[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hpg/ - Headphone General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 45

>Headphone purchase advice
http://pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread: >>56398708
>>
File: Cover.jpg (351KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
351KB, 500x500px
What headphones will make my anime and vocaloid music not shit?
>>
File: 1472917969096.png (652KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1472917969096.png
652KB, 700x700px
>>56417928
This one
>>
probably the wrong thread, but

>upgrade from senn e835 to e935
>now we're cookin with butter
>friend lends me sm 58
>spend half an hour trying to convince myself that I like the sm58 over the e935
>fail
>>
>>56417928
If you believe in KyoAni shows AKG headphones.
>>
>>56417959
fuck, I mean i liked the sm58 more
>>
>>56417928
Scared to even try the new rabu raibu shit since the music from the original series was so garbage and a good example of horrible mastering.
>>
Anyone know of some good positional audio headphones, that are closed?
>>
>>56418121
Ether C
>>
nth for 668b's are the best thing china has ever exported
>>
Doing some mods to a pair of MDR V6s, going to split the cable and terminate at 3.5mm TS on each side rather than having the wire run over the headband. I found some cheap TS connectors and sockets, but I'm not sure what kind of cable to get to match the stock thick rubberised cable.

Anyone know of some similar cable? It's rubberised and about 3.5mm diameter, quite heavy.
>>
>>56418153
i got the 681 evo instead, did i get rekt?
>>
>>56418968
they look more comfy and they're closed back so probably not that big of a difference
>>
Is it even possible to find decent comfy headphones for 60~ eur
>>
>>56418994
They are very different headphones.
>>
>>56417912
Why are you so entitled to shit the OP ?
Your OP pics are better than those of the other faggot thought.
>>
>>56418153
also the most uncomfortable
like holy fuck
those things need a pad change unless you want ear cancer
>>
Does anyone know an alternative to the focusrite audio interfaces that have power from the wall?

my mic needs a bit more than what USB would deliver to power it properly

otherwise ill just buy a chinky full 48v supply off ebay
>>
Anyone here that have IEMs where the cable go behind the ear and also wear glasses? Looking at Shure 215s but I'm afraid the cable will just fall off or it won't be comfortable.
>>
a friend is looking for a pair of headphones. trying to help him out, but the budget is what it is. any suggestions?

>Budget
70€, could spend 100€ if it's worth it.

>Location
EU

>Source
average audio output from the computer

>Preferred type of headphone
Full sized, over ear

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
good

>Preferred tonal balance
neutral or rock music
>>
>>56417263
>The definition of the word doesn't mean anything more than a person enthusiastic about audio.
your reading comprehension is piss poor if you think that what it says
>It doesn't have a negative tone
that's the point i've been stressing throughout the whole conversation
>>
>>56417912
Why is wireless frowned upon? I'm thinking of getting new wireless headphones but this op has me worried, what's so bad about them?
>>
Is SHP9500 my best bet for 80 bucks
>>
>>56419979
something something audio quality cant something bluetooth
>>
File: 1442596382366.jpg (22KB, 336x229px) Image search: [Google]
1442596382366.jpg
22KB, 336x229px
Can you guys help me decide between Beyerdynamic DT-990 (250 Ohm version) and AKG K-701.

To be completely honest, the reason I'm undecided is entirely aesthetic. The K-701 look so much better than the DT-990, which I was completely set on buying until a friend linked me the AKGs.

Are they comparable or is one obviously inferior?
>>
I own ath meme50xs but I also want better computer speakers or speakers I can use on my computer.

My buddy told me cr3 mackies were pretty good and cheap at only $80 a pair on sale often.

Is there any other speakers that would be better than this at the $100 price range? I could not find a thread for speakers on this or /mu/.
>>
File: 1455747899267.png (179KB, 384x507px) Image search: [Google]
1455747899267.png
179KB, 384x507px
>Budget
150€ to 200€.

>Location
Germany

>Source
Just a good ol' PC

Around ear.

>Open or closed
Open.

>Comfort level
Comfy as fuck

>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy as fuck.

>Past headphones
Superlux 668B

Hit me big bois
>>
>>56417974
>not auditioning microphones first

You are a goddamn faggot.
>>
>>56417912
>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>Wireless is frowned upon.
>Headset requests are frowned upon.
why is this dogshit still in the op?
>>
Looking for a pair of headphones, never had any in my life, except shitty poundshop ones. Tried my friend's on and it was an experience to say the least.

I never really knew what sound quality was, and I was just wondering if these were any good?

Sennheiser Urabnite XL (overear), they're in my budget and have been told they're a good brand.
>>
>>56421674
I put it in the OP literally just to trigger you. It's a game I play here in /hpg/ that I like to call "find the autist". Some people go bass fishing, some people go deep sea fishing... me? I go fishing for retards. Looks like you're the catch of the day, kid. Next time think before you post, because you just might find yourself in my crosshairs again.
>>
Can someone explain to me how a headphone that has both wireless bluetooth and wired options sounds better wireless than it does wired? seems backwards to me
>>
>>56422078
Memed kiddo
>>
okay boys, redirected here from /mu/
Are there any headphones in the 100-200 range that are actually good and wearable in public?
I am considering m50x but that kinda defeats the point because I have decent speakers at home and i'm not gonna wear m50x in public.
If you haven't guessed they're supposed to be used for music.
>>
>>56422224
dt 770 80ohm lad
>>
File: 112b9660673.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
112b9660673.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
What are my best options besides ath m50x and sennheiser momentum if I wish for good cans for music/playing vidya? Music is mostly edm/trap/dubstep
>>
>>56422224
Solo 2 is pretty decent.

Soundtrue II is also a good option.

Sennheiser Momentum as well.

M50/DT770 looks large and goofy. Personally I use IEMs in public.
>>
File: jotunheim-rr-1920.jpg (208KB, 1920x1170px) Image search: [Google]
jotunheim-rr-1920.jpg
208KB, 1920x1170px
Is it possible to power my KRK monitors with the Jotunheim, or what are all the XLR ports for?

Would it also be a good fit for the Hifiman HE560?
>>
File: sennheiser-momentum.jpg (13KB, 355x289px) Image search: [Google]
sennheiser-momentum.jpg
13KB, 355x289px
>>56422294
>>56422456
thanks boys, i was considering momentum aswell. just for confirmation is it the version in pic related
>>
>>56422570

That's the on ear variant. The momentum 2.0 ivory apple is 210 usd on amazon.
>>
(asking for a friend, not myself)
>Budget

£10 - 80

>Location

United Kingdom (mainland)

>Source

Generic motherboard sound card

Fully sized over ear (e.g. sennheiser hd 598)

>Open or closed

Open preferably, but I don't really mind

>Comfort level

Comfy. The headphones that you can just wear for like 4 hours and not even realize you have them on - though if you can get headphones that sound better by being less comfy, that is preferred .

>Preferred tonal balance

neutural/v shaped.

>Past headphones

"some crappy turtle beach headset that I've had for 3 or so years, I've lost the box so I couldn't give you an exact model. I've had the earbuds that come with the galaxy line of headphones (both the wired shape ones that go directly into the ear canal and the generic shaped earbuds), though I have tried out things like the beyerdynamic dt 990 and overall liked them - I listen to mostly rock, and edm and it overall was alright for those genres but the dt 990s were like £130"

>>56422456
I'd go for momentums, I have a pair that I managed to get on clearence for £35 and they're pretty neat, and look decent for outside use (they also dont leak sound)

>>56421866
How much is your budget? I remeber some sennheiser exec saying that they're designed specificaly for fashion, so the sound quality isn't as good as other headphones.

>>56417928
I'd see if you can get some xiaomi hybrid earbuds, they're usually around $15 and are honestly pretty good for anime and vocaloid shit.

>>56419092
Have you tried dumpster diving computer stores for headphones? Also generaly physical stores usualy put up old models for clearence (E.G. I got a pair of sennheiser momentums 1.0 on ear for over 70% off due to clearence for momentum 2.0 which I've heard isn't too different)
>>
>>56420329
if you want neutral open back, yeah.
>>
>>56422570
not tried the over ear versions, but I have those in blue, and they are COMFY.
>>
>>56422789
>Have you tried dumpster diving computer stores for headphones? Also generaly physical stores usualy put up old models for clearence (E.G. I got a pair of sennheiser momentums 1.0 on ear for over 70% off due to clearence for momentum 2.0 which I've heard isn't too different)

No one even sells those kinds of headphones here in Lithuania. You can only get sennheisers and ATH up to m50x here. I'd buy a NVX XPT100, but the fucking Amazon 35$ shipping is just too much, and you can't find anything even remotely similar here

I prefer closed headphones, btw.
>>
>>56422395
Neither of those are good options. Fill out and post a purchase advice form. We don't know what you actually want without giving us the info, man.

>>56422789
HD518, and swap the pads with 558/598 pads if you don't like them. I find they're a bit firm. They're decently warm and quite comfy.

or any of the older gen HD series really. HD 555 is good.

SHP 9500 if you want neutral. Has comfort issues in my opinion, but i've found others quite liked them. I think its due to my facial hair. I'm not sure if you can get replacement pads without modifying the headphones themselves.

Test in stores if you can.
>>
>>56422078
Those headphones use active circuitry to alter the response when the bluetooth is on. The circuitry doesn't work in passive mode although that would be possible had the designers made it so. It's just a baked EQ profile which is something more headphones could use imo. Bluetooth is hardly detrimental to perceived audio quality over short distances.

>>56422557
KRKs are powered, they just need a line level signal from another device and that's what the pre-outs in Jotunheim are for. You can use RCA(unbalanced) or XLR(balanced) outputs. As for the Hifiman, it will certainly be able to power them.
>>
>>56422557
Actually wondering the same, I'm about to buy some dynaudio bm15a monitors and was wondering if I could plug them on th Jotunheim.
>>
File: a2820509001_10.jpg (479KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a2820509001_10.jpg
479KB, 1200x1200px
>Budget
$100-$130 or so, don't mind used so if it's $180 and I can find it used in Amazon for $140~ it's fine

>Location
USA

>Source
Decent motherboard sound card (ASUS Z97-A)

Fully sized over ear

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Comfy is preferred, but sound quality is much more important. I'll be using them for hours without break but I'll manage.

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

Looking for the absolute best, planning on using them for years but I'm on a budget (and it doesn't look like it's getting any better soon).
>>
How safe is it to buy used on amazon?
>>
>>56423852
HD 558 if you want a slightly warm sound signature
not sure if you can fit 559 in your budget, but those are an option if you can
theyre both brilliant for all day use due to their comfort and slightly rolled off highs

>>56424015
i would assume so
hell, if you're worried, record yourself unboxing the package and check it once over for anything fukt on it.

as long as its doccumented, i'd assume amazon would guarantee your shit is right
>>
>>56422789
>>56423029
actually, scratch what i said about the 555
had a re-listen and there not quite as good as i last remembered, more veiled than the 518/558/598
>>
Got both my ER4XR and ER4SR.

Surprisingly, both sound very close, it's only on bassier music that you are able to distinguish the difference with the ER4XR having more body and impact to the sound. What's really nice is that the ER4XR's bass boost isn't muddy.

Both are 10/10 IEMs but I can't help but feel disappointed as I already own an ER-4PT (with ER-4S adapter). The ER-4S and ER4SR sound identical. The ER4XR and ER-4PT sound quite different, the ER-4PT has less treble and is less fatiguing but less accurate in the mids and highs.

My preference lies with the ER-4PT, maybe I'm just too accustomed to its signature. I find that the ER-4S / ER4SR / ER4XR can become a bit bright at times.

Sound comparison:

ER4SR = ER-4S
ER4XR = ER4SR with bass boost
ER-4PT = ER-4S with less upper midrange and treble

I should stop hoarding now.
>>
File: etys2.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
etys2.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>56424449
How is the build? Packaging and contents? Anything else worth nothing past the sound signature which is kind of obvious from the plots already.
>>
File: er4sr_inbox_450.jpg (48KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
er4sr_inbox_450.jpg
48KB, 450x450px
>>56424529
Build and fit is roughly the same as the old ER-4, I haven't detached the cable as yet. The new design is supposedly better for around the ear use but I haven't tried that as yet.

Packaging is like this image except each pair comes with a L+R frequency response certificate.

Gone are the old flange tips, I always used the smaller frosty tips so I can't comment on how the new larger flange tips compare to the older ones.

If you're familiar with the older ER-4 there is really nothing new to speak about, the new case is nicer and offers better protection.
>>
i wanna spend somewhere from 200 to 300 dollars

is it possible to make youtube playlists sound better this way just with the headphones alone and leaving the quality default? if so what pair would you recommend, guys
>>
can any of you recommend good shitty headphones? and what I mean is, I need to get a pair of headphones my mom can use to watch videos on her facebook; basically, comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time and relatively physically durable, sound quality doesn't really matter too much.
>>
>>56424951
there's a type called over ear headphones, and they encase the ears.

im sure you can find some for like 50 bucks or less on major internet retailers
>>
>>56424951
look at the superlux 662 EVO
they fit superlux'es bang for buck good sound for the budget type motif they've got going on
velour pads, so comfy, and removable cable so they won't fuckin rip out if it gets stuck under a chair wheel or something
>>
>>56425106

these look good, thanks
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 318x159px
Is it a bad idea that I bought this?
TEAC AI-101DA
Not many reviews out there......
>>
>>56425243
In summary they are a DAC,Headphone and Speaker Amp + allows choosing source on the fly including Bluetooth. Feature wise its awesome but i wonder if the sound is OK?
>>
>>56425414
is it bluetooth 4.0/4.1?
if so then it'll sound fine even with high end gear
>>
>>56425241
something to keep in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpffkWPY6Dk

they do have clamping force issues, but its remedied easily.
and don't put the 'cable clip' thing, as it kind of negates the whole removable cable.
>>
I've been having problems with my Modi ever since I reinstalled W10. Every time I plug it in the port fails and gives me a "Port Reset Failed" message. It worked before I did the clean install, and I've only had problems with it since.

Has anybody else had this problem and fixed it?
>>
Is the M40x the best closed headphone under $100?
>>
>>56425795
Yes.
No.
Maybe.
>>
>>56425795
If you change the pads, potentially.
The build quality on them is still pretty bad, and some don't like the headband.

In terms of sound quality, They're on par with some MDRs. If you can, try them out in store and compare with other headphones in the pricerange.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjTExsg_EsE
This review had me cracking up bad
>>
Why is wireless frowned upon?
>>
>>56426222
lower quality on earlier versions of bluetooth
money spent on things other than comfort/build quality/sound/whatever else
often over-estimated utility
>>
>>56426249
So current versions of Bluetooth are fine then?
>>
>>56426249
>often over-estimated utility
speak for yourself
>>
>>56426286

The vast majority of people that go out of the way to buy wireless are going to get very little to no additional utility out of wireless.

Wireless means 100% of the amplification and signal processing has to be done inside the headset. Power source included.

It's shit for basically 100% of applications that aren't an office telecom headset.
>>
>>56426336

You have preconceived notions that it is somehow bad.

Wireless can be done right. Example; LG tone headsets are super accurate.
>>
>>56426279
depends on the level of your expectations
if you are used to shit like LCD-X with expensive ass amps and dacs, you might be disappointed

otherwise, yes, its perfectly capable as long as you have a capable device

its just a question of money in the end

>>56426286
sorry that some people somehow think walking around without a cable is worth degrading in sound quality for the same price

>>56426336
basically, yeah
though i'd add exercise to that list since mobility is often key
>>
>>56426362

It has nothing to do with that.

Regardless of what you choose, you're compromising in some way. In the case of wireless, you're paying for a feature that has only one advantage (mobility within a limited radius). For the same money, a wired pair of headphones will sound better.

They'll be more versatile, you'll have more options for driving them, they won't be constrained by battery life, and you have far FAR more choices. It isn't that they can't be done right, it's that good implementations are few and far between and the value is objectively worse than a wired alternative.

In return for giving all that up, you're getting just the mobility, a feature that will be really utilized in a way that a cord wouldn't have done just as well almost never for most people.

That's why it's shit.
>>
>>56426467
>For the same money, a wired pair of headphones will sound better.
Perhaps you mean a different headphone, right?

Two identical headphones, a wired and a wireless version should not sound different if the latter was implemented properly.
>>
>>56426508
>if the latter was implemented properly.
Not the same poster but this functions only if the manufacturer doesn't act to maximize profits and put the cheapest amp and receiver that adhere's to standards in the wireless version . . . which everyone knows they are going to do.
>>
>>56426508

If you're talking the same pair of headphones, a wired version and a wireless version, and they are the same price either...

>The wireless version is shit.
>The wired pair is a ripoff.

Pick one, because economically it's guaranteed to be one or the other.
>>
>>56426336
And none of that is bad and none can be generalized to be worse than the whatever device it would be driving the headphones wired. And fuck, even in the case manufacturer is incompetent and somehow manages to audibly butcher the sound quality over a short range wireless transmission, people can still value the audibly worse sound quality with wireless headphones over a better sounding wired one.
>>
>>56426553
I'm quite fond of the QC35's as a wireless headset, perfect for my commute and casual home listening.
>>
File: 1472693729904.jpg (37KB, 348x342px)
1472693729904.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
Looking for new over ear headphones after my 900xs broke. I listen to all types of music. Recommendations?

> <$300 US
>US
>PC + amp
>over ear
>Open
>Long use 7-8 hours at a time
>Neutral perferred
>Audiotechnica ATH-AD900x
>>
>>56426553
Not like mobile phones have the best headphone outputs (capacitive coupling, varying output impedance, roll-offs). At least on the wireless headset you can control everything, the headphones won't be underpowered.
>>
>>56426675
30 dollars plus and you get the HD600.
>>
>>56426675
seems like HD600's are right in your budget
and if you frequent /hpg/ you should know how well loved they are here
>>
>>56426675

Sennheiser HD600
AKG K7XX (massdrop)

Would both be solid bets.
>>
>>56426721
k7xx aren't neutral
>>
>>56426612
That's nice but irrelevant to the current discussion comparing a wired to a wireless version as there isn't a wired version.
>>
>>56426700
>>56426702
>>56426721
Thanks anons, I can't believe I never considered the hd600s.
>>
>>56426683
>Not like mobile phones have the best headphone outputs
Actually, there are quite a few smartphones (Samsung since the S4, most iphones) that are quite good but that's a different discussion.
>>
>>56426755

They're supposed to have a little more bass on the bottom end than the K702's, and I personally found the K702 a little lean though with great soundstage and detail. I haven't heard the K7XX but based on that I feel like they'd be pretty neutral.
>>
>>56426762
just watch out if your source can't push HD600's
most phones can, but if youre just using mobo audio i'd be wary
>>
>>56426794

He already stated in his post he's using an amp. Basically any amp he's using will be enough to drive them.

>>56426762

What amp do you have anon? I'm sure unless it's a piece of shit it'll do great.
>>
>>56426777
You may be right but those are flagship phones.

>>56426792
K7XX is really warm in tone. Reminds me of HD518.
>>
>>56426794
>>56426821
oh yeah sorry i've not slept
can't read
>>
>>56426839

I honestly have a bias towards a slightly warm tone anyway so that makes perfect sense. In that case, the 702's are probably objectively a very neutral headphone.
>>
>>56426866
K702 isn't neutral though.

The frequency response is too wonky to be neutral.
>>
>>56426890

What do you consider a "neutral" headphone in that case?
>>
File: Jesica_Herenu17.jpg (563KB, 780x1170px)
Jesica_Herenu17.jpg
563KB, 780x1170px
Looking for ISOLATION headphones that are also good for playing music. Been looking at vic firths but Im dubious about the sound and build quality. Any recommendations? (Should be able to block instrument playing at higher volumes). Also if possible I would like them to look like takstar pro80/brainwavz that kind of look..

tl;dr need headphones for instrument playing and listening to music all in one
>>
>>56426920
HD600, MDR-V6, ER-4S.
>>
>>56426923
budget? HD280 Pro is the go to headphone for high isolation
>>
>>56426920
not him, but

HD598
HD600
Shure SRH 1540
MDR v6

>>56426923
submit a purchase advice request
you've given us no budget, and no context other than isolation and how they look
>>
>>56426967
>Shure SRH 1540
Nope.

Sure you didn't mean 1440/1840? Those are more neutral than the HD600 but their distortion seems worrying, never heard them myself. Diffuse field is measured from 200Hz to 10kHz IIRC, so indeed they are probably the most neutral headphones out there right now.
>>
>>56426890
> wonky
New meme? You HD600 shills are really desperate.
>>
>>56426951
>>56426967
Sorry, cant extend up to $300, but I would like cheaper alternatives also. I also don't care about audiophile tier sound stuff. I'm also currently using a Sennheiser PC15.
>>
>>56426967

I was thinking about getting a set of the alcantara pads from the 1540 for my headphones, do you know if they are as comfy as they look?
>>
>>56427002
K702's frequency response is quite shitty. It's obvious why it's the most hated of the big three. DT880 is a real acceptable alternative to the HD600. I'm no HD600 shill.

>>56427005
SHP9500.
>>
>>56417912
But headsets are nice
>>
mpv https://chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
>>
Trying this again.

>Budget
Unlimited
>Location
USA
>Source
O2/ODAC
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
C O M F Y
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral. This is a high priority.
>Past headphones
Too many, currently use HD600 and ER-4S.

Why are closed headphones such shit, here's a list of what I've tried:

MDR-7506 / MDR-V6: I liked the sound of these but can't deal with replacing pads every few months. Aftermarket pads change the sound too much. As much as I like the sound, there is an annoying 200Hz dip which gives it a cold tone and the comfort could be better.

DT250: Highs are too recessed for my tastes. Bass and mids are perfect. Found them comfortable.

DT770: Extremely uncomfortable, which is odd. Sub-bass and treble was too elevated. I planned to buy this and EQ it to flat because of its supposedly great comfort but I found it uncomfortable.

ATH-M50x: Uncomfortable, sounds too boosted in the bass and treble.

Oppo PM-3: Uncomfortable. Was this shit made for ants? Too much bass. Disappointed for all the rave reviews it got.

ATH-MSR7: Bright and tinny. Comfort was alright.

K550: No bass, seems like it has issues sealing on the head.
>>
>>56417263
Glad you found it interesting, but you see the real part of the complex term, not the modulus.

>>56426996
ISO 11904 provides reference third-octave data for diffuse field transfer response up to
>11904-1: Mean human ear
16 kHz
>11904-2: Mannequin target
10kHz

Below 100 Hz, transfer function is unity(0 dB).
>>
File: IMG_20160902_204737.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160902_204737.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>56427472

Get some Fostex T50RP and mod them. They're not super neutral stock, but you can make these very neutral if that's you're thing.

They're "semi-open" but you can make them fully closed via modding too, or just buy the T20RP version which is identical but has all ports covered.
>>
>>56427472
EQ the most comfortable one.
>>
>>56427046
> K702's frequency response is quite shitty
Nah, refer to Rin Choi measurements.

> Accurately matched drivers; this is the best I've seen from any dynamic(moving-coil) headphones.

>The response above 5 kHz may completely be equalized depending on how the headphone is placed on the pinna. The effect is even greater than that of Sennheiser HD650, which is already well known for its high amplitude deviation in the treble.

> Surprisingly, even under a good amount of acoustic leak, the sub-bass is still well-sustained. This indicates that K702's diaphragm mass is much lower compared to those of other dynamic headphones.

> With a small boost in the bass & at 4 kHz, K702 will accurately follow Dr. Olive's reference target.
>>
>>56427511
I've been considering trying the T40RP MK3.

>>56427534
The DT250 which I found the comfiest had channel balance issues which were easily audible. I had the 250 ohm edition.

I also tried XPT100 which I didn't like for its bassy sound.

I'm hoping there's more obscure models out there to try.
>>
>>56427537
And yet it was perceived as sounding thin by a panel of listeners from the parent company.
>>
>>56427589

>T40RP MK3

I think it would be a good choice. Stock comfort isn't amazing, I won't lie. Mine are completely stock right now, but the first thing I'm going to do is put new pads in it. Then I'm going to look into damping options etc.

Even with some minor flaws, I'm really enjoying them. Especially with the synthwave kick I'm on right now.
>>
>>56427620
I don't value opinions from people that don't even want to spend 2 minutes of their life to set their gear properly
>>
>>56427472
See >>56418145
>>
>>56427694
Can't change the fact that it has inconsistent sealing on the head.

Not to mention the wonky diffuse field equalization which is too strong at 2kHz and too weak at 4kHz.

There's also a treble peak at 7kHz.

And then there's the muddy bass bleed that goes into the lower midrange.

K702 are weeaboo headphones, that's why they're still relevant on here.
>>
>>56427736
>And then there's the muddy bass bleed that goes into the lower midrange.
I can let it go on everything else you said, but this is just false. Have you ever heard to the K702? They have a really tight bass.
>>
turns out I can afford Focal Utopias

should I?
>>
>>56427809
K702's bass is only tight if it didn't seal properly. I mean just look at Rin Choi's graphs, does that look tight?
>>
>>56427472
I'm in nearly the exact same position as you, my solution is to wait for senn hd 569
>>
>>56427834
It does.
>>
File: dfsp.png (2MB, 1000x1000px)
dfsp.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>56427815
>turns out I can afford Focal Utopias
>should I?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf
>>
>>56427976
Upvoted.
>>
>>56420719
K701 > DT990
K701 = DT880
>>
>>56426675
What happened to the AD900X? Also, did you liked the sound? That could be the difference between suggesting you a DT880 for more bass, a K702 for more positional accuracy and HD600 for for more neutrality.
>>
>>56420719
Get the DT880. AKG is weeaboo tier.
>>
>>56427815
Try it out. See if you like the comfort, maybe with the Elear pads even.

>>56427537
>follow Dr. Olive's reference target
That wasn't the reference target. In a shootout between several target curves, a steady downward sloped response was most preferred of the ones presented.
A more direct inquiry into a the target was made with later, using a pair of shelf filters.
>>
>>56428337
If AD900/700 are what passes in terms of a mid-priced dynamic, then holy hell, why haven't you all moved to stax?

The DT880/K701/HD600 have to be WAY, LEAGUES better than the 900 to justify any discussion or ownership. That's how I see it, having dumped my AD900 on a family member and moved to stax.

Ken Rockwell flatters but he did nothing wrong with his stax reviews.
>>
>>56428438
STAX are overrated, they are considered good because of their cult status.

It's cool if you enjoy their unique sound signature but I don't.
>>
>>56428478
>overrated

By who? Stax doesn't shill on head-fi or innerfagelity. Discussion about lambdas is pretty much non existent compared to dynamics, and Tyll can't even be fucked to review the new range.

>unique sound signature

You listened to 00's scratchy j-pop for a minute during a meet and the treble wasn't screwed down enough to your liking.
>>
>>56428575
STAX cult faggots think they're the best thing ever.

The stock sound signature is bad. STAX even had a diffuse field equalizer for the older units to make them neutral.

It doesn't matter if it's dynamic, planar or estat, the end result of the product is what matters.
>>
>>56428627
>diffuse field
>neutral
>>
>>56428655
Diffuse Field is the most accurate target curve right now.

The same thing applies to STAX on the OW curve and Harman curve.
>>
Looking for simple earphones with good sound quality under $50. Help a retard out.
>>
>>56426612
Have you actually compared them to any similarly priced wired headphones or is that just ignorance/post purchase rationalization at work?
>>
>>56428627
>the drivers are equal, poor performance of dynamics can be blamed on their environment/enclosure.

meanwhile >>56428268

4K dollarydoos for Tyll's favorite set, serious imbalance problem attributable to bad QC, or worse, position dependence. Distortion good but a few wiggles

$150 beater stat phone with a headband that breaks. measures like the lies sung of a FOTM multi-kilobuck chink headphone
>>
>>56417928
My Pioneer Monitor 10 IIs are pretty decent for it
>>
>>56420879
answer this
>>
>>56428897
>4K dollarydoos for Tyll's favorite set, serious imbalance problem attributable to bad QC, or worse, position dependence.
his averaged measurements shit the bed in terms of channel matching when the seal is poor.
here's a measurement with different pads, giving a better seal:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopiawithElearPads.pdf

it's clearly not a QC issue.
>>
>Budget
Looking at around 200$

>Location
Phoenix, AZ

>Source
Android Device

Earbuds

>Open or closed
its earbuds, so, whatever gives good quality

>Comfort level
Good

>Preferred tonal balance
v-shaped, but whatever will give me good quality, i lean more towards bass

>Past headphones
Simple Apple Earbuds and the occasional 5-10 dollar shit ones.
>>
>>56427976
is that roger waters in there?
>>
>>56429581
Should note that I need to get earbuds from a store, I will be moving in a few days to my new college and need to get these ASAP! Thanks.

Stores near by can be found by my ZIP: 85027

Some I can list off the top of my head:
Fry's Electronics
>>
>>56429646

I don't know about earbuds because they're shit, but Guitar Center usually has a selection of pretty decent headphones.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-880-Premium-250-ohm/dp/B01JM6K80Y

Holy fuck I want this.
>>
>>56429857

Buy 'em.
>>
>>56429863
I already own two DT880s.
>>
>>56429884

Don't buy them.

What's wrong with you?
>>
>>56429857
Damn, that looks nice!
Shame i already have the regular one.
>>
>$50 max
>Massachusetts
>My pc
>full-sized
>closed
>Would prefer headset that wouldn't hurt ears after a few hours
>bassy
>Sennheiser PC 31-II Headset
>>
>>56429943
welp fucked up the template lol
>>
I like my ATH-M50x cans, but more and more I've been using my in-ear earbuds (VJJB V1S).
>>
>>56429485
Focal has a seal/position imbalance to 2 kHz and it's Tyll's fault but when stax has a sub bass rolloff when he slaps it on his mannequin, /hpg/ has a conniption.

I see how it is!
>>
Is the m50x comfortable?
>>
Where can I get some sweet deals on headphones? Should I wait until black friday?
>>
>>56429581
bumping this
>>
>>56429581
MA750
>>
Need some help. I was gifted a pair of beats for my birthday yesterday. My question is, how much prison time should I look forward to after I kill the faggot who bought them?
>>
>>56430194
what kind of beats

because imo, beats tour2 arent actually that bad, especially since you got them for free. you wont be able to resell them for a good amount even if new
>>
how good are the original Modi and Magni?

I may be able to get them used for half the price of the version 2s.

Currently have HD600s, but may sell them for powered monitors, in that case I may sell the Magni and get the SYS pre amp while keeping the Modi
>>
One side of my QC15s just died. Should i spend AUD$180 repairing them, or buy the Sennheiser HD558 for ~$150?
>>
>>56430228
They were beats studio wireless. I already took them back to best buy and traded them in for credit. Still deciding on what I should get since I'm still new to headphones, but the beats I've owned in the past were all shit. Yes, I fell for the meme.
>>
http://www.frys.com/product/8539739?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm debating on getting these, should I or stop now?
>>
I tried a pair of DT880s a few years ago and really liked them, but they were out my budget at the time. Now that the headphones I have been using broke and I have a bit more money, I'm thinking of getting a pair. What's the best version? 250 ohm? Does pro/premium matter beyond looks?
>>
File: 1472862862479.gif (2MB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
1472862862479.gif
2MB, 280x211px
Another shit OP, well done faggot
>>
>>56430064
No. They don't sound great either. Comfort can be improved with different pads.
>>
What happened to the pastebin headphone pricerange guide? I'm looking to maybe get a pair of headphones on eBay for around $30-40, if I can.

I currently have Grado SR80i and Xiaomi Piston 3s, but would like a set of cans that's a bit more comfortable. Not expecting to find anything at such a low price any time soon. Just looking to keep an eye out on things. (Managed to snag a Blue Snowball for $30 and almost had a Yeti for $35, but it was sniped at the last second)
>>
>>56430093
help me please i need some dank prices
>>
i'm getting a light buzing tapping sound in my left ear. i've tested multiple headphones. i hook them into my speakers which are connected directly to the MB audio. it stops sometimes but i'm not sure why. what can i do to get rid of this?
>>
>>56428339
What does AKG have to do with weeaboos?
>>
I'm deciding between the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser HD598. I'm gonna mostly listen to hard punk music (Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat) and rap (Kanye, Kendrick, Nujabes, and those fresh Korean rappers). What would work best for the kind of stuff I'm listening to? I'd rather not get an amp if I don't have to
>>
File: 1472801927683.jpg (97KB, 941x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472801927683.jpg
97KB, 941x720px
What headphones do I need to buy in order to be able to hear the difference between mp3 and flac?
>>
>>56432614
Headphones that only play 20kHz onwards.
>>
>>56432167
Alright so I'm gonna go for the m50x cause u can fold it up and shit. Can I expect the price to go lower than 139.95$? (https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1473051877&sr=1-1&keywords=m50x)
>>
>>56432614
you need to buy a $10k DAC so you can delude yourself into thinking there's an audible difference through post purchase rationalization
>>
>>56432614
Doesn't work like that. You need nothing great for codec listening as the ability to spot compression artifacts is a learned trait more than anything. In the case this "mp3" is a proper encode, say V0 with the new LAME encoders, you won't. Headphones' lack of fidelity is in a different domain to what perceptual coding in lossy encoders affect. They fail at replicating the original signal but in a very different way. In some cases a bad headphone could emphasize the artifacts and a very good headphone with great linearity and full bandwidth could mask them.

>>56432644
That is irrelevant for multiple reasons.
>>
>>56432614
If you ever read someone writing their musings of MP3 vs FLAC, you know they don't like their sound system whether they are conscious of it or not.

People who truly enjoy their setup are happy to listen to youtube encodes.
>>
File: download (7).jpg (9KB, 172x292px) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
9KB, 172x292px
>>56419979
i got a pair of wireless headphones
it got an aux port in it
and sound quality is noticeably better on non bluetooth mode
but if you listen to music every second you are awake
even the aux ports wear out and break, built in wires are the worst.
wireless headphones are more durable due to less moving parts
so get ones with an aux port just in case you want better sound quality
>>
>>56433345
>more durable due to less moving parts
Ignoring the fact that wired headphones generally don't have batteries, DACs, amps, signal receivers and any wiring between them to break?
>>
File: mon-128939-00.jpg (17KB, 340x236px) Image search: [Google]
mon-128939-00.jpg
17KB, 340x236px
>>56426336
>>56426467
>>56426553
>>56426580
srsly?
am i the only one in this thread that listens to music everyday?
wired headphones are shit
built in cables only last a few months for me, because im one of those people who like to listen to music all the time and the cables get damaged from simply being in my pocket.
even headphones with aux ports are shit i gotta spend money for expensive cables once every so often otherwise the cables last only a few weeks,
then the ports start to get all shitty until they break
i cant believe people in this thread recommend headphones with built in cables, that kind of shit is disposable unless you frankenstein an auxiliary port in there once the cable gets busted
am i the only one in this thread who has a ton of busted wired headphones?
seems to me that bluetooth with the occassional aux port is the way to go for real audiophiles
unless yall niggas have the money to spend on a new pair everytime they break
>>
File: 1473031078514.jpg (44KB, 600x600px)
1473031078514.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
>tfw looking into wireless, water-proof iems
Could anybody recommend me a pair that's not too expensive (~$150)?

I hope my request isn't too frowned upon here.
Ever since I found out they exist and that you could shower with them in, I've been really interested in owning a pair.
>>
>>56425795
personally I like the v6 better but the m40x is more neutral.
>>
>>56433594
>only last a few months for me, because im one of those people who like to listen to music all the time
>for me
Well there's your problem.
And yes, there are some who listen to music all the time. Sometimes for a dozen hours straight (international flights).

Don't assume your experience is determinate or even objective.
>>
>>56433594
The problem is that you are a dog and you can't treat the things you own with a level of care commensurate to a human being.
>>
>>56433634
>>56433639
hey i cant be the only one in this thread right?
i mean cmon, whenever a pair of headphones is busted its always on the wire near auxiliary jack
everytime i use a friends headphones i gotta bend the cable till i get both speakers working
you guys probably broke a pair the same way yourselves
>>
>>56433695
There are people with original 1995 ER-4, still using them a couple of times a week.
>>
>>56433615
I'm interested in them too. Sadly I have no idea how they perform. I don't even have a budget.
>>
>>56433695
>hey i cant be the only one in this thread right?
You are asking if you cannot be the only in this thread who trashes headphones due to clumsy/uncaring attitude? Yeah, you probably aren't alone because there are plenty of people who are only willing to spend $20-50 on headphones.

>whenever a pair of headphones is busted its always on the wire near auxiliary jack
You never had a headband or hinge break on you? We used to have this one guy who lurked just to post broken Sennheiser headphones like that. Not that I ever paid attention since my HD650s are going on for nine years with the same cables.
>>
>>56433594
Stop treating them like shit, and/or get better ones with detachable cables
>>
File: side-shot.jpg (315KB, 1115x633px) Image search: [Google]
side-shot.jpg
315KB, 1115x633px
Should I be concerned when tweaking anything 3db and up in the EQ causes static and distortion?

Did I buy a piece of shit?
>>
>>56433955
you are probably clipping by neglecting to offset it in the preamp
>>
>>56433969
Explain to me like I'm a 5 year old.

I'm using Musicbee and a Fiio E10k.
>>
>>56434006
You are boosting it from 0 dB to 3 dB and causing it to clip. Set the preamp control to -3 dB and then set your 3 dB EQ so you avoid clipping.

If you are using a slider EQ, best of luck to ye.
>>
>>56417912
I just got these and have nothing to listen to

What do?
>>
File: doot.jpg (163KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
doot.jpg
163KB, 1024x1024px
ayo
looking for some headphones for movies and transport.
i just want some closed, durable, comfy headphones, with solid bass.

>Budget
~$60 AUD, don't want to go much further, since im gonna be chucking these in my bag and shit for the public transport ride to/from Uni

>Location
Australia [only buying from sites that support paypal, no in store shit]

>Source
SMSL M3, Xperia Z3 compact, Ipod touch gen 4

Over ear. Not on ear. Fuck on ears.

>Open or closed
CLOSEDDDD, preff a decent seal with limited bleed

>Comfort level
Moderate to High

>Preferred tonal balance
BASSY

>Past headphones
Still have all these, so not really 'past'. Currently using my 598 the most due to the comfort.
Superlux HD 668B [akg pads], Senn HD 598/518/600/438, bunch of assorted $15-$25 IEMs

Also had heavy use of m40x/m50x/m70x, pretty much every AKG under the sun, and a bunch of lower tier Senny's

Currently looking at Hyper X Cloud core [Cheaper than the Pro 80's atm]
Don't really care if I look like a dork, ill prolly just tape over the logos. I won't be using the mic anway.
>>
File: 90283721.png (1MB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
90283721.png
1MB, 667x1000px
how can i learn to pickup the difference and nuance between the highs lows trebble bass and shit, most high end headphones I've demoed starts to sound the same to me
>>
>>56434103
return them and get m40x's, or get Takstar Pro 80's for half the price, better comfort and extremely similar sound to the m50x's

m50x's have muddy bass, shit earpads, and poor build quality
the m40x's at least have decent sound
>>
File: Gothic Loli prop.png (58KB, 1126x104px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic Loli prop.png
58KB, 1126x104px
>>56434132
Stop listening to this type of music when looking for "nuance".
>>
>>56434156
You read my mind about these shit earcups, I'll look into it.
>>
>>56434217
you can replace the earpads pretty easily, but really, if you still have the opportunity to return, do research into any alternatives. many people i know who have been recommended these headphones ends up being pretty dissatisfied in the end.
>>
>>56434103
You gotta start somewhere. For me it was downloading the entire muse album collection.
>>
>>56433955
You should learn how to EQ. Headphones don't act like that. Post a picture of your EQ settings or download a proper equalizer like EQ APO.

>>56434183
That doesn't tell anything of importance here. Overall that song is loudly mastered but a simple waveform doesn't touch the spectrum at all which is what shows you how frequencies are laid out. Besides, a loud master doesn't make it any harder to spot these things.

>>56434132
Listen to a lot stuff and there's no need to classify frequencies in the three "categories" people usually do e.g. bass, mids and treble. Better yet, download Harman's how to listen program(it's free, Google) and train your listening skills. It's actually quite perfect for what you are asking.
>>
File: 99-product-frequency-small.png (16KB, 850x450px) Image search: [Google]
99-product-frequency-small.png
16KB, 850x450px
>>56433955
I would buy the Meze 99 Classic just based on their look. It's really too bad that they don't measure as well as Meze reports.
>>
>>56433619
Completely disagree. I didn't try the V6, but the M40x aren't neutral at all.
>>
>>56430337
I've got the original Modi that I run as a DAC for my speaker setup. Funnily enough I was ABing with my onboard setup as well as my recent purchase of FX Audio x6 DAC+Headphone Amp combo that I hooked upto my speakers.

Anyway, in summary my onboard was warm and did not have the seperation of the other two dedicated dacs as well as less clarity.

Schiit Modi - Did not feel like my speakers were right in front rather a bit more to the side. Soundstage was a little wider I think. Not as warm sounding as the other two. Pretty clean and crisp but maybe not as exciting as other options.

I cant be fucked typing anymore but the FX Audio X6 Dac that is included is pretty in between in characteristics, pretty clean and decent seperation and detailed as well. Also doubles as a headphone amp so thats pretty cool.

I guess you cant go wrong with the Schiit esp at half the price my friend.
>>
>>56423653
They're active monitors. So yes, you can use the pre-outs.
>>
>>56430949
80ohms, 250ohms and 600ohms are all good, they are sold in different impedances so that the engineers can get whatever version better matches their setup.
People tend not to like the 32ohms though, so there's that.
The Premium only has a slightly different design and less clamp, but you can just strech the headband on the pros a bit (it's a metal headband) and get the same result.
With all that said, Amazon currently has the all Black premium version for sale, which looks awesome imho, so if that fits your taste and your bill, go for it.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_173253.jpg (401KB, 1858x1917px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_173253.jpg
401KB, 1858x1917px
>>56420719
>>56430949
I don't recommend anyone buy a beyerdynamic headphones. I bought DT 880 PRO 10 months ago and now the right driver not working. I send them for warranty repair and they say that this vulnerability is not covered by warranty due to excessive current flow (they were connected directly to my laptop without amp). This is the worst purchase I ever made!
>>
>>56430047
Both of those cases just look like Tyll not being able to get a proper seal on the dummy head. It's usually obvious when that happens.
>>
>>56436047
Weird, this is usually what chinks pull not germans.

Did you ask them to clarify what they mean by "excessive current flow" and what evidence they have that points to that?

When companies pull this shit and you're 100% sure you're not in the wrong argue with them over it sometimes they will just give in and sort it for you.
>>
>>56436047
jeez that sucks, if you were in a non shit hole country and bought it locally i would say get consumer law authorities involved
>>
>>56436093
this, you can't let them win like that
>>
File: mio-akiyama-k701.jpg (224KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
mio-akiyama-k701.jpg
224KB, 600x800px
>>56417928
>K701
Just use those headphones which are also in weeb shit. Definitely not bought these because I liked K-On so much.. however these are really good headphones for an affordable price.
>>
>>56434103
just listen to the chiru.no-webradio which presents you best FLAC-music :^)
>>
File: reply.png (43KB, 553x313px)
reply.png
43KB, 553x313px
>>56436093
<last reply from service (4 days ago, sorry for google translate)<
I'm totally sure that's not my fault. They don't send me this "photografic documentation".

>>56436096
Unfortunately I live in shit hole country.
>>
>>56436331
That's a shame, but it does sound like it wasn't a faulty driver from their description, would cost much to repair them? They are good sounding headphones overall, so i'm just wondering if it's worth for you to keep them instead ir getting a different Brand.
>>
>>56435973
Figured it already with the answer just above me.
Still, thank you.
>>
>>56432691
anyone?
>>
File: music lyrics before and after.png (177KB, 874x672px) Image search: [Google]
music lyrics before and after.png
177KB, 874x672px
>arguing about whether headphones are neutral when you listen to non-neutral music

kek. i bet you also think modern mastering is how recordings sound
>>
>>56436959
>What happened
Less acid.
>neutral music
Music was never meant to be neutral, neutral reproduction serves the exact purpose of better showing dynamics between instruments in tracks.
>Mordern mastering being how recordings sound
The master track (recent or not) is how mastering should sound, the recording usually doesn't sound like the mixed version either, that's why the song is mixed and mastered after recording, to make it sound closer to what the artist and/or the engineer wants and also better in general from whatever source you have. It's always relevant to say that some artists come much closer to the final result sound straight from recording (Queen is a good exemple of this), in which case mixing might be done in a more creative way instead of correcting stuff and mastering just to better normalize tracks and the album's general volume.

I know this is bait, but i often see Anons arguing over production so i thought this would be a good excuse to clarify some basic things about it for those interested.
>>
File: 1401792747274.jpg (55KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
1401792747274.jpg
55KB, 250x350px
Does the Schiit Modi 2 (non-uber) have a lot of USB noise which distorts the audio?

or are the head-fi faggots memeing again?
>>
>>56437683
Every amp/dac more expensive than Fiio E10K is meme by definition, there's no need to worry about super amps like Schiit or O2.
>>
>>56436959
Music is not and can't be "neutral" in any way. The idea behind neutral signal chain from the production to your listening is exactly that: preserving the music with all its colorations and nuances and replicating it as it was "meant to be" when it was produced. A colored piece of gear acts as an arbitrary signal processor and equalizer, distorting the music in some or multiple ways and doing that same alteration to each and every song. With luck that coloration could fit a song or two but then ruin hundreds of others. To me it makes absolutely no sense to invest into a gear like that.

>>56437683
>Does the Schiit Modi 2 (non-uber) have a lot of USB noise which distorts the audio?
No unless it's broken or the signal through USB is very noisy to begin with. And that would affect both normal and Uber versions when using USB input. It's a very high quality stereo DAC. Limited in features but for what it does, it does it very well. I find it hilarious when people still dabble with solved problems in audio reproduction such as basic DA-conversion.
>>
>>56437336
Headphones are voiced for the music of its time (which is influenced by its production and mastering)

Of course a pair from the 90's will have different results on modern music and a modern headphone will have different results on earlier music.

Arguing about what's neutral needs to take the music into account, because being neutral for Queen is different from being neutral for Kayne West.
>>
>>56437792
>Every amp/dac more expensive than Fiio E10K is meme by definition
What a dumb thing to say.
>>
>>56438250
Prove me wrong. Fiio E10K can basically dirve any headphone, besides electrostatic and super high-end ones.
>>
>>56438282
It can drive many "high end" headphones just fine as product's category on the market has no relation to the power requirements or sound for that matter.

It lacks power to drive some of the least sensitive headphones on the market, especially so if you use EQ or if the audio content has a large dynamic range.

Aside from lack of power, it's also barebones in terms of features, audibly noisy with very sensitive in-ears, shoddy in terms of construction etc. I can think of many reasons why people would want to invest into something better, even if the E10K could power the headphones easily already.

Now stop using the word meme to describe something.
>>
>>56438248
>Headphones are voiced for the music of its time (which is influenced by its production and mastering)
Citation on that? A headphone might have it's signature changed over certain trends (see the bass craze of the late 90's) or in the best case scenario target curves that came from actual research, it doesn't have to do with how music is mastered, if anything the mastering is what changes based on the equip the audience might have, see the radio, car stereos, computer speakers and the loudness war for exemple.
>>
File: cops.png (257KB, 1315x835px) Image search: [Google]
cops.png
257KB, 1315x835px
I'm looking or a new pair of IEMs. I had some soundmagic e10s, but eventually they broke. I notice you can buy brand new Shure SE215s on ebay for $60. I like neutral sounding headphones. Anything else clearly better than these at a similar price?

pic unrelated
>>
>>56429608
This, I want to know
>>
>>56428268
only if you like squeaks
>>
>>56439481
With the V6, yes.
>>
How are the headphone deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday? Looking to get some decent headphones and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting
>>
I am looking for somewhat bassy IEM. Should I settle with Soundmagic E10, cough up a bit more for ATH-IM50, or find something inbetween? Good isolation is a plus.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_174837.jpg (845KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_174837.jpg
845KB, 2560x1920px
>>56436492
Repair cost 60usd (226zł) for one driver. It's not worth for me because I don't believe my onboard sound card damaged the driver (it's probably just a wire connecion problem inside the cup). By the way! I read 1, 2 stars reviews on amazon and a lot of people has similar problems with them.
>>
>>56434792
They really are trash headphones. There is almost no bass and the treble is raised to where it hurts slightly. Try to eq the bass out a bit and it becomes muddy.
>>
>>56440716

I don't understand how there are so many glowing reviews for them in this case.

They can't really all be shills, can they?
>>
>>56440110
Honestly you should just get the repair done, think of it as 60 dollars to get these headphones again, sucks I know but beats any alternatives

You also have the option to sell them after you repair em
>>
>>56440110

If you think it's just an internal wiring problem you could attempt to fix them yourself.
>>
>>56440869
I think they probably all are. It makes no sense that they know they are getting less than what they pay for but give out glowing reviews anyway.

Maybe that jew meze gave them out free as a paid promotion.
>>
>>56440869
reviewers don't know how to assess the sound quality even if they aren't shilling
>>
>Budget
~100€

>Location
Netherlands

>Source
Laptop and phone

Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
I do prefer comfy headphones, or atleast ones don't hurt my ears after wearing them for a long time.

>Preferred tonal balance
Don't really care but if it has a nice bass that would be nice.

>Past headphones
Generic cheap headphones
>>
Fuck this OP, what does /hg/ think of the Klipsch Reference IEMs?
>>
>>56417912
should i get the Wireless headset XT+?
>>
>>56432691
>>56436626
Sure, if you look on eBay.
>>
>>56427472
wait for Sony MDR-Z1R
>>
>>56441527
I wanna use amazon gc credit tho. I'm considering just waiting until black friday or whatever
>>
>>56441076
how do they define 'trained'?
like, as in audio engineers and shit?
or are there people actually trained to listen to differences in audio gear lol
>>
Hey guys, I'm stuck between three choices. I'd really appreciate some feedback on the best purchase from people who have used these before, or have heard from others. I'm mostly going to be using these for movies, tv shows, and gaming. Some music on the side, but mostly the aforementioned.

Choices are:

AKG 2015 M220
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-M220-Professional-Definition-Headphones/dp/B0155DGHUI/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1465862288&sr=1-8&keywords=AKG

AKG K 240 MK II
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1473104768&sr=1-2&keywords=akg+k+240+mkii

AKG K 240
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Stereo-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1473104768&sr=1-1&keywords=akg+k+240+mkii

These will be my first pair of quality headphones. I'm also open to any other suggestions for the same price range. Thanks!
>>
I just now figured out that I can use SoX to generate sine waves. Now how do I use these to figure out how to equalize headphones?
>>
>>56441800
>how do they define 'trained'?
I believe the correct term is "indoctrinated." It isn't difficult to "train" listeners to specifically seek reproduction targets like cymbal crashes for products that boast treble or bass drum beats for products that boast bass.
>>
>>56441800
Google Harman's "How to listen" and download the software if you are interested. It's the tool they used to train people. Also Google "A Method For Training Listeners and Selecting Program For Listening Tests" which will lead you to Sean Olive's blog about the subject. Can't be arsed to type here right now but Sean Olive talks about the trained listeners in these of some amount at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTSHjGlNak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7Am233rkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQV5OR71e4
>>
Hi hpg, I recently got a rec on some headphones lately from you guys and they are great except for one thing which has been a problem with previous headphones too. That is the cord. Can anybody help me out with a really durable cord with the normal headphone jack on either side? I don't want to spend $50+ on a single cord and I was hoping for that price I can still get something that will last many years.
>>
>>56442296
what headphones are they?
just look for cheap braided cables on eBay or Ali
unless you've got high-end gear you won't tell the difference in cables really [unless jus its just a trash cable in general]
>>
>Budget
€150
>Location
Belgium
>Source
PC, occassionally android phone
Full sized, over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy is good.
>Preferred tonal balance
Uh, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough. I listen to rock, metal, dubstep, soundtracks, etc. Neutral? I do like it loud.
>Past headphones
Nothing special, Sennheiser HD 201 Pretty comfy.

I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not very demanding. Thx!
>>
>>56442066
Determine desired target transfer curve, generate magnitude inverse filter to convolve the headphone response with.

In less jargon laden language

-Use the sine sweep to find objectionable peaks and dips.
-Use an parametric EQ to generate filters to counteract these dips and peaks.
Make adjustments according to taste, you are doing this for yourself. Be careful to lower digital gain/pre-amp (distinct from usual digital volume controls) to avoid digital overload.

>>56442278
No diffuse sound field is involved with that measurement.

>>56441800
>how do they define 'trained'?
The listeners pass a series of competency trials: being able to recognize features of sound and identify them. The software is freely available for those interested in reviewing or their own pursuits.

The documentation of the study.
>Sean E. Olive, "Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained Versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study," J. AES, Vol. 51, issue 9, pp. 806-825, September 2003
>>
>>56442368
>high-end gear
No, they're MSR-7s.
>braided cables
Ok thanks bud.
>>
>>56442923
best way to find what you need would be to just search 'braided 3.5 to 3.5' on aliexpress
though a lot of RCA type shit may come up

shit like this
even if it does break eventually, its only two bucks

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2r/1773611_32685697001.html

dunno what lengths you want tho

might wanna look on ebay if you want faster shipping, but it would likely be more expensive [even without shipping]
>>
Is $179 for dt880 600 ohm new worth it?
>>
>>56443586
yes
>>
have HD650s and Xonar STX.
just plugged it in and it's not loud enough.
i'm just not sure how it plugs in, i know it's a stupid question.
i buy an amp and not a dac right?
>>
>>56443071
Ali doesn't seem to have paypal so I ordered one on ebay for ~$6. Thanks for the help and saving me lots of shekels.
>>
>>56442368
You can't tell a difference in cables regardless of your gear unless it's an oscilloscope or the cables are made poorly.
>>
>>56443726
really? are you plugging it in the back 1/4 jack? it has an actual headphone amp
something must be very wrong with your setup otherwise
>>
>>56443828
i wouldn't say that i can't hear it but perhaps i'm just pushing it in how loud i want it.
some of the shit i'm listening to are vinyl rips and they generally have lower audio to begin with.
100% volume sounds good but perhaps i want that wiggle room to have 10% louder when i'm into it.
>>
>>56443850
Under alsamixer (and Windows if you use it I suppose), there is a setting for the headphone out.
32 ohms, 32-64 ohms, 64-300 ohms
select the last one
>>
File: 1366082742393.gif (1024KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
1366082742393.gif
1024KB, 500x220px
>>56443893
ok thanks that helped, around 40% sounds as 100% did before.
>>
>>56442368
A working cable does not have any audible traits.

>>56443822
You'd be hard pressed to notice absolutely anything in a cable using a scope.

Excluding conditions here where the cable is simply broken, intentionally made to have large resistance or picking up interference.
>>
Best IEM for ~<$25 ?
>>
>>56417912
I've got superlux HD 681's berate me please
>>
File: 20160831_004330.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px)
20160831_004330.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Tried to remove a comply foam tip from my pinnacle p1s and the nozzle came out. RIP you glorious bastard.
>>
>>56445043
warranty?
>>
>>56445071
Already sent it out last week. MEE Audio is closed today so it wont be delivered to them until tomorrow. After that the replacement earpiece should be back to me by Friday hopefully. I can't wait to have it back so that I can block out my neighbor playing his shitty music at max volume with a subwoofer. Give me strength, anon.
>>
>Budget
Less than 200$
>Location
US
>Source
Computer and LG G4
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Warm and cozy
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Nothing noteworthy, mainly earpods and cheaper stuff.
I was thinking about the 250 ohm DT770', there is a combo on ebay with an M Audio amp for 170, is that pretty decent or should I buy them separately
>>
>>56444511
668B's are better imo, but either way, the 681 certainly isnt' bad for the money.
>>
>>56441841

I can't say anything about the other two, but I've listened the the K240 and for the money they're pretty good.

The sound can benefit from adding better pads, but they are light and comfy and good for most music. Mids are a little veiled, trebles are good but without "sparkle", bass isn't super heavy, but solid all around. The MkII might be the way to go if they improve on any of those things and you can't stretch on price.

They're also pretty efficient so you should do ok without amplification, though an amp will improve almost any headphone.
>>
What are some acceptable headphones that I can wear in public without looking like a massive beta virgin manchild weeaboo?

I'm really close from buying a Solo2, it also measures well on InnerFidelity with a smooth frequency response, though it looks quite bassy.
>>
>>56433695
>>56433594
I listen to music every day which is why I buy wired headphones because wireless ones sound like shit. even when you eliminate the loss of quality from the transmission the reality is that the vast majority of wireless headphones have shit response, especially for the price. if you don't want your wires to fail treat your headphones better, learn to solder, and buy headphones with removable cables which is most good headphones these days. cables are cheap as shit, and I guarantee I own more headphones than you, the ones that have failed because of wiring can be fixed but I don't do it because they were my cheapest pairs. what wireless headphone do you use? I bet it's shit.
>>
>>56426942
>>56426967
none of those are fucking neutral. all "neutral" headphones have deviations that can place them into non-neutral signatures, this is even after you accept subjective targets. the v6 in particular is far from neutral, I own one and love it, but people who say it's neutral either have no experience or they "listen" to cherrypicked graphs.
>>
Would /hpg/ recommend Bose QuietComfort 20 Earbuds?
>>
>>56446426
They are close to neutral. Fuck off.
>>
>>56447068
so? there is no rule for how much you can deviate and where as to what is "neutral" or not. many planars are within like 2db of neutral all the way into the mids yet no one calls them neutral. many "neutral" headphones have noticeable bass roll off but people call then neutral. neutral outside of broad generalizations is a useless way to describe a headphone. fuck off and stop putting your purchases on a pedestal just because you were told to (hd600 owners).
>>
Someone wanna lay out the basic differences between open and closed headset? Can you use a mic with an open set or will it pick up?
>>
File: image.png (451KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
451KB, 1242x2208px
I'm at the $300 range, should I buy a pair of these ? I mainly need them for music production.
>>
>>56446064

Thanks!
The mkIIs come with an extra cable and a set of felt plush pads to go along with the regular pleather ones.
According to reviews:
>The ear cushions have been made softer for a better fit. This improves the bass response.

Other than that, they apparently sound the same. Do you think these additions are worth the 65 to 89 dollar price jump?
>>
>>56447446
best you can get under $1000 so yes
>>
Are ATH-M50Xs a meme?
>>
>>56447826
yes
>>
>>56447176
Not the person you are talking to, but when people ask for "neutral" within a price range, the models suggested are usually whatever comes closer to being neutral for that amount of money, it doesn't imply perfect neutrality.
With that said, "if you don't like a suggestion, give an alternative to whomever asked instead of going hurr x sucks"
>>
>>56447176
>many planars are within like 2db of neutral all the way into the mids yet no one calls them neutral

because they aren't neutral, upper midrange and treble is important

If you're using bass extension to judge neutrality then every studio monitor out there isn't neutral by your dumb standards
>>
Anyone have experience with the panasonic Ergo fit IEMs?
>>
Help /g/, I can't find headphones that suit my tastes

I previously posted >>56399210 asking for recs, and got one. NAD Viso HP50 and holy shit that is dryer than the fucking Sahara desert. Everything else sounds equally as flawed: it either sounds like lifeless shit, the drums sound terrible, or the mids are muddy garbage.

Can anyone help me out?
>>
File: Untitled.png (99KB, 2112x380px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
99KB, 2112x380px
>>56437683
>>56437792
>>56438011
This is what I was referring to. It sounds a little logically as the uber has it's own separate power source but there are people who say their $600 pure silver cables make their headphones sound better through less noise/interference which also logically makes sense but also retarded, so I'm not sure who to believe.

This poster's name checks out though.
>>
>>56420934
I guess the beyerdynamic DT 990 will be good for you. But also expect high amounts of treble.
>>
>>56447446
If you buy speakers take into account that you *must* do acoustic treatment in the room. This is why I personally hate speakers.
>>
>>56450709
No you don't you dimwit.
>>
>>56425795
That would be the NVX XPT100.
>>
Are Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on-ear good for 99€? Or should I go for M40x? I'll plug them into a computer and a phone, no dac/amp.
>>
>>56451504
What are you using them for?
IMO the m40x's would sound better, but the momentum's would be better for transport and build quality
>>
>>56451645
Listen to music at work and on the bus mostly. Perfect isolation is not a must, I've gotta hear colleagues calling me. I also have eyeglasses and I don't know how the M40X would work with them.
>>
>Budget
$80-$200
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop Audio jack/Galaxy S7 Edge
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Decent at least, good to great if possible
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't know a damn thing about this; don't have headphones currently so I can't judge or tell.
>Past headphones
Pic related before it died off nearly a year ago, and I had to rely on monitor speakers since.
>>
>>56451683
if you have glasses both will be pretty gross
the m40x's are heavily improved if you put new pads on them, as stock the pads suck anyway
you've got plenty of options if you do, but it will raise the price a bit.

imo both are generally normal at isolation for closed back

if you change the pads to velour you may get a little less isolation
>>
>>56451736
Gross as in they would be uncomfortable?
Also, currently have Piston 3, would the Momentum/M40X sound better? They set my standards pretty high.
>>
>>56451851
yeah, uncomfortable. pretty much any pad that isnt rock hard or thin as shit will work fine with glasses tho

i can't say for sure about the momentums, as I haven't listened to them in ages, but the m40x's certainly will sound better. They'll have less bass than your pistons though. still, far more fidelity and quality.
>>
>>56451894
Thanks friend, are there even glass-friendly headphones in the market?
>>
>>56451719
Look into the Takstar Pro 80's,or the Hyper X Cloud Core. [Whatever is cheaper. They're the same can, one is just modified into a headset]

You can get them real cheap off ebay/aliexpress/gearbest for the clouds, and they sound like ~100-150 tier headphones. They're moderately bass heavy, which I assume you'd like since you seem like you really aren't into the whole 'ULTIMATE fidelity, must be neutral' type shit, though they certainly aren't too far off that.

They're comfy too. Nice soft leather headband, regular clamp force, come with actually GOOD real leather [which is rare], and velour pads to switch to.

If you want to reach the higher end of your budget, you'll likely need an amp, though I'm more familiar with open backed in higher price ranges.

>>56452020
Plenty. Large over ears that have soft velour or leather pads work fine. [as long as normal clamping force] My HD 598's don't push on glasses at all. You've got a ton of options, especially with headphones where you can replace/change pads.
>>
>>56452223
I'm not looking for a headset; sorry if the image made it look like I was. I'm extremely new to all of this, and all of my 'research' has lead me to be unsure and spend months looking up and being frustrated because there's no shop within 50-60 miles that sells and allows you to try on headphones that aren't Bose or Beats.

The lack of reviews on the Pro 80s also has me a little concerned.
>>
>>56452297
the Pro 80's are literally the same driver, same enclosure and everything to the Clouds. There are quite a few reviews on head-fi and youtube anyway.
you can remove the mic from the Clouds as well, so they're functionally no different.

What exactly are you using the headphones for, and what music do you listen to?
You may want to repost and refine your form in the next thread when its up, since this one is almost dead.
>>
>>56452359
Music. I don't care about "7.1 Surround" because I don't play FPS or highly competitive video games. I'll be listening to them pretty much all day since I work at home and I have to deal with a lot of sound that I both would like to not hear and for them to not hear.

I'll be sure to do that once the next one pops up, and in the meanwhile look into the Pro 80s some more.

How would you compare the Pro 80s with the TH-02s? I hear those are surprisingly good if you replace the pads.
>>
>>56452397
>TH-02s
Pro 80's are definitely better. The TH-02's have a sleight veil, and just arent as clear
Build quality is worse due to plastic rather than the metal on the Pro 80
Comfort would be similar once you change the pads. Their headbands are both good, but the Pro 80's are actually ear shaped, rather than circle like the TH-02's.
the clamp is more on the Tascams as well.

these videos may help you out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk1QnLH0iOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbwkUA2WIs

He also said the pro 80's are clearer on leddit
>>
I've owned the Koss Porta Pros for about a year.

Why is it that the Koss KSC75's that I got today not sound the same? Porta Pros are more bassy and I expected the KSC75's to be the same too.

Will burn-in make KSC75's bassier exactly like my Porta Pro? It sounds too normal like a Earpod and not bassy.
>>
>>56452223
So for comfort and sound quality M40X with velour pads, but portability and build quality the Momentum right?
>>
>>56452860
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>56453619
>>56453619
>>56453619

New bread
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.