[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 43

Old one is past bump limit.
>>
File: 1472660002093.png (366KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
1472660002093.png
366KB, 600x726px
A few friends of mine convinced me to try Linux, I didn't like it so now I'm switching back to Windows. I made a backup of my hard drive before switching, but I have no idea how to actually use it and get Windows back on. It's a pbd file, and it's close to 400 GB. Any ideas?
>>
>>56365639
What program did you use to make the backup?
>>
Are there any good reader programs that can read various ebook formats such as pdf, epub, djvu, mobi, AZW, etc., or do you have multiple programs for these types of things?
In either case, which programs do you use?
>>
>>56365730

foxit reader is goat for pdf
>>
>>56365694
It's was called EaseUS Todo, the free version. I only used it because one of those same friends told me too, but I'm no longer in contact with him so I can't ask him how to use it.
>>
File: 1466905638939.png (3MB, 1937x1097px) Image search: [Google]
1466905638939.png
3MB, 1937x1097px
What is the chepeast hosting for a website? 1 Year and in the USA preferred

Don't care about botnet
>>
>>56365785
You need to make a recovery disk that you can boot your computer to. It will help you load your system back from that file.

http://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/restore-system.html
>>
>>56365854
The bootable cd, is that the back up file? Or the Windows disk?
>>
>>56365924
I'm guessing this is redundant, but you might not want to let friends convince you to uproot your system if you have no idea how to fix it.

The bootable cd is either a literal CD/DVD, or a small series of files written to a flashdrive. Either way it should only be a few hundred megabytes. The idea is that you load up a temporary operating system from that CD/DVD/USB and that little OS contains a version of EaseUS that lets you copy the 400GB backup file back on to your HDD/SDD so that it's like none of this mess ever happened.
>>
>>56366092
It was fine at the time, but the friend who knew how to do all this is no longer a friend, so I can't really help that.

The OS, where do I get that from? Like an actual copy of Windows? Because the article doesn't say anything, and I can't imagine an OS that already has Ease on it.
>>
So my phone is pretty much destroyed software wise. Can't browse any site besides 4chan without a million popups. Music player likes to close randomly. Heats up for no discernable reason at random times throughout the day...

I don't know anything about smartphones. That old lady who keeps getting toolbars on internet explorer? That's me with cell phones.

So I guess what I'm asking is how do I undo whatever it is I am done here and where can I learn more about this "smartphone phenomenon", because they seem to have a big future, unlike my familiar beige boxes.

Pic related my phone.
>>
>>56366179
http://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/create-emergency-disk.html

No, I still don't think you're getting it. When you have EaseUS, or most any other backup program installed on your computer, the program gives you the option to create a rescue disk (CD/DVD/flashdrive) that you can boot your system to if something goes wrong. Most people (ideally) make that disk before they start tinkering with their system. You may need to find a windows computer and install EaseUS on it in order to make that disk now.
>>
>>56366288
Alright, got it. Last question, where does the backup file fit into all this? Do I need to put it on the disk while making it, or will it prompt me for that during the boot up?
>>
Is there a WebGL tutorial that teaches me entirely correct information?

Last time I prepared a WebGL program I had to mix and match to get something that worked, and I can't be bothered doing it again.
>>
File: image.jpg (998KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
998KB, 2592x1936px
Reposting:
Why is the screw on the left side of the cpu cooler mount not tightening?
When tightening the screw from below the lower nut should move up but it moves down instead
>>
>>56366361
So you're asking me if you need to put a 400GB file onto a 4GB DVD? If your pbd file is on an external drive, just make sure that's connected before you begin. If it's on an internal drive besides the one you're about to restore to, then there's no special steps. When you've loaded up the emergency disk you will be able to locate and select your backup file from among the drives that are part of/attached to your system.
>>
File: 1439359243187.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1439359243187.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>56366474
Yes, it's on an external. Thanks a lot Anon, I think I've got it now.
>>
>>56366456
stripped threads maybe?
>>
My idiotic self bought a heatsink that's so large it blocks the PCIe 3.0 x16 lane.

I've installed my video card in the second PCIe x16 (running at 8x) lane because everything I read said that, at the time, nothing was close to saturating even the 8x lane on PCIe 3.

Is this still true for modern high end cards like the 480 and 1080? And how quickly will this become a problem?
>>
>>56366560
if the threads are stripped (how could I check this) and where could I get new screws?
thanks
>>
Can you run a linux software on windows?
I'm using clementine on linux and I kinda wanna go back to windows however I've grown attached to clementine. Mostly because I have my playcounts on songs lol
>>
how do i fix screen tearing on youtube (and all other web videos) on chromium ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>56366787
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/releases/download/1.3.1/ClementineSetup-1.3.1.exe
>>
>>56366983
holy shit brah thanks
>>
Best torrenting software?
I see this question a lot but I never really cared for it.
I use qbit but I don't like how it says error everytime I move the file after it's finished downloading
>>
whats a good way to broadcast video from my home PC out to only a few people on the internet?

I wanna stream some movies for my friends.
>>
>>56367150
vlc
>>
>>56367203
What no other alternative?
>>
File: 1424547572302.jpg (82KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1424547572302.jpg
82KB, 540x720px
Hey guys, I was hoping to sell a bunch of old reddit accounts from like 5-7 years ago when I used the site, but since I'm not going to be completely anonymous when I give this people my info so they can pay me, I want to make sure I didn't have any sketchy posts I deleted. Do any of you know if there's any way to view deleted posts? I tried Uneddit, but it just seems to load indefinitely and never shows the deleted comments like it's supposed to. Any ideas?
>>
>>56367212
well that's one option
>>
I'm gonna install Ubuntu Server on an old laptop. Then I'm gonna install Unity and some torrent client that I will keep running 24/7.

Can you install Unity on Ubuntu Server? Is this what they call a seedbox or is there something more?
>>
>>56367226
Alright thanks but i dont wanna use vlc
>>
I'm going to partition my harddrive and install windows 8. Can I view the folders on ubuntu when I'm on windows? I'd rather drag and drop all the files rather than move them to my hdd then move it back. Takes about an hour and I hate using my hdd for that long desu
>>
Is there any way to install linux fonts on win7? If not, are there any windows ports of linux fonts?
>>
>>56365604
I have a samsung s5 and after the last software update I hate it. The camera no longer tries very hard to focus and the quality of the pictures went to shit. I used to damn near be able to macro with it, but now it's just like, fuck off. Also, it seems like the reception is worse but I'm not sure. I recently moved. I know, blah blah blah the s6 and the s7 are better, I don't care I just paid this one off and I swear they partially bricked it to get me to upgrade. Anyway, should I root it since it has unlocked status now? (got a message from t-shitmobile saying it's unlocked now that I own it) I still have insurance on it so will I be fucked if I send it in after rooting it? Supposedly on the s5 there is a way to tell if it's been rooted even after a factory reset.
TL;DR S5 - root or not? Will insurance be borked?
>>
Where can I find windows themes? I want a different look on windows. I always see people with it
>>
The last time I update my nvidia drivers it fucked up my performance so I rolled back. Is the most recent one worth the risk?
>>
>>56367655
D E V I A N T A R T
>>
>>56367540
Root it to try out custom ROMs.

It shouldn't effect insurance because you can always unroot it.

And just to clarify, a phone doesn't need to be unlocked to be rooted. What they mean by unlock is that you can now take that phone to another carrier. It doesn't effect whether it can be rooted.
>>
>>56367225
No one?
>>
>>56365604
Will this fit in a T420s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F3X09341
>>
I just started my CS class and I'm trying to write a program in C++ that stores player stats to a file, read the states from the file, and also update the file with new stats as well. I've got the updating the stats, I just need help with reading the stats and storing them so I can access them again within the program.

Anyone have a example I could look at to maybe get an idea?
>>
What's the best way to remotely use a smart tv as the monitor of a computer? Or at least wirelessly, without using extra hardware.
>>
>>56367901
does the smart tv support streaming video?
you could possibly stream your desktop as video, there'll be some latency, but that doesn't matter for things like playing movies
>>
Living on-campus for a year, how easy is it to get a student help desk job for the university? I have an A+ certificate, and a fair amount of practice on my own with hardware, but nothing formal.

What should I be putting on my resume, or going about getting the positions?
>>
>>56367865
use delimiters , space tab eol etc... to organize your data , so when you read it there is a clear pattern to things
>>
File: I hope for a reply.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
I hope for a reply.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>56365604
I had I thought what I wanted was a simple goal

Make movable files linked in Emacs so I can easy move between then in a non-liner manner.

I got this to work if the files NEVER move, but if I move anything the whole system breaks, even if all the files stay together in the same folder. I know this is because the first part of the link [driveA/userZ/folder1/folderG] =/= [driveB/userX/folder2/folderG] is not correct once moved. And I am not just dropping everything into the local root file every time, that is just bad practice.

I need a way to just have [*/folderG] = [*/folderG] or some simple search system that auto compensates for movement with a directory or tags or something.

How do I get this to work?
>>
>>56367013
It is an error if it cant find the file???
>>
Why is 6600k so much better than 6600 besides oc?
>>
HOw long does is take to mount an iso?
I'm stuck at /sources/install.esd
I don't think it took this long last time? Maybe?
CUrrently at 18min
>>
I was playing a video game and my screen froze and a horrible sound played until I did a hard reboot. No bluescreen or anything. I just built the PC recently. Drivers are up to date. Is it an overheating issue?
>>
>>56368373
A normal mount takes a few seconds, ~15s for me.

However if the system is rebuilding some kind of index (often when first connecting to different file system or OS), then it can take awhile. It is effected by the connection speed (USB 1.0, is an ~eternity), size of drive and number of files. Lots of tiny file can slow it down. Thankfully once the index is built and saved it don't take as long next time, although it may still take time opening thing but not mounting the drive.

Do you see a progress bar or a changing name line to show it is actually working, and not just hung?
>>
>>56368510
It was actually moving, just at a very slow pace. Run time says 35min an it's kind of close to the end. Kinda weird because I mounted ubuntu and w7 before and I don't think it took this long.
>>
Would I lose all my data if I decrypt my bit locked partition? Not sure how I could copy it since it shows as an encrypted bit locked drive format.
>>
>>56368536
How is this drive connected and used, what kind of data?

Do you have a lot of files in one folder, or in the main directory?
I know I had been just throwing interesting images into one folder and when ever I tried opening it took longer and longer to open. Breaking it into a few folders made each one open faster.

I did some reading and think designating a fixed mount point would speed it up next time as designated ones have fixed path they can reuse every time. But never bothered as I my small drive takes a few seconds to index what little I use and it is highly mobile, and my master archive takes ~40minutes but I connect it every few months and don't want to mess with drive paths as if I mess it up I would have to fix it.
>>
Laptop shuts down the minute I unplug the power supply even though the battery is full and when I press the power button, it boots up with everything still intact and the battery starts losing charge from 100 to zero in a minute. What do? Should I replace battery?
>>
>>56368921
Does sound like the battery is dead, how old is it?
>>
installed minGW on windows 10. Every time I call gcc I get
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/5.3.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpthread
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Eventhough the .c file i try to compile isn't even importing anything. Its just main returning 3.
>>
>>56368299
its 200mhz faster stock, but mostly the OC since you can generally hit 4.2-4.5
>>
>>56368415
Is your CPU overclocked?
>>
>>56368981
Couple of years
>>
>>56368415
Did you check the temperatures? There is enogh free(as in free of charge) software that can read it out for you. Read it while playing the game that fucked it up last time.
>>
Zotac Firestorm question. Can I lower the target gpu temp without lowering the power target without affecting stability? Stock configuration is at 83c/100% and I don't really like 83c target
>>
File: 2016-06-24.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-24.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I sent in my 290x for an RMA today. What are the chances that Gigabyte will send me back a 390x if they can't fix my gpu?
>>
>>56369166
Max power % or overclock %?

>>56369172
tree fiddy
>>
File: zotac 1070 amp extreme stock.png (55KB, 326x337px) Image search: [Google]
zotac 1070 amp extreme stock.png
55KB, 326x337px
>>56369207
I don't plan to overclock just yet, I just want to tweak the temperatures. Pic related is the stock configuration.

I tried changing the slider to 65c but the power also lowers and got a popup for unstability. I can however unlock that and just change the temp to 65 without changing the power% but I haven't clicked applied yet. Will that affect stability?
>>
>>56369236
Not sure how the temp target works in zotac's software, I've only used msi afterburner

The power limit being at max and having a lower temp shouldn't really be bad for stability afaik, I've only used it with a 970 and you can max out the power limit and stay below 70c easy
>>
File: ffs.png (85KB, 726x567px) Image search: [Google]
ffs.png
85KB, 726x567px
I don't really think this is a stupid question but here goes.
Is there a way to download all the links at once in an archive like pic related? You dl each one by right-click save as, i've tried to do this to the parent directory to save them all at once but it only downloads a link to the archive.
>>
>>56369280
wget
curl
downlthemall
>>
File: virtualcucks.png (85KB, 1600x870px) Image search: [Google]
virtualcucks.png
85KB, 1600x870px
Why is Virtualbox failing on my Win10 machine? I have tried at least 5 different previous builds and no matter what .iso I feed it, it simply won't start.

Can you recommend me a (preferably free as in freedom) alternative which is similarly easy to use?
>>
I use netcat to receive data but it all comes jumbled without line breaks.
I want to line break every certain character but i'm not sure how.
basically if it was a text file with all data it would just be
cat file | sed 's/</\n</g'
now
nc | sed 's/</\n</g'
doesn't work
anyone know how i would do this?
>>
How can I confirm if my HDD is broken or fixable?
>>
>>56369345
If you have to ask that question its probably fucked
>>
>>56369323
use WMware workstation, it's free now
>>
>>56368415
If gpu is AMD 200/300 series and gpu memory brand is elpida, you're fucked.
>>
>>56369362
It most likely is, but I'm not sure since it's acting a bit weird. Showing up during a startup, still beeing shown but unwritable for as long as the pc is goign and is simply not showing up during a restart until I've done a complete shutdown.
>>
>>56369319
awesome, thanks
>>
As someone who knows next to nothing about linux is there any site or link to info that can get a newfag like me up to date?
>>
Is there a way to tell sellers from amazon to ship a screen a safe way? I bought a screen to replace a broken one on my laptop and they just sent it covered in bubble wrap and it was broken by the time I got it in the mail. I tried looking for a place that sells screens in my town but I don't think anyone does, or at least without high markup
>>
>>56369440
read the fucking board sticky and get your ass to friendly linux thread
>>
>>56369017
nope

>>56369381
1070 with Gskill

>>56369101
I'll try that next time
>>
Will someone please search the drone registration database and see if this shows up?
FA3PNKM99X
I would myself but I can't right now.
Thanks.
>https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=85548
>>
>>56369440
literally just go install ubuntu and start fucking around with the command line. within a week you'll be more knowledgeable than most of /g/
>>
If I want to learn to program(for the sake of learning to hack websites and computers themselves) what programming language should I start off with? I know just a little bit HTML. Would python be a good programming language to start off with? Or should I learn javascript first?
>>
>>56369552
Yep hat the way to do it.

I got an old computer so I could reformat when I screwed up to bad. Then started copying people stuff I found on-line, biased on my goals and what I wanted to get done.

While I don't have a broad a scope as someone who formally studied it, I do have enough to get a handle and do what I want.

Now I have a boot able USB with all my OS and programs that I can use on any 64bit Intel system (although not all modules work on everything, it loads and lets me do stuff). I don't have a cloud, I got my home made USB master key, and that is more then enough for the common person to think I am some E1l+e Hacker.

It was me literally just messing around with basic gaols in mind.
If I want more I'll need to learn a proper language, rather then the cobble junk like I do now, but cobble junk works for just about everything I want and does way more then any normal user can dream of.
>>
Theoretically, could someone make a open source project that had some kind of harmful secret code? Something that would be added when compiling the official binary.
>>
File: 095_876x1200.jpg (148KB, 876x1200px) Image search: [Google]
095_876x1200.jpg
148KB, 876x1200px
>>56365604
how do i install my drivers for my realtek Ethernet drivers to work on my Debian install.
Any Debian bros there?
So far i have all the non free setup in my sources now do i just download my drivers put them on a USB then install them with grep?
>>
How do i use X in virtualbox?
Guest addons installed
Tried nouveau, no luck
Tried nvidia, no luck.
What am i missing?
>>
>>56369733
It would be pretty easy to slip some malicious code in, people very rarely actually audit open source software.
>>
>>56367271
yes, unity is in the default ubuntu sources and can be installed and reinstalled whenever. I think it's called ubuntu-desktop
>>
File: kamina.jpg (112KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
kamina.jpg
112KB, 700x393px
>>56369738
Wow, dealing with that hell a few weeks ago. May as well share the secret of the universe. Note I think I found every way to fix it, expect the one I needed (never mess with unsupported Mac hardware running modified firmware).

First give me some more details.
What do you got and what are you trying to do.

If it is just a standard Ethernet driver and you are willing to reinstall. You should be able to follow
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s04.html.en
download the stuff you need, put the files on a USB under /firmware and plug it in before turning it on to install. Installer should grab the needed files off of the USB as it installs everything else.

If not then we take this to the next level.
>>
>>56367294
There are ext4 filesystem readers for windows, I use ext2fsd

http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/
>>
I have a Note 4 and it has been losing signal randomly as well as rebooting to the same tune of frequency. this is also happening to a friend who also has the same phone (same ROM & version) in another country. What are the odds that this is purely coincidental? Any other Note 4 users experience the same thing?
>>
>>56368415
This is actually not uncommon for the 300 series cards. RMA
>>
>>56370011
He has Nvidia though, a 1070 with gskill in it.
I have a 380x and it does that, checked the memory and yep it was elpida, fucking rebrands. Hynix doesn't have this problem. Gonna get an rx 480.
>>
>>56367332
have a look into MacType, it provides some mac style fonts for windows. I think the official website has shut down though, search the archive rbt.asia/g for an installer link

>>56367655
google 'windows theme patcher'

>>56367839
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/What-size-drive-does-the-T420s-ThinkPad-require/ta-p/693457

The ThinkPad T420s uses / requires a 2.5", 7mm high drive. The PSREF sheet specs for both SSD and conventional rotating media drives:

Some: Solid State Drive (SSD) / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high
Some: Hard Disk Drive / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, Active Protection System™

Note that the standard T420 model accepts 7mm or 9.5mm thick drives.

>>56368415
What wattage PSU do you have?

>>56368609
I think you could just copy and paste the contents of the drive to get them in a unencrypted form
>>
>>56370042
650W 80 plus Gold EVGA
>>
My PC reboots randomly (Windows).

It's a new build, but I'm not sure what's wrong exactly. Using a Z170A, 6700k, and TP 850 Gold.

The event log records kernel-power-failure (with no additional details due to the very abrupt and premature termination of power).

I figured it may be the power supply unit, or the motherboard (e.g. providing wrong voltage).

Or it may be the UPS unit that the PC is connected to, which is shit and smaller than the PSU's capacity (~600W vs 850W).

The PC doesn't have a GPU/or other peripherals. It's just a CPU+fan+SSD, like ~150W at most.

I can't reproduce the problem. Where do I start?
>>
If I download Tails and I run it off an USB and I decide to login my youtube account will I be completely secure or is there a risk of someone hijacking me? (I heard everything goes through Tor)
>>
File: 1445106977770.png (145KB, 317x319px) Image search: [Google]
1445106977770.png
145KB, 317x319px
is there any way to connect my 3ds to internet without wifi?
my wifi broke a few weeks back and I want to play monster hunter
>>
If I want to learn to program(for the sake of learning to hack websites and computers themselves) what programming language should I start off with? I know just a little bit HTML. Would python be a good programming language to start off with? Or should I learn javascript first?
>>
>>56370352
you're gonna want to shoot yourself you edgy faggot
>>
File: 008.jpg (144KB, 780x1142px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
144KB, 780x1142px
My android phone's SD card no longer allow writing/deleting on it.
Only read is allowed, is it corrupted?
If so how to fix it, under linux?
And what file system should I use for it?
>>
>>56370316
>my wifi broke
So you have a signal jammer and are blocking all the signals in your area?
>>
>>56365831
You can probably find a cheap VPS on Google or Slashdot. I don't know what Amazon's prices are, but I know one of my professors use it, so that might be good
>>
Is there any way other than Paypal to limit your payment details to one place/provide a buffer between the seller and your card info?

I use Amazon to try to avoid that but they've fucked me around a bunch lately so I'm looking at alternatives.
It's not for protection really, it's just so that if my info is compromised then I won't need to search for where the source is.
>>
File: 1471615692662.jpg (76KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1471615692662.jpg
76KB, 450x338px
>>56370397
n-no, why would anyone do that?
>>
I probably win at the most stupid question:

I have a i7 4790K (4 GHz) and 8 GB of RAM (which is used at 50% at most), yet I find things a bit too slow to my taste.
What can I do? Adding RAM seems superfluous as it's never used over 50%.

Overclocking? Switch to SSD instead of SATA-3?
>>
>>56370428
What is slow?
>>
>>56370428
Faster RAM maybe. SSD could help. How much of your CPU is used? Malware perhaps?
>>
>>56370441
Usually the opening of some softwares.
Any JetBrains IDE for example.

>>56370454
You mean like DDR4 or something?

CPU usage is usually very low. 1-2% right now. I have Photoshop, Speccy, NordVPN, Firefox and some explorer windows open. RAM is at 43%.
>>
>>56370428
>SSD instead of SATA-3
These are not mutually exclusive, but PCI-e SSDs will be faster
If you're using an HDD then you will notice a huge difference either way.
>>
>>56370477
I do use a HDD.
>>
>>56370469
>JetBrains IDE
That's your problem.
>>
>>56370469
SSD for sure.

Doubt DDR4 is supported by the 4790K but even then DDR3 has the potential to be faster. it's not about clock speed alone, but also latency times. Actual speed can be calculated i.e. CL x clock = responsiveness in ns
>>
>>56370407
Not understanding the benefits of signal jamming.

Clearly you've never have a radar guide missile fired at you.

You quickly learn to live without Wifi for few minute or you die.
>>
Dude with second hand notebook here. managed to fix some problems but cant fix some keyboard shortcuts as ctrlc, ctlrv, ctrl alt del. All keys are working ans some shortcuts as ctrl a, ctrl t are working as well.

Im in position where i must chose one of identical notebooks. The one tht is in good shape has this shortcuts problem. Other one works fine but is scrached all ove the place. I dont have time to download and reinstall win. What im asking is what is more likely causing this shortcuts problem? Software or hardware?
>>
>>56370720
Simple test idea
Live boot Ubuntu, if keys work then likely software. If not then likely hardware.
>>
>>56370767
Keys alone work for sure because even some shortcuts work. In fact more shortcuts are working than not, problem is that i cant live without ctrl c/v and ctrl alt del. Ctrl a, ctrlt ctrl f work without problems.
>>
so say im not really supposed to use my work computer for well anything but i have my OS on an external and save my work within the os. do i need to copy those files out of the os to access them from a computer that wouldnt be running said os
>>
>>56370469
DDR4, more MHz, hope you don't Chinese knockoffs
>>
>>56370788
If you just use ctrl alt del for task manager (like me), then you can probably just right click your task bar or use ctrl shift esc
>>
>>56370837
>use ctrl shift esc
Didnt know for this, thanks. That shortcust also works on this problematic notebook so im guessing the problem is software related?

I just dont want to buy it because its in better shape and later find out its hardware.
>>
File: Untitled.png (247KB, 1360x712px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
247KB, 1360x712px
>>56370868
Little update. When using on screen keyboard ctrl c/v works
>>
>>56370309
I swear to fuck you should have to pass an exam to use tor. There is no reason you should be logging on to jack shit through it, nor any reason you should be on youtube, unless you REALLY don't want anyone to know you watch tony robins videos.
>>
>>56370821
So what, your computer is running Windows and the external has ubuntu? And you're wanting to access your ubuntu files from windows on another computer?
>>
>>56370821
First messing around like this can get people fired. Ask your IT for guidance.

Second it depends on the file system used (FAT32, NTFS, EX2, ...) and any security features (encryption, hard-locks, ...) and the OS (Windows 10, Puppy Linux, IBM-DOS, ...).

For example just about everything can read and write FAT32, so if the OS runs on a FAT32 file system then many other OS could look into the other OS and do stuff with that data.

But if you have something like Windows on a NTFS file system, that OS can't even read something like Ubuntu on a EX4 file system. Although there is converting software out there, I always try to run things natively.

So you need to at least say what OS are involved, so someone could at least assume a default setup. Right now there is no way to answer this to the level you want.
>>
>>56370953
more or less, sure
>>
>>56370983
Well the easiest thing you could do is boot up ubuntu or whatever on the second computer and copy it's files over that way. You could also put a portable copy of windows on the external, and files could go back and forth easily that way.

http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/index.html
>>
>>56370960
>>56370953
windows10/ server being main work in point. and hoping i can use mint on the external

thanks for the heads up
>>
>>56371027
>http://www.easyuefi.com/
>easy uefi
>....
LOL

if you hardware setup is right it is easy, but if it doesn't meet the guidelines (that many don't) then good luck. UEFI is a good idea, but the implementation has been a train wreck.

Still it is worth a try, just lower your paging/swap levels if you are using an SSD or flash drive.
>>
get script get

dubs check
>>
>>56371099

check emmmmm

trips in

balls out
>>
>>56370953
>>56371068

>windows10 server at work

What's so amazing about this thread is listening to people who barely know enough to phrase a question right and all the crazy ass shit they're out there tryin ta do. It's beautiful man. You always wonder which ones got fucked bad in the end.
What's so amazing about this thread is listening to all the
>>
>>56371111

CHECKKKK EMMMMMMMMMM

lol not sure why im so proud of this 5 line script
>>
>>56371093
So you've messed around with Windows To Go before?
>>
There is EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming regular and SC versions, SC one being factory overclocked by cca 100MHz.

Does that mean the SC one will have higher power consumption while gaming?
>>
>>56365604
i have to pick up developed photos from a photo studio, last time they told me they can't access my usb stick but i can open it no problem on windows 7 and debian, they still use windows xp
how to make sure they can open the drive? it was used as bootable media and formated to ntfs after
>>
>>56371140
probably slightly
>>
>>56371186
fat32 I guess
make sure to include a copy of this video on the drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos
>>
File: 6.jpg (634KB, 1280x1882px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
634KB, 1280x1882px
>>56370395
Anyone?
>>
>>56371118
no,i tryed to slash as in and,,, oops
so there its mainly windows server and then some of the other computers are windows 10, but yeah ill probably get fucked in the end, but ima try and postphone that
>>
>>56371241
>double suicide
Fucking japs.
>>
>>56371241
sorry dude, similar situation,
time to go chinky shark
>>
C question:
I have an API function that takes strings, but it's used in the library itself so needs to hold on to those strings a little longer; i.e. directly freeing those strings manually is impractical.

Now the problem is that it might get passed both stack strings from literals as well as heap strings from allocations from a copied substring.
First can't be freed, second must be freed.

What do?
a) always copy the incoming string and delete copy later
b) keep book if it's heap/stack based
c) ???

>>56365604
It's actually Small Questions Thread, but at least you didn't pick an animuh mongo chinese cartoon korean caricature pic.
>>
Is it common to get permabanned for buying cheap russian steam keys and activating over a VPN?
>>
>>56371422
>b) keep book if it's heap/stack based
* in the API structs
>>
>>56371068
Windows 10 is NTFS, with future support for ReFS but that is not common yet. (I'm not as familiar with sever edition, but know ReFS is starting in that market, still not widely used so it very likely still NTFS)
Also not familiar with Mint, but I assume the common Linux stuff applies. Many default to EX4.
Given this Windows can't read EX4 without additional software, but Mint can read and edit NTFS.

This gives you a couple options.

A. If your each individual file is under 4GB and the total drive space is under 2TB, and you don't care for some newer file support features. Then the simple thing to do is partition the drive with one part for the Mint OS (EX4) and one part for the data (FAT32). Either the older MBR or newer UEFI table set should work, but one table type is likely better depending on a number of other variables in your setup. It will act like you have two externals, one you boot from, one you save to. (this is my recommendation, and hope MBR works nice)

B. Both Windows 10 and Mint are said to support EX2, but I can't confirm this in detail. If so then you could try running Mint on a EX2 file system. It should be similar to the FAT32 solution above, but it could be done with a single partition rather then two. (Some people find this easier as it a single location for everything. Personally I just put an alias folder link and move on, but it minor pros and cons worth looking at)

C. Set it up as one Windows on the Go drive so it is all Windows and all NTFS

D. Get some EX4 coveting software installed on your work machine. (You got to go thought IT for this as installing things can be a big problem)

>>56371130
Not Windows on the Go, but other UEFI setups that were hell. Basically many manufactures have failed to follow the guidelines and thus if it is not single windows partition it can be a real pain. However given this case is actually a single Windows 10 partition, it could actually work well if all hardware is 64bit UEFI compatible.
>>
>>56365604
What WM/DE should I pick for nice scaling on my 24" 4k monitor?

I'm on windows right now and its scaling capabilities are shit.
>>
File: advanced hands free tip.jpg (32KB, 563x520px) Image search: [Google]
advanced hands free tip.jpg
32KB, 563x520px
Hello men!
I have a problem with my audio on windows 7. I have speakers connected on the back panel of my PC. When I connect my headphones on the front side 3.5mm, it doesn't automatically switch audio to them. I think this is because my computer thinks they are always connected (when I unplug my headphones, control panel says they are still plugged in, it detects if the speakers are unplugged however). Only way to switch audio output is by doing it manually from control panel.
Re-installing sound driver didn't help. I have the default Microsoft sound driver.
>>
>>56371555
It's probably because your case is bridging between the mobo's front connections, so as far as the mobo is concerned, something is always "plugged in".

Not sure how to resolve that other than making the switch more convenient with script tied to a hotkey combination.
>>
>>56371267
>chinky shark
Excuse me?
>>
>>56371593
Yep. It also says there's a mic connected. Well that's fucking stupid, time to install another ahk script
>>
I have a folder of around 2500 .png files. How would I check whether there are any other file extensions in this folder?
>>
>>56371845
Display as detailed list
Sort by file type
>>
>>56371845
Make a script that iterates of all of them and checks if each extension isn't .png
Or open in file explorer and sort by file type.
>>
what screenshot program is the best. got new pc dont know what to choose. i used to use puush just want to know if theres others
>>
>>56371940
ban this faggot
>>
>>56371940
Try reading the fucking rules.
>>
>>56371957
Kys

>>56371966
I did. Nothing in there about servers and networking
>>
>>56371994
>>51971506
>>
>>56371607
He is talking about some cheap chink SD card. You can ask about it in the chink shit general thread.

>>56371994
I think the sticky on /g/ mentions tech support not being allowed.
>>
hey /g/, yesterday I found a usb drive in a parking lot, I removed the cover and it looks like it's not broken or anything, but when I plug it in it immediately starts heating a lot.

Is the whole drive fucked, or maybe only the connector?
>>
>>56372017
I wasn't asking for tech support or how to do it, I was asking if I could do it and then was going to ask if it was worth it spending extra on newer hardware if my laptop wasn't powerful enough.

That's all I wanted to know, not how to fix a computer or setup a network.

How is that worse than "hurr durr rx480 gtx 1060 muh i7 poorfags need not apply Intel master race" that we get here every day?
>>
>>56371940
install ssh (secure filesystem access) and syncthing (dropbox-like, but p2p, only stores files on your own devices)
>>
>>56372061
All I can tell you is that they do it for free
>>
I just bought a new monitor, can someone teach me how to properly calibrate it?
>>
>>56372117
Probably.
>>
>>56372128
;_;
>>
>>56372117
It's easy enough if you can borrow a colorimiter.
>>
>>56372094
Well they can fuck off
>>
>>56372094
Who? Non-profit layers?
>>
Would now be an OK time to buy parts for my first build? I'm mostly concerned about something big coming out soon that I'm unaware of that will change price/performance ratios greatly.
>>
Hello, i dont really know much about pcs, i work for an independent film making studio , so i want to build a new pc for vídeo editing and my budget is more ir less 2000 bucks. The main software i want use is Davinci. I would really apreciate tour help, thanks in advance
>>
File: images.png (3KB, 209x242px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3KB, 209x242px
>>56372292
It is always like this, that's how they make their shekels!
>>
Tried turning my pc on today and it failed to post, and has had trouble doing so in the last week or so. Monitor would be black and after maybe 2 minutes the welcome screen would pop up. I thought it might be a RAM issue so I swapped out both sticks I have with a spare that was lying around.

So if the system failed to post with both of my other sticks in, would it be safe to assume that both are bad? Or could there be another issue? Just curious before I contact the retailer/manufacturer
>>
>>56372292
It's ok annon. Whatever you buy will be out of date in 6 months anyway!
>>
my brother updated the drivers to his graphics card and now his internet connection is spotty. he's running windows 7, nvidia card, wired internet connection. I suggested a system restore, but he said he tried that and it said a system restore wasn't possible. any idea what's causing this problem?
>>
>>56366562
Basically never. Certainly not before it becomes time to replace your motherboard.

>>56370309
It's possible, the login cookie could be accessed by the next site you visit. There should be no reason to input any identifying information through TOR.

>>56370428
An SSD with give you the biggest speed boost if you don't have one already. Your CPU and RAM shouldn't be bottlenecking at all.

>>56371121
Post it

>>56371555
This is default behaviour. Get a 3.5mm splitter and have the speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time through the same port, turn off the speakers whenever you don't need em.

>>56371945
Greenshot is pretty GOAT

>>56372292
Now is pretty good, the prices on the 480 and 1060 have stabilised. There's never gonna be a perfect time.

>>56372307
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2yZd9W

>>56372363
Some RAM kits only work if both of the sticks are in, and usually come as a pair. Sometimes they just aren't compatible with the motherboard. If it came as a pair then send it back as a pair, if they came individually and both don't work on their own then it's either the RAM or another system component.
>>
File: 1472345125869.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472345125869.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
Starter learning C++ at class, without any serious previous knowledge of any other language past basic understanding.
Teacher seems really good.
What am I in for?
Any tips to git gud faster?
Anything I should work on from the start?
Anything to avoid?
>>
I don't know if this is better suited for /v/ or here but my 380 is hitting 84c at 70% fan speed when playing the battlefield 1 beta. Is this temperature at this fan speed a concern or is it OK? Should I clean the card?
>>
>>56372549

I've been using them for the better part of the month without issue, my system boots perfectly now with the other ram stick I put in but I guess I should probably test both sticks individually just in case before I send them back. Thank you anon
>>
>>56372682
Probably could use a good dusting
>>
File: 1380122942915.gif (3KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1380122942915.gif
3KB, 300x300px
Should I use the CPU OPT fan header on my mobo if my heatsink has two fans?
>>
When my ISP doesn't want to increase my upload speed at the cost of download speed are they just dicks or is it not technologically possible? Say I would pay 10$ for 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload and would like to instead pay 10$ for 70Mbps download and 40Mbps upload instead.
Obviously let us assume they can provide even faster speeds for more money instead both for dl and upload but I dont want to pay extra adn would rather sacrifice download speed to get some more upload speed.
>>
Does /g/ have a recommended tweaks list for Windows 10 like we did for W7?

I just 'upgraded' so I'm interested.
>>
>>56372856
ISPs always give you a disproportionately low upload speed. Most people don't care since 95% of things people do are download intensive. And the upload intensive things are stuff they don't want like torrenting and home servers so they're happy to charge you more for them. Way back in dial up days there were physical reasons for higher download speeds, and they just decided they like it that way when those reasons were gone.
>>
Is there a Shadowplay alternative for AMD gpus?
>>
>>56365604
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

Just bought this and wondering, why are the colors so wash out? like if there was a green filter on white color as well
it feels so innacurate, I am thinking of refunding it
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
I am trying to lower the cost of my new build and I think I can do it with the case. Right now I have on my list Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case.
What are some cheaper alternatives?
Bitfenix seem cheaper but do they have handy features?

What are some features that I should look for in a case apart from space for all the parts?
>>
>pc randomly extremely slows down, like slow motion every minute or so
>move mouse
>it goes back to normal

What the fuck is this?
Please help.
>>
>>56373192
Some bullshit flash situation on youtube or crap browser rendering on firefox?

It happens to my toaster netbook though. I think I should change browser, get Opera or something..
>>
>>56373192
>Most generic indeterminate problem description I have seen yet.

>Clearly it is temporal radiation from the Zata disaster of 7689 that is flipping a bit of RAM filled with your mouse driver files. You need to invent time travel (should only take you 9 or 10 years, not that hard) and stop the disaster that was triggered by an incompetent time travel from the year 2026.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-01+at+04.34.42).png (21KB, 422x276px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-01+at+04.34.42).png
21KB, 422x276px
hello, my font in menu bars and chrome tabs and some other places have suddenly gone small, pic related.
This may be after i tried to change the "make it easier to read whats on your screen" to 150% and back to 100 because i just wanted to try.
I have Windows 7 with a custom theme
Thanks
>>
is korean read from right to left or from left to right?
>>
>>56373226

No, it happens in games too.
Everything gets choppy slow motion, sound still works fine, move mouse, everything goes back to normal. Happens every minute. Started yesterday.

Had to change psu and motherboard because of another problem like 2 months ago. Had to reinstall windows, all my games and shit deleted. I spent hours of downloading and installing shit, if I have to do it again, I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL MYSELF MY MAN...
>>
>>56373118
>What are some features that I should look for in a case apart from space for all the parts?
if you like it?
>>
I recently moved into a new apartment and the walls are thick as fuck so just one wall almost completely blocks the signal. Is there any router for personal use that has a stronger signal than the normal ones?
>>
>>56373386
oh i don't care about looks.
I am more about practicality , no tool access, cable compartments, etc.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-01+at+05.11.56).png (3KB, 206x213px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-01+at+05.11.56).png
3KB, 206x213px
>>56373287
this got fixed by changing the the text size to 101% but that 101 will bug me for the rest of my life...
>>
>>56373303
i know... formatting takes me like 3-4 hours to bring back everything..
maybe update drivers.
>>
>>56373446
cardboard box it is then.
>>
One of my drives randomly stopped showing in windows then after I rebooted it was fine, checked in in CrystalDiskInfo and it seems fine. What would have cause that to happen?
>>
>>56372682
It's not that bad for AMD, but it doesn't hurt to dust it. Use compressed air.

>>56372856
Some techologies have limited upload capacities, such as ADSL. It could be this, or it could be your ISP trying to jew you.

>>56373292
From top to bottom.

>>56373446
Airflow is important. The best way to achieve good airflow is to not have a case, but that's very impractical.

>>56373542
Svenskjævel.
>>
>>56373603
..these threads should be also called stupid answers.
>>
>>56373618
how can you tell if the airflow is good in a case?
>>
>>56373545

I did, still nothing. ;_;
I fucking hate computers so much.

Before I take it back to the store again, is there a way to diagnose it myself, is there like a program to run that will tell me what's wrong?
>>
>>56373618
>From top to bottom.
but once you arrive at the bottom you move to the left or right column?
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 254x460px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 254x460px
I had a 32gb SD that I used for a raspberry pi, but it only appears as 1.08 now, even after formatting. How do I get my storage back?
>>
>>56373662
You turn a new page, which is also from top to bottom.
>>
>>56373638
Airflow is really decided more by fans than the case, but generally you want cool air coming in from the front and hot air going out from the back.
>>
>>56373666
repartition
>>
File: Omnec-Korea-Innen-Wendelle_2.jpg (819KB, 1878x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Omnec-Korea-Innen-Wendelle_2.jpg
819KB, 1878x1500px
>>56373679
what
>>
>>56373666
That doesn't sound good, anon.
I had a 3 TB drive that appeared as 32 MB. The file system was RAW, couldn't get anything out of it. I tried many applications but none did the trick.

Please tell me you have backups.
>>
>>56373708
That book is obviously sideways.
>>
>>56373708
In that case you can follow the page numbers.
>>
File: wait.png (71KB, 299x222px) Image search: [Google]
wait.png
71KB, 299x222px
>>56373716
>>
got a new pc and got the gigaworks t20 speakers. coming from a laptop with in built beats speakers and cheap shitty headphones they don't really seem as clear as i was expecting them to be.
any advice on how to make them sound better? Should i keep windows volume max and adjust speaker volume or the other way around? any tweaks in realtek audio manager?
what about tremble and bass?
could it be the speaker position on the desk?
>>
File: Capture.png (55KB, 674x497px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
55KB, 674x497px
>windows 10
>can't use the scroll on my mousepad

Upgraded to win 10 but for some reason the flushed 'scroll' on the right of my mouse pad doesn't scroll, but just acts as a part of the mousepad.

Does this make any sense?

pic related are the turned on settings i thought would help fix it
>>
Trying to get Windawesome to work, but I'm getting this error message

http://pastebin.com/pWh44XPf

wat do
>>
I think my phone was stolen, is there a way to get the imei through a different method? With that i can track it right?
>>
I just want to thank >>56365694 and a bunch of other people who chimed in and helped me figure out how to get my old 2010 laptop to be fast as fuck again.

Went through a bunch of useless backup methods but upgrading to a new OS and listening to some feedback here saved me from buying another laptop. It seems like my laptop's heat that was going haywire has calmed down and it's finally running smooth again.

Now that I'm on Windows 10, are there any recommended moves?
I'm planning to upgrade to an SSD down the road but I'm tight on cash atm.

Are there any minimal security programs like Malware Bytes ? How about any tips on widgets for Google apps - ie Keep, Calendar, which I use a lot.

Love you /sqt/
>>
Where do I go to pirate textbooks
>>
Is logical increments still a good guide?
>>
>>56373713
There's nothing on it, I just wanted to use it for a different device of mine.
>>
>>56374025
yes
but wont hurt to consult around here or on reddit in /r/buildapc before pulling trigger
>>
>>56373701
How?
>>
>>56373446
make sure all cases pass the TEMPEST test
>>
>>56372590
Make sure you understand why something works rather than just following instructions.
>>
Hey /sqt/ the weirdest thing happened to me yesterday wondering if I can get some help with it. Basically, it started when I was talking shit to some kid on CoD, the typical obviously underage squeaker type. Anyway he gets more and more upset as it goes on, and eventually says "you better shut the fuck up or I'm going to hack you." Of course I laughed it off as the typical bullshit, but then he says "Ok bye then" and maybe 30 or so seconds later my PC winks off as if someone yanked the cord from the outlet, tried to turn it back on after and the fans spin up but nothing else will start. No post sounds, nothing displayed on the screen, nothing. Tried unplugging and replugging everything multiple times, opened it up to make sure everything looks to be seated properly, but nothing seems to be wrong, but it's just totally unresponsive. What I'm wondering is, is it really so easy to just remotely assfuck someone's computer like this? And how can I fix it? I mean my rig is not cheap and I can't really afford to just replace the whole thing.
>>
server DNS address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

what's causing this?
>>
>>56373935
Avast actually has some of the lowest system impact of anything these days. Also Bitdefender doesn't let you do manual scans but it's light weight and very quiet. Just werks. Also use Ublock origin and maybe norton DNS
>>
>>56373713
>>56373701
Used diskpart, working as normal now
>>
File: shitnuggets.png (3MB, 1679x936px) Image search: [Google]
shitnuggets.png
3MB, 1679x936px
so my laptop says I have a free ram slot

it has 4gb soldiered and a 4gb so-dimm in the one slot I can see, are there any other slots that I'm not aware of? or can I cram 2 ram sticks (the other underneath the preexistent one) in there?
>>
>>56374564
I should correct myself, it is speccy that says I have a free ram slot***
>>
>>56365730
Calibre is pretty good
>>
>>56371422
plz help
>>
How do I make mactype work on chrome?
there was a new release 2 days ago and it's supposed to work with chrome again but just installed it and it's the same
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 357x167px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 357x167px
How do i fix it
>>
File: Capture1.png (4KB, 387x129px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
4KB, 387x129px
>>56375129
>>
Can I wash my sheets and my regular clothes all together?
>>
>>56375151
Usually, yes. If you've got bedbugs I wouldn't.
>>
it seems like one of the screws on my cpu cooler is stripped
where could I get replacement screws
also how bad would it be to use the stock cpu cooler?
>>
File: chrome-canary-512.png (85KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
chrome-canary-512.png
85KB, 512x512px
Any canary fags having problems with the latest update?

When I open the browser it takes like a minute until it completely closes down. Fuck it did it right now in the middle of writing this.

Any solutions?
>inb4 install firefox (lel)
>>
What's so terrible about
pacman -Sy
>>
Is there a way to safely send any kind of information (files, links etc) without installing any software or registering any accounts?
I use WeTransfer to send files to my email to access them at my home PC and it doesn't need an account. Are there any other ways? When I find something useful like a link I just send an encrypted .txt file to my email through WeTransfer.
>>
I think my hdd failed, what's the best option to replace it? Only HDDs, I care for space & reliability, not muh SSD speed.
>>
How can i use my webcam for home security? What software do i need for viewing live feed?
>>
>>56375505
SSDs are at least as reliable as HDDs, more so in some circumstances. But if you're too cheap to get both you can find 2TBs all over the place.
>>
>>56375562
What I meant is what sizes and company to go for.
Big sizes are slower and more unreliable, right? But is it still worth to go for 4TB instead of 2?
And what manufacturer? I know about that graph of hdd failures, but I don't know how meme it is.
>>
>>56366230
Why not just restore back to factory condition?
>>
Can anyone recommend some good online resources for learning to use the Powershell ISE?
>>
My friend gave me something to wonder about. Would it be possible to make an engine that instead of inline, v, or w layout has a cross pattern layout. Would it be efficient? Would it work?
>>
>>56375648
Well percentage failure rates is the best you're gonna do. Everything else is someone's biased personal experiences.
>>
>>56375648
canned answer #926:

The common default is WD Black 2TB, nice balance of cost to performance last I checked.

I am sure there are better ones but those will cost more. Look for Enterprise/business/industrial stuff, those are filtered to have better tolerances then the consumer models, and never buy the cheapest ones.

But given the cost and things, it is still recommend to change them every 2 to 5 years and to make back ups, because stuff still happens.
>>
>>56375451
What kind of files are sending? What size?
Do you need to access them for long time or just to get it back to your computer?
>>
>>56375738
>The common default is WD Black 2TB

don't listen to this faggot, get a blue or a seagate barracuda
>>
>>56375754
>Seagate
>>
File: 3a5.jpg (23KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
3a5.jpg
23KB, 480x320px
>>56375754
>seagate barracuda
>>
>>56375754
blue is for OS and black for performance from what I know, what's the difference other than the price?
Logical increments tells me Hitachi is more reliable.
>>
>>56375801
>>56375799
oh please quote that already debunked backblaze article
>>
>changed my DNS settings for Norton's ConnectSafe to prevent malware from incoming

Was this a retarded move?

>>56374417
>>
What is the aspect ratio of my screen?

>1366x768
>>
>>56375901
3/12
>>
>>56375805
Black and Blue are the same design, but as they get tested and the ones that test better get labeled as Black.

People often point out that they are the same design made in the same plant, so they should be the same. But I can say that tolerance testing matters. While the mark up is higher than the real market value, the performance gains are real and are seen mostly in reliability testing. There is a reason companies pay more for these things.
>>
>>56375901
>At 1440x900, the aspect ratio is 16:10, while 1366x768 has a ratio of 16:9, which is the much more common widescreen associated TVs, movies, etc
>>
>>56375888
Nah, it's a pretty decent way to filter a lot of crap without using any system resources. Comodo also does filtering, but they've gone down before which is pretty much unacceptable.
>>
>>56375753
I can use WeTransfer for normal files cause it allows for up to 2GB. But I want a practical way to send other stuff. Now if I want to text or whatever I have to save it as a .txt, zip it and send it to my e-mail. I just want a more quick and practical way.
>>
I'm reinstalling Windows 7 today. How do I automatically either block or remove the telemetry/downgrade to Windows 10 updates? I don't want to go through them one at a time with the command line. I know I've seen a program that prevents them, I just don't remember what it was called.
>>
Anyone knows how to get administrator password on Dell laptop? Guy from who i bought it had another guy fresh install win7 prof. There are some bugs however and i want to make clean install. Pronlem is I cant change boot priority, or anythin in bios without administrator password.
>>
on samsung android phones, is the Near Field Communication capability derived from the battery?

If I were to swap out a 2100mah OEM battery with NFC capability, and use a 4800mah chinkshit battery with no NFC marked on it, would the NFC cease to function?

I do not want NFC, but I am tired of my phone not having a good camera. My current phone is below 8mp.
>>
>>56376096
For your texts, zerobin seems like a faster solution. You simply paste your text, click the button to encrypt it and send the generated link to your email.
>>
>>56376244
PSWD - Password enable. The system password will be cleared and disabled when the system is started with this jumper removed. Shorting the jumper enables password.

NOTE: On some systems, in particular on Laptops, it will not always be possible to reset the password in this way. You will need to contact your Dell Technical Support representative to get assistance resetting the BIOS password.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/6099/SLN284985#Shortcut_4
>>
>>56376222
http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499
>>
File: 1470398168825.jpg (1MB, 2232x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1470398168825.jpg
1MB, 2232x1256px
I have a Raspberry Pi with a 4TB external hard drive connected. The hard drive has its own power supply.

So when I pull the power plug of the RPi can the hard drive be damages from it? Without own power supply, it definitely could be damages, but what if it has its own power supply?
>>
What is the best way to fuck someone who steals my laptop?

Lets say i get a thinkpad and add BIOS password, and somehow lock my HDD/SSD under password.

What else could i do?
>>
>>56376450
>furfag
>fuccboi
not big surprise
>>
linuxfag in charge of fixing relative's windows 10 pc here, after the anniversay update this computer had random freezes
a) if you are aware of this problem and have a working solution please tell me
b)i have run some system utilities to try and restore damaged system files etc, i want to force the pc to do some work to keep net and cpu busy in order to check for freezes etc, any idea?
>>
If i use a vpn, or two to torrent on campus can my university, or companys still track me down and sue me to death
>>
>>56376507
No, your university only would see encrypted traffic and thats it.
>>
>>56376507
No, they won't notice you are using p2p. Just get a proper VPN that doesn't log anything, e.g. www.airvpn.org which I use myself
>>
>>56376374
Damn. I hope it wouldnt get to that. I bought it for cheap i cant know if the guy stole it and sold for cheap because of that.

But he had guy install fresh win7 on it so it must be possible to bypass. Any ideas?
>>
>>56376244
If its a enterprise laptop you are done.

If its a normal one just remove CMOS battery or use the jumper.

Remove HDD, boot on USB, insert HDD.
>>
Is a phone being capable of listening to radio frequencies less secure than just the typical NFC capable phone?
>>
>>56376483
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows10-anniversary-update-common-problems-how-fix
>>
What would earth smell like to alien newcomers?
>>
When a phone resets itself even after returning it to factory settings and the batteries just discharges fast it means the phone is kill right?
>>
>>56376712
Like the asscrack of a 700 pound manchild.
>>
I recently bought a samsung ssd and installed it no problem but Magician won't recognize the AHCI mode, this is curious since I have an Asus Z170A so the sata ports are by default set to AHCI.
Is Magician fucking with me or what? Also, should I care about this or not?
>>
>>56370352
Lern assembler then c, then c++ and try to understand things, dont be a scriptkiddie faggot
>>
>>56376608
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintohdd/index.html
>>
>>56376608
Dude, just run the install disk from inside windows, like you were doing an upgrade. You can still choose to do a full format during setup.
>>
>>56376471
Encrypt your information and install a hidden lojack program.
>>
>>56376255
It varies from phone to phone some have the nfc attached to the battery or casing, some don't.
>>
My G4 started boot looping on Monday and I can't even get into the boot menu. Is there anything I can do? Even board level repairs to get it functioning again?
>>
>>56375901
9 3/4
>>
>>56374266
Nice pasta.
>>
So how about
Order two intel cpu on amazon an i7 and a celeron
Delid both
Crack the die on the celeron and put the i7 HFS on it
Return it as a faulty i7 and get refunded
Keep the i7 with the celeron lid

???
What could go wrong?
>>
>>56373845
>>
How would I install xposed on cm13 redmi n3p?
>>
>>56373425
No, but you can try throwing a stronger antenna on your device
>>
>>56376987
>>56377046

Check XDA.
>>
File: nvidia-maxwell-chip-640x353.jpg (59KB, 640x353px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-maxwell-chip-640x353.jpg
59KB, 640x353px
So this shit architecture has an issue with displayport and possibly W7 where if the the computer enters sleep mode or the monitor enters a low power mode, the graphics card refuses to send data to the monitor until power is cycled.

do Displayport (M) to HDMI or DVI (M) adapters exist? if they do, do they exist in a form that will allow for 1440p@60Hz? I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the DP port on the graphics card, so using another port should work.
>>
Why doesn't running
awful.mouse.resize.set_mode("after") 

Seem to work? I'm having problems with live updates during window resize on awesome being a little slow due to this being a VM and this sounds like a great solution for me, to update windows once I let go of the key but I get an error about trying to populate a nil field.
>>
>>56373425
You could get a WiFi repeater and plug it in midway
>>
>>56376978
thanks, and is using an aftermarket battery a bad idea?
>>
>>56377117
In general no, although a lot of them are shite and will crap out on ya or overheat. Check reviews and hope for the best.
>>
>>56377100
Wifi repeaters suck ass. They're the correct solution to almost no problems.
>>
>>56377079
Yeah they're a thing. Cheap too. Passive ones are fine. Just make sure you're going dual link dvi (dual link does not equal dvi-d) or that your card and display both support HDMI 2.0
>>
>>56376695
thanks
>>
>arch
>gdm
>.xinitrc exists and can be run manually
>.xinitrc does not run on startup

What the fuck is the disconnect here?
>>
>>56377144
thanks a lot friend
>>
>>56377211
umm well you don't ``run'' xinitrc, startx looks for it and uses it if it exists

Are you just wanting X to start when you boot up? SLiM DM might be something you like, as it supports an ``xinitrc'' session so you just log in and it is the same as running startx
>>
>>56377074
Didn't help
>>
New Thread

>>56377219
>>56377219
>>56377219
>>56377219
>>
>>56377268
Then as a general rule you're boned.
>>
>>56377182
Both support both. Is one better than the other? Should I use dual link DVI just because HDMI is nonfree?

I can't seem to find any online.
>>
>>56377315
I don't know where you're getting "nonfree" from. Might as well go with HDMI if you've got 2.0 support.
>>
>>56377416
DRM is included in HDMI by design.
>>
File: gsgsg.png (108KB, 578x582px) Image search: [Google]
gsgsg.png
108KB, 578x582px
Whats a good emoji keyboard for android?
I have a Galaxy S4 and emojis arent native to it. I like the swype board but my mother, wife, and girlfriend keep using emojis that i cant even see unless a keyboard that has them is installed.

I got the Kika emoji pro one but not only does it not have 3 out of the 4 emojis id actually use, but its filled with dumb shit. Pic relate. I just want the official unicode emojis; preferably all of them but not any of this large clips of miss piggy smacking kermit or clips from The Flash tv show or shit.. Ads everywhere..
also unless i manually turn it off, and even then it occassionally turns itself back on without even updating, ill get push notifications for ads. twice an hour even.

is there a really basic one? One with all the unicode emojis, no ads, or at least not all this other bullshit like gifs n shit?
>>
>>56377422
HDCP. And it's in both. DVI is essentially indistinguishable from HDMI except for the lack of audio.
>>
i m worried about the contento of an usb drive, how would you check its content safely?
>>
Anyone know where to find sound files of hello master for desktop startup
>>
>>56378173
save as hello.vbs then add to your start up apps

Set Sapi = Wscript.CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice")
Sapi.speak "Welcome, Jordan-san. The current time is"
if hour(time) > 12 then
Sapi.speak hour(time)-12
else
if hour(time) = 0 then
Sapi.speak "12"
else
Sapi.speak hour(time)
end if
end if
if minute(time) < 10 then
Sapi.speak "o"
if minute(time) < 1 then
Sapi.speak "clock"
else
Sapi.speak minute(time)
end if
else
Sapi.speak minute(time)
end if
if hour(time) > 12 then
Sapi.speak "P.M."
else
if hour(time) = 0 then
if minute(time) = 0 then
Sapi.speak "Midnight"
else
Sapi.speak "A.M."
end if
else
if hour(time) = 12 then
if minute(time) = 0 then
Sapi.speak "Noon"
else
Sapi.speak "P.M."
end if
else
Sapi.speak "A.M."
end if
end if
end if
Sapi.speak "Senpai"
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.