rm -r * folder/

instead of
sudo rm -r folder/*

Please insult me in friendly manner, I need it
>>
>>56526700
I have always used stable and had no problems with it.
>>
>>56526718
Good work, anon.

Next time use your file manager
>>
>>56526729
Thanks, I will remember that.

I should stop trying to be a cool hacker that uses the terminal.
>>
File: lmao.png (92KB, 960x531px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
92KB, 960x531px
>>56526718
Wait doesn't it warn you if you try and do that...
Oh god it doesn't.
lol.
>>
>>56526759
>He fell for the Shina Mashiro autism
>>
>>56526708
Oh pleases like the distro you pick would make you unattractive to wom...
>>56526711
Huh, I guess you have a point. That's fairly sad.

>>56526721
Thanks. If I go the Debian route I probably would too.
>>
>>56526700
Stable with Xfce works good for me. The only disadvantage to running Debian I've run into is configuration requires a half hour or so of work to get it up and running. Also the repositories are older (which has never been an issue for me).

This video will help you get a basic desktop setup running on Debian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7LAk2FpnMg
>>
>>56526826
>Xfce

into the trash it goes
>>
>>56522014
>nonstandard op that broke the chain and posted a thread when another one was already made
cancer
>>
>>56526843
>current year
>being meme'd

There's no reason to install more than what I need. You can install just about every DE there is with Debian if you want.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-09-09_23-44-02.png (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-09-09_23-44-02.png
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>56526826
Configuration hasn't ever taken that long for me unless I installed with the stable distribution, installed kde-full like a dumbass, and then upgraded to testing with a lot of updating and upgrading.
>>
File: 1428358182122.png (118KB, 303x267px) Image search: [Google]
1428358182122.png
118KB, 303x267px
>>56526401
Same faggot again, thanks for your advice so far and if I were to go Ubuntu would you recommend vanilla or one of its flavors like kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE?

>>56526826

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. If nothing else I am sure it will help me to go in the right direction.
>>
File: kmart.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
kmart.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
>>56526850
They were obviously just jealous of the wildly popular fglt threads that are so wildly popular and wanted to disrupt them.
D:
>>
File: 1472677112072.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472677112072.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>Decided to switch to debian from windows
>Finally get everything set up
>Codeblocks doesn't work
>I have some problems search for files
>Considering uninstalling
>Decide to fap
>Open up like 100 tabs
>It doesn't crash
And I just thought it was just my shitty computer that was the problem

Switching from windows to linux is the best choice I've made this week, but I still would like to use codeblocks.

What desktop environments would you guys recommend? I'm using XFCE right now.
>>
>>56526926
If you know what you're doing it probably won't even take that long with stable. I was coming from babbies first linux install with Mint and went to Debian after that. A bit of a learning curve there for me so it took a while.
>>
>>56526969
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-2507-CodeBlocks.html

Don't know if this works but worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.
>>
>>56526969
What is the problem with code blocks? I use XFCE.
>>
>>56526969
Are you sure your windows installation wasn't fucked up?
>>
>>56526998
That was back when I kept deleting xorg by accident some way or another and reinstalling Debian because I didn't know how to fix it. My process was:
>sources.list for non-free
>apt update
>apt upgrade
>reboot
>apt install kde-full
The process took 20-40 minutes each time I screwed something up and booted to a terminal.
>>
>>56526850
This.
>>
>>56526969
Reminder that it's actually the GNU system, Linux is just one of its kernels.
>>
>>56526969
>I have some problems search for files
learn about updatedb and locate
>>
Is there a /fglt/ approved kernel building guide for n00bz? I want to learn about how to choose modules and compile my first custom kernel.
>>
I used mint,now i installed arch with wm only. I think its cool opportunity to learn linux more.
File manager is pointless when using wm, right? I think i can do fine without it but i miss stuff like image viewer and pdf reader. Anyone can recommend some most important programs?
>>
Why is this thread called the "GNU/Linux" thread? Shouldn't it just be Linux?
>>
>>56527560
Ranger is a good file manager (it's even better if you're familiar with vi commands). You can use it as an image previewer with w3m too.

There's a bunch of good pdf readers but I'm drawing blanks at the minute.
>>
>>56527404
https://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
that one is nice, but any will do.
>>
>>56527570
no, i personally do not want hipster faggots and android users here.
>>
>>56527570
gnu is the os, linux the kernel
it's equivalent to windows is the os and nt the kernel
>>
>>56522014
Which desktop environment provides the greatest potential for ricing?
Currently using KDE neon but looking for something more stable.
>>
Max comfy: Ubuntu or Debian?
>>
>>56527681
Debian. Ubuntu can't be trusted since the Amazon thing, you never know which trash appears next.
>>
>>56527661
all of them.
but it is easier to get a stable WM to rice. what do you prefer? tiling or stacking/floating?
>>
>>56527716
Stacking. Tiling is cool but impractical for getting stuff done.
>>
>>56527780
noob detected
>>
>>56527780
i strongly disagree and claim the opposite but you would probably be well served with openbox+dmenu
>>
>>56527798
>>56527802
Well I haven't tried tiling before. Would you recommend a good DM for that?
>>
>>56527591
I got dwm. I think without file manager i would learn shell better. I dont like vi/vim (weird shortcuts, didnt use it much). I just need image and pdf viewer, video and music player.

Also installed firefox (through pckage manager) but its not strating. No idea what might be wrong. But im might switch to another browser that will be quite safe/stable and able to block ads (unless its chromium).
>>
>>56527035
When I try open codeblocks_16.01_amd64.deb in package install I get this error.
>>
>>56527837
Use the package manager like a normal human being.
>>
reposting from last thread

The only thing keeping me away from Linux is the fact that it's so damn difficult to install LaTex.
I tired it a few months ago, on ubuntu, and there were so many fucking steps and errors I just gave up and came back to windows.

Any one care to give an advice? Keep in mind I am a physicist pleb. The only thing I know how to do is sudo-apt get install.

Thank you!
>>
>>56527909
if you dont want to mess around installing packages on a need to use basis, just install texlive full, your editor of choice and be done with it
>>
This is possibly a very stupid question, but I'm quite new to virtual machines and in all honesty I treat them as something that just werks.

I have an installation of hardened Gentoo running in VirtualBox that I've become quite attached to. I originally just used it for programming but I was wondering if it might not be a good environment for more sensitive stuff like my emails, making purchases, etc.

Is the security of a virtual system at all affected by the host system? What about the networking?

As mentioned, sorry if this sounds dumb.
>>
File: 2016-08-21-183203_49x58_scrot.png (5KB, 49x58px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-21-183203_49x58_scrot.png
5KB, 49x58px
I managed to connect to the wifi, I can actually reach the router config page, but I cannot connect to the internet.
On my other laptop I can connect to the internet though.
How is this even possible?
>>
So guys, how do we keep trying to pressure people to use our OS? I keep saying "Freedom" and calling Windows shit while reminding people most Linux distros are free as in free beer as well so just try it. I've even left Live USBs in the back of people's computers hoping that they'll convert when Linux boots and they realise it's obvious superiority.
>>
>>56528083
# get ip addr
dhclient eth0
#ping google
ping 8.8.8.8
#fetch webpage
wget http://www.google.com
>>
>>56527824
no display manager needed, just add exec <WM> to .xinitrc.
i personally like dwm but most people start with i3wm so it is easy to find info. the manual of dwm is better though and the snapping makes more sense ootb in floating mode.
>>
>>56527829
>Also installed firefox (through pckage manager) but its not strating.
what OS? which launcher? did you report it?
i like cmus and mpv for media. and zathura.
>>
>>56528097
>So guys, how do we keep trying to pressure people to use our OS?
not at all, just let them know where it shines and what they are missing out on.
>>
>>56528097
I keep saying "install gentoo" while shitting on debian and arch
>>
How can I browse Linux partitions from Windows 10?
>>
>>56528109
works. thank you.
>>
>>56528203
ext2 explore
>>
Also is there a way to password-protect GRUB instead of making local accounts w password on my OS?
>>
>>56528229
There us, but why exactly do you want to use a bootloader lock?
>>
>>56528229
you can but this is not secure, look into grub password
>>
https://lighttable.com/

Anyone tried this?
>>
>>56522014
Arch user here, I want to switch to Gentoo. Since you have to compile everything, how long does it take, for example, to install a package like Firefox?
>>
>>56528314
>lighttable.com uses an invalid security certificate. >The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.github.com, github.com, *.github.io
>Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
no
>>
how do I prevent my laptop from going to sleep when I close the lid? (debian KDE)
dconf editor did nothing
turning "close lid operation" in /etc/systemd/logind.conf did nothing

which one is the real REAL option i have to toggle?
>>
>>56528347
X takes 15 minutes
Linux takes 35 minutes
Firefox about 45
KDE takes a few days
>>
Goddamn I'm sick of i3 shitting the bed because of a font or whatever. I can't even get to a command line, ctrl+alt+f2 does nothing.
>>
>>56528347
compilation and package download are interwoven.
so if you emerge multiple small packages at once, (like all the dependencies of the stuff you listed)
you can compile while you download the other packages.
if your internet is really slow, you might not even notice a lot of compile time.
>>
>>56528229
>password-protect GRUB
For what purpose?
>>
>>56528347
Why don't you download and compile Firefox on your system? Compile-times do depend on your hardware.
>>
>>56528500
pebkac
>>
>>56528550
Honestly I don't give a shit, there's no excuse for freezing input to the point you can't even escape X.
>>
>>56528473
looks like stopping the upower service did the job.
this doesn't seem right, but it works.
>>
>>56528479
>Firefox about 45
Depends on hardware and also whether you use profile-guided optimization. Profile-guided optimization will yield a small performance increase (5-10%) but it takes twice as long to compile since it requires a program to be compiled twice. Using ccache is supposed to lower compile times significantly.

>Linux takes 35 minutes
You can lower this amount by not building things you'll never use.
>>
>>56522014
Do I need to manually delete my Xorg profile when I insert a new video card?
>>
>>56528562
Compile dwm
>>
>>56528097
Linux has nothing to do with Freedom. It's actually proprietary because it includes nonfree, binary code.
>>
>>56528741
Ok so using magic I was able to boot into my DE with my intel drives through a new nvidia 750 gtx ti, but it's not being detected by Arch somehow? Will it work if I just install nouveau or will that break something?
>>
>>56528925
that's it
first people are like
>fuck gnu stallmanists, freedom is autism
but when it comes to selling linux to the man on the street:
>get linux, everything is free as in freedom, don't be a cucked pajeet
>>
>>56528941
>>56528741
Nevermind, fixed, thank you for reading.
>>
>>56528925
Fucking retard. Vanilla Linux is a free software
>>
File: 1461636260626.png (195KB, 661x556px) Image search: [Google]
1461636260626.png
195KB, 661x556px
>>56528960
No it isn't since many years. Get informed about binary blobs and microcode.
>>
>>56526931
if you like MATE desktop environment sure, you have Ubuntu GNOME too, but you know you can just install Ubuntu and then if you don't like it install whatever DE you want.

I used to be all about racing and shit, kind of got bored with it. Now my ubuntu looks the same as it did the day I installed it. Even the fucking wallpaper is the same. I stopped giving shit about it. But you can make it look pretty slick with just installing Arc theme or something like that
>>
>>56528825
It's alright anon, I just chrooted from a livecd. Fuck this is such a pain in the ass though, I'm too stupid and impatient to rice.
>>
>>56528960
there's a gnu fork of linux which is actually free https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
also what >>56528985 said https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob
>>
In Linux Mint Cinnamon, how do I get rid of the bar above the tabs? It's only wasting screen space. Ideally move the minimize, maximize and close controls alongside the tabs like in Windows.
>>
>>56529075
check the extensions of cinnamon. I know there's something called "maximus" or something like that. I don't remember exactly. It might do what you want.

When I tried it it was acting as I wanted but the DE crashed a lot of times so it was unusable. Maybe with mint it will works better since they disable a lot of update to avoid those crashes.
>>
>>56528925
That is why I use GNU/Hurd
>>
Anyone tried Alpine on a home server here?
>>
>>56528531
I just thought it would be more useful to input a password when I boot my laptop and then forget about having to do something else before accessing my desktop
>>
>>56529167
Why would anyone use a crippled system? Just use BSD.
>>
>>56529075
You should get rid of Mint as soon as possible. It has serious security problems.
>>
>>56529196
Unless you tap into Secure boot (which isn't secure anymore anyway) it's like booting without needing any sort of password.
>>
>>56522014
where is the /FWT/ - Friendly Windows Thread? Is this discrimination?
>>
>>56529202
Crippled? In what way?
>>
>>56529219
make one if you think this board needs more sheep. you already have sqt.
>>
>>56528173
arch, grub, dwm thats what i installed
>>
>>56529220
It uses pure busybox, which was made as a very slim userland for small operating systems like smart TVs etc, it's not that bad, but lacks of some functionality as daily driver. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BusyBox
>>
>>56529254
What the fuck, last time I checked this page had more content. Well, sorry. kek
>>
>>56529247
>arch
eh, file a report and update in a few hours
your launcher is dmenu
>>
>>56529217
I don't really care about Linux, this is going to be an Android developing system. Just want to make it as usable as possible.
>>
>>56529254
Is a slim userland not desirable for a toy server, though?
>>
>>56529219
winfags tried to create one
it was filled with shitposting and it died before reaching the bump limit.
>>
I want to replace crap unity, for anything else, whatever. But don't want to break my system. What to install and is it possible without reinstalling SO?
>>
>>56529305
then just install dwm or i3 to get rid of any wasted space. and the developer edition of ff with the dev theme.
>>
>>56529310
for a toy, yes, not much more though. it's great for routers.
>>
>>56529352
literally anything, tell me how you use your OS and i can suggest stuff.
>>
>>56529352
you don't break a system by installing a software.
You can simply install a DE of your choice and when rebooting your computer the display manager, lightdm (log in screen) will prompt you which DE you want to use.
>>
>>56529383
I use a lot of python and R for data stuff. Heavy shell user. Dual monitor. No games.
>>
>>56529435
dwm, xmonad, i3 or bspwm could be good for you, just read the manual/tutorial before installing.
the "workspace"/tag system in dwm makes a lot of sense for multitasking and mod1+0 shows all open windows or you can put stuff there to be on all "workspaces".
>>
>>56522014
>/FLT/
i see what you did here, proprietary cuck
>>
>>56529219
>>>sevenforums
>>
File: 1472104977735.gif (443KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472104977735.gif
443KB, 400x480px
>he doesn't use busybox
>>
File: 22:08:2016_scrot.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
22:08:2016_scrot.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Hey team. I want to get into media editing on Linux. I've looked around a bit and I'm stuck between a few options for Video Editing and Photo Editing.

For video editing I'm stuck between Blender and Kdenlive. I primarily wanna trim and cut parts of video clips, as well as combining audio clips with image rolls.

For photo editing I'm stuck between Krita and GIMP. I want something that's as close as possible to paint on windows; the ability to drag two images onto the program, arrange them side by side, and save the product as a new image is important to me, as is being able to add text on top of images and filling in spaces with a single color.

Apart from that I want to get into music editing but the best available editors (ableton and fls) are both not available for this platform. Are there any good alternatives for linux?

If anyone could give me advice that would be great.

>>56529435

Use a tiling Window Manager to suit your workflow. They take a little bit of getting used to but if you're using a lot of shells they will be beneficial in the long run. As tiling window managers are not fully fledged desktop environments they will need a bit of tweaking to get going but once you do you'll never look back.
Here are the options:

i3
>easy to use and configure, best option in this list out of the box; not the most customisable but very convenient. I use this one.

awesome
>Feature filled and very polished interface. Huge cusomisability options. A little lua scripting involved to customize it (which put me off). Allows you to switch between floating and tiling very fluently.

bspwm
>much like i3 in how it operates, however it is much more barebones. Involves a good bit of configuring and scripting compared to i3 in exchange for a more taylored desktop experience.

dwm
>extremely barebones. Must be compiled from source. Adding extra configurability involves patching your version of dwm with other users' submitted patches. Configured from source in C.

Pic unrelated
>>
I have a radeon 280x here

Are the new AMDGPU drivers compatible now with that?
>>
New to linux here - Using ubuntu. Ive just downloaded Cairo dock as my main dock but the old Unity/Ubuntu launcher is still there, how can i get rid of the Ubuntu launcher and keep the cairo dock there all the time?
>>
>>56529849
No.
>>
>>56529849
Just autohide it and leave it hidden.
>>
>>56529781
I don't work with video myself, so I can't tell you what is best there.
Aside from the ones you mentioned, I can mention openshot.
Try the different ones and see for yourself.

As for a paint like image editor, kolourpaint is really good.
I use it a lot myself and it is basically Microsoft paint with better color support (transparent is a color).
If all you want is a good cropping tool, then gwenview is really good.
Maybe someone is aware of a smaller project that only does cropping, but I really like gwenview and it doubles as an image viewer.

For audio, audacious is pretty good, but I don't know what exactly you want to do.
>>
>>56527837
Try using the terminal:
sudo dpkg -i codeblocks_16.01_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

That's if you have sudo installed, otherwise run "su" first to login as root and run these commands without the "sudo".
>>
>>56529930

I'm looking to produce music :P Thanks for the recommendation with kolorpaint. I'm trying it out now :)
>>
>>56529922
Thanks but my problem was that the Cairo dock would also hide itself but ive figured it out now, i just needed to find the Cairo docks own settings and adjust them to always keep it on the top :D
>>
Also new to linux, Can anyone explain why Ubuntu crashes so frequently? Must have had 5-10 crashes in an hour or two doing extremely light weight tasks such as opening chrome or downloading a jar file, my pc specs can definitely handle simple tasks like these,
>>
>>56530033
install gentoo
>>
>>56530033
Depends on your system. Use the -b flag with journalctl to review logs of past boots.
>>
>>56530055
What exactly is journalcti?
>>
>>56530033
There's reasons why ubuntu got so much hate in this board. Ubuntu could be great, but canonical is a shitty company and won't achieve anything great.
switch to another distribution.
>>
>>56530069
man journalctl
>>
how to open /etc/apt/sources.list

its say permission denied, i'm root...
>>
>>56530049
>>56530055
>>56530069
>>56530070

literally have been using ubuntu since like 2010 or something and never had a single crash, it never even freezes
your hardware is shit boys
>>
>>56529930

Update: Thanks for the kolourpaint recommendation this is great! I don't know how I didn't use this before! You truely are based anon.
>>
>>56530090
You're trying to execute it. If you want to edit it, use an editor like nano or gedit or vi by pretending it to your command line.
>>
>>56530095
Alright, well done. Good for you?
>>
>>56530112
Prepending*
>>
>>56530090
sudoedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>>56530089
still confused. How do i get to this 'man journalcti'?
>>
>>56530095
Great... You've really proven to me you have superior hardware via an imageboard... i better go cry myself to sleep. What makes you think your hardware is so great and mine is so bad it causes crashes, windows seems to run perfectly on my system and windows seems to get a ton of hate for being harder to run compared to linux.
>>
>>56530131
open a terminal
type the command
hit enter
wipe
>>
File: 1466824275622.png (6KB, 273x115px) Image search: [Google]
1466824275622.png
6KB, 273x115px
>>56530148
>>56530118

god you people get triggered easily...

> windows seems to run perfectly on my system and windows seems to get a ton of hate for being harder to run compared to linux.

you know...maybe you're just too stupid for linux
>>
>>56530162
lol nice maybe im getting better at this shit already since id already tried this, However the result i got back was 'There is no manual entry for journalcti'
>>
>>56530173
Maybe thats right, i mean i suppose you knew how to use linux perfectly the first time you'd ever ran it especially when people were making needless comments on a 'Friendly linux thread' calling out peoples hardware as shit.
>>
>>56530184
It's journalctl
>>
>>56530219
ahh thanks must have just read it wrong :D
>>
>>56530236
:DDD
>>
>>56530253
What exactly should i be looking out for in this text?I cant see any sections which explicitly mention past boots or crashes
>>
Why are weeaboos so attracted to Arch Linux?
>>
What should my sources.list look like ? (DebianJessie)
When i try to update i get some errors.
>>
Why is Debian stable so superior and comfy?
>>
>>56530276
>>56530291
More importantly, why are SJWs so attracted to debian?
>>
>>56530291
can you post a screen shot of the sources.list pls ?
>>
>>56530291
>Debian stable so superior
t. poorfag that runs 20y/o Pentium II computer
>>
>>56530253
I just crashed again while navigating the contents of an rpm file, its strange that such little things can crash it, im running 8gb of ram so that should be filling up...
>>
>>56530033
Your problem is not really specific. What crashes exactly?
>>
>>56530343
Yeah sorry about the whole not being specific thing, but it seems to be litterally anything can trigger it, installing chrome for the first time, installing appchan x, navigating the file system (java rpm), installing cairo dock the first time, using firefox... etc etc... my hardware is capable of all of this so its definitely not that
>>
>>56530367
Seems like a problem with installation
>>
>>56530381
Maybe im slightly retarded but the installation did mention something about i should do some shit with swap space, i chose to ignore that because id been told a few nights ago on a thread that it was fine to nowadays however even when i did try to see what it was the only option that looked similar to swap space was something like swap data, so i never ended up using the 'swap space' option, could this be why? (Sorry for terrible grammar/punctuation im tired)
>>
why not use a real OS like windows LMAO nerds
>>
>>56530412
windows botnet
>>
>>56530290
someone ?
>>
>>56530412
Because Windows is malware.
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
>>
>>56530290
Remove the problematic ppa. It 404s so it doesn't exist anymore.
>>
If I support debian, will they use whatever support I give them to promote /free software/, or will they use it to promote femenist activism?
This is important.
>>
>>56530449
Have you tried opening that url in a browser yet?

Also, why are you trying to add ppas to Debian?
>>
>>56522283
cute lizard dude where u get that from
>>
So I was thinking about switching to systemd/Linux but I heard Pottering boots with google default DNS
>>
>>56528173
What about image browser?
>>
>>56530877
feh
>>
What Photoshop versions work well on Wine without extra configurations?
>>
>>56529781
blender is great imo, but the learning curve is not just hard for the 3d part but also the video part.

LMMS and ardour are usually recommended.
>>
>>56530877
imagemagicks display for no bloat and being usable correctly on tiling WMs or some gui one like viewnior.
for a file manager there are ranger and spacefm for example, both are good.
>>
>>56522014
anime was a mistake
>>
>>56531007
>alpine
Wew lad
>>
This is pretty damn nice so far. 211 packages, barely ~900mb(!) for a full install, and holy shit is their package manager fast.
>>
>>56531044
what distro is that? what wm is that?
>>
>>56531066
It's Ubuntu with Unity.
>>
uh, anyone here available to make a list of reasons not to use w10?
>>
>>56531110
I don't like it. That's all the reason I need really.
>>
>>56522014
maki maki gimme the freedoms
>>
>>56531124
I sort of feel like im causing myself more hassle by using ubuntu over my w7 just because ill probably have to go to w10 when i do a fresh install (it was a w7 pirated copy i dont have access to now) so yeah, im trying to convince myself its worth it...
>>
>>56531066
It's called Alpine Linux anon, the WM is just a nigger rigged version of i3 + LightDM. It's extremely small out of the box (the standard .iso is around the same size as Ubuntu minimal) and it takes about 5 minutes to install.
>>
>>56531110
It's not Gentoo
>>
Which music player does /g/ like?
>>
>>56531237
Is gentoo good for a complete beginner ?
>>
>>56531110
Best way is to just use it for a week honestly.
>>
>>56531262
Yes.
>>
>>56531274
you made me laugh anon :D
>>
>>56531221
If you meticulously go through every data collecting option and say no you still forced on one to send your browser history to MS.
>>
>>56531297
I wonder what they do with all that data
>>
File: 1445521087065.png (261KB, 450x521px) Image search: [Google]
1445521087065.png
261KB, 450x521px
http://manjaro.org/keep-calm/
>>
Is the "MINT IS SHIT" meme just a meme or is it best to avoid?
>>
>>56531339
For 99% of users its deficiencies won't matter, but I would not personally do any sensitive work on Mint.
>>
>>56530298
Is this true? I don't want to use something that has the stigmata of SJW attached to it
>>
File: valid filename.png (757KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
valid filename.png
757KB, 1440x900px
>>56529969
I was in the process of reinstalling windows when you made this post

It don't matter
none of this matters

call me whatever you linux guys call people who can't figure out linux, I don't care, I'm too big of a brainlet to deal with constant errors, I just wanted to download and run things easily.
>>
>>56531544
Then why did you use Debian, anon?

Use Memebuntu.

(It's really not that hard if you put in some effort though).
>>
>>56531544
to be honest, i can sympathise with you, i wish i could install a distro and for it to just work perfectly from the get go :/
>>
File: CopyofIMG_3067.jpg (209KB, 957x768px) Image search: [Google]
CopyofIMG_3067.jpg
209KB, 957x768px
>motherboard manual:
>Due to USB 3.0 controller limitation, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under Windows OS environment and after the USB 3.0 driver installation.
Should I really trust this information? I can't believe that GNU/Linux don't have a solution for this problem!
>>
>>56531339
Avoid it. Mint is a poor hack.. they throw together packages of Debian and Ubuntu, highjack package names that already exist (for example, you aren't able to install mdm on Mint, because they named their DM "mdm") etc. Mint also comes with a lot of proprietary software out of the box, hacked together in a way that makes the whole system break when the user tries to update packages, so they simply blacklist a whole bunch of packages, so they never will get updates (linux kernel included). This leads to a huge lack of basic security; when a new vunerability is discovered, everyone can update his system with the security patches - except Mint users.
>>
>>56531599
well mint's update manager allows to enable these "dangerous" updates, but well... leaving the user alone with to options: stable and insecure, broken and secure
>>
>>56531594
>can only be used under Windows OS environment
Bullshit, why would any controller care about the OS running on a different chip?

>and after the USB 3.0 driver installation.
Probably very true for the Windows OSes at the time this was written.

Generally, Motherboard manufacturers don't give a flying fuck about Linux and even if it works they won't mention it since they won't test it either.
>>
File: 1469940071104.png (8KB, 450x401px) Image search: [Google]
1469940071104.png
8KB, 450x401px
what is the best linux? no need to fall for any memes, just tell me which one is the best so I can go on with my life

thanks
>>
>>56531544
>he fell for the debian meme
it keeps happening
>>
>>56531714
>>
File: 1449008277423.jpg (1MB, 1600x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1449008277423.jpg
1MB, 1600x1300px
>>56531714
GNU Linux-libre
>>
>>56531714
gentoo
>>
>>56531544
https://packages.debian.org/sid/codeblocks

codeblocks is in the repos and you're installing some shitty .deb that's probably for Ubuntu or whatever
>>
>>56531714
Probably Arch
>>
>>56531714
it seems to depend on your tastes and knowledge.
The sentiment seems to be that gentoo is the best for wizards, if its worth anything, with arch as a second choice.
Otherwise, I think its supposed to be ubuntu or fedora? Or maybe debian, iunno.
>>
File: 1462148370346.jpg (239KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462148370346.jpg
239KB, 800x800px
You guys are all idiots.

You should be using the distro I'M using. The fact that you aren't just proves how much of an idiot you guys really are. Get on my level.
>>
new linux user here. I tried to install Kali on my PC and everything seemed to work but it doesn't give me the option to boot Kali and instead just goes straight to windows everytime I boot. Where did I fuck up?
>>
>>56531943
>I tried to install Kali on my PC
At this point
>>
>>56531943
You fucked up by installing Kali.

Also nobody can tell you what you did wrong because you didn't give us enough information.
>>
>>56522245
>Upload pictures to a could storage
>Download pictures from the cloud storage you chose with your computer

Tada
>>
>>56531943
I'll try to be of help.

Kali Linux is a pen-testing distribution, derived from Debian. You're not supposed to install it on a hard drive. You install it on a USB and run it from there when you need it. Because that's what it is, a tool. Not something you use as a daily operating system.

There's nothing wrong with Kali Linux, if it's used as it's intended to - a penetration testing tool. On a USB.

Pick another distro to install to your hard drive.
>>
Ebin, some of /fglt/'s wallpapers went wallhaven
https://alpha.wallhaven.cc/search?q=%22GNU%20/%20Linux%22
>>
>>56531990
>Fedora
>Think Correctly

Yeah, that's kinda creepy
>>
>>56531961

Should I have started doing morphine before or after downloading Kali? I'm working on being schizophrenic but I thought that would come with the hacking experience.

>>56531984

haha ok that makes sense. I wonder why it gave the option to install then. oh well i'll just download ubuntu. thanks for the help
>>
>>56531990
>that awful color swap on the debian logo and the background
for what purpose
>>
>>56532019
The other anon made it to match the "Arc Theme".
>>
>>56532006
Ebin Mr. Robot reference, anon. I got that reference.
>>
>>56530897
GIMP, Krita and inkscape
>>
>>56532036

thanks bro. I knew it was going to come after I said I was installing Kali. God forbid anyone have some fun on 4chan
>>
>>56531544
>using GNU/Linux without your package manager
why would anyone go through this hell?
>>
>>56531714
the one i am using
>>56531738
>>56531806
cancer
>>56531852
there are only very few correct answers to that question.
>>
>>56531990
wow i completely forgot that i had that account. one moment
>>
how do i install steam on kali linux
>>
>>56532149
rm -rf /
>>
>>56532149
:(){ :|: & };:
>>
>>56532149
mv / /dev/null

hope it helps
>>
>>56532178
>>56532195
>>56532220
And the beautiful thing for these methods is that you don't even need sudo permissions, because Kali runs on root mode by default already! Less hassle. :)
>>
>>56532178
it says "rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on '/'
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this fail safe"
>>
>>56532178
>>56532195
>>56532220
Confirmed for newfags, non of these commands will do any harm.

>>56532149
sudo sh -c 'echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger'
>>
>>56532241
rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Easy!
>>
>>56532149
hack into valve servers
>>
>>56532250
still needs root faggot
>>
>>56532266
He's on Kali! Root mode on by default! How convenient no?
>>
->
-> >>56532253
->
>>
Okay so, still new to Ubuntu still got issues, it seems opening a new google chrome tab is enough to crash this OS, no idea why... (Fx 6300 (Fuck me i fell for the amd meme) 8gb of ram etc etc)) and i doubt its hardware related, my options were - Try gentoo but now im thinking that was a meme since this looks too difficult for a total noob who doesnt want to spend forever configuring shit and just wants to jump into an OS that isnt windows - Reinstall Ubuntu and see if that fixes any problems (Using the same USB though... idk if its worth it) - Or just going back to Botnet7.. Can anyone help.. please
>>
>>56530095
>something doesn't works ? let's blame the users because
>works in my machine
kys
>>
does stuff like web browser, eclipse need x server?
>>
>>56533576
pretty much, unless you opt for wayland
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.